[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/: Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition General: Koreaboo Navy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22
File: 1317420307.jpg (82 KB, 500x519) Image search: [Google]
1317420307.jpg
82 KB, 500x519
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

We've had a couple questions about playing in maritime settings lately. Tell me of your adventures at sea, /5eg/.
>>
What's 5eg in the new Unearth Arcana?
>>
>>44582091
College of swords shits on the rogue, scout shits on the ranger, and jester makes people shit themselves.

So, better than usual.
>>
File: 1451920106349.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1451920106349.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44582091
OP here; sorry, should have posted.
>>
>>44582118
Swashbuckler/CoS would be amazing.
>>
>Tumble as a bonus action which is dash and disengage at the same time
Hory shet
>>
>>44582118
>shits on the rogue
How so?
>>
>>44582273
Yeah, that's not making it to print intact.
>>
>>44582289
Tumble
>>
>Trick Shooters Flourish
>Losing 1d4+3/4/5 damage from throwing an offhand dagger and a bardic die for 3.5-6.5 extra on your attack roll
I feel like this isn't worth it
>>
>>44582327
But that isn't College of Swords
>>
>>44582356
Oh I guess i have mixed it up. /shame
>>
>>44582327
> ITT: reading comprehension
>>
>>44582273
So as a bonus action, you could dash and disengage your full movement?

And then move.

And then dash again?

Isn't that like 3 times your movement?
>>
Also, it annoys me that blades as a rule get perfect interrogation.

Statistically speaking, information gleaned from intimidation isn't necessarily reliable. Often times, the target, if they are truly afraid of you, will just tell you what you want to hear.
>>
>>44582383
See >>44582325. This is why you fill out the surveys.

There's a jester faction in my group's setting that PCs can join. We just handled it via Feat.
>>
>If players open a door, nomatter how, the situation, whatever they do, they always get hit by every enemy in the room
I'm getting tired of this shit
>>
>>44582406
Well, don't get me wrong, the jester college is a good idea. Just the implementation is broken right now.

I really like the fool's luck feature for instance. The wild magic sorc is the most fun sorc to DM for, and this seems like it'd be a lot of fun to DM for as well.
>>
>>44582431
Be more sneaky
Open the door with a 10 foot pole or mage hand and put an illusion of someone else opening it
Throw down a spell like fog cloud to obscure you
Take the Dodge action before you open it
>>
>>44582475
Already done the 4
>>
What exactly is the point of tumble. A satire bard has no reason to be in melee. It just seems like an overkill solution to get a caster away from a melee attacker
>>
>>44582487
>what is the point of tumble
>seems like a solution to get a caster away from a melee attacker.

Also it lets certain bards run faster than horses.

So there's that.
>>
File: UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44582056

Here's the Waterborne Adventures UA from a few months back.

My homebrew setting is very maritime, and my group has spent most of our sessions there. Ships are expensive, so until you can save up together to buy one, having to pay fare for rides or stow ships is rather fun. Makes gold more of an active part of the game.

Ships don't have cannons in this setting to make life a bit easier. All ship vs. ship combat takes place by pulling alongside one another and swinging across to the other side. You must always sink the other person's ship, as sailing a vessel you did not purchase is considered piracy.

Otherwise, island chains are rather great for when the whole group can't make it and you want to run side missions. You can always come up with another island a couple days away last minute for them to go kill things on and get some gem from.

Honestly, after running so much maritime I think I'd have a harder time doing anything more landlocked.
>>
>>44582566
Why would it be considered piracy to sail a ship that attacked you?

Other than that, your setting sounds fun.
>>
>>44582383

I think it's suppose to read that you get the Dash and Disengage actions available to you. I'm pretty sure you can only take your bonus action to Dash OR Disengage, like the rogue's cunning action. Getting both as a bonus would be nuts.

Although, it does read oddly.
>You gain the benefits of taking the Dash and Disengage actions.
>>
Changing weapons in combat costs a action?
>>
>>44582580

The local government is more of an imperial force, so they're not native. They want to control all resources in the region, of which there are many.

Part of this is not allowing ships to be transferred second-hand. Any ship that is to be sold used must be sold to the shipyard stockman. All used ships must be purchased from the shipyard stockman. That way all ship transactions have a cut going to the big guys in charge.

This was loosely inspired by EA games and their $5 bullshit to activate online features of games because they got mad they were losing out on used game sales.

But yes, if they attack you, it's illegal to use their ship as it was not purchased. You would not have a legal deed in your name notarized by the Stockman of the Watch. Law of the land is that you must either sink it or return it to the shipyard stockman for a reward.

The reward is pretty meager, so most just sink it. Getting caught on a ship you didn't buy is considered piracy, and piracy yield the sentence of death.
>>
>>44582594
Define "changing weapons"
You mean sheathe your current draw a new one? then yes.
You mean drop your current draw a new one? once per turn free action if you didn't spend it already.
>>
>>44582651
Let's suppose that I'm with a Greatsword in my hands, and I want to change it to a Maul.
>>
>>44582700
drop greatsword and draw maul, it's free once per turn to draw or sheath, if you want to do both it takes a whole action.

See "interact with objects" rules.
>>
>>44582700
PHB page 190

Interacting with objects around you, it lists draw or sheathe a sword as something to do in tandem with your action, but its implied you can only do it once per action, so if you drop/place your weapon, you can draw another for free
>>
Which is the ultimate tanker in 5e?
>>
>>44582911
Several Options, all of which are good in their own ways, but the problem with Tanking in 5e is that the enemies can just choose to ignore you.

Heavily Armoured Battlemaster that focuses on 'crowd control' is the closest to the mmo tank.

Bearbarb with GWM takes half from all but psychic and has massive health, and with the extra damage from GWM it's easy to convince the enemies never to ignore you.

Eldritch Knight in heavy armour with a shield at level 7 can cast Bladeward every turn and still pull off an attack as a bonus action (Massive ac & half damage from regular hits), along with spells like shield.

One tanky build I've used in the past was a mountain dwarf abjuration wizard, at level 4 I picked up the 'heavily armoured feat', and at level 8 I had the tough feat. So I had lots of health, high ac, and a bonus pool of health in the form of my ward, along with a plethora of spells.

And if you're a paladin you get heavy armour, a shield, a fighting style and you automatically pack enough punch to never be ignored.

There's probably some options i'm missing, but those are just from the top of my head
>>
>>44582911
In my game is the bladesinger wizard, the fucker has AC 21 at second level without items, and now he has a staff with shield and mage armor.

Now more seriously probably a 20th level druid, he can soak tons of damage.
>>
>>44582968
How a Wizard got 21 AC in level 2?

>>44582966
I was thinking in a Fighter or Paladin Goliath, Mountain Dwarf, or Human Variant, but I think that Goliath is only good at lower levels.
>>
I'm not really sold on the Scout. I like the idea of a Rangerish Fighter, but while the Cavalier gets a bunch of mount-related features in addition to Superiority dice, the only thing the Scout gets is the Natural Explorer feature, which isn't that great.

I'm inclined to take the Deep Stalker Ranger path and convert it over to the Fighter for a Scout, myself.
>>
>>44583029
Mage armor (13) + Dex (4) + Int (4), then add Shield (+5) when needed and bam!, you're better tank than the poor defense fighter who can't even buy a full plate yet. Yeah, the wizard rolled pretty well (one 17 and one 16)
>>
>>44583061
How the INT sums up the AC?
>>
>>44583072
Bladesinger subclass
>>
>>44583072
Bladesingers add their Int to their AC while in their totes-not-a-rage.
>>
>>44583087
It's like a rage but with more singing.

...Although now I want to make a tavern brawler sailor barbarian that sings shanties as his rage.
>>
>>44583087
>totes not a rage
More spammeable than rage till 10th level, he can do it twice per short rest, rage is per day.
>>
>>44582968
Using point buy, a level 2 Bladesinger will 'only' have 19 AC with Bladesong and Mage Armor up.

However, a theoretical Bladesinger/Monk with 20s in Dex, Int and Wis would have 25 AC with Bladesong.

More plausibly, a similar character with 20s in only Dex and Wis, wearing a Headband of Intellect (which grants 19 Int while worn), would have only 1 less.
>>
>>44583202
Even more plausibly, a monk with 20 on Dex/Wis and bracers of armor will have 23 AC, I'll settle for that instead of fucking myself up with MC into wizard.
>>
>>44583202
Maybe they rolled stats and he started with 18 int?
>>
>>44583106
> Totem of the Parakeet
>>
>>44583250
Did you perhaps mean Bracers of Defense and a Ring or Cloak of Protection?

Because the same character with all 3 items could have 29 AC. :^)
>>
>>44583298
Having one item is more plaussible than having 3
>>
>>44583313
By that logic, the Bladesinger/Monk with Headband is the most plausible.

There is no item that grants +3 to AC short of actual Legendary magical armor.
>>
>>44583298
I haven't read all of 5e yet, but do items no longer count as enhancement bonus and thus you can only benefit from ofne of them?

Either way, good luck having your DM give you this much.
>>
>>44583362
You now have attunment. You can only attune 3 magic items to yourself. Most magic items need attunement. Basic items like +1/2/3 weapons and armor don't
>>
>>44583404
I saw that, I was mostly asking whether you can now enchant a fighter's magic sword and have both the spell and enhancement have effect or not. Or whether even items with the same sort of bonus mght stack.
I just feel if that's the case, eventually there might be loopholes with newer items.
>>
>>44583428
The spell magic weapon specifies a nonmagical weapon, so no, they do not stack.
>>
Next saturday I'll give my players a magic item each, but I'll not tell which item is it, how the players can now the properties of a magic item?
>>
>>44583496
Players can identify a magic item's properties during a short rest. Or the Identify spell can do it.
>>
>>44583496
By spending an hour studying it.
Identify spell is fasters and a ritual though.
>>
>>44583511
>>44583508
Thank you, and how choose the items? I don't want roll the table, but I don't want to give them too powerful things.
>>
>>44583508
Except for curses, of course.
>>
>>44583532
Don't give anything with numeric bonuses to d20 rolls or defenses if you want to avoid power creep.
>>
>>44583532
What level are they?
Is there anything thematic that their characters are desperate for?
How common is magic in your game?

You could just pick things with the 'uncommon property', or give them all a +1 piece of gear, robe/weapon/shield/armour etc
>>
>>44583532
Look at your party and how they solve problems. Give them items that make said solutions easier, and then up the ante on challenges.
>>
>>44583617
They're a group of 7 level 4 (almost 5) players, they don't have any magic item, and magic is common but magic items aren't.

They're in a temple of a old and forsaken god.

>>44583612
>>44583621
I was thinking in a weapon+1 to all of them, but this isn't fun actually.
>>
>>44583780
I gave all my players +1 weapons. They are now cutting through deadly encounters like butter.
>>
>>44583780
While getting bonuses to hit and damage is nice from a combat standpoint, it would be much more flavorful if you gave them items based on what god this was a temple to.

Which begs the question: which god is this?
>>
>>44583870
>+1
>cutting through dadly encounters like butter
They got +5% to hit, that's not much
In my group we got some +1 weapons, I just ignored my +1 longsword and kept using my greatsword with my barb, doing way better this way than with +1 longsword even against monsters with non-magical resistance.
>>
>>44582118
>College of swords shits on the rogue
How? It's nothing like the rogue, other than both use 'light' weapons.
If anything, it shits on the Bladesinger, and even then they're different enough.
>>
>>44583780
Avoid the plusses if you're not willing to play around with game balance a bit. You may just need to be creative instead of using the DMG stuff.
>>
>>44583944
Neamel (a god of my setting)

It is a temple of the forgotten god Neamel, a good god that have the life domain.

But this temple was shared with the death god and the balance was broken.

Now only a few defenders of the old life god remain in control of a few areas in the temple.

They made a deal with the characters, they'll give the artefact they seek and in return the characters will convince the king to build a new temple for Neamel (the son of the king is ill and this artefact can heal him)

But to remove this artefact a ritual is needed and it takes 24h to complete it.

The evil guys will try to outrun and stop the ritual and the characters must defend the Neamel followers, which will give them some items to help in this fight.
>>
>>44584014
Might be more flavorful for them to win the fight without the items, and then have the restored god equip them as his champions as thanks.

Choose items based on what your party does during this fight.
>>
>>44584014
So, a god of life whose temple is shared with a god of death.

Well, for level 5, you probably want to limit things to Uncommon rarity. I imagine Neamel's related shticks might include creating life, healing and protection.

For the first, you could throw in, for instance, a Bag of Tricks, an Elemental Gem or a Silver Raven Figurine of Wondrous Power.

For the second, you might instead give them, for example, some Keoghtom's Ointment, a Periapt of Health or a Periapt of Wound Closure.

For the third, the usual Brooch of Shielding or Cloak of Protection would do, though you might also consider some items which don't protect from direct damage, like a Periapt of Proof against Poison or a Ring of Warmth.

For the death side of things, it'll be harder to keep to Uncommons (Staff of Withering, Sword of Life Stealing, Sword of Wounding and many of the items you'd think of are Rare and above), and you may want to wait till they're a little higher in level before you start dropping associated magic items.
>>
>>44584205
That would be fun, but the problem now is to decide which items to give them.
>>
>>44584248
The death side of the temple have a Mummy Lord, they'll not go in there, so their items will be just related to the good god.
>>
>>44582223
Scout = Fighter + ranger with a shitload of skills.
I want to like that.... but should I?
>>
>>44584257
I mean, for me that's half the fun. You can also talk to your players OOC to help you. I imagine they're not gonna be shitheads if you tell them "good job, the god you saved is gonna give you a magic item," but I don't know.

Since it's a life god, themes of healing or water might be a good guide.
>>
>>44583106
A bladesinger player should know some appropriate 1-minute songs. For example, To Be The Best by Tenacious D.
>>
Does a thrown dagger benefit from the Archery Fighting style, and if not, which fighting style does it benefit from?
>>
File: 35353142[1].jpg (72 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
35353142[1].jpg
72 KB, 400x400
>go to jester school
>super excited to learn how to make people laugh.
>mfw first lesson is horse races
>not races on horses, literally racing against horses using the super secret art of falling down artfully
>tfw i'd have a better image if they started teaching me to be funny but they haven't so you get dank memes instead.
>>
>>44582587
>Although, it does read oddly.
It doesn't read "oddly", it reads completely contrary to your wishful thinking that it's not insanely powerful. Because that's how it works, it's really that good.
>>
>>44584584
It is a ranged weapon, so I guess technically. Since it does benefits blowguns even if it's called archery.

It also benefits from two weapon fighting if you are using two daggers and also from dueling if you're only using one dagger.
>>
>>44584670
That seems cool.

Daggers at dawn. Two men stand back to back, take 3 paces, and then draw and throw their daggers.

More often than not, they both die.
>>
>>44584670
Twitter ruling from the devs say no, a thrown weapon is not a ranged weapon even while being thrown. Otherwise you are right.
>>
>>44584584
A dagger is not a ranged weapon; it is a melee weapon with the thrown quality.

There is a difference.
>>
>>44584601
Keep at it bard-kun, soon you'll be able to make people fart whenever you want.
>>
>>44584713
>tfw go to jester school and after gym class all they teach you is fart jokes.
>>
>>44584584
A dagger isn't a ranged weapon, so no - though you could probably pitch to your DM that it makes more sense than the Fighting Style that actually works RAW, which, unless I'm mistaken, is Dueling (since you are still wielding a melee weapon in one hand even as you make a ranged weapon attack with it).

>>44584601
You fail to realize that the art of making people laugh is intrinsically tied to the art of falling down. Falling is an inherently funny act - perhaps THE inherently funny act. By falling down in the most optimal manner, most hilarious, in front of the largest number of people possible, you generate the most laughter.

Bards in the College of Satire aspire towards the legendary First Jester, who was said to achieve such mastery of the tumble that he could fall continually forwards across not merely indefinite stretches of land, but also sea and sky.

In hushed whispers, the tale of his last known tumble, where he pushed the envelope of his art just that little too far and hurled himself forwards through time, is still spoken of by jesters to this day.
>>
>I can force people to fart with the new bard school

Finally my magical realm can begin.
>>
>>44584743
The source of all jester power is the tumbleforce?
>>
>>44584780
Those who watched Dragonball Z may recall Mr. Satan's powerful trip that sent him flying. Same principle.
>>
>>44582619
Is there such a glut of ships that he isn't able to sell what he's got? Otherwise it would seem the Stockman would be obliged to raise the reward commensurate to the market rates for ships. An economy where people would rather destroy salvage rather than sell it sounds like an irrational actor has their hand on the wheel.
>>
>>44582700
Sheathe your greatsword, it is now a maul.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (78 KB, 360x414) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
78 KB, 360x414
>>44584745
Why limit your self to just people? Fool's Insight replicates detect thoughts. Detect thoughts works on any creature with at least 4 Intelligence, or which has a language. You could make any number of creatures that fulfill one of these requirements fart. Imagine farting skeletons or farting beholders. Farting crawling claws or demiliches. Even devils and demons. March into the Nine Hells and embarrass Asmodeus in front of his subjects.
>>
>>44584976
The only social gaffe skeletons can get is getting a boner in public. :^)
>>
>>44584921
Well the State is inherently irrational, so there you go.
>>
File: Hammer_sword_art.jpg (316 KB, 1514x2048) Image search: [Google]
Hammer_sword_art.jpg
316 KB, 1514x2048
>>44584934
Goddammit Kirk!
>>
>>44582566
I actually didn't get a lot of mileage out of that UA. In fact, I had to rename a homebrew Ranger archetype because "Mariner" got taken by a fighting style.

My group's setting is a water world with few landmasses, and those that exist are riven by extreme magical upheaval. Think the Pacific Rim with arcane storms and eruptions instead of volcanism. With magic being so commonplace, arcana is present in almost all technology, and real-world tech has not advanced past the bronze age, at best.

A big part of characterization for different cultures in the setting is how they negotiate the seas: humans are cosmopolitan, but dependent on the technology and skills of other peoples for survival; a dwarfish empire is easily the most powerful standing authority in setting and craft swift and powerful ships propelled by magic-driven screws, but prefer to leave exploration and commerce to their subjects. There's an elfish faction that solely inhabits city-sized ships crafted from scavenged or commandeered vessels and uses 2- to 4-man magic jetskis in battle.

the setting is actually a vast prison plane for a vanquished outsider; it's shattered body is the landmasses.
>>
>>44584921

It has nothing to do with the market, the government is just too greedy to pay fair price.
>>
>>44582557
> Link rolling around Hyrule speedrun.webm.
>>
>>44582700
Other option, attack with greatsword this turn, then sheathe it. Next turn, draw maul.
>>
File: 1447821554950.png (2 MB, 1318x2000) Image search: [Google]
1447821554950.png
2 MB, 1318x2000
>>44584934
>>44585058

I inadvertently started plagiarizing bloodborne when making my campaign (I haven't played it), right down to naming the first hunter-esque person Ludwig. Now I feel like I should scrap it since my last campaign I intentionally plagiarized DaS.
>>
Are there any good 5E novels? I don't have a group anymore so I endlessly make characters in my boredom, so I was thinking of getting into a good D&Desq book series to get into.
>>
>>44585798
Everybody steals from everything, anon.

If you throw away campaigns for being derivative, you'll be lucky to play at all.
>>
>>44582383

No, just double. The trick is to forget 3e's "move actions".

You have, say, 30 ft move. That's not an action, it's just something you can do in your turn.

The Dash action gives you 30 more. The Disengage action does NOT grant extra movement. It just flags your movement as "no AOOs".

This is still more than the rogue can accomplish, for no reason.
>>
>>44586722
What he's saying is you'd be able to move 30ft with your movement, use your action to dash to give yourself another 30ft, then use your bonus action to tumble, giving you a final 30ft and disengage.

So you could move 90ft in one round without provoking AOO.
>>
>>44586722
He's actually right. Assuming base movement of 30 feet, while tumbling:

1. Move 30 feet.
2. Take the Dash action. Move 30 more feet.
3. Use your bonus action to Dash again, move another 30 feet.

This really should have been thought out better.
>>
>banned all UA material at my table
John Goodman.jpg
>>
>>44586844
BROTHER, IT IS GOOD TO MEET YOU AMONG ALL THIS DARKNESS.
>>
>>44586803
I'd just homerule it so you can't use Dash again after Tumble since it's already Dash.
>>
>>44586794
>>44586803
>>44587030

Oh. Yes, I see now. But yeah, I wouldn't allow triple movement either. I would say you can't benefit from Dash twice, and the Tumble action directly uses it.
>>
>>44587030
Fair enough.

I'd just houserule that UA is generally shit, that the only 2 good, not-broken UA archetypes made it into SCAG, and that FartyBard is a no-no.
>>
File: 1450988637192.jpg (67 KB, 246x480) Image search: [Google]
1450988637192.jpg
67 KB, 246x480
Level 5 great weapon fighter here, I posess GWF style and the GWM feat already, but my strenght score is still only 18. Come next level, I know the general consensus says that I should just upgrade it up to twenty, but I was wondering if I should do something to "boost my tankiness" instead.
I use a heavy plate for defence, but my horribly rolled dexterity (8) does not let me pass but the easiest of AOE attacks or traps. Fortunately my constitution is quite high (17), but as the only martial character of our band, I'm the one that has to bear the brunt of our enemies' melee attacks. Should I stick to the old and trusty mantra of "Offense is the best defence", or perhaps up my HP with either ability points or even feats such as HAM or Tough? The way my constitution is on the unevens makes me doubt my previously chosen path...
>>
>>44587296

Next level, take Resilient (Dexterity), then at 8, increase your dex to 10 and your con to 18.
>>
>>44587296
This isn't even a question. Get your strength to 20 first.
>>
>>44587446
>>44587451

Or take STR 20, then do the Resilient plan at 8/12.
>>
>>44587296
Do what >>44587446 suggested and then pick up lucky at lvl 14 and tough at lvl 16. Having 3 free rerolls a day can be a life saver.
>>
>>44587296
20 strength. Worry about the rest after that. If you're not getting downed regularly then there's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>44587517
god of not giving a fuck
>>
>>44587572
> Feat stacking
Ok.
>>
>>44588424
whats wrong with feat stacking? it's what fighters have always excelled at.
>>
>>44586844
Thinking about doing this for my first 5e campaign. Might allow the Ranger UA, though. Thoughts?
>>
>>44588596
Read ambuscade again and then think about it.

Hint: no.
>>
>>44588588
They also excel at fighting and doing damage. Prioritizing 20 Str is a smarter move than loading up on feats, with the possible exception of lucky.
>>
>>44588596
I say this as a person who thinks that the ranger needs all the help it can get?

Give and inch and they'll take a mile.

No Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>44588891
well they can grab it at lvl 12 though too. 20 str is not as useful if you die. though an alternative option would be to you could grab 20 str at 6, then resilient (dex) at 8, then increase dex and con by 1 at 12, then get luck and tough at 14 and 16.
>>
Core only is the best way to play.

EE spells are okay too if you really want.
>>
Need tips for a Cleric healer/tanker
>>
>>44589468
Life cleric 1, druid 19. Feed people goodberries for all those level 1 slots and turn into a bear when you need to tank.
>>
>>44585027
No they cant, they dont have meat, just bones. Therefore having an erection is impossible.
Love, /sci/
>>
>>44589247
Personally I love some of the new content introduced in EE and SCAG (I love the goliath race most of all), but I can understand why others would want to limit the usable materials.

>>44589468
Hill dwarf Life Cleric. Works pretty solidly in my experience.
>>
File: akaaton_armour_2.png (195 KB, 364x403) Image search: [Google]
akaaton_armour_2.png
195 KB, 364x403
>>44587446
>>44587451
>>44587542
>>44587572
>>44587597

Thank you for the answers, everyone. I'll have to think about what I want to do really...

I mean, strenght of 18 has been serving me very well up until this point, but of course I understand the mathematics behind that seemingly meager two points more that could be add to it.

One of the problems has actually been that I've been getting downed.. A LOT. The melee seems to always shift in the way, that it's me against all the teethy-creatures, while the rest of my friends mash spells on to them from behind me.

I hadn't actually even thought of the resilient at all. I'm going to think about it, thanks!
>>
>>44585578
>magic jetski elves
Oh, fuck yes.
>>
>>44589926
You can always dip levels in another class to get some tankier features. One level of Barbarian gets you rage, which means resistance to physical damages plus a little extra damage. Dip a level of Cleric or Paladin to be able to cast Shield of Faith and get some other cool features. Lots of options.
>>
>>44582566
Why wouldn't you use ranged weapons like bows and ballista

why would you even bother sinking the enemy ship
>>
This is one sluggish general.

>>44582056
There's not really a lot officially out there for naval adventures, is there? The UA had a couple of player options, but none of the books really address naval stuff.

I am especially disappointed that the SCAG didn't include any of that sort of thing. They included the 2 UA subclasses, but I somehow thought there'd be boaty boat action.
>>
>>44583061
Twice per rest and costs a slot and if a bunch of kobolds attack him the advantage and 10% crit chance makes the AC worthless
>>
>>44590873

You can, I just said there aren't any cannons. I think you filled in the blanks and assumed no other ranged.

The Empire pays a bounty for sunken pirate ships, same as bringing them to to the Stockyard. Easier to burn it and leave than it is to tow it all the way somewhere else.
>>
>>44582056
When you multiclass sorcerer to Warlock, do you start using the fullcaster multiclass table?
>>
>>44583344
Shield +3?
>>
>>44592305

Pact Magic spell slots are separate from every other kind of spell slot

keep reading
>>
>>44590898

>There's not really a lot officially out there

5e's biggest problem in 8 words
>>
>>44592138
Why would they subsidize waste? That seems very irrational.
>>
>>44592353
Thanks you for sparing my book, anon.
But really, the pages are loose for some reason. Hell, that didnt happen to my 3.0 phb and I used it way more. Waaay more.
But yeah, no excuse for no reading that big ass entry, my bad, I dont usually do multiclass.
Thanks again, anon, you are great!
>>
>>44592362
I wish they'd pump out adventures like crazy. Hell you could just rewrite some classics too.

Guess this is what happens when you gut your entire D&D team save for a few tards like Mearls.
>>
>>44592434
If you book is falling apart, contact WotC. They've been good about replacing broken bindings from the first print run of the core books.
>>
>>44592362
Give it time, anon.
Psions in 4 years.... You'll see!
...I hope.
>>
>>44592340
that is covered by legendary magic armor.
>>
>>44583344
I thought braccers of defense weren't legendary
>>
>>44592353

Great, here comes the "read the book" crew. Remember, kids, never have a question ever!
>>
>>44592451
Even if I dont livre in the US?
>>
>>44592484
>4chan is my personal tech support

fuck off
>>
>>44592455
5e will be no more in 4 years.
>>
>>44592449

JUST GIVE ME AN OFFICIAL CONVERSION OF RED HAND OF DOOM AND MAYBE I'LL ACTUALLY GIVE HASJEW MY MONEY FOR ONCE
>>
>>44592484
>>44592501
There, there, guys!
There is no need to be upset!
Lets all be great to each other!
>>
>>44592410

They're not subsidizing the sunken ships themselves, but the deed of ridding pirates of the area. You can get extra bounty for killing them AND bringing this ship, but the other bounty is cut in half. Plus, it takes a LOT of time to tow that other ship, which sucks if people are on a mission somewhere.
>>
>>44592434
>Thanking
Bitch, I wish I could GM a game with a maggot like you, only to fuck you beyond the realms of fuck.
>>
>>44592501

Why do you come to this thread just to get pissed off every day?
>>
>>44592588
Nice dubs, Virt.
>>
>>44592486
>livre
No hablo su onibus
>>
>>44592616
I don't.

A simple google search or, y'know, reading the damn book would have answered the question for you. Don't post stupid questions.
>>
>>44592486
Can't hurt to try.
>>
>>44592674

If you can read a text book and gain full understanding from it, that's great. Just realize that 90% of the population isn't like that.

To think that folks aren't going to come here and ask beginner questions is a bit of a stretch, m80
>>
>>44592683
Dont you have to ship them your book?
Not anon, but international shopping os expensive as fuck, maybe he should ask some senior livro to patch his book back, using his not-american-dollars.

>>44592486
Read
>>
What do you guys use for Maps?
>>
>>44592683
Thanks, I'll do!
>>
>>44592766
Making maps or table mats?
>>
>>44592796
I've got a giant pool table I want to convert into a game table for my friends so we can play DnD, 40k and Twiling Imperium on.

I wanted to know what everyone uses for their tabletop games.. for worldbuiling and such, painting maps or dungeons and printing them out.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.
>>
>>44592897

Big old map of square and dry erase markers, although I'd like to use cooler stuff and figures when I'm not a poor fucker.
>>
>>44592897
>Twiling Imperium
>Using the offsprind of Twilight fans as pieces in a boardgame about intergalactic conquest
I approve.
>>
>>44592918
Back to basics, eh? I guess I'll need bigger sheets.

>>44592991
I'm not following.
>>
File: Capture.png (65 KB, 1001x879) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
65 KB, 1001x879
>>44582056
Made a table a while back for custom items for a Monster Hunter-like mechanic we employ in our lower-magic game. Essentially we use a bunch of materials to make custom gear instead of obtaining magic items.

Problem is I never finish filling it out. Anyone have a few ideas?
>>
>>44592479
They aren't. They grant a +2.
>>
>>44593258

Do you have the DMG? There's a lot of great stuff in there about magic item creation. Honestly, the mechanics of yours are pretty much the same as a magic item, just with a different flavor. Perhaps just reskin some old standards. Look to the spell list for inspiration.

That said, if I were a player in a monster hunter campaign, I think a big emphasis on non-lethal stuff would be great. Like those giant sticks with snares, a crossbow modified to shoot a net, etc.

I guess some things that pop to mind for my ideas for properties would be like Foldable, Rust Resistant, Tranquilizing, Swarm Dispersing. Like, animal handling stuff.

Are you capturing or killing these things?
>>
Would a half orc paladin be okay or am I gimping myself by not choosing Dwarf/Half elf/VH?

Also, how do you roleplay a half orc well?
>>
>>44594404

>Would a half orc paladin be okay

Sure it would, they make great paladins. Strength is their primary attribute, and con is good for anyone, but as front-liners it's even better. Intimidation is a Cha skill, which you'll have a decent score in, Relentless Endurance pairs nicely with self-healing like Lay on Hands, Darkvision is great, 30ft speed is great, and Savage Attacks pairs well with GWF if you have it.

Why would you think you'd be gimped?
>>
>>44594584

Mostly because some variation of Dwarf gets +2 Con in addition to Strength and Half Elf gets +2 CHA then +2 to any stat than 2 free proficiencies and a whole host of other bullshit.
>>
>>44594623

The "whole host of other bullshit" evens out, mostly. Half-orcs are not gimped paladins. You'll be fine.
>>
>>44594623
There's a difference between not 100% optimal and gimped.
>>
Am I correct in thinking that the content WotC is publishing monthly in the Unearthed Arcana documents will eventually be published as a supplement to the 5e core books?
>>
>>44594712
They're public playtests. A lot is bound to get cut, and some will show in source books like the swashbuckler and storm sorcerer already have.
>>
>>44594794
I am asking if the content will be compiled into a sourcebook of its own.
>>
>>44594872
Probably not.
>>
>>44594900
Well, that's unfortunate. I have no interest in adventure modules or setting-dependent content.
>>
>>44594404

Play a character, not a stat sheet. The loss of that +1 to hit/dam definitely loses you damage over the course of the campaign, but it's usually made up for in the process of actually having fun.
>>
>>44583085
>>44583085
Where is that subclass in?
>>
>>44594929

Well, that's unfortunate.
>>
Yo, what's the website where I can get the averages for dice rolls and make charts and shit?
>>
>>44595323
Anydice.com
>>
>>44595270
wizard (the the SCAG book)
>>
>>44595331
Cheers family.
>>
>>44594623
>Half Elf gets +2 CHA then +2 to any stat
+1 to two different stats, not +2 to one stat.
>>
>>44595342
>SCAG
Oh shit I had no idea it had new subclasses, anyone have a link?
>>
>>44595410
In the OP. Scroll up.
>>
>>44595262

sure. how do you role play a half orc well? I figured a half orc would most likely be oath of vengeance who uses the paladin ways to fight the innate pull towards evil they experience from gruumsh

>>44595394

that's what i meant, oops.
>>
Building a merchant for a new campaign on friday. New to 5e, but loved the shit out of 3.0 and ADD.
Any tips senpai?
Want the merchant to be non-magical for reasons.
>>
File: file.jpg (45 KB, 795x995) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
45 KB, 795x995
Ok /5eg/ I need some advice.

A few sessions ago I created an animated sword who donned the armor of an ancient cleric, pic related. My PCs befriended him and now they love him.

I play the character in a very likeable way, and he has kind of become my DMPC. My players outright have said to me multiple times they think I made him so likable because I'm going to have him killed. It was a part of my original plan, but I have so much fun roleplaying as a borderline autistic robot that even I don't want him to die.

Should I force the PCs to kill him? One of those fights where they know they have to kill him to save the world, and he tries his hardest to survive but slowly gets beaten to shreds? One of those fights where your heart is trying to stop you attacking and you are barely holding back tears but you know that you have no other option? I want an emotion moment that my PCs will never forget.

Is this too cruel? What do you think?
>>
>>44595700
Guild Merchant (variant of Guild Artisan) background. Pick whatever class you want after that.
>>
>>44595709
I would absolutely give your PCs memorable feels.
>>
>>44595709
>Fight
No way. Don't kill him in a fight.
He is the sword of prophecy that must be reforged and made anew. And his ego destroyed in the process.
>>
>>44595709
Have him sacrifice himself to save the party, preferably after a fight against the big bad. Big bad escapes and trips the ceiling to collapse, but Mr. Swordface holds up the archway long enough for the party to get out before being buried under literal tons of rubble.
>>
>>44595823

I like this idea a lot actually.
>>
>>44595709
You can change it up, force him to be partially destroyed or have some other crisis, resulting in him being an overall weaker but still powerful sentient weapon. Theres room for drama without death, but you probably want it to be a risk.
>>
>>44595823
But he first needs to be subdued in a fight.
>>
>>44595823
This could be good, just need to find a good reason to do it plotwise
>>44595825
This is literally the exact scenario I planned out originally hahaha I guess it's more cliche than I thought
>>44595856
The PCs just got to the major city. I'm going to have him kidnapped (swordnapped?) And dismantled for parts. Going to have to scramble around finding the pieces but I know they'll be able to put him back together.
>>
>>44595903
Just parts? Not trying to take advantage of his magical nature somehow? Perhaps the intent should be to recast his animated body to hold some other being desiring to immortal or something.
>>
>>44592484
Well, it used to be in the OP. Maybe we ought to bring it back.

Read the Book, faget
>>
>>44595945
I think what I'll do is have him captured by a gnomish tinkerer who removes him from the armor and adds mechanical enhancements so that the gnome can wear the armor (which is powerful in its own right.) Then afterwards, the mechanical parts can serve as an upgrade to his abilities.
>>
>>44595709
>>44595823
This, or..

Do the Terminator 2 shebang.

He saves your party from BBEG, has to kill himself in order to subdue the evil by melting in a volcano or something.
>>
>>44595471

I guess there's the commonly accepted way of playing a half-orc, which is stubborn and brash. You could definitely try and twist it. Perhaps trying to be chivalrous despite the connotations of your heritage?
>>
>>44596090
Yeah, and probably they'll be forced not only to defeat him but to destroy the armor (maybe it goes out of control when the gnome goes down?) and all that's left is the sword.
>>
>>44596101
I like the idea of a half-orc who is just supremely chill and practical. There's still a temper in there when his patience runs out, though.
>>
>>44594872
Almost definitely not. And certainly not in its current form.

I mean, the Storm Sorc and the Swashbuckler were a couple of rare balanced classes in UA, and even they got changed up a little.
>>
>>44588596
Ban UA ranger but be nice and give anyone who wants to play ranger a warning that ranger sucks
>>
>>44595410
It's in the OP.

It's ALWAYS in the OP.
>>
>>44596150

I think the better option is the struggle to be chill despite his bloodline anger. Hence taking up a Paladin's lifestyle.
>>
>>44596162
>Swashbuckler
>balanced
By balanced do you mean blows all the other rogue subclasses out of the water?
>>
>>44588596

Running HOTDQ with a UA ranger. Meh. I'd rather just take the Hunter Archetype from the PHB.
>>
>>44596150
>>44596101

I definitely like the idea of brashness in fights against evil. Plus it'll let me make good use of that Intimidate score to scare away weak enemies or maybe get them to focus on me.

>>44596200

brash and loud in fights, and chill and non-judgmental else where?
>>
File: baaaaaaaaaaaaan.jpg (17 KB, 205x179) Image search: [Google]
baaaaaaaaaaaaan.jpg
17 KB, 205x179
>>44595709
> Animated Sword
> Ancient Cleric
> Everybody Loves Him
>>
>>44596172
An archer hunter ranger is probably around as competent as a fighter-archer. I'd personally still rather be a fighter in a game with feats, but the hunter can make a good showing.
>>
>>44596209
> Only plays for combat
Not their fault you Rogue bad.
>>
>>44596209
Ehhh... the rogue still doesn't have a good case for going into melee, and Sage Advice clarified that their Sneak Attack feature doesn't work with ranged weapons. Swashbuckler is fun, but it doesn't add very much to a min-maxed rogue as I see it.
>>
>>44596337
>and Sage Advice clarified that their Sneak Attack feature doesn't work with ranged weapons
Gonna assume that's a typo, friend.
>>
>>44596200
>>44596243

I prefer to avoid the "brash and angry" altogether - he's neither fighting against it nor embracing it. People might assume it by looking at him, but he's just his own person.

Half-orcs are people, and they run the gamut of personality.
>>
>>44596403
http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/roguish-archetype/
Well, it's not exactly "doesn't work with ranged weapons", but Rakish Audacity doesn't help you unless you're within 5 feet of the target, which is not where a ranged rogue usually wants to be. Unless there's a more recent ruling.
>>
>>44596431
> Orc Lives Matter
>>
>>44596243

Kinda, but what I'm saying is that you could play it in a way that he's actively trying to avoid anger and violence, and took an Oath of protection, so only wants to fight when it's just.

It's just that his temper often gets the best of him. That way it's an active struggle.

Letting him orc-out in a fight then be all polite afterwards has been done before a whoooole bunch of times. I suppose if you've never done it before, try it, see how it fits.

I just think it's too convenient that he has all the positive qualities of the moment exactly when you want them. Doesn't hold the same tension.

>>44596431
Don't get all SJW with it. Remember in the old times people were very much held to the standards of their race. If he was apathetic I'm sure the years of judgement would leave him salty. If he was actively fighting the stereotype he'd likely have to be vocal just to make any impression on the unwashed and racist masses.
>>
Welp, this latest UA has left me with a conundrum. The next character I was planning to play is a clown, had him MC Trickery Cleric/Arcane Trickster Rogue. Because I can. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep going with that or replace one with the Satire Bard. Three way MC is out of the question though.
>>
>>44596826

Satire Bard looks stacked as fuck, I just made a tiefling satire bard to use on roll20.

>dat disengage.
>>
>>44596842

Yeah, no kidding, having dash and disengage as a single action is pretty good. I'd have to rethink my character entirely if I do choose to go Satire Bard though. Literally spent months planning this guy out, trying to nickle and dime my way out of being MAD.
>>
>>44596826
Ask your DM if he's allowing UA materials. I'd be very surprised if he'd allow the Jester kit without reading it, and even more surprised if he'd allow it after that.
I previously ran a clown character as a Shadow Monk/Trickery Cleric with a modified Entertainer background. Building your own thing can be more fun, but if your DM allows it and the Jester gives you something you want, go for it.

>>44596794
>Don't get all SJW with it.
I was just kidding with the Orc Lives Matter thing, idiot. Nothing he said was particularly bleeding-heart; if he wants to play an Uncle Torrg, more power to him.
>>
>>44596944

I don't think it'd be a problem getting my DM to allow UA. One guy has 5 Mystic levels and another guy showed up with a homebrewed Warlord class that was utterly ridiculously OP.
>>
>>44596944

Orc lives matter was a completely different post and I could have had no way of knowing it was you because it's an anonymous fucking board. I only replied to that post.

I guess have fun with your shitty rehash character.
>>
>>44596985
>implying every character isn't a shitty rehash character
>>
>>44597012

All of my character are rehashes, I know that much.

Retired paladin looking for adventure after his wife passes
Absolutely fabulous Druid
Asshole monk atoning for a sordid past
Literally retarded Dwarf barbarian

Well...maybe not the druid...
>>
>>44595700
If you want full non Magic then you'll want to go berserker barbarian, champion or battle master fighter, theif or assassin rogue, or way of the fist monk. Here's also a non magical variant of ranger in the UA articles.
>>
>>44596794

>Don't get all SJW with it

All I said was, your character's personality doesn't have to reflect his race if you don't want to. And deliberately attempting to subvert racial stereotypes counts as that. If you want you can just be a dude who happens to be a half Orc. I'm not sure how that's SJWy.
>>
>>44597095

I didn't say you WERE doing that, I just said don't. Like a warning or advice. Chill, brah, I'm not upset. You shouldn't be either.

Friends is a cantrip, let's use it.
>>
>>44596219
Playing with the nonmagical variant myself loving it but wish the superiority dice were swapped for something else.
>>
>>44597137
But then you'd hate him afterwards
>>
>>44597156

Well, I probably would have stolen all of his gold by then and skipped town.
>>
>>44596289
And what interesting out of combat options do other classes provide that outweighs the swashbuckler's consistently amazing class features? Note that the swashbuckler has an out of combat option that's an improved version of charm, useful in pretty much any social situation. Plus free advantage on Athletics and Acrobatics for interacting with and exploring the environment.

>>44596337
>Ehhh... the rogue still doesn't have a good case for going into melee,
Sure it does. It's called "Swashbuckler".
>>
>Only ever played CE rogue in D&D
>Tried out a Lawful good Paladin knight for the first time
>Roleplaying has now become so much more fun

Shit I've been missing so much.
>>
>>44597556
Good to hear. I pref CN, CG, and NE myself. The last time I played a LG cleric, I hated it. I felt restricted as hell.
>>
>>44596985
> Gets BTFO
> Gives rant about how not all Anons are same
> Responds to wrong Anon
Ayy
>>
>>44597616
Alignment shouldn't feel like a straightjacket, how did the rp go?
>>
>>44596979
...Yeah, you're all set. Happy tumbling.
>>
>>44597662
I tried my best to make it fun but I always felt like a wet blanket. None of my actions really felt natural. So after that character I made a CN fighter. Things went great rp wise. The funny thing is that it's specifically LG I cans do. I can do NG and LN well enough.
>>
I have a question, is there any released info that helps you determine the punishment for when a character breaks the law? My Barbarian had sex with the mayors wife and called her a whore when questioned so they burned me at the stake and a Cleric of Bane banished my soul to the nine hells. Is this allowed? It was in Lost mines of Phandelver.
>>
>>44597756
I think you could probably reinterpret LG to not be so restrictive, probably having fun with the "personal code" aspect and being less concerned with anyone elses law and order.
>>
How do you trick genre savvy players into Faustian bargains?
>>
>>44597798
If the DM said it's allowed, it's allowed.

Sounds overboard, but since you're the wronged party I doubt you haven't embellished the story in your favor a bit.
>>
How can I spin a tale around a forest demon that hunts people for sport? I want to spook the shit out of my players with a Predator.
>>
>>44597378
What does the Swashbuckler actually do for the rogue who's in melee, other than let it Sneak Attack more often when it doesn't have advantage? The features past level 3 aren't really that stellar.

Rakish Audacity is certainly nice, but I see it as only barely edging out the superior ability to utilize terrain for hiding when ranged.
>>
>>44596794

I was thinking it was partially an act to make him more "targettable" (fulfills big stupid fighter role IC and mechanically) and it's also a way of getting the orc rage out of him. Fits with Oath of Vengeance too.

A chill Oath of the Ancients Half Orc who uses the tenants of the oath to enjoy and protect life's more joy giving things is cool too though (and I like both oaths about the same anyways); especially because Half Orcs experience all emotions strongly.
>>
>>44597798
Well the town isn't exactly as black and white as strict laws. If the mayor wanted you dead and got the town backing him up it's well in his right to kill you. If I remember correctly until the LMoP questline is done the town is sort of a self elected leader type of town with the guards being volunteers. This lack of legal structure is how the mess with the mage and the red brands arose in the first place. This also means a charismatic PC could of easily saved you by turning the town against the mayor. That mayor is a fucking coward.
>>
>>44597821
That's true, I could try that in the near future with my vengeance Paladian. Thanks for the tip m8.
>>
>>44596985

>have fun with your shitty rehash character

I..haven't posted any of those posts. I've been taking it all into consideration. I just don't want to go Oath of Devotion at any rate because it seems to be like it's the most bland.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.