[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ROGUE STAR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: 9781472810779.jpg (135 KB, 300x404) Image search: [Google]
9781472810779.jpg
135 KB, 300x404
Is this the game that will finally free us from Corvus Belli and all their Infinity subpar mediocrity?
I hope so.
>>
>>44568200
List reasons.
Tell us your hopes and dreams.
>>
Maybe. I used to love the author's Song of Blades and Heroes games, but fell out of love with them a year or two ago. They're still good, but I moved on. This game is apparently not using that system, though... and I really like what Osprey have been doing wth this line, so I'm optimistic.
>>
>>44568200
Are there more details and can we use both our infinity and other Sci Fi *cought40kcought* models to play.
>>
>>44569682
That said, I doubt it'll be much of an Infinity replacement. It'll probably be a Necromunda/Rogue Trader warband game with lighter, less clunky rules, some fun campaign bits, and a reasonable amount of loose writing. Not a tournament ruleset by any means.
>>
>>44569715
Not really so far, and absolutely, from what little has been said.
>>
File: free binoculars.jpg (36 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
free binoculars.jpg
36 KB, 500x333
>>44569715
>Rogue Stars is a new system from Andrea - it has elements in common with SoBH, but with significant changes. For starters, it's a d20 system, target number-based, combat is more detailed (22 melee weapons, 31 ranged weapons, 5 grenades), there are rules for environmental conditions (including high and low gravity)... and more, but it's a long road to October 2016, so I should save some things for later.

Creating a squad is fun. Characters are built individually, with all kinds of traits, skills and equipment, and alien races can be built on the fly by combining traits in different ways. The squad as a whole is then given a theme (Pirates, Bounty Hunters etc.) that determines some of the traits and equipment to which it has access, and a tactical discipline (20 in the rules, from Sharpshooters to Gestalt) that gives it an edge when sticking to familiar tactics.

And, yes, Psionic powers and a Force Sword can be combined in the obvious manner.
>>
So how is it different to Rogue Planet, another new Scifi skirmish game?
>>
File: 9781472801401_5.jpg (36 KB, 268x361) Image search: [Google]
9781472801401_5.jpg
36 KB, 268x361
>>44568200
>ROGUE STAR
is this a osprey games thread then? Has anyone played pic related
>>
>>44568200
That's a bit harsh OP. I love Andrea's work but it'll never unseat Infinity. Simply because people that love Infinity like very different games to what Andrea has to offer.

And that's OK. They can have their game, and I'll have my simple and fun skirmish game where I get to make up my own factions.
>>
>>44569899
Tell me your secrets, insider anon...
>>
>Osprey makes games now

Not sure how I feel about this desu
>>
File: alien11.jpg (106 KB, 612x1152) Image search: [Google]
alien11.jpg
106 KB, 612x1152
>>44568200
>>44569899
So what's the game all about?

Tell us where we can find out all the facts
>>
>>44573275
this, tell us what you know dammit
>>
>not just playing A Fistful of Kung Fu
>>
Does anybody have reviews of the Osprey Games?
Or personal experience? A lot of them sound interesting, but it seems to be impossible to find any info on them aside from Frostgrave.
>>
>>44573275
>>44577182
That post was a quote from an osprey employee on the lead adventure forum. not from the anon here.

I'm loving these osprey books. i still need to pick up black ops though.
>>
>>44569733

Implying that the IST isn't the worst Tournament Rules ever written in human history and that Infinity is'nt a pile of weebo masturbatory fantasy that fail to work even at the most kitchen table games. Even Age of Sigmar has better rules than Infinity.
>>
>>44578506
In Her Majesty's Name: neat steampunkish (ugh) development of a really good 40K-inspired game. Not mechanically 40K-inspired at all.

Lion Rampant: Nice little medieval wargame. Amusingly basic old-school lists for playing a fantasy game with it.
Dragon Rampant: Showed up yesterday at my place, looks good so far.

Ronin: Not my thing, some people like it.

Black Ops: Very excited to try this out, from reviews and reading, but haven't got it on the table yet.

Dux Bellorum: Neat enough? It's basically dark ages DBA/HotT in scale.

That interwar game: Looks neat, but a bit of a failure mechanically as far as I'm concerned.

Frostgrave: Based. Has some issues, but nothing compared to the games it's inspired by. Glorious, glorious game.

>>44570794
Rogue Planet's also neat, but weird. Basically no measurement involved, and you can do stuff like pick a motherfucker up and throw them at another motherfucker, wade through a horde of minions swinging a hammer and flinging them around the board, and generally kick-ass. Very science fantasy, in that it's explicitly trying to make melee viable and cool.
>>
>>44579144
I don't actually play Infinity, I just based that on what Infinity players I know and don't play Infinity with seem to think.

I'd rather use FiveCore.

Osprey, please hire Ivan.
>>
inb4
>LION RAMPANT REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>44579157
>Dux Bellorum
is this similar to SAGA, I picked up lions rampant expecting medieval SAGA and was fairly disappointed.
>>
>>44568200
Best of luck to them. I hope they surpass Infinity.
>>
>>44579836
>is this similar to SAGA

afaik, no. In Dux Bellorum you move whole units just like whfb and it has no crazy dice mechanics like SAGA. It's also very popular with the 10mm crowd.
>>
>>44568200
sounds like someone is upset they couldn't powergame in infinity
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.