[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Question, what about the asians? Are there any asian RPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: Japan-princess-web.jpg (24 KB, 318x344) Image search: [Google]
Japan-princess-web.jpg
24 KB, 318x344
Stupid Question, what about the asians? Are there any asian RPGs being made that are cool/good?
>>
Maid RPG.
>>
>>44557711
Do you mean RPGs specifically about Asia, or RPGS coming out of Asian countries?
>>
>>44557866

rpgs coming out of chingchong lands
>>
>>44557711
Well Double Cross seems pretty popular here.
>>
File: Quickstart.jpg (47 KB, 250x349) Image search: [Google]
Quickstart.jpg
47 KB, 250x349
>>44557711
"Quickstart" apparently has them playing real RPGs. There's a ton I've never heard of, with some bizarre settings and rules.
>>
>>44557912
Can't say I've ever heard of any pen and paper ones. JRPG vidya has a grip on autists on /v/ though.
>>
>>44557711

idk if /tg/ likes em, but One Shot Podcast did a playthrough of a system called Shinobigami. It's currently being translated to english as a kickstarter project but honestly sounded really really cool.
>>
There's a bunch, they are mostly D6s, and they are usually super weeb.

Read Quick Start!! to get some names if you care
Vol 1: http://imgur.com/a/dhubS#0
Vol 2: http://imgur.com/a/3b2qh#0
>>
>>44557972
Tell us about it?
>>
>>44557711
>Are there any asian RPGs being made that are cool/good?

The Arabs are big into LARP and Troma-style practical effects. Check out ISIS on the tube - they got shitloads of vids.
>>
>>44558060

Shit mate I'm not good at describing stuff in writing. All I can really say is it's pretty unique. The general layout of play is quite different from western RPGs. I'd check out the podcast or the kickstarter for a better description, sorry.
>>
>>44557711
From what is (or will be) available to english-speaking people:

>Tenra Bansho Zero
IN GRIM DARKNESS OF DIESELPUNK JAPAN THERE IS ONLY WAR. Pretty good if you like samurai stories, western movies and suffering. Lots and lots of delicious suffering.

>Double Cross
Japanese Wild Cards. Good news: you have superpowers. Bad news: if you're not careful they'll turn you into surrealistic monstrosity. Worse news: there's a clusterfuck of at least 10 societies of people with similar superpowers and they all want to use/exterminate/mutate you. Godspeed, you poor bastard.

>Shinobigami
Not translated yet, but it's about modern-day ninjas ninjaing the shit out of each other. Pick a clan, receive a mission, betray everyone else. Fun for the whole group (except for betrayed ones, but fuck them)

>Ryuutama
Hayao Miyazaki's Oregon trail. A classic hexcrawl with comfy feel, a game that places emphasis on travelling, rather than murdering tons and tons of monsters. Though it's in no way boring - travelling is hard, and natural obstacles can be as deadly as a goblin gang.

>Golden Sky Stories
I haven't gotten too much into it, but it's a very rules-light game about shapeshifting animals that help people. Absolutely freaking adorable.
>>
File: tenra-full[1].jpg (122 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
tenra-full[1].jpg
122 KB, 560x420
>>44557711

Tenra Banshou Zero is god tier
>>
File: Grancrest.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grancrest.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44558655
Not (officially) translated, but interesting:

>Meikyuu Kingdom
Most of rules are there, but fluff is not translated. A kingdom-building dungeon-crawling game where players take up roles of members of the king's court and develop the kingdom by solving people's problems and capturing new territories (read: completing dungeons and settling inside). Has a comedic feel akin to Disgaea, and is fairly crunchy.

>Alshard/SRS
The flagship of japanese RPGs which will never be translated because fuck you, baka gaijins. It's basically a very high japanese fantasy, full of anachronisms and completely crazy shit. Only the SRS core and base mechanics are translated, so we at least can gently fondle its skeleton

>Tokyo NOVA
Japan's cyberpunk RPG. I know jack shit about it, sadly, aside from class system (all classes are represented by Tarot cards) and that it's more "classical" cyperpunk than Shadowrun.

>Grancrest
Another kingdom building game, this time with more focus on politic fuckery and purging everything not more or less human-shaped. There's PDF, but honestly i only skimmed it.

>Zettai Reido
/d/ the game. Dare you enter the magical realm of octuple-cocked futanari succubuses? Actually has surprisingly solid (hue hue) mechanics and downright hilarious appearance/demon type tables. Author was self-conscious while writing the game, so it is much more sane and tongue-in-cheek than FATAL, Black Tokyo or the like (though, admittedly, that's not much of an achievement).
>>
>>44558240
>ISIS is a fuckhuge LARP
>rest of the world has misunderstood the situation in the vein of the moral panic surrounding metal and PnP *100
I'd play it.
>>
>>44557955
>Can't say I've ever heard of any pen and paper ones.
Probably because they're all in Japanese (or Chinese or Korean or whatever)
RPGs need a lot of translating, and apparently western publishers don't think it's worth it
>>
File: 1448348482222.jpg (479 KB, 1250x1126) Image search: [Google]
1448348482222.jpg
479 KB, 1250x1126
>>44557777
The quads have spoken
>>
>>44558655
>>Ryuutama
>Hayao Miyazaki's Oregon trail. A classic hexcrawl with comfy feel, a game that places emphasis on travelling, rather than murdering tons and tons of monsters. Though it's in no way boring - travelling is hard, and natural obstacles can be as deadly as a goblin gang.

Hunh. I'd play that one.
>>
>>44558655
>>44558755

Why do these all sound fun and interesting?
>>
>>44562355
Because for the most part they are. And if you want a slightly deeper but not necessarily entirely correct answer, although Japanese games spring from the same source as everything else, they evolved on their own to meet the needs and tastes of Japanese gamers.
>>
>>44562355
Because Japan isn't beholden to the slave yolk of D&D 2-3e or Tolkeinian Mythology
>>
Bumping for interest (and potientially interesting systems)
>>
>>44558655
>Hayao Miyazaki's Oregon trail. A classic hexcrawl with comfy feel, a game that places emphasis on travelling, rather than murdering tons and tons of monsters. Though it's in no way boring - travelling is hard, and natural obstacles can be as deadly as a goblin gang.
That sounds good.
>>
>>44557912
Only Japan.

China, HK, and Korea doesn't understand/give a fuck about tabletop shit. Mostly because they came to the RPG scene via videogames.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.