[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking like a near future mecha pilots vs. cthulhu-type monsters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
Thinking like a near future mecha pilots vs. cthulhu-type monsters game... open to suggestions for both setting and system. Any thoughts /tg/?

Sources of inspiration toward this idea so far:

Gargantia
Heavy Gear
Gundam
Aldnoah.Zero
CthulhuTech (I've heard the setting and system are both bad... which is why I'm asking for help with this)
>>
File: neg-mecha-comp.jpg (257 KB, 1500x1269) Image search: [Google]
neg-mecha-comp.jpg
257 KB, 1500x1269
>>44592756
>CthulhuTech

It's bad but it's not *quite* as bad as /tg/ makes out. The fluff is okay… nothing grand but okay, a bit too much edgy but nothing out of place. The system is serviceable if nothing amazing It's not FATAL bad.

The only major problem is how broken the power level is of the different classes. There is no over lap. Your players either all need to be taggers or no ones is.

But if your looking for a cthulhu vs robo tech game it will do the job.
>>
>>44592756
Cthulhutech isn't that bad. There's issues, yes, but mostly they're easy to handle. The only thing you can't do, that breaks everything utterly, is something it straight up warns you about: Do. Not. Mix. Splats. Taggers will laugh at anything but other Taggers. Mechs step on anything not on mech scale like they're ants. The... shit, the Evangelion expies, whatever they're called, the shit on anything, including most mechs.
>>
File: VF-0 Phoenix in a climb.jpg (469 KB, 650x800) Image search: [Google]
VF-0 Phoenix in a climb.jpg
469 KB, 650x800
>>44595254
Except that even though they claim inspiration from Macross for part of the setting, the only part that resembles Macross is their Zentraedi knockoffs.
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY VALKYRIE, CTHULHUTECH?!
>>
>>44592756
The system is awful but you could easily salvage the setting for any system of your choice.

Hell, you could pick up BRP Mecha and just play it in the actual Call of Cthulhu system.
>>
>>44592756

Battle Century G is exactly what you're looking for.

Not only are there pilot-scale magic abilities and sanity damage subrules, but more importantly, it covers the gamut of mecha genres, and can easily support biological enemies, as well as enemies that break the rules and do crazy shit.

I had the joy of playing a Ctech game in BCG where we houserules a 'mythos' skill(that caused damage like a miracle) using Resources as the key stat, and it worked fairly well.

It's easy for players to pick up, the rules are clear-cut, and it is made for fast, furious combat.

Here's a link!

http://gimmicklabs.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html
>>
>>44595300
They don't claim inspiration from Macross, they claim inspiration from ROBOTECH. A miss mash of works with no prior connection to each other.

So yeah Cthulhu Tech….

Any when i'd if you don't want to make to much work for yourself OP i'd go for Heavy Gear, it's straight forwards but tactical as hell.
>>
>>44595508
And yet the only arc of Robotech they took anything from was the Macross arc.
And they still don't have my fucking valk.
>>
File: fcctech.jpg (99 KB, 648x828) Image search: [Google]
fcctech.jpg
99 KB, 648x828
>>44592756
For what you described you do want CthulhuTech. It's not nearly as bad as /tg/ makes it out to be. It's a fine game, just not a great one.

And it has some great art.
>>
>>44595433
Came here to recommend this. I ran a game of BCG recently, it's a really great system.
>>
File: 4edd.jpg (91 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
4edd.jpg
91 KB, 1440x1080
>>44592756
In my experience, the best system to run mecha combat in is 4e, with your 4e combat mechanics representing your mecha, and your role-play representing your pilot (possibly with a rules light system tacked on if you HAVE to.) People's biggest complaint about it is that it's essentially watered-down mech-warrior with magic lasers, but that's kind-of exactly what you want.
>>
>>44595820
I've done this and had fun.
Paragon Paths? They're your obligatory mid-series upgrades.
Epic Destinies? They're your movie/OVA finale mech, the crazy OP bullshit that you pull out when you're fighting apocalypse tier enemies like the ELS.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (84 KB, 792x592) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
84 KB, 792x592
>>44592756
>mecha vs Lovecraftian horrors
I'm surprised that Demonbane wasn't mentioned as an inspiration.
>>
>>44595433
>>44595736
BCG is alright but is way too light of a system for my taste.
>>
>>44596181
Well, I haven't seen this Gigantia that OP seems to like, but Demonbane isn't what I'd call watchable.
>>
File: tumblr_nxpxz50FmG1tpri36o1_500.jpg (105 KB, 479x717) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxpxz50FmG1tpri36o1_500.jpg
105 KB, 479x717
>>44595254
>>44595299
>>44595600

These people are lying CthulhuTech is exactly as bad as everyone says it is.
Its a bloated system that has way too many complicated rules and ideas crammed together in a twisted mess that is totally unfaithful to the source material. Dont use it. Use the future supplement for CoC.
>>
>>44595820
Most 4e characters are obligatorily melee-based though.
>>
>>44599082
There are no Bad games. Only games that that benefits from a Good GM and games that need it.

Cuthul tech can wrong fine as long as you have a discerning GM to throw 80% or fluff and crunch.
>>
>>44602015
>Cthulutech is good if you throw out most of Cthulutech

You get a gold star anon
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 461x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 461x319
>>44602036
I normally rip people to shreds when they pull the 'you can house rule it' weasel. But if you're looking for can mecha Lovecraft this *is* the system for it. I reckon you should just play it with a pinch of salt rather radically reskined an unrelated system.

Or just run BRP Mecha. Which is apparently a thing.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.