[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is a paladin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10
File: paladin.png (151 KB, 320x441) Image search: [Google]
paladin.png
151 KB, 320x441
So what is a paladin?
>>
>>44544513
Definition of paladin
Popularity: Top 40% of words
: a trusted military leader (as for a medieval prince)
: a leading champion of a cause
>>
A miserable pile of oaths!
>>
>>44544513
A miserable little pile of moralfaggotry.
>>
A shining pillar of justice.

>>44544565
>nothing personal kid
>>
>>44544513
I dunno, what's a paladin with you?
>>
>>44544513
A paladin is a fighter without bonus feats, who briefly had great power in the form of a "kick me" sign.
>Gotcha! That coat rack was actually an innocent little girl polymorphed into a coat rack and cursed to die if a paladin put a coat on her! YOU FALL!!
>>
>>44544513

A warrior who's power comes from unbending righteousness and a code of ethics. May or may not be magical.

Differs from a fighter in that they typically are less focused on technique and more on mental stats/skills/magic/anti magic.
>>
>>44544513
I dunno, but if that's one I most certainly want to fuck one.
>>
A warrior who fights for an ideology or patron and is overtly supernaturally empowered by this zeal.

DEUS VULT
>>
>>44544513
A Paladin is a living parable who serves as an example to others.
>>
Alternately: one of the companions of Charlemagne.
>>
One who's belief in a cause, a code, or a religion/philosophy empowers them. This belief often manifests itself as powers, often as some form of healing, or a massive burst of energy which can strike down foes.
>>
>>44544563
came here to post this
>>
>>44544513
Palace guard I think?
>>
>>44544513
>So what is a paladin?
GM bait.
>>
A paladin is a guy with a great bulge.
>>
>>44544859
If we're talking 3.5 / PF it's player bait too.
>>
>>44544513
Some men fight for pay, some for love of country, some for love of fighting. A Paladin is one who fights only because those other three exist. Because there are people who don't fight, and as long as there are people who do, the people who don't need Paladins.
>>
a fi/cl multiclass
>>
>>44544565
you alright there? that edge looks sharp, you might want to stop sitting it.
>>
>>44544910
>If we're talking 3.5 / PF it's player bait too.
Ye. Really, it's GM vs Player vs Player: The Class.
>>
>>44544513
A character class.
>>
Why were ADnD Paladins so awesome, while 3E Paladins were so terrible? Like some sort of kneejerk reaction, was it someone's edgy phase of hating morals?
>>
>>44544988
What was terrible about them? 3E Paladins were perfectly fine, as I remember it. Even a little more powerful than 2e.
>>
File: Meredith.png (120 KB, 214x311) Image search: [Google]
Meredith.png
120 KB, 214x311
Someone who, without fail, is right all the time.
>>
File: b461F.jpg (122 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
b461F.jpg
122 KB, 550x397
>>44544513
>>
>>44544619
this

conglaturations ! ! !
>>
File: 1439586109482.jpg (337 KB, 2979x1594) Image search: [Google]
1439586109482.jpg
337 KB, 2979x1594
>>44544513
Something like this.
>>
File: maskedriderspirits03_064c.jpg (153 KB, 728x1039) Image search: [Google]
maskedriderspirits03_064c.jpg
153 KB, 728x1039
Something like this
>>
>>44544563
Sonuvabitch beat me to it.
>>
>>44544513
there were 12 paladins that were knights for Charlemagne. They were named paladin after the palatine hill in Rome where he held his court. Since they were originally crusaders the word paladin has been appropriated by modern role playing games to just mean generic crusader.
>>
A miserable pile of-
>>44544563
Damn
>>
>>44544563
>>44544834

Came here to make sure this was here. Call-and-response is a traditional game.
>>
File: 1205861768709.jpg (205 KB, 1060x1500) Image search: [Google]
1205861768709.jpg
205 KB, 1060x1500
>>44544513
It was always the games that included other fighter/cleric types like Inquisitors, Crusaders, Templars, or Cavaliers that confused me on what the real definition of a Paladin was.

>Either warrior types who are a part of the church, as hired guards or soldiers
>Fighters who are an ordained member of the clergy,
>Galahad types who are so pure of heart and mind that the gods bless them in the form of holy powers
>A sacred order/fraternity of knights like the Templars or Hospitalers who take sacred oaths to god/gods
>>
>>44545081
>implying anything about DA2 was right
>>
File: 1446415132498.jpg (218 KB, 747x1280) Image search: [Google]
1446415132498.jpg
218 KB, 747x1280
>>44544513
If you have to ask, you're not righteous enough to understand.
>>
>>44549465
She was right, though. She genuinely believed that literally every mage in Kirkwall was a blood mage, and...
>>
>>44549565
What the point of being right when you're right in a shit game? Plus she was just as bad for using what is essentially demon lyrium
>>
"I'm not entirely sure."

But really, it's what happens when an unoptimized Fighter finds religion.
>>
>>44544513
A cleric with more offensive power
>>
>>44550445
you've apparently never heard of CoDzilla
>>
A real shit healer, a real shit fighter

They are that player that makes the whole damn game hard as hell because they wanted to play a personality type.

Might as well be a Monk/Sorcerer hybrid named Sasuke that is only good for taking damage so a more useful party member can do something genuinely helpful.
>>
File: deus_vult.jpg (303 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
deus_vult.jpg
303 KB, 600x750
>>44544711
Did someone say Deus Vult?
>>
>>44544614
You know, with the number of times people come up with convoluted plots to make the paladin fall on here, and the fact I may get a game where I would be unable to make all sessions and need to be able to write my guy out on short notice, I almost want to make a paladin that, at the end of each session, ends up somehow falling for some crazy reason as a Skeletor tier villain cackles and then runs off. So every time my guy would return from a prolonged hiatus it would be after just taking care of a quest to show his worth to himself and his god, and after trouncing whatever harebrained scheme the nemesis character had concocted.
>>
BETRAYAL
>>
File: DEUS VUUUUULT.gif (14 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
DEUS VUUUUULT.gif
14 KB, 416x416
>>44552396
>>
>"So what is a Paladin?"
..good question there, little one. Good question. The answers are good too, but I'm not sure which one is the right one or even if someone's worked out the right answer yet. Still, they're good answers.
Some would say a paladin is a living Oath in the shape of a man, others that they're touched by the gods, or by something greater even than them.
My answer is a little different. They're men, bound by oaths. At the core of it, that's all you really need. Make an oath, and *mean* it. Make it a part of you so much that it becomes you. Oh, gods and the like can infuse that oath with power sure. Fancy lights and the like.
But fancy lights and divine glow doesn't make a man a paladin. The Oath does. And the men who the gods didn't give their blessing to, but still hold to the Oath are the worst and the best. You can slow them, hurt them, even kill them. But the Oath holds them, and they keep walking. Keep doing what they swore to do, once. Everything else, the training.. the look, the little prayers are window dressing.
The real thing might meditate, might reaffirm themselves -bind themselves closer- to the Oath. But they can go without symbols or steel plate. The words they spoke still sound in their heart and soul and will never fade without the paladin himself extinguishing them.

That's what a paladin is lad. And I hope you never have to meet one.
>>
>>44548096
>Galahad types who are so pure of heart and mind that the gods bless them in the form of holy powers

The correct answer

>A sacred order/fraternity of knights like the Templars or Hospitalers who take sacred oaths to god/gods

Also acceptable I suppose
>>
>>44544619
>>44545456

Yep. They're a fighter for a non-evil campaign that can utterly obviate evil aligned enemies.

Fighters deal decent melee all around.

Paladins deal divine wrath to evil.

RP however you want. Just dish out SMITE damage. Only dickish PC's lay the RP onto their fellow PC's.
>>
>>44549565
I really hated that. I mean for fuck's sake, can we get ONE mage who's "Hang on, I'm a gravity mage. I'm fucking powerful already." and then doesn't fall.
The templars should not have a point purely because the other faction are pants on head retarded.
>>
>>44552634
BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAYAL

God, I miss when he did actually funny shit.
>>
>>44553334
I miss when he actually did shit.

Motherfucker hasn't made a review since fucking February. And he hasn't made a good video in 3 god damn years.
I really wonder who the fuck still gives him money.
>>
>>44552898
Literally all the factions in DA2 is pants on head retarded because DA2 in general is pants on head retarded. The mages become blood mages because the templars oppress them and the templars oppress them because the mages become blood mages. It's a perpetual circle of suck and the writers should feel bad for making that shit see the light of day. Seriously, fucking modern Bioware and EA for ruining all their current franchises because all the people with talent left long ago.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.