[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mortal Engines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: Mortalengines.jpg (91 KB, 879x1301) Image search: [Google]
Mortalengines.jpg
91 KB, 879x1301
This series is perfect for an RP setting.
Discuss

If you haven't read them then just read the first paragraph of the first chapter and I dare you not get hooked
>>
Bamp
>>
Those books are so great, for young adult fiction anyway. The setting would work great for any pulp RPG, like FATE or Savage Worlds, pulp heroism, adventure and peril in a world where cities never stay still.

Although thinking back, those books actually had a lot of depth to them. From all the interesting bits of lore about how the world ended up like that, to the fact that it's one of the only books I can think of with an explicitly ugly female lead (which is also the reason it'll never be adapted to a visual medium, sadly.)
>>
>>44581688
Must admit, I think steampunk is the most overrated, autistic setting there is. However I love this series, got really fond memories of ready it as a boy.

and yes I know it's not technically steampunk but it pretty much is so just shut your hole
>>
>>44582105
It's not that steampunkish, and most of it was written before steampunk became all about brass and autism
>>
>>44582105
>>44582260
Dieselpunk you clods! Dieselpunk is the best punk

tied with cyberpunk

Back on topic, mortal engines was fuckin great. Loved how the world moved around the characters as opposed to how most books revolve around the characters changing the world
>>
After the second book, quality takes a nosedive.
>>
>>44582332
i liked the ending
>>
>>44582323

Labeling anything "punk", other than maybe cyberpunk, is fucking stupid. There's nothing "punk" in any of those other settings. Genre writing that has to adhere to conventions and tropes also is fucking stupid.
>>
>>44581688
First book was excellent, second was alright, started declining after that. Still enjoyable, still worthy of being read, still better than the vast majority of YA fiction. The setting itself would be easily ported over, but you'd have to have a document written up for your players as to the DMs interpretation of how things work. Itd be great to play as something like segovia or some other small/mid sized town,escaping the jaws of the Madrid and Barcelonas while eating all the tiny hamlets. SOmething of a Kingdom management game, with a Mayor, Engineer, etc
>>
>>44582416

I could also see an airship crew being a cool way of being involved with the setting.
>>
>>44582416
How about a sky-crew? Hoping around on cities fitin' pirates
>>
>>44582323
If anything its a mix of all those
>>
File: mr-shrike.jpg (2 MB, 2344x3480) Image search: [Google]
mr-shrike.jpg
2 MB, 2344x3480
>>44582068
No reason why It couldn't be a film nowadays, I just wanna see some stalkers fuck shit up
>>
>>44582663

Convince a hollywood exec to greenlight an action adventure film where the female lead with a severe facial disfigurement. It's depressingly unlikely.
>>
>>44582730
They'll give it to Victoria Justice, and rework the disfigurement into an attractive scar, like they did with that new Beauty and the Beast CW thing.

Never read the books, don't know what she looks like
>>
>>44582730
A lot if the time she would have the scarf over her face, andbtheres alwaysbthenother main female character who's supposed to be hot as fuck
>>
File: hester_shaw_by_dreamerontill3.jpg (88 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
hester_shaw_by_dreamerontill3.jpg
88 KB, 600x900
>>44582777
This is pretty accurate
>>
>>44582826
They can totally work with that. Give her back the eye, make the sneer less pronounced, and it becomes a cool thin line. Striking instead of hideous.
>>
File: hester-head.jpg (32 KB, 283x400) Image search: [Google]
hester-head.jpg
32 KB, 283x400
>>44582843
Your probably right, as long as they kept it brutal looking
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.