[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: moria.png (121 KB, 1006x1600) Image search: [Google]
moria.png
121 KB, 1006x1600
Discuss languages in traditional games
>>
I use Hymmnos as my go-to conlang, personally.
>>
>>44540775
English is fun.
I like English.
>>
>>44540775
A légpárnás járművem tele van angolnákkal
>>
Protip: your players will never, ever, ever give as much of a shit about your precious snowflake language as you do, so you're better off not bothering and just using English.
>>
>>44540775
sometimes we use english in our games
>>
>>44540860
It's true! I do it because I like it.
>>
>>44540775
Yeh may gin far an fare war mi loon, ken fit like min
>>
>>44540889
That's a revolutionary idea
>>
27 Languages and 16 different alphabets.

Each can be skilled in 3 different variants. I being just the very basics like saying your name and stuff. II speaking with a accent but able to make a conversation and III being as good as a native speaker.

Alphabets only have one skill-level but cost more depending on the complexity and number of characters.

Certain languages are only available to a few selected races or can't be skilled beyond a certain level. A human could never learn Rssahh, the language of the lizard-folk, beyond level II.
>>
>>44540775

My rule of thumb is one dominant language for a country and between one to three regional languages that are sufficiently different from one another and the main language to be their own thing.
There are dialects for the Upper Class, Merchant Class and regional dialects for the common born.

There are six levels of language mastery:

0 - You possess the ability to communicate in a simple way (Ask simple questions, understand simple answers)
1 - You can deal with straightforward information and being to speak about things you're very familiar with (can take part in small talk, or if the discussion has predictable topics)
2 - Limited ability to express yourself about something you're familiar with and deal with nonroutine information (can hold discussions about intangible things, discuss procedures)
3 - The ability to express oneself in a range of topics well (Can be a tour guide, act as a simple translator)
4 - The ability to communicate with a great degree of accuracy, appropriacy and can deal with unfamiliar topics. (Can deal with being interrogated, can give speeches)
5 - Can deal with academic material, or otherwise be more advanced than an average speaker. ( Can write poetry/prose, orate, study obscure texts)

I'm in the process of remapping the spread of languages, but overall I have two language macrofamilies that result in the others. We're looking at two roots, one productive, resulting in seven families, the other macrofamily produces only three.

Each family branches off, usually in two or three family groups that then actually produce languages themselves. I'll admit to putting more work into some than others and I haven't actually gotten around to describing the characteristics of the language groups in any real way. If it comes up, I'll usually just make some shit up and note it down later. Seems more organic, I guess. Also, I'm lazy.

So far, I think I'll be using around 22 languages in game, but I'll most likely expand that.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.