[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ Board Game General - Angry all day erry day edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: angry-board-game.jpg (122 KB, 1296x727) Image search: [Google]
angry-board-game.jpg
122 KB, 1296x727
Why talk about things you enjoy when you could rage about things you don't? As always normal non salty discourse of board games/deckbuilders/etc is welcome here

>Ever had a tfg/that guy/insufferable twat end up playing with you?
>What is your absolute least favorite board game (for the time being, of all time is silly because things change)?
>Least favorite board game company?
>Least favorite board game mechanic?

>Hard mode - Games/companies that BGG doesn't talk about every thread
>>
I spent the last 4 hours reading and rereading the rule to Paths of Glory. I don't own the game, I don't plan to, and I have nobody to play with, but I'd absolutely be up for a game.
>>
>>44570614

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever once seen people play games of that sort in my area like, ever. Everyone tends to favor euro styles heavily though, that and light stuff, so I guess it's probably why. Still, I need to sit down one day and try one. I think a giant game of axis and allies sounds fun, but I guess that's not the same. Still need to play that too, lol.
>>
>>44570554
fucks sake, next time can someone PLEASE make an OP image that's readable from the catalog? hard as fuck to find bgg these days. Also whatever happened to the pastebin?
>>
I played a fuck ton of Elder Sign in the past week and love it. How are the expansions?
>>
>>44570771

>Text

Went form over function. Yeah I dun goofed this time

>Pastebin

Never saved it, only bothered making threads because someone kept using shitty OP images that made it a pain in the ass to find the thread on a phone. A picture of some general with no writing on it does not a good image make.

Kek, considering the first point I guess I've become the monster I sought to slay
>>
>>44570554
Whenever I play at the local college market, there's always this pair of girls, who I suspect are a couple, but don't really care. Anyways, one of them is constantly on the other's back about every little mistake she ever makes or anything she does, to the point of near abuse. Somewhere between annoying and concerning.
>What is your absolute least favorite board game (for the time being, of all time is silly because things change)?
Right now, Betrayal at House on the Hill. One friend is annoyed at me because she used to really like the game, asked me why I don't, and got an explanation, and now she hates it too.
WotC. Oversupport games I don't like, undersupport games I do like, shitty components and high prices everywhere.
Smoke and mirrors designed to disguise that the game is void of player input and entirely random. I'm a fanatical ameritrash fan, but even I can't stand theme entirely devoid of substance.

>>44570771
>whatever happened to the pastebin?
Beats me.
http://pastebin.com/PAGxLuN6
>>
Daily reminder that Pandemic: Legacy is worthy of being the number 1 board game of all time and all those who disagree are just special snowflakes being contrarian.
>>
In Chaos in the Old World, what should everyone's starting moves be?

Should everyone just summon a fuckload of cultists, with some warriors to defend them? Is there ever a time where everyone doesn't just immediately summon their greater demon?
>>
File: livfro.png (8 KB, 619x279) Image search: [Google]
livfro.png
8 KB, 619x279
Guy trying to buy Eldritch Horror here, guy that sent me the french links if you're still here I need a bit of help. On the step where you choose the shipping you would like and whatever, it says "Cueillette" and Standard Shipping. Now its pretty obvious that Standard Shipping is well, standard shipping but what does Cueillette mean? Like I know it means pick up, but pick up from where? I'm assuming it means from one of their stores, so that is a no go for me, but I'm just asking in case it isn't what I think it is.
>>
>>44570771
>make an OP image that's readable from the catalog? hard as fuck to find bgg these days
Why not use the search field and type three letters instead of scrolling through all the thumbnails?

>>44570921
>One friend is annoyed at me because she used to really like the game, asked me why I don't, and got an explanation, and now she hates it too.
This amuses me. Losing enjoyment of something just because someone points out something you weren't paying attention to is pretty frustrating, though. Ignorance is bliss and all that. That said, I found that game devoid of interest as well. Felt like rolling dice for a half hour for setup, followed by 15 minutes of actual gameplay.

>>44572029
>Is there ever a time where everyone doesn't just immediately summon their greater demon?
Played my second game last night, with 2 first-timers, and only one of us used his greater demon - on the last turn, and it did nothing except convince the other player's cultists to flee.
>>
What's a good game for economists? I'm currently taking a course dealing with game theory and I'd love to pick up a game that incorporates that kind of thinking.

Or I'm just completely oblivious and the answer to my question is "every game".
>>
>>44572384
It would help to know where you're ordering. Infini-Jeux is located in Quebec City. Espace Jeux has a few places around the province you can pick your orders from. I'd have to look up any others.
>>
>>44572419
I know one of my friends who's in finance has enjoyed Power Grid for its bidding shenanigans. That's about all I can tell you, though. He's also told me about the Pillars of the Earth board game, but I don't remember how much economy goes into that.
>>
>>44572442
Alright well if its only in Quebec then that's impossible for me. I live in Nova Scotia.
I guess 12$ isn't THAT much more, way more reasonable than some of the other shipping costs I've been seeing at least.

I think I'll bookmark that site and look around a bit more for the next few days and see if I find anything.
>>
>>44572029

I'm by no means an expert at the game, but I'm pretty sure getting ready to jump into combat is not something anyone but khorne want to do, especially when dealing with khorne.
>>
>>44570554
>>Ever had a tfg/that guy/insufferable twat end up playing with you?
Role-playing games? Yes. Board games? Not that I can remember. I only game with good friends and family, and although some of the latter aren't the best, I don't find them quite awful either.

>>What is your absolute least favorite board game (for the time being, of all time is silly because things change)?
I assume we're skipping over things like Snakes & Ladders or Candy Land. Bang! the dice game bored me like few games have ever done. Zombie Dice was only marginally better (perhaps because it has no pretense of strategy).

>>Least favorite board game company?
I don't really care who makes a game as long as it's fun to play, fairly priced and has decent production value. For good measure, let's say any company that keeps making pointless new editions of mass-produced games.

>>Least favorite board game mechanic?
Drafting when it's the core of the game. Rolling dice to determine how much you get to do in a turn (I'm fine with rolling for effectiveness).
>>

We had this one guy that despite being nice, groomed and well spoken was abysmal to play with.
This guy could not for the life of him keep track of rules. Not the "I've had 4 beers and can't remember my upkeep".
No, this guy would, completely sober, forget the scoring rules for Dixit between his turns.
I played Steam with this guy three times. Every time, EVERY turn he would have to be reminded of what he could do. There is only so many times you can say "Place some railroads or place some goods" before one wants to commit sudoku.
Of course he had no idea about his syndrome either. If Terra Mystica was up he'd leg it to get a chance to play.

Fucking carcassone, it's worse than Monopoly. At least in Monopoly everyone knows the game is trash and just play it for nostalgia or whatever.
Carcassone on the other hand works well as a gateway game, a friendly game for non-gamers.. That is, until you realise the best way to score is to steal others cities.
Want to never play games with your candy crush girlfriend again? Plop out Carcassone and steal her biggest city five tiles before the game ends.

Might not be a mechanic per sé but any game that allows crowning whilst making player score really obvious.
It always goes the same way: After a few games the best player gets pummeled into submission at the start by default; the one that takes the lead gets held back and finally victory is granted to someone that played like crap but got the final mcguffin through dumb luck as anyone who planned for it got blocked.
>>
>>44574017

>commit sudoku

You. I like you.
>>
Games I have yet to play:

>Suburpia
>Keyflower
>Thunderstone Advanced
>Mysterium (Ukranian version)

Plus I have lots of others I like a lot but haven't hit the table in ages, and old stand bys that get played a lot.

What should my order of play be?
>>
>>44574453

Really can't say order wise, but I really enjoyed suburbia, and Thunderstone is tied with Nightfall as my favorite deckbuilder.
>>
The local board game club has one guy who no one ever wants to play with. He's a fat, hairy, middle aged man who can't dress himself properly or cut his hair even though he's balding. He can never remember any rules for any game more complicated than tic tac toe and speaks at maximum volume all the time. He doesn't pull any crazy antics because this is real life and if he did he would be kicked out, but everyone tries to avoid being stuck in a game with him.

Mmmmmm, trivia pursuit if only because no one ever owns a current copy and fucked if I know who the president of another country was 30 years ago.

Anyone who price fixes or kickstarts with exclusives that effect gameplay

dunno, roll to move maybe? It's not really much of a problem any more.

ok.

>>44570772
pretty fun, my friend has gates of arkham which made it much more of a fun and challenging game for our group.

>>44572409
because some people use phones, and others like to look for any thread they might want to read / contribute too.
>>

Unfortunately, he's my best friend, and the friend most reliably up for playing board games. It's hard to get enough players together, so I often have to include him.

Munchkin

The guys who make Cards Against Humanity

Bidding
>>
No I only really play with my group of friends
Arkham Asylum
Plaid Hat, they have some good ones and a lot of duds
Cards that do a thing and then another card that blocks it

I like Tamanny Hall
>>
>Least favorite board game
Probably Ingenious.

Steve Jackson Games. For giving us Munchkin

Deckbuilding.

Now to be positive. Picked up Isle of Skye, and I'm pretty happy with it. I love tile placement games, I like bidding mechanics. This is a Carcassonne killer for me, and will be hitting the table as a gateway test soon.
>>
>>44570554
>that guy
Yes. I stopped going to one of my meetups mostly to avoid him. Other than him, there are a couple other guys who, on first impression, appeared to be "that guys," but I later learned to appreciate them. Everyone else is super nice, or at least entertaining
>least favorite
>game
A couple months ago I played one called Five Fingered Severance. Never do this. Other ones to avoid are Pass the Bomb, Tomorrow, and Battle of the Bands. You may never actually come across these games, but if you do steer clear.
>publisher
Only publisher I've felt personally wronged by was Rio Grande, but that was just one purchase out of many and I got over it pretty quickly. Most of the others I'd mention aren't worth wasting breath over. Maybe an easy target, but Hasbro?

I hated on Queen during the Kingdom Builder controversy, but seems as though they made things good with Donald X. Probably time to let them off the hook (and I was gifted two of their games last month, they're pretty good).
>mechanic
Dice combat. Don't mind deterministic/card combat, I don't even mind one roll per turn, but rolling to attack, then defend, then using a special ability/reroll, then repeat 3-30 times on a single turn? Fuck that

To this guy >>44561357 asking about this >>44559840 in the last thread
It's a push your luck game with an auction-style dungeon-building mechanic. Every round has a phase where players take turns adding monsters or taking away items from the adventurer's kit. They go around like that, making it harder for the adventurer, until all but one of the players pass. That player becomes the adventurer, and he/she has to beat all of the monsters in the dungeon with whatever items/weapons/armor that's left. I easily taught it to the older guy who doesn't understand most games, and yet I was personally satisfied with how varied my options were, and how different strategies developed throughout the game
>>
>>44574803
>disliking the CaH guys

Is this because of the game or the people who play it. There's a huge difference.

>company sells a silly holiday program where they send you a number of small gifts in the mail
>this year, they use some of the money generated to purchase the cost of running their printing company in china for a whole week in order to give all the workers a paid vacation, as no such vacation protocol currently exist
>For the day 6 gift, they send you a package full of letters and notes from the people enjoying a paid week off with their families

How can you hate them anon.
>>
>>44575386

I dislike them for making a shitty game that shitty people like.
>>
>>44575421

Ah. Sorry to hear that.
>>
>>44575473

Well also for it being all they do rather than, say, try to make a better game with the profits.
>>
>>44570554
Where are you even getting these images
>>
>>44575512

Seriously speaking, why? A lot of people buy it and enjoy it, and they release expansions that people also buy and enjoy. Even other companies make unofficial expansions that people buy and integrate into the official game, and enjoy even still.

Also, take it for what it is, a filthy joke generator. There's not exactly many places you can go with that. Honestly I suspect they might wrap it up soon though, last year was the last holiday special they'll ever do.

It's perfectly fine that you don't like them btw. Not even judging.

>>44575524

5 minutes of google, 3 minutes of photoshop
>>
>>44572419
Acquire (classic economic stock-buying game)
Archipelago (multiple markets and game theory-like mutual lose condition)
For Sale (basic auction game)
Power Grid (more complex auction game)
18XX (a well-regarded series of very complex economic games modeled on railroad companies in the 19th century)

The two most popular industries to model in economic games are real estate and rail, but there are others. For example, Fast Food Magnate is a recent addition to the genre that sees a lot of praise for its in-depth systems (and a lot of flack for looking like shit)
>>
Have any of you played Kingdom Death Monster? Is it worth 400 fucking dollars?
>>
>>44575950

I think you're supposed to think of it as "are the models worth the money", because as far as I understand it's what amounts to simple combat and a shit ton of charts.
>>
>>44575950
I'd love to play it but I'm pretty sure it's not worth $400.

>>44575972
>I think you're supposed to think of it as "are the models worth the money"
The models look well-made, but I don't buy games to look at figurines. A cheaper alternative would be nice. Having just basic minis for the players would probably cut the cost a bunch instead of having a hundred tiny parts you have to assemble.
>>
>>44574729
>because some people use phones
There's a search/find in page thing I think.

>>44570921
>Betrayal
I hope I can play it again atleast once this year, it'd be the first time I'd have played it since being exposed to negative opinions about it. I'm curious to see if my own opinion of it has changed.
>>
File: monopoly.jpg (63 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
monopoly.jpg
63 KB, 570x428
How do we fix it?
>>
>>44576088

I decided to actually look up what comes in the core box.

11 minis, a little over 1k cards, some dice, rulebook, and some other minor stuff.

Personally, no, I do not feel like that justifies the price tag in the slightest. It is a bunch of stuff, and I do love me some random variables, but I would never pay over maybe 150 for that, and it better be an amazing game, which so far I've not heard anything of the sort. I've heard it's fun, and it's interesting, but it's not earth shakingly magnificent.
>>
>>44576265
The search field works just fine on phones too.

>>44576335
The persistence (evolutions, character deaths), grittiness/difficulty and crafting/set collection turn me on real hard, but back during the KS my friends told me "We might as well play an actual RPG."

It's hard to argue with that, except for the fact we're not playing a campaign either so I'm left without any form of role-playing.
>>
File: Dokapon_Kingdom_cover.jpg (141 KB, 300x423) Image search: [Google]
Dokapon_Kingdom_cover.jpg
141 KB, 300x423
>>44576268
add an rpg element with more pvp
>>
>>44576527

Feel the same way about mansions of madness desu. Except in that case I'd rather have fun exploring and getting maybe rekked in combat as opposed to slogging around a board hoping a stack of cards isn't made wrong and hoping the GM doesn't get a hateboner and destroy us.
>>
>>44570871
Correct me if I'm wrong - but weren't you bitching about the ones with text too?

> pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>>44570921
>Beats me.
>http://pastebin.com/PAGxLuN6

That's the older original one I created, but the newer link has some more links to online retailers outside of Murica...

>>44576268
Create a proper game?
>>
>>44576644

Negatory. I only bitched about the ones that showed some dudes face and nothing else, which made locating the thread a pain in the ass, and might also explain why they were falling off the board after maybe 100 replies.
>>
>>44574886
>Picked up Isle of Skye, and I'm pretty happy with it.
Great... Now another game I'll have to look up and probably like... Damnit! ;)

>>44575228
>I played one called Five Fingered Severance. Never do this.
This game was so bad, IIRC the publisher was basically trying to all but give away copies. It's gotten quite the reputation as being totally crap-tacular.>

>44576335
>a little over 1k cards
WTF? Is it a deck builder with minis?
>>
>>44576741

According to BGG...

Contents:

223 Page Rulebook
2' x 3' Matte Coated Game Board
31 Terrain Tiles
4 Hit Location Dice
5 Black Dice and 1 White Dice
30 Innovation Cards
339 Gear Cards
13 Settlement Location Cards
1 Character Sheet Pad
1 Settlement Record Pad
21 Settlement Event Cards
4 Gear Grids
1 Monster Control Panel
1 Token Sheet
1 Hunt/Settlement Reversible Board
18 Main Card Deck Dividers
13 Gear Card Deck Dividers
632 Main Cards (AI, Hit Location, Resources, Fighting Arts, Disorders, Weapon Specialization, etc.)
4 Starting Survivor miniatures
7 Armor Kits: unarmoured, rawhide, lion, leather, phoenix, lantern, fur. Each kit is two female and two male models with interchangeable parts.
7 Monsters - Lion, Phoenix, Antelope, Butcher, Kingsmen, Kings Hand, Watcher
>>
>>44576683
Gotcha. I did a bunch with general's heads, but they all have Board Games General in big letters so you can see them easily in the catalog. (Plus the odd typo - Damnit Stalin!) :)
>>
>>44576335
In KD:M's defense, there's plenty of random events that can be generated (atleast 100 I think), unique monster AI decks (which can get harder if the monster is a higher level), hundreds of ways of combining the armor you can craft due to the 'arrange armor pieces and accessories in a certain way to get an effect', and then there's the whole experience of creating a village and watching the sons die before the father while the mother dies to some plant on a hunt and all that. Making all of that probably adds a good bit to the price tag.

Despite that though, even I don't think it's worth $400, especially when you can buy <=10 games of similar quality and probably get more plays out of. Hopefully developers take notice of the more interesting mechanics and use them to make cheaper, hopefully better games with them. Other than the AI deck, it's also probably one of the few games that has 'Tales of the Arabian Nights' style random event generation.
>>
>>44576268
Why not just start from scratch making an economic game with modern game design sensibilities? And when you're done, don't bother attaching an old, tired IP that's been dragged through the mud. Give it a new name and original art instead
>>
File: pic1683693_lg.jpg (229 KB, 1024x403) Image search: [Google]
pic1683693_lg.jpg
229 KB, 1024x403
>>44576762
That's a metric butt-load of cards. My copy of Xenoshyft weighs a ton. I can't image having to cart around all those sleeved cards and minis, etc. (Though I shouldn't say anything considering I bought the Designers Edition of OGRE and the damn box includes a pic of 2 people lifting it between them since the box weighs 28 lbs.)
>>
>>44576803

Bethesda needs to contract FFG to make a clone in the fallout universe.
>>
>>44576828

>Friend buys dev kit
>opens it up, sees slip of paper
>DO NOT PUNCH EVERYTHING OUT IMMEDIATELY, THAT WAY LIES MADNESS
>He punches everything out immediately, instantly regretting it
>This was a year ago, never played it once
>It's what he deserves
>>
File: Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg (59 KB, 397x543) Image search: [Google]
Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg
59 KB, 397x543
>>44576803
>AI decks

Speaking of AI in games, does anyone have games with rule / AI controlled opponents that they really like or find challenging due to the logical way the 'opponent' plays?

I picked up a reasonably priced (mint un-punched no less) copy of pic related that is supposed to have really good 'AI' for the German forces and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I like the AI in Gears of War, but it's somewhat limited and never really surprises you. The KS for Nemo (another solo game like pic related) also sound interesting to me.
>>
>>44570554
Nothing really bad enough worth mentioning, mostly just small things that annoy me that are more pet peeve than an actual problem.
Epic, for sure. Taking the things I like most out of mtg leaves a pile of cardboard sadness behind.
WotC for the same reasons as Steev. Also, Upper Deck because having to organize Legendary is a pain when you first open it.
Don't know what to call it, but in Senji the person in the lead at the beginning of the turn controls the order of every action throughout the whole turn. If you're not in front, the game is significantly less interesting, which is pretty poor design.
It's a shame because I like some ideas the game has, but that is the primary thing that kills it for me.
>>
File: ogre-tabletop-boardgame_7.jpg (65 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
ogre-tabletop-boardgame_7.jpg
65 KB, 600x338
>>44576881
>>DO NOT PUNCH EVERYTHING OUT IMMEDIATELY, THAT WAY LIES MADNESS
>>He punches everything out immediately, instantly regretting it

Heh! I punched out everything, have snagged all the add-on / expansion sets, and have one hell of good time on the rare occasions when I get to play it. (And infantry dug-in in city hexes should be Nuked without mercy, and then burned! Stubborn pricks...)
>>
>>44571635
Here is your (you).
Fuck, I haven't had twilight struggle be shipped yet, nor have I had the chance to play it, and I'm still salty.
>>
>>44572029
Immediately summoning a greater demkn turn one is terrible. It means if khorne kills a.single one of your cultists, you likely are not getting a dial advancement that turn, or are not playing any chaos cards to fend off khorne or get points/other shenanigans. Get cultists, get points and dial advancement tokens, and limit the amount of battles khorne gets to trigger.

Containing the big red broh is key. Fucking with everyone else to ensure you win first comes after that.
>>
>>44571635
Cult of the new: the game
>>
Just letting y'all know if you've bought stuff from BGG tikibro from Hawaii-
My package has hit conus as of 3rd Jan in Cali, so it's only a matter of time now
GET HYPE
>>
>Assault on Doomrock KS showed up today
>did the unboxing and sorting, read the rules
>sat down to play a solo game
>won it on the first try
Huh. And they said that game was hard.

It probably is when you don't get a gamebreaking combo on your first level up...
>>
>>44578842
I would have liked to demo this to my extended family over the holidays, they'd probably enjoy the style and we tend to play coops together. We'll have to make another occasion happen I guess. It should get here this month.
>>
>>44579050
It's really solid, the expansion adds so incredibly much. Terrain is fantastic, and ultimately what made the last fight as easy as it was. I had the Evil Goat and the Step Stool as my random terrains, both of which are traps that inflict expose and can be used offensively to chuck more expose everywhere. Combine that with copious push effects and other effects that key off expose and it was just disgusting.
>>
>>44574017
I love cutthroat Carc. Cities are smalltime and not worth stealing most of the time, just block them so they can't be scored. Steal large fields, everyone will hate you.
>>
Friend's girlfriend always cheats, gets salty when people call her out on it, introduces drama because *other people* get salty when she gets lucky - they don't know if it's luck or did she arrange the cards again.

I think she singlehandedly increases the playing time of a game by 30 minutes to 1hr.
Munchkin I guess. First time I played it it seemed fun and seemed like a good buy to get into board games. First time we played it with the current group was also pretty neat. But after that it just goes downhill.
N/A

(1/2)
>>
Dice. I wrote about it in the previous thread, reworded a bit (as a side note I really wish that old threads were quoted in the first post)

I find the randomness from dice "cheap". Cards are also random but they give you some strategic choice and you know you're getting all of your cards at some point in time.

When you roll dice that's it, there's no choice. You can have arbitrarily long runs of bad/good rolls. This isn't possible with cards because you the deck is finite and the randomness is harnessed.

In some games having those bad/good runs in critical times of the game will ruin the experience even though the dice are "fair" statistically speaking.

I really wish we'd talk more about 4X that aren't in space, or economic games.
>>
File: 1263_firefly_board_game_setup.jpg (124 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
1263_firefly_board_game_setup.jpg
124 KB, 600x456
I have $60.00 leftover credit at the university bookstore, should I get the Firefly boardgame?
>>
>>44581353
Do you like the show?
>>
>>44581472
Yes!
>>
>>44572419
Wealth of Nations, if you can find it. Resources are required for things like feeding, powering, and placing tiles, and there's a market for each of the resources with fluctuating costs tracked similar to Power Grid's resource system.
>>
>>44581154
>I really wish we'd talk more about 4X that aren't in space, or economic games.

Oddly there aren't a lot of non-space based 4x games that I can think of off the top of my head. Even Scythe for example isn't really 4x. And as for Economic games, it's a theme that most folks don't seem to find very appealing as a game. Puerto Rico comes to mind, or say 'Glass Road', but true economic games like Acquire are few and far between over the years.
>>
File: puerto rico 02.jpg (99 KB, 500x409) Image search: [Google]
puerto rico 02.jpg
99 KB, 500x409
>>44572419
>What's a good game for economists?

In addition to the the other good suggestions like Archipelago and Acquire, I'd throw in a pointer to Puerto Rico which involves building your own economic engine in the form of a plantation.
>>
>>44571635
Adding a campaign to a badly designed game doesn't make it number 1.
>>
>>44581483
Than you'll probably enjoy the game, especially if you get the expansion that adds 2 more reaver ships which makes the game a lot more fun.
>>
>>44572029
Khorne - Greater Daemon to Empire
Nurgle - free card or cultist to Estalia/Tilea (whichever is populous)
Tzeentch - free card
Slaanesh - free card or a cultist in an area with noble/without noble if the noble can be moved
>>
>44570554
No, our group is pretty careful about who we "let in" so to speak.

Of the games our group has that also has any chance of being played, probably Race for the Galaxy.

N/A.

None in specific. Some mechanics can really be annoying depending on the game.

Wargames and abstract games in general, I suppose? I've begun playing a couple wargames recently, and looking more into the genre there's some pretty interesting stuff to be found. Also some pretty high-level autism stuff as well.
>>
>>44570554
Yo /bgg/ what's a good cheap boardgame? What are your experiences in Board Game Cafes? (You know, those cafes with well, board games)
>>
>>44581483
Also definitely get the pirates & bounty hunters expansion, if only for the non- firefly ships and the PvP gamemode.
>>
>>44581958
>Yo /bgg/ what's a good cheap boardgame?
Hanabi, Bohnanza or Sushi Go.
>>
>>44581154
>I really wish we'd talk more about 4X that aren't in space, or economic games.
Are there any that not irreally long like Civilization: The Board Game?
>>
File: jqm.jpg (104 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jqm.jpg
104 KB, 1280x720
What's your opinion on Jamaica ?
>>
>>44581958
>What are your experiences in Board Game Cafes? (You know, those cafes with well, board games)
Every time I went to one, I sat down with my friends, played our game and then left. I really don't know what your expectations are, they are exactly what their names imply.

Oh, the one in Berkeley gives you a single card from different games on a standee to mark your table for food orders. They tried giving me a card from Munchkin, the cheeky cunts.
>>
>>44582055
Fun but too long for its randomness. Good with nongamers, though.
>>44582040
Runewars is a cool non-space 4X game. Pretty much TI3 without the most boring aspect - politics phase.
>>
>>44574017
>>44579412
This. Cities are short term, planning for the farming scoring at the end is how you crush people.
>>
>>44582291
To be fair if you never complete any city your field won't be worth much in the end.
>>
>>44582380
You can personally complete 0 cities and still score plenty of points in the end.
>>
>>44582391
yes but you don't really have an interest in blocking cities in your own field, you even have interest in completing them for that matter.
>>
>>44582529
Not necessarily, you have interest completing cities you score off and small cities. You don't want your opponent to score 12 points if you only score 3.
>>
>>44570554
A guy who basically always wants to play the games he has and doesn't want to play games that others have. He even tells how shitty the other games are. Sometimes he doesnt even pay attention to the game, just tells shitty jokes all the time.
Zombicide. Played that game twice, never again, I swear. I am open to play a lot of games, and I don't particularly dislike any of them except for this. Shit I can't even comprehend how a game like this is even successful.
Games Workshop if it fits here. No need to explain.
Dice and too much randomness. Dice is a fine mechanic until its not abused, and its not a game decider. For example I had no chance with khorne in chaos in the old world, because I couldn't roll bloody 4+s.
>>
>>44575950
I have.

It's pretty epic actually. More like a small scale-ish dnd campaign or something. You have character sheets for every guy you use and you have a pool of dudes you can use, pretty much endlessly variable. A whole campaign takes...many many hours. With all the Innovations/Settlement/Story events there's literally unlimited number of ways the game plays.

I've done the tutorial fight with two different groups to show it off. First fight one guy got mauled and after being knocked down had the lion chew on his face. He lost a eye, broke his back, got his arm and leg messed up but lived.
Next fight two guys got decapitated in the opening moves but we still managed to pull through and got enough resources for a Bow, Spear and Sword.

The minis are about of par with GW stuff. although I gotta say, the Phoenix is huge and is probably a $100 mini on it's own. The wings in particular are ridiculously massive and are solid plastic.
>>
>>44581893

What about Horned Rat
>>
>>44582835

>zombicide hate

I imagine because it's pretty big on dice rolling? I've got it, it's fun enough and more importantly very easy to teach. I think my biggest complaint is that it feels like you split up and die, or group up and stomp the game. The expansions and variant zombies really made it better though. Fookin zombie dogs.

I will say zombivore or whatever (you get a second like, play as a zombie, improved health) was a shitty idea and I never allow it or acknowledge that I'm aware of it.
>>
>>44583093
we played the first mission and it took like fucking forever, like 5-6 hours and im not even joking. We were basically going round and round collecting fucking tins of food and then doing the same stuff over and over again.
>>
>>44582987
Play a cheap card.
>>
>>44581669

For me even that is good discussion. I mean what does Twilight Imperium have that Archipelago, Scythe or Runewars lack?
>>
>>44583142

Hmm, sounds like something was wrong or the people weren't paying attention. I teach people with the food gathering mission, and it's maybe a 2 hour ordeal, 3 possibly and that's if we're playing it with excessive banter.

A single mission should never take 5 hours to play.
>>
>>44583234
>Archipelago, Runewars
Politics
>Scythe
It exists.
>>
>>44583304
I don't find either to be mandatory in a 4X game.
>>
>>44583455
A game generally needs to exist to be 4X.
>>
>>44583486

Err what I meant is that I don't find politics mandatory for a 4X game.
>>
We have a guy who comes to all the local meetups who borders on That Guy - I've talked about him before, but basically he plays to win and is incapable of understanding why anybody would just want to play for fun... and yet there's no malice in him whatsoever. I just die a little inside whenever I play with him, because he HAS to have things the way he enjoys them - four players ONLY for Love Letter, never play co-ops on the easiest difficulty even when explaining them to absolute newcomers to the hobby, etc.
I'm getting pretty sick of Cards Against Humanity - people act like it's a cute little filler, when in fact it's a fucking nightmare if you play it with more than six people
I'm not big into company wars - bought Flash Point because I enjoyed playing it, but I feel kinda bad now after I learnt that Indie Board & Card Games are apparently a bunch of douchenozzles, I guess.
Bidding mechanics, but that's more because I always overspend, so I guess that's more on me.
I'd say 3DTotal Games, but I assume you mean BAD games/companies
>>
>>44583234
>I mean what does Twilight Imperium have that Archipelago, Scythe or Runewars lack?

I think you missed the point of the original Anon's question (Space 4x games and economic games). TI3 is a 'grand strategy' game and not a 'space 4x' game nor an 'economic' game. Scythe is not a true 4x game as it lacks both exploration (the map is already laid out) and player elimination (extinction).
>>
How do you all feel about randomized pack distribution for card games?

I've been playing mtg for years and found a format I finally loved (Commander) and the thought made me want to ask you guys.
>>
>>44583675
Booster packs work for limited formats like booster draft, but you are far better off buying singles simply because you can get what you want and boosters are almost designed so you don't get that.
>>
>>44583670

I'm the original anon. Sorry, haven't played TI3 but I thought that it's a typical representative of 4x in boardgame form. Like Archipelago or Runewars.

Fair enough re scythe, not a real 4x game then.
>>
File: troopahz.jpg (34 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
troopahz.jpg
34 KB, 500x200
>Remember old starship troopers movie skirmish boardgame.
>Look it up, long out of print, of course.
>Check BGG marketplace, around $60-80 for good/new condition, not bad.
>Let's check Ebay
>$289
What the hell?
>>
>>44583675
Everyone not saddled with some serious mental issues has problems with randomized pack distribution and the baggage it normally carries. Asking customers to buy a product without knowing what it is they're buying, and compromising the balance of your game for the sake of generating tiers of card rarity in order to drive more purchases is a shit practice no matter how you look at it.

I pray the LCG model is going to spell the death of the CCG within the next decade, but stockholm syndrome stronk.
>>
>>44583869
Tripfag speaks the truth

When I was 8 everyone (seriously, EVERYONE) at school was collecting the TMNT sticker album by Panini, and at one point, some 15 kids were down to the last, rare-as-fuck sticker, going all over school bribing, threatening, or promising whatever it took to all the rest of us so we'd go straight to one of em in case the fucking holy grail appeared in a packet.

But I'm a dip, so I got into MtG in highschool, never realizing it was the exact same shit, except more expensive, plus you needed 4 of each to make a deck work.
>>
>>44583869

AMEN

I think cards having an in-game cost or points is legit for deck building reasons but tying that up to real prices is insane. It's Buy Your Victory: The Game. And I'm speaking as a former m:tg player.
>>
>>44576828
28 lbs? What the hell...
>>
Gonna play TI3 with all expansions against a friend were we play 2 civilizations each. What's a funny combo to play? We've banned Yssaril.
>>
>>44584595
OGRE is serious fucking business.
>>
A few. I either excuse myself before I lose it (anger issues, rather not get into it) or tell them to cut the shit.
Right now? Arcadia Quest. If only because I KS'd it but have yet to get anyone to play with me. People tend to be put off by the aesthetics.
Ehhhh probably Soda Pop. No too keen of their designs
I can't actually think of one. I'm pretty cruisey with everything. I dislike secret missions though.

Flying Frog Productions. I never hear anyone talk about these guys
>>
>>44584604
>Banning Yssaril
I was going to call you pussies, but in a 1v1 it's harder for the table to crowd them.
Could go Nekro/L1Z1X, thematic and potentially pretty strong, especially if you're using two-dice dreads.
>>
>>44584630
Sounds pretty solid. Though allies will be at opposite sides, so cant really feed nekro with l1z1x tech. We've also agreed on hacan/mentak combo is just too OP.
>>
>>44576967
How an AI work in a board game?
>>
Contemplating backing Punimals just so I can get a copy of Jazz the Singing Card Game and Them's Fighting Words. Punimals itself is kind of... meh, though. Should I hold back and wait for used copies of the two games to pop up instead, or are they good enough that I should go ahead and get it?

Mind that I'm not within US/Europe, so shipping would probably cost more than the games themselves if ordering from overseas online stores.
>>
>>44576881
What do you mean by punch
>>
>>44570554 (OP)
I'm trying to made up a home\4chan\whatever version of Dixit, so if you have some picture that fit with the game mood post as response, if we accomplish a minimum number of card i'm going to make a archive with the deck.
Only 3 rules:
1)Hig Res pict
2)Blurry and ambiguos content
3)Drawing only no photo
My picture is demostrative of the mood of game, if you don't know it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixit_(card_game)
>>
>>44584736
Not exactly an AI, rather an algorythm worked into a deck of cards or some other medium to dictate the non-player-driven mechanics of the game.

Take Pandemic for example
>Game starts, random draws from deck determine which cities are initially infected and how badly
>Difficulty and spread of infection are driven by drawing Epidemic cards inserted in semi-random distribution deck,
>More city cards are drawn after Epidemics, speeding up infection
>Cycling deck, reshuffled after Epidemics results in random cities getting reinfected
>Infection must be managed, increases level every time the city's card is drawn
>lv 3 infection in a city may lead to an outbreak --infection spreads to neighboring cities-- if/when the city's card is drawn again
>Game end triggered by running out of infection cubes of any color, 8 outbreaks happen, player deck runs out or all diseases are cured
>>
>>44583723
I can see where you'd make the mistake with TI3. For true 4x, you're looking at Space Empires 4x, Eclipse, Hegemonic, Exodus, and a few others. I don't know about Rune Wars, haven't played it myself.
>>
>>44583723
>Fair enough re scythe, not a real 4x game then.

Oddly enough, the game designers pitched it as a 4x game on their KS, but reading the description made it pretty clear that it wasn't really 4x. And there are games like Quantum that are 3x - but not 4x.

>>44583819
Heh! I've got my old Avalon Hill copy of Starship Troopers from 1976. The advance scenarios get ugly with underground tunnels, nerve gas, and nukes.
>>
>>44584608
I guess it's nice when you can kill a that guy with the fully loaded box...
>>
File: IMG_1447.jpg (2 MB, 2812x1841) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1447.jpg
2 MB, 2812x1841
>>44584776
Where you push out the cardboard pieces in boards like this.
>>
>>44584776
Punching cardboard, like in vid related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46R8BG6dkFM
>>
>>44585171
Thanks!
>>
>>44582055
All I can remember about it (played once two years ago) is that it was a roll and move game. Maybe there's more to it, but I don't remember it.
>>
>>44585868
>>44585868
Yeah that's obvious...
>>
>>44584826

Sure thing anon, I'll see what I can whip up. Always fun having a reason to tinker with photoshop. At work now though, gotta wait til I get home.
>>
>>44586035
I don't know that I'd call it a roll and move in the strictest sense. One roll of two die is made in per round and all players use that roll to determine how far they move or how many resouces the gather on their turn depending on the card they choose to play (move -move, move- plunder, plunder -move. Hunt-move, etc.)
>>
>>44570921
Wh.. what's wrong with betrayal? I got that for Xmas and love it when I have enough people.....
>>
>>44587309
I personally find it just fine if people want to play it. It's more of an 'experience' than it is a 'game'.

You bumble around, getting items and having things happen and exploring rooms until an enexpected, random event happens that triggers the haunt. Then an effectively random person becomes the big bad and depending on the scenario has a snowballs chance in hell of losing/winning.

I find it kind fun and thematic but wouldn't play it often, but a lot of people hate it because half the game is randomly bumping around exploring random tiles that give you randoms things until a random person triggers a random haunt and then wraps up the game.

But I still find it fun because having everything turn on its head in a thematic way is entertaining.
>>
>>44587309
Anon summed it up pretty well.
>draw random tiles to build random house
>draw random loot as you move - effectively - at random
>randomly, haunt begins
>random player turns to random page to become random baddie
>Have you randomly drawn the random mcguffin / room / character needed to stop the random baddie? gg no re!
Like anon said, it can be fun with the right people, but the "game" might as well be playing itself for all the real player input it has. More a vaguely interactive cardboard movie than a game. Which is cool, sure, but analyzed as a game, it's pretty empty.
>>
>>44587399
We'll they can fucking cry more about the random shit. Every dice-based board game is random. I guess the game just isn't for elitists. Not attacking you who I'm replying to, just saying those complaints sound retarded.
>>
>>44587521
Allow me to jump in, start an argument and stop caring by the time I hit "Post."

The problem isn't randomness itself, it's that there's nothing the players do that is based on logic or strategy until the reveal. And then, as STEEV said, winning and losing is mostly dependent on still more randomness.

None of the things you do are motivated by any sort of reason. Every player move could be randomly determined by a program and have the same effectiveness. Until the bad guy is revealed, at which point whatever you need to do is so obvious that it still doesn't feel like you're deciding anything (unless you choose to play badly). You just hope to get good rolls or lucky draws.

You could use a video game to randomly generate a dungeon, then watch an AI run through it following a preset algorithm, and the experience would be about the same. You're just waiting to see whether the AI gets lucky or not.
>>
>>44587638
I understand the point. I'll continue enjoying it until I run out of scenarios. I am the kind of person who likes telltale, heavy rain, until dawn, and beyond two souls type video games. Granted those seem more interactive I feel they're similar, especially telltale games where the endings are always the fucking same.
>>
>>44587673

I'm with you anon. Some folks just hate variables, and so they tend to play games with as little of that as possible, and enjoy such games. Others embrace the random nature of things, and have no problems with it. They also enjoy their own games.

I find random unpredictable things glorious, because I gain little joy in dealing with things when I already know how they will turn out.
>>
>>44587792
For me, at least, its lt's not so much the presence of significant unpredictability, but the lack of any reason to put much thought into the decisions you have. The only low/no randomness games I enjoy still maintain suspense via significant amounts of hidden infomation, such as Rex.
>>
>>44588033

>Rex

I keep meaning to try this, but nobody has it. Also, interest might sound contradictory, but I'll try anything at least once, and from what scant I recall, Rex was a heavy game, so I'll have plenty to take in before I reach an opinion, as opposed to say ticket to ride, where the first five minutes mimic the last fifty, or however long the game takes.
>>
>>44588033
Yeah, even a pure dice-rolling game like Zombie Dice makes you question the probability of your next rolls and the risk/reward of gambling them. You're at the mercy of luck, but you can at least make educated guesses. In Betrayal, you spend most of the game not even knowing what your end goal is. You just roam aimlessly.

It could be a prompt for a role-playing session, but as a game in and of itself it has so little player agency.
>>
>>44588238
>ttr
Ugh.
To be fair though, I've only played the USA map, which seems to be generally reviled as colossally boring.
Rex isn't that heavy, I'd say it's about as easy to teach as Kemet, but it's longer, and less flexible with playercount.
>>
>>44587309
I love Betrayal myself, but I'll stick my oar and point out that it's quite possible to play through the same scenario twice - it happened to me - which does put a damper on the immersion the game can provide. On one occasion, I was the traitor and drew exactly the tile I needed on my next go, quickly slaughtering everyone else.
>>44588286
To be fair, the USA map is the most newb-friendly of the TTR maps. Every other map in the series adds a little bit extra
>>
>>44584595
>>44576828
The entire De Vermis Mysteriis pledge for Cthulhu Wars weighs 60 pounds not counting the base game.

The Mysteries of the Worm pledge from the new Kickstarter will probably clock in close to 100 pounds.
>>
>>44584826
>smug anime girls: the game
>>
>>44588033
>The only low/no randomness games I enjoy still maintain suspense via significant amounts of hidden infomation
Give Triumph&Tragedy a try some time!
>>
>>44588592
>Go BGG
>Go reviews
>Only review is titled Hearts of Iron: The Boardgame
Sold. I need a good 3p.
>>
>As always normal non salty discourse of board games/deckbuilders/etc is welcome here
>deckbuilders
So Ashes of the Phoenixborn is cool here, then? I sure hope so, because I have a rules question that Google couldn't figure out for me. Hopefully, someone here can help me out.
So one character, Jessa, can put units on another player's battlefield. If Jessa then gets horribly bodied, do the units under control of other players leave too?
>>
>>44589063
We're cool with pretty much anything that doesn't get it's own threads daily.
Ashes isn't a deckbuilder though.
As for your question, we've always played that units under other player's control stay.
>>
>>44589154
>Ashes isn't a deckbuilder though.
Oh. Whoops.
Yeah, we reached a similar conclusion but the three of us play a lot of MtG and that made things complicated.
>>
>>44588768
Yeah, a friend of mine is a huge HoI fan and he really likes T&T. It's actually my first wargame, and I'm liking it a lot. The whole blocks as fog of war system is neat, the way the cards have multiple uses really makes some decisions difficult, and watching an opponents units die off when you manage to cut off their supply is immensely satisfying. Just don't forget to also get the rules errata! Oh, and uh, be aware that the mapboard is NOT mounted. I'd prefer a mounted board but whatever, the game is still brilliant.
>>
>>44589186
Deckbuilders are things like Dominion, where assembling and cycling through a deck is part of the game itself, not pregame setup. It's a common point of confusion.
Care to share some overall thoughts on Ashes, coming from an MtG perspective? I've thought about picking it up, but probably wouldn't get much more than very occasional casual play out of it.

>>44589494
Thanks, will do.
>>
>>44589558
>Deckbuilders are things like Dominion, where assembling and cycling through a deck is part of the game itself, not pregame setup. It's a common point of confusion.
What do you call a game where you build a deck prior to play, that's not a CCG? Is it an LCG even if it doesn't have expansions?
>>
>>44589608
There's no commonly accepted and used term for that yet. LCG gets used a lot, yeah, mostly to try and break the copyright FFG has on that term.

I suggest constructed deck games, because typically constructed is a word that gets used a lot in those circumstances, but nobody uses it, so, yeah...
>>
>>44589608
CCG / LCG are distribution models, not game genres, though the tendency for games in that model to follow similar gameplay schemes doesn't help with that particular point of confusion either.

Best I've heard is calling them "duel" card games.

>>44589664
Constructed isn't bad, but people then confuse that with the constructed format. And does it still count when doing drafts? I don't know, I'd prefer a term better distanced from construction types.
>>
>>44589728
>Best I've heard is calling them "duel" card games.
But that already has meaning; a duel card game is any head to head two player card game. BattleCON is a dueling card game, for example. But BattleCON doesn't have any of what we're talking about with deck building/constructing.
>>
>>44589558
Our first game was really, really slow. It's also really easy to forget that each character has a limit on the number of units and spells they can have in play. We all screwed that one up at some point.
The turn structure also takes some getting used to. Each round has a number of turns. You do some setup at the start of a round, then you all take turns, in which you can do one or two things, until everybody decides to pass their turn consecutively. Then the round ends and on to the next one.
Your mana comes in the form of ten dice you roll. I learned to be stingy with it because you only get that ten for the whole round and sometimes things will come up later and you'll want to have mana open to deal with those.
Honestly, the game kind of feels like a mix of Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic. You have resources, a "planeswalker" (or commander if EDH is your thing), optional blocking, and faux summoning sickness like in Magic, but the limited field sizes and attacking other players' units makes it feel a bit like Yu-Gi-Oh.

tl;dr It's Magic with a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh and I certainly enjoyed playing it. First time you play is really, really slow as everybody tries to figure out what they're doing.
>>
>>44589790
>First time you play is really, really slow as everybody tries to figure out what they're doing.

We still have that problem with Dogs of War after several sessions. It's a shame because I really like the game, but the time we take to recalculate our best course of action every turn is making some hesitant to play it over our other games. I guess it has too many viable options and too little certainty.
>>
>>44583675
When I used to buy Magic cards, I rarely bought packs outright. Either fat packs, singles online, or preconstructed decks. Not because I don't like opening packs, but because I was never willing to make the investment that makes booster packs worthwhile

>>44589664
>>44589728
>>44589728
>>44589779
CCG/LCG are totally genres (the non-FFG term is ECG "expandable card game," games without expansions could also be called a "non-collectible card game"). The umbrella genre for all games with customizable decks is "customizable card game" yes I looked it up
>>
>>44590536
>The umbrella genre for all games with customizable decks is "customizable card game"
I like this. Simple and effective.
>>
>>44570614
I play PoG from time to time with a number of friends. It is a great game and if you play it regularily you can get the playtime down from the 13 hours when you are new to like 4-6 hours. Play it online perhaps?
>>
File: bait.png (8 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
8 KB, 512x512
>>44571635
>>
>>44588033
>>44588285
You know, I never thought of it like this way, but that's a good point. There's a lot of very random games out there which are still fun, but they all have choices to make - do you invest resources to mitigate the randomness, or take the high-risk high-reward approach? Do you go for a different strategy than the other players and hope you get lucky, or piggyback on them and hope you can break away later? Do your press your luck, knowing you could lose it all, or keep what you have and hope it's enough?

I think the thing that bugs me the most about Hill is that you can't even acquire information you need to make choices during the first half of the game. You can't predict whether you should go ahead and take a risk, because even if it pays off it might not matter. You can't make moves to suss out the traitor, because they don't know they're the traitor until the Haunt begins. There's literally no point to the first two thirds of the game except setting up the board and the pieces.

I think it'd be greatly improved if you had ways to discover what kind of Haunt was coming up, and who the Traitor was or who had the possibility to become the Traitor. Then at least there'd be something useful to do.
>>
>>44591538
Alright new homework for everyone: Write an improved ruleset for Betrayal, with your limitations being that it must have the Investigation/Haunt phases, potential traitor, and it can't require any pieces that don't come with the game.
>>
>>44591699
I'm missing some information due to not owning the game and having played only once or twice, but the following might help.

- Use static boards and drop the whole tile business. Make setup and play actually distinct.

- Have rooms tied to specific decks for searching (that's already the case, right? more chances for equipment in specific rooms, stat boosts in others, and whatever the other deck was) so players looking for something particular know where to go.

- Reveal a random traitor selection condition right at the start. Then the players decide for themselves whether they want to try to be the bad guy or not, and pay attention to which rooms the other players are searching. Even if no one's actively trying to be it, someone *will* be chosen, so they will become wary of the most likely candidate regardless of intent.

- After a set number of rounds, the Haunt begins and the traitor is determined. The players saw it coming, so they probably either avoided that player or stayed close to attack him.

- By separating the traitor selection from the Haunt objectives/mechanics, and making the latter random and revealed only when the Haunt begins, you avoid cases where the traitor collected everything he knew he would need, or the rest of the players have prepared themselves for an easy escape.

Effectively, every player/character has collected a few of whatever kind of cards/bonuses he wanted to focus on, and now needs to react to an unpredictable Haunt as best he can.

Some of the existing Haunts or cards may not integrate well with that model, but I'll consider that exempted from your "no new pieces" rule.
>>
>>44587638
>Allow me to jump in, start an argument and stop caring by the time I hit "Post."
I'm going to use this in the future.

>>44589558
You know, I used to hate deckbuilders until one night with Dominion and my gf and friend. Then I hated them again after that. Then I got Star Realms and everything changed forever. 10/10 game what the fuck White Wizard

>>44589608
Fantasy Flight copyrighted LCG and it's a marketing term anyway. Regardless, it's the proper term for games like EPIC. Dueling games are what Mage Wars and Summoner Wars often get called but generally, I imagine dice when imagining that term since they ones I've encountered have that. If you're like me and went pro in any TCG ever, you'd scoff at dice in a dueling game.

Really, you should check out EPIC which is a preconstructed LCG for lack of a better term. Another one by White Wizard, it's very balanced and heady. Just don't use the cliche "It's Magic but with all Rares and Mythics!" because it's not. Very very not. That will make you lose every game you play.
>>
>>44592086
I would probably not mention mtg at all when suggesting Epic and let people come to that conclusion themselves when playing.

I'm fairly sure hearing so much about how it's like mtg before getting to play is a factor in why I hate Epic so much.
>>
File: Never Skip Leg Day.jpg (46 KB, 640x631) Image search: [Google]
Never Skip Leg Day.jpg
46 KB, 640x631
>>44588512
>The entire De Vermis Mysteriis pledge for Cthulhu Wars weighs 60 pounds not counting the base game.
>The Mysteries of the Worm pledge from the new Kickstarter will probably clock in close to 100 pounds.

That shiz better come with a back-brace and wheeled dolly. Otherwise you'll be able to spot the players in public pretty easily. Pic related...
>>
>>44592506
Guaranteed. I roflstomped my PTQ girlfriend every single game of EPIC because I chose to ignore the reviewers and approach it as a brand new game with tabula rasa. She died horribly, usually with me at either full or half life (sometimes higher).

As soon as I told her why she was losing, she threw out her Magic expertise and started winning.
>>
File: Failed me for the last time.jpg (99 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
Failed me for the last time.jpg
99 KB, 500x329
>>44589608
Bonus points Anon for asking the question I was going to ask...

>>44589664
>>44589728
>>44592086
Damnit /tg/! You were supposed to come up with a clear cut and immediately global term for games where one builds a deck prior to the start of game play so I can stop corn-fusing the term 'Deck Builder' with things like MTG. Pic related!
>>
When playing Sheriff of Nottingham, do promo cards like Royal Summons count toward the number of cards at declaration?
>>
>>44593290
customizable card game, at the bottom of my post >>44590536
>>
>>44593613
yep, and do not count as violating your count
>>
Agree/Disagree?

>Munchkin is fun with the right people, but a bad shuffle can ruin any given game.

If you disagree, what else do you dislike about the game?
>>
>>44594981
I dislike that there's really only 1 obvious strategy for winning, and consequently every game plays out pretty much the same.
>>
File: brock samson.jpg (22 KB, 364x368) Image search: [Google]
brock samson.jpg
22 KB, 364x368
>>44594981
Munchkin's issues:

The jokes grow stale quickly.
Adding more sets only prolongs the inevitable.
The play progression becomes quickly predictable - the leader is blocked from winning, 2nd place player coasts to victory soon after.
Games with more than 4 players become excessively long and needlessly drawn out.
>>
>>44593701
Honestly, that's way to Vague. One could argue that 'Poker' is a "customizable card game" based on the vagueness of the terminology there - which isn't really helping define the distinction between MTG and Arctic Scavengers for example.
>>
>>44589558

>sharing thoughts on Ashes

Damnit man, I have been plugging that game periodically for months! Built demo decks out of what scrap of information I could online months before the official preview weeks started.

It is a game that seems to emphasize constant tempo shifts. By having players limited I'm the number of actions available per turn, ever turn you are reactingbto or creating new threats and trying to poke holes in the opposing defense.

The decks feel quite different and deckbuilding, though rare, has been à blast.

My only knock against it, oddly enough, is that sometimes you can snowball so hard that by the end of a round (or halfway through), its obvious who will win.

My Summoner Wars rival and I enjoyed it, but when taking a break from SW to play Ashes, it just made us want more Summoner Wars. The uncertainty of dice was more fun, as things could get swingy, but not necessarily over the top. So much more fun to go for that hail Mary assassination attempt than an attack you know will end in your favor.

Which is weird, because mtg was.my entry into /tg/ land, and I love ashes because of how it cribs the familiar while offering twists of substance.

The dice abilities are the most satisfying design choices about the game. You only get ten dice per round, so sacrificing one for a slight perk is a big deal, but those perks can finish off a beastly unit, buff your champion just out of harms way, or bring back valuable allies at a cost. It reminded me a lot of when I would play mtg with a traditional 52 card deck. At any time, cards could be pitched at instant speed for a perk based on suit (tap, +1/+1, ping 1, can't remember the last one), and cards were both lands and spells, so losing cards hurt, but we loved that choice being available.

It's a great game, not the greatest, but I'm excited to see what the first wave of expansions bring. Plaid hat is great with expansions.
>>
>>44595118
It was fun when I didn't know by better, and it formed the core of my first board game group. It's a relevant part of our history, but games repeatedly went on for far too long, and eventually people just stopped asking for it. It killed itself without anyone ever talking shit about it.

I didn't even know it was hated by most people until I started going to fortress ameritrash.
>>
>>44594981
Disagree. Munchkin is just a bad game mechanicly and the nostalgic humor aint even well delivered. I try to avoid it.
>>
File: Monopoly Star Wars.jpg (753 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly Star Wars.jpg
753 KB, 1280x720
Got curious about this because I'm a huge Star Wars nerd so I checked some reviews and found a rules summary.

Did Hasbro just make an actually good Monopoly variant?

It's a 2-on-2 team game, no houses, no hotels, and I think rent is paid to the bank if I understand it correctly. No deeds either; those tokens mark ownership. Game ends when all properties are owned, team that owns the most properties wins.

Railroads are hyperdrive instead, sends you to the next unowned property. Bankruptcy is gone; if you have to pay money and you're out of money, you give one of your team's properties to the opposing team. Bounty Hunter space lets you steal a property from the enemy team, too.

Community chest and Chance are gone, replaced by light and dark Force cards. Each card has a light box that applies to the light team and a dark box that applies to the dark team. If you draw a card of your team, it goes to your hand, and the box corresponding to your team will let you know when you can play it and what it does. If you draw a card of the enemy team, you immediately resolve the effect corresponding to your team.

I'm told it plays in about 30 minutes.
>>
>>44596075
so basically it's nothing like monopoly and they're just using the brand name to sell to normies.
>>
>>44596075
About half of the games they came out with as part of the Star Wars merch reboot on force Friday is decent or better. I played about half a game of this "Monopoly" and it was quite tolerable for something you'd get cheap at Walmart/Target/Meijer/etc on the way to a 5yr old's b-day party. They also streamlined Sorry, did a knockoff of Ghost Blitz, and misnamed Ackbar's Gambit as SW:Risk. Any are good buys but if Amazon drops the price on SW:Risk black edition to $30 again it's well worth picking up.
>>
>>44596424

Just like Queen's Gambit Mk. II, pic related. Sold under the name Risk: Star Wars Edition to sell to normies on name recognition despite having absolutely nothing to do with Risk.

Monopoly Star Wars at least tries to resemble Monopoly superficially. Risk: Star Wars is has nothing to do with Risk at all.

Hasbro is using licensed board games as an excuse to innovate, holy shit.
>>
>>44596509
This wasn't innovation, they already had a very popular niche game and cut it back a bit to be cheaper to produce and easier for casuals to latch onto. It was simply an refusing to take a risk and using a well known IP inappropriately. That said I've put in about a dozen games since getting my copy for Xmas, shit's loads of fun, but the rules clarification on deployment + attack swung victories 90/10 empire.
>>
>>44596075
Let's see...

>It's a 2-on-2 team game, no houses, no hotels, and I think rent is paid to the bank if I understand it correctly.
That seems weird, because if correct you've mentioned no way to generate income.

>Game ends when all properties are owned, team that owns the most properties wins.
>I'm told it plays in about 30 minutes.
Can't hurt.

>Railroads are hyperdrive instead, sends you to the next unowned property.
That is a welcome addition.

Looks like an improvement overall, although it's still built on a largely uninteresting foundation.

>>44596509
>Hasbro is using licensed board games as an excuse to innovate, holy shit.
That reminds me, I think I saw a copy of Risk in a store with updated rules that seemed to make it more interesting, but I completely forget how. Has Risk changed that much in the past few years?
>>
>>44570554
I hate warhammer.
Card games are shit.
Star Wars is a horse that's been beaten for so long it's just leather now
I hate all these stupid quest threads. I wish this board was slower, getting rid of all the useless "quest" threads would slow the board down and make good threads that aren't trash last longer.
>tfw all you like in table top games Is fantasy and nothing else
I sound so fuckin' cynical but honestly I genuinely do not see the appeal of quest threads or warhammer
>Grrrrr were big guys in big armour and we're always angry
Yaaawwwn.
>You're the fanciful fairy princess and someone ate all your flower jelly, what happens next?
Ugh. Every single quest thread just makes me roll my eyes, thank god for thread hiding
>>
>>44596661
There's Risk Legacy, that's the only one I know of for certain that's different from "vanilla." You can change the board during the games, and have them impact future games. You can name a continent, and get a bonus on it.
>>
>>44596789
Wrong thread there mate.

>>44596807
It wasn't Risk Legacy, it was apparently vanilla Risk but different from the vanilla Risk I know.
>>
>>44596807

They did have a revised edition a few years back.

It deals out objective cards and gives each player a capital. The first player to complete 3 objectives and have their own capital under their control wins.

Really speeds up the game.
>>
>>44596560

Even with the clarification, the Rebels can still win, but I'll admit it got trickier.

The best Rebel strategy I can see is to put in a duel card, an Endor card, and a space card every round. Use the space order defensively; consolidate to deny the Empire bonus cards for wiping sectors, and of course strike back if the enemy's in reach.

Force the Empire to use orders for movement on the offense. Win the duel; the bonus cards can swing the game in a single turn.

The Imperial strategy, of course, is to focus on the space battle. Death Star for easy bonus cards, deploy TIEs, slaughter the rebels. Fuck the duel, fuck Endor.
>>
>>44596789

You're in the wrong neighborhood homie, but that doesn't mean I don't agree with you on almost everything you've said.
>>
>>44584750
No thoughts?

>>44591538
>There's literally no point to the first two thirds of the game except setting up the board and the pieces.
I don't know, I LIKE the whole exploring an abandoned house you know nothing about and finding random stuff lying around part of Betrayal. Removing that feels odd to me.

>I think it'd be greatly improved if you had ways to discover what kind of Haunt was coming up, and who the Traitor was or who had the possibility to become the Traitor.
This made me think about what if there was a Dead of Winter version of Betrayal, along with the Crossroads mechanic. That would be amazing.
>>
>>44597466

>Thoughts?

Those all look like games that might see 2-3 plays then sit on a shelf for ages. Also, a game about puns will almost certainly be met with odium on a near constant basis. Or at least the jokes will get old very quickly. Like munchkin.

It's not the answer you were wanting I'm sure, but, I mean, um, tah dah!
>>
>>44597412
Yeah it's definitely possible and you do have to recognize the asymmetry and focus on your side's strength, but it's also a bit too easy to chain bonus orders past the first round. It also feels a bit stale that the optimal opening move will always be Executor, deploy, deploy.

We did have a surprise rebel victory over the weekend when my opening move of y-wing squadron moved on the right flank and cleared a TIE squad, then 2 more via bonus orders. Those 4 fighters took out the entire starting fleet for the empire in 3 rounds and generated enough bonuses to redeem Vader, which got the Endor track 2/3 cleared on bonus actions.
>>
>>44597544

First time I played, we played with the clarifications. I was the Rebels, and launched a blitz on the Executor. A few good rolls saw the Executor die by the end of round 2. My friend had theorycrafted that everyone should just focus on the space battle and ignore everything else, that the duel was COMPLETELY irrelevant to everyone and Endor was a formality the Rebels shouldn't bother with until they've generated a space advantage.

Once the Executor was down, I plinked away at TIEs while also advancing Endor and winning the duel, result in a board where I was in position to simply table the entire Imperial fleet but elected to just gank the Death Star when the opportunity came.

It helped that he kept failing his Death Star rolls, though.

We swapped places for the rematch. I buried the Executor inside the TIE cloud and focused on breeding. Although I lost a lot of TIEs at first to his "focus on the space battle only" strategy, once I had a mob up the pushback really swept him. A turn full of lucky Death Star orders chained into a CRAZY push that made my victory almost assured, at which point he conceded and refused to ever play the game again, ostensibly because Queen's Gambit -- which I also have -- is a much better game (which is true), but I suspect he was also butthurt that both games fucked his theorycrafting.
>>
>>44597541
Yeah, it's exactly why I'm hesitant to back it. Their other two games would make perfect filler for waiting around with friends, or as a warmup to a game night though. Which is why if I have no idea if I should back it anyway just to get those two game.

Thanks for replying regardless though.
>>
>>44597143
Ah yes, that's what I saw. Considering the biggest complaint I've heard in my group regarding Risk is how long it takes, that would have been a nice upgrade. But, I'm not gonna buy a new copy of Risk with so many other games we can play now.
>>
>>44595207
That's the name straight from Wikipedia. You do better if you want, but it's descriptive and inclusive of any game that may apply (far as I'm concerned)
>>
>>44597696
Yeah the dice on Death Star rolls can swing a game big time, we've had one game finish in under ten minutes because all 6 fleet sectors were destroyed on consecutive orders and the rebels hadn't moved any ships off them yet.

I'll also agree that Queen's Gambit is better, but it's also a lot harder to get to the table; and since I'm on a tight budget for gaming, is no longer a grail game. I get the same cinematic feel for 1/10 the price, and played in less than half the time. Been thinking I need to re-edit that gf recommendation pic I did because I've gotten her to sit down to 3 games already.
>>
File: boss_monster_dungeon.jpg (95 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
boss_monster_dungeon.jpg
95 KB, 600x450
Boss Monster versus Boss Monster 2.

Should I get Boss Monster and then get Boss Monster 2 as an expansion if I liked Boss Monster?
Or is Boss Monster just a waste to get when Boss Monster 2 exists?
>>
>>44598484
You should just avoid Boss Monster entirely because it is frankly a piece of shit. Spells are OP and dominate the game, but unless you get to play specific Bosses or luck into specific rooms then spells are extremely hard to get. The game basically boils down to 'who gets the most spells', with some people getting lots and most people getting almost none.
>>
>>44598484
Before buying either try out the app first if you haven't already, as it's free. It's a decent approximation of the original game, and of the system they designed in general. There isn't a lot of difference between the two versions, and neither is a really good game, but they're over quick.

>>44598599
Bit extreme but accurate critique of one of the biggest flaws in the game. I'd still be better having this hit the table than Bang or Munchkin, because at least we can move onto something else in 10-15 minutes.
>>
>>44598670
>I'd still be better having this hit the table than Bang or Munchkin
That's what I was hoping for.
>Before buying either try out the app first if you haven't already, as it's free.
Oh that's neat. I'll probably do that then.
>>
>>44596789
This post should be it's own thread.
>>
>>44572419

Dominion
>>
>>44583294
I was in a six-man game that started at 7 in the afternoon and went on til midnight. But on the plus side we got a lot of kills (Thank the gods for molotovs.)
>>
>>44594981
>Munchkin is fun with the right people, but a bad shuffle can ruin any given game.

It's only fun where people that haven't played it outnumber the ones that did. Or are nonexistent. Either that or play with tools.

People have more fun when they don't know what's the best strategy because the best strategy is mindnumbingly boring. If you're playing with people that don't try to be optimal it's a fun game of "take that" and the winner comes up pretty quick.

You can see the fun go away once people start thinking.
>>
Got Imperial Settlers, Nightfall and BattleCon: Devastation of Indines. Did I do good?

Played Imperial Settlers yesterday and it's *great*. Not long, not short. We messed up the rules a little because we rushed reading the manual but the game is simple. The civilization building/settlers (the computer game) vibe is strong. The only thing I dislike (and that's too strong a word) is the limited amount of turns and that you have to sacrifice buildings to build fraction buildings. Apart from that top notch game.

Can't wait to try BattleCon and Nightfall.
>>
>>44588033
>>44588238
>>44588286
Rex is a good game and if you played the original Dune, FFG made it to REX but cut it shorter. I own the game, but only played it once, it was fun, and yes the lot of hidden information / hidden bidding in combat what makes the game interesting + the alliances. The game is pretty solid IMO, and has no expansions so its one buy only.
>>
Okay /bgg/, do you use your tablet in board game sessions? Any ideas how could tablets be utilised in regards of playing board games? so far we use it for
>playing some music fit for the theme
>keeping pdf rulebooks for everything
>using the fan made apps (like bsg loyalty deck editor)
My other idea would be to gather or make tutorial videos of the games you have (like the ones that FFG does for their games) and simply show it to the newcomers before playing. It would make so much easier to explain the rules and mechanics and they would understand them quickly. I was thinking about saving FFGs videos to the games I have (for example netrunner), or perhaps making my own with simple scanned images and stuff, but sadly I am no video editor.
Any other suggestions?

any more ideas or suggestions?
>>
>>44603167

>tutorial vids

Planning on the same thing anon. The best way to figure out what you need to do is look at whatever is already out there and understand why it sucks. What I learned asking her before is...

>don't force humor
>don't say um
>have a decent sound setup
>if it's a tutorial video, cut out the excess talking, nobody wants that
>make a point to look nice
>have a special look is okay, but too much is cringe territory
>keep the intro short. People don't care about your favorite song.
>>
>>44602443
You did damn good.
BattleCon and Nightfall are great. For Nightfall, try to play with 4 or more. Three player easily leads to kingmaking scenarios if you pay enough attention to then# of sounds being dealt out.

I have wanted to try imperial settlers for a while, will have to bug my friend about it and have him bring over his copy.

You have a bright future ahead of you.
>>
>>44603885

I think we will play Nighfall most often, for more players 4-5 should be possible often.
>>
>>44603885
>>44602443
>Imperial Settlers is good.

This makes me happy. I got the Game for Christmas, and haven't had the chance to get it onto the table. Definitely bringing it to game night tomorrow now.
>>
>>44603992

Don't know if it works for a bigger setting but for 2 people we had a blast. Don't know when we'll try it in a bigger setting, though because when we meet it's usually either StarCraft or Kemet.
>>
File: blurstation.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
blurstation.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
>>44603167
>Using tablet for gaming supplements
One of the bigger advantages of keeping my gaming rigs in the same room as my game table.
Almost put my TV in there too, mounted over the table on the wall, but decided that would be too much / too distracting. Would have been great for tutorial vids, but I'm generally faster at teaching than those anyways.
>>
>>44602443
Battlecon's great, but it's a lot better with the Force gauge mechanic they released in Fates.
You can proxy it really, really easily though, or even just mentally note it once you and your opponent learn the rules for it.
>>
That guy anecdote:

>Playing fantasy setting rpg
>GM forces prophetic dreams and strage birth marks to PCs
>Seers and clairvoyants tell each PC to travel to far land because they're destined for great things blabla
>That's how PCs meet
>First encounter almost TPK (3 out of 4) because too dificult encounter
>GM makes a loud "Upss, my mistake"
>Next PCs also have prophetic dreams and strange birth marks
>Each new PC has the same shit
>Most "great thing" we did was defeating an oversized hog that was attacking a small as fuck town or killing a bunch of bandits
>We know there're epic shit going on but we never come even near it
>Literally sums up to nothing
Why? why make us feel important when we were meaningless shits?
>>
>>44604284
Does anyone else feel like /bgg/ gets a disproportionate number of weird off-topic misposts?
>>
>>44604284
>>44604362

It's why we need a general. He sets things off on the right track.
>>
>>44604284
Just be glad your GM doesn't have a mega boner for travel.

Took us four sessions to get from city A to city B because we're searching for a mcguffin and decide time is of the essence as the bbeg is working on his master plan or whatever. Goblin armies on the road yadda yadda we go through a forest. Cure constant pathfinding and survival checks and repetitious descriptions of the 'lush verdant surroundings'. We have a grand total of two combat encounters and one kinda nonsensical and unimportant encounter with a talking owl that we essentially decided we didn't have time for when he basically babbled out riddles with no indication of there being any reason to or reward for solving the riddles outside of meta knowledge.

Bonus: Total experience gained from those four sessions: 500xp for a level five party.

Ended up telling the GM I was having a hard time staying interested in the game and that it's just slogging down in the unimportant minutia. After session four where we finally made it to town and it took us two hours to successfully find and get lodgings at an inn, I just told him I wasn't going to play anymore since I wasn't having fun.
>>
>>44592086
>You know, I used to hate deckbuilders until one night with Dominion and my gf and friend. Then I hated them again after that. Then I got Star Realms and everything changed forever. 10/10 game what the fuck White Wizard
Gotta admit, after Star Realms, I'm having a hard time going back to Dominion or Ascension. That said, I still have a soft spot for Core Worlds. I wonder if there's any other good games that use the deckbuilding mechanic in unique ways like that.

Also, out of curiosity, have you tried any expansions yet? If so, any you'd recommend?
>>
>>44604284

>Upss, my mistake

I will never ever understand GM's using this excuse. Well, outside of GM's who don't know the game at all. You literally have control of every possible detail in the world, and yet you "oops"

I think it's safe to say a GM who lets the game control him instead of the other way around is a bad GM.
>>
>December 26, see that seasonal toy store is having a clearance
>see GoT LCG for 50% off
>"huh, I didn't know there was a 2-player starter box"
>check the back cover, see FFG, "yep it's the right game"
>buy it and shelve it
>don't open it until today
>see the standard FFG product pamphlet
>"Summer 2013 Catalog"
fuck
> open the decks, see outdated graphic design on the cards
fuck fuck
>>
File: all my want.png (453 KB, 1200x329) Image search: [Google]
all my want.png
453 KB, 1200x329
>FLGS had a restock
>Great, time to get Fury of Dracula
>all of a sudden Twilight Struggle Deluxe out of nowhere
>my heart
>my wallet
>>
>>44605930
I've been eyeing a copy of that at my FLGS for the past bit too. I shouldn't do it, but if I keep coming in and it keeps being there... well, promises can't be made.
>>
Just picked up Twilight Imperium, any tips for the different races?
>>
>>44602443
I also just got Imperial Settlers and I fucking love it too. Trying to convince my brother to play it with me (he took one look at the meeples and decided that it was "too complicated").

The limited turns doesn't bother me at all. Only five seems limited at first, but it ends the game at a perfect point. There's a definite progression throughout the game. The first turn, you're only doing a few actions, but at the end you can have tons of resources and pull off large combos.

Sacrificing common buildings to build faction ones is a bit weird, though, I'll agree. I kind of fluff it as "converting" a Germanic settlement to your culture.
>>
>>44604430
Was your GM the ghost of Tolkien?
>>
>>44606008
Yeah, honestly I shouldn't even consider buying it; it's a two player game and my group is usually 3+, the rules are somewhat long (not really, but you know, casuals) and thus might lose interest, and I am already planning on spending $170 on games soon. An additional $50+ on a game I might never play is way too much. It's SOO GOOD though...

At best I could hold off until August or July and grab it then (together with maybe Shogun), but if it's any bit as popular here as it is in everywhere, it would probably get sold out quickly. Maybe they'd be open to reservations 6-7 months in advance, I'll have to ask.

Guess I'll sleep on it and do some soul searching.
>>
What would you say is the best old game given a new lease of life - Fury of Dracula or Tales of The Arabian Nights?
>>44604362
I think the mention of That Guy in the OP might have given people the wrong idea
>>
>>44606493
Dracula is competitive, so predictably, I'd say that.
>>
>people shelf their games when they get them
What the fuck, I immediately crack it open as soon as I get it wether I have someone to play with or not.
>>
>>44606159
>First combat encounter after multiple sessions worth of backstory and travel
>It's against a 5th level animated tree with buffed stats
>We're a 1st level party
>In the first round of combat every PC is either left in the negative HP or helpless
>Near-complete party wipe
>GM loudly says "whoops"
>Suddenly his Mary Sue GMPC enters the combat out of nowhere and resolves everything
>Rest of the session is spent following the GMPC back to his house while he sings bullshit songs the GM made up on the spot
>GM tells us how our characters are so weary and railroads us into staying at the GMPC's house
>Next session, all he fucking does is sing songs, tell us backstory we've already heard, and make magic food
>The GM can't stop hinting at how powerful and great his Mary Sue is
>When we try to leave the house, it suddenly starts raining and we're forced to stay inside and do nothing
>For the entire fucking session
>>
>>44606622
I kind of want to read something like this for the entire book now. But this isn't the thread for that.

More on topic, what are some mechanics you guys loved in games that you were otherwise disappointed with and wish you could reuse in a new game? Or, more generally, things you love from a particular game that you wish were used more often?

I like how in Dead of Winter people are working on a common objective but win independently. Similarly, I like how Dogs of War makes the players cooperate on objectives while pitting them against each other for the benefits awarded by those same objectives. The resulting shifting alliances are such a perfect fit for the theme of the game; it's probably my favorite example of a mechanic that actually reinforces a game's theme.
>>
>>44606078
Don't bother with dreadnoughts unless you are l1z1x or have an admiral. If you're l1z1x then it might be a good idea.
Get war suns if you're playing Hacan.
Hoard action cards with Yssaril.
Exploit politics at the start if you're Jol Naar, since you most likely start with the most influence.
If you're playing with the original strategy cards then try to pick up the imperial strategy card as much as possible. Technology strategy card is very good the first turns.
If you got any expansions then some of these tips do not apply.
>>
>>44606078
Big galaxies are ass.
Play with two rings and not more than five people.
The races are pretty self-explanatory.
>>
>>44606078
Actually, ignore the original strategy cards and print the cards from Shattered Empire expansion. It makes the game A LOT better.
>>
File: tg tiers.png (745 KB, 770x1215) Image search: [Google]
tg tiers.png
745 KB, 770x1215
Pic related, but for specifically board games: does it exist?
>>
>>44607644
Damn that is a horrible list.
>>
>>44608314
Yeah I'm not a big fan myself, I just grabbed one from the other thread for the sake of a reference pic.
>>
>>44607644
>Catan
>>
>>44607644
There are a couple of 'game suggestions' pics that float around the /bgg/ threads showing games in different categories, but I don't have them on this PC. You'll have to wait until later tonight and I'll post them if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
>>
>>44607644
The problem with board games is that I don't really think of getting "deeper" into the hobby as I go, but "wider." Just because it's outside the fringe of popularity doesn't make it deep. Same problem with your pic related, a lot of the "deep" stuff is actually silly and rules-light, but because it's only well-known on /tg/ it's considered "alien lifeform-tier"

That said, I definitely have some ideas. I'll work on it tonight
>>
>>44606493
>>44606522
I'd go with Fury of Dracula, but mainly because it seems like it has a lot more replay value than TotAN. But that's just my impression and YMMV.
>>
>>44608836
This confusion emerged in the other thread as well. It's not Settlers of Catan the boardgame - it's referring to a specific story of a time some anon played Catan. That "Catan" involves some pretty extreme sub/dom stuff that would shock and horrify in most communities that aren't based on 4chan.

I can link it if you want, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
>>
>>44609743
Yeah, I could see more of a world of /bgg/ map type thing with the continents of 'Ameri-trash' and 'Euro-cubia. (And the Isle of the Munchkin & the Damned...) ;)

Bonus points for 'Old World Mapz' style.
>>
>>44609743
It seems like there are a few different ways to delineate what goes where in the tiers, so I get that. That said, inviting someone to a game night of Carcassone is undeniably a lighter invitation than one to a TI3 sit-down.
>>
>>44609743
Yeah, seeing CATastrophe on the Jaded Outcast tier was weird. Maybe something like a solar system or galaxy would be more appropriate if we need to make a visual analogy, with more obscure titles orbiting on the more distant rings, and more popular ones concentrated in the center.

>>44609826
That works too, maps are cool.
>>
Why can't girls play board games that are more complicated than monopoly? They always end up getting bored, getting mad and/or sad because they're losing, or they don't pay attention when you're trying to teach them how to play. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if someone is going to ruin the game for everyone else, why bother playing?
>>
>>44609887
>why can't girls X
>dropped

This sounds like you're playing with the wrong girls. There's nothing I can do to convince you that my anecdotal evidence overrides yours or vice versa, so why don't we let this topic die here?
>>
>>44609826
>>44609877
Canals Against Humanity
>>
>>44609887
I guess >>44609925 beat me to it. I game with a girl regularly and she's pretty avid in terms of strategy. I used to be careful about the games I introduced to this couple since I didn't know her tastes and didn't want to bore her, but she's probably the most eager in our group to try out new heavy strategy games.
>>
>>44609887
The people you're playing with are shitty people because they're shitty people, not because they're girls. Stop making implied excuses for them.
>>
>>44609887
I'll take you up on your last sentence though.

Some people think they enjoy certain activities they actually don't care for. I used to do this with open-world RPGs and Minecraft clones, until I realized that what I wanted out of them was something completely different than what I was getting. So there's that.

Some people enjoy things they aren't good at. I personally have a hard time with it, but I have friends who play league, are legitimately Bronze tier trashlords, and still really enjoy playing the game, even when getting destroyed. It's beyond me as to why, but they do. So there's that too.

Finally, there are people who, for whatever reason, have trouble focusing. This could be due to things like ADHD, or possibly Depression, or an addiction to being connected to everyone they know at all times via cell phone. It could even be responsibilities that they don't want to deal with but /have/ to because idk, they're a doctor on call or something. These people often end up avoiding games when they know they are going to/might ruin them, but sometimes they think they can manage, but they can't. That sucks, but it happens.

I hope that I offered some actually substance here, I admit I was feeling a bit salty when I hit reply. I'm better now though.
>>
>>44609887
>I'm not trying to be a dick, but if someone is going to ruin the game for everyone else, why bother playing?
Gender argument aside, you don't have to keep inviting shitty people. Or you don't have to go if you're the one being invited and you know you won't enjoy yourself.
>>
>>44609994
Did I really capitalize depression? That wasn't intentional. Might be projecting my personal struggles a little there :V
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.