[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, fa/tg/uys, do any of you know any post apocalyptic RPG systems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12
File: The Siren.png (581 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
The Siren.png
581 KB, 500x600
Hey, fa/tg/uys, do any of you know any post apocalyptic RPG systems that aren't too hard for newbies to get into?
>>
>>44554865
Not any RPGs with a dedicated post-apocalyptic environment. I've always used generic systems with a post apoc coat of paint on them. In this case: Savage Worlds. Very newbie friendly and the way the rules are geared, very fitting to a post apoc world.
>>
Apocalypse World is pretty easy to get into. Rules for players are straight forward. Character creation takes about 15 minutes if you print out the sheets.
>>
>>44554895

I got the Deluxe Explorer's Edition. I figure it's time to just get stuck in.

Failing that, I'll just use FATE. FATE's the way to go.
>>
>>44554865
All Flesh Must Be Eaten (Zombie Apoc)
There's the 'End of the World' book series too.
There's home-brews based on various vidya games.

Are you looking for a particular type of setting?
>>
>>44555034

A buddy was shotgunning Mad Max stuff, so that's the flavor he's going for. Bless his heart, he started from the beginning.

However, he still wants car chases and blowing shit up with improvised weaponry.
>>
>>44554945

> 300 page rulebook
> restrictive character creation
> overly-edgy writing style
> loads of extra unnecessary rules
> shitty damage system / combat system

Yeah no.

>>44554895

> literally rewards shorter sessions because of bennies
> characters can take like 20 bullets before dying
> wounds and healing are slow as fuck
> literally lose a turn every time you get hit
> modifiers make aiming a shotgun an auto-hit against pretty much anything
> vehicle combat is shit
> .308 does literally less damage than AK-47
> all guns have the same recoil
> edges are samey as fuck
> cahracters are samey as fuck
> burst fire is OP as fuck

Yeah no.

>>44555034

> huge amounts of hit points
> basically impossible to get killed in one gunshot
> attack / defense rolls
> core mechanic is overcomplicated as fuck
> confusing exploding dice mechanic
> requires lots of bookkeeping for game about fighting hordes of zombies so you have to track LP (or dead points for undead) for literally dozens of zombies for a large horde fight

All the games suggested here are shit.
>>
File: DraculaCan'tBeThisSmug.jpg (41 KB, 324x394) Image search: [Google]
DraculaCan'tBeThisSmug.jpg
41 KB, 324x394
>>44555314

No, anon, you are the shit.
>>
>>44555126
>However, he still wants car chases and blowing shit up with improvised weaponry.

Savage Worlds has rules for vehicles.
>>
Apocalypse World and Fate Accelerated should both do wonders.
>>
>>44555314
Then you recommend one, smart ass, so that we may all pick it apart and laugh at it. And you.
>>
>>44555368
>Savage Worlds has rules for vehicles.

Yeah, and those rules are shit.

>>44555375
>Apocalypse World and Fate Accelerated should both do wonders.

One is shit and the other is a cut-down version of a shitty RPG that is trying to shill overpriced dice with +s and -s on them.

>>44555348

Nice logical reply. Stuff like this is why D&D still outsells shit like Apocalypse World and Savage Worlds. It's not because of 'muh brand identity," it's because those games are literally shit and their fans cannot defend them.

>>44555397
>Then you recommend one, smart ass, so that we may all pick it apart and laugh at it. And you.

d20 modern should do the trick just fine.
>>
>>44555437

>D20 Modern

I don't think so. These are newbies, after all.
>>
>>44555437
>d20 modern
>fine for anything other than kindling
>>
>>44555493

> d20 modern

> something like a 200 page rulebook

> apocalypse World and savage worlds

> 300 page rulebooks

d20 modern is actually a lot easier to run for newbies than either of these games. Also, d20 modern does not promote bullshit luck point crap (Savage Worlds) or wanky-wanky narrativist gameplay that restricts players to a predefined set of "moves" that are the only way to use stats (Apocalypse World). Or uses a confusing base mechanic with weird exploding dice mechanics and a static DC (AFMBE, though that could also apply to Savage Worlds).
>>
>>44555535

It is fine for lots of things besides kindling. Clearly you have never played it, and I doubt you can even explain any flaws with the system besides shit you parrot from /tg/.

Also, as for OP's question, GURPS would work quite well. The 3rd edition is supposed to have very good vehicle rules.
>>
>>44555548
>restricts players to a predefined set of "moves" that are the only way to use stats
i don't even like apocalypse system but you have this completely backwards
>>
Teen end of the world system is fast and easy and you don't have to buy a lot of books
>>
>>44555314
You aren't going to find an RPG with less than a 300 page rulebook that bothers to have accurately statted guns.
>>
>>44555590
>i don't even like apocalypse system but you have this completely backwards

Actually, that is how it works. Most systems give you a set of stats and tell you what they can be used for, allowing you to use them where skills wouldn't fit the bill.

Apocalypse World gives you some vague-sounding stats and some pre-defined moves so that shit like climbing during a rainstorm counts as "acting under fire" and you need to come up with deep meaningful consequences to each failure.

It's wanky wanky narrativist garbage that is only attractive because of its simplicity. Which is then oblivitates by adding a ton of unnecssary rules for gangs and bikers.
>>
>>44555630
>You aren't going to find an RPG with less than a 300 page rulebook that bothers to have accurately statted guns.

Bullshit. Make your own. Fucking hell you could do some rules-light like Mini-Six that has accurately statted guns.

Problem is, most RPGs with short rulebooks are wanky-wanky narrativist bullshit that don't bother statting guns because they only give a shit about restricting your storytelling with autistic meta-narrative mechanics that aid nothing and fuck up all potential for good storytelling with rules.
>>
>>44555437
>d20 modern

I involuntarily snorted in amusement, good one anon.
>>
>>44555666
>>44555666
>Problem is, most RPGs with short rulebooks are wanky-wanky narrativist bullshit that don't bother statting guns because they only give a shit about restricting your storytelling with autistic meta-narrative mechanics that aid nothing and fuck up all potential for good storytelling with rules.

Whoa there anon, slow down and tell me where the dungeon world designer touched you explain your sentence.

Are you saying that short rulebooks systems tend to have so many rules the rules get in the way of good storytelling, while also focusing on narrativism?

Cause your statements seem contradictory as delivered.
>>
>hates on everything
>defends d20 modern

This is bait, folks.
>>
>>44555738

Dungeon World is nothing but a rip off of apocalypse world that replaces AW's semi-fast combat with a high-HP slog

Fucking hell, a fighter is liable to start off with more HP than a fucking elder dragon.

> Are you saying that short rulebooks systems tend to have so many rules the rules get in the way of good storytelling, while also focusing on narrativism?

No, I am saying the small amount of rules focus on restricting narrative, instead of just staying the fuck out of the way and providing the group a toolkit to play the game they want.

If you had more than a one-dimensional mind you would be able to understand that even a rules-light game can be restrictive. If your only rule is "every failure has to have deep meaningful consequences and follow our predesigned moves system" that is just as restrictive as 300 pages of autistic GURPS rules. At least GURPS encourages you to only use what you need. AW shoves it down your fucking throat.
>>
>>44555437
How's the new IP, Virt?
>>
>>44555694
>>44555775

Then prove why d20 modern is shit, instead of making meme-tier responses like a bunch of 13 year olds.

If you cant defend your opinions, you are not allowed to have them. End. Of. Story.
>>
>>44555775

my favourite part is where he keeps saying wanky wanky
>>
>>44555856
>If you cant defend your opinions, you are not allowed to have them. End. Of. Story.

I'll have whatever opinion I want, and you can't stop me.
>>
>>44555835
From what I understand, the moves are meant to be very liberally used for a variety of situations. They just have weird names, instead of things like "Strength check" "Will Save", etc.

Is that the source of your confusion?
>>
>>44555877
>I'll have whatever opinion I want, and you can't stop me.

Eventually there will be a mass purging of narrativist RPG players, and you will die.

>>44555902

I am not confused, fucker. I fully understand the rules. I also consider them to be retarded as fuck, overly restrictive, and giving a shitload of narrative agency to the players which is objectively bad as it hurts immersion. The entire concept of Apocalypse World is complete bullshit and it is only liked by (1) pretentious hipster cunts who do not discuss RPGs outside of their fucking G+ groups and thus are not exposed to any other way of thining or (2) newfags who dont know better because they've only played one kind of RPG since they started playing after watching an episode of the IT Crowd four years ago and now consider themselves "nerds"

It's sad because D Vincent Baker is actually a pretty nice guy and AW has some good ideas but it is overall shit and the prolifieration of "hacks" for it are disgusting and stagnate game design by shamelessly imitating a lukewarm system that lacks quality even within its narrowly-focused setting.
>>
Neighbors, I do thank you for providing me with suggestions for a system to run post apocalyptic systems with.
>>
File: 8284157[1].jpg (48 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
8284157[1].jpg
48 KB, 627x626
>>44555981
>consider rules to be overly restrictive
>but they also give out too much agency to players.
>>
>>44555981
>overly restrictive
>BUT also too gives players too much agency
>having players be part active participants on what is going on to their character/world reduces immersion

That last one is true. How am I going to tell my PC's about the pissy forest that sands before them if they don't look to me for every tiny scrap of description.
>>
>>44556011
You're welcome. Also: the guy who is currently shitposting? If he is repelled by everything he's ranting against, then this is only a good thing because that means people like him won't sign up for your games. And you don't want people like that in your games.

It's also kind of a strike against D20 Modern.
>>
>ITT: d20 Modern Baby refuses other game systems
Good. Stay in your containment game.
>>
>>44555437
>D20 modern should do just fine

Heh.

>>44554945
>>44555375
I hate to defend narrative indie shit but apocalypse world is actually pretty fun system for playing postapocalypse punks. Don't mistake it for it's bastard redheaded it had with Dungeon & Dragons and twilight.
>>
Isn't D20 Modern the game where assault rifles deal 2d8 damage, and the reasonably leveled characters have dozens to hundreds of HP? How does that not break the immersion?
>>
>>44555852
This is 100% Virt or a decent copy.
>>
>>44555981

craig, go to bed
>>
RuneQuest 6 has the best gun combat of any game I have come across. It's more of a fantasy base, but that works really well for post apocalypse with changing some professional (character specific) skills to things fitting the setting.
>>
>>44556404

When it goes full twilight into Monster Hearts its pretty dope though.
>>
>>44556404
I agree that DW isn't a good implementation of the AW ruleset, but monster hearts(twilight the rpg) seemed perfectly served by the narrative first style of AW. I am curious what you think doesn't work well in monster hearts?
>>
File: road_warrior3.jpg (92 KB, 650x1250) Image search: [Google]
road_warrior3.jpg
92 KB, 650x1250
>>44554865
>Ctrl+F
>Not one Goddamn mention of Atomic Highway.

It's like you fucks aren't even trying anymore.

Okay, OP. Let me tell you why you should play Atomic Highway.

Firstly, it's very, very easy to get into, especially for newbies. The system it uses is entirely d6-based, and the most math it requires is simply fucking addition.

Secondly, according to >>44555126 you're looking for Mad Max-esque stuff. Atomic Highway is literally Mad Max: the RPG. There are multiple character classes dedicated to vehicular combat (with one even outright being named "Road Warrior"). The vehicle customization rules are simple enough to understand but diverse enough to come up with most anything you can think of.

Three: it's incredibly easy to hack and houserule.

Four: You can get it for fucking FREE over here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/70124/Atomic-Highway--Post-Apocalyptic-Roleplaying

You probably cannot go wrong with Atomic Highway, OP. And even if it's not to your tastes, it's not like you've spent any money on it, right?
>>
>>44557149

And a thank you to you too! The other guy you linked to is still me.
>>
>>44556973
>>44556992
Well I'm not gonna judge you if you like it but yes basic it's the teen/monster sex power up systerm.

It didn't really work in apocalypse would but I could kind of see what they will go on for. Can't say the same for monster hearts we are playing a vampire means I literally get boon pain fucks.

Well... still a better love story catching Fire.
>>
>>44555856
Shoehorning fantasy class structure into modern or futuristic stuff rarely ends well. Also, the ramping hit points that come with levels make guns just seem silly at a certain point. And then there's armor making you harder to hit, which works even less well for modern and futuristic stuff than it does for medieval weapons. And the skill system is a mess. d20 Modern is fucking godawful.
>>
>>44557273
Yep to get the most out of both you gotta be comfortable with sex being a thing. For MH it's basically a requirement.
>>
>>44554865
Gamma World is an awesome setting, if you like future apocalypse, though you might find the rules a bit cludgy. There's a Savage Worlds port of it (pdf attached), which I haven't played, but it seems like they would be a good fit.

There's also Barbarians of the Aftermath, a toolbox-y approach to post-apocalyptic gaming based on Barbarians of Lemuria, whose rules are ingeniously simple. I've not played it either though, so I can't attest to its quality.
>>
>>44556873
I'm going to start calling maybe-Virts "Virt Lite" and accuse them of being narrative-wank ripoffs of the *real* virtualoptim.
>>
>>44556992
I doubt you'll get a reasonable answer. Monsterhearts is probably the best Apocalypse Engine game for executing with precision on it's premise. It does what it wants to do nearly perfectly. Some people just hate it's premise to the point where talking about it drives them into a hilarious frenzy.

Personally, I find that the Cold moves are a little weak in comparison to the other traits. Shut Someone Down is a weird move in that partial success means you end up in exactly the same position as your target. That's maybe thematically appropriate, but it makes playing a mean kid a little tricky unless you have a good way to shed consequences. Hold Steady, the other Cold move, is a good move, but I find that it doesn't have clear enough triggers to come up very often in play.

That's my only real criticism.

Oh! I'm also not a big fan of flagging stats. I don't have a good alternative though as I prefer the 'roll flagged stat to get xp' model better then the 'fail any roll to get xp' model from Dungeon World but I just don't like the process where you pick them for other people. I always feel like I'm messing up the other players fun when I don't flag their high stats.
>>
Apocalypse World is a good game for a post-apocalypse.

Incidentally, Monsterhearts is also a good game, but has nothing to do with postapocalypse.

Dungeon World is an average game, but it's probably the best game to give someone that says "how do I start playing DnD".

Monster of the Week is a meh game.

Tremulus is shit.
>>
>>44557472
I can't remember if you flag 2 in MH like you do in AW. If its two flagged stats you could just have the player assign one and the MC or whoever they are most Hx with choose the second.

I think the problem you run into is that why would a player choose to flag anything but their highest stat? So you fall back to the problem of PC's of rigidly sticking with what moves they have the best numbers for (if you consider that problematic) .

I think that Shut Someone Down is purposed that way thematically but I agree Hold Steady is really loose in terms of when it's applicable.
>>
>>44557665
Hold Steady is a tool for the GM, really. It's similar to ApocWorld Act Under Fire. It just goes like this:

GM does a thing that they wanted a player to react to.
Player doesn't meaningfully react.
GM: "LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO HOLD STEADY!"
>>
>>44557415
What the fuck is up with the art in this pdf
>>
File: 1448249835733.png (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1448249835733.png
79 KB, 500x500
>>44555314
You understand that in AFMBE the bullets double all damage that's passed through armor right. With average hp of 26, a shot from a .357 with average damage, will straight up bring someone into survival roll territory.
>>
>>44555573
Nothing wrong with D20 Modern. Maybe nerf chainsaw damage.
>>
>>44556696
damage threshold checks
>>
>>44556696
Hit points aren't meat points. HP in d20 games, for a player character, is not a measure of "how wounded am I" but "how long until I take a blow that puts me down for good".

Hit points are a number of things including physical constitution, endurance, the ability to turn a mortal blow into a glancing one, ignoring pain, magic, dodging, and heroic luck.

This was explicitly spelled out since DnD's early days and it's weird that people still haven't understood this.

That said, d20modern is still not a very fun game.
>>
>>44554865
Numenera, perfect for newcomers.
>>
>>44554895

There is a post-apoc game called Darwin's World (more of a resource book actually) for SW.
>>
File: ERPPC bait.png (53 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
ERPPC bait.png
53 KB, 500x501
>>44555437
>>
File: this.jpg (164 KB, 590x445) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
164 KB, 590x445
>>44558669
>>
>>44558669
Numenera is good for newcomers and I find it enjoyable as a game, but I'm not 100% sure that, setting wise, it can be called "post-apocalyptic." I mean, yes, it's after a presumed apocalypse. Eight of them, to be precise.

But given the presumable timeframe between the Eight and Ninth Worlds, I'm not sure it counts anymore. That'd be like saying that the 21st century world is post-apocalyptic because the Roman Empire collapsed.

That being said, the Cypher System itself is an excellent choice and could definitely handle a post-apocalyptic setting.
>>
File: yours truely 2-1.jpg (205 KB, 679x960) Image search: [Google]
yours truely 2-1.jpg
205 KB, 679x960
>>44558837
Shhh, if we keep talking about it, all the grognards who missread that one Monte Cook quote will come out of the woodworks and derail the thread... again

also, thing a friend made for me as a handout in my campaign
>>
File: yours truely 2-2.jpg (53 KB, 679x960) Image search: [Google]
yours truely 2-2.jpg
53 KB, 679x960
>>44558864
I haven't actually read the cypher system in itself, how does it compare to numenera/the strange

page 2 was a note clipped to it by a sentient automaton working for a monster from the 5th age
>>
>>44558890
>how does it compare to numenera/the strange
It's literally the exact same game but with a lot of the setting-specific stuff ripped out. It's the exact same rules, for the most part.

I'd recommend having a peek at it, if only because it's easier to use the Cypher System rulebook by itself to make a setting rather than just using Numenera or the Strange and ripping out the setting bits.

tl;dr: mostly the same rules, worth using if you're going to be using your own setting.
>>
Technically, World of Ooo is post apoc.
And the system is designed for children
>>
Bliss Stage
>>
File: probanon.png (398 KB, 577x392) Image search: [Google]
probanon.png
398 KB, 577x392
>>44557951
>>
>>44557391
Look I can get stuff like my character is in a relationship with another character and explore it. That's fine. Hell if you want to role-play a lusty barbarian conquer I'm cool with that. It's your game

But the MH pretty much has sex as experience points. It just ...Tacky

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen a major backlash against it considering the indie RPG scene overlaps heavy with buzz feed demographics.
>>
>>44554865
Idk how no one said it, but Mutant Future is easy as pie. It's simple to set up, and any players who have passing knowledge of D&D or something like Fallout will find it even easier.
>>
Fallout RPG? I dont know if its particulary good but I had fun with it.
>>
Atomic Highway. Free and easy.
>>
>>44559754
MH doesn't have sex as experience points at all though?
It has it have mechanical effects, and some of those mechanical effects (depending on the character) can be an abstract representation of emotional manipulation, but... that's it.

Monsterhearts only has two ways to get XP:
- Use a highlighted stat once per scene
- Accept an 'XP bribe' from a social-influence move or power.

I don't really see how "we measure the change on your character from sex" is any more tacky than "we measure how much more powerful you get from killing a goblin".

Sex is something all your ancestors have done. I don't know why people get so weird about it in games, and then treat violence and slaughter as all in good fun. It's a weird line to have.
>>
>>44560488
Okay well playing love sick teen, that's a common trait I can get behide.

That *must* I be a universal movies monster as well?
>>
>>44555314
Stop complaining and read a fucking book, virtoptim
>>
>>44560659
Every time I see virtposting, it makes me smile because I remember his biggest contribution to /tg/: getting permabanned, making a teary blogpost about how he was done with 4chan, then coming right back the next day.
>>
>>44561061
I wonder when will he realize that his life is going to hell and that nobody likes him
>>
>>44554865
I've always wanted to run a shadowrun post apocalypse setting
>>
>>44560636

I don't think you understand the paranormal romance genre, dude. It's ALL about monsters fucking.
>>
>>44554865

Personally, I've had fun with Omega World (the semi-official 3.5 version of Gamma World), but the high mortality rate and the assorted goofiness make it better as a break from the actual campaign. Had some good times with the 4e "update" of Gamma World as well, but don't spend a lot of money on it-it's fun, yeah, but no so much you should buy any of the crappy expansions Wizards put out, or try to make it into a long-running campaign.

Recently picked up a book called Year Zero. Looks like it might NOT be complete shit, but it wants you to buy special dice, and puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that the metaplot marches on with or without the characters, and I know that tweaks the nips of some fa/tg/uys something fierce.
>>
>>44563325
What, like, set it a decade or so after the next scourge?
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.