[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Wounds inflicted with this dagger are not felt by the afflicted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: dag.jpg (207 KB, 1280x861) Image search: [Google]
dag.jpg
207 KB, 1280x861
>Wounds inflicted with this dagger are not felt by the afflicted

How useful would this be?
>>
>>44529134
It's (usually) not the pain that kills you, so there will be very little difference in combat potential.

But it could be super useful for surgery!
>>
>>44529134
Good for public assasination, not great for a whole lot else.
You could walk by someone in the street and prick them with a poisoned blade, like that spy with that umbrella.
>>
That would be a terrifying assassin's weapon.

Just walk towards your target in a crowded street, jab the dagger into their kidneys while pretending to bump into them, then walk off before they drop dead of blood loss.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Elisabeth_of_Austria#Assassination

Very
>>
>>44529134
Not overly, unless it also prevents them from wondering why their shirt is getting all wet and bloody. Or for anyone to avoid seeing how their shirt is getting all red and bloody.

Might be useful for murdering someone without waking them...But then you have created a weapon thats best used to murder somebody without waking them up mid-stabbing.
>>
>>44529187
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov#Assassination
>>
>>44529193
How does that differ from a normal bump-stabbing?

You get a second or so before somebody notices, which might be nice... But if you are close enough to stab someone and walk away you would do so successfully whether they'd notice the blade or not
>>
>>44529198
If pressure is kept on a wound, very little blood will seep through. If you slipped the blade through a suit of armour, for example, I doubt much blood would appear.
>>
>>44529252
Alright, you have managed to stab somebody wearing armour. They do not notice the wound, they do not notice the leakage and they will die shortly.

How does that differ from stabbing this person with a normal blade, they will have just about the same chance of survival (getting out of armour would take some time and people can bleed quite alot).

The guy is dead, you have reduced the amount of screaming but is the niche is "Kill armored men so they wont notice" I'd say its of dubious use compared to a normal blade.
Because you are assassinating an armored man with a knife
>>
>>44529361
Well. for starters, you're a whole lot less likely to get caught on the spot.
Second, it makes it more difficult to determine the cause of death.
Third, it separates the time of attack from the time of death, helping to keep suspects out of the spotlight.
Compliments espionage immensely.
>>
>>44529134
Forget the combat and assassination; this is a ferfect item for a doctor.
>>
>>44529134

It's pretty much "multiple sneak attacks", the dagger.
>>
Possibly very, for an assassination. Not at all for actual combat.

I never understood the point of a weapon that actually complicates a kill, if we're talking about actual fights. Shit like "This sword will curse you for life!" or "This weapon makes wounds that are hard to heal!" or "The attack of this weapon will only be felt later!" or shit like that.

If your Big Special Thing in a fight is something that relies on them living long enough to worry about it later, you're going into the fight with an assumption that they're the one who gets to walk away. This is not exactly optimal for you.

I guess something like that can be useful if we're talking about massed weapons in an army, where men become resources that would be great to diminish over time as well, but why the fuck if you're a warrior choosing the weapon himself? Just why?
>>
>>44529252
Armour in general isn't a compression garment. That's Under ArmourĀ® you're thinking of.

>>44529442
We need a fine drill variant.
>>
>>44529442
you
I like you
>>
>>44529441
Yea, it would buy you a few more seconds, which would probably be valuable. But stabbing someone in the open isnt the greatest idea, but if you are in a huge crowd it doesnt make much differance anyhow.

No, it does not make it any more difficult to determine the cause of death. People will still notice the hole thats pumping out blood.

Again, not really. Guy gets stabbed-bleeds out = guy gets stabbed-bleeds out and doesnt feel it.

As I've said, you get a few short seconds before anyone else notices the blood(or the victim does).

Its an effect of dubious use unless the target is alone (where it wouldnt change anything) or you are in public (where its not a great idea to go around stabbing in the first place)
>>
>>44529503
>We need a fine drill variant.
And a needle for stitching.
>>
>>44529545
If you're going to complain about the stitching after getting a painless surgery in a goddamn medieval setting, you're a whiny little bitch.
>>
This is the ultimate prank tool
I would prank the hell out of every single barmaid with this thing
>>
>>44529608

>You stab someone
>They scream, then realize that they're not actually hurting and stare at the blade embedded in their gut
>"Whoa that's cool, is that a trick knife?"
>"Sure is, you been pranked!"
>"Oh nic-" *death due to perforated heart
>"SURPRISE! DOUBLE PRANK!"

10/10
>>
>>44529134
I have a good use for this as a bard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzjMKM9449M
>>
>>44529134
Exceptionally.
>>
File: elf_3.jpg (102 KB, 300x269) Image search: [Google]
elf_3.jpg
102 KB, 300x269
>>44529687
perfect!
>>
>>44529236
Because the person who you stabbed wouldn't feel it. They'd continue on as normal until the blood loss got to them.

Normally, they'd be all, "AAARGH! I've been stabbed!" and shit and fall over and what not and generally just draw a lot of attention.
>>
>>44529179
>But it could be super useful for surgery!
This guy's got the right idea.
>>
>>44529134
stab them in the heart and they wont even notice
>>
>>44530249
What actually happens if you stick a dagger in a guy's heart and pull it out again?
>>
>>44529545
Getting stitches in my mouth after most of a wisdom tooth was removed bit by bit was fucking weird.
>>
>>44530267
i dont know ive never killed anyone.
>>
File: 0037.jpg (34 KB, 191x851) Image search: [Google]
0037.jpg
34 KB, 191x851
>>44530267
Someone went digging through some medical literature to find out, or rather, to see if it's possible for the guy to not just drop dead on the spot:

http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php

Follow-up for other target locations:

http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/kill2.php
>>
>>44530267
The circulatory system is pressurized to a degree, which allows the blood to continue pumping rather than pooling. Usually from an arterial wound (arteries have a strong pressure) blood spurts in time to the heart beat.
>>
>>44529134
surgery
>>
>>44530267
Color Spray (red) for 0 damage on everyone in victim's front arc.
>>
more usefull on monsters than people. Giant beast taking a nap on its treasure horde? slowly saw its leg off or poke its eyes
>>
>>44530610
>more usefull on monsters than people

Have you forgotten prostitutes?
>>
>>44530170
>They'd continue on as normal until the blood loss got to them.
Or until they smelt or felt the blood.
>>
>>44530610
also this kind of stuff would be great for traps, player things they disarmed the trap and cut the wire. nothing happens, but five minutes later they find a dagger in their ass
>>
>>44530663
Where's the fun if they don't wake up?
>>
>>44530673
Once when wearing welding gloves I filled my right glove with a half pint of blood without noticing after I was cut by a sheet of aluminum mesh
>>
>>44529134
Sneak attack time!
>>
>>44529134
If they can't feel the pain they can't scream

I'll take 3
>>
A knife wound isn't instant death. If you stab someone, it will take time for them to bleed out. How long it takes varies, with heart and brain injuries obviously being the most lethal. Granted the longer the wounded takes to seek medical attention the worse off he'll be, and in this case your proposed dagger would indirectly increase lethality. However even if there isn't any pain a mortal wound like that is bound to cause cardiovascular shock and THAT will be noticeable. Remember: pain is a signal your body uses to tell you something is wrong, it does nothing to speed up or slow down death.
On another note, poison would work well with such a blade, but in that case why bother? Go with what some of the other anons said about medical applications. Seriously, that would be awesome.
>>
>>44529134
I remember once playing a surgeon character who acquired painless surgical instruments (due to the weirdness of the system it's actually a lot more efficient than proper magical healing). I once raised with the DM if I could sneak up and stealthily decapitate someone with it the bonesaw, which I've used in the past as an improvised weapon when an enemy requires enchanted weapons to harm, and they ruled that they'd feel something, just not pain, so they wouldn't react as fast.
>>
>>44529134
In an out-and-out fight it would be fantastic. People in fights tend to be too busy trying to concentrate through a whirlwind of fear and rage to take stock of their health. That's one of the reasons that pain is important. Without it, you'd have no clue how injured you were, and would neglect to properly defend yourself.

Imagine fighting someone, becoming confident that your foe is a whimp who can't commit to an attack, and then suddenly feeling faint for no reason. Or worse, slipping on the blood running from your femoral artery.
>>
>>44529198
just wait until it's raining before you start stabbing.
>>
I'd finally have the courage to slit my wrists.
>>
>>44529134
Find a way to enchant the dagger to heal people stabbed with it, and you can now shiv random passerbys with reckless abandon to good health. Of course the damage done has to be less than the healing by a fair amount.
>>
>>44529134
Stab someone you know will isolate themselves in a discreet place. Wait a couple minutes and BAM, instant closed room mistery.
>>
>>44533603
Just get a helium tank you pussy. Or use a noose like a normal person.
>>
>>44529134
Extremley usefull for surgery and assasinations.
You bump into someone and stab them.
They don't sense it and think you only bumped into them.
Few minutes later they are bleeding out on the street.
>>
>>44529477
"This weapon makes wounds that are hard to heal"
Put that on a land mine
>>
>>44537527
"Someone stabbed this person before they locked themselves in the panic room. This is not a difficult mystery."
>>
>>44540852
>This weapon makes wounds that are hard to heal
This makes perfect sense, since it's usually in settings that also contains healing magic than can be used in combat or high speed regeneration. Then it's a leg up on the battle of attrition.
>>
>>44529687
IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO
>>
>>44529134
Does this effect cover the entire duration of that wound or only during it's infliction? If you stabbed a dude in the leg with that they're gonna feel it when they try to walk on it.
>>
Well I think this might actually change the outcome of combat pretty drastically.

On one hand, pain is bad : your instinct takes over when you're hurt and sometimes makes you do stupid crap.

But pain is also super useful. How can you know you're not supposed to put all your weight on that injured leg if you can't feel pain.
You also wouldn't have the reflex to get away from the knife as soon as it pierces your skin., resulting in a deadlier injury.

I have lost sensitivity in some part of my right hand. You wouldn't believe how much I hurt myself by accident and how paranoid it makes me sometimes.
>>
IIRC some old lady once came home and found out somebody had stabbed her in the back with a knife because it was still in her. She hadn't felt it.
>>
>>44530724
This. I don't know what it is about welding gloves but they seem to make hand injuries fade from notice.

Even worse when this happens on new glove day.
>>
>>44540852
triangular bayonets were banned because the wounds are so hard to fix.
>>
>>44529134

A beautiful suicide weapon, handed down from one suicidee to another.
>>
File: tumblr_mt5pb61jIA1rmrojmo1_400.jpg (44 KB, 341x450) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt5pb61jIA1rmrojmo1_400.jpg
44 KB, 341x450
>>44529134
If someone cuts their finger with this knife, then pulls on it to tear it further, do they feel the tear?
>>
>>44545070
Yes, Bones. Because you're not inflicting the tear with the knife.
>>
File: skeleton-laptop-370x229.jpg (18 KB, 190x227) Image search: [Google]
skeleton-laptop-370x229.jpg
18 KB, 190x227
>>44545102
Well then, wonderful! That means if you stab me with this, I will not feel the initial wound, and due to the nature of solid and hard material such as bones, the cracks will be what I feel, rather than the initial action of being wounded. Checkmate fleshbags! Nothing will stand in the way of our skeleton army!
>>
>>44545070
No, bones. The wound is what is not felt. As long as it's the same wound inflicted by the knife, there's no feeling, even if you pull on it to make it worse.
>>
>>44530217
>>44529179
You'd probably still need to knock the patients out anyway. People tend to freak out upon seeing their own internal organs, for some reason.
>>
>>44545307
See, I would have thought that tearing the wound open further would be wounding previously unwounded flesh. So, the intial wound doesn't hurt, but the parts that you've just ripped open would.

Is it bad that I really wanted to test this theory by giving someone a Glasgow smile?
>>
>>44530343
What an impractical useless knife. Anyone who's ever cleaned an animal knows how easy it is to get a normal knife stuck in bone, those barbs would just mean losing your knife.
>>
>>44545342
Let them wear a blindfold. Or just you know... block the los. It's not like local anesthetics are fictional things.
>>
>>44530724
Adrenalin also hides pain really well. When I was a kid crashed my bike against another cyclist and fell hard to the ground. After that we both got back up and took off. When I got to my home my mom shrieked when she saw a trail of blood all over my left leg. I had a nasty cut I that I didn't even realise (or hurt) until my mom made me notice.
>>
>>44529687
I never understood Drow humor.
>>
>>44545498
I don't think it's a knife. I think it's a grill fork. Possibly a coal poker.

Possibly an art project.
>>
>>44529477
Because if makes people shit themselves if they face the prospect of fighting you.
You can steel yourself for death, but the prospect of being left legless, with no bladder control and one functional arm isn't the sort of thing most people like to visualise.
>>
Actually detrimental in combat. Would you rather fight an enemy who is wounded and feeling pain or a man who is filled with adrenaline and confidence from his apparent invincibility.
>>
>>44529687
Fucking gnolls.
>>
>>44531550
Nah, that's just retarded. If anything, all-out attack with no regards to their injuries from your opponent is MORE likely to get you killed, not less. Especially if they won't even slow down when you stab them because they feel no pain.
>>
>>44529134
>apply poison
>stab and walk away
>>
>>44546327
People tend not to all-out attack if they see that their foe has a dagger, or even a knife. Not at first, anyway. I would imagine that most of the time they'd be more conservative and try to test your defenses first. As much as they want to hurt you, they don't want to get too severely hurt themselves. Although this goes out the window in an RPG or vidya where health is just the number of "freebies" you get in a fight.

This is, of course, assuming that your enemy is rational and in a stable state of mind. Police men have been killed in fights with coked-out dudes specifically because those guys can ignore pain.

I'll admit it's a double-edged sword in some situations, but it can be used to give you a huge advantage.
>>
>>44529134
mercy killing and assassinations in public.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.