[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Indie rules-light RPGs are to mainstream rules-heavy RPGs what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Cards Against D&D.png (112 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Cards Against D&D.png
112 KB, 800x800
Indie rules-light RPGs are to mainstream rules-heavy RPGs what improvised banter is to Cards Against Humanity. The detailed, restrictive, and frequently absurd rules serve the same purpose of quickly generating good stories without requiring too much creativity (albeit stories that make no sense to someone who doesn't know the rules).

(This is not a criticism of anything. If you feel offended, that's on you.)
>>
Cards against D&D thread?

White card: drow vagina full of spiders
>>
>>44608789
I like where this thread is going.

Black Card: To everyone's great misfortune, the wizard's wild surge resulted in ___.
>>
>>44612210
White card: forgetting how to calculate THAC0
>>
>>44612210
White Card: A rampaging Tarrasque
>>
>>44608686
...What? You're gonna need to explain why the story of a session using Fate or DW inherently makes more sense than the story of a session using GURPS or DnD, because I'm not seeing it.

>>44608789
Black card (pick 2): The first sign we were dealing with a That Guy was ___, then he brought out the ___.
>>
White card: a Halfing Titan Mauler.

Oh wait that's Pathfinder.
>>
>>44612475
Still D&D.
>>
White card: Half-fey Chaotic Neutral Kender Rogue.
>>
Cards Against Humanity is barely better than Munchkin - the absurdity of individual cards is what makes the game amusing in any way, not any of the mechanics.

Indie RPGs are pretty popular - mainstream for this hobby in this case just means 'sold in a shop', in which case all you've got is DnD and Pathfinder.

--

White Card: Ed Greenwood wanking about elves.

Black card: The Dark Lord's one weakness was _____.
>>
>>44612442
Answer has to be >>44612534
>>44608789
>>
>>44608686
other cool rule lites game like cah?
>>
Let's ad-lib a classic for a black card: The paladin gained incredible power after replacing the stick up his arse with _________.
>>
File: Mimic.gif (7 KB, 130x142) Image search: [Google]
Mimic.gif
7 KB, 130x142
>>44612241
This really needs to happen. So much. My head is full of ideas.

Black card: Permanency + ___ = Profit!

Black card: The dragon has been slain! Searching through the hoard, you find the dragon's most prized treasure - ___!

Black card: Alas, the human paladin fell in battle to protect the druid circle from the marauding orks. To show the forest's gratitude, the archdruid reincarnated him as ___.

Black card: ___. Total party wipe.

Black card (pick 2): You meet up in a tavern called "The ___ of ___". Great adventures lie ahead!

Black card: The macguffin was ___ all along!

Black card: ___. Does the paladin fall?

White card: A fat, sad dragon I know it is in the normal CAH but it is too fitting to skip

White card: A mimic

White card: The girdle of masculinity and femininity.

White card: Head of Vecna

White card: Lawful Stupid

White card: Pun-Pun

White card: Plot armor

White card: Railroading

White card: A vegan mind flayer

White card: Not fading to black

White card: A paladin

White card: A fallen paladin

White card: A big bad evil guy

White card: A bigger badder evil guy

White card: The biggest baddest evil guy

Don't let this die while I'm asleep.

>>44612691
Definitely a classic, a good one.

The white card this black card deserves: An immovable rod
>>
If i got this
>>44612210
the winning answer would most likely be >>44612318
>>
white card: gazebo
>>
white card: jack chick

white card: blackleaf's character sheet
>>
>>44612691

White Card: A Rod of Lordly Might
>>
>>44614044
White Card: Immovable Ro
*clank*
>>
>>44612442
>You're gonna need to explain why the story of a session using Fate or DW inherently makes more sense than the story of a session using GURPS or DnD, because I'm not seeing it.
I'm away from my image folder, but the kind of "D&D stories" that get shared around here frequently involve funny bits that are funny because of rules, not because of the story itself. That time a bear bluff-checked so well people thought it human, that time some dude grappled a dragon to the ground, etc. In other words:
>His bluff check was so good, nobody realized he was really a ___
This is the point made in OP.
>>
>>44612550
>the absurdity of individual cards is what makes the game amusing in any way, not any of the mechanics.
The analogy in OP is D&D rules to CAH cards, not D&D rules to CAH rules.

>Indie RPGs are pretty popular - mainstream for this hobby in this case just means 'sold in a shop', in which case all you've got is DnD and Pathfinder.
Games that aren't sold in a shop (D&D/PF aren't *quite* alone there) are virtually unknown. Some are "popular" in the sense that the tiny community of heavily invested hobbyists like /tg/-goers are familiar with the name; maybe they've even played one or two of them.
>>
>>44612550
I think the biggest issue I have is that the black & white cards aren't grammatically consistent. I've only played a couple times but I've already seen a joke fall flat plenty of times because the way a black card is written doesn't line up with the way a white card is written.
>>
>>44616173
>The analogy in OP is D&D rules to CAH cards, not D&D rules to CAH rules.
Maybe it should.
>>
>>44618560
What do you mean?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.