[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wodg/&/cofd/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: A Dead Game.jpg (527 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
A Dead Game.jpg
527 KB, 1600x900
Oh shit, I didn't realize how fast the thread was going2

So I'm finally getting my group together to talk pack creation. Let's talk about your groups. What are they like? What are the characters like and why are they together? Do a draw-your-group if you feel like it.

Previous thread: >>44592522
-----------------------------------------------
>We have a booru, add things to it! (Be sure to tag well)
urbfan.booru.com
>Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-changeling-the-dreaming-20th-anniversary-ed
>The Onyx Path Official Website
http://theonyxpath.com/
>Drive-Thru RPG, for all your legally-obtained book needs
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/
>A Mega bin, for your less legally-obtained book needs
https://mega.nz/#F!wpB0ib4a!EsAU0AE4ihrNlDWzp3-MIw
>The Chronicles of Darkness Core Book(Which isn't in the Mega link)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Abn1a6PgUCa19KbjdNcmNMWms/view?pli=1MWms/view?pli=1

>Bunch of dumb tumblrs that are filled with WoD jokes
http://puttingthevigilinvigilantism.tumblr.com/
http://hedgingyourbets.tumblr.com/
http://atlanteanstupidity.tumblr.com/
http://inthenameofthemoonmoon.tumblr.com/
http://whatshouldvampirescallme.tumblr.com/
http://whathappeninthechantry.tumblr.com/
http://harpiesgonnaharp.tumblr.com/

No one saw that
>>
>>44617254
>>>44617046 (OP)
>Forgot the Subject, OP.
You know nothing, Jon Snow.
But here's a repost of your post that got mysteriously lost. I don't know how that happened at all or anything.
>But in answer to your question, I'm hoping to get some of those details set out tomorrow, so we can start playing as soon as Mage 2e is released.
>Why are they together though?
>Because a powerful Mage died, and left his sanctum (sans mystic resources) to any group of Mages who would commit to forming a Cabal centered upon it. Their mentors (they're all fresh out of apprenticeship) signed them up for it and they had no chance to object.
>So now they have to make their new association work, progress in their mystic understanding, try to keep their feet in a Consilium preparing and arguing over a prophesied Crux of Fate, and try and figure out the truth behind the strange, eclectic and mysterious phenomenon which plague this section of town.
>All while not being eaten by angry, angry werewolves.
>>
Good day for WoD. Demon Storyteller's Guide is really fun, Dreams of Avarice is pretty dang nice if you want some hardcore Mummy lore. I really wanna play Giants in the Earth and Altered State.
>>
>>44617354
The group from my now-defunct(?) Werewolf game:
>Alpha(Me) is a foreign/French Cahalith Iron Master named Jon who spent an unfortunate amount of the game not being directly involved with much, due to computer issues. Character is a cook at a smaller diner in our territory, mostly because it's his fall-back if a music career doesn't happen, which it probably won't.
>We also have a Rahu Blood Talon from Norway(?) named Kajsa, whose father ended up going Pure and leaving her with a nasty reputation. She fucking wrecks in combat, and is pretty sensible outside of it.
>The last non-Polish character in our game set in Poland is an Irraka Blood Talon who killed a family because they saw him in Hishu "just in case", tossed a pizza box with human body parts in it on the street, and something else I can't remember that happened while my PC was giving me issues. His player dropped out, and we ended up having to deal with someone who knew the people he killed later on.
>Starting with Polish people, our other Irraka is a Hunter in Darkness who works for the government; we never really learned much about it, beyond him having a woman on speed-dial who he kept calling for information on various things, but he was PROBABLY a spy
>And last, our Ithaeur Bone Shadow, who some people here might remember because she went into garou/death rage in the first session in order to kill her Abuser touchstone, in a crowded room that people were partying in. She was a med student, and had a habit of mind-raping people and spirits alike.
>Our Totem is a knowledge/war spirit we call the Skald, who resembles a soldier made of paper
>>
I'm planning to have a Promethean appear in my Mage game and I've decided that Mages are not effected by Disquiet (I'm ruling it to be a unique form of Disbelief) but that got me thinking, have any of you guys featured Disquiet and other supernatural templates? How did it effect them, if at all?
I imagine that Werewolves would probably flip out at Prometheans, with the Wasteland adding onto that.
>>
>>44617768
Well, one of the reveals in the Demon Storyteller's Guide is that Demons don't suffer Disquiet, but unless they ACT like they are, they get Compromised.
>>
>>44617808
Oh, that's super interesting! Can they tell if they're Prometheans?
>Angels herding Prometheans into Demon controlled areas
>Demons start acting like assholes to all weirdos just in case
>"Dude why are you being such an asshole to those hobos? That's not like you!"
>Cover degrades
It's perfect!
>>
>>44617354
>Do a draw-your-group if you feel like it.

Oh yeah, let me try that!
>>
So for Altered State, I should pretty much be playing either the Ghost in the Shell OST or the Shin Megami Tensei IV OST at all times when running it, huh.
>>
>>44618277
Huh?
>>
>>44617808
There a download link for the Demon Storyteller's Guide yet?
>>
>>44617554
So edgy
>>
>>44618328

Altered State is one of the alternative Demon settings in Demon Storyteller Guide. It's set in a world where the God-Machine revealed itself, created a city known as Mechopolis, sealed a bunch of people inside, and totally controlled the reality in the city. Cut to years later and the city is run by Angels, with a group of Stigmatics as the secret police and Demons as the Resistance trying to bring it all down. Basically, it's Demon gone full Cyberpunk.
>>
Chris, does the Totem's Aspiration refresh? Or is it an always thing? Does the Totem have ONE Aspiration forever, or does it have a different one every day or week or whatever?
>>
>>44618608
When its aspiration is fulfilled it gets a new one (like everyone else)
>>
>>44618627
When it's fulfilled by any one player, or is it fulfilled next chapter?
>>
>>44618639
When it's fulfilled.

Aspiration: Kill the King.
The aspiration isn't fulfilled until the king is dead (or the act rendered impossible).
You could change it if you skipped a chapter, if you want.

Totem aspirations are an easy way of getting the pack to follow a story.
>>
>>44618639

When it gets fulfilled, it gets a new one, like regular Aspirations. It'll probably still be related to its greater wants and needs.

>>44618682

To get video gamey with it, you could use a Totem's Aspiration as the Main Story Quest if you really wanted. Just, you know, don't expect it to be followed right away cause Werewolves have got their Aspirations too, which can be just as important.
>>
>>44618682
>>44618710
>Totem aspirations are an easy way of getting the pack to follow a story.
... holy shit that's brilliant
>>
>>44618487
>Basically, it's Demon gone full Cyberpunk.

Or Demon gone full-Matrix or full-Dark City.

But man, the Demon STG makes me want more of them for other splats. Imagine a Changeling world where Arcadia and the real world merge in an explosion of thorns? Islands of reality surrounded by Fairy Tale nightmares...
>>
>>44618970
>. Imagine a Changeling world where Arcadia and the real world merge in an explosion of thorns? Islands of reality surrounded by Fairy Tale nightmares...
Sounds like the fantasy world from Mirrors
>>
Why aren't there rules for explosives and such in the CofD Core? I need them for my Eliminator Cannon ;_;
>>
>>44619259
They're in Hurt Locker. They're kind of dumb and I hope they get changed.
>>
>>44619288
Do you happen to know where I can find the new rules for explosives specifically?
>>
File: EquipmentandWeapons.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
EquipmentandWeapons.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44619314
>>
>>44619314
>They're in Hurt Locker.
I didn't have it, but >>44619338 got you covered
>>
>>44619338
Thanks bud. How exactly does the Eliminator Cannon Process work now under those rules? It doesn't have any Force values, I'm going to guess that it will just deal its normal damage until it gets errata'd or something?
>>
>>44618970

I think it's about time for a whole book of alternative settings, like a much more focused Mirrors.
>>
>>44619408
Yessss. I knew I wasn't the only one who wanted that. Dark Eras can help, but I want more like Altered State.
>>
Holy shit, Dreams of Avarice is golden. Every word of it.

It's like everything I liked from Book of the Deceived, but as an entire book all its own.
>>
At what point do hunters start to become slashers?
>>
I just want Demon Storyteller's Guides for every other game.

Mostly Mummy. But Hunter and Changeling can play, too.
>>
>>44619553
When they start to get insanity
>>
File: Detective Bat.png (3 MB, 1280x1752) Image search: [Google]
Detective Bat.png
3 MB, 1280x1752
>The Detective On Leather Wings
>Aspiration: Find a Crime
>A powerful Ensih of Gotham, the Detective takes the form of an oversized bat, like a demon from some child’s nightmares. With its piercing eyes it seems to look into the soul of the cowardly and superstitious lot, searching for weakness. It takes the form of a bat, but at it’s heart the spirit is a detective, uncovering information hidden away in the dark corners of the city, where the vagrants live and the sky is darkened by buildings. It will ferret out answers wherever it needs to, even at great risk, and expects those that follow it to do the same.
>Rank:
>Power ●●● Finesse ●●●●●●● Resistance ●●●●●
>Corpus: [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
>Willpower ●●●●●●●●●●, Essence: 15
>Influences
>Clues: ●
>Determination: ●●●
>Size: 4, Defense: 5, Speed: 20, Initiative: +12
>Numina: Awe, Innocuous, Implant Mission, Stalwart
>Blessing: To help it further it’s own agenda of vigilance and vengeance--and to aid in their own agendas--the Detective On Leather Wings grants the Pack that follows it one dot of Wits as well as an Investigation specialty in (Crime Scenes).
>Ban: Never ignore a crime. If significant wrongdoing goes unpunished, the Detective (and the pack bound to it) must do everything in it’s power to reveal the misdeed and bring about some form of justice. Failure to do so results in a loss of Essence. Ignoring the crime means spending all remaining Willpower.
>Bane: Evidence from a Cold Case (5+ years unsolved crime) from the GCPD Evidence Locker.

Rate my group's Totem. This is the result of the night.
>>
>>44619553
When the little old lady down the street starts looking like a monster.

No, the one that ISN'T actually a monster.
>>
>>44619536

I wish the Heretic sections were more readable font wise and whatever the fuck happened on Page 44 didn't happen, but that book's really good. The book reveals a TON of about what's going on in the Mummy side of CofD. All we need is a Book of Judges to triangulate the Decieved, Heretic, and Judge's stories and I think we'd finally have the truth of the matter.

I also want to play or run a No-Name Gang game now.
>>
>>44619567
>Hunter
>Vampire Apocalypse leads to societal collapse, survivors fight tribes of lesser vampires or super strong lone bloodsuckers
>The Pure win, mashing the spirit world with the physical to try and recreate Pangaea. Hunters attempt to carve out physical lands devoid of the influence of spirits
>Mages become a known quality without Paradox. Hunters kidnap them or assassinate them for the government. Blade Runner with wizards.
>Altered State demon and hunter team ups
I could dig it
>>
Based on recent CofD books, The Sun must be the angriest motherfucker in the entire setting.

>As Helios, watch your brother-in-law be murdered by his own kids
>Your sister has fallen into depression
>As Re, watch an entire people dedicated to you commit a crime so great it breaks time, and then the cosmic survivors shit talk about you to this very day.
>Some asshole that calls himself The General is trying to carve out your territory and she doesn't know her fucking place
>Keep horrible space spirits out of the Earth constantly
>The fucking Idigam got through anyways, because people are IDIOTS
>Some robo-assholes want to leave your protection so they can create Hell on Mars or whatever the fuck
>>
>>44619915
I like to think he's pretty laid back and chill.
>>
>>44607523
Hey have a bit of a conundrum. The vampire errata mentions bloodbond effect demons. But demon storytellers guide says that demons are immune when in demonic form. So does this means that it can bloodbond a demons cover but not it true form, its ture form is effected if the bloodbond only if the vampire gets him while in cover? Or something along those line.
>>
Helios doesn't keep space spirits off Earth; that's Luna. Helios keeps Earth spirits out of space.
>>
>>44620230

Oh, I mixed them up then. Sorry about that!
>>
Helios and helion spirits will hopefully be expounded upon in greater length in future Werewolf or Mage books. The extensive mythology and symbology concerning the sun offers great character and role-playing opportunities and story potential.
>>
>>44618431
It cam out like six hours ago, give it some time.
>>
>>44619722

I would pay money to be in a No-Name Gang chronicle. I guess I'll just have to tide myself over by watching Stargate instead.

This book being so good just makes the absence of Book of Going Westward hurt even more.
>>
>>44620428
Some people clearly already have it.
>>
>>44617354
My group?
My character works at a bar run by a fellow named Lou, which may or may not be short for Lucifer. He and his roommate ended up encountering a spirit while investigating some gang violence down at the docks. They managed to fight it off, if temporarily.

This got the attention of a Detective who lived on the same apartment building as us, since the violence at the docks was related to his partner going missing. He was also a werewolf. The spirit ended up coming back and my roommate fell down the stairs, breaking his neck. Came back as a sin-eater. I awoke later, Acanthus.

The detective ended up using us as assets in rescuing his partner, who had been captured by a vampire gang leader with a looooooot of ghouls. This got him a promotion. He works with Vanguard now, since he's, according to his captain "too good for the LAPD."
>>
>>44617768
>I've decided that Mages are not effected by Disquiet
Like, not at all?
>I imagine that Werewolves would probably flip out at Prometheans, with the Wasteland adding onto that.
Yup. If nothing else because all that negative emotion's GOTTA fuck with the twilight somehow.
>>44617808
>Well, one of the reveals in the Demon Storyteller's Guide is that Demons don't suffer Disquiet, but unless they ACT like they are, they get Compromised.
HA! Knew it!
>>44618487
>>44618277
That sounds utterly brilliant. I'd probably get it, but CoDa's left me somewhat grumpy in that regard.
>>44619408
-Wild West
-Gothic Fantasy around the 17th Century
-Cold War core expansion + Second Sight 2E.
>>
>>44619655
That's pretty awesome, to be honest.
>>
>>44617768

I'm pretty sure the 1e crossover rules for Disquiet (mages *are* affected, unless they make themselves not be affected) are in one of Promethean's supplements.

It's the same in 2e, anyway - raw (which you should totally change if it suits you) is that mages suffer Disquiet, but can remove it with a Mind 2 spell.
>>
>>44621228

Dave, what Arcana would you use for Sekhem manipulation? I'd previously thought Prime, but I think there's a case for Fate and Life in there somewhere.
>>
>>44621236
Depends what Pillar.

Seriously, it's a complicated subject, which we go into at length in the upcoming Dark Eras Companion. Oddly enough, the Mummy/Mage crossover era has the detailed Mummy/Mage crossover rules in it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (59 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
59 KB, 612x612
>>44621228
THE LIZARD KING HAS SPOKEN! LONG LIVE THE KING!
>>
>>44621245
Would we finally see rules for mortal magicians using the Mummy cosmology/magic mechanics? "Iremite sorcery", or somesuch?
>>
>>44621245

Color me excited.

I binged on your Actual Plays over the weekend and they really helped win me over on Mage, by the way. You've made a convert of me.
>>
I desperately wish I had Mage Sight.

Which Arcana do you think would be most fun?
>>
>>44621341
Forces. Every other Arcana can be replicated with Forces and enough intelligence, except Prime.
>>
>>44621296

Sekhem-based Sorcerers aren't Awakened mages. They're more like Promethean's alchemists. I *think* they get their mechanics somewhere else in an upcoming book.
>>
>>44621404
Were the ones who originally constructed the Rite of Return, though?
>>
>>44621404
I know, that's precisely what I intended. Call it a personal fuckup, but I really, really, really dislike crossovers. I prefer to think of each gameline as its own contained cosmology, so I prefer it when it allows for things like that to happen.

Speaking of which, do Pyros alchemists get their own rules in the upcoming Promethean book?
>>
>>44621428
I doubt they were even human.
>>
>>44621428
The Shan'iatu/Temakhs? They're not even human beings.
>>
>>44621428

The Shan'iatu were sentient constructs of pure magic crafted by the Judges, not human mages.
>>
>>44621228
Thanks for the advice, Dave! I'll fish around for that supplement.
And yeah, the players might be dealing with this Promethean for a while, so I might play up the pangs of revulsion or fear, but I've never been comfortable dictating to players how they're feeling especially over a long period of time (although Mortal Remains does a damn good job of telling you how you might go about it).

Although, I'm definitely going to have Sleepers and Sleepwalkers fully effected and the Wasteland train is gonna be rolling out the station. Is a life, even one as ragged as a Promethean's, more important than the Hallows of the area?

Plus, the Promethean is gonna turn out to be a product of a Archmaster before they ascended, using the powers of Life and Mind. The only reason it's not a fully functioning human (or Mage for that matter) is because of Abyss fuckery. Though the Archmaster is beyond the Lie, their creations are not.
>>
>>44621404
>an upcoming book

All we have left is Rio, Dark Eras, and the fiction anthology. You sure?
>>
>>44617373
>All while not being eaten by angry, angry werewolves.
Stop fucking with Gaia and you won't have that problem.
>>
>>44621547
You want the Strange Alchemies book for the crossover rules. Basically though, Mages and Vampires can't make Prometheans because to make them you have devote your heart and soul to their creation, which is why their makers tend to be insane. Mages and Vampires that make them use their powers, which are considered cheating in their process of making them. You gotta do it old school for making a Promethean.
>>
>>44621607
Thanks for the name, I'll be checking it out swiftly! But, if you want to be technical about it, the Prothy is a creature made from an indefinite Life spell and indefinite Mind spell, but when the Archmaster ascended, their works were retroactively tainted by the Abyss. They serve their intended functions (such as a Dagger that can bestow an Awakening when stabbed into someone, our Prothy friend) but are also have a corruption (the dagger will take away someone's Gnosis if they are not a Sleeper/Sleepwalker, the Prothy invokes Disquiet and Wasteland as a bastard form of Paradox).
The main thrust of the chronicle is actually gathering up these artifacts and figuring out who the fuck made them and why they have such dark powers, along with their benevolent abilities
Also the Dagger is a one use item, if anyone is worried my players are going to go on a Awakening Stabbing Spree. It's a tool to present them with a choice; enlighten someone for almost no guaranteed payback, or send someone back into Sleep for their personal gain. I can't wait to see which they pick.
>>
>>44621690

Life and Mind gets you an ambulatory, talking corpse, not a Promethean. You need some Prime and Spirit at the very least.

A Promethean is defined by the Pyros burning within, the Divine Fire that can become a soul someday. Lacking that potential, you just have a clever zombie.
>>
is there a section in slasher that specifically details how you handle converting a hunter into a slasher?
>>
So how'd you do Eric from The Crow in NWoD?
>>
>>44621814
>So how'd you do Eric from The Crow in NWoD?
I saw that Roll20 game.
>>
>>44621814
You take Rachel Hrafn (oh god such an obvious reference) from CofD, and genderswap her.
DONE.
>>
>>44621814
That film was just so fucking early ninties, it was made FOR the old world of darkness. But not the new one.
>>
>>44621708
>Lacking that potential, you just have a clever zombie.
You would call someone whose soul has been removed a zombie?
>>
Am I a big edge lord for wanting to play a Promethean who's starts off concentrating on Centimani? Would I have to be the asshole team-mate, or can you still refine it without be a colossal dick?
I just think it'd be fun to play a character who's taken the stance that "If I can understand Flux at the very beginning, then I can avoid a bunch of Pandorian shit later in the Great Work" (although it'd still be fun to be proven very, very wrong about that assumption).
>>
>>44622025
>Am I a big edge lord for wanting to play a Promethean who's starts off concentrating on Centimani?
Yes, don't do it.
>>
>>44622186
Oh okay
>>
>>44621814
He's a Revenant. They're in Antagonists.

>>44621878
Rachel Hrafn?
>>
>>44620222
The Cover can be Vitae-addicted and Blood Bond. The Demonic Form cannot. Only the Cover that is suffering from this is affected.
>>
>>44620293
>The extensive mythology and symbology concerning the sun offers great character and role-playing opportunities and story potential.
How so?
>>44620230
Helios pushes spirits out of the Shadow
>>44619915
>brother-in-law
>thinking wolf and moon got married
>>44619553
When they start killing humans (and are Morality 3 or less)
>>
File: TheLostBoys.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
TheLostBoys.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Since you kept whining about Hurt Locker, here's another microtemplate, the Lost Boys.
>>
Hey I got a game coming up Wednesday for vampire and we are to be elders so I'm going to go for a nazi scientist character. Is there any vampire books set in ww2?
>>
>>44623278
An elder would be older than Nazism.

But no, no vampire books set in ww2. No books at all set in WW2, though one Wraith book details the aftereffects of it on the Underworld.
>>
>>44623293
There's a fair amount on WW2 in the WtA Fenrir tribebook.
>>
>>44623342
>>44623293
We don't don't include other game lines as characters options, we did it once and it got messy. Kinda odd how they never did nazi book for vampire but they did for werewolf
>>
>>44623387
They meant that there's info about WWII in those books.

Also, Get of Fenris are literally Nazis, so it makes sense that you'd cover WWII a bit.
>>
>>44623417
Only a few of us were! And we killed them all.
>>
>>44623417
>Get of Fenris are literally Nazis
Best tribe being best tribe, well cheers I'll read that then a bit of the wraith book
>>
>>44623457
It's in the first chapter, under tribal history. Long story short: the wyrm had no overt hand in it, it was all humans being humans.
>>
>>44619655
10/10. Ignore that I'm part of the group
>>
>>44618608
It works like other aspirations; it might be an open-ended one that's unlikely to change, like the Enduring Smith of Bronze who had 'Craft metal objects' or the stag totem that had 'Protect the woodland' as aspirations. However, a totem might have a more directed aspiration for the pack, like 'raise the totem's power in the Shadow to gather its own court' or suchlike, which would change once achieved.

And yes, the aspiration might also change over time due to other factors.
>>
>>44619655
Solve a crime would probably be a better aspiration.

It requires them to also find a crime to begin with, but goes further than that.
>>
>>44620293
There's an interesting bit of sun-related content in The Pack, though probably not what people might expect.
>>
File: IMG_1654.jpg (343 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1654.jpg
343 KB, 1600x1066
>>44623600
Tanned werewolves trying to gain Helios' allegiance?
>>
File: Sarif Low Res.jpg (5 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
Sarif Low Res.jpg
5 KB, 244x207
>>44623097
>"Last-Chance" Protocol merit

"Hey, Adam!"
>>
>>44623624
Sure, why not.

On a completely different note, I just found my cabal/consilii notes for an Awakening game I ran for a bit set in 1750s colonial America. Sadly it came to an end when one group member moved overseas. I'd forgotten how detailed and complete some of the notes were.
>>
>>44623759
Did you propose it for Dark Eras?
Care to share?
>>
File: who hunt by moonlight.png (612 KB, 1548x700) Image search: [Google]
who hunt by moonlight.png
612 KB, 1548x700
>Do Uratha emit a field that makes Unchained brains not work?

>Because literally everything in that section is causing me to pound my head against the table-not because it's poorly written, not hardly, every mistake the demons make is understandable. It's just that everything they came up with is more or less utterly perpendicular to the truth. Apparently, demons think the Pure are heroic rebels fighting against an unjust god. The Pure, who include religious fanatics, literal fascists, and misanthropic neo-barbarians among their number.

>Are you seriously telling me that no demon with Rip the Gates has been in the Shadow long enough to realize that, maybe, you should believe the Forsaken when they tell you their drive to keep the human and spirit worlds separate is best for all involved? Or that nobody's told them idigam were imprisoned on the moon, and the reason they came back was the Apollo Missions?
>>
File: Mage Notes.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mage Notes.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44623759
No I didn't; probably should have though. I've tried to attach it, let's see if this works (never attached something like this on 4chan before).

Some of the main plot lines were a growing rift between the Uncrowned Kings and the Tamers of Stone in the New World, each with their own Big Huge Vision of the New Future that clashed with the other; and of course between the colonial and native consilii, although we hadn't had a huge amount of interaction with the Iroquois side of things so I had the framework sketched out but only touched on the actual shenanigans going on within it.

Warning, some explanations and areas of the notes are incomplete or unclear since what they reference/the full explanation was partially in my head and not all typed out.
>>
>>44623876
This should have been in reply to >>44623778
>>
>>44623876
Heh, rereading through it brings back some memories.

The PCs ended up taking over the sanctum of Haskallah, a dead Nameless. Unfortunately, he had a herbarium with a strange fungus in it - referenced in the notes - that had broken free in the period between his death and the PCs turning up.

In the end, the idea for the fungus I took was that it was an actual Arcadian-infused flora of some kind, an extradimensional thing that attempted to 'fix' damaged Fate where people had been killed who shouldn't have been. There was a half-real murderer running around who had been... I want to say died in the main timeline but survived in an alternate, hostile timeline that some of the main inhuman antagonists were incubating, and came back before going on a serial killing spree.

Since the killer wasn't supposed to even exist, his killings were mucking up fates and destinies. The loose fungus spores ended up mulching the dead bodies and rebuilding them as human/fungus hybrids that then attempted to take the place of the dead peoples' lives as a patch-job on the tattered tapestry of Fate.

We had a great scene with two of the fungus-people facing the cabal, with the cabal trying to figure out if they should kill the false people and the fungi saying 'but WHY would you kill us?'.

That was a fun campaign, shame it was cut short.
>>
>>44623850
I don't think there's been much back and forth between demons and wolves. The wolves would probably just look at them as yet another spirit fucking around in their territory
>>
>>44621828
Anyone ever played that, I just got the book and it looks like HtV and MtA had a lovechild.
>>
>>44617354
Just came in to say that the thread opener pic is very nice. Much better than the other ones.
>>
>>44624252
Well, that one is one of the few pics that is actually WoD/CofD art. Most of the others are generic Urban Fantasy/Monster movie art.
>>
>>44624241
They don't behave anything remotely like spirits, though. Werewolves should be the best equipped to realize this in the entire WoD.
>>
>>44622566
>Rachel Hrafn?

One of the example Horrors.

If you don't get it, Hrafn is the old Norse (and Icelandic) word for raven.
>>
>>44623876
That's pretty cool, I always liked finding my old notes.

>>44623988
Sounds wild, I'm surprised you're not writing more for Mage.
>>
>>44624241
>I don't think there's been much back and forth between demons and wolves.
Why? Demons bump into other supernaturals all the time. They're practically guaranteed to, since they have to keep on the move to remain unfound by angels/GM
>>
>>44624241
Demons look a lot more like Claimed than regular spirits at first glance, for an Uratha.

The probability that The Pack will offer a bit of wordcount on demons and werewolves is greater than 0%.
>>
>>44624650
The Pack sounds more and more interesting sa time goes by.

We've been having arguments lately about magath. Are they all super evil, wrecking up the universe by their mere existence? Or can one have a magath totem without everyone going mad?
>>
>>44623035

Common Law Marriage. Common Law Marriage!

>>44621449
>>44621537
>>44621541

I haven't read Book of the Deceived in a while, but Dreams of Avarice is still kind of fresh in my mind. How on track am I with this timeline?

Old Gods create the Judges and Ammut, Judges create the Shan'iatu/Temakh, Shan'iatu murder Azar, Irem and the Nameless Empire is established around his corpse, the Guilds are formed, the Shan'iatu get Ammut's help in doing the Rite of Return, a Slave Rebellion happens around the same time and they're all fed to her, Rite of Return happens, some Guild masters and guilds people in the Naming guild get fucked up in the process, and then the Sothic turns start. Anything I'm missing or wrong about?

>>44621559

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're at the end of the line, uneeds Dave knows something we don't or Sorcerers are showing up outside the Mummy line.
>>
>>44619915

Where is the Helios protects Earth from Aliums bit from?
>>
Hi,

I decided to use CofD system to run a post-apo Zombie compaign. I've read the CofD core rule book a couple of times.
I decided to discard all the supernatural parts and only use the realistic stuff.
I also managed to understand character creation ,abilities and skills, investigation, combat, Im still having a hard time with breaking points though.

Do you guys think I chose the right system for a zombie-apocalypse story ? Is it ok if I use other games as a source while discarding their mechanics and trying to adapt them to CofD system ? Im counting on using Palladium Dead Reign ideas and settings as an inspiration.
>>
>>44624839
I think you could still do the Integrity thing, there's a point in a lot of zombie things where people just hit a breaking point and give up/give in. You might have to choose different things FOR the breaking points, (though some are good
>>
File: 1451976463391.jpg (51 KB, 486x372) Image search: [Google]
1451976463391.jpg
51 KB, 486x372
Where can I catch up on all the metaplot that happened across all the lines in OWOD?
>>
>>44624882
extensive google searches for metaplot of various games
>>
>>44624839

CofD core is a decent enough base system for zombies, yeah. I would have suggested All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but you'll be fine with CofD. Dead Reign would probably fit in CofD's mechanics decently enough, though I'd say play some vanilla CofD first before trying to do any kind of rules conversion.
>>
>>44624882

This should get you started, though ultimately you're gonna have to hit the books for anything more than the Cliff Notes: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_(cWOD)
>>
>>44624747
Werewolf 2e, but it's the other way around - Luna keeps the ayy lmaos out, Helios crushes us all down to keep us in.

>The current in the Gauntlet during the day and the effect of Shadow-sunlight have the same cause. While Luna is ever-changing and protean, guarding the earthly Shadow from alien void spirits, her brother Helios is steadfast, unchanging, and pushes everything within the lunar sphere “in,” forcing Essence to ground, fixing spirits in place and creating the Shadow’s “gravity.”
>>
>>44624977
>her brother Helios is steadfast, unchanging, and pushes everything within the lunar sphere “in,” forcing Essence to ground, fixing spirits in place and creating the Shadow’s “gravity.”
Which is why the Shadow is subdued during the day, and why a lot of spirits try to escape across the Gauntlet to avoid it
>>
>>44624994
And why Helios hates werewolves, who killed Urfarah who kept a lot of that shit from happening and caused Pangaea to go away.
>>
>>44624977
>>44625015

So how come Gaia doesn't give a shit in nWoD?
>>
>>44625015
>>
>>44624693
Magath are unstable and mad rather than evil - bits of an already brutal ecosystem gone crazy.

A magath totem is possible but extremely dangerous. It's also likely to be quite hard to deal with in general, prone to doing things incomprehensible even by the alien standards of spirits and likely to cause the pack all sorts of trouble with its shenanigans.
>>
>>44625054
And endless source of fun for the players, then?
Also, that would be a prime example of disrespecting the shadow, according to the Fire Touched, right?
>>
>>44624923
Thanks. I was more interested in the doings of some of the named NPCs, such as Samuel Haight.

Which books would you recommend I read the fluff in to start?
>>
>>44625054
Are Magath any spirit that eats the wrong essence, so a car spirit that gets lost in a forest and takes in tree essence will always become a magath, or does it take unusual circumstances?
>>
>>44625097
read the book lol
>>
>>44625121
I suck at reading English
>>
>>44625097
It requires a lot of feeding of the wrong Essence.
Although if the car in question is a Jeep or suchlike, it might not go that wrong by eating some nature. It'll most certainly get dirtier though.
>>
>>44625082

The stories and doings of the NPCs are so wide and scattershot that it's difficult to pick out any one book that defines them. My suggestion would be to start here: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Classic_World_of_Darkness_characters

Find a character you like, check the sources and go from there. Most of the major characters and their story arcs are very well sourced.

For general metaplot event stuff, I always recommend Book of Nod, since it's a whole fluff book about Vampire's backstory.
>>
>>44625134
But ifit starts eating Boat essence...
>>
File: 20160107i.ytimg.com.jpg (225 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160107i.ytimg.com.jpg
225 KB, 1280x720
>>44625236
>>
>>44625035
New supernatural merit line. Called the Lost Boys, properly a God Machine plot.
http://theonyxpath.com/hurt-locker-the-lost-boys/
>>
File: 1451987640247.png (1 MB, 1049x674) Image search: [Google]
1451987640247.png
1 MB, 1049x674
>>44625190
That's very helpful, thanks!
>>
>>44625892

Don't thank me, thank IanW and the many passionate White Wolf Wiki folks.

Also, /RoDG/, I just realized something. One World of Darkness's metaplot is supposed to be changed by LARP, TV, Books, Comics, and Video Games, right? How does the LARPing part work? Is someone from Podunk, Poland going to be an actual, factual character in the oWoD, to rise up the ranks to show up in the other material? Is it going to be events only?

How I'd love to pick Dracula's brain about his plans for executing this.
>>
File: magath dog.png (135 KB, 540x636) Image search: [Google]
magath dog.png
135 KB, 540x636
>>44625035
She might not even exist!

But if she does she doesn't talk to anyone, except maybe the Keepers of the Source.

>>44625097
It takes some time.
>>
>>44625035
Why would a consciousness networked across trillions of spirits of geography, stone and metal give a shit about anything much? It's not like humanity is going to successfully crack the planet apart any time soon and in the meantime life, the organic infection on the planet's surface, continues to bubble away like a ghastly yeast experiment that pours an endless tide of Essence down the ravenous maw of the hive-consciousness.

(Note, the above is me making shit up about what Gaia might be, but if you want an idea of what a potential Gaia might be like it's best to a) discard any ideas of loving Earth-mothers and b) discard any ideas holding over from Apocalypse).
>>
>>44626055
I imagine that they won't focus solely on one person's character or them going up the ranks within whatever sponsored LARP they have, but take from it the overall events that occur during the LARP itself.
>>
>>44626259

That makes the most sense, yeah. I imagine the execution isn't going to be as integrated as much as White Wolf would like it to be. The creator controlled material probably sets the pace, the LARPs react to it, and maybe bits and pieces end up in the creator controlled material. I can't imagine them going full L5R with it.
>>
>>44626231
Gaia as the spirit version of a colony-animal, like a Portuguese Man-of-War sounds pretty fascinating.
>>
File: HFY - angry earth.png (83 KB, 1203x706) Image search: [Google]
HFY - angry earth.png
83 KB, 1203x706
>>44626231
>>
>>44617768
From what I remember from 1e:
Mages are affected by Disquiet the same way any other human is, but they can use spells to help with that: Shieldings of Mind for example, or of Prime since it's a supernatural effect.

Vampires become more prone to Frenzy. Werewolves become more prone to Death Rage.
>>
Idigam of Spirits+Strix Magath when?
>>
Can you force feed spirits essence in order to create Magath?

Could I capture a mouse spirit and force feed electricity essence until it becomes a Pikachu?
>>
>>44625081
>Also, that would be a prime example of disrespecting the shadow, according to the Fire Touched, right?

Depends a bit on the transgressor (werewolves can manage quite different things to what humans can) but things like driving out/harming a spiritual ally of the Fire-Touched (or one that they perceive as being in its 'right' place), disrespecting/blaspheming against idols that have spiritual reflections, probably things like enacting change to the real world that has knock-on effects against Fire-Touched-approved spirits and courts (so that bureaucrat who sorts the funding for all the old urban wasteland to be turned into a nature reserve might draw their ire when it turns out there are a bunch of decay spirits in the wasteland that the Fire-Touched cavort with, or a human cult that worships spirits there, or whatnot). Plus other things, of course.

>>44626420
You can try to do it a few ways, I imagine. The most direct way is probably to summon and bind the spirit (the mouse, for ex) and then call up a few more lesser spirits of a different type (electricity spirits, for ex) then tell the spirit that you won't let it go until it eats the other spirits. I can't remember off-hand whether bound spirits bleed Essence in the material world, but if they do then that can be a fairly significant incentive to do what you say as they bleed it off rapidly.
>>
>>44626399
You don't get Strix-based magath since Strix aren't spirits. An idigam that has Coalesced around Strix activity or, worse, that is the *potential* Spirit of Strix could work.

For the latter, you'd have a Coalesced striving to achieve its Chrysalis and transmute into the Spirit of the Strix, possibly cementing Strix into the world as a... world-y thing rather than a Lower Depths/not-from-this-world thing. It'd render Strix 'natural'. That's a pretty concerning outcome.
>>
>>44626521
No, I mean, that Magath-as-totem thing. How good are the odds that it'll send some Fire Touched into a frenzy of righteous indignation?
>>
>>44626521
>(the mouse, for ex)
>(electricity spirits, for ex)

Quit tryin' to make a hypothetical spiritual Pikachu and oh my God, that would be an amazing Innocents game.
>>
>>44626550

Good lord, Strix becoming a natural part of the world would have some extremely bad consequences. Strixworld could just show up as a new side realm to the Fallen and then we're all dead (because the Strix want to possess our corpses).
>>
>>44626562
Oh, right.

Dunno yet, don't think we've yet considered the Fire-Touched approach to magath in particular.
>>
>>44626573
I'm working on Ash Ketchum - Second Sight mage as an antagonist.
>>
>>44626562
Speaking of Magath, Hexxus could work well as one that was originally an Idigam of Destruction that got hopped up on Pollution Essence.
>>
>>44626643
Well At leas t we can't get an Idigam of Infrastructure, now that I think of it....
>>
>>44626573
>>44626679
I actually statted a Pokemon Trainer as a prospective Hunter.
He had a Familiar, Ghost Familiar, and Hedge Beast Companion.
http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/29737
>>
>>44623526
Well, the crime gets solved due to the Ban.
You game the system by having "find a crime" as your first Aspiration and then next session it's "solve a crime".
>>
>>44626791
Destruction/Pollution are related, so you wouldn't really have a magath of it, and an idigam isn't a magath anyways.
>>
Are Storyteller Guides like the new Demon book also planned for the other major CofD lines?
>>
>>44627587
Loosely, buty eah

they don't plan too far in the future and there's other books ahead of them
>>
>>44627672
>they don't plan too far in the future

Everything in this thread just makes me hate being an Exalted fan
>>
>>44627587

There's probably going to be a Beast Storyteller's Guide. Maybe. We'll see what gets announced at GenCon.
>>
>>44628341
>There's probably going to be a Beast Storyteller's Guide

Beast is the CofD Wraith. Embarrassing product of it's time that everyone just wants to forget existed
>>
>>44628363
Except Wraith is was really fucking good, at least as a concept. Near impossible to do right, but one of the most thought-provoking, atmospheric, and emotionally-gripping games of the entire Classic World of Darkness, alongside having one of the most detailed settings.

Beast is Beast, and it's telling that you can just use that name to say all that needs to be said about it.
>>
Changeling: The Dreaming and its sourcebooks keep telling me Knockers are supposed to be ugly and disgusting but I'll be damned if I don't find those Knocker chicks weirdly alluring, eyebrows and clown makeup and all.
>>
>>44628617
>knockers
>a bad thing

Changeling and I have different priorities
>>
>>44628363

Well, you're getting more books of it anyway. We still have Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Beast: Building a Legend, Beast Ready Made Storytelling Characters, and Beast Fiction Anthology. We're probably going to have one or two more next year, because there's just enough fan interest to keep things going.
>>
>>44628363
Wraith wasn't embarrassing, and what kind of idiot wants to forget it? Its KS was a great success.
>>
>>44628617
>>44628664
What's there to dislike about an entire race of Jewish dwarf-goblins whose steampunk runs on swearwords?
>>
>>44628537
Wraith is edgy and dumb and full of the 90s.
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 193x261) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 193x261
>>44628734
>Jewish dwarf-goblins whose steampunk runs on swearwords
>>
>>44628753
>Wraith is edgy
You say that like it's bad. Cutting edge ideas and pushing boundaries are what all of World Darkness is about. If you want the same old thing you should be in a Dungeons and Dragons thread.
>and dumb
Not really, what makes you say that?
>and full of the 90s.
While it was written in the 90s most of the material hearkens back to much older times, what with everyone being dead and most of them being dead before the 90s.
>>
File: Nocker Babe.jpg (285 KB, 744x1052) Image search: [Google]
Nocker Babe.jpg
285 KB, 744x1052
>>44628617
I don't know about chicks but they make crazy shotas
>>
Maybe one day Aspel, Atamajakki, and Amy will fuck off from these threads, band together and make their own horrible failure of a game. Triple-A Gaming for Awful Anime Adventures.
>>
File: beshiluuuu.jpg (30 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
beshiluuuu.jpg
30 KB, 650x366
So I'm looking through WtF2e and thinking about putting some stuff together for it. Predators was one of my favorite books in the WOD in general, and the new corebook recommends it. Will the stats work together between 1e and 2e? I wanna scare the shit out of my players with some hosts.
>>
>>44628803
It harkens back through the lens of a very 90s attitude. And when I say edgy, I don't mean "pushing the boundaries in thought provoking ways", I mean stupid and trying to be both deeper than it really is without achieving that, and more importantly just mistaking "mature" for "lots of blood and nastiness".

Also, the whole "if you don't like this thing I like, maybe you should try D&D" thing is pretty bullshit, so don't fucking give me that. I don't like much of the oWoD at all, and it has nothing to do with trying to push boundaries. It has everything to do with a high concentration of myopia and a childish approach to most subjects.

>>44628845
Maybe one day you'll quit being a little bitch.
>>
>>44628873
>It harkens back through the lens of a very 90s attitude.
It really doesn't...
>And when I say edgy, I don't mean "pushing the boundaries in thought provoking ways", I mean stupid and trying to be both deeper than it really is without achieving that,
Oh so you're being an idiot.
>and more importantly just mistaking "mature" for "lots of blood and nastiness".
There's not even a lot of blood and nastiness in it.
>Also, the whole "if you don't like this thing I like, maybe you should try D&D" thing is pretty bullshit, so don't fucking give me that.
Why not? It's accurate. Maybe Dresden Files RPG would be more fit better.
>I don't like much of the oWoD at all, and it has nothing to do with trying to push boundaries. It has everything to do with a high concentration of myopia and a childish approach to most subjects.
Despite recognizing you're being short-sighted and childish, you don't feel any desire to change?
>>
>>44619722

I've got it on my PC but I currently have exams so can't devote much time to it. Any chance you could summarize a bit of it?
>>
>>44628873

> I mean stupid and trying to be both deeper than it really is without achieving that, and more importantly just mistaking "mature" for "lots of blood and nastiness".

Oh, shut the fuck up. You've never even read a Wraith book in good faith. I don't even understand how you have so many strong opinions about things you don't play or read.

I could also say that it's pretty funny that someone who roleplays snuff porn on the regular is gonna lecture people on edgyness in the World of Darkness, but that's low hanging fruit.
>>
>>44628873

I've happily bid farewell to the 1990's and its "edginess." I've grown-up. and although I'm still generally a WOD/CofD fan, I will somehow survive without 1990's WW gratuitous and overdone shock writing, blatant racism of all those "magical minorities," and other immaturity.
>>
>>44629086
>I've grown-up
You don't really act like it.
>gratuitous and overdone shock writing, blatant racism of all those "magical minorities," and other immaturity.
I think he's right, never really read Wraith.

Is there any way you could happily bid farewell to these threads?
>>
File: WraithBorder.jpg (420 KB, 1256x1631) Image search: [Google]
WraithBorder.jpg
420 KB, 1256x1631
>>44628950
>Why not? It's accurate.
No it isn't. Don't call me an idiot when you're pulling that "maybe baby games are better for you" bullshit.
>It really doesn't...
It really does. It's as 90s as WtA's Captain Planet bent.
>There's not even a lot of blood and nastiness in it.
Your equipment is forged from the still conscious screaming souls of the damned, and the entire book looks like a Heavy Metal album. The borders depict twisted grotesque nightmares. Every character has this grunge era voice in their head telling them to kill themselves.

>>44629048
How would you know what I've read in good faith? I don't understand how you can be so whiny because other people don't share your opinions. What I roleplay doesn't matter. I'm not doing that to get controversy, I'm doing that to jerk off. Can you seriously not understand the difference there?

Wraith is in every sense of the word edgy. And it's so 90s that I wouldn't be surprised if Kurt Cobain was an actual NPC.
>>
>>44629177
>Is there any way you could happily bid farewell to these threads?
But if she leaves, who will bitch about Mages forever?
>>
You now the Beldam could work as a Wizened contained by her Keeper which is the Tunnel.
>>
Can I ask as a honest question by why is /wodg/ so anti 90s? It seems to be most people main reason they dislike OWoD is the distinct 90s flair.
>>
>>44629180
>WtA's Captain Planet
wut?
>>
>>44629302
The 90s sucked. If you weren't a millennial you'd know this.
>>
Can an Idigam Claim someone?
>>
>>44629302

I'm not on the hatebus and I only lurk most /wodg/ stuff. It's partly an editions things (older editions/games are pretty early 90's in looks), and partly because the things people took seriously in the 90's are being recycled ironically these days, so all those characters that came across as cool goths or angsty grunge poets just look like dumb hipsters now.

I like some 90's aesthetic, but it's not for everybody.
>>
>>44629373
They can.

Whether they should is an entirely different matter.
>>
>>44629302
I think it's less the zeitgeist of the 90s and more the whole Gothic Punk idea. I think the 'name of genre'-punk thing has been ground into the dirt so much that we're not willing to look back on it with nostalgia just yet, it still seems stupid and at times very culturally and racially tone deaf. Give it time and the more unseemly aspects will be lost to memory and we'll just remember Grunge and a 'good economy' in the way that we only remember cocaine and New Wave from the 80s.
>>
>>44629373

I'm not sure why it'd want to. Idigam are too "big" for that sort of thing - they can always just make a few soul slaves or an empty wolf for the same purpose without having to live in a clumsy meatsuit themselves.
>>
>>44629180
>No it isn't. Don't call me an idiot when you're pulling that "maybe baby games are better for you" bullshit.
You think Dungeons and Dragons is a baby game? How can I stop calling you an idiot when you keep acting like one?
>It really does. It's as 90s as WtA's Captain Planet bent.
Environmentalism started becoming big in the 90s, but death and the afterlife has been big for thousands of years and there was no resurgence of ghost popularity at that time. That happened in the 2000s.
>Your equipment is forged from the still conscious screaming souls of the damned,
They're not damned, they're just dead. They use those materials because it's the Underworld and there are no other resources.
>and the entire book looks like a Heavy Metal album. The borders depict twisted grotesque nightmares.
They depict the Underworld as described in works going back hundreds of years.
>Every character has this grunge era voice in their head telling them to kill themselves.
They really don't. How old are you? You don't seem to understand what grunge was, or anything about Romanticism.
>>
>>44628873
>It harkens back through the lens of a very 90s attitude.
Actually of all the oWoD games it does this the least. Wraith could be a whole lot more depressing as a game than it is, but they keep it to a reasonable level. Also, where do you get 'lots of blood and nastiness' from Wraith? The most horrifying depictions it ever presents are entirely psychological, after all violence isn't really something a Wraith fears so much as losing themselves to Oblivion. Are you sure you know what game you're talking about?
>>
>>44629393
>>44629413
Well, I could have said something about an Idigam of the Supernal, but that would have made people have conniptions.
>>
>>44629302
>>44629331
>"1993 was the year Superman died and Venom got his own series. Just keep that in mind."
>>
>>44629180
So you really just don't like the art style of Wraith's books? Wow, you really are an autistic wreck of a human being, faggot-kun.
>>
>>44629509
It was also the year Sirius Black escaped Azkaban. What's your point?
>>
>>44629494
Yes, but probably not for the reasons you're thinking.

Idigam aren't "idigam of Something" because they're reflecting something that doesn't exist. It couldn't be an idigam of the supernal, or destruction, because those things exist.
>>
>>44629177

As that was my first post in days, you're confusing me with another Anon.

In any event, you still agree with my points about the immature and often offensive writing, style and content of 1990's WW books (at least by current standards). You can be a fan of WW, then and now, but still readily acknowledge many of WW's often glaring shortcomings.

A quick reading of the thread truly reveals that many posters were likely not born or were far too young in the mid-1990's to truly "appreciate" the era and how many ideas and perceptions have changed, while others, like the "magical minorities," still exist in WW books, but are now just far more subtly presented.
>>
>>44629561
So they can't be things that can be pointed at with a description of "This is an example of X thing.", is this the right way of looking at it?

>>44629547
So is Black a Proximi Slasher Wolfblooded?
>>
>>44629484
>Environmentalism started becoming big in the 90s

That's probably why I never really loved Werewolf: the Apocalypse. I never liked that preachy Captain Planet cartoon, and the game reminded me of it, only a little edgier and trying far to hard.
>>
File: Not enough pockets.jpg (104 KB, 289x450) Image search: [Google]
Not enough pockets.jpg
104 KB, 289x450
>>44629547
We're talking about an era where nerd culture was pumping out shit like THIS.
>>
>>44629302
I was a young child during it.
So to me it sounds like old people bitching about how stuff was better back when they were young.
>>
>>44629673
90s also gave us this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbXvaE39wM

Stop being so narrow minded
>>
>>44629613
>As that was my first post in days, you're confusing me with another Anon.
atamajakki's response to being called out for an idiot.
>In any event, you still agree with my points about the immature and often offensive writing, style and content of 1990's WW books (at least by current standards).
No, I pointed out that you were an idiot and didn't know what you were talking about.
>>
>>44629640
>So they can't be things that can be pointed at with a description of "This is an example of X thing.", is this the right way of looking at it?
No they can't be things that exist at all.

Sometimes they coalesce and try to become something (that doesn't exist) but no one knows what happens if they succeed, or if they can.
>>
File: and this.jpg (53 KB, 652x475) Image search: [Google]
and this.jpg
53 KB, 652x475
>>44629673
And this.

And Star Trek the Next Generation and X-Files.
>>
File: edgy 90s shit.jpg (153 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
edgy 90s shit.jpg
153 KB, 1600x1000
>>44629759
>>
Super-soldier micro-template released:

http://theonyxpath.com/hurt-locker-the-lost-boys/
>>
>>44629509
It's also the year Superman came back from the dead and Venom stopped being a villain.
>>
File: commit sudoku.jpg (648 KB, 819x1157) Image search: [Google]
commit sudoku.jpg
648 KB, 819x1157
>>44629759
>>44629772
>>44629853

...I would like to retract my previous statements.
>>
File: WraithBorder_NoLogo.jpg (403 KB, 1256x1631) Image search: [Google]
WraithBorder_NoLogo.jpg
403 KB, 1256x1631
>>44629308
You work for Gaia and fight evil corporations that pollute the planet. It was a big thing in the 90s. The environmental message "we're killing our planet" thing was pretty big in the 90s.

>>44629302
I don't hate the 90s, but a lot of it's more annoying, cringeworthy parts show up in oWoD. The nihilism and antidisestablishmentarianism and all that. "Fight the power!"

>>44629381
Even in the 90s they realized that was dumb. That's why Samuel Haight ended up as an ashtray in Wraith. Which while dumb is the kind of thing that would happen in real life and also does get a chuckle.

>>44629484
"Death and the afterlife" is not my problem with Wraith. It's the way that it's presented. How are you not grasping that?
>They use those materials because it's the Underworld and there are no other resources.
And that that's a setting element is what I'm talking about! Nothing just IS, it's got to be the most grisly, metal, brütal thing it can be.

>>44629486
>where do you get 'lots of blood and nastiness' from Wraith?
Well, I did just link the border for Wraith, that's a constant distraction with it's nasty twisted flesh. It looks like it was meant for the Tzimisce clanbook. Although the one I originally read was the Shadow Player's Guide, which is all black.

>>44629518
>Someone doesn't like what I like, that means they suck

>>44629697
>>44629759
>>44629772
>>44629867
Yes, it gave us all of those things. But what oWoD is more reminiscent of is >>44629673. I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Sandman and Jurassic Park are from the 90s, but they're much less mired in the sensibilities of the time period. They're not the Hackers style 90s that I'm comparing Wraith to. They hold up better and haven't aged as much.
>>
>>44629923
>And that that's a setting element is what I'm talking about! Nothing just IS, it's got to be the most grisly, metal, brütal thing it can be.
It's because you're an idiot.

The mature part of the game isn't the stuff you keep obsessing over, the stuff you think they think is mature. The mature parts of the game are dealing with the aftereffects of death, the desire to remain, and acceptance of your fate. The facts that not all battles can be won. Your bitching about Apocalypse and comparing it to Captain Planet is also ignoring that, and ignoring that in a direct parallel it is the Garou that caused their problem, and they can't reverse it, they have to do whatever they can to make things better.

But all you care about is how the cover looks to you, and these ignorant summaries that show if you've ever even looked at the books you have the reading comprehension of a 6 year old or only went in there looking for blood and rape.
>>
>>44629923
>I don't know why this is so hard to understand. Sandman and Jurassic Park are from the 90s, but they're much less mired in the sensibilities of the time period.
Sandman and Jurassic park are called out as inspirations for Changeling and Werewolf. Stop being an idiot.
>>
>>44629923
>>Someone doesn't like what I like, that means they suck
This is literally what you're saying.

You don't like this stuff.

So it sucks.
>>
>>44630151
Don't bother, he's too self-centered to notice any flaws in his arguments even if you point them out.

It's why he and his buddies drag out arguments for pages and pages even when you show them evidence that tells them they're wrong.
>>
>>44630120
Those parts of the game are filled with a 90s angst.
You act like I know nothing but the cover.
I just don't like what I do know all that much.

But, hey, maybe W20 will change that, hopefully.

>>44630138
And? Who gives a fuck? That's so far beside the point I don't even know. Being inspired by something doesn't mean it isn't suffering problems those things don't.

>>44630151
>>44630211
No, I'm saying WHY I don't like something. I don't are if other people like it. I'm showing you why I feel the way that I do and you're going "nu-uh". I'm not saying you can't like it.
>>
>>44629180

>How would you know what I've read in good faith? I don't understand how you can be so whiny because other people don't share your opinions. What I roleplay doesn't matter. I'm not doing that to get controversy, I'm doing that to jerk off. Can you seriously not understand the difference there?

I know you don't read things in good faith because you're not approaching the setting as it is. There's plenty of criticism I, someone who has actually read Wraith, can make about Wraith, but you focus merely on the cover page and whatever second hand summary you get from someone else, like the way you consume almost all of your media.

There is no difference between what's in the Wraith book, presented as setting and means to evoke horror, and what you use to jerk off. They're both reflections of the material, and the person, and trust me, descriptions of people being beaten half to death just to jerk off is by far one of the edgiest things I've seen in these threads. You roleplay the equivalent of the bathroom picture from Montreal by Night (an actual embarassing and edgy as fuck part of the oWoD) on the regular, and you're gonna accuse Wraith and Kurt Cobain (seriously? A dude with serious emotional problems, you sack of shit?) edgy? Are you for real?

You wanna make fun of edgy shit in oWoD and make fun of the 90s, I'm down. But first you have to know about the actual shit you talk about.

>Sandman and Jurassic Park are from the 90s, but they're much less mired in the sensibilities of the time period. They're not the Hackers style 90s that I'm comparing Wraith to. They hold up better and haven't aged as much.

Again, have you read or watched any of these? How is the aesthetic of Wraith in any way like the aesthetic of Hackers? You don't get to name drop shit without actually backing yourself up.

You're allowed to believe whatever you want, but if you're not going to back up your opinions with serious discussion, why get mad when we call you out on it?
>>
>>44630661
>I know you don't read things in good faith because you're not approaching the setting as it is.
My entire point is that I don't like the setting as is.

>(seriously? A dude with serious emotional problems, you sack of shit?)
If you're going to put something in my mouth, buy me dinner first. I said it was so 90s that I'm surprised he wasn't an NPC.
>>
>>44630429
>You act like I know nothing but the cover.
Not that guy but it's the only thing you've gotten right in all your complaints
>>
>>44630429
>No, I'm saying WHY I don't like something. I don't are if other people like it.
No, you're saying why it's objectively bad.
>I'm showing you why I feel the way that I do and you're going "nu-uh".
Because you're not offering opinions.
>I'm not saying you can't like it.
You're saying that if someone likes it, they're a
certain kind of person. One who hasn't "grown up" or is just interested in "shock writing" and other ridiculous statements. Are you taking lessons from Donald Trump?
>>
>>44629923
>The nihilism and antidisestablishmentarianism and all that. "Fight the power!"
"Fight the power" is a fundamentally anti-nihilist message. A nihilist would be convinced that there is no point in fighting the power.
>>
>>44629923
You could not be more wrong, but that's fine.
>>
>>44629923
>Starting with the Shadow Player's Guide
That'd probably color your impression of the game, yeah.
>>
>>44631225
Someone told me it was good. I didn't read the whole thing, and it wasn't BAD, but it wasn't for me.
>>
>>44631263
I didn't mean that it was bad, I meant your impression that Wraith is all about DARK and EDGE and SUFFERING

If you're reading a book about playing an incarnation of someone's pessimism and self-destructive urges, it's gonna come off like that.
>>
>>44629302

When people talk about the 90s, they're talking about a very specific "in-your-face-aesthetic". It's just an easy shorthand. I don't hate it, but I do find it very silly now that we're a decade apart from it, and very disconcerting when someone tries to make it a thing again in the Year of Our Lord 2016.

>>44629012

So, the quick summary of Dreams of Avarice is that it's a in-character document presented as the latest English translation of the Dreams of Avarice, translated by a scared military operative and in the hands of an unknown military organization in the present (maybe Task Force: Valkyrie?)

The main part of the document is the Testimony of the Heretic, the story of how the Heretic achieved the Mentaar in his own words, including what happened during the events of the Rite of Return in full.

In addition are what appears to be religious writings of the Arisen culture: the Arisen creation myth in full, what exactly occurs in Duat to a soul undergoing the Rite of Return, and what appears to be the real purposes behind the Arisen and why they need Relics and Vestiges. It also opens up some new questions, but I don't want to spoil it all for you. It's well written, Malcolm Sheppard's on fire in this one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
>>
>>44631368

>in the hands of an unknown military organization in the present (maybe Task Force: Valkyrie?)

Ignore this, my bad, it's actually in the hands of Last Dynasty International. It COULD be in the hands of TFV if you wanted, the No-Name Gang would probably be in their field of knowledge.
>>
>>44631368
>>44631411

Thanks for the summary, I look forward to digging into it myself.
>>
>>44631685
>>44631411
>>44631368

Some questions:
Does it tell us just what the Judges actually are and why they judge stuff?
What the Shan'Iatu are in relation to the judges and why they jumped ship?
Why the Temakh of the Deceived are so much more otherworldly than the others?
>>
>>44631728

>Does it tell us just what the Judges actually are and why they judge stuff?

Yes, the sections "The Creation" and "The Judges and the Shan'Iatu" explain this.

>What the Shan'Iatu are in relation to the judges and why they jumped ship?

Yes. I believe "The Testimony of the Heretic", and the aforementioned sections put the picture together.

>Why the Temakh of the Deceived are so much more otherworldly than the others?

Not directly, but there's commentary on the "Hymn to the Creation of the Temakhs" in "The Judges and the Shan'Iatu" that might lead to an explanation.

Keep in mind that because this is all written in-character and in-universe, there's no actual "this is what's up with X", but it's in there.
>>
>>44632111

All right, those answer some of the questions I had then.

I really had trouble figuring out the judges' and Azar's palce in Mummy's cosmology.

Fate and Ammut are pretty easy, as are the darker things between the stars but just how much power and purvey the Judges had was pretty vague.
>>
Does the expanded Mummy cosmology in DoA mesh at all with history and myths of the other major splats, or is Mummy still very self-contained?
>>
>>44632340

It's still pretty darn self contained, but you could interpret the river that flows near Duat as being one of the Rivers of the Underworld if you wanted. A'Aru could, in theory, be a Supernal Realm, if Duat is indeed a Lower Depth. Or it could be a much nicer Lower Depth. Who knows?

There's also nothing explicitly stopping you from having Irem surrounded by the Border Marches, if I have my Dark Eras timeline all correct.

All in all, though, Mummy's still doing its own thing and will need a bit of work to roll it into the greater CofD cosmology.
>>
What's your Mummy's cult like?
>>
>>44632773

I've had a Su-Menent rolling around in my head for about a year now, but his concept got way too bloated. I just need to start from scratch.

Why are the Deceived so much easier to write?
>>
>>44632773

My Mesen-Nebu owns the Payday Gang.
>>
Maybe I just don't get it, but each supernnatural group trying to rationalise each other group within its own cosmology just seems rather... Silly?
>>
>>44632897
>Bain is a Mummy

F...dayum. I want this.
>>
>>44633154

Instead of clowns, their masks are the sacred animals of Irem.
>>
>>44632773
My Scribe's cult was the White Mirror Society, a conspiracy of occultists, alchemists and the like across China and India.

More specifically, it was the Indian branch; my character had started the cult with another Mummy in China then moved to Mumbai, spreading it with him. The other Mummy still ran the China branch. This meant the cult was international and had quite a lot of power.
>>
>>44633048

Oh it's totally silly, but for me that's the fun of it. I like seeing the other cosmologies in a new light. The Demon Storyteller Guide's crossover stuff gives Demons a JLU Question vibe with their theories.

>>44632830

The Deceived are so tragic and so villainous that it's a wheel house a lot of players can get behind.
>>
>>44633569

I'm sitting on an antagonist Cult of evil Chinese monks who serve the Dancer and Keeper.
>>
Ok, I am back and my internet seems to be back as well.

I decided to follow the advice of a wise anon and dump everything into Imgur because holy shit can I not be bothered with uploading each individual pic to Booru (also, it does not show all tags, only the most recent ones, so the ones that did not come up as often just ended up not even being displayed on the left).

So, here the Imgur:
http://thenewminus.imgur.com/

As promised, here is the zip file of the collection, feel free to reupload or whatever:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bsfqtd45b9fwbvp/pc.zip

I will spam these links in the future threads for a few days or so, in case someone misses it in this thread. Just bear in mind that I have yet to upload non-modern portraits to Imgur because separating specific periods will be a headache on its own, so that can wait.

Off to sleep now, so don't expect a response until the next thread or later
>>
>>44633684

Thanks a bunch! I prefer imgur to boorus anyways, so this is nice.
>>
>>44627201

Damn, I read it as Destruction/Pollination...
>>
>>44633048
They're rationalizing the world in ways that they understand.
Hell, the Changeling 1e corebook actually suggested using Changeling rules if you wanted to play with a vampire antagonist, saying maybe the vampire they're hunting is actually a Changeling that harvests glamour through blood.

>>44633577
Which Question?
I tried to read Renee Montoya's stuff, but what I picked up was part of some stupid huge crossover where Gotham was in a bubble and I said fuck it.
But Question as a Demon would be interesting. Analyst?

>>44633684
>I will spam these links in the future threads for a few days or so, in case someone misses it in this thread.
I'll get around to uploading it all to the booru, and I'll add it to the thread starter copypaste.
>>
>>44632773
The Beyond Corporation.
>>
>>44634489

Like I said, JLU Question, which is the one I'm most familiar with. I oughta get around to fixing that. But yeah, Demons talking about other supernaturals ends up sounding a lot like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRU4iZUsTY0

Totally an Analyst, and erases his face as his partial transformation.
>>
>>44632773
My Scribe... "runs" the Papyrus Society, an esoteric but by no means secret organization of scholats, most of whom are distanced from mainstream academia due to their focus on fringe topics. They focus on the accumulation of all knowledge, especially knowledge that is hidden or overlooked. Initiation is relatively easy--you just have to share some information--but you have to be pretty high-ranking to find out that The Eternal Scholar is an actual 6,000-year-old man and not a metaphor for the scholastic tradition. There are members all over the world but the organization is currently based out of Miskatonic University.
>>
>>44634665
More seriously, my Tef-Ahabi runs Amon Enterprises, a holding company that focuses on transportation and communication, spreading a web of roads and electronics to bind the world together.

I was SO MAD when an NPC Maa-Kep broke into my state of the art holographic communication network I broke a giant globe in my evil grip.
>>
>>44633048
>Maybe I just don't get it, but each supernnatural group trying to rationalise each other group within its own cosmology just seems rather... Silly?
It's just what every group in the history of humanity has done.

Even people in this thread, some fuckwit above looks at wraith and thinks edgy 90s and death metal because of his own narrow view of things.
>>
>>44635160
And how most of our demons were created. Take the gods of other people, make them evil and weak in your own religion, and there you go, demons.
>>
File: 12.png (934 KB, 1239x1557) Image search: [Google]
12.png
934 KB, 1239x1557
>tfw want talk to talk about Scion
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.