[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post cards that in-lore are supposed to be amazing, but on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 21
File: platinum_angel_by_bljub-d47hovo.jpg (289 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
platinum_angel_by_bljub-d47hovo.jpg
289 KB, 1280x960
Post cards that in-lore are supposed to be amazing, but on the game itself are just kinda garbage.
>>
File: karona.jpg (24 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
karona.jpg
24 KB, 223x310
>>44546905

You used the wrong image as your OP.
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>
File: 12.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
>>44546905
>>
>>44546905
Who cares if she isn't that good?
She's so fucking beautiful
>>
>>44547074
In the book, everywhere Karona went, the entire masses of Otaria would flock just to be in her presence.

I agree that for the False Goddess of Magic, that's a weak card, but it does make sense.
>>
File: Ixidor, Reality Sculptor.jpg (37 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Ixidor, Reality Sculptor.jpg
37 KB, 300x300
This motherfucker made Akroma and weaves real illusions better than planeswalkers.
>>
File: Barrin Master Wizard.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Barrin Master Wizard.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
>>44548132
And this motherfucker isn't even a planeswalker and he can cast OBLITERATE.
>>
File: dragon engine.jpg (87 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
dragon engine.jpg
87 KB, 312x445
>>44548194
This was Mishra's war-winning death device that stomped across Dominaria, nearly unkillable. Its very existence is what made his name.
>>
File: Weakstone.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Weakstone.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>44548265
This is half a planeswalker and a terrifying artifact that can dominate any tool.
>>
File: Mightstone.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Mightstone.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>44548285
This is the other half of that planeswalker.
Together they make up the sum of Urza's power. At the height of his strength, he was the strongest of all planeswalkers, barring perhaps Nicol Bolas.
>>
>>44548285
>a terrifying artifact that can dominate any tool
It sure worked on Urza
>>
>>44547887
my nigga
best cardfu
>>
>>44548194
And then when they reprinted Obliterate, they gave it a stupid joke flavor text
>>
>>44547074
>>44548132
These aren't so bad. In fact the second i'd add to my Morph deck in a heartbeat, even if it IS a little too costly.

>>44547819
>>44548265
>>44548285
>>44548302
On the other hand these are so utter trash its not even funny.
>>
>>44547098
This fits perfectly. He was hiding his powerlevel.
>>
>>44547074
I remember in my Carnage days. Got a couple of Karona in my boosters. I was pretty hyped for her considering I read my lore and everything. So I whipped up a little deck, tried a few things and played that deck in my local store. I said "I'm just experimenting a little". After a complete stomp, the other guy just said "You should stop experimenting"
>>
>>44547928
What they should've done was give her just a little bit extra to justify the hefty cost and the drawback. Between the haste and the "+3/+3 to creatures of the type of your choice", she has the makings of a decent finisher (especially in a tribal block as Onslaught was), but the cost and the drawback of giving her to your opponent if they don't drop this turn makes her just not quite good enough.

I doubt she'd ever really see much constructed play simply because her strongest niche is in a WUBRG tribal deck, but she could at least have been a bit less disappointing if she didn't have the extra generic mana in the cost, or had an EtB effect of some kind, or had evasion to make it a little bit more likely to get lethal damage through on that first attack. Or by the same token, gave your creatures evasion in addition to the +3/+3, but that might be a bit too far.
>>
>>44552930
What if when she came under your control, she took control of all creatures of a type you chose, in addition to the +3/+3? And gave them haste of course. Not quite evasion, but definitely close enough.
>>
>>44553045
That would be pretty neat. Fits well with the flavor, too.
>>
>>44548132

Dude, ixidor is great. He isn't game-winningly broken bullshit like Jace, but that's because he came from an era when Wizards was actually trying to make decently balanced cards.

>>44548302
>>44548285
>>44548265
these on the other hand....
>>
File: undeserved.jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
undeserved.jpg
60 KB, 312x445
We finally see in card form the protagonist of a story that had been unfolding over years... and it's this. Poor Gerrard.
>>
Original Nicol Bolas was pretty bad.
>>
>>44554239
If only they'd made his ability cheaper, he could've been pretty damn good.

It's sad how many potentially neat cards get ruined by WotC being way too overly conservative. Like, for instance, virtually all of Kamigawa block.
>>
>>44554279
Original Nicol Bolas was THE SHIT back in the days it was made.

The other Elder Dragons, not so much.
>>
File: 563795.jpg (32 KB, 178x334) Image search: [Google]
563795.jpg
32 KB, 178x334
>>44548285
>>44548302
>Together they make up the sum of Urza's power.

>play both of these
>they just cancel each other out
>>
File: darksteel_colossus_1280x960.jpg (539 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
darksteel_colossus_1280x960.jpg
539 KB, 1280x960
>>
File: 161[1].jpg (56 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
161[1].jpg
56 KB, 312x445
Behold! The evil, relentless, inhuman monster who rampaged across Innistrad sowing terror and reaping pain!

Behold, as he makes you waste cards so you can use a slightly better version of Act of Treason!
Behold, his -2 which his +1 has zero synergy with what so ever!
Behold, as the other player gets up and leaves because he refuses to be associated with you!
>>
File: Image.jpg (27 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
27 KB, 223x310
>>
Urabrask, while not woefully underpowered, I feel isn't a good mechanical representation.
Though, it's not like he did anything that could be represented mechanically in the first place, but it definitely wasn't charging into a fight.

>>44555071
It sort of makes sense fluff-wise for them to cancel out.
>>
File: 169[1].jpg (56 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
169[1].jpg
56 KB, 312x445
One of the most feared assassins in the multiverse! Who can only kill things under specific circumstances and dies to most turn 3 plays.
>>
>>44554623
kamigawa was a deliberately underpowered block after the pure bullshit that was every single bit of mirroden block.
>>
>>44547098
>>44552365
Aside from hiding his power level, his effect is also very flavourful. Being able to change the colour of anything is probably some extremely difficult magic since it means rewriting the core identity of something in universe.
>>
>>44557965

>every single bit

Except no, it was really just affinity. They made a few glaring mistakes (the colored artifact lands especially), but other than that the set is remembered pretty fondly in terms of having eternally playable and fun cards

Compared to kamigawa which despite having awesome flavor and art, is one of the most hated sets because so many of the cards were worthless even in the format they were designed for
>>
This guy was pretty shit irl, considering how much they hyped him up.
>>
>>44558163
>the colored artifact lands especially
The main problem with the artifact lands, I think, was that they initially justified their existence with them being easier to remove than normal lands on account of them being artifacts as well, but then specified nonland artifacts on cards like Granulate which otherwise could have been used to keep Affinity in check.
>>
>tfw only you and your friends play with shit cards because they're fun
I feel like most people here only want to win. You know what's more satisfying? Building a deck centered around donating shit creatures, or a mana ramp and untap engine just to fuel a rod of ruin. Shitty cards are hilarious.
Does anyone else do this? It's just as easy as making a powerful burn deck and so much more satisfying when the plan falls through.
>>
File: illusions.jpg (36 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
illusions.jpg
36 KB, 223x310
>>44558467
>Building a deck centered around donating shit creatures
Or shit enchantments, ey ey.
>>
>>44554034
>but that's because he came from an era when Wizards was actually trying to make decently balanced cards.
Those rose colored glasses you're wearing are ridiculous.
>>
>>44546905
Warp World.
Just kidding Warp World is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>44558467
>I feel like most people here only want to win. You know what's more satisfying? Winning with different bullshit so I can be EXTRA SMUG about it.
>Does anyone else do this? It's just as easy as making a powerful burn deck and so much more satisfying when the plan falls through.
>>
File: 287[1].jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
287[1].jpg
74 KB, 312x445
>>44558467
I like throwing together stupid decks, and doing gimmicks, and making shit that should never work work, but at the same time, there's some things that are just irredeemable.

I've tried to think of ways to make Tibalt work well, and I've gone lengths to get a 5 color Weatherlight deck up and running, but it twas just not meant to be.
>>
>>44558467
The only fun I have with magic is trying out crazy thematic decks. The only 'proper' deck I have is a somewhat outdated elf tribal, which I only made because I had most of the expensive cards on hand already. The decks I have most fun with - red burn that hinges on getting a ton of pingers and artillery-themed cards out to form a gunline on the table, UW control that uses auras, color protection and kamigawa foxes with some equipment thrown in, blue artifact that uses energy chambers and darksteel reactors to power the lux cannon - none of them would work in a competitive environment. Not on my budget anyway.
>>
>>44558621
>red burn that hinges on getting a ton of pingers and artillery-themed cards out to form a gunline on the table
Please post the list
>>
>>44547928
Her power in the lore was that she had any power people thought she had. So it basically ended up with:
>i can X
>can Karona X? i bet she can, she's strong
>holy shit, she can! she must be like a god or something
>bet she can Y, too

I would have done something like Quicksilver Elemental. First ability would be static and lets it gain all activated abilities from all creatures in play. Second ability would let it any many as though it were mana of any color to activate those abilities.
>>
>>44558301
Considering the rules of the game in the manga (the origin) had no sacrifices, most monsters seemed to have less than 2000 ATK, and life points were at 2000, he really would be that overpowered. It'd be more or less "you have an attacker out? you lose." By the time Duelist Kingdom started, Blue-Eyes was already being outstripped by cards with actual effects, fusions, or magics and traps being a lot more common. What made the big bugger significant from then on out was that he was absurdly rare and all the copies were in the hands of an incredibly skilled player.
>>
>>44558621
I'm the same way. I have literally dozens of decks, all of which are built around some form of theme/gimmick. Some of them are themes that you could theoretically tune up to competitive level with the right cards (eg, tribal decks of various sorts), but I can't be arsed to spend the money or effort to bring them up to that level, and it wouldn't be as fun with my playgroup anyway.

A solid chunk of my decks are based on old preconstructed decks I bought in the first few years after I got into Magic. Like, I've got one based on a precon from Time Spiral that tries to set up storm spells using suspend spells synced up to all go off the same turn. I've modified it a lot from the original precon, but it's still super janky. Loads of fun though, and I love the idea of setting up this elaborate magical resonance that basically glitches reality for a second.

I also have a bunch of decks I'm in the process of building. Like one that uses Doran, the Siege Tower and Wakestone Gargoyle to attack with a bunch of walls. Or a Kamigawa oni deck, red/black using exclusively ogres and demons from Kamigawa or at least ones that don't clash too much with the Kamigawa aesthetic. Or bear tribal.

And someday, if I can be arsed to do the legwork to track down all the old-ass cards it would take, I'd really love to make a banding deck. Just to see the look on people's faces.
>>
>>44558667
Goblin charbelcher, fodder cannon, a pile of various red pingers, a few walls, some seething songs, some iron myrs that can be sacrificed to detonate later, a few pyroclasms, and whatever drawing engine I could slap together. It's not much of 'list'. I made that deck two weeks ago from random scraps and had some lucky wins, but I haven't actually sat down to fiddle with it yet.
>>
>>44558587
Are you calling Rod of Ruin bullshit?
>>
File: Golgothian Sylex.jpg (24 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Golgothian Sylex.jpg
24 KB, 223x310
This is Magic: the Gathering's ultimate superweapon, lore wise.
More destruction than Obliterate or Apocalypse, it's a super-nuke that wipes a continent off the map, shakes an entire plane, begins an ice age, and even causes ruin on the planar level, trapping Dominaria in a "shard" that prevents the greater multiverse from reaching it.
Using the Sylex had repercussions that lasted 4000 years, and made Urza's name a hated curse for eons.

And the card is just pretty much worthless.
>>
>>44559462
Well, at the time it was printed it got rid of one fifth of all cards ever printed. Imagine if they made a card these days that exiled every card from a set or block? You simply wouldn't be able to play those cards in Standard at all, they'd be locked out. Rather appropriate.
>>
>>44559462

>And the card is just pretty much worthless.

What are you talking about? It hits Mishra's Workshops in Vintage ( ¬‿¬)
>>
>>44559971
this.
this thing was made to rape standard back in the day and thats exactly what it did.
seriously, this thing back when it came out was so bullshit it was incredible.
>>
>>44559971
>>44560122
At the time of its printing, whatever. Lore wise it should have an effect more like Worldfire.
>>
>>44547074

Now you can use that equipment from Commander where the equipped creature can't attack you or a planeswalker you control plus some other stuff. Slap it onto Karona and pass your commander around like some deviant harlot.
>>
tarmogoy :^)
>>
>>44560122
I believe that the reason for the existence of these set-hosing cards originally was because Richard Garfield had it in his head that some people might just really dislike certain sets and so included cards that essentially banned them from casual play which was also the only format he had planned for.
>>
>>44558301
I don't mind that I sold my YGO cards but I regret I didn't hold on to a BEWD, even if it was just the one from the Kaiba prebuild deck
>>
>>44558163
>it was really just affinity
They made a lot of other mistakes than affinity, but not all that more than any other block. Trinisphere and thirst being restricted from vintage, crucible of worlds, skullclamp, tooth and nail... There were a lot of things people hated about the block, affinity was by far the largest, but it wasn't the only thing.
>>
>>44546905
Everything Mirrodin-related has been garbage, every single little thing, all garbage all the time.
>>
>>44546905
I liked it, actually.
>>
>>44557476
>Whenever a player cast an instant or sorcery spell, that player must copy that spell. He may choose new targets for the the copy.
Feel weird to have such control over something that's supposed to be uncontrollable.
>>
I mean, this guy managed to beat the shit out of Bolas!
>>
>>44563938
She's hot, but she's a terrible card
>>
>>44564111
Bolas doesn't have Vigilance.
>>
>>44547074
Always wanted to build a God/Avatar tribal edh with her
>>
>>44567207
She's not a God, just an Avatar.
>>
File: Divinity of Pride.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Divinity of Pride.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>44567276
No, but she provides devotion for them along with this cycle. And can buff either gods or avatars.

For me she fits flavor wise
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.