[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General: Leadership edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 9
File: 1344171589369.jpg (274 KB, 2500x1600) Image search: [Google]
1344171589369.jpg
274 KB, 2500x1600
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Let's talk about something that isn't sexy. Leadership. How exactly does you current or past characters rule? As a God among men? With the common folk? A kind ruler or a tyrannical fist?

Pic related as elsewhere is cool.
>>
File: Infernals3eHomebrewversion0.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Infernals3eHomebrewversion0.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Alright, after nearly burning myself out on Adorjan in an effort to see how long it would take to complete one Yozi, Adorjan is mostly done with a total of 75 charms.

No other changes have been made as of yet, but I'll focus on another Yozi eventually.
>>
>>44589031
It's funny how much homebrew we've got before the corebook is properly out.
>>
>>44589479

I know right.

It's going to make me curl up in a corner and cry if any new subsystems are introduced.
>>
I am a new player and this huge book frightens me kinda. I don't know where to begin, and there's so much setting stuff to learn too. Any help?
>>
>>44589985
>I don't know where to begin
I'd suggest the beginning. From there you progress to the middle, you keep on going until you get to the end. Then you stop.
>>
>>44589985
My suggestion. Read the setting at least what exalts and exaltations are, who the big players are. Maybe focus on the area of the setting that you or your players will be playing in. The 2e books are a good handle for more detailed information on the directions. From there, learn how character creation works. Don't even touch the charms yet. Just what the basics are. Then learn how the combat systems work, both social and regular. From there, take a look at some of the ability sets that interest you. Don't try and pile through all the charms at once.
>>
>>44590008

Great job on shitposting.

The only point he does have is that the best place to start would be reading the first two chapters. RPG.net has a 3e battle tutorial you can follow, and I'd suggest it before or after the main combat section.
>>
>>44589985
Just start skimming it, stop when you find something that seems interesting, read that part in more detail and then continue skimming. If the setting is your thing, you'll end up learning about it like this. If nothing really catches your eye, maybe the setting just isn't your thing. Don't let the size of the book scare you: a lot of the pagecount is dedicated to various powers, and you don't really need to bother with those when learning about the setting. The setting section of the book - I'm assuming we're talking about the 3E core, here - isn't actually all that long.
>>
>>44590070
>RPG.net has a 3e battle tutorial you can follow, and I'd suggest it before or after the main combat section.
I'd also suggest not thinking too much about literally every character in the tutorial being a female. That sort of...didn't bother me, exactly, but felt kind of funny. Otherwise the tutorial was actually pretty good.
>>
>>44590149

It kinda reminded me of one guy who played a Raksha PC in a game once with the goal to rig Exaltations so they'd only pick female hosts.

He succeeded
>>
>>44590149
>I'd also suggest not thinking too much about literally every character in the tutorial being a female. That sort of...didn't bother me, exactly, but felt kind of funny. Otherwise the tutorial was actually pretty good.
Why on earth would that bother anyone, or even feel kind of funny? I mean this is Exalted. Badass women being the typical tutorial characters is kind of a thing. Invincible Sword Princess anyone?
>>
>>44590149
There's a similar tutorial for social combat, using males only.
>>
>>44590070
>RPG.net has a 3e battle tutorial you can follow, and I'd suggest it before or after the main combat section.
Link?
>>
>>44590347

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301
>>
>>44590266
I have no issue with badass women, or female main characters, but every character from the main characters to random mooks being a woman kind of is funny, even in Exalted.
>>
>>44590315
>Combat tutorial has womenz
>Social tutorial has menz

So very subversive. Nothing breaks down a binary like another binary.
>>
>>44589031
Quite nice stuff, except I don't really agree with your vision on the fluff at the start, but then again that doesn't really affect the crunch.

Otherwise, good stuff!
>>
>>44590556

Magical realm where onlu wimmiz can exalt.
>>
>>44592630

I was mainly trying to give an option that made sense with what we know of 3e. I do know that most people often make their own fluff for Infernals, but unlike Alchemicals who needed pretty much no alterations to their fluff to fit in, Infernals needed a little something.

I do agree my main goal is the crunch because as said, most people who use Infernals use their own fluff.
>>
>>44588950
>Let's talk about something that isn't sexy. Leadership. How exactly does you current or past characters rule?
My Twilight tries to be hands off, and respect mortal authority.

Better question: what do you do when one circle member has a different answer to the previous question than another member?
>>
>>44588950
>>44592914
My Twilight is going to be soon taking over his own little playground kingdom. Our Night is controlling the neighbouring kingdom quite directly and hands-on. I'm planning my rulership to more of boasting "my mortals can run their own kingdom by themselves! only minimal amounts of lore-based teaching and such needed! absolutely minimal!" while I boast in the humbleness of my own sorcerous glory.
>>
So what's the deal with First Age Artifice? What sets it apart from regular artifacts? The book describes it in a way that could be broadly described as "It's Magitech" and gives no examples. The Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes is consistent with the description, but it's never outright stated. Are all examples of First Age artifice going to be Warstriders, Gunzosha Armor, and Thousand Forged Dragons? What would be and example such an artifact at a two dot level? What about the other levels?

Also, because this seems to be omitted, what happens if you create a First Age Artifice which requires multiple Sorcerous Workings, but hit the target number for finishing the project before performing a second working? Do you just leave it as is or do you do the Workings regardless?
>>
>>44594025
>What sets it apart from regular artifacts?
Presumably it's significantly more powerful, since it's so much harder to make.

>Are all examples of First Age artifice going to be Warstriders, Gunzosha Armor, and Thousand Forged Dragons? What would be and example such an artifact at a two dot level? What about the other levels?
Ask again when Arms of the Chosen drops.

>Also, because this seems to be omitted, what happens if you create a First Age Artifice which requires multiple Sorcerous Workings, but hit the target number for finishing the project before performing a second working? Do you just leave it as is or do you do the Workings regardless?
Sounds like they glued two separate rules together and didn't quite purge each other one. I'd probably go with "each attempt to finish has to be preceded by a Terrestrial (2-3), Celestial (4-5) or Solar (Legendary) working" and then that's it.
>>
File: fate-zero-05-large-07.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fate-zero-05-large-07.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
You guys act as though there isn't an obvious way to rule as an Exalted.

Unite dreams beneath a banner of conquest!
Believe in the me who believes in you!
>>
I just read the most stupid debate ever. People claiming you don't need to be special to earn a (Celestial) Exaltion.
>>
>>44596220

Technically, you don't need to be special, you need to do something special. Sidereals are the exception.
>>
>>44596220
It depends on what you mean by special. Some Solars are so awesome they get rewarded with more awesome. Some just have great potential.

The only "No-no" on Solars is Solars who really don't want to be Solars. Having some shrimp whose never done anything, but with "AMAZING POTENTIAL" is a totally valid character concept.
>>
>>44596616
Well, I'd say potential also makes you special
>>
>>44596831
True, but its also a complete asspull. You can take ANYONE whose not awesome, say "They have great potential" and justify them as an Exalt. Its really as simple as saying "IF this guy was an Exalt, he'd eventually become really, really cool."
>>
So how do you guys handle one guy being really combat spec'd and the rest of the group being more social or mental? I'd feel bad if one guy does nothing the whole game while the rest get to do all sorts of shit
>>
>>44597407

1) Did he not invest outside his combat spec even a little? His own fault, then.
2) There's going to be plenty of combat in any Exalted campaign, simply because EVENTUALLY someone is going to dig in their heels and refuse to be social'd out of the way.

And, generally, anyone powerful enough to even do that, is also going to be powerful enough to rip non-combat Solars apart.
>>
>>44597407
Try one elite opponent and a huge mob of unskilled rabble, like the DB sifu of a Single Point Style school and his 700 mortal initiates modeled as a huge but easy to hit battle group. The non-combat types are incentivized to hit the mob that's attacking them and they get to feel cool when you describe them smashing a dozen swordsmen into the air.

Or a fight where the real danger is the environment, not the combatants, like fighting a handful of ifrit amid an exploding volcano, and then the PCs with Athletics and Survival get to shine.
>>
>>44597407
I will say this, I knowingly went into my 3e game being a pure combat monkey so that other people could feel free to do whatever they want. I was the most experienced of the group so I had a better grasp of the system and understood that I would only get shit to do it combat.

It's worked kind of, the only problem is that we've basically been conditioned to just throw all the combat my way without them really getting involved. So I don't do anything for a session or three outside of some RP (which I'm fine with) and then everyone has to sit down and watch me jerk off with 30 dice for 2 hours (which I'm not).

So much so that if there is combat at all in any case whole sessions have been almost completely nixed when I was absent. Lack of play on my part was a foreseen consequence, everyone cashing in on the fact that I had monopolized combat and therefore no one else had to was an unexpected one. Slowly people are getting more combat stuff while I've been picking up some social stuff as well, mostly I've just been getting by with 3 Charisma and 5 Presence which really isn't that big of an investment.
>>
>>44597407

I must admit, I do sorta wish that Exalted 3e had taken a bit of a page out of LOTW's book where 'Everyone can fight pretty well, it's your choices that decid about what you do outside of fighting well'.

But that would have required a much more dramatic shift than the system already had and several skills being wiped away or tinkered with.
>>
I need to ask a question to people who glance at my Infernal Homebew. Does Scar-Writ Saga Shield seem fine? I know Infernals get permanents more often, but I can't shake this nagging feeling that permanent always on soak boosters like this are too strong:

SCAR-WRIT SAGA SHIELD
Cost: -; Mins: Essence 1; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Dual, Shintai
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite charms: By Pain Reforged

Malfeas does not quietly accept his tortured inversion, but builds up calloused layers and folds them in a vain attempt to seal his wounds and inoculate against future injury. Such efforts cannot achieve their goal, but incidentally toughen the Demon City further. Upon purchase of this charm the Infernal’s flesh toughens up considerably, adding an amount of soak against withering attacks equal to (2 or Essence, whichever is higher) and granting an amount of hardness against decisive attacks equal to (3 or Essence, whichever is higher).

At Essence 3 this charm may be repurchased, making the post soak of any non-magical withering damage reduced to a minimum of zero and applying his hardness as soak against non-magical decisive attacks. As a reminder, magical attacks come from any attack that is aided by a charm, artifact, or supernatural blessing. Battle groups count as magical attacks if the commander has some way to magically alter their traits.

Shintai (1): The Infernal’s flesh morphs as if to show the scars of every battle she ever fought, each one being a telling tale. The Infernal gains access to the repurchase bonus immediately. If the Infernal repurchases the charm again, than the Infernal reduces any post-soak withering damage by her (Essence/2) and decisive damage is lowered by an amount equal to (Essence/2, round down).
>>
>>44588950
I swear there's something different about this version of Mami, but I can't put my finger on it.
>>
>>44600937
I'd say the hardness should probably drop to being the same bonus as soak. I say that because 3 hardness is nearly as much as light artifact armour as a permanent bonus. Whereas Durability of Oak only gives 4 and costs 3m to activate for a single tick.

Also I'd consider making the soak benefit be removed during a crash as well as the hardness. Not too sure why on this, but it feels like a reasonable idea and reduces the overall power of the charm, if only slightly.
>>
So my ST and I are working on evocations for my artifacts, and we're both drawing a bit of a blank. I have two artifacts, a suit of Oricalcum Lamellar armor called Radiant Aegis and an Oricalcum Direlance called Heaven's Fang. The previous owner of both was a Dawn caste general who led many successful invasions into the Wyld, and both were made for him by a close friend who wanted to protect him from the Wyld and it's inhabitants. We've already got some ideas for the armor involving Wyld resistance and a couple other things related to leading armies, but we're both kinda stimpede on what to give the Direlance.

If anybody has ideas, I'd love to hear them. Don't need solid mechanics right now, just some rough ideas for what to give it.
>>
>>44601717
An attunement bonus of Aggravated Damage against creatures of the Wyld.
Possibly an evocation for scattering enemy battlegroups, with greater effect against wyld creatures.
Maybe something that increases the difficulty of rout checks when he does something specific/impressive.
Force a rout check in opposing battlegroup after beating it's leader in single combat, even if they haven't lost a point of Size.
>>
>>44590210
Even DB?
>>
>>44597407

Big guy for combat specc'd character to duel, smaller opponents for weaker PCs. Remember, Swan - the canon Circle's diplomancer - is a master of Snake style. His origin story involves killing part of a Wyld Hunt with assistance from a wounded Twilight with no offensive sorcery.

Your PCs should be able to fight weaker opponents and still look good.
>>
>>44601248
It's the face and (even) larger boobs. Not that I mind the second part

>>44600557
>that would have required a much more dramatic shift than the system already had
That's exactly what Exalted needs: shifting away from previous assumptions and holy cows. Maybe in the next edition...
>>
>>44602462
>Maybe in the next edition...
"For Exalted 4th edition, we've decided to go back to our 2e roots, to capture the spirit of Exalted better."
>>
File: Action man.jpg (13 KB, 206x220) Image search: [Google]
Action man.jpg
13 KB, 206x220
Help me, /exg/. I'm an archer and I need to kill a guy. He has a Solar bodyguard who's way stronger than me in melee, and she's also really fast, with a deep investment in Athletic charms and with pretty much all of the Defend Other enhancement charms from the Melee tree, so I need to engage from a huge distance and over an extended period of time in order to safely build up Initiative. She's also got some investment in the Awareness tree specifically to combat Stealth and surprise, so I'd rather not risk it with an up-close sneak attack. I need to survive after killing my target, after all.

I have a position in mind, really high off the ground, overseeing a wide and long bridge that the two frequently cross, and a lot of exp to spend. They'll be 4 kilometers away from the position I have to be at, which is the Extreme range band, maybe stacked a few times over or something, I'm not exactly sure on the rules there. I own a good artifact bow that can shoot that far in theory, but there's not much point to it if I can't even see the target. Which Solar charms must I have on me to ensure my success?
>>
>>44588950
Is the post-backer-fix 3e out yet?
>>
>>44603138
Not yet.
>>
>>44602133
Engineering a fully hermaphroditic futa population of DBs is probably the EASIEST part of that plan.
>>
>>44602462
They kept a lot of stuff that never made any sense. Like the terrible, unhelpful way charms are described. Especially since they're saying now that charms are only an abstract part of the rules and nobody in-game knows what they are, they could have given charms much more plain, descriptive names and cut out all the useless flavor text.
>>
>>44603148
Daamn.

How long ago was the backer release?
...the fuck were they doing these two months?
>>
>>44601818
Those sound good, thanks. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.
>>
>>44603172
...Making the changes? Also writing the Backer charms. Holden says 'Hanging Judgement Arc' is absurdly cool, on his Twitter.
>>
File: Last Stand.jpg (355 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Last Stand.jpg
355 KB, 1920x1080
>>44603076
Consider overwhelming them via a massive army backed with War charms.

Your problem there is

A, Awareness+Athletics+ Melee basically covers all the bases. You snipe from range and they close the gap unless you have an equal investment in kiting (Ride helps with that)

B, Solars are great at leveling the playing field and turning things into a brawl on their terms. Since you're a Solar as well, you may as well just go simple and overpower them somehow instead of going fancy.
>>
>>44603172
>>44603318
Also there's the replacement Art that needs to be made, and once all the changes have been made, revisions to layout and page XXs.
>>
>>44603446
>A, Awareness+Athletics+ Melee basically covers all the bases. You snipe from range and they close the gap unless you have an equal investment in kiting (Ride helps with that)
You seem to be missing that he's multiple extreme range bands away. It would take the enemy ages to catch up, even assuming they're faster. Unless they're fucking Athletics Supernal, or have Ascendant Battle Visage: Then you're just fucked.
>>
>>44603169
>They kept a lot of stuff that never made any sense. Like the terrible, unhelpful way charms are described. Especially since they're saying now that charms are only an abstract part of the rules and nobody in-game knows what they are, they could have given charms much more plain, descriptive names and cut out all the useless flavor text.
I would really dislike t if they did this. Charm names should stay the way they are, and most likely will stay the way they are in any future edition of Exalted we might get. Charm descriptions should be clearer and more to the point, but having some flavor text there is still a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>44603446
If they see a big army approaching them, they'll just run away.
>>
>>44603499
Defend Other vs Sniper is a stalemate, nobody's ever going to get anywhere. Either you withdraw and let the archer follow you, o you close and mulch him.....eventually.
>>
>>44601658

I made it 3 as 2 hardness sounded pretty much worthless.

You automatically get no hardness while in a crash, but the soak going away is interesting too.
>>
>>44605973
It is. But thats the absolute minimum that the charm gives, it will improve as essence increases. Plus you're basically getting it for free, all the time, without having to wear artifact armour or pay/commit any essence at all. So I'd say its reasonable for the hardness to not be competitive at lower essence.
>>
Is it better to commit personal or peripheral motes on permanent charms and artifacts?
>>
>>44606644

always peripheral
>>
Is there any reason to invest into Steel Devil over something like the defensive Crane Style for a non-primary combatant?
>>
>>44607306

As a non-primary combatant, you'll probably have a fair chunk of motes to just dump into your Excellency willy-nilly for lack of other, better Charms to use.

Steel Devil explodes in damage as accuracy rises, and your accuracy--relative to a more experienced combatant--is probably going to be higher on average, simply because you have fewer more valuable to spend your motes on.

It's a question of offense vs. defense rather than two defensive suites (of which, both Steel Devil and Crane are counter-oriented, and a non-primary combatant can certainly spare the init to make Steel Devil's counters scary, but Crane probably has the better defensive suite outright).
>>
>>44607306
Because you want to?

From a pure mechanics 'I only want defense because killing isn't my job' you're betting off just Favouring Dodge or Stealth and either spending entire combats mocking your enemies or hiding behind a tree.
>>
>>44589031

From "Complete One Yozi" I assumed you meant literally like RotSE completed ED's charm list.

Little dissapointed you didn't.
>>
>>44607787

I'm not terribly interested in making ESS+6 charms. We don't have a good roadmap for it.
>>
>>44607787
>like RotSE completed ED's Charm list

I didn't see ten thousand Charms in RotSE, dawg.
>>
>>44607901

True, but for RotSE's faults the idea of taking the Yozi trees to their logical conclusion was cool.
>>
>>44607923

Oh like 2.5 was simulationist enough to cover all of someone's abilities anyhow.
>>
>>44607933

There's a few differences with mine and 2e's though, mainly that in mine Infernal's don't become Primordial's at all. They can probably become something else, but since these Infernals are based on the yozis instead of literal yozi charms, they can't do that.

It was neat for transhumanism, but with how high ESS they were, it was basically a cute ending for a game (saying that they one day become a primordial) or people cheesing the system so they could gain access to it ASAP.
>>
>>44606150
Not that anon, but I'd say Hardness 3 is fine. Hardness doesn't stack, so it's not like anyone using it could try to stack artifact armor on top of it, and Hardness 3 isn't really going to hinder anything that's an actual threat to an exalt.
>>
>>44607306
Of the two, I'd much rather take Crane, since doesn't really feel "right" thematically to take as agressive a fighting style as Steel Devil as a non-primary combatant. Snake style is also nice as non-primary combatant, since its not really a "roargh, imma smack/slash you to death!" and more of a precise and intellectual art.

Also both Crane and Snake give nice defensive bonuses, so you don't really have that big of a need of getting separate charms for defense, saving that sweet experience for your primary focus areas.
>>
>>44596831
And I would say not wanting to do grand stuff while having PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWEr is special in it's own right.
>>
>>44606675
Unless you have a bunch of effects keying off of anima, and you don't give a fuck.
>>
What houserules do you guys have for MA?
Like changing or dropping the merit tax, changing the separate ability line cost, removing the 1 brawl requirement etc?
>>
>>44612613

The way I did it was:
1) You can take dots in any Martial Arts ability from the word go.
2) To buy Charms in those MAs, you need either Style Initiate or Master of Many Styles which initiated you into one or all styles, respectively.

Style Initiate was 2 dots and required 2 dots in a suitable Ability for the style. Master of Many Styles was 4 dots and required 8 dots among MAs. Style Initiate just let you buy Charms, but MoMS gave a scaling discount (-1XP per dot and -2XP per Charm) for each previous style you mastered, to a minimum of 1XP and 2XP respectively (so after ~4-ish styles, it costs only about 25XP to master an MA total).

It addresses all the complains I had, honestly.
>>
>>44612718
That sounds interesting, but could you give an example of how that would work out, I don't quite follow?
>>
>>44612834

So, say you're use-case 1: someone who wants to grab some MA so he has a little fightpunch that so-happens to align with his other talents (a socialite picking up Black Claw, for example).

You can put dots into MA[Black Claw] right off, no questions asked, but if you want to buy Black Claw Charms, you have to pony up 2 dots for the Style Initiate (Black Claw) merit (which might have a requirement of, idk, Socialize 2), which lets you buy Charms.

But say you're a Dawn who wants to specialize in MA, you invest 8 dots among any set of MAs (5/3, 2/2/2/2, 4/4, whatever) and buy the 4-dot Master of Many Styles. Now you can buy Charms in any of your MAs, and get a discount for each MA you have at 5 + have all the Charms for.

So at 0 styles mastered, your costs are: 3/1/3/5/7, 8XP for each Charm. Once you've mastered 1 style, your costs drop to 2/1/2/4/6 and 6XP for each Charm. after 2 styles? 1/1/1/3/5 and 4XP for each Charm; and so on until (after 6 styles) you're paying 1/1/1/1/1 and 2XP per Charm.

For a typical character (who earns ~3 Solar XP for each 5 regular XP) and spends all his XP on MA, I calculated that you'd be able to master about 4 or 5 styles (including your starting Charms) between gamestart and Essence 5. With MoMS, the number jumps to something like 7 or 8.
>>
>>44613078
That seems good for making it slightly cheaper than core for a non-combatant to dabble, and it seems great for someone wanting to master many styles. (I've considered doing that)
How useful would it be for only 2 styles though?
Also does this require purchasing the 3 Essence Mastery charm for a style, or could those deductions apply before reaching that?
Just to help lower the cost for a non-dawn MA supernal before they reach Essence 3 and can get those, even if their goal is to master.
>>
File: image.jpg (584 KB, 1050x1476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
584 KB, 1050x1476
So STs, how many of you actually include a solar's lunar mate in the story? How many just don't include them at all?

Players, any good stories involving lunar mates, either yours or anothers?
>>
>>44613278
>How useful would it be for only 2 styles though?
MoMS? Fairly. If the second style is 10 Charms long, you've saved yourself 4XP on the dots (since all but the 2nd dot gets discounted) and 20XP on the Charms, which is considerable.

>Also does this require purchasing the 3 Essence Mastery charm for a style, or could those deductions apply before reaching that?
It does, but you could definitely do it Essence-by-Essence, so buying all the E1 Charms discounts every other style's E1 Charms, and so on. I did it my way just to keep the explanation short and simple.
>>
>>44613449
Thanks, I'll consider this when our game starts.
I'm planning on mastering 2 styles and would just have enough solar xp to reach it by Essence 3, and maybe more styles after that to spend my solar xp on.

I'd still like to hear some other suggestions though, what works in your games and which part of the core MA rules do you think are the issue?
>>
>>44613607
>I'd still like to hear some other suggestions though, what works in your games and which part of the core MA rules do you think are the issue?

Generally the complaints I see break down something like:
1) Mortal martial artists don't make sense, because they pay a 4 dot merit to get a combat ability that--in theory--is maybe equal to Melee or Brawl, but only equal, not superior, and thus not worth the merit.
2) Laboring under both a "do nothing" merit AND individual skills, when Sorcery is saddled with neither (since the initiation does a lot on its own) and Evocations just one (the merit).
3) Can't synergize with native Charms. / Allowances with native Charms is obscure.

#1 I agreed with, so I let mortals take MA dots without worrying about the Charms. I didn't want to bring back Techniques, because they do have problems, but maaaybe I'd consider letting Style Initiate provide a discount on a style-appropriate gambit or something, idk. #2 I also agreed with, partially, since neither Evocations nor Sorcery can really be a complete fighting style on their own, while MAs get very close to being one (and get closer the more of them you have), so I split the difference by offering a cheaper merit and a more expensive merit. #3 isn't something I wanted to tackle just yet, because while most people seem to agree that letting MA and native Charms combo freely would be very bad, the problem of e.g. what you can and can't do with a Form Charm up is persnickety.
>>
>>44613078
That makes 0 sense to me, for some reason.
>>
>>44613813
I think the only thing we can be sure about that makes sense is that form stuff which seem passive and defensive work as normal, but anything applying to an attack would only apply to MA attacks.
>>
>>44613365

As ST I always ask my Solar/Lunar players if they want their mates in the game (I get to make the final call about NPC Solars and Lunars of course but players get to decide if their specific mates show up) If yes, then players get to give me a short blurb about the mate's appearance and personality because if I'm gonna go through the trouble of making a sub plot I don't want it to be torpedo'd because the players hates the character I came up with. (some players purposefully tell me to make mates their characters would hate/be in a rivalry with of course)

It works pretty well for my group, everyone who wants a bff or a waifu/husbando gets one they are somewhat attached too because they helped in the design. Those who don't want to bother don't have to deal with it.

For my own characters the most memorable mates Iv'e had have been a Changing Moon assassin/spy who found my Zenith's "I-cannot-tell-a-lie" stand-up personality charmingly naive and thus did the dirty work he didn't even want to acknowledge needed to be done without his knowledge. (shitty perception and no dots in investigate)

Another time I played Full Moon He-Man who acted as exasperated muscle for an Eclipse who was really good at initiating diplomacy but not so good at the follow through
>>
>>44603076
Bare minimum? There Is No Wind and Unsurpassed Sight Discipline, to make attacks from Extreme Range, Awakening Eye to boost your initiative, and Flashing Vengeance Draw, to further boost your Initiative and make your first attack Unblockable as long as you act before your opponents.
>>
>Want to fly using athletics
>Can only do so during combat or when heading towards something thats in the air
My ST is normally against homebrew unless he really changes his mind about it is there any chance those limitations will end? The idea that solars can only fly like that is dumb and the devs probably have their heads up their asses to change it I guess the only hope is that a backer wanted a better flying charm.

I really don't get the point of it.
>>
>>44617998

You're not flying, nigger, you're jumping. There's already a powerful out-of-combat jumping Charm. The in-combat jumpgood Charm models itself as flight because combat takes place in a timescale where flight vs. jumping is immaterial.
>>
>>44618044
If it was modeled after jumping I wouldn't have indefinite arial combat while fighting. It's not just melee it's also ranged. while it's advanced charm gives you wings It's really dumb. They should either have it modeled like jumping or they should give you straight up flight.

This half assed bullshit is dumb.
>>
>>44617998
The point is, Solars aren't supposed to fly, but fliers aren't supposed to be able to kite Solars.

So if some bastard's shooting you from the air and laughing at your pathetic, earthbound self, you can jump up there and force-feed him your daiklave, but you don't get to fly the Nexus to Great Forks route unless you sorcerously summon your cloud/whirlwind/chariot.
>>
>>44618129
It just feels dumb. They should have just modeled it after jumping over flight. Jumping up and down for the scene would have at least kept the theme in line with solars.
>>
I wonder what they'll do with Abyssals this time. My hopes are that they're still antagonistic, but they don't all have to be utter nihilists who want to dump Creation down the drain. At the very least, I hope you don't have to be a slave to the Deathlords or Neverborn.
>>
>>44618230
Well on that last bit there was the ruleshack from Shards of the Exalted Dream and you could always have been an abyssal whose exaltation had its monstrance destroyed. I guess in the end that's still kind of a slave to the neverborn, but the rules hack makes it feel less so.
>>
>>44590149
The 2e tutorial was all about a super lesbian. Exalted players can't help but make females.
>>
>>44619887
It's pretty empowering to be a super lesbian in my experience of Exalted.
>>
>>44613365
Never really dealt with a lunar mate as a player, those others in my circle have. There's one NPC that's interested in my character, though I'm worried that suddenly my character's lunar mate will show up if I get involved with her and cause trouble.
>>
Is Archery + Stealth a thing that could work, or should I just go with Thrown + Stealth?
>>
For those interested my Sidereals homebrew has had an update. There is now astrology and a couple more SMAs in there.

>https://docs.google.com/document/d/15dK8fZaL-Kn-yGKxW6VRg_z6aF27FqbIf-t8ZEXmMC4/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>44620476

Totally works. You'll use your stealth similar to thrown (an alpha strike to open the fight, though not as nasty of a one as thrown would), but also to get range between you and, say, someone with athletics Charms in a way that he can't chase you down.
>>
>>44620476
Anything +Stealth works, Thrown just has some particular hooks that work together really well.
>>
So serious question here
How the hell are you supposed to use Righteous Devil Style effectively?
Unless I'm missing something, then even if you get the level 4 quick draw merit (which I hope to hell actually does work for reloading, but I'm not entirely sure), you'll still get a -1 on every attack, and if you don't you get a -3. There doesn't seem to be any way to avoid this, the closest you'd get is the charm that let's you reflexively reload when aiming, but then you're only attacking every second turn.

So is it just constantly at a disadvantage, or what?
>>
>>44622429
The form lets you reflexively aim, CoED lets you reflexively reload while you aim. Do the math.
>>
>>44622429

>Righteous Devil Form :

>Additionally, at the beginning of each turn, the Righteous Devil may reflexively aim against any enemy whose Resolve was overcome by the activation of this form, or by a similar influence roll made in combat (even if he resisted).

So you intimidate people, reflexively Aim at someone at the start of your turn, use Ebon Devil Clouds to supplement that Aim (no need to roll even if they spent willpower to resist the Form's intimidation) and reload in the process.

Basically this is what makes the style :

>Whenever the stylist successfully lands a decisive attack after taking an aim action on her previous turn, she may reflexively activate Righteous Devil Form.

So your typical Solar Righteous Devil's combat loop will be

Join Battle with Cloud of Ebon Devils (Mastery effect) : Ready your Weapon and Aim reflexively
Turn 1 : Two Options
-If your foes aren't neatly packed in front of you up to Medium range, make a Decisive attack against the closest opponent, supplemented with Kiss of the Sun Concentration and Phoenix Flies on Golden Wings and an Excellency (you want this to hit). If you hit, activate Righteous Devil reflexively.
-If they are and if you won Join Battle by a wide margin, Dancing Devil trigger Finger the shit out of them, with both Kiss of the Sun Concentration and Phoenix Flies on Golden Wings (that is a very expensive combo), then when you hit at least one of them, activate Righteous Devil Form reflexively (yay more motes).
Turn 2 : Reflexively aim at any one dude who survived Turn 1 and start burninating motherfuckers.

You'll want some Awareness and some Dodge to help you with the Join Battle and Defense. Remember that you will fight at Medium Range at most, and probably at Short or Close most of the time : you are not a long distance fighter. Awareness will help you ensure you win Join Battle, Dodge will help you grab some more Initiative during the fight to fuel these killer Decisives.
>>
Could a Third Circle demon's form be two people, like a demon who appears as a pair of twins?
>>
>>44623605
>Can a Third Circle Demon be
Yes.
>>
>>44623605
I don't see why not.
>>
File: 34864640091.png (266 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
34864640091.png
266 KB, 540x304
>>44589031
>Gorol is Solar Big Boss
I approve.
>>
>>44620619

Just wanted to point this out, Demesne and Manse Form says that it grants a lesser hearthstone and that you can create Evocations for it, but only greater Hearthstones can have Evocations, so you may want to move that sentence in under the Sutra part, just to clear up any ambiguity.

Do you've any intention of trying to convert any other SMAs?
>>
File: shit.jpg (75 KB, 666x501) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
75 KB, 666x501
>>44603076
Sweet jesus /exg/ why didn't you warn me that Mountain-Crossing Leap Technique is a charm that exists oh fuck
>>
>>44624595
I have to ask. Is that definitively mentioned somewhere? I know that the only hearthstones we have with evocations are greater ones, but I kinda assumed that lesser hearthstones 'could' manifest evocations, just fewer/of lesser power. I'll admit that is just my idea/opinion though.

On other SMAs: I want to, but it takes a while to do even if I have ideas written out as I need to compare to similar powers (where they exist) in multiple other abilities. The four that are in the google document are the ones I got furthest with (obviously), but I have a couple of very early thoughts for Citrine Poxes of Contagion and Border of Kaleidoscopic Logic. Quicksilver Hand of Dreams left me clueless when I looked at it last time. I'll probably do them at some point, hopefully before they get published officially, but I'm not too sure when. I may have a look through the wikis for non-official styles to have a play with as generally I need a bit of inspiration to strike me before I try to churn out a full SMA.
>>
>>44624798

>I have to ask. Is that definitively mentioned somewhere?

No, but it's consistent with the "must be three dots or more to be eligible for Evocations" ruling on page 612. I don't see why lesser hearthstones should, considering that it'd break the rule.

I know what it's like trying to convert an SMA, it'd take me at least a day to get out a rough draft of the charms, with a lot of time being spent just thinking "what the fuck am I supposed to do with this."

>I'll probably do them at some point, hopefully before they get published officially

You could make this your life's work and still be done before we get legit SMA styles. Looking forward to BoKL, that shit was nuts.
>>
Does the failure that triggers an Infernal exaltation have to be related to their caste's skillset, or what?
>>
>>44603076
>>44624724

I fucking lost it.
>>
>>44624724
>>44603499
>Unless they're fucking Athletics Supernal, or have Ascendant Battle Visage: Then you're just fucked.
>>
>>44625309
No. Infernal charms are Yozi charms, it has to be pleasing to that Yozi's sense of humor, as interpreted by the Demon carrying it
>>
>>44624903
I hadn't considered that. Might just delete that sentence completely.

>You could make this your life's work and still be done before we get legit SMA styles. Looking forward to BoKL, that shit was nuts.
Hehe. I hope that one day they'll catch up to me ;) BoKL is giving me issues, particularly after the form. Part of the problem is me trying to fit it into the power levels of the Essence range we know about. Anything 6+ is almost completely uncharted and supposedly kinda unique to an exalt. Makes balancing a charm in that range like throwing a dart at a moving board in the dark.
>>
I think I'm gonna do some martial arts homebrew. Any fun MA styles from the old editions that didn't make it into 3e core that you guys would like to see?
>>
>>44626988

White Veil, Arms of the Unconquered Sun, and Crystal Chameleon.
>>
>>44626988
>http://exalted.xi.co.nz/wiki/MartialArts
If nothing specifically inspires you, then I've always been partial to Crimson Pentacle Blade and Lightning Hoof
>>
>>44626988
Water Dragon Style
>>
>>44627102
>>44627129
Alright. I'm assuming that the old distinction between Terrestrial and Celestial MA doesn't exist anymore, and that anybody can learn any style that isn't a SMA, but Solaroids and Sidereals get the most out of them, right?
>>
>>44627328

>distinction between Terrestrial and Celestial MA doesn't exist anymore

Kind of? The Terrestrial keyword restricts the power of MA styles when it's practiced by DBs, and only Solars and Sids can access the Mastery keyword.
>>
>>44627102
Seconding White Veil, love that style.
>>
File: 56452.gif (492 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
56452.gif
492 KB, 500x375
>>44588950
What are the legitimate options for using Brawl with Melee? I'd rather be using swords all day every day, but I know some people have had fun with it. Thunderclap Rush Attack is the obvious one, but I've been looking at the chain that leads from that to Ascendant Battle Visage and wondering about it. It's not like sword users never went super saiyan.

Similarly, is Dodge useful if you're using Melee as your primary defense? I get that there are unblockable attacks, but there are also charms that let you block the unblockable.

Just looking for ways to spice up a Dawn Melee guy.
>>
>>44628795

>What are the legitimate options for using Brawl with Melee?

Probably using Brawl for straight up offence and clashes and Melee for defence and counter-attacks.

>Similarly, is Dodge useful if you're using Melee as your primary defense? I get that there are unblockable attacks, but there are also charms that let you block the unblockable.

There are also undodgeable attacks and charms that let you dodge the undodgeable, your better off picking Resistance over Dodge, as Melee will probably have you covered.

Honestly, if you want to swap between armed and unarmed, you're better off with an MA style, but the only ones with sword don't allow bare handed attacks. What's more is that you're taking on two close combat abilities, when it's likely that you're much better off with one ranged combat ability and one close combat one instead.
>>
>>44628795
Dodge is always useful, but you might wonder if it's worth your time when you're 5 charms in and thinking 'apart from the disengage charms I do most of this with Dipping Swallow'.

Ascendant Battle Visage works alright with Melee, but now your entire build is Ascendant Battle Visage. If you want to take Dodge and Melee on top of that then I hope you don't want even a single charm in anything else.

That aside, good charms for synergy are Heaven Fury Smite and Lightning Strikes Twice from Brawl. Not because they're particularly effective, though HFS is pretty great, but because reflexively drawing a Melee weapon and making a decisive against a target you've already crashed or otherwise fucked up is awesome.
>>
The main issue with Brawl and Melee, is that with Falling Hammer Strike Brawl doesn't ever want you to stop using it for anything less than a sure kill like with the aforementioned Heaven Fury Smite. Even then, with Ferocious Jab you'll often be better off using your face to kill your enemy.

Reasons to actually stop using your fists? Uh, Perfect Strike Discipline. Brawl doesn't really compete there. Counter-attacks obviously, since Melee's glorious for that shit. Not sure what else.

Going primary Melee and dipping into Brawl for Grappling and Thunderclap Rush Attack works, but vice versa is a lot harder to justify.
>>
>>44629093
>What's more is that you're taking on two close combat abilities, when it's likely that you're much better off with one ranged combat ability and one close combat one instead.
Good point. So here's a thought: what martial art and combat ability pairing works reasonably well together and enables both ranged and close combat attacks?

Narrowing it down straight away is the fact that there are only two ranged MAs so far, Nightingale and Righteous Devil. One of them with a close combat ability? Archery or thrown with a close combat MA? Any ideas?
>>
>>44629340
Righteous Devil has a close combat ability but it doesn't actually synergise with its charms so the point of it is somewhat debatable.

Thrown synergises with everything, you use it for an opener and then switch to close combat unless your opponent is far away. After that, use what you want. Tiger's good, Snake's good, Single Point is good...
>>
>>44629340

Righteous Devil is practiced with Firewands, which can be used as a spear if given a bayonet, though you may want to ask your ST how that interacts with Righteous Devil Form. White Reaper can be practiced with a spear, which can be used with Thrown. Finally, Ebon Shadow can also be used with Thrown as it counts knives as form weapons, you've no doubt heard how well Stealth and Thrown go together.
>>
>>44629502
>you've no doubt heard how well Stealth and Thrown go together.
I have heard this, but so far with no explanation of why. But I've been meaning to look at Thrown, so I guess this is a decent excuse.
>>
>>44629711
If you beat your opponent in Join Battle and they haven't seen you then you reduce their defences to 0. Stealth and Thrown both boost Join Battle. Thrown has a charm that adds the difference between your initiative and theirs to Join Battle.

Basically, barring things essence 2 or 3 charms on their side, you will absolutely murder anyone on the first round of combat.
>>
>>44629711
Short form: stealth charms give you extra Join Battle rolls, and Ambush attacks. Thrown charms give you extra benefits with Join Battle and Ambush attacks.
>>
I got done with an extremely rough draft version of the Arms of the Unconquered Sun Style. Feel free to comment, help me figure out how to better port this shit to 3e, call me an idiot, and so on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z0OGhm3cwBns5RAtzCeRFoOyvnz2ap8gEMPdExNsWWs/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>44630769

>Day and Night Kata

Why the cap? You can only raise static values so high with charms anyway. The charm also makes it seem like you only get the bonus if an opponent attacks multiple times, which outside charms and magic, is illegal.

>Spirit over clouds approach
>Unblockable Decisives

Far too powerful, make it withering only.

>Rising Sun Form
>Special Activation Rules

Try "May be activated reflexively if the martial artist succeeds on a Rush or Disengage roll, or when she prevents an opponent from disengaging."

>Rinsing Sun Form
>Special Activation Rules

May be activated reflexively upon succeeding on the control roll of a grapple.

>Fading Sun Form
>Special Activation rules

May be reflexively activated upon reducing an attack by X amount? Shit, don't know about this on.

There. I only looked at some of it, but it seems alright. Start thinking up some shit for the Terrestrial and Mastery keyword. That shit about being immune to onslaught/sickness/shaping/what have you look like good candidates for it.
>>
>>44613078
>>44613860
Most likely since there is almost literally no overlap between the core Martial Arts and as such there isn't really much reason to master more than one, with maybe a small dip in one or two others, tops. But its a nice merit if you have a player who wants to master multiple MAs, for some reason. On a conceptual level its super cool idea, but in reality its kinda meh.

I guess once your non-sorcerer Dawn or whatnot gets to Essence 5 and runs out of stuff to use his Solar Experience on you could as well aspire to know ALL the martial arts in Creation. Thats kinda cool past time to have, actually.
>>
>>44633783
>Most likely since there is almost literally no overlap between the core Martial Arts and as such there isn't really much reason to master more than one

Buh?

I would have assumed the opposite would be the case. MAs don't really need or want to synergize with other styles because each one is a complete fighting style in of itself. Investing in plural MAs is more like the difference between investing in Melee and Socialize than investing in two different Melee trees.
>>
How far do I need to go into brawl to get the most out of it? My character is an athletics supernal build with a bunch of other stuff in. He's a decent social guy but I haven't worked on Brawl much and I decided to get it because athletics seems like a waste with ranged abilities that and brawl looks fairly self sufficient and I didn't want to also have to worry about dodge.
>>
>>44634122

In general, Essence 3 is where any given ability grows its wang and starts fucking the game doggy style. Flurry Charms are a big one, for Brawl.
>>
>>44633899

Some, such as Tiger and Ebon Shadow, go quite well together. They can be comboed with only Form Weapons being a limit. Bare in mind that while there's only eleven now, there's going to be dozens more, easily. The five Dragon Styles are mostly present in the antagonists section and will no doubt be in the DB splat book. Violet Bier was in the leak and will no doubt see light of day as well.

Each MA may be a complete fighting style in itself, but each one has it's own weakness. For all the love Single Point gets, it has no JB enhancers, has few ways of gathering initiative beyond plain attacks, and is very WP intensive. Being able to cover the weaknesses of any given style is a good way to create a useful, powerful, combatant.

>>44634122

You sound like combat isn't your primary ability, have you considered picking up an MA style? Tiger goes quite nicely with Athletics, and gives you something to spend Solar XP on.
>>
>>44634149
I see. Man, the new charmset pisses me off. I genuinely want too many charms at this point because you need fifty in any one tree to be competent.
>>
>>44634362
I feel like I would rather get more brawl charms than get a style. I'm already spending a lot of solar xp on attributes and abilities.
>>
>>44634366

No? You hit competence at about 9 Charms in, if that. Everything after that is expanding into niche/new uses or building up synergies.
>>
>>44634406
I feel like it depends on the tree. Athletics feels like a fairly big investment compared to socialize or presence.
>>
>>44634366
>competent
an excellency alone is being supernaturally competent at something. With fifty charms you're an absolute grandmaster at something, peerless even among the exalted, best living being at that thing.
>>
>>44634481
Please, we're using exalted standards. In 2e I could just take three charms and I never had to worry about getting another dodge or parry charm again. I understand why they changed the system but then they spread this philosophy to everything else bloating the charmset to the point where if you want to be good at it you have to invest a lot more now than you used to. To get charms equal to the former awareness abilities I need 3 times the investment.
>>
>>44634540
>Please, we're using exalted standards.

So was he, dude.

A Dawn with 50 Melee Charms will rip apart literally anyone else in the setting, almost without contest.

Hell, *25* Melee Charms would be more than sufficient to stomp on basically everyone else in the setting short of things you just can't violence to death easily (Third Circles, jouten, etc.)
>>
>>44634428

Athletics has a couple of different sub-trees though; you don't need to master all of them. I'm playing a supernal Athletics, and I started the game with the complete feat of strength tree.

If I go all out, I can average 30+ successes, which is half again as many as the highest difficulty in the feat of strength table. Being able to physically demolish basically any object you come across has a large number of applications, especially if you're inventive. It's really fun, and it only cost me 6 charms to completely master that niche.
>>
>>44634875
See I started with jumping and running charms and because I split between them I'm still not quite done with either. Not sure if there's any point to the flight charms. They completely lack any utility really and it's a big part of my decision. I'll definitely get strength charms but it definitely feels like I need more than 10 charms.
>>
>>44635043

I still think there should be a general flight charm rather than forced work in combat.
>>
>>44635365

There is. It's called Terrestrial Circle Sorcery.
>>
>>44635365
I completely agree.

>>44635390
That's bullshit. Either don't have flight charms at all in athletics or have a general one. If you want to model fighting someone constantly in the air than you should just have modeled it after jumping not flying while fighting.
>>
>>44635430
>That's bullshit. Either don't have flight charms at all in athletics or have a general one. If you want to model fighting someone constantly in the air than you should just have modeled it after jumping not flying while fighting.
are you retarded? Sorcery gets to do things that are not in-theme for solar charms, that's the big advantage. Flying isn't a solar thing, but it's a sorcery thing.
>>
>>44635493
My point is. That if that's the case then athletics fullstop should not let you fly at all. Both of the flight charms should instead be modeled by jumps. Letting jump up and down in an instant without effecting your ability fight. Visually it'd probably look stupid but it would follow the theme you are proposing. The fact that you get flight at all means you should be able to get a general flight charm. Even though it'd probably be modeled more like running in the air.
>>
>>44635430
>If you want to model fighting someone constantly in the air than you should just have modeled it after jumping not flying while fighting.

Focusing her Essence down her spine and through her lower extremities, the Exalt repels the ground with a tremendous **LEAP**. The Exalt locks onto an aerial target, whether it be a Haslanti skyship or a Stormwind Rider, leaps toward it and begins to soar. This moves her up to two range bands, expending her movement action, and allows her to continue flying one range band through the air on subsequent turns by paying two motes or two Initiative per turn. Once she is within combat range of an opponent, attacking is sufficient enough movement to keep her airborne. If she is a ranged fighter, she may also use Unbound Eagle Approach, paying two motes in order to hang in the air, planing along an air current as she takes an aim action. Lastly, the Solar can also channel a burst of speed for two motes, allowing her to rush or disengage from appropriate distances.

If she fails to activate the Charm, gets knocked off-course or otherwise begins to fall, Eagle-Wing Style cannot be reactivated until she touches down and is able to **LEAP** again.
>>
>>44635603
>Attacking is enough movement to keep her air born
>Regardless of how you attack regardless of how it makes sense
It stops being a leap at that point.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwbqr2UjeSg
>>
>>44635628
>It stops being a leap at that point.
It goes by Kingdom Hearts rules, you can only stay in the air as long as you have something to keep attacking. This is the Cinematic Video Game Action edition of Exalted, fights look like Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry and other shit like that.
>>
>>44635738

Or, y'know, wuxia. Which has the exact same thing going on.
>>
>>44635738
You know I can accept that in those games but this isn't a video game so I can't say I'm a fan of it. I don't think it's appropriate. Also it's clearly modeled after flying which is just an issue I have.

> to continue flying one range band through the air on subsequent turns by paying two motes or two Initiative per turn.
>>
>>44635835
True, that's a farther back influence, though, and I don't know of any Wuxia film where the characters expressly can't do their wire fu out of combat, but staying off the ground indefinitely as long as their is an enemy in the air you're smacking but not being able to just cause you want to is an explicit part of those games.
>>
>>44635889
>expressly can't do their wire fu out of combat

Because the two kinds of wire-fu (Mountain Crossing Leap and Eagle-Wing Style) are indistinguishable from a movie perspective. In either case all we see is "the kung fu guy is in the air for an abstract amount of time, punchkicking or not."
>>
>>44635954
Wire-Fu is more of the Graceful Crane Stance + Monkey Leap combo, Wuxia tends to just be people doing 20 foot long float-y jumps from treetop to treetop, crossing blades mid jump, not floating in midair fighting for as long as they want to, like this charm. Again, that is a direct port of the mechanics of said video games, and I don't think I need to spell out the similarity between the main combat mechanic of Exalted 3e and Dissidia Final Fantasy. There are clear, direct mechanical influences from specific video games here, above and beyond the influence those game got from Wuxia as well.
>>
>>44635837
And to continue this conversation, yeah, if you don't like it in a tabletop RPG, stylistically, that's a perfectly valid opinion. It being modeled off of the flight mechanics was just the easiest way for them to get this specific charm to function the way they wanted it to, and get the fluff representation across to players.
>>
>>44636276
It's just too dissidia. as the person said above. It's not even too anime. Because dissidia as the guy said above is the only anime that actually does that mechanic. DMC KH those only last for as long you keep the combo string. Not just attacking. KH is less valid as you get floating and psudo-flight as a default in specific styles.

It just doesn't feel like exalted at all. I don't know why they have such a boner for the game. I mean I like Dissidia but modelling everything after it feels lazy.
>>
>>44635837

So, if I throw a rock, and sending it flying through the air, am I using the flight mechanics?

That is the only mention of flight in that charm, and it's in precisely that context - the user "flying through the air" propelled by their leap.
>>
>>44636309
>DMC KH those only last for as long you keep the combo string.
In DMC, you can jump off of sufficiently large enemies, and in 4 I think Dante can just keep combing bosses in the air forever without needing to jump, and Nero can Devil Arm to do it for sure, and I've been able to stay in the air forever in Kingdom Hearts with a long combo and a flying or tall enemy, and just starting a new combo before hitting the ground.
>>
>>44636366
I meant the good DMC. Dante has to keep up a combo string and if he misses once the combo ends. Nero's is also not as easy as you think it is.

KH is easier but isn't remotely similar to this charm.

I'll just get my Twilight to give me shoes that let me run in the air. Which is just cheaper and easier. Since my ST is really not fond of homebrew charms and artifacts due to the system allows it. It's still just something I don't feel belongs in it's current implementation.
>>
>>44636421
>Nero's is also not as easy as you think it is.
I don't remember hitting the ground more than once my first time fighting the first boss of DMC4, the Devil Arm Spider Man Web Sling grab pulls you really high up in that fight, and you can spam it as much as you want.

>KH is easier but isn't remotely similar to this charm.
I fought Sephiroth in KH2 by disabling my combo finisher, and I could stay in the air forever very easily that way, when combined with the glide move, and gliding really far to get to the enemy before floating near them to keep attacking seems very closely aligned with what this charm does.

This charm is not a one to one perfect simulation of KH or DMC, but neither is it to Dissidia, it's just inspired by this specific video game convention. And I don't see why being too Dissidia in specific as opposed to too video game in general would be a problem here, if it was.

I'll repeat this though
>>44636276
>yeah, if you don't like it in a tabletop RPG, stylistically, that's a perfectly valid opinion.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGq6FXcpxtY
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.