[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Build a Novice Class for your classed system. (Class designed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: Novice_class.png (58 KB, 434x500) Image search: [Google]
Novice_class.png
58 KB, 434x500
Build a Novice Class for your classed system. (Class designed to teach players how to play, and give them a taste of what other classes might offer. Before allowing players to trade in any levels gained for any of the more specialized classes.)

Hard Mode: Give the option to become a Super Novice.
>>
>>44604691
>for your classed system
I don't have enough smug anime girls for this post
>>
>>44604708

Well building a class doesn't work for a classless system now does it?
>>
>>44604691

Like bard minus the music?
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 381x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 381x403
>>44604691
Factotum. That's a cool idea though, making everyone's level 1 be factotum
>>
>>44604691
Stick wielder.
They fight with sticks, throw sticks, cast spells with sticks.
Different kinds of wood have different strengths.

They can specialize in super-stick wielder.
>>
Here.
>>
File: 1423555400284.png (667 KB, 1432x1502) Image search: [Google]
1423555400284.png
667 KB, 1432x1502
>>44604797
... how did that happen.

Anyway, pic related.
>>
>>44604790
Holy shit, whats the name of that comic again?
>>
>>44604691
Love RO, best class system
That said, I'd actually make three of them around the three "archetypes": Warrior, Mage, and Rogue
Generalist in that they can dabble in each class that branches from them (For example: Mage could get Priest and Wizard spells) but only in an extremely limited capacity (think no higher than level 1 spells)
Afterwards, the "Base Class" chooses which branch they want to go down and commit to whatever skillsets that branch has.
In short: the "Novice" classes would literally just be level 1 substitutions until a player figured out which direction they wanted to go in for the rest of the adventure. They get to taste every ankle-deep aspect of their archetype so the player can formulate what they want to play.
As a teaching tool, it could be useful. The problem is designing it in an extremely accessible way- if it's a teaching tool, it needs to be inherently less complicated than the other classes.
>>
>>44604728
That's what you say. If you have a system with rather complex character creation, having some pre-made builds that people can start from could be useful to allow new players in without getting overwhelmed.

>>44604691
Can equip any weapon/armor and can, in theory at least, use any type of magic.

Basicly "try everything out and stick with the things you like".
>>
>>44604691
It must be a really fucking shitty system if you have to level up a few times just to sit down.

I miss RO
>>
>>44604949
GLORY DAYS
>>
File: Character_SuperNovice.jpg (355 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Character_SuperNovice.jpg
355 KB, 1024x768
>>44604865

I see where you're coming from, however, i would just have the paths as just Class features. Like every "Level up" They'd get the chance to check out either more abilities from one of those trees, or start looking at a new one, possibly mixing and matching to see what seems cool. (I'd imagine that they'd get segmented levels, so they don't outpace/get left behind, players who invested into a class from the get go.)

In pathfinder terms its a essentially a "Pick your next class feature" in waves. And if you decide to just stick to it, you can piecemeal your own custom class. Something that fits exactly how you play. (Super novice mode.)
>>
>>44604691
Skill: Play Dead
1 / Encounter
You drop on the floor and stop moving. Monsters with combined Int & Wis score of 6 or less will ignore you for the rest of the encounter. If there's nobody else to fight, the encounter ends and monsters will wander off in random direction after d6x5minutes. Performing any other action while playing dead cancels the effect.
From 5th level onward, you can trick monsters with combined Int & Wis score of 10 or less.
From 10th level onward, you only take half damage from any AoE while playing dead.
From 15th level onward you cannot be damaged by AoE effect while playing dead unless the effect does more than 3 times you your max HP in damage.
>>
>>44604949
"My legs appear to have fused into a solid mass of bone."
>>
>>44604970
That's interesting and I've played around with that idea before. Ultimately I think where it falls short is that there are too many choices. Not even that- there's just the perception of too many choices. It causes choice-paralysis unless you're familiar with the system.
Since the point of a "novice-like" class is to be an introductory tool, a system like that, I think, would be inherently new-user-unfriendly.
In actual game analogues: the Sphere Grid system.
A counterpoint to my own argument: FF12's license board system did what you're describing pretty well- although it had a SUPREME lack of concept-cohesion, which is why the Zodiac Job System version is considered superior- you get to choose your own class features while being limited to only cohesive choices for the class.
>>
>>44604691
Class that starts off with really basic abilities in everything. Decent BAB, a couple spells, etc. Maybe make them use rounded out pregenned characters (12 in each stat or something). Each level the class is able to shuffle things around to slowly specialize more. So each level you could shuffle 2 points around, so if you liked being a wizard you could shuffle 2 points from strength into intelligence, and have them choose one of a few class features each level.
>>
File: 1448348482222.jpg (479 KB, 1250x1126) Image search: [Google]
1448348482222.jpg
479 KB, 1250x1126
>>44604691
Getting into the system can be difficult, but players are not retarded, generally, so there is no point in this shit.
>>
>>44605039
>>44605052

Well conversely, you could create a class that simply give you everything all the primary parts of all the other classes, but at a much slower rate; all at once.

Like at first level you have fighter bonuses, Cantrips, Orisons, and some budget sneak attack like feature.
>>
>>44605097
I see where you're getting at, but this is more of a thought experiment. Besides, there needs to be more original content on this board. Brings out the best in /tg/ i think.

also this is a thinly veiled Ragnarok Online thread.
>>
>>44605137
Then that opens the door to powergaming that'll have minmaxers dipping the class so they can get "create water" (a woefully misunderstood and overpowered Orison/Cantrip), sneak attack, and good BAB all in one package.
Also there's still choice paralysis.
>>
>>44605180
The DM could just not allow experienced players to use it. Or alternatively, if it's one that allows you to branch out into something more specialized, you could have it so you can't multiclass with it.
>>
>>44605180
In the source image game, The Novice is just the introductory class before you choose your main specialization, You did have the option to stay a novice however. and if remained a novice well past what's recommended, you could become a Super Novice and access every ability of the entry level classes.

So like >>44605208 said, you could make it so you cant multiclass with it and must retrain any levels gained into another class in order to multiclass. However, Persistence should be rewarded.
>>
File: Ragnarok job Tree.gif (195 KB, 1057x1004) Image search: [Google]
Ragnarok job Tree.gif
195 KB, 1057x1004
>>44605268

Image for clarification. Not everyone here played RO.
>>
Bard? I mean they are a bit difficult for new players, but seem to be little bits of everything in at least 3.5.
>>
>>44605268
I played RO for five years, I know what I'm about son
It doesn't directly translate is the problem. Information in video games is processed so much faster than a tabletop, so you have to compensate for that disparity: make the class simpler, more cohesive, and accessible.
As for the Super Novice, yeah I could totally see something like that working as that guy presented it- problem is, it couldn't be an introductory class- it'd have to be one of the other classes for people who already understand the game.
I was referring strictly to the core concept of "introductory class for beginners", apologies if that wasn't clear.
>>
>>44605319

Its quite alright, and i know what you're talking about.

The easiest way i think you could go about it, is middle of the line base statistics: hp, BaB, skill points, ect. and have just three tiers of ability trees you can advance at any point whilst leveling.

three, set in stone, easy to digest, power packages you get every level.

So it is less "Which of these seven trillion food items fits my 2500 calorie diet with low sodium." and more "Do i want to eat Steak, Pizza, or Pasta for dinner?"
>>
File: colon-forwardslash.png (28 KB, 526x172) Image search: [Google]
colon-forwardslash.png
28 KB, 526x172
>>44604831 Google image search has taken me here:
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/360669/83d2ceff9d/
>>
>>44605415
I was hoping /tg/ would have something not gay for once.
>>
>>44604691
>yfw your class system assumes everyone has 3 classes from the start
>>
File: Fablebox.jpg (49 KB, 256x329) Image search: [Google]
Fablebox.jpg
49 KB, 256x329
>>44605406

Hell you could steal from another video game series and call those three trees "Strength, Skill, and Will" Each advancement in the tree gives you a "In a nutshell" ability(s).
>>
>>44604691
>Start with 3 skills, 1 of each flavor
Set A
>Fighter - Charge attack with lower than average minimum and maximum charging distance.
>Rogue - Use both move and action to swerve around enemy for a backstab. Does not work if any other enemy is generating ZOC, and backstab bonus never scales up.
>Mage - Extremely weak medium ranged drain attack that cannot be resisted. Unlimited uses, but slow as balls cooldown.

Set B
>ranger, cleric, tank

Set C
>chemist, spearman, acolyte
etc.

>Keep only these 3 skills until most other classes have 5, then you can either class up to one of the other classes, or pick another Set of 3 skills.
>For every Set you take, you can keep one of these skills when you class up
>If you take every Set, you unlock a unique class
>No new actives, several luck-based passives that focus around being "blessed"
>Can use two different skills in one turn
>>
>>44605406
Sounds about right. I wouldn't want to use a d20 system as my base though unless I'm strictly making homebrew additions to existing systems- d20 is an old model and people can get tired of that shit. It can also limit you creatively to that design "box", so using a different base die/dice can help you think in creative and unorthodox ways.
4E is the exception, I feel, but it's an exception that not everyone is on board with because of how one-sided the mechanics are (purely combat-oriented)
>>
File: listen_to_yourself.png (68 KB, 462x513) Image search: [Google]
listen_to_yourself.png
68 KB, 462x513
>>44605443
>>
>>44604691
AoR comes with one called Recruit. Gives some pretty nice abilities if you go far enough into it, to include making a mess of skills class skills, quickdraw, and a number of others.
>>
>>44604962
Best years of my life.

And also the worst. As much as I miss RO, I don't regret hanging up my blinker for good.
>>
Is it weird that I want to build a class for DnD that does nothing except get extra ability score increases?
>>
>>44605406
>>44605468
>>44604691

Okay... i'll start us off. I suggest we only build to say level 5 and nail that down as hard as possible. then move on to the rest of the 15 if we feel like it.

PF Novice
HD: d8
Skill: 4 + Int
Saves: +2 reflex/ +0 Fort/ +0 Will
BaB: 3/4

Proficiency: All Simple weapons and all 1-handed/light Martial weapons. Light armor. All shields (except tower shields)
>>
>>44606125

Level one
The basics: The Novice knows minor tricks about many of the popular career choices in the world.

The novice can draw their weapon as part of a move action even if they do not have +1 BaB. In addition they may select one opponent within 30feet of them. The Novice gains a +1 bonus to attack and AC against this foe if they are alone. Alone in this sense means they do not have an ally within 15 feet of them.

The novice my cast the spells Light, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Guidance, and Stabilize and Jolt /or Acid Splash at will.

They also may heal themselves with a Self Aid spell that cures 1d3+(class level min 1) 3 times a day. This only affects The Novice.

The novice can add a +1 luck bonus to any skill at the start of the day after reading some material or talking to an "expert" about the subject for thirty minutes. This lasts for the entire day or until a new skill is selected.
>>
>>44604691
I miss my Super Novice. I also miss my Super Novice actually being usable.
>>
>>44606400

I never actually became a Super Novice.
>>
>>44607932
>>44606400
Wasn't there like, 1 working build? That is, get your casting time to instacast a bolt spell, and spam it?
>>
Any RPGs besides Anima that has a novice class like this? I like this idea a lot, it's something I'd want to GM.
>>
>>44608907
see>>44604810
>>
>>44608941
can you link me to the store page? I googled it and couldn't find a PDF.
>>
>>44606039
Which edition?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.