[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have any tips on how to merge magic and technology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: LlvIYOg.png (15 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
LlvIYOg.png
15 KB, 800x450
Does anyone here have any tips on how to merge magic and technology realistically? (pic related to the setting.)
>>
>magic
>realistically
>>
>>44573635
I like world building and different magic systems, so if you go into more specifics, maybe I can help you brainstorm.
>>
>>44573635
There's always the "everything the same but electricity is actually magic," route. Looking at pic related I'd guess... Using technology to open portals to horrible dimensions? Magically augmented genetic manipulation? Binding demons to automated machines, which then grow flesh and are twice as deadly?
>>
But anon technology is magic
>>
>>44573635
Spells can go into crystals, crystals can be integrated into tech.

>Put scrying crystal into a car for GPS
>Put a lightning crystal into a gun to short out enemy machinery
>Put fire crystal into your generator as a backup generator
>Put charm crystal into your television to help you get immersed

Shit would be so cash.
>>
>>44573635
If you're building a steampunk setting or whatever, Don't differentiate between magic and technology AT ALL. Because a setting where magic and technology are integrated wouldn't make a strong distinction.
>>
File: 423232-tw2.jpg (57 KB, 706x468) Image search: [Google]
423232-tw2.jpg
57 KB, 706x468
Magic as it exists in many games is already "technology". The Vancian system in any D&D rules set is technology.

For a force or a system to be "magical" you must change its nature to one of mystery or interpretation. You have to change the way the people in your world relate to it.

The closest in our own world would be quantum mechanics/string theory. It's a departure from the Newtonian physics most people understand, and yet we can't understand it -- AND YET we can utilize it to make lasers, diodes and weird computers.
>>
How I've wanted to do it is that interplanetary in-system travel was developed, then someone fucked up and everything shat itself.
This fuck up was so colossal reality shat itself, and magic was introduced. So there are ancient technological marvels alongside magic amulets of night vision.

Also have something like harnessing magic as a replacement for energy cells.
>>
>>44573635
You now have the capacity to build tanks, airplanes, cybernetics, and robots with strong AI at a roughly Renaissance-era tech level.
>>
>>44573635
Well considering magic can be used to create perpetual motion, and therefore infinite energy, I propose we use it to colonize the stars, and once every system is under the dominion of man, we conquer the various other planes of reality, with tanks, jets, giant robots, and maids.
>>
>>44574674
>implying.
>>
>>44573635
it requires some experience with roleplaying systems, i would say, or at least fantasy settings, to wonder "why haven't people done X if they can just cast Y?"
basically, if enough people are casters and there are inexpensive spells (can be cast as often as necessary without too much drawbacks and without expensive reagents or elite training) that can do mundane but important activities (agriculture, mining, smelting, forging, carpentry, masonry) safer or more efficient, you would see A LOT of it in any place of sufficient importance. aside from the obvious applications to the military
it also kind of depends on your setting. is it "medieval"? modern urban? bronze age? shadowrun?
of course you could also just lurk harder
>>44577286
this sounds nice
>>44574674
this too
>>44574518
after a few campaigns where the DM had this happen i have become tired of crystals, but i guess it can be neat if OP's group is new to the concept
>>
>>44573635
It entir lay depends on how magic works in your setting. Maybe a fireball can punch a hole in anything better than any gun could, but needs steel plates to protect the wizard from bullets. And those steel plates need an engine and wheels to move across the battlefield.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.