[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honor is the Streets, Duty in the Sheets Edition Links htt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 1444847616757.jpg (710 KB, 1600x1178) Image search: [Google]
1444847616757.jpg
710 KB, 1600x1178
Honor is the Streets, Duty in the Sheets Edition

Links
https://sites.google.com/site/mistralceleste/TRPG/l5r/resources

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vx477quhxz4vt/Regend5Ling#btf4cvsidtj6f

What's your favorite clan? Why?
What do you want to see in the reboot?
What should be taken out forever?
Is there a company would you have preferred to take over, or are you fine with Fantasy Flight?
What's the best bit of advice for GMs new to the game?
What's the best bit of Advice you can give to players?
What's that samurai you've always wanted to make but never got the chance to?
What was the story of your last PC?
>>
>>44529097
>What's your favorite clan? Why?
Monkey, fortune favors the bold and Scorpion waifus.

>What do you want to see in the reboot?
The last few years of metaplot gone, let the taint either be a very real thing to worry about again with Spiders being an insidious fake clan that might be going legit, or go with a more Asian folklore sort of deal where there's no arch agent of darkness other than the lying darkness. Oni and other things become more spirit like things of the natural world.

>What should be taken out forever?
Daigotsu/Fu Leng being good.

>Is there a company would you have preferred to take over, or are you fine with Fantasy Flight?
I like FFG, though I'm worried how much crazy dice they'll come up with for it.

>What's the best bit of advice for GMs new to the game?
Have a plan or at least a theme for the game, and in some way communicate it to the players before hand so they have an idea of what to expect. No one likes going Courtier in a war game. Also, don't over due the ninja/scorpion inevitable betrayal.

>What's the best bit of Advice you can give to players?
Talk with your GM about for character and what you expect for them.

>What's that samurai you've always wanted to make but never got the chance to?
Probably a tortoise jew merchant or Mantis pirate.

>What was the story of your last PC?
Suffering.
>>
I don't know if I like the idea of Fantasy Flight taking over until I actually see what they poop out.
Sometimes they're good, but on the other hand, Elemental Dice, or worse, Clan Dice (With imperials, minor clans, and ronin told to go fuck themselves) both sound like really bad ideas that could easily make whatever guy at FFG has a fetish for special dice have to change his underwear every time he walks into the office.
>>
>>44529097
Forgot the title of the thread.
>>
>>44529550
>Asian folklore sort of deal where there's no arch agent of darkness other than the lying darkness. Oni and other things become more spirit like things of the natural world.

I agree.
>>
File: 1402836730968.jpg (385 KB, 700x1000) Image search: [Google]
1402836730968.jpg
385 KB, 700x1000
>>44529097

>What's your favorite clan?
Crane or Lion

>Why?
I prefer my samurai to behave like samurai

Preferable a more beginner friendly way to introduce more characters, more campaign modules and more tools for players to better build their samurai.

Card Game bullshit. RPG players shouldn't have their lore be at the whims of a tournament. A separate story line for the card game and fr the RPG could be fun however.

...also fuck the spider clan.

>Is there a company would you have preferred to take over, or are you fine with Fantasy Flight?
I've never been a fan of Fantasy Flight, however I'm very happy it's not wizards.

Make sure your players know they're playing L5R, not samurai DnD. Rokugan can be fun, but it's not a place for morderhobos.

Understand Bushido and etiquette to the best of your ability. You should only be breaking these things because you WANT to, not because you didn't understand them correctly or forgot.

Kakita Duelist Yobimbo hunting for revenge on a Scorpion who framed his father into seppuku.

She was an Akodo Bushi who dreamed of an honorable death that would cover for her failure in protecting some peasants in a border conflict. She started off as impulsive and began to get downright suicidal, trying to try her life away to help those around her, regardless of the risk to herself. In the end she managed to achieve it by holding off the BBEG's right hand man so the entire party could escape with some doomsday scroll. Not my last, but close enough.
>>
>>44529679
I knew I forgot something, what a shameful display.
>>
>>44529550
I prefer the shadowlands and the taint being right where it is.
If you want more mystical crazy mountain spirits, then clearly the Crab have been doing a good job lately and it's some crazy mountain beasty (Probably an ogre or something, but who knows, maybe it's a trickster spirit). If you want to teriyaki flavored Helm's Deep, that's in the cards too, when the Crab aren't doing so hot.
>>
>>44529967
And by right where it is, I mean before Evil Jesus somehow managed to reign it in. Spiritual corruption that eventually manifests as physical corruption which can be spread if you aren't careful. When it becomes less virulent, it completely defeats the point of Jigoku being a greedy motherfucker of a realm.
>>
What's the best book to read to get a clear and concise history of Rokugan?
>>
>>44530197
There isn't one, really. Imperial Histories (And its sequel, IH2) can tell you about a lot of the important eras (And some alternate history stuff), but as far as I know, there's no book with a big timeline of everything.
>>
>>44530197
The RPG 4th edition core book has most of it. The stuff at the very tail end isn't in there, but it's pretty much all garbage anyway, so who cares.
>>
Crab, because muh badass musclewaifus.
>>
My current character is a Yasuki Merchant.

And if I'm not that most Yasuki Yasuki, I'll be damned if I'm not!

I've changed the course of the Empire through my own bullshittery.
>>
File: bayushi_yoichi.jpg (64 KB, 540x398) Image search: [Google]
bayushi_yoichi.jpg
64 KB, 540x398
>>44529097
>Favourite Clan
I'm partial to the Dragon, but I like Fox Waifu
>Why
I enjoy being esoteric and circumspect without being a complete chucklefuck
>Reboot Gimme
Internal consistency
>Reboot do not want
The Destroyer War and how shit went afterwards.
>FFG okay company
Still not sure, I will have to wait and see
>GMs to do list
Know the rules and setting. Make sure your players know the rules and setting. Announce all house rules clearly before characters are made. Make sure everyone knows how whimsical or serious the game will be.
>Players, listen up
Talk to your GM and fellow players about what is appropriate for the game when making a character. Don't be a douche bag. Accept that it is a lethal game and be ready for glorious death.
>Forever GM sorrow
Actually, I have had a chance to play most of the Big concepts I've had. Currently considering a Sparrow on a revolving mushashugyo (He spends every winter on pilgrimage so his family has one less mouth to feed) but he's not well fleshed out yet.
>Last Character
Scorpion "failure". Was kept after class at the dojo, his parents disliked him and refused to acknowledge him. He was supposed to be a yojimbo in court, but the courtier would never show, thus embarrassing him. The way those mean ole Scorpion treated such a polite and honourable Samurai earned him some friends. Which was, of course, the idea...
>>
File: image.jpg (300 KB, 2300x1704) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
300 KB, 2300x1704
>>44529864
Here you go.
Remenber, no screaming.
>>
>>44530881
>I enjoy being esoteric and circumspect without being a complete chucklefuck

I once had a player in a group with me play a Dragon who spoke EXCLUSIVELY in haiku when he wasn't using sentences consisting of only three words or less.
It was honestly really impressive and definitely pretty hilarious, because it took as two whole sessions to figure out why he was talking like that.

>"Hunger gnaws at me./I require sustenance now./I wish us to eat."

Shit like that, for almost everything he ever said at length for the entire game, it was fucking amazing.
>>
File: l5r_12.jpg (65 KB, 540x398) Image search: [Google]
l5r_12.jpg
65 KB, 540x398
>>44533877
I personally preferred metaphors and parables. But propper respect for the great poet.
>>
>>44534329
It was really goddamn impressive.
Might have made more sense if it was a Kikita Duelist (they're pretty hearty-farty), but it was still awesome every time he managed to come up with one.
He once mentioned he was glad the game was over, not because he didn't have fun but because it was really hard thinking up haiku all the time.
>>
Everyone on here needs to read the plot of this movie and tell me it wouldn't make the most badass L5R campaign.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Reincarnation

>"Bloodspeaker sorcerer returns as immortal antichrist, he goes through Rokugan resurrecting famous undead samurai from earlier in the setting as his evil pawns! You must Megaman your way through them to save all of Rokugan!"
>>
File: samurai_battou_by_mycks-d32hn2t.jpg (192 KB, 806x992) Image search: [Google]
samurai_battou_by_mycks-d32hn2t.jpg
192 KB, 806x992
>>44534566
Did he get extra xp or anything? Because that is impressive.
>>
>>44534712
That was fairly close to the plot used by Iuchiban the first time.
Which is why there are now only cremations.
>>
>>44534733
He did, role playing XP because of how badass it was.
>>44534881
Fuck, it IS isn't it?
And the Bloodswords being evil enough to hurt Fu Leng (or at least the Shards of Ambition were, so I'm assuming a full sword could do more damage) is a lot like Makai Tensho's making "a sword so evil that not even other evil could withstand it".

But Makai Tensho's real claim to fame isn't that they're undead zombies; they're basically just I lullabies versions of themselves with their full original personalities and skills and wills totally subverted to serving Amakusa Shiro.

Did Iuchiban ever do that?
>>
File: sudoku.jpg (109 KB, 394x394) Image search: [Google]
sudoku.jpg
109 KB, 394x394
Honorable bump
>>
Did anyone here hear about how AEG had already completely replaced L5R with a remarkably-similar looking CCG?
One with a title that is abbreviated "Letter-Number-Letter", looks nearly identical to L5R and is some kind of L5R/Burning Sands hybrid in a Western Fantasy setting?

Sheesh.

http://www.alderac.com/r9e/
>>
>>44540228
So they had to sell off one property because of totally incompetent mismanagement just to replace it with another?

Goddamnit, AEG.

I'm so happy L5R is no longer in their hands.
>>
>>44529097
I like all of them for different reasons.

Pretty much the same thing everyone else wants: Total retcon of everything after the Destroyer war.
What I'd REALLY want? Totally retcon of fucking everything from day fucking 1 of the CCG decided history.

Spider.

Given all the alternatives FF is probably the best choice for taking over an already established IP, as long as they don't fuck the RPG up with some bullshit peripherals required to even play the game or speshul snoflake dice.

Don't listen to /tg/.

Don't listen to /tg/.

There are DOZENS, because I'm a forever GM.

I'm a forever GM.
>>
>>44540271
Fucking right?
I was gonna order the Atlas from them just out of pure nostalgia (and because there's probably never going to be a pdf), then I saw that on their site and thought "fuck it, I'm ordering this shit off Amazon".

I did and it was thirteen bucks cheaper, even with shipping.
>>
File: 1399037749288.jpg (27 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1399037749288.jpg
27 KB, 300x225
Battle Maiden Bump
>>
Which clan produces the best waifus?
>>
>>44542753
Every damn thread.
>>
>>44542753
Crane
>>
>>44542753
>>44542790
The REAL question is, "what Clan produces the waifus that can savagely kill the waifus of other Clans", since all other forms of waifu virtue are irrelevant to Bushido.

For second place, which Clan waifu dies the most and honorably in bloody battle best since that's just as important as fighting?
>>
>>44543015
My vote is for Crab and Unicorn; Crab can out-fight everyone else and have endurance, and Unicorn have some hardcore heavy cavalry charge shit that's good for mowing motherfuckers down.

Matsu get second blade; great on offense but poor on defense means they get dead too fast, but I betcha a Matsu goes down with two other people when they finally take her down.
>>
>>44542991
Mmm...too weak. Crane are lightweight Yamato Nadeshiko, but lacking the necessary spine the ideal is supposed to have.
Also, I'm sure if the Yamato Nadeshiko ideal is even really relevant in a culture where samurai-ko are expected to follow Bushido the way men do; they need to do fight and die like everyone else does as well as everyone else does to have maximum waifu score in Rokugan.
>>
>>44542753
>>44542991
>>44543015
>>44543051
>>44543120
>clan waifus
Pathetic.

Everyone knows the little miko who gets super nervous and flustered every time you come to check up on her village after saving it from bandits is the best waifu.
>>
>>44543214
Miko have a significant downside in Rokugan of being a very, very marginal part of the backround. I think they've been mentioned off-handedly all of once in the fluff.
Which actually makes a sort of sense; miko are something like part-time, semi-dedicated Shinto priests, which is sort of meaningless in Rokugan when most actual Shinto priests are shugenja, and thus samurai and belong to a family and clan.
>>
>>44543286
That only enhances the moe factor.

>Samurai-senpai noticed me!
>>
>>44543286
How the fuck did Japan keep all of it's local religions straight and stop them from killing each other?

>Zen Buddhist monks
>Sohei
>Yamabushi
>Shinto priests
>>
>>44543286
>miko are something like part-time, semi-dedicated Shinto priests
Only in modern times. If we use ancient miko as the source material for Rokugan they'd pretty much end up being of one of those ronin Shugenja schools.
>>
>>44543298
There is no moe in Rokugan.
Moe is soft and weak, and therefore not Bushido.
>>44543319
If how the sohei acted and the Ikko-ikki and especially the Shimabara Rebellion are any indication, they DIDN'T kill them from killing each other.
>>44543321
Yeah, I figure most miko would really just be Clan shugenja, full stop. Miko work differently when shugendo works the way it does in Rokugan.
>>
>>44543214
She is mistressfu material at best.
Duty demands one MARRY a Clan waifu.
>>
>>44542651
>Horse fucker bump
Fixed that for you
>>
>>44543319
Well the first three things you mentioned are all part of Buddhism, and #2 and #3 are different names for the same thing depending on your kanji choice, "yamabushi" is also a name for shugenja (COMPLETELY fucking different from L5R's shugenja, which are just not a fucking thing at all).

When Buddhism first came to Japan they did kill each other, it was not a peaceful introduction by any means, as the heavily Shinto kuge families felt that this new faith was a threat to their positions in the court. Eventually to stop the fighting the Ryobu-Shinto doctrine was introduced, which, to GROSSLY simplify things, said that Shinto and Buddhism were just somehow different faces of the same faith (effectively, shinto gods were actually Buddhas and Buddhas were actually shinto gods. Again, GROSS oversimplification). Ryobu-Shinto wasn't repealed until the Edo period, and it just fucked everything up when it happened because by this point most shinto shrines fell under the purview of Buddhist temples and everyone had been believing there was no significant "separation" between the two for well over a thousand years.

Also Buddhists had no problem arming up and killing each other despite what the hippies tell you.
>>
>>44543472
>Buddhists had no problem arming up and killing each other
Yeah, the Ikko-Ikki pretty much deserved what they got.
>>
>>44529097
Lion in general, Matsu in particular, because I have a hard-on for muscular amazonian women.

Take out the recent metaplot fluff. Go back to Toturi I.

Everything after Toturi I.

FFG is fine, they seemed to do a decent job with Dark Heresy.

Make sure the rules of etiquette and society are properly explained to the players, and if they unwittingly perform a faux pas, tell them so OOC and ask them if they really want to do this. Give them a few mulligans.

Don't get too attached to your character.

Pretty much all of them, I can't find a game.

Mantis-clan bushi who wanted to be a healer instead of a warrior. She took skills that let her mix medicine and hired an eta servant to perform surgery and other messy tasks.

The campaign ended after a session.
>>
>>44543508
Yeah, I mean, a bunch of people trying to live in peace outside the feudal order? Those bastards.
>>
>>44543558
>live in peace
That's a funny way of saying "running around starting fights and killing people in the streets of the capital".
>>
>>44543638
I think you might be confusing the Ikko-Ikki with literally every army that has ever stepped foot in Kyoto since 1333.
>>
>>44543467
Well...yeah.
I mean, we ALL know where that "special bond" the Utaku have from their mounts comes from.
>>
>>44543472
Yeah, Yamabushi in Rokugan are a specific family of warrior shugenja the dragon have.
Though perhaps that sort of makes sense since "yamabushi" is basically the equivalent of "mountain man" and having all shugenja be yamabushi makes a little less sense when a lot of Clans don't have mountains to seclude them in.

Then again naming all of their spellcasters "shugenja" was just moronic shit they took from D&D's Oriental Adventures.
>>
>>44543699
IIIDF please go
>>
Will the reboot be actually like ancient China and Japan, or will it still be a wannabe weeaboo's imagination's version
>>
>>44543748
Oriental Adventures can die in a fucking fire.
>>
>>44543703
Same reason why Otaku didn't like men. She couldn't be satisfied by mere human cock anymore.
>>
>>44543699
No, the Ikko-ikki were actually fairly violent.
Not THE most violent group (their leader actually sort of distanced himself from that aspect of it at times), but they went out of their way to attack people a lot of the time.

Really they were no better or no worse then any other group in the Sengoku Jidai, just another little faction trying to hold onto it's piece of territory while everything was falling apart; they were just religiously inclined instead of secular.
>>
>>44543759
It's true though, the Ikko Ikki fled Kyoto in 1471, meanwhile ransacking Kyoto is pretty much par of the course for most of samurai history.

Most, if not all, of the fighting in Kyoto during the Onin war were samurai running around looting and pillaging the city while angrily staring at one another from across the streets.

Kyoto was a hellhole probably since the Kamakura shogunate fell.
>>
>>44543748
>>44543766
1e OA had far more accurate depiction of Shugenja than L5R did. L5R's shugenja are just completely out of left field.
>>
>>44543765
Well, it's hard to be like Japan AND China.
China and Japan have really strongly different cultures due to some really basic core philosophical differences between them, even if they were fairly close in the Heian Period in some ways.
>>44543766
Yes, yes it can.
The sad thing is, for all that L5R wasn't trying to be D&D, you can see how much of their terminology and ideas they directly lifted from it without doing any research; stuff like shugenja as spellcasters or tengu-like beings called "kenku" and being more bird then human don't really have any equivalents anywhere in Japan or Asia...but definitely can be found in Oriental Adventures.
>>
>>44543823
Sure, but it's also kinda mechanically *terrible.* Hence the hate; I make no comment of the fluff.
>>
>>44543852
Kara-Tur would be a better oriental RPG setting than L5R in every way if it wasn't for the fact it tried to have two different Japans, one Edo period, and one Sengoku period.
>>
>>44543804
You gotta wonder how the kuge kept their illusions of self-importance and keepers of the culture with all the shit that kept going down.
Then again the Austro-Hungarian Empire genuinely seemed to think it was winning and that it was an effective empire throughout the entirety of World War 1 even though they achieved exactly nothing and had no actual victories even compared to how little was gained in that conflict and had by far the most backward military in Europe.

I guess it's easy for wealthy people to insulate themselves from shit they don't want to hear.
>>
>>44543703
>Does anyone have screencapped L5R stories to share ? That comment reminded me of the horse seppuku thread.
>>
>>44543890
>You gotta wonder how the kuge kept their illusions of self-importance and keepers of the culture with all the shit that kept going down.
The simple fact is: they didn't. They either made nice with the Daimyo or they lived in squalor enjoying the Emperor's view of the countryside.
>>
File: naomasa-armour.jpg (33 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
naomasa-armour.jpg
33 KB, 400x600
>>44543873
Hey, at least it put them on different islands.
I wonder if the Sengoku group mentioned that not only were the states warring but that they were in constant competition for having the most awesome hats?

Rokugan's downplaying of samurai efforts to have the most awesome hat are kind of disappointing to me.
>>
>>44543939
Oh, or they hung out with the clergy.
>>
>>44543942
Two things to note about the Hat Wars:
1) They were often not actually worn in battle, they were either for parades, or even actually mounted on poles and used as standards.
2) A lot of the crazier examples we have today were made for tourists flooding into Japan at the beginning of the Meiji period using antique helmets.
>>
File: Noae_Kanetugu_Yoroi.jpg (407 KB, 1122x2952) Image search: [Google]
Noae_Kanetugu_Yoroi.jpg
407 KB, 1122x2952
>>44543976
That's depressing.
I'd respect the guy who has the balls to run around a battlefield with the word LOVE written on his head in gold.
>>
>>44529097
people forget to add titles to their threads.

is that a mobile thing, or do we have a large number of children/niggers on /tg/ now?
>>
File: PC2088.jpg (157 KB, 829x850) Image search: [Google]
PC2088.jpg
157 KB, 829x850
>>44543942
>>44544089
Damn, and I thought Date's was ostentatious-looking, running around with a Gundam-V on his forehead.
>>
File: YUecU.jpg (27 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
YUecU.jpg
27 KB, 350x400
Man, I sure hope FFG's Rokugan has constant samurai battles comparing their Hatdicks.
>>
>>44544089
Oh no, Naoe Kanetsugu actually did that. And actually the "ai" character may have had nothing to do with love and may have been invoking a Buddhist deity who had an association with that particular character via one of the ways his name is written in Japanese (I forget which one).

Prof. David Eason of UAlbany is, IIRC, still writing a dissertation on it.

>>44544125
Not ALL the helmets are fake, just ones like >>44544178
>>
>>44544186
Given that Kanetsugu originally served under a man who literally became a Buddhist monk even as he was a famous general, it's perhaps not surprising that he'd be wearing his god's name on his forehead.
>>
Hey /l5rg/, I'm thinking of playing a Crane. What's your advice for playing one?
>>
>>44544125
....the Gundam-V was invented from a daimyo's helmet originally? Fuck, seriously?
>>
>>44544298
A one-eyed, taiko drum-playing, home-cooking, poem-composing, brilliant general, guy who build modern ships so he could visit the Pope in Italy daimyo no less.

Date Masamune was a pretty odd guy even if you by normal historical records of him.
>>
>>44544297
Which family of Crane?
This is important.
>>
>>44544297
There's two major routs to playing a Crane, haughty douchebag or CraneBro.

Be CraneBro.
>>
>>44544317
There's a fun story about Masamune that he once attended a tea ceremony with a famous ceremony master, and was given a priceless antique cup to use. At some point he almost dropped the cup, freaked out, and caught it before anything could happen to it. He then stared at it for a moment, lifted it high in the air, and THREW THAT FUCKING CUP ON THE GROUND, shattering it.

He said that in all his life, in all the battles he fought, almost dropping that cup was the single most frightening thing he ever experienced, and he wasn't having any of that shit.
>>
>>44544418
I think that the One-Eye Dragon is what happens when you take a smart and talented guy then give him a position where he's taken care of but nothing is expected of him personally because of whatever factor (in his case a childhood disease), then give him a ton of responsibility all at once.

A guy like that develops a bunch of hobbies and doesn't take anything seriously, because he doesn't have to.
Then suddenly he's given responsibility and he treats war and rulership like just one more of his many, MANY hobbies, and still maybe takes shit not as seriously as he should.

This is a guy who Ieyasu Tokugawa though could serious challenge his Clan even during the Edo Period because he did stuff like not come to Ieyasu's birthday parties (making Ieyasu think Date was plotting against him) when the real explanation was that he was at home being hungover after getting drunk as fuck one night with his samurai for fun.

It's pretty hard to find a guy as weird as him in such huge positions of leadership in real life.
>>
>>44544506
He was like the Teddy Roosevelt of feudal Japan.
>>
>>44544336
Probably Kakita or Doji.
>>
>>44544540
That's a pretty apt description; he's one of the few historical figures of that period who really needed very little embellishment because his real-life personality was hugely memorable and most fiction (if anything) TONES DOWN how out there he was personality-wise.

But he did not put motorcycle handlebars on the back of his horse and did not speak Engrish like Terry Bogard, unfortunately....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkLA-5j0AA
>>
>>44544653
>But he did not put motorcycle handlebars on the back of his horse and did not speak Engrish like Terry Bogard, unfortunately....
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!
>>
>>44529097
>Honor is the Streets, Duty in the Sheets Edition
I don't even know what this thread is about, but I love this.
>>
>>44544584
>Doji
You are the more regal and influential family in Rokugan, and everyone knows it and so do you. You might be able to a bunch of generations back trace your lineage to a Hantei by marriage or something.
You are polite, because you invented politeness, and you are regal because you are the person who decides what being "regal" is, and you are always in the "it crowd" because you decide who's in the it crowd.

If you are a woman you probably know how to do the perfect Japanese Bitch Laugh.
>"OOOOOH-HOHOHOHO!"

Also, you are pretty fabulous.

>Kakita
You are perfect, but you WORKED YOUR ASS OFF to get there, it wasn't handed to you.
Nothing except being perfect at whatever you do is good enough for you, so you put the appropriate amount of effort into everything, even if it's a messy activity like killing a dude with a sword; you have to be Mozart crossed with Rembrandt with that sword, no excuses.
You're maybe a little bit condescending to other people about it, because you damned well earned how good you are and you don't mind them knowing about it, but you're still pretty polite because being rude isn't being perfect anymore.

Also, you are still pretty fabulous.

These are the basic stereotypes of the family.
>>
>>44544673
>PUT YA GUNS AWWWN!"
>>
>>44544731
It's L5R General without the title.
And it's because you fight for Honor in the streets because Bushido, and then you go home and close your eyes and you fuck that wife you were arranged to marry before you even hit 17 so she can have a baby and the family can continue because you will DO YOUR DUTY LIKE A MAN.

Going to a geisha later and crying about it is optional, nobody will blame you and nobody will know.
Unless she's working for the Scorpion Clan.
Then everyone will blame you and everyone will know.
>>
>>44544855
>Then everyone will blame you and everyone will know.
False. No one will blame you and no one will know, but for some reason that one Scorpion's offhand comments about everyday things are starting to hit a little close to home and are making you nervous...
>>
>>44544885
>Scorpion: "So, I hear you're having wife troubles?"
>Lion: "What?! Who told you that! That's bullshit! I challenge you to a duel!"
>Scorpion: "You can't, I poisoned your wine."
>Lion: *dies*
>Other Scorpion: "JUST AS KEIKAKU. Why did we poison him anyway?"
>Scorpion: "I dunno, the story team never knows how the hell to get across devious and plotting so we actually do shit like this a lot now that I think of it."
>>
>>44544966
Yeah, they do shit like that with every clan. If you look at just the fictions and not their descriptions you'd swear all the clans' roles were completely the opposite of what they're supposed to be.

Again, thank fucking god AEG isn't in charge anymore.
>>
>>44545075
Speaking of hilarious Scorpion bullshit, I have an anecdote from an older game!

>One of the players is a Moto Bushi. Great fighter, not too bright.
>He has a Sworn Enemy and Heart of Vengeance towards the Scorpion Clan and is generally really paranoid about them. Said paranoia comes from one of his ancestors dueling a Scorpion and being killed, but not before killing his attacker too.
>Everything is a Scorpion Plot to him. They're totally out to get him but he's always on his guard and so they never will.
>This comes up every session and it becomes a joke among the group that he's basically Tinfoil Hat Guy in the group, which amuses all of us.
>We get to Zakyo Toshi at some point during our investigations to meet a contact for information. Said contact turns out to be a Bayushi.
>Immediately Moto guy is paranoid as fuck.
>The Bayushi turns to him during the conversation and says; "My guess is you underpaid the inn fee earlier, right?"
>Moto Tinfoil: "What? No I didn't."
>Bayushi Troll: "OR DID YOU!?"
>Moto Tinfoil: "Uh...maybe?"
>Bayushi Troll: "JUST AS KEIKAKU!"
>*Moto runs away screaming to pay off his debt at the inn before the Cunning Plot can come to fruition.*
>Me: "What was that about?"
>Bayushi Troll: "I have no idea. It seemed like he'd be fun to mess with so I did."
>>
>>44529097
Dragon, Duelists, and tattooed monkmen.
The card game I love to still be intact
daigotsu/fuleng being "good"
AEG having the balls to reset everything would have been fine with me personally, I like how they treated the community slightly better.
Have a plan on why your party will be there doin stuff together.
Im ccg player mostly, so don't be afraid to lose a province or 2.
All dex no void Kakita Duelist
Usagi Bushi who kick his problems
>>
File: Badger-Clan-Mon.jpg (79 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Badger-Clan-Mon.jpg
79 KB, 1500x1500
So with all the change ups, what is going to happen to the minor clans? My favorite clan being the Badger (If they still exist since they are always getting destroyed).

Captcha: Pic of Mountains. It knows!
>>
>>44546074
Nobody knows!
All we know right now is that FFG is dumping the CCG to make an LCG, and they won't be touching the RPG or anything else until that's done.
We don't know what part of the timeline they'll be setting the core of their LCG in (Although the very concept of an LCG requires the core set to be built off of with later sets, so smart money is on either just before something big happens or a non-era that is generic enough to be integrated into later, era-specific sets). We don't even know if they're keeping the timeline as it currently is, rolling it back to a point that's less stupid, or rebooting it entirely.
>>
>>44546074
I just hope they keep the revived Boar Clan. Boars (both the actual thing and the samurai) are pretty hardcore.
>>
>>44546074
>>44546478
I hope they keep the Minor Clans too, they're such a great piece of fluff.
>>
What is the point of the other spirit realms?
Like how could you utilize things like Gaki-do, Meido, Yume-do and so on?
>>
>>44547633
Eh not all of them.
I can't really understand the significance behind the Moshi and Kitsune struggling against Mantis assimilation with each new daimyo.
>>
>>44547716
Mosts of them are just there for verisimilitude. Meido is where you go immediately after dying to be judged, Gaki-do is where they send people who deserve to be punished (But not those who actively conspired with Jigoku, they get thrown into Jigoku instead), Toshigoku is where those who can't be redeemed (But aren't Jigoku material) go, Yume-do is where all dreams happen (And even gods dream, so it connects literally everything), Chikushudo is where animals go back and forth from, Tengoku is where the celestial bureaucracy runs things from, Yomi is where you go if you successfully completed your destiny and became an honored ancestor, and going there is the "win" condition in the eyes of most samurai, Sakkaku is literally a giant joke being played on the rest of creation, and Maigo no Musha is where you end up if your destiny gets completely thrown off track by outside forces and Emma-O has to put a big, fat N/A on your judgement papers.
>>
>>44548246
No I know that but it just seems like they have no real influence on the game outside of a few. Right like until the Mantis got involved Sakkaku's existence was just sort of empty and pointless to devote space to talk about it.

That -sort of- changed when they came up with Orochi riders.
>>
>>44540228
>http://www.alderac.com/r9e/
Thought Romance of the Nine Empires was some fixed thing they did to tie in to some indy gaming movie?

Have to wonder if they realized that they had burned a few bridges too many with L5R in recent years, and that they could make more money with Doomtown Reloaded and infinitely making Smash Up and Love Letter releases.
>>
>character you've always wanted to play

I've always wanted to play a boar clan samurai from the Lair pretending to be a ronin, but it's always seemed too snowflaky.
>>
>>44548389
A lot of them just aren't relevant most of the time. It's not like you can just go to them whenever you want. Even shugenja with distinct and concrete connections to spirit realms can't just open a portal and walk in willy nilly.
Trickster spirits from Sakkaku come over and fuck with people all the time, and sometimes shapeshifters from Chikushudo (Fox shifters in particular) come through for fun, and can be accidentally reached through natural portals in certain deep wildernesses. Gaki-do sometimes spits gaki out into Ningen-do because it's a better way for them to complete their particular punishment. Toshigoku doesn't open often, but particularly nasty battlefields might rip open a hole and release slaughter spirits into the fray. Tengoku would fuck you up for trying to get in without invitation (And won't ever give you an invitation) and only the Dragons care to come out. Meido can be reached sometimes, and you can even hang around there, but if you try to interrupt it, Emma-O bitchslaps you right back out. Yomi is safe to visit if you could actually find a way to do so, but lounging around there is frowned upon, since you should be trying to earn your way in as a mortal. Yume-do is a weird one because literally every single thing goes there in spirit when they go to sleep, all the way from insects to the Celestial Dragon itself. It's also unique in that it's "taint" allows you to control it instead of the other way around, although letting it get to its ultimate stage means you can never leave and become merely part of other being's dreams.
>>
>>44546478
Wait what. I thought boar was extinct aside from those residing in The Lair?
>>
>>44548638
>boar clan samurai from the Lair pretending to be a ronin

Holy shit, are you me?
>>
>>44548760
They revived them. A Mantis samurai descended from them got permission to rebuild the Boar Clan. She got married to some Hida berserker who was the Chosen of the Celestial Dragon.
>>
>>44548775
No, but it would be interesting if a samurai from the old boar clan met a samurai from the new boar clan.
>>
>>44548177
Well, let's see, the Kitsune and Moshi are honourable Samurai while the Mantis are nothing more than a vehicle for the Yoritomo who are scum bag pirates and pretty much sin incarnate.
The Moshi are matriarchal Sun priestess, the Yoritomo are patriarchal storm worshipers. The Kitsune live in harmony with nature and value tradition and lineage whereas the Yoritomo are ambitious and grasping with little regard for heritage or the natural order.
The Fox and Cneitpede are poor fits with the Mantis. Almost as bad as the Wasp. Vigilantes fighting for justice against corruption reduced to the artillery pieces for a clan of gangsters who thrive on banditry and corruption.

There were minor clans who would fit well with the Mantis. The Badger are mighty Warriors, mercenaries who value athleticism and determination. Natural allies for the brawl loving, energetic Yoritomo. The Ox were Kolat minions. The Yoritomo are very nearly the Kolat ideal, again, natural allies. Even the Hare, with their generally extra legal shenanigans (always against a hidden evil), are more reasonable allies to the Mantis.

Why the Tonbo haven't been absorbed by the Dragon, especially now that the Dragon are actually active, is my question.
>>
>>44548985
I think the Tonbo could even be more powerful/important than they're being portrayed as the Lion's constant chew toy.
I seem to recall reading about diamonds in their forest (huge ones) that the clan won't mine because??????
>>
>>44549074
Because they aren't miners.
They lack commercial skill.
They're the vacation resort you stay at while the Dragon decide if they will receive you. It's great for the times when the Dragon are aloof. In times when the Dragon are active, they should be absorbed as the courtier family of the clan (because the Kitsuki aren't courtiers, great investigators, shitty diplomats).
>>
>>44549074
>the clan won't mine because??????
Muh spirits and muh kami. Inexplicable stuff is always Muh spirits and muh kami.
>>
>>44549212
Generally speaking, it's a good idea to not piss off things that can easily cause earthquakes, famines, and droughts.
>>
>>44548985
>the Yoritomo who are ... pretty much sin incarnate.
Good grief! I was pretty sure 'sin incarnate' was the Shadowlands.
The Yoritomo were the 'honourable mercenary' archtype with the whole schtick of 'once hired finish the damn job'. Dedication to a slightly odd job meshes perfectly with the Tsuruchi's whole 'we're not Samurai, but we'll hunt you down' schtick.
>>
>>44549212
Well it is a strange forest, not exactly haunted but very strange things happen there.
But still, at some point it would make sense. The Isawa harvest wood from their haunted forest.
>>
>>44549523
>Well it is a strange forest,
%*%^&$* Is there a forest in the Empire the not 'Strange'?
>>
>>44549589
Some of the small and unnamed ones. Maybe. On certain days of the week, weather permitting.
>>
>>44549702
Exzakery! So 'Strange is hardly a reason to not engage in resource extraction activities'.

Now, if you'll excuse me, like a good Mantis I'll be contemplating my Naval invasion of that province so we can further develop the Empire's Economy. For the Good of the Empire, naturally.
>>
>>44549589
There are differing levels of strangeness: the Isawa woodlands are haunted and magical. Right they think the forest is connected to a bunch of different spirit realms and the Snow Maidens come from there.

The one in dragonfly lands just shows some messed up future visions.
>>
>>44549935
Moshi Hinome knows that snow maidenhood ain't no thang to the Mantis.

Future visions sounds like something we already got covered with that whole Kitsune Prophet arc. So, let's get started with the logging already, I got me some ocean going Kobune to build.
>>
File: 1390115956-0.jpg (78 KB, 600x914) Image search: [Google]
1390115956-0.jpg
78 KB, 600x914
>>44529097
It's simple. We remove the Spider Clan.
>>
>>44550014
Dragonfly have yet to be added to the Mantis.
>>
>>44550112
>Dragonfly have yet to be added to the Mantis.
True, but they have that whole buddy buddy relationship with Togashi's clan and I'd rather not screw up the gold-green/green-gold non-relationship over that. Better off to just invade and make reparations later if it comes to that.
>>
>>44549421
Shadowlands are sin of a different nature; more spiritual. Mantis are still pretty sinful.
>>
>>44529097
Mantis, for...a lot of reasons that would get a bit too wordy if I tried to list it all down. They're just a breath of fresh air and I like the fluff that surrounds them.
A reboot to the beginning of the Toturi era, or the Four Winds era maybe.
SPIDER CLAN
Really no experience with FFG, I was just happy because I was extremely dissatisfied with the current management of the game.
Sit down and talk to your players before you start. L5R tends to go through characters, and I've known a few people turned off with the setting completely because it's highly lethal and they weren't expecting it.
Your characters will probably die unless you get lucky. If you're not game for that, don't jump in for the long haul.
A Phoenix shugenja who's not just MUH MAGIC MUH KAMI. I'll probably get the chance in our next campaign, as my Mantis is marrying into the Phoenix and the GM would probably like it if I played as the child of my current character.
Hare clan bushi with all sorts of forbidden knowledge, who is paranoid because of all the terrible things he knows. Crippled in social situations because of this, but terrifying in an actual fight because 3.0/5 Hare bushi combined with fleet and daredevil were just nuts. Very low honor, though, because his tactics weren't exactly what great stories were made of.
>>
As we all know, many characters start married or have a betrothal lined up for some point in the future, but how often have you seen characters actually get married during the course of a game? Ever have PCs who end up married to each other?
>>
>>44529097
Scorpion because I'm an edgy teenager. Or because I like the core idea of them whilst recognising that the execution is poor.
Less card game lore
Spider as an imperial clan
I like FFG, they can stay
Don't let your players go full kitchen sink, the game works better if your party has a consistent theme and focus.
Hitting first is usually better than hitting hard, wound penalties are hardcore.
I'd really like to make a Bayushi girl who was arranged-married into Matsu, thoroughly embraces the Lion lifestyle and so struggles with being honourable and remaining loyal to Scorpion at the same time.
It was a one-shot so backstory was light, but we were all 'wards ' (read; political hostages) of a Crane lord, we were accompanying him to his hunting lodge when Shadowlands shit turned up looking for a fight. I had a sanic speed Bayushi bushi, I guess I like to think he was the younger brother of the above Matsu-Bayushi girl.
>>
>>44548432
Yeah, Romance of the Nine Empires was a parody of L5R created to tie in with The Gamers: Hands of Fate movie.
>>
>>44551230
>phoenix shugenja who's not just MUH MAGIC MUH KAMI.
Which is the Tamori or Kuni families.
>>
>>44543548
>Make sure the rules of etiquette and society are properly explained to the players, and if they unwittingly perform a faux pas, tell them so OOC and ask them if they really want to do this. Give them a few mulligans.
Good God, this. "Your character would know not to do that" is a thing you have to absolutely be willing to say.
>>
>>44552161
>Phoenix Shug
>Offers Dragon and Crab Families.

Good Show Anon!
>>
>>44552255
nah I'm just saying that phoenix are pretty much stuck being the pacifistic powder kegs; when they aren't you get people like Tsuke and his son.
Who were corrupt and did terrible things.
>>
>>44552461
Oops I forgot the new Master of Fire as well; all three are aggressive and un-Phoenix like and undoubtedly she too will falter and become corrupt in some manner.
Honestly Fire is too problematic an elemental for the Phoenix to master.
>>
up
>>
>>44549421
Yeah, the Yoritomo aren't exactly Honorable, but since Honor is dictated by Bushido which traditional Wasp hate the fuck out of and follow a more Robin Hood-esque justice code Wasp tend to be low honor too.
They're both practical people who made their own way in a world that said they were shit for even trying types of families.
>>
>>44551109
Mantis are just bad at Bushido.
They can be greedy sure, but that's not actually dishonorable; it's just considered "tasteless and gauche" by samurai because commerce is "beneath them".
Never mind that almost all the Clans engage in it (especially the Crane who's Daidoji family have formed one of the only trading guilds in the empire) because they need to to get the shit they want, it's still something "a warrior shouldn't do".

The Tsuruchi and Yoritomo are just not being giant hypocrites about it and so the Great Clans spit on them for it.
>>
TheThree Sins in Rokugan are Fear, Desire, and Regret.
Yoritomo are avatars of desire. Their ambition knows no bounds. It isn't just that they scoff at social mores and other small blasphemies, they are directly motivated by want for what is not theirs.

>>44554158
Where the Tsuruchi discard honour to achieve justice, the Yoritomo discard it for personally gain.
This difference should unreconcilable, but the Mantis have benefitted from only slightly less corporate sponsorship than the Spider.
>>
>>44554541
>Yoritomo are avatars of desire. Their ambition knows no bounds. It isn't just that they scoff at social mores and other small blasphemies, they are directly motivated by want for what is not theirs.

Yeah, just saying that the Great Clans are traditionally COMPLETE SHIT at avoiding ambition and not being grasping, because for regular wars and conflicts you need to WANT THINGS that require taking them by armed force.

Making everything driven by Honor and absurd slights to a Clan's person literally devalues the game's setting because it makes Rokugani act less like actual human beings do, which is a failing even D&D doesn't have.
>>
File: image.jpg (276 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276 KB, 1600x1200
>>44529097
I've always wanted to run a Jedi Old Republic Star Wars game in L5R, focusing on the intruigue within the Jedi order and the sith. Is the material there to do it?
>>
>>44554896
You'd have to rework a lot of things. A *lot* of things. There's a sci-fi setting in Imperial Histories 2 (Emerald Stars) that you could look to for inspiration and such, but you'd have to basically rework all of the school techs and all of the fluff surrounding them to fit with a star wars setting. It's not impossible, mind, but it'd take a lot of work to get it functional.
>>
>>44554896
.....no?
>>
File: Fu_Leng.jpg (216 KB, 655x847) Image search: [Google]
Fu_Leng.jpg
216 KB, 655x847
>>44554713
Except the primary war machine of Rokugani usually driven by slights.
Pretending anyone other than the low honour Crab engage in resource based land grabs is historically inaccurate.

>D&D
Comparing a game system to s specific setting is disingenuous.

>actual human beings
You don't study history much, do you?
Wars have been fought over someone sitting in a forbidden chair. Social context and insults are a driving factor in armed conflict between nations until very recently.
Even now, personal violence on the streets if often ideologically motivated, if not purely for reprisal of someone not showing propper respect. Street violence is the closest thing we have to a modern warrior culture where reputation matters and laws against killing are decoration.

But this is what should be expected from a Mantis apologist, poorly researched mudslinging, vulgarity and a need to use the capslock button for emphasis.
Typical.
>>
New 4e player with questions.

Plan on making an Unicorn not!Khan female archer. Useable or am I going to get mind fucked everytime I step in court.
>>
>>44555416
Any character with at least 1 rank in Etiquette can handle themselves in court. Even the dirty gaijin Unicorn fresh from the burning sands get a crash course on etiquette before being unleashed into Rokugan proper.
>>
>>44555339
I don't even play the Mantis.
I usually played Crab or Crane or Scorpion. I just think you're full of shit.
Taking sides against or for a fictional group of people is so mind-boggling bizarre that I'm having a hard time grasping it in real life and labeling one as the "embodiment of sin" is even weirder.
>>
>>44555486
I don't think there's too many Moto fresh from the Burning Sands anymore after the Scorpion Clan came back with Shinjo, right?
>>
>>44555644
No clue, the Unicorn don't interest me that much, and the newer parts of the timeline interests me even less.
Honorable mention for court survival skills include Courtier (Absolutely essential if you want to do anything more than merely survive at court), Games (of all kinds), Artisan (Poetry especially), Tea Ceremony (Just in case you get invited to one), and Commerce. Almost every skill could be of use in court though. Archery contests are common when the courtiers feel like proving that they do have some amount of combat skill, Sumo is a thing (Using Jiujutsu) debating about strategy and tactics (Lore: War and the Battle skill) is a common pastime, and even stuff like Athletics could be used in contests here or there (Although it's more likely to be against Yojimbo and guards, rather than against diplomats and dignitaries). Basically, just make sure you have Etiquette and a couple skills you could use to publicly pass the time or as a conversation starter.
>>
>>44555416
Since we don't know your build, can't tell you. I assume this is an Utaku Battle Maiden who's also a Yomanri Archer?
>>
>>44555903
I can do that? Also no

Utaku Battle Maiden with 35 exp plus the 20 questions bonus exp which I still need to fill out
>>
>>44556095
You mean 35 exp on top of the normal 40 that all characters get starting out?
>>
>>44556156
Nope. 35 to start
>>
>>44556175
Does the "20 questions bonus exp" equal 5?
>>
>>44556283
Nope. 10
>>
>>44556366
Well, at least it actually is a bonus, then.
Anyway, just get one or two ranks of Etiquette and a couple artistic or interest skills and that should be fine for a bushi in court. I'd suggest using the extra xp for Advantages, but that's just me.
>>
>>44556436
Thanks. I'm about to go to sleep and I hope the thread is up
>>
Keep in mind that as an archer you're also likely to have a high Air ring. With only a few points in etiquette/courtier/whathaveyou, you'll be able to function passably in most courts just on virtue of having higher than average awareness for a bushi.

Having high Air also makes you a fairly competent duelist too, if you think you'll want to invest in iaijutsu on top of everything else. In any case, it's good to have *some* dueling ability in to fall back on in case you end up insulting someone accidentally (or not-so-accidentally). As long as it's not a Crane, anyway, in which case you are boned.
>>
>>44554541
>the Mantis have benefitted from only slightly less corporate sponsorship than the Spider.

You wound me sir! In one line you denigrate years of my and many others hard work.

Yoritomo did not achieve Kami-hood by story team fiat alone, but as the culmination of relentless effort of a dedicated team.
>>
>>44557290
Unlike the Spider Clan who nobody ever liked and yet somehow kept getting promoted.
>>
>>44557337
So very true. Back when it was the Horde I ran them as one of two alternate decks, and studied the lore so it wouldn't sneak up on my characters.

Then if became all dishonest about its nature and I lost interest. Might be part of what I like(d) so much about the Mantis, they were honest with themselves. The champions Palace was an ostentatious display that made no attempt to conceal its nature. Compare and contrast with the House of Doji where even more attention was paid to the finery but they'd lie and claim they were just Humble Servants of the Emperor.
>>
>>44557337
Apparently the story prizes for the last storyline tournaments before the FFG buyout were pretty much "decide how your clan gets fucked and how the Spider get to be awesome."
>>
File: image.jpg (381 KB, 1224x944) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
381 KB, 1224x944
>>44555078
Yeah. I like the baseline though, especially the focus on politics and sword fights. I'd have to invent tables for force powers, as well as different schools of Jedi and Sith orders. I'll post it in 2 years or something.

I really feel like there's a lack of "everyone is a Jedi" games, which is a tragedy. One thing which would be cool would be that masters and padawans can be in the same party, instead of having one be an NPC
>>
>>44557413
You know; reading older fluff in the setting the "roles" of the Clans became less and less clear as the setting changed more and more in the story.
>>44557491
Ugh. That's.....ugh.
It's like doing what Wick did (removing all player agency and involvement), but in a CCG unstead of a of a TRPG.
>>
>>44557564
Just play WEG d6.
>>
>>44529097
>Duty in the Sheets
Please don't shit in your bed, Lion-sama.
>>
>>44558035
What do you think they are, Crab?
>>
>>44558554
Don't be silly. Crab shit in their armor, not in their beds. The smell helps intimidate the oni.
>>
I would really be interested in trying this setting out , unfortunately it would probably be forced upon me to run the game and I'd actually just like to play. Also, I'm unsure if my group would be able to properly play within the setting, and not just go silly or hyper "SHAMEFU DISPRAY". Kind of makes me sad.
>>
>>44529097
Scorpion. Do you even have to ask?
A proper product line and less moneygrabbing. I quit around Celestial. The hobby went to shit. Also, the roleplaying game was way too weeaboo, with the romanticised vision of samurai honour that was not even a reality in Japan up until the 20th century, when the pre-meiji era got romanticised
Spider, unicorn, mantis as they serve no purpose.. Maybe not mantis.
FFG is fine. Look at Netrunner.
Don't allow void shugenja. Leads to metagaming.
Play ronins like you mean it, motherfucker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keian_Uprising
The Keian Uprising, however, I quit due to a woman at the table metagaming with void shugenja. Backstories had to be proclaimed openly at the beginning of the game, and she immediately started using mind-reading jedi tricks on me for no reason. Quit after the first session but not before I dicked her for good.
>>
>>44558777
Man, what IS it about overthrowing the government in Japan that makes people use plans that always begin with "okay, first we start a bunch of fucking fires".
>>
File: Sanbo Kojin helmet.jpg (313 KB, 885x1280) Image search: [Google]
Sanbo Kojin helmet.jpg
313 KB, 885x1280
>>44543942
If only popular culture depicted Kenshin with this helmet instead of a monk's cowl.
>>
>>44558734
It's really hard to find the right group; nobody really much cares about samurai stuff except as a point of parody and humor in America.
Even Japan uses samurai stuff these days to actually just tell a completely different type of story using samurai in a genre that sells better.
>>
>>44559277
Close clusters of primarily wood buildings.
>>
>>44559310
Huh. Fair enough.
>>44559290
His helmet was shaped like Bishimonten?
That's so fucking metal.
>>
>>44559330
That's not Uesugi Kenshin's helmet. It's in way too good condition to be any older than the Edo period.
>>
>>44559302
I once had this extremely vivid dream about a videogame that I think was called Grant Theft Edo in my head and it was like Red Dead Redemption, but with samurai and swordfighting and Shogunate intrigue and heavy deconstruction of the samurai genre and all these awesome minigames and badass shit.

I woke up from the dream excited to play the game the next morning before work, only to realize it didn't actually exist and in all probability never actually would due to general lack of interest in sort of thing in Japan and the US gaming industry.
>>
>>44559393
Have you never heard of the "Way of the Samurai" games?
>>
>>44559412
I have and let me tell you; Japan is shit at making good sandbox games. They just don't understand how, it runs counter to all game design theory in that country with the possible exception of Shigeru Miyamoto and Zelda.

I recently played WotS4 and was struck by how BAD it was; graphics less advanced then a Koei game, wonky controls, no guidance or real effective instruction in the sandbox setting, goofy as FUCK (Dutch lady-knight in shiny golden fantasy armor....in the 1800's? guys with eight foot long modern yakuza hairstyles?), and was basically not very well done.

I liked the first two entries in the series best (especially the second), but there's def some problems with how they build games in that franchise at this point.
Which admittedly might have something to do with the increasingly shrinking gaming market in Japan meaning less and less money and shit coming their way.
>>
>>44559412
>>44559449
Weirdly, I always liked Acquire's Tenchu games.
Kinda wish they'd do more, though after Tenchu Z I might re-think that stance.
>>
>>44559277
they didn't have twitter accounts to complain on

also, fires were a huge fucking deal if they ever got out of control, hence dangerous.
>>44559310
what he said
>>
File: Sendai City Museum Sanbo Kojin.png (415 KB, 269x778) Image search: [Google]
Sendai City Museum Sanbo Kojin.png
415 KB, 269x778
>>44559367
Both the museum and 図説・戦国甲冑集―決定版 (2) stated that the armor was genuine and used by Kenshin.

They disagree on the its age,the museum dates it to the Muromachi while the book dates it to the Azuchi-Momoyma/early Edo.
>>
>>44559449
The WotS series aren't really sandbox games, despite how they're categorized in the west. They're more "choose your own adventure" games.
>>
>>44559624
Most likely Edo period recreations.
>>
File: Sanbo Kojin faces.png (2 MB, 1107x768) Image search: [Google]
Sanbo Kojin faces.png
2 MB, 1107x768
>>44559330
Not Bishamonten but Sanbo Kojin.

>>44559683
I'm just going by what the book/website claims,I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be an Edo period work.
>>
>>44559718
It's not uncommon for Japanese books to lable Edo period recreations of things used by earlier figures as things actually belonging to said figure, even if said figure had been dead for a thousand years.
>>
File: Sengoku Ming helm.jpg (61 KB, 330x624) Image search: [Google]
Sengoku Ming helm.jpg
61 KB, 330x624
>>44559743
Anachronism for the sake of elevating a historical figure isn't exactly rare.

The Japanese sure loved to modify foreign helms. I remember seeing a Ming helm similar to this one with a white tassel and neck guards. The Japanese
>>
>>44559674
I suppose that's fair.
>>
>>44529097
How can you not name your general OP?
How do you fuck up that badly?
>>
File: Tsuruchi_Rin.jpg (50 KB, 660x465) Image search: [Google]
Tsuruchi_Rin.jpg
50 KB, 660x465
>>44554541
>Where the Tsuruchi discard honour to achieve justice

How the hell can you discard honor for justice? Honor IS justice. If anything, you must discard all the cheap excuses and twisted misconceptions the Rokugani samurai have about honor. But that's cool, and it will only make you more honorable and not less.
>>
>>44540228
Romance came out two or three years ago, and everything about he game screamed spoof of.l5r. Name, mechanics, "background story" (15 years of tournaments and player input!).

It only for an expansion last year or something. I have no clue what press they are giving it now, if any, but before the sale l5r it was hardly mentioned after it came out.
>>
File: image.png (450 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
image.png
450 KB, 500x477
>>44560694
It's a little-known fact that the full name of that one Tsuruchi Bushi School is actually;
>The Arrow Knows The Way.....TO JUSTICE!
>>
Crab. Sacrifice and Duty above all else gets me off, as does stoic defence against overwhelming odds, and the Yasuki being samurai mafia Jews is awesome.

Credibility. If ronin suck because the fluff has to match the crunch, then why is the Seppun bushi school so shit?
Mostly I want some kind of 'social combat' reworking to avoid Awareness-stacking supercourtiers dominating everything outside the battlefield with 3 skills and a smattering of Lore skills.

Playable Spider. Spider as anything other than the setting's generic bad guys.

FFG are fine, I don't even know who else you could suggest to be honest.

As has been said, talk to your players. This goes for all systems ever. It is not you vs the players, you are all telling a story together. Let them know the tone of the game, work with them to make characters that will fit the story you have made and will have a chance to make use of their key abilities.

Don't be afraid to fail or for your character to 'lose.' This isn't a video game you're trying to beat, there is often far more fun to be had in fucking up ESPECIALLY in Rokugan, the land of honour and sacrifice; in this setting above most others your character will take the heat for things they didn't do and suffer for it.
Also for the love of all the Kami get your Earth to 3; yes even you, Pacifist Shugenja-san.

Ronin duellist yojimbo.
Miko battle maiden.
>>
>>44560964
A Daidoji serving on the Wall whose squad was wiped out due to the spoiled whims of a Doji scion. He passed the blame onto her and fabricated a story that led to his influencial father calling for her head, yet instead she was made ronin. Despite the betrayal she remained true to her oaths and never spoke the truth of the incident to another soul, even the Sworn Enemy daughter of one of her closest squadmembers who came for her blood. She ended up becoming yoriki to an eccentric Kitsuki who was leading a large Imperial road-building project, and eventually took her own life in seppuku to absolve the other yoriki of blame for their lord's death.
>>
>>44560964
>and the Yasuki being samurai mafia Jews is awesome.

In our house setting for Rokugan that we've been using for awhile the Yasuki are one of the more influential families due to increased internal trade and wealth in Rokugan.
It's kinda nifty exploring an element of the Crab that usually get under-written.
>>
>>44561210
Iron Empire expands on this, the Yasuki along with the Daidoji Trading Council own a shitton of land after the Imperial Edict because of their savvy business acumen.
It's how it should be, imo, but Rokugani economics is NOT something you want to get into.
>>
File: image.png (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.png
13 KB, 400x400

A Mantis Clan bushi named Kakei Saizo no Yoritomo (or just Yoritomo Saizo).
He was a fighter-for-hire and generally might be described as a "samurai pirate bastard", but wasn't really a terrible human being for all that and really liked the lower classes and middle-class folk of the Empire while having a serious chip on his shoulder for yakuza since his brothers were killed by them after falling heavily into gambling debts outside of Yoritomo lands.

A recurring joke was that he waa very flashy but totally tasteless; his personal mon was the kanji for "Bad" (basically meaning "Bad Mother Fucker" in this case), his Storm Kama had pearl inlays on the grips, his pipe was made of valuable hardwood and gold and he basically thought he looked fly as fuck all the time when everyone else thought he looked like an overblown gangster.

He wasn't particularly book-smart but was very good at games (because he could bet on them), surprisingly good at kenjutsu and iaijutsu, and his knowledge of commerce and money-making actually helped the party a lot since none of the other samurai (a Matsu, a Hida, and a Moto) knew how to handle or keep track of money at all.
>>
>>44561252
Yeah, our house setting resembles the Edo Period but with limited foreign trade that massively enriches the Empire while simultaneously messing with it's social structure akin to the Sapphire Throne setting.

We also had guns like Iron Empire but they weren't really in usage by the average samurai (since they just weren't that useful in personal combat) and were more often used by soldiers, ashigaru and mooks with connections.
>>
>>44561389
>Peasants with guns en masse
Tonbo sweating intensifies.
>>
Hey /l5rg/, do you think a like suit of mail armor worn under clothes would be Light armor or ashigaru armor, rules-wise?
>>
>>44561422
No peasants, ashigaru.
Professional soldiers, men-at-arms.
And honestly even then the expense of making teppo for most Clans means the vast majority are found in the Imperial Legions serving the Shogun, not the Clans.
Though the Kaiu Wall is now an artillery-covered deathtrap and hasn't been genuinely threatened by the Shadowlands in over 3 centuries at this point.
>>
>>44560802
In every game I run from here on out, regardless of time period, the wasp will be a minor clan separate from the Mantis, just so I can have a tiny clan of kamen riders present, always
>>
>>44561457
Heimen is heimen, samurai-san.
>>
>>44561426
Ashigaru, I'm guessing since it's made to be concealable it's light mail.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 210x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 210x359
>>44561463
I keep them acting like that even when a PART of the Mantis.
>>44561476
They're budoka technically, as they are professionally trained soldiers who aren't samurai so represent an investment, especially when it comes to trained musket teams and artillerymen.
Plus they're pretty loyal to their samurai and won't screw you over honor or ambition or family feuds since, you know, peasants.
>>44561494
That's what I figured.
The Burning Sands stats for mail armor is TN+7 and is something like marginally superior light armor, but I think that's a full chain corslet and coif and I was going for a chain shirt like the Shinsengumi wore on-duty.
>>
>>44561457
>No peasants, ashigaru. Professional soldiers, men-at-arms.

That's the Budoka. The Ashigaru are conscripts and not professionals.

>>44561426
Neither. It would be tatami armor from the Book of Earth.
>>
>>44561626
>That's the Budoka. The Ashigaru are conscripts and not professionals.

Ah, sorry I got confused there.
In our setting (which takes place around 300 years after the main setting), ashigaru are the post-Sengoku Period foot soldiers who have legitimate training to stand up to massed gunfire as opposed to the Heian Period peasant levies who are just there to stand back and fill out armies while semi-ritualized single combat happens in small groups between samurai.
>>
>>44561626
>Neither. It would be tatami armor from the Book of Earth.

Shit, I didn't see that kusari was included in tatami armor, thanks.
>>
>>44561618
Since when the fuck did samurai have chain mail anyway?
>>
>>44561817
Since always, basically,
The "lamellar armor only" thing is basically wholly inaccurate D&D garbage; samurai stopped using lamellar armor before the 13th century and switched to iron and steel like everyone else.
Though they often made their metal armors LOOK alike lamellar because they loved the visua aesthetics of it, which is kinda funny.
>>
File: Image6.jpg (91 KB, 439x977) Image search: [Google]
Image6.jpg
91 KB, 439x977
>>44561817
Since the same time as the rest of the damn world.
>>
>>44558777
You sound really autistic.
>>
>>44561389
>We also had guns like Iron Empire but they weren't really in usage by the average samurai

Wouldn't the addition of guns make kyujutsu and archery-based guys like the Tsuruchi kind of pointless in-setting?
>>
>>44562086
Not so much, no. Matchlocks like teppo existed side by side with guns during samurai warfare all the time.
Teppo were great at punching through armor and could totally fuck your day up if you were hit by volley fire taking cover behind palisades, but they were less accurate then trained archers (but easier to train) and often had inferior range since their fire couldn't arc and how much range they got was dependent upon how much powder and such you used, which was a pretty sketch thing sometimes with early guns.
Plus, they take FOREVER to reload, which means in personal combat they just aren't practical weapons; you'll get the one guy but if the shot doesn't kill him or you miss or he has friends you better be carrying a sword or your fucked.
>>
>>44562128
>side by side with guns
Side by side with BOWS I meant.
>>
>>44562086
No, a teppo is only useful in a massed battlefield formation situation, or hunting game, it'd be virtually useless in every situation that the kyujutsu focused schools use their bows.
>>
>>44560694
Which is exactly what the based Wasp should do.
However, Bushido includes large amounts of prestation. Etiquette and showing respect to those of station, even when they are corrupt sacks who don't deserve such respect on a personal level.
The Tsuruchi discard the tenants of Bushido which protect the wicked in high places and reward gifted liars with patrons.
They uphold a few tenants with great vigour, much like the Crab and Phoenix do. However, rather than paying lipservice to other tenants, they flat out rebuke them.
Honourable =/= Good
>>
How is the Isawa aren't more prominent in battle plans? Right they've got a ton of shugenja, and even if most of them only know a few offensive spells that would be more than enough to turn the tide in battle.
Why is it that the Phoenix always get their shit kicked by other clans?
>>
>>44562515
They're pacifists and also in the leadership positions of their clan, so nobody can tell them to stop being pacifists.
>>
>>44562344
I once noted that Matsu are one of the most Honorable and Bushido-heavy families, but arguably have more atrocities on their canon record then any other single family in the setting.
>>
>>44562515
Pacifists make shitty war leaders.
>>
>>44562574
But there are elemental shugenja in the Phoenix trained for war. They even get their own special force of accompanying Shiba who specialize in working with them.
>>
>>44562675
Not ALL Phoenix are pacifists, but a decent number of the Clan are.
Rather then being warlike or ambitious like some other Clans, the Phoenix's primary flaw is arrogance, usually in the area of magical research and experimentation.

....also, it feels weird that Phoenix do "magical research" when they're supposed to be priests, but that's a whole different thing.
>>
>>44562844
Priests not being able to deduce what does and doesn't appeal to the spirits that grant them tangible power would be weirder.
>>
>>44562515
They're too busy opening Black Scrolls and practicing more maho than the fucking Chuda to worry about stupid shit like war.
>>
File: Bushido.jpg (176 KB, 500x387) Image search: [Google]
Bushido.jpg
176 KB, 500x387
>>44562344
The Bushido does not protect anyone who is in the wrong. Society does, but Rokugan society shits on the Bushido (then pretend that they don't) and twists its tenets into all sorts of weird stuff.

What most Rokugani samurai treat as "honor" is in fact pride. And pride =/= honor.
>>
>>44562950
That only happened once, during a time when everyone was making horrible choices. And besides, it worked out all right in the end.
>>
>>44563031
The maho thing happens all the time. They're second only to the Kuni in how many of them fall to maho use, and the Kuni actively study shit like that as their main duty.
>>
>>44563078
As do the Phoenix, they also look into a bunch of strange magical things and run the Inquisitors.
>>
>>44562989
Well, technically I when your lord does something truly horrible you are supposed to take the blame for him since a good retainer does not let his lord be shamed or loose face.
You see it all the time in Bushido-heavy stories actually; "Yes my lord is an asshole and I'm dying to save his ass embarrassment, but that makes me a noble retainer."

Bushido is protecting the wrong person then, though I suppose you could say that it's the lord above your lord's job to police his work, but Bushido as it's usually portray is about SERVING, not ensuring your underlings play nice.
Well, also about finding good places to heroically die, that comes up a lot.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 523x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 523x720
Quickly now, /l5rg/.....
What Clan?
>>
>>44563851
Clearly that is a Spider.
Possibly one of those skin-stealing hags poorly attempting to pass as human.
>>
>>44563851
Scorpion

...duh
>>
>>44563182
>Yes my lord is an asshole and I'm dying to save his ass embarrassment, but that makes me a noble retainer.

According to the Bushido, this makes you an ignorant and stupid retainer, a samurai only in name. If your lord is wrong, then you must make him right. Simply taking the blame won't make him right, only make you wrong too for being dishonest (and a lot of other things too, see later). You must make your lord realize his wrongness and fix his mistakes - and if he is unwilling to do these, then you must save him from himself and be his second. What your lord (or anyone else for that regard) wants or doesn't want make no difference - your only concern is to make things right.

Overall, by taking the blame and remaining inactive, you would violate Courage (for shying away from taking the right action), Duty (for not being responsible for your lord), Honesty (for turning a blind eye to the truth), Honor (well, you auto-violate this tenet if you violate any other tenets, so here it is), and Sincerity (as you are faking accountability). You might or might not violate Compassion too if others suffer because of your lord.
>>
>>44563873
>Possibly one of those skin-stealing hags poorly attempting to pass as human.
Fuck you, Hitomi Tanaka is great!
>>
>>44563851
>dat girth
Crab
>>
>>44563851
>Giant gaijin cow tits
>Dirty gaijin card game
>round gaijin eyes
Mantis for sure.
>>
>>44564924
That's a Unicorn if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>44563851
We solved this threads ago. Unicorn have biggest tits, followed closely by Mantis.
>>
>>44565338
1.Unicorn
2.Mantis
3.Crab/Scorpion
5.Dragon
6.Crane
7.Phoenix
>>
>>44565384
you accidentally a clan there.
>>
>>44565482
shit
1. Unicorn
2. Mantis
3. Crab/Scorpion
5. Lion
6. Dragon
7. Crane
8. Phoenix
>>
>>44565482
No, I was pretty sure that it was intended that the Lion didn't have tits. It was all dudes and traps.
>>
>>44565659
Except the Matsu, who are physically identical to the Hida and fall under "Crab" for the purposes of this list.
>>
>>44565659
Don't believe the vile Crane propaganda.
>>
>>44565833
>Round Eyes.

Nice Gaijin cos-player you got there but no Lion-ko
>>
>>44565833
what the fuck are those pox marks on her face? what terrible disease did this poor samurai-ko have?
>>
>>44566264
Well, whatever it was, the fact that she has the marks and is clearly not dead means that she's probably immune to it now, which increases her marriage prospects.
>>
>>44565833
>Don't believe the vile Crane propaganda.

Oh it's no more propaganda than the Crane claiming they have any men.
>>
I had a TPK (or at least what was left of it) last night, where my players completely failed to thwart the Maho-tsukai schemes, and now kansen roam the lands. That I can manage, but it was a disaster all the way, with no shining moment, and my players mostly died in dishonorable ways (two of those fuckers drowned trying to flee the battle, amongst other things).
Atrocious rolls and failure to pick clues are to blame, but since I have my part of responsability here and nobody on the table is satisfied by this ending, I was thinking about re-running the campaign with the same characters.

Is this a bad idea? Should I present the previous run as premonitory dreams or have the unsatified spirits of the dead characters go back in time? I don't think I've read anything about visoins of the future in the lore.

I think that I will be able to preserve the freshness of the campaign since they will probably change their course of action very early in, so it won't be a stupid cut-and-paste.

Has anyone here ever tried something similar? Is there anything I should be particularly careful about?
>>
>>44567290
>I don't think I've read anything about visoins of the future in the lore.

The Lore sometimes presents linear time as an artifact of Ningen-do so it's quite possible for the characters to re-incarnate before they died for a do-over at their destiny.

I'd run it as a semi-stable time loop with new characters bearing the next incarnation of the old characters souls and run the old foolish characters as NPC complications.

Have the new party arrive on the scene and loosely describe the old party in the background or some such if at all possible.
>>
>>44567290
Retcon the failed adventure into an accidental journey into the Realm of Thwarted Destiny. Like, let the players redo the adventure a few times, always killing them off at the end, until they get good enough to solve it - then still kill them at the end with a random asspull.

Only after this last PK should you reveal that they are trapped in a Spirit Realm and they should concern themselves with escaping rather than playing along, because shit is getting real in Ningen-do while they are playing Groundhog Day in the Realm of Thwarted Destiny.
>>
Imagine this scenario:

You're a courtier, and doing boring courtier things in court, until some kenshinzen runs in and accuses you of doing heinous shit, demanding a duel to the death. You have not done any of the stuff he claims you have. What are your options?
>>
>>44568833
I decline to duel. I use my connections to clear my name as quickly as possible. I ruin that fucker's life. In that order.
>>
>>44568833

Get your Daimyo to support you with a good Yojimbo and have him with the duel on your behalf and be done with it.

>>44568922

Kenshinzen being obviously Crane cock-blocks your courtier fuckery with courtier fuckery from his allies who use your non-refutation of his allegation to ruin your life. Try again in your next incarnation.
>>
>>44568833
Tell him that you have not done any of the stuff he claims you have. Not it is his turn to provide evidence or something. If you are innocent, then the guy has just made a fool of himself so you might offer him an escape route - make up a story about how this incident is just a small part of a bigger picture and the kenshizen is just doing his job in this scheme (don't forget to praise his assertiveness and sense of honor, the two things that allowed him to bring the matter to the table). This way, you will probably gain him as an ally. And that's cool because this shit stinks.

If you are not innocent, then I hope you have a Mirumoto Swordmaster around to champion your cause. That should keep the kenshinzen occupied while you destroy all evidence then proceed to call a scandal before the duel actually starts.
>>
>>44569078
nigga I am a crane.
>>
File: clip (2015-12-31 at 09.26.46).png (817 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
clip (2015-12-31 at 09.26.46).png
817 KB, 780x585
>>44569104
>evidence
>rokugan
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.