[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you severed the Material Plane from all other planes, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: DemonSchoolgirl.png (230 KB, 401x633) Image search: [Google]
DemonSchoolgirl.png
230 KB, 401x633
If you severed the Material Plane from all other planes, what would happen?

I'm guessing:
-Deities effectively no longer exist (clerics lose their powers, and divine artifacts and locations lose their magic)
>Conjuration and Evocations spells can't function, alongside most necromancy, divination, and some illusion spells
-Outsiders are either trapped or vanish altogether
-When people die, they become ghosts

Is there anything I'm overlooking?
What kind of person/group would be most interested in making this happen?
>>
>>44544353
It's like you want some odd flavor of WoD all over again.
>>
>>44544353
>If you severed the Material Plane from all other planes, what would happen?

Earth.exe
>>
>>44545280
Isn't WoD decidedly theist?
>>
>>44545280
>It's like you want some odd flavor of WoD all over again.
Sounds more like Dark Sun to me.
>>44544353
>What kind of person/group would be most interested in making this happen?
A group of Paladins who fell for bullshit (i.e most) reasons.
>>
>>44544353
Is magic innate to the material plane or is there a realm of arcane that it comes from?
>>
>>44545403
>Isn't WoD decidedly theist?
Breddy much. WoD has God Yehova, the Weaver, Wyrm and Wyld as well as a number of other deities, nWoD/CoDa has the God Machine and Celestine-ranked spirits which are pretty much powerful enough to count as the gods of your average polytheistic religion, Hinduism excluded.
>>
The Apocalypse Stone for AD&D 2e pretty much answers this. It's a "Fuck you we're done with this campaign" ultratough adventure that will end with the world and everything in it being destroyed, no matter what anyone tries. Mainly because the first thing that happens is that the Material Plane is irrevocably and permanently severed from all other planes. Nobody can teleport out as the world enters a countdown to death, and nothing can reverse it.

Anyway, point being that you can probably check that out and see what that causes there. It's more or less an official (albeit possibly outdated) take on what happens. Sans the apocalypse, which is caused by another thing (the severing is basically just a safeguard along the lines of "holy shit holy shit now they've done it, isolate that shit now" by the gods). But anyway.
>>
>>44544353
I've always wondered what would happen if you moved a planet/setting into the plane of positive energy.

Would all evil magic fail, most evil outsiders turn to dust? Would suddenly good outsiders take over running the planet?

I'm thinking it could be a great campaign filled with moral conundrums if the players are good - or create an interesting situation where suddenly a large variety of evil organizations unite to survive.
>>
>>44545524
>I've always wondered what would happen if you moved a planet/setting into the plane of positive energy.
It'd pretty much just burn to death. PCs can survive there. Everything else is unlikely to be quite as lucky.
>>
The oceans become lifeless and slowly drain away. (They are maintained by portals to the elemental plane of water in the deepest depths) Same goes for rivers.
The winds die and the air becomes stagnant, and eventually toxic (elemental plane of air)
The earth loses its ability to replenish resources, as the vitality of soil is not based on rotting plant matter but instead the elemental energies of earth surging through the land.
In some settings (i.e. DM's discretion), the sun may go out. It is a variant that the sun is merely an extremely large stable Gate to the Positive Energy Plane.

Last but not least, all life forms with souls fall to the ground soulless, connection to the Astral Plane is severed.
>>
Deities might still exist, but their influence drops exclusively to mortal interpretation and execution of their will and philosophy as recorded during contact prior to severance. Figure out what's stopping them from just resetting the connection.
Conjurors now can only summon things from the plane they're on; horses, bears, etc. conjuration that creates material normally draws it from other people or places. Evocation accelerates entropy by tapping material energy for its effects. Fireball spells drop local temperatures and cone of cold raises it; make sure to keep track of temperature environment rules. Outsiders lose their inter-planer reaching abilities but can hold on and resign themselves to the mortal realm. Like the deity part, they may try to go back, or continue their master's agenda in absentia, though many may try their hand at setting themselves up a nice place locally to fit their whim.
Lifestream metaphysics sound like a possibility, leaving both magical healers and Necromancers with a new resource to consider.
>>
>>44545524
An ordinary creature can't survive in the plane of positive energy. They overload and burst/burn to death pretty quickly when oversaturated like that. Alignment doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>44545621
That is easily rectified by stabbing yourself repeatedly every few minutes.
Granted, that would be exceedingly painful and only someone as insane as an adventurer could get by like that.
>>
>>44545524
What would happen is that the massive influx of positive energy would instantly obliterate all undead. A few seconds later, all of the living would explode unless they could repeatedly and constantly damage themselves. I'm not sure how it would work for constructs but if the energy heals them, it would annihilate them due to excessive exposure.

The positive and negative planes are both hostile to all life, and neither of them are aligned towards good or evil.

>>44545553
This is pretty much what happens in Bravely Default, except it's the Crystals and not the planes.
>>
>>44545552
>>44545639
>It'd pretty much just burn to death
But, why? Cancer healing is only third party as far as I know.

Someone joked some year ago that unchecked positive energy would turn the local area into redwood jungle filled with megafauna as suddenly everything is constantly boosted.

But say you're correct, what happens when you just put it on "the edge" - like the plane of shadows?
>>
>>44545638
>every few minutes.
Try every single turn.
>>
>>44545450
I'd wager that at the very least both psionics and ki would still work, followed by a good chance that druid magic would still function (since it draws power from the world itself), and then it becomes a big question of setting in regards to arcane magic, since worlds like Faerun rely on the Goddess of Magic to maintain the Weave.
>>
>>44545638
>An unprotected character on this plane swells with power as positive energy is force-fed into her. Then, her mortal frame unable to contain that power, she immolates as if she were a small planet caught at the edge of a supernova. Visits to the Positive Energy Plane are brief, and even then travelers must be heavily protected.

You are also overloading with levels when exposed to that amount of positive energy. You are basically caught in a nuclear reactor of levels. You simply can't handle the energy. You fucking explode.
>>
>>44545671
>Say you're correct
He is. Healing from the positive plane eventually will explode anything except natives. Undead take damage, most mortals get healed to death. The only things that might be safe are constructs.

Massive fauna and the like is more a trait of a minor positive dominant zone on the material plane.
>>
>>44545674
It's only a few HPs a round. Unless you're being poked with a little knife, you'll usually do more damage than you regenerate. Battles on the PEP don't go on forever.
Even in an energy burst zone, it's 3d10 every few rounds.

>>44545721
That only occurs if the temporary HP you are given exceed your maximum HP. Repeatedly wounding yourself prevents that.
>>
>>44545639
>Bravely Default

It's amazing how a game can initially appear so simple and classic, and wind up feeling so fresh and novel.
>>
>>44545701
Makes sense on the whole. Ki and some spiritual powers use the caster's own spirit.. Nature magic might not work either though, Warcraft at least has druids deriving some of their power from the Emerald Dream.

On the whole though that makes sense.

Now I kind of want to see a setting where this happens to D&D tolkeinesque world #44334
>>
>>44545553
>Last but not least, all life forms with souls fall to the ground soulless, connection to the Astral Plane is severed.

The Astral form in D&D works a little differently than it does in new age metaphysics, where the body is always connected to the higher spirit that exists on a separate plane. The Astral body does not exist on the Astral plane until a caster uses the Astral Projection spell, and it's even suggested that the Silver Cord doesn't manifest until the 5gp Silver Bar material component is consumed.
>>
>>44544353

This is literally Dark Sun, where the battles of the gods destroyed both the world and the heavens to the point where Athas is cut off from all other planes. The only connection is something called The Grey which is a nebulous sub-plane
>>
>>44544353
>what is the real world
>>
>>44544353
It's like you've never even read dragonlance.
>>
>>44545946
>it's basically just d&d
>casters and Martials
>no jack-of-all trade clerics or wizards
>only purpose-dedicated power sources
>>
>>44545553
> The oceans become lifeless and slowly drain away.

Drain to where?
>>
>>44546270
It's close to near isolation, but it does remain largely connected to the inner planes, including Clerics and Druids taking power from them.

There's also the Black aside from The Grey, which is like a pseudo-shadow plane.
>>
I actually did a campaign where this was a major plot point. The only reason why the gods survived is cause the severing of the Material Plane from all other planes of existence is not a an instantaneous thing, so a few of the more powerful gods and goddesses were able to flee to the Material Plane and hide their presence from most mortals on the plane itself, other than granting spells to their clerics.

But they had to deal with a lich hunting them down for about 1,000 years, so they couldn't really go about trying to fix the planes connection to the other realms.
>>
>>44546358
Are the books actually any good?
>>
>>44546497
Nothingness. Without the elemental energy of water to replenish them, the water disintegrates over time.
Did you think D&D abides by conservation of energy or something?
>>
>>44547278
>Did you think D&D abides by conservation of energy or something?

Largely, it does, but in a multiversal sense. You don't spontaneously create fire with a fireball spell, but instead channel fire from the Elemental Plane of Fire.

In order to maintain balance, if the waters from the oceans ordinarily surge from the Elemental Plane of Water, there must be some other plane where the waters end up draining to, perhaps either sinking into the earth and draining into either the Earth Plane or Fire Plane, or potentially one of the outer planes. Or, it would evaporate and end up in the Air plane, or maybe it simply returns to the Water plane, or some combination of these.

Cut off from the planes, the waters may stagnate, but there's no reason to assume they would disintegrate.
>>
>>44545671
>But, why?
Because when you get healed in the material plane, the excess spills out into the environment after your body has absorbed what it needs, since the environment is much less positive-energy rich than your body. On the positive energy plane it's the opposite, the environment is saturated and you're relatively lacking, so the positive energy becomes trapped in your body beyond what it can handle naturally.

As for your last question, I'm not sure what you mean
>>
>>44546844
I grew up on them so ya they are okay. It really depends on what particular book and author though. Forgotten realms is okay too. What i would really recommend is steven ericson though.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.