[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wasn't sure where to go for this, so Icame here. I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (431 KB, 1586x2400) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
431 KB, 1586x2400
Wasn't sure where to go for this, so Icame here. I need help, and I'm guessing there may be some experienced storytelers here. I'm soon GMing a game of Edge of The Empire, and I need to think of a way for an NPC who is an Emperor's Hand to abandon their prior obligation as a fanatical secret assassin, and join the PCs as an ally NPC.

Here's my current premise:
The Assassin is on a mission to kill an Imperial Captain who is thinking about defecting. She pays the Hutt the PCs are doing missions for to give her passage on a smuggling ship so that it will be captured by the Captain's Star Destroyer (Technically, an interdictor). One the smuggling ship is brought aboard, the Assassin will be able to get close to the Captain.

So basically, Ineed to come up with a way for things to play out so that the assassin fails her mission, but survives. Ideas?
>>
>>44609165
Ask the Star Wars General. They've got at least half a dozen NPC's built around that idea.
>>
>>44609165
> choo choo here comes the space train

don't start the game out with this. Have the emperor's hand start out by chasing the PCs, you dummy.
>>
>>44609229
:P
>>
>>44609165
She fails her mission. Someone tipped off the Captain. But she escapes and is now hiding in the ventilation ducts.
>>
>>44609331
If she hides on the SD after failing, it would be tough getting her off. From the PC's perspective, it would be tough feeling like they should care.

>>44609229
Having some prior relationship with the PCs is a good idea,; I'll try to make that happen. Then there's inscentive to capture her alive for interogation.
>>
>>44609511
Have her requisition the PCs vessel so she can life to fight another day?
The PCs might try to plot her off their backs, but she's an Emperors Hand, she can sense that sort of stuff right? She can just threaten to execute them all for high treason, or they can do this really "insignificant" task for her and be promised the gratitude of the Emperor.
>>
>>44609165
My question is why does that Hand of the Emperor need to stick with the PCs at the end of the mission and why can't she be successful.
>>
>>44609603
Iwant the Emperor's Hand character--this one at least--to be a playable NPC to help balance out the party. There'll be a few ally NPCs who bum around on the players' ship or base, and there'll be a party limit, so who goes along with the PCs is up to them based on what they expect they'll be doing. You know like w Bioware kind of thing.

I want the job to end in failure so that the assassin is disgraced and has reason not to return to the Emperor. They still believe in the Empire, but they also want to live. (Not sure if I could call that a character flaw or not)
>>
Light Side Hot Dickings.
Worked for the future Mrs Skywalker.
>>
>>44609693
I don't think one failed mission is value for disgrace. Reprimand and another mission to make up for their slack and that's it.

Unless we are talking about an assassin so incompetent the emperor just fires him or her, but then why would the party want an incompetent assassin
>>
>>44609894
This migh not be the first failed mission in their career, but if it was a significant failure, like not only was the Captain not assassinated, but he and his top staff defected to the Rebellion with intel of like security checkpoint locations, or supply bunker locations, landing codes, etc. that could be bad.

idk, the more I'm thinking about it though, Ithink it would work better if the Assassin was maneuvered into a position of being the PCs' prisoner. Then, with her life at stake too, maybe she could help them escape... idk...

This is all helping though.
>>
>>44609693
Just give them a normal disgraced Sith you MarySue writing faggot. There's a million of them. Give them some mysterious backstory so the players are intrigued and want to learn more so they keep them around.
>>
>>44609693
Also why're you giving the NPC an awesome backstory hook if you then take it away again as soon as possible? Make a character that actually stays interesting past the first session.
>>
>>44610150
How was this the most helpful comment so far? lol

t-thanks, anon... I will.
>>
>>44610182
I'm not sure Iunderstood this, but part of keeping the lly NPCs interesting would be NPC-centric "side-quests" that move their stories along and sometimes grant advantages like a nice weapon or better shit... Stuff like that. So more Bioware-y stuff, lol.
>>
>>44610275
What I meant is, a Sith Assassin doesn't have to be the EMPERORS HAND. That is kind of a big deal. You need to have proper reasoning to go that far. That reason can be the authority that comes with the position. But if you cut her off from any benefits of the title and make it all about redeeming her, how is it different from any other Sith Assassin?
>>
>>44610472
Really, it was just an imperial-sanctioned force user that wasn't a Sith. I guess she could be anything, but Ithought an Imperial insider could be a boon to the group for times when they needed a little help. Maybe she would happen to know a code to bypass a computer lockout or something like that. It's just a plot device.
>>
Keep throwing this bitch at them and having her fail.

Have her interrupt them every time they do something. When they try to kill her she gets away. When she tries to kill them she's unsuccessful.

Eventually they build up a bit of a rapport through mid-fight conversations (you can basically continue the same conversation between sessions). They have to team up midway through another of her assassination attempts to fight off a mutual foe and that sets the groundwork for when Sheev tries to kill her off as punishment for her continual failure. She goes to them because she has no friends, and doesn't know where else to turn.

Don't force this in a single session, you narratively illiterate shitcunt.
>>
>>44611932
Make sure she's sexy enough that your players won't seriously try to kill her, and entertaining (sardonically witty perhaps?) that they'll be interested in talking to her even though they're mortal enemies.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.