[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Character Driven Campaigns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: warren_by_charro_art-d8eta25.jpg (87 KB, 742x1075) Image search: [Google]
warren_by_charro_art-d8eta25.jpg
87 KB, 742x1075
Hey /tg/, I want to run a fresh campaign with my group and I need help for ideas, I kind of want the theme of character driven story, for instance a blacksmiths son is sent to another land to learn of new forging techniques/different materials. I have always never been a great fan of "so you're all in a tavern" and I am wanting to branch out. so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
>>
Have you tried giving each player a solo game to glimpse into their character, then finding a common area for all of them to converge in (to begin the shared session)?
>>
>>44603841
Not enough information, OP. Tell us about your PCs; they're what a character driven campaign is...well, driven by.
>>
Thats the thing, I wanted to present multiple basic ideas to my players to see if they like any of them, then have them build PC's around that.

Or do you think it would be better to work the other way around?
>>
>>44603869
And yeah, I normally do each of them a solo session beforehand just so I can get a handle on the characters, so that would be a good place to pick up ideas.
>>
>>44603841
Don't start with a setting. So basically don't do what the majority of /tg/ does. Ask about what characters your players would like to play, do a group character creation, take a few minutes to put a start together and then improvise. Or first learn to improvise, if you didn't master that already. Along the way, ask your players about details.
and check out the dungeon world GM guidelines. Most people here will shun me, but they are worth your while for this type of game.
>>
>>44604293
Thankyou! I will do
>>
>>44604293
Apocalypse world is a GM's gift from god. Use it if you want to run a actual player-driven game and not railroad players into your shitty novel.
>>
>>44603869
>>44603905
How does that work for you? I've watched one friend DM a solo game, and I've DM'd with my wife to introduce her, and both situations were terribly awkward / hard to keep moving forward.
>>
Character based games don't really work with all kinds of players and groups. My last DM tried that and it just didn't work. The best parts of the campaign were when he gave it up and said "the king calls you and gives you a quest".

For a good character driven game, you need players to all agree with a common goal. For that, you should talk to your players beforehand and set the game up. They should probably create characters together, at least do the idea part together and create characters that are connected with each other.
>>
>>44603841
in addition to the advice i would try to limit the number of players as much as possible to a reasonable amount AND to those of your players who can handle such a campaign. Otherwise it goes to shit, fast.
>>
>>44605950
Yeah I was thinking 3 at most, cheers
>>
>>44604649
amen brother
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.