[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: winter.jpg (414 KB, 1150x592) Image search: [Google]
winter.jpg
414 KB, 1150x592
Hey tg, short time no see. I've been working on a setting wherein a classical fantasy world has been completely devasted by magical and draconic warfare some 300 years hence. Nature, albeit in rather extreme forms, has reclaimed most of the world. Summers are hotter, winters are harsher and the woods have grown wild, unruly and terrifying.
Ruins of once-great cities and fortresses stand as a testament to the former might of the three former kingdoms of yore, whilst the remains of the population remains hidden beneath the surface in vast underground dungeons that just barely skimmer the egde of the Underdark.
Now, who are the adventurers in this setting?
I've had in mind to make them the agents of an organization not unlike that of Isaac Asimovs Foundation - their quests would be about regaining the magic and power of the previous age in order to ensure the survival of their people, all the while finding more and more underground cities to ally and protect.
In a setting like this, what would you like to see included? Think of magic as a sort of nuclear energy - extremely powerful, but incredibly volatile in the hands of the untrained, able to warp and corrupt those who use it without a degree of safety.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated, I suppose.
>>
>>44620970
Put some Metro 2033 elements in there as well.
>The surviving population has formed factions in the undergrounds that can span between different underground cities.
>Could be a conflict between one or more factions over the scarce resources underground.
>The adventurers can find both friendly and hostile scouting parties on the surface, as well as animals that has been twisted by magic: A blood thirsty 2 feet tall 600lb Rabbit.
>Find lore bits here and there in both items and books scattered across the kingdoms, detailing the war and other good bits. (Think Dark Souls' way of showing lore)
>>
>>44621218
Sounds nice, will do. Was kinda thinking I'd let it play through and slowly reveal that a second organization with the exact same original goals has claimed the greatest city left on the surface, but fallen prey to ambition, the corrupting power of magic and maybe a dark god or something. They'd definitely be using magically corrupted beasts (gnolls, orcs, kobolds, whatever) as their main force, with an elite cadre of "pure" warriors as the core. They'd probably be warring with Drow raiders for slaves and other resources.
>>
File: badass-killerrabbit.jpg (29 KB, 470x297) Image search: [Google]
badass-killerrabbit.jpg
29 KB, 470x297
>>44621218
And the rabbit would make it rather Pythonesque.
>I'll just a young white dragons stats with no flying.
>And make it a rabbit.
>What could go wrong?
>>
File: 1416637377441.jpg (477 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1416637377441.jpg
477 KB, 1280x1024
>>44620970
>what would you like to see included

Me. I love post-apoc fantasy with overgrown ruins, especially if the creators of said ruins suffered from gigantomania, and I never got to play in this kind of setting before.

...Abandoned buildings, or better, abandoned libraries are just a thing for me.
>>
If you need some inspiration, look to Dark Souls.
>>
File: fuckin' wizards.jpg (158 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
fuckin' wizards.jpg
158 KB, 773x1000
>>44621968
Well of course it's supposed to be enormous, these dudes shaped reality with magic. I've been tinkering with maybe including a faction of Chronomancers who wanna harness enough magical power from massive not!conductors scattered around massive locales through a ton of innocent souls...
>>44622246
>should have said inbf "git gud"
Actually never tried it, is it any fun? Mostly played Total War, Dragon Age, Batman games and Company of Heroes....
>>
>>44622892
Also, these Chronomancers want to turn back time to the previous age. With probable horrifying results.
>>
>>44622892
Dark Souls is good, but is not to everyone's taste due to the difficulty involved, as well as the lack of conveniently placed plot exposition.

The big thing about gameplay is that the character dies and gets exhausted quite easily, which contrasts with a lot of modern games in which you could take a lot of hits, swing your sword forever, and so on. This fragility adds a certain grit to battles, in which you will be conserving your strength and feeling any hit you take. It's brutal, but fun.

Gameplay aside, the game has great sights. The setting is post-apocalyptic in that it takes place in the remains of an ancient kingdom that actually *defeated an apocalypse of dragons*, and then fell to the inevitability of time. Everything is HUGE, and the lack of any sort of narration except for the occasional bit of text or few spoken phrases here and there, make it really easy to immerse in. The Hydra Lake and the Ash Lake are some of my favourite sights in games.
>>
>>44622892
>>44623491
Oh, and I forgot to add that I played it singleplayer, because I honestly did not want my experience to be interrupted by "xXxDiCKaSS420xXx has entered your world for random murderkilling!" every now and then, and getting multiplayer allies for boss battles is just plain easymode.
>>
Isn't that the original premise of sword of shannara?
>>
>>44625363
Honestly wouldn't know. Sure hope HBO don't sue me for copyright infringement.
>>
>>44625386
It was more of a "nuclear holocaust somehow creates generic fantasy races, magic, and demons" and less of a magical cataclysm vibe like I'm getting from yours

I honestly hated those books though, so I like your idea better
>>
>>44620970
So were the Dwarves like valters? They went deep underground and sealed up their cities for generations to guard against the devastation.
>>
>>44625980
Thanks.
>>44626136
That might work. I had in mind to mix everything together though - in desperation, a lot of dwarven holds and the Underway where seized by elves and humans (and some of those friggin' halflings) in order to ensure their own survival. There might be an extremist dwarven faction that would seek to exterminate all the intruders, but most clans and holds would probably try to adapt.
>>
>>44620970
>No one has mentioned Dark sun.
Plebs.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.