[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't played Risk since I was a kid and was thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Risk.jpg (98 KB, 800x354) Image search: [Google]
Risk.jpg
98 KB, 800x354
I haven't played Risk since I was a kid and was thinking about picking up a copy. I heard the latest edition made changes people weren't happy about. What's the best edition to get, both gameplay/artwise?
>>
Risk: Legacy
>>
>>44552776
literally the best board game I have ever played

good taste anon
>>
>>44552776
>>44552836
I'd prefer a definitive edition of the original game, preferably one that doesn't involve destroying my own property.
>>
>>44552928
Risk: Legacy forces you to make meaningful lasting decisions that determine the fate of the entire game and its factions.

Sorry you can't handle a game that you shape yourself.
>>
>>44553155
More like I can't afford it. I'm interested in the concept of Legacy, but that's not what this thread is about.
>>
>>44553206
Just buy a copy for 2$ at a flea market. You can probably get the retro wooden box with all the wood pieces for that much. Legacy is the way to go though, and changing your set of the game permanently is all part of the fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 223x310
>>44552745
>What makes this game unique is that when powers are chosen, players must choose one of their faction's two powers, affix that power's sticker to their faction card, then destroy the card that has the other rule on it – and by destroy, the rules mean what they say: "If a card is DESTROYED, it is removed from the game permanently. Rip it up. Throw it in the trash."
>>
>>44552745
Pick up a better game instead, even Axis and Allies is better than the turd that is Risk.
>>
>>44552928
Think of it more as building your own property. You don't get your panties in a twist you you pop tokens out of their punch boards do you?
>>
>>44552745
The best edition of RISK is the Starcraft Broodwar UMS map. It combines the strategy of risk with the tactical depth of Starcraft and is played in real time so you aren't waiting 20 fucking years for your turn.
>>
>>44553883
I think I'd be more sold on the concept if I had a more consistent group of people to play with. It seems like the kind of thing I'd want to do with the same group each time.
>>
>>44552776

This. All day.
>>
>>44553945
>played in real time
you got me curious, how's that work with a board game?
>>
>>44552745
OP - check out the board game geek web site for a better understanding of the various Risk editions and variants.

Personally I like '2210' AD and Godstorm. I'm not a huge fan of the 'Legacy' concept either.
>>
>>44555175
Godstorm is pretty cool, but the underworld is obnoxious bullshit. It's neat in concept, but just draws the game out. Still cooler than regular Risk though.
>>
>>44553793
Fucking this
>>
File: Super Risk (2).png (164 KB, 1288x1517) Image search: [Google]
Super Risk (2).png
164 KB, 1288x1517
>>44552745
Risk is pretty simple and therefore pretty easy to tweak.
>>
>>44552776
Seconded. Playing legacy with the same group can lead to some great stories, and in the end leave you with a unique board.

My tip would be to choose your faction race at random each time. With Risk some people are better than others and it can make the factions unbalanced if they keep picking the same one or the losers do. It also means when you alter the factions you are more likely to do so in a way that suits and enhances the faction rather than the player that often picks them. This means that depending on what faction you start with you might have to adopt a different playstyle than your norm which helps mix it up.
>>
>>44553883
That's an awful analogy. Punching tokens out of a punch board doesn't fucking destroy them.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.