[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>considering joining D&D 3.5 game >level 6 >all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7
File: 37538139_p0.jpg (324 KB, 1150x1668) Image search: [Google]
37538139_p0.jpg
324 KB, 1150x1668
>considering joining D&D 3.5 game

>level 6

>all books allowed

>"By the way, there is no cost to scribe spells in my setting. All wizard schools hand out spellbook copies of every spell in every supplement."

>"Wizards are still balanced because of their spells per day."

Sh-Should I back out of this caster edition madness?
>>
There's no cost to Scribe spells anon.
Wizard's have unlimited spells to cast per day.

Be a wizard.
>>
>>44538642
When he says all books allowed, does he mean *all* books or just all official books?
>>
>>44538703
Book of erotic fantasy here I come.
>>
>>44538715
So all books, official or not?

Great.

Create whatever class/race you want to play, as OP as you want them to be.

Publish them via an online self publishing platform under a pen name.

Enjoy being a level 6 god.
>>
>>44538703
All WotC books.
>>
>>44538747
Oh, in that case, bail hard or play a wizard.
>>
>>44538642
Play a TWF fighter.
>>
>>44538642
The fuck, you say?
>>
>>44538642
Have you mentioned that 3.5 can be quite an unbalanced mess if you use all the books?

If yes and he persists, build a bog standard monk, die, re-roll into a slightly optimized third party caster (or a wizard using third party spells) and wreck the game. Then ask to play a better game, or at least edition.
>>
>>44538642
>Wizards are still balanced
>still
Now, just wait a fucking minute, here.
>>
Additional note: This DM explicitly allows Spontaneous Divination + Versatile Spellcaster to spontaneously cast any wizard spell, regardless of school.
>>
>>44538845
I hope you're prepared for an inordinate amount of anti-magic fields.
>>
>>44538845
JUST FUCKING BAIL ALREADY.
>>
>>44538862
My shrunken pointy cone hat will save me.
>>
>"Wizards are still balanced because of their spells per day."
the GM has to have some kind of fundamental misunderstanding of how the rules work. like, he thinks you have to burn spell slots to cast a scroll or something. it is the only explanation.
>>
>>44538896
The DM means scribing spells into spellbooks.
>>
>>44538937
in that case be prepared for a meatgrinder. like, 30 encounters per day. no chance to sleep to regain spells for weeks. shit like that.
>>
Make a Cancer Mage Muscle Wizard.

Don't use spells, just punch everything with your INF strength.
>>
>>44538642
Where is this game?
>>
>>44539138
>implying OP isn't trying to stir up an edition war and made up the entire thing
>>
File: 1448142587267.jpg (55 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
1448142587267.jpg
55 KB, 329x475
>these niggas saying "bail"

Fuck them, it's time to double down. Make the most broke-ass shit you can and ride this train wreck off the cliff.
>>
>>44538642
Nah, play a Crusader. You'll be handy most of the time and utterly indispensable when the DM pulls out anti-magic fields.

Which he will.

Every session.
>>
>>44538887
I love this exploit.
>>
>>44539112
Be careful with this one. The disease that gives you the infinite strength only ups your strength once every week IIRC. Say you cough it about a year ago. 100+ str is plenty.
>>
Or maybe there is no cause for alarm because the DM and his players think clerics are healbots, wizards and sorcerers are magic artillery and druids suck.
>>
>>44538642
that seems unwise

not as huge a buff as it first seems but still a pretty big deal.

that said as a 3e player i have to defend my edition this isent caster edition madness this is gming getting in over his head madness

oh god the book of exalted deeds.
>>
>>44539423
here
>>44538845
now that that is something to really be worried about.
>>
>>44538832
>Have you mentioned that 3.5 can be quite an unbalanced mess if you use core?
Seriously.

>build a bog standard monk
Do this though, OP. When you finally win an encounter the cries of "monk op pls nerf" will be hilarious, so post them here.
>>
>>44539415
then they need educating
>>
>>44539521
So, aggressively hegemonising ursine swarm?
>>
>>44538642
He is obviously trying to get people to go zap some muthafuccas so the best course of action is to play as an anti-mage that specializes in blocking/absorbing/negating magical attacks and fucking over magic-users.
>>
Can anyone say 'Locate City nuke'?
>>
>>44539222
>This series
Fucking Dracula stop returning, you had like 5 books
>>
>>44539592
IIRC 3.x doesn't have a very satisfactory anti-mage. Shame there's no spell countering like in Shadowrun.

Another shame is that 3.x dropped the ability that Paladins had to essentially tell spellcasters "no." and turn off any magic used against them.
>>
>>44538642
Play a bard. Use Glibness to convince them that you are a more powerful wizard than them, and that they should serve you willingly and happily.
>>
>>44539877
>Another shame is that 3.x dropped the ability that Paladins had to essentially tell spellcasters "no." and turn off any magic used against them.

There's always Iron Heart Surge.
>>
>>44540056
You think a group with a wizard-fetish like this is going to allow even the tightest, most restrained elements of Bo9S?
>>
>>44540202
OP did say all books allowed.
>>
>>44538693
It may be that he just meant it's free to copy a spell into your spellbook.

Either way, making scrolls takes time and the DM is likely to enforce that (certainly after the first time you drop a zillion scrolls in one day).

Still, if you're going to play in a game like that you're going to either play a Wizard or some other class that scribes spells.
>>
>>44538832
>Have you mentioned that 3.5 can be quite an unbalanced mess if you use all the books?
3.5e is an unbalanced book with just core.
>>
>>44540216
OP's group is frantically buffing the most powerful class in the game. They won't like that being challenged.
>>
>>44540287
Magic item creation time is based on cost.
Still, a 0 gp scroll should take a day to craft.
Just say you spent your childhood and adolescent years scribing the shit out of scrolls and convincing your older, more powerful peers to do the same and give you the scrolls.
>>
Touhoufag, honest question. Have you ever considered not being in the games you constantly drag out for /tg/ to mock? Is it because you're so damaged that no non-shit group will take you?
>>
>>44540777
Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would post a thread about a normal game.
>>
>>44539005
>in that case be prepared for a meatgrinder. like, 30 encounters per day. no chance to sleep to regain spells for weeks. shit like that
I kinda liked 8 hours rest + 15minute per level per spell.
>>
>>44538642
Just play a wizard, have fun.

Do you need to worry about this?

Don't forget about the 13th age game later on!
>>
File: Rock and Roll Dracula.jpg (24 KB, 347x192) Image search: [Google]
Rock and Roll Dracula.jpg
24 KB, 347x192
>>44539222
>>
>>44538642
Just go full Pun Pun
>>
>>44538642
>all books allowed
It's already broken.

Be an Archivist - Intelligence-based divine caster from Heroes of Horror. Functionally identical to a Wizard except you scribe your spells in a "prayer book" instead of a "spell book." And your spell list is "any divine spell."

I'll say that again - any divine spell. All of them. Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, whatever. You know those handful of weird spells that only exist as domain spells? You can know all of them. Those weird Paladin- or Ranger-specific spells that are balanced because they're being cast by a dude who's not even a magic user? You can cast all of them.

One of my favorites is called Knight's Move, from the spell compendium. It lets you teleport as a swift action. It's a 2nd level spell, so a Paladin gets to cast it once or twice at level 8, while you get to cast it a few times at level 3.
>>
>>44539251
How does that exploit work? I never heard of it.
>>
>>44542853
Anti-magic field requires line of effect.

A giant metal cone with shrink item cast on it can be worn as a hat.

When you enter an anti-magic field, it suppresses the shrink item effect, causing the cone to expand and fall to the ground around you. You're now inside a metal come that blocks line of effect.

Congratulations, you can now teleport to your sanctum and leave behind a major image of a giant middle finger.
>>
The time has come.

Druid 5, Planar Shepherd 1. Take Greenbound Summoning and Natural Spell. (Greensinger Initiate obligatory for prestige)
Attune yourself to Fernia/the Elemental Plane of Fire (as applicable).

Show them the true meaning of power.
>>
>>44542940
It's particularly amazing because it gives wizards a legit reason to wear dorky cone-hats.
>>
>>44542940
Ah, got it. Wouldn't happen to have who originally had this idea right? Sounds pretty cool.

Though I'm sure after the first time people would randomly steal the Wizard's hat.
>>
>>44538845
>I'll take "bog the game down in option paralysis" for 500, Alex.
>>
>>44542940
Being inside metal come sounds terrifying and horrific and quite possibly fatal.
>>
>>44543420
a) it's hollow
b) you're a wizard, teleport to a safe, secure distance and leave an angry badger behind.
>>
>>44543420
It's a hollow cone, genius.
>>
>>44538642
>Not playing a fighter designed to kill magic users
>Not burning everything magical you see
>>
>>44543473
>Not playing a fighter designed to kill magic users
Ah yes, the famous Wizard20, Cleric20 and Druid20 fighter builds.
>>
>>44543452
>>44543451
Sorry, I was just being an ass due to the misspelling of cone in >>44542940
>You're now inside a metal come that blocks line of effect.
>>
>>44543671
Oh.

Well, don't judge, some wizards love their iron golems very very much.
>>
>>44538642
Not strong, but fun to watch

Crucian (Sandstorm) Cleric 3 (Rune+Knowledge), ask DM to scribe spells on your shell.
>>
>>44538642
A lesson in humility is in order here. Optimize as thoroughly as you can. Crush him.
>>
>>44539423
>that said as a 3e player i have to defend my edition this isent caster edition madness this is gming getting in over his head madness
I have yet to hear of this kind of bullshit in any of the four other editions of this game dude.

Just accept it. Your favorite edition rots people's brains.
>>
File: bug-vs-feature.gif (34 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
bug-vs-feature.gif
34 KB, 600x450
>>44538642
>Sh-Should I back out of this caster edition madness?
No, you should exploit it to its full potential.

Also, I'm now imagining the Wizard Schools as some sort of proto-/g/ where each and every single one of them shills different Linux distro with its special features and gimmicks and hate the others with burning passion. Just because everything is free doesn't mean people will get along any better.
>>
>>44543990
>Go into /wiz/
>Post a thread asking "Are there four elements or five?"
>Sit back and wait for shitstorm
>>
>>44538642
Are scrolls free to scribe, or just spellbooks?
>>
Do it, OP. We believe in you. Yours will be the spellbook to pierce the heavens.

If you need help minmaxing, I'm sure we could all lend a hand.
>>
Man, I want a permissive 3.5 group just so I can do neat optimization tricks, not to break the game in half with OP wizards n shit. I mean, yes, you can get a caster that can use every spell in the game whenever they want and targets Jupiters with 500+ damage per round with infinite round loops, but maybe I just want to make a strong warlock instead of God 2.0.
>>
>>44543990
And/or be a bastard like a lot of the Wizards at Unseen University. Maybe even a magnificent bastard like Ridcully. (If there are other Wizard players they will either have to defer to you like the other Heads, or you should hope people can avoid overly hurt feelings as you derail the campaign over "who is in charge of The Wizard Stuff?)

But seriously, being a boorish dick and alternately threatening people with a crossbow and thrashing them with a big stick might be fun in that kind of setting. Assuming you work out some kind of thing with the other players or they don't mind tussling with you without getting upset.
>>
>>44542940
It doesn't even have to be metal.
>>
>>44538845
Make the Cancer Mage muscle wizard.
>>
>>44538642
Play a dread necromancer. Break his game.
>>
>>44546244
What is this
>>
File: muscle wizard.jpg (511 KB, 1654x3443) Image search: [Google]
muscle wizard.jpg
511 KB, 1654x3443
>>44547105
>>
>>44547122
That's brilliant. I love it. I hope I can use this one day if I ever play in a 3.5 game.
>>
>>44538642
Okay, so here is what you do.

First, you play a human Mystic Ranger, variant from dragon magazine. Start with a feat from on of the FR books that grants you a wizard spell book at first level.

Then, after level four, you take Sword of The Arcane Order.

You are now a perfect GISH until level 10 or so...so, at level nine you take a level of Spell Thief and the feat Master Spell Thief.

After that, prestige or pursue your multiclass as you see fit.

Maybe make your first level SpellThief and before you take sword of the arcane order see if you can grab a rogue ranger multiclass feat is one exists.

Long story short, play around with that and be an unconquered martial magic user. Be better than a wizard, just because, through to mid level.
>>
>>44546501
Dread necromancers are so much fun.

Check out the Necropolitan template as well, if all books are allowed. It's in Lebris Mortis and it's a +0 template that basically just makes you undead. Tons of juicy immunities for the low low price of one levels worth of XP (it doesn't cost you the LA, just the XP).
>>
>>44547665
One and a bit level to clarify. Level+2000 xp iirc, but you'll probably want to double check that
>>
>>44544209
>First response:
>"Five, of course. Earth, Fire, Water, Metal, Wood.
>>
>>44549206
Shut up Shugenja
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.