[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you react if your player's came to you with homebrew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (278 KB, 718x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
278 KB, 718x1024
How would you react if your player's came to you with homebrew race and said they all want it inserted into your fantasy world? For discussion purposes let me give some examples:
>Beastfolk
>Humans with wings and spikes all over
>A Pokemon
>A fairy-like race
>Something with fast healing or such as a racial trait
>Divine blessed race
>Abyssal cursed race (not tieflings)
>Undead
>Sapient chickens
>>
File: 1442182099740.jpg (8 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1442182099740.jpg
8 KB, 250x188
>>44608209
>Beastfolk
Depends on the beast. ask for a picture for referance

We already have that

>A Pokemon
No

>A fairy-like race
Not as a playable race and it will be a fucking scary thing from older stories.

We already have that.

>Divine blessed race
Not as a playable race.

No. That's what tieflings are for.

>Undead
We already have that

>Sapient chickens
No
>>
>>44608209
Sounds like it's time to play Gamma World Classics, to be honest.
>>
Assuming I wasn't running human only and generic DnD/PF
>Beastfolk
Fine
No, but I might let you become one or something.
>>A Pokemon
No, save it for when we try out a Pokemon system
>>Something with fast healing or such as a racial trait
Fine honestly. Fast healing isn't going to save you in serious combat and it's saving the party a minuscule amount of money. Everyone just buys a fucking wand of CLW anyway, which is basically infinite because by the time you run out you've made enough cash to buy several more and gear yourself out.
>Divine blessed Race
No, but I'll let it be a trait/feat/template. I always felt that Tieflings/Aasimer/Genesai should have been templates instead of full blown races
>>Abyssal cursed race (not tieflings)
See above
>Undead
Sure
>Sapient chickens
Chicken type tengu/beastfolk, sure.

Actually sapient chickens, no.
>>
>>44608209
Depends on how they pitch it, I suppose.
>>
>>44608209
>>44608523

What he said, if this guy can describe it well and really sell the ideas, I don't see why not.

But from your descriptions, it sounds like this guy is a totally spazzy weirdo who will ruin the game with his weird nonsense if you let him have his way.
>>
>>44608555
My playerS have not reccomended any of these races. I was pitching the idea in case they do something like that, except for the sapient chicken. I just put it in as a wizard's familiar and that was it.
>>
>>44608209
My worlds are barely ever fleshed out enough, I would gladly accept their creative input here.
>>
>>44608209
>>Beastfolk
Depends. If they start describing it's reproductive organs or it otherwise seems like furry shit, I call them a disgusting furfag and never play with them again.

Sounds a bit edgy but it's fine. I'm not letting them play as one though, because someone specifically wanting to play as a Hot Topic Elemental raises all kinds of red flags.

>A Pokemon
lolnope

>A fairy-like race
Sure, why not? Even if it's the cheery cutesy ones, that'd still be fine. It worked in Berserk, it can work in my setting.

Sure. Not letting them play as one though.

>Divine blessed race
See above.

Sure.

>Undead
Sure, I'm down.

>Sapient chickens
No.
>>
>>44608209
I'd ask what's so interesting about them that I should include them. I might just accept the chicken tho.
>>
>>44608209
Depends on the setting and the race in question.

>flavor of the month, out-of-my-ass setting for one-shots, etc?
Unless the race is too stupid, sure. I'm mostly improvising with those settings anyways.

>pre-made setting for a longer campaign
Need to discuss this on a case-by-case basis, lower chances if we've already been in this setting for some time.

>the setting I have/ am working on getting something published
Oh fuck off, it's already and exception that I'm running a game with this.
>>
What would a sapient chicken even DO in a party of adventurers?
>>
>>44609028
Thiefly duties? They're small and can hide in plain sight wherever people keep regular chickens. The only issue is picking locks and such with a beak, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could manage it.
>>
>>44608209
I've only had that happen once. I had a fairly fleshed out homebrew setting, but one of my players asked if he could play a not-Dragonborn. I said it was fine, and no one else objected. In the end, we all had a good time with that campaign. If someone asks me again, I'd probably allow it. I'm never going to set the "purity" of my setting over the enjoyment of my players.

I could also mention that time, in a oneshot, where a player died, and instead of rolling a new character asked if he could play as his horse. I allowed that to, blessed the horse with the power of speech, and good times were had by all.
>>
>>44608209
>Beastfolk
On a case-by-case basis. Decently fleshed-out with no excessive attention hogging are the minimal requirements
Already got em'.

>A Pokemon
No,

>A fairy-like race
Already got em'

See above

>Divine blessed race
No, divine blessings are only for individuals

Got em'

>Undead
They're also the cursed race

>Sapient chickens
On a case-by-case basis.
>>
File: 1448729078320.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1448729078320.gif
3 MB, 480x360
It depends on the player.

I've known my friend for over 12 years, played tabletops for 10 with him, Warhammer 40k, Deathwatch, Rogue Trader, DnD, Shadowrun, Twilight Imperium etc.

And now he wants to play a Sergal in my 5e campaign.

>A Sergal

He's never done "That Guy" shit before

Is this it?
>>
>>44608209

>Beastfolk
Depends on the beast, and their fluff, and their crunch.
Wings all over their body? Like kefka or the final form of a final fantasy boss? Sounds awkward. Show the the fluff and crunch.
>A Pokemon
Is it a waifu / husbando pokemon? If so: no. Actually, generally no, because you won't be happy with whatever fluff or crunch I manage to work out with you. But you can still play a Summoner. "Eidolon! I choose you!"
>A fairy-like race
I'll hey listen. Tell me more.
Only with a massive penalty to base HP.
>Divine blessed race
Fluff and crunchatize me captain.
Sounds interesting, but I want to read both fluff and crunch.
>Undead
Depends on the specific type of undead.
>Sapient chickens
You have my interest.
>>
>>44609241
It's not totally impossible to play a sergal well. Not exactly likely that it bodes well either, but as long as he isn't going full retard about it or refuses to accept "no" as an answer, you probably won't have a lot of issues. Probably.
>>
>>44608209
I run a setting that is mostly built on player suggestions, so this is a normal thing for me.

>Beastfolk
Yeah sure, what's the problem?

>>Humans with wings and spikes all over
Got two,
Barbed Teiflings and Edgelanders

>>A Pokemon
I once had a player play Mewtwo
While the player was shit, there was no problem with the character.

>>A fairy-like race
Okay, what's wrong here?

Wolverinefolk, regenerators (ooze people), and some vampires have this.

>>Divine blessed race
Aasimar, Mogogol (frog marklar race), and these little demon looking anti evil dudes

Edgewalkers and Edgelanders, among others

>>Undead
Too many cannon races to count
Five of them are skeleton folk

>>Sapient chickens
Like beastfolk, we call them Diablin
But awakened chicken arw cannon... I've allowed an awakened panda... so why not?

>where I've drawn the line
Hermaphrodite is mentioned in a short description
Race is literally deities.
Too big to fit in most doors (doors being amusingly awkward is fine).
Too small to hold a dagger
Multiple bodies, one mind (unless we're playing a game with decent rules for that)
Another player overhearing it groans
I don't understand what they're asking
It's their magical realm and the game is in a public place.
That time someone wanted to play a dickman
Oh and when a munchkin hands me a statblock... I make the statblocks.
>>
>>44609241

Ask him why. If you get something that's more than 30 words long, or he mentions their appearance in some way, have some worry.

Reasons that are actually okay:

>seems interesting
>never done it before
>it's a bet with another player but i want to see if i can make it work
>read a concept idea somewhere, sounds fun
>why the fuck not
>>
Only if it looks like the player's got a godsdamned clue.
>>
>>44608209
Going to need more details, but I'd try to work something out that didn't break the setting
>>
>>44608209
>>Beastfolk
Already exists
Equivalent to a mutant, plausible.
>>A Pokemon
Kek no.
>>A fairy-like race
Already exists
Already exists
>>Divine blessed race
NO
Plausible, exist to a degree already.
>>Undead
Exists
>>Sapient chickens
If they give me a really good reason, I'll allow it.
>>
>>44609401
>>44609622
I don't know many details so far, he just said "I want to play a beast race Gladiator since I'm always stuck wizarding or supporting"

So I guess he just wants to play a more violent thing.

Not so worried about what might happen. I mean we played Black Crusade once and he was a Slaanesh worshipper.. he didn't go asking stuff like "Does it have an asshole? Can I fuck it?" every 10 minutes or so.

I think I'll allow it if the backstory is nice and his description is sensible.
>>
>>44610015

>subtle slaaneshi

Oh, dear. There's the possibility that he's just REALLY GOOD and has been making fetish characters for YEARS now, but keeping it silent, taking it a bit further each time, seeing how far you'll let him go...
>>
>>44608209
>>Beastfolk
But they're already in
Sure, if they're the results of magical experiments or whatever
>>A Pokemon
No
>>A fairy-like race
Already in
No unless he doesn't specifically want to play a character with that ability
>>Divine blessed race
No unless he doesn't specifically want to play a divine blessed character
Why don't tieflings count?
>>Undead
Already in
>>Sapient chickens
>lol so randum xD
No
>>
>>44608209
Into my homebrew fantasy world ?
>Divine blessed race
>Undead

None beyond any of those would work because its a low fantasy setting. And those who appear aren't playable.
>>
>>44610273
The farthest he's gone into "That Guy" Territory was skinning a sister of battle, keeping her alive and gathering her secretions for drugs.

But there was no "I rape her daily and shove my prehensile cock tendrils into her every orifice" tier shit.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (74 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
74 KB, 1920x1080
>>44610585
>skinning a sister of battle, keeping her alive and gathering her secretions for drugs

...oh, yeah. He's good.

He's VERY GOOD.
>>
I'm getting really sick of these "How hard would you REEEEEE if your game wasn't a reenactment of LotR using D&D?"

We get it OP. You're a complete no-fun-allowed putz with more autism than brain cells. Please stop shitting up /tg/ with your mental problems.
>>
File: Alarion.jpg (388 KB, 687x1000) Image search: [Google]
Alarion.jpg
388 KB, 687x1000
>>44610622
Yes, well. Can't wait to see what he does against my BBEG.
>>
>>44608209

I wouldn't use a garbage name like 'Xfolk'. BeastMEN is just fine as a base if you want something crude but dangerous sounding, or use an actual root word for it from another language, like zviera, sato galak, bahal, bahima, shou, jantu, kemomo, and bastardize it. Infinitely more intriguing than 'xfolk'. All that does it bring to mind 'smallfolk' or other quaint hobbit-esque villager shit, a blend of animal and man in a primal gestalt.
>>
>>44612042

>not a*
>>
>>44608209
>>Beastfolk
Generally yes, unless it's something stupid/fetishy
Yeah I guess
>>A Pokemon
No
>>A fairy-like race
What kind of fairy?
If it's balanced
>>Divine blessed race
No
Yes
>>Undead
What kind of undead?
>>Sapient chickens
No
>>
>>44608209
Would allow sapient chickens.
>>
>>44608209
Only things there I'd flat out say no to are pokemon and sapient chickens.
And even then that could change depending on what I already have in the setting. Maybe it's a mouseguard like game where everyone's small animals, so being chickens is fine.
I'll never put pokemon in non-pokemon settings though.

The others just need a good pitch and fluff.
>>
>>44608418
Wait, so you'll allow the undead, but not a fairy-like race? Like changelings or feytouched or something?

Man, /tg/'s standards are weird.
>>
>>44609812
>If they give me a really good reason, I'll allow it.
Wizard turned into a chicken via magical research gone wrong. Their drive and motivation is obtaining rare magical components to become human again. Willing to assist anyone capable of assisting them in return.

As a chicken, they are small, agile, and unassuming in appearance. Retains magical abilities and general knowledge as a chicken, but requires assistance preparing spells as necessary due to lack of hands.

Has two stat sheets, one for chicken form and one for original form.

How's this?
>>
>>44608209
I once had a setting that could be described as "Mad Max meets LotR". Warriors and wizards drove giant vehicles across an arcane wasteland.

One of my players made his own race, a species of subterranean hobgoblin-cat-ogre things that worshipped blood and gasoline. They were pretty fuckin' sick.
>>
>Beastfolk
Yes, as long as they are always beast all the time. No changing on a full moon on Wednesday while gargling chocolate pudding nonsense.
While that's out there, no half breeds; you're either trying to game the system or be speshul snoflaik.

Well, that's not entirely human, now is it? No to this one.

>A Pokemon
Only in a Pokémon only, or a crossover setting.

>A fairy-like race
Sure, I guess? I'd need a good amount of context to try to work them into the world.

Okay, but they're going to have to have a low maximum health score to balance it out.

>Divine blessed race
Implying one doesn't exist. No, you can't play one, sorry.

See the other side of the coin.

>Undead
Yep, but be prepared when everything wants to kill you for being a perversion against nature.

>Sapient chickens
Is this mutually exclusive from beastmen?
>>
File: 651soy.jpg (15 KB, 400x256) Image search: [Google]
651soy.jpg
15 KB, 400x256
>allowing players to fuck up my carefully crafted racial dynamics and balance.
>Thinking players can understand even the smallest amount of taste and restraint in a worldbuilding sense

Pic related.

I already have half breeds templates and a magical creation race for one offs. Who the fuck thinks it's ok to play a pokemon?
>>
>>44613950
>Who the fuck thinks it's okay to play pokemon
The person who made this: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lucario_(3.5e_Race)
>>
>>44608209
"For fuck's sake, I already gave each of you complete creative control over one of the races, and now you don't want it? We've been working on this world for years at this point. Why didn't you bring it up earlier?"
>>
>>44608209
>Beastfolk
Yes, that's fine. Depends mostly on what sort of animal though.

Sounds like it would interfere with the aesthetic, so no.

>A Pokemon
No. Would interfere with current aesthetic.

>A fairy-like race
Yes, that's fine. Depends mostly on what sort of fairy they had in mind though.

Yes, but I'd have to know the weakness/stipulation.

>Divine blessed race
Depends, would require elaboration.

Depends, would require elaboration.

>Undead
Already a playable race, so perfectly okay.

>Sapient chickens
Maybe.
>>
>>44608209

At the start of s new barstardised PF game, our inexperienced GM let the powergamer make two races for the setting:

The race his char is now; Sharken:
It's a fucking 7-ft shark on legs with dex and str bonuses and shit - at least it needs regular soakings in water or it dries up at gets mega debuffs before eventually dying.

The race his backup character will be (he boasted of this); Blood Wolves:
Sentient wolves with more OP stats than the fucking shark people. Of course their fucking enemies and his backup is a special snowflake who imitates a particular drow ranger...

This player also has a unique 3-shot crossbow thing because his giant shark that never left home til now has to be a fucking tech genius...
>>
>>44608209
>>Beastfolk
Yes. But I get to say which ones.
No. The trinity crusades would have wiped them out.
>>A Pokemon
Absolutely not.
>>A fairy-like race
Sure. The fey are less vicious in this setting so tricks they play are actually harmless.
Maybe. They'd have to have a significant disadvantage to cover the "free heals forever" they got going on.
>>Divine blessed race
Divine blessinginfs are on a individual basis, but there is one race that is favored by a majority of the deities.
Nearly wiped out by the trinity crusades but a few are left. Obviously not PCs but they are there.
>>Undead
No.
>>Sapient chicken
As a NPC I'll allow it
>>
>>44615068

>Of course their fucking enemies

*they're

My spelling is shit when mad. Also that "fucking" is in a bad spot.
>>
>A Pokemon
Surprisingly someone asked to play a sorceror torchic with leveling up and learning new spells represented by evolving and learning new moves. Of course I shot the idea down since it wouldn't fit with the setting, but it was an alright idea for a more wacky game.
>>
>>44615705
Shouldn't they have asked to be a elemental monk?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.