[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/. I just got into Warhammer 40k. It's actually pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: rcXhBbD[1].jpg (660 KB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
rcXhBbD[1].jpg
660 KB, 2988x5312
Hey /tg/. I just got into Warhammer 40k. It's actually pretty cool and the tabletop is simple to get into for me.

So I've decided to buy my own sets and paint them. My friends told me I should start with space marines because it's an easy main starter.

What do think of my first one so far? I've never painted models before so any tips would be appreciated. I only did one to practice since I have plenty more.

I know have to thin my paints a little bit. I found that out last minute.
>>
File: G4IMiOv[1].jpg (699 KB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
G4IMiOv[1].jpg
699 KB, 2988x5312
>>
File: iuDOfrD[1].jpg (639 KB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
iuDOfrD[1].jpg
639 KB, 2988x5312
>>
File: EU5Qrxq[1].jpg (660 KB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
EU5Qrxq[1].jpg
660 KB, 2988x5312
>>
Not bad, anon. If you want to try to improve from your first attempt thin your paints like you said and work on using different colors to create depth. You can paint the backpack with black and then hit only the outermost points with the metallic paint. That way the little nicks and crannies look darker and in shadow.
>>
>>44530427

OP here. Thanks a bunch. Does watering the paint down more help it seep into the cracks and lines?
>>
>>44530281
I recommend that you pain the arms, backpack, bolter and body separately before assembling, first of all. Makes it far easier to paint those hard to reach places, but you'll need something to stick them to like blu-tack on an old paint pot. Speaking of primer, it seems you haven't primed your model. That's important as it helps your basecoat stick to the model. I'd recommend grey spray primer, as it doesn't limit your range of shading like black or white primer does.

Also, try highlighting with some lighter tones of blue, grey and black. With either a very steady hand and small brush, or by drybrushing (using very small amounts of paint on your brush, and brushing all over the raised areas of the model). I'd recommend the GW video tutorials on their youtube channel too, they have some nice and comprehensive guides.

Finally, see those little lines of excess plastic on parts of the model? Scratch them off with a hobby knife or file before you start painting, they can make a model look pretty ugly.
>>
>>44530471
Yes. If you use multiple layers of thinner paint it will help keep the finer details of the mini (like around the mouth piece for instance) and the wider, flatter areas will look a little more uniform.

When you're preparing the miniature you can use the side of a hobby knife to scrape off those little lines from the mold. It'll make his helmet and legs look much smoother and like they were intended.

Keep at it. The best thing to do is just experiment and keep painting.
>>
>>44530471
It does, along with it being less blobby, which lets you use more fine detail. What you eventually want to fill cracks and lines with is a wash or shade, which are really thin inks that you just go over the whole model with.
>>
>>44530281

You should play the army that you like the most, not which is recommended or simple.

One really easy shortcut to painting is to buy a can of Army Painter primer in the color of your army. In this case, one of their blue cans. That will save you a lot of time and effort and automatically give you a smooth, even coat of blue over the figure, provided you use the spraypaint properly. They also sell little bottles of paint that 100% match their spray primers in case you need to do touch ups or additional painting.
>>
looks fine.

remember to keep this first one you have. you'll never have another one. use it as future reference on how far you've come.

also, dont fret too much bout painting it perfect. you'll be painting dozens of those little guys. Spend more time on vehicles/characters and less on basic troops. That way you'll have enough to play a game sooner than later.
>>
Great job for your first time. I would think about thinning your paint some though with water. Keep it up and check out some videos.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.