[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terrible DM Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
Terrible DM Thread:

Was recently in one the worst campaigns I've ever been a part of. It was pretty similar to pic related. The whole campaign felt like the DM's fan fiction.

>The campaign had not even started yet and there were warning signs.
>DM is using a homebrew setting with an emphasis on it being a land of heroes.
>Discusses in detail with players the many DMPC's he rolled up for the campaign and how "badass" they all are
>The briefing for the campaign on our community page is as long as Moby Dick
>First session is kind of rough and shows many signs of railroading.
>Setting is massive and the starting town can only be traversed through various means of transport that the DM uses to set us on course.
>Power scaling is fucked with almost every character being twice as powerful as our characters (starting at level 7)
>A few sessions in and the flaws are really starting to show.
>Most of the time, the party is being helped by multiple DMPC's who take part in combat and everything because all encounters are significantly above our level
>DM is pretty much playing his own game
>It gets worse
>4 sessions in DM introduces a character of his from a previous campaign now level 30 (we're 8 at the time)
>To show off how powerful this DMPC is he had this character fight other DMPC's (PvP against himself)
>I quit the campaign by the 6th session
>Haven't heard a single positive thing from my friends who are still in the campaign.
>>
>>44528560

Never had anything that bad, but I do have a shitty payoff story.

>DM I've played with before proposes new game
>I like the last campaign, got enthusiastic, wrote back with ideas for courtier-type character
>Got response inviting further elaboration
>OK!
>Lay out character fit for doing courtly things in court, with some character hooks to use on them
>Know I'm on the same page as another player
>Session 1: we get ordered out to some hick town
>Deus Ex pins us there
>DM produces hand-drawn map for this town, making clear that it will be the campaign center for a long time to come
>Players who had been talking up courtly intrigue ask what the actual fuck
>DM says that he never promised anything of the sort and we have no right to feel misled or disappointed
>>
>>44528560
>>44528853

Why do DMs do this? Why is their head so far up their ass? Did they forget that story-telling needs to be tweaked when there's other people contributing?
>>
>>44529279
A lot of DM's are terrible at improving when players want to do something they haven't planned for.
>>
>>44528560

I have a story of a terrible DM trying to punish a bunch of shitheaded players (myself included) which turned out well.

Does that count?
>>
>>44529425
Don't see why not
>>
>join a sci fi game
>railroad begins from day 1, but whatever as long as it is fun
>one PC randomly gets an invitation to a poker game
>game suddenly revolves around poker with that one PC for over 2 hours
>PC gets money for free to even be able to play poker game (~2000 credits)
>over the course of 2 hours he doesn't lose a single game
>Shit roll: "You almost didn't make it, but you could stay in the game"
>good roll: "You forced x amount of people out from the table, its now only you and this guy"
>win money
>move to next table
>DM just creates numbers in his head for the money the PC wins
>over 70000
>Rest of PCs sit at around 300

Session 2:
>Suddenly Poker again
>Same PC plays with ship captain and wins over 1 million in credits
>rest of pcs spent another hour to listen to them play poker without any possibility of losing
>have to explore a emergency signal next day, only the pcs are sent out to check it out
>It's a trap!
>Massive space battle
>PCs are ambushed by 8 NPCs with better weapons
>ship weapons deal with them after nearly one shotting 2 PCs
>DM railroad sets in
>no crit rolls
>20 from a laserrifle disables our spaceship engine
>repair it for over 3 days
>take off anyways, instead of looting like DM wanted
>Space battle still ongoing

Session 3:
>DM has 4 ships engage us
>looks at our ship stats and then at his
>suddenly only 1 ship engaging us
>Plot Armor thickens as DM doesnt even roll anymore
>Suddenly huge object from base ship deployed
>we decide to move it towards the enemy
>fail
>its a nuke and we are next to it
>still make it out, cause Plot Armor

Session 3:
>Travel to nearby system and make some fuss at a bank
>Poker PC threatens the bank owner
>bank owner calls guards
>Other PC assaults high tech guardian
>Other PC is imprisoned
>Poker PC was taken away, but nobody knows where he is at the police
>Poker PC suddenly is at a poker game
>bank owner was also poker player
>1 hour of poker game

continues...
>>
>>44529519
i would leave at session 1.
>>
>>44529461
>>44528560

Well, to start it off, I want to make it very clear that my friends and I were little shits at the start of this game, and we were kind of That Group; full of lolrandumb murderhoboing and dick jokes.

The new GM had moved to our area, and was looking for players, so we joined his game. He did have a kind of plot that I didn't pay much attention to, because it was too funny to watch him get buttmad when we killed an important NPC and then teabagged the corpse.

Anyway, a mature person would have left the table, maybe after some cutting remarks. Our GM was not such a mature person; he gave the old infinitely spawning guards trick when we killed a town mayor, had us all captured, beaten up, tried, and sentenced to a prison pit, which I have since discovered was heavily influenced by Jeff Vogel's Exile series. As far as I can tell (he's not opened his mouth much about his motivations) I think he wanted to make the game unpleasant enough for us that we'd quit instead of him quitting because of our shenanigans.

Anyway, we get teleported down into this lightless pit. No food, no weapons, only the clothes on our backs. Our armament is reduced to "that kind of jagged looking rock I can sort of see in the barely florescent fungus" and no arcane materials whatsoever, turning Eric, our sorcerer, into a completely, 100% useless character for about 5 sessions.

I wind up taking control of the party at around this point: I was a ranger, and suddenly, I was the only one who could reliably find food, or find our way around. We continue on, largely as before, hiding from things stronger than us (often) murderhoboing when we could (rare; often other insane murderhobo exiles like ourselves).

1/2
>>
>>44529694

And after several more kills like this, something broke. For me at least, it was the fact that there was nothing to loot: This had turned into real survival-mode, with most of our equipment being made from stone tools we crafted ourselves. Killing a man to discover all he had was a rock and some fleas takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Convincing the other 4 guys on the basis of "If you don't help me, I won't feed you", we stopped randomly ambushing people as soon as they came down, and actually started to try to eke something out in this pit. We slowly built up supplies, identified people with the skills to either grow fungus or to craft things, and are actually building a little society now. As of our last point, we have a semi-permanent village with 300 residents, with a flag made out of giant spider-silk and a few magical designs scrawled on (DM eventually let us get some "substitute" materials, to allow for limited spellcasting, weaker than RAW, but then, all of us are way weaker than normal 9th level characters; my best piece of equipment is an iron battleaxe)

It's actually been a LOT of fun, and one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. I'm proud of my stupid, fake, cave exile society.
>>
>>44529519
Session 3 continued:
>Poker PC roles shit, not a single good roll
>first game of poker lost
>Money Lost: 20000
>Other PCs at trial, about to get beheaded for assaulting a guardian
>Poker PC gets note from poker players that they can help
>Other PC is now free and poker PC didnt have to pay, just has to join another poker game soon
>Poker PC keeps secret about his money and buys some ship upgrades

Session 4:
1 guy doesnt show up because DM has difficulties with timetables.
>what do we do now?
>you can stay on the planet for some time longer
>Poker PC gets invitation to poker game
>My PC is invited as a waiter and automatically accepts by DM
>Other PC gets 2 million in credits to join poker game from some backwater organization
>has to steal something at the poker game
>doesnt just run with the money
>has zero skills in stealth/thievery
>GM decidedes he can learn it after hearing about zero skills
>pays 500.000 credits
>GM says he watches instruction videos on the internet
>"Why am i being charged for watching things on the internet?"
>GM has no idea

I decide to call it quits...
>>
>>44529717
Wait, so you're saying that he told you that your character accepted a job request without your approval as a player?
>>
>>44528560

>Join a group because a friend recommended it, I had mentioned I was looking to play an LoTR game
>Apparently, GM was some ultra-Tolkien nut, the sort that could recite long passages from memory, and read all that crap about the composition and worldbuilding.
>We're at session 0, and he's describing the campaign, and helping us build the characters.
>Suddenly blurts out "You guys wanted me to make this like the books, right? Well then, I'm warning you all, you might not want to make elven characters. Yes, you'll get a lot of bonuses, but it's a prevailing theme that the Elves always fail and lose when they confront the Shadow, despite their power. Make an Elf, and I guarantee, you will screw up somehow when the chips are down. The fabric of Arda is against you".

We argued for a bit, but I left before even properly playing. Look, if you can't mechanically balance shit, get a guide or something, don't flat out tell people you're going to railroad them to fail right at the outset. Who the fuck even does something like that?
>>
>>44529717
almost forgot

Poker PC also got an invitation to buy a planet by the DM. DM said it would get randomized stats and could be uninhabitable.

Poker PC said that you can probably choose it like in a catalog. Poker PC is allowed to buy a planet and they will talk about it.

Rest of PCs sitting at around 500 credits. Aside from the guy that needs to steal something at the poker game.

I dont even want to ask how the game is going after I just pulled the plug on my internet connection.
>>
>>44529792
well at this point I didnt care that much about the game anymore, but yes.
>>
>>44528560
I once did a awful job trying to GM, but it's not a ridiculous story like these, it was just normal first time mistakes.
Couldn't keep the players focused, forgot one of them was a druid and had them fighting trained animals, accidentally made all of the checks too easy, and accidentally made a boss that the players didn't even really have to fight because I didn't know about Bull Rush rules.
It was a disaster.
>>
>>44529279
>>44529388

I DM'd for the first time last night. I'm so scared I'm going to end up being a "that DM".
>>
>>44530075
Good. That fear keeps you from becoming That DM.
Remember. Ask your players what was bad and good about the session and take it to heart.
>>
>>44529694
>>44529715

Sounds like you got your ass kicked but then learned how to be effective murder hobos, kings of the ragged and the damned. Sounds like you're basically playing Kingdom Death instead of high-fantasy murderhoboing.
>>
>>44529694
>>44529715
I don't give a fuck about you players here but your QM is a credit for turning a bad thing into a not bad thing.
>>
>>44530075
You probably won't be, even if the session isn't that good just remember it's you first time, you'll get better with practice so long as you recognize you mistakes.
Remember that Roleplaying is a communal effort to build a story, they aren't playing you game, it's everyone's game.
Also, the goal is to have fun, if everyone's having fun then you're doing okay.
>>
File: 1450757655197.png (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1450757655197.png
30 KB, 300x300
>>44528560
OP here. A few updates I've gotten from friends:

Update 1:
>DM is actively trying to turn one of the human PC's into a shade for no other reason than he likes shades.

Update 2:
>DM has been modifying characters backstories to make it easier to railroad the players

Update 3:
>Plot hooks are now so lazily executed that the DM doesn't even call for rolls.

Update 4:
>2 more cases of DMPvP

Sounds like they are all considering colluding and going down the Old Man Henderson route in order to try to salvage the campaign
>>
>>44530205
They should just quit like mature adults, instead of purposefully trying to ruin the already ruined campaign like a bunch of vindictive children.
>>
>>44530130
>>44530181

Dunno if either of you saw it in the past, but I was the anon that had mentioned a homebrew campaign set up in a bunch of floating islands.

Basically what I'm doing is making mini adventures for each island and after each island I will let my players pick from a group of folders containing new islands. I jot down a few general ideas for the story of each island instead of writing out a whole planned out story so my players can make the story themselves while following those few guidelines I wrote down. I'm hoping that will help prevent the game from becoming railroady.
>>
>>44530283
Sounds like a cool idea, honestly. That may just be my love of floating islands talking though.
>>
>>44530313

Ever since Chrono Trigger I've had a massive nerdboner for floating islands, so that's where I drew my inspiration from. Then combined it with the sense of exploration and adventure from Robin Hobb's Rain Wild Chronicles series.
>>
>>44529279
Some of it's just a failure to communicate before the campaign starts. OP's is total ThatDM, but a lot of DMs just fuck up by not saying what they want to do. For example, I want to do "Kingmaker on the Moonsea". Here's a range of ways to ask people to play that game:

>Awful
"The game is D&D 3.5"

The DM is literally no help at all. The campaign world will come out sooner or later, but the players are really left to their own devices.

>Bad
"D&D 3.5, starting in the Dalelands in the Forgotten Realms."

Well, at least this means people won't pitch folks from Kara-Tur! They can also have some expectations about what might be involved in the game due to the area, although these could be WILDLY at odds with what actually happens.

>Good
"D&D 3.5, starting in the Dalelands in the FRCS, hoping to do a hex-crawl/kingdom hybrid kinda like Kingmaker"

Now we're cooking. The players know that their characters ought to be would-be lords (or wardens, whatever) of a united Dalelands and with a quick glance at the FR Wiki or FRCS they can learn the obvious enemies (Zhents, Hillsfar, Sembia) that their character would know about.

>Bonus points
Sending out a hex map showing the intended campaign area to prospective players.

Even better than before, because the players know that the DM has committed at least some time to planning for what they're promising. That show of good faith can help players who've been jilted in the past to enthuse about a new game.
>>
How do DM's not realize that their games are that, games. If you want to tell a story in a particular way just fucking write a novel.
>>
>>44530639
It's all Hickman's fault.
>>
>Playing Pathfinder (yes I know I deserve it)
>Playing nominally evil spellcaster but always do my evil stuff in secret and work really well with the group of otherwise good guys for mutually beneficial reasons
>Campaign goes along nicely for awhile, get approached by similarly aligned evil cult and decide help them out, seemed like an interesting plothook
>Make sure NO ONE knows it's me or that I'm doing it, very carefully and magically disguise myself
>Cult shit involves your typical sacrifices to dark gods and stuff
>A couple days later an unbeatable group of super powerful NPCs equipped with godlike gear comes in, says they know who I am, what I did, and that I have to pay the price
>My party isn't sure who to believe because, while no one knows I'm evil, these goody two shoes paladin/inquisitor fuckers are clearly so good that they wouldn't be doing this shit without a good reason
>Try to lie my way out of it, inquisitor has literal unbeatable anti lying powers
>Jig is up, ask both in game and over the table how the fuck these guys knew
>A fucking god put a hit out on me and sent these fuckers, gods can know anything, anon
>4 superbadass dm npcs cast a bunch of spells I don't get to react to because they're spell like abilities that completely negate any magic I can do to get away, including my contingency that they somehow knew about
>get instakilled in combat and some other shit to make sure resurrection is impossible, party just shrugs and goes "Never knew he was evil, glad that's over with!"

I've since made a new character, moved on and resigned myself that I am just not allowed to do evil stuff in the background, but goddamn it was such obnoxious bullshit. Meanwhile our idiot tank tortures and mindlessly kills people on the regular but pretends to be chaotic neutral and never got a whiff of punishment or comeuppance. The GM has otherwise been fine since I've been playing Neutral and Good characters but goddamn was that stupid.
>>
>>44530773
Sounds like the DM should have just told you, "No Evil characters."
>>
>>44530773
Make a psycho Paladin who is very over the top in forcing Law and Good.
>>
>>44530773
I don't understand why so many GM's hate evil characters. I understand that they pose some threats to party interactions but I feel that, if played well (like any alignment), they can add an interesting dynamic to the group.
>>
>>44530936
>if played well (like any alignment)
There lies the problem with evil and CN PCs
Most people don't know how to play them properly and use their alignment as an excuse to shit all over the campaign
>>
>>44530936
I was straight Neutral Evil and always worked within the party's more altruistic goals. I was essentially using them as a stepping stone until I could move on to more evil things with my amassed power but I saved enough fucking towns and kingdoms and innocents that they all thought I was a great dude to keep around.

That's why I was so annoyed that all the hard work I did to keep everything secret got outed by literal fucking deus ex machina telling a bunch of dudes I

A: Couldn't stand up to in a fight
B: Couldn't lie to and
C: had absolutely no chance at escape from

that I had to die was the worst. Meanwhile, Asshole McFuckwit Murderhobo Fighter who that has been way more out and open about doing legit evil shit says "I'm sorry" and they leave him be.
>>
>>44531275
Why are you even playing with that DM?
>>
>>44530936
>I don't understand why so many GM's hate evil characters.
They're probably using a full-on metaphysical alignment interpretation, where Evil alignment literally means that the character is working for the Nine Hells, the Abyss, or whatever.

That's quite different from just being an ass.
>>
I am a shit DM, but no one else in my group wants to do it, so i am kind of stuck with it. Still for some reason they dont want to play the campaign when the full group is not there, so occasionally, when everyone cant attend other guy does his campaign. Every time all people gather everyone makes a big thing out of it, but i always feel like a shit DM who just made a story he likes and railroads all the way cramming a whole train down their throat.
>>
>>44530936

Because Alignments are a stupid, inhibiting set of constraints that seem designed to prevent parties from working together (when done "right" given the rules), combined with both players and GMs that misinterpret them and misdiagnose what Alignment they actually want to play leading to meaningless conflict about a player or players who detect as something they actually aren't.

The best thing to do is to scrap Alignments. If you really must subject yourself to playing in a system that uses them, the least you can do is make sure the party's match. Can they be done well? Sure, maybe? But they're a poor enough system to begin with that it's not worth the effort and it's probably best for everyone if you just all picked ones that kind of went together and go from there.

Mechanically, all having an Evil character in the party does is make him susceptible to different kinds of spells and piss off NPCs with Alignment-detection, and it's all meaningless fluff-wise anyway. I mean, look at this:

>"[There characters] simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient"

That's from the summary for "Evil" in the Pathfinder SRD. Sound like anyone you know? Yeah, it sounds like *every PC ever*. Everybody's evil. Nobody's evil. You might as well pick an Alignment at random and, if you're going to do that, it's probably just easier to instead pick one that jives with the rest of the party--at least on paper, because that's the only place it's ever going to matter. It certainly won't during play.
>>
>>44531332
Campaign otherwise has been fine and we're real life friends. I think once this bit runs it's course I'll try GMing, though.
>>
>>44531547
Be sure to meme on the previous GM and rocks fall his character once he gets attached to it.
>>
>GM's who meme in their campaigns
>>
>>44531508
More accurately, they're a decent idea (the gods, saints, angels, demons, and devils have a serious stake in the Prime Material and help out mortals that work for them) that has been misinterpreted over the years until it becomes a cipher for "personality". The situation for most groups is about as bad as if Vampire: the Masquerade had gotten to the point of just putting down your sect (Camarilla, Sabbat, Anarch) as your character's nature and then suggesting that their nature might change according to play but not specifying that it does so because of the sect hierarchy.

No wonder people are fucking confused!

But if you run the alignments as metaphysical "gangs", it's a perfectly serviceable, even flavourful system.
>>
Finished a 7 hour session about two hours ago. I am being drafted tommorow and my group really wanted to finish my campaign. Felt like shit cramming four sessions worth of campaign into one session.
>>
>>44528560
This dumbass DM fucked up my party when an unprovoked giant that was too strong for us to take head on ambushed us.
>>
>>44530639
Because they have a story to tell to their players, and they'll be damned if the players fucking ruin it by having any say in how it proceeds.

That and many probably play video games, where the story is basically rairoaded 90% of the time, and want their TTRP games to be just as grand and epic as their video games.
>>
Was briefly in a campaign with a DM who insisted on playing music throughout the session. Not much of an issue with this but he played shitty dubstep and nightcore. Only dealt with 2 sessions of this before my ears made me quit.
>>
File: Smiling Aku.gif (835 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Smiling Aku.gif
835 KB, 500x375
>>44531778
Wow
An hour later and you're still assblasted about that thread?

Keep trying to make the DM the bad guy, it's not like anyone is ever going to believe you
>>
>>44531778

why didn't you just run?
>>
>>44532057
From what was posted in the other thread, they had every chance to.

The giant didn't even consider fighting the party, and in fact told them to fuck off because it didn't have time to fight them, until they very loudly discussed the best way to murder the giant about 10 feet away from it.
>>
>>44532093

is it on the archive?
>>
>>44532134
It should still be up last I knew.
>>
>>44532134
>>44525272
>>
>>44532093
Try 100 feet.
>>
>>44532191
Point, though still discussing murdering a giant within earshot of said giant is asking for problems.
>>
>>44530401
Floating island games are pretty cool, my long term campaign is based round them.

Just make sure to give your players some stuff relating to their backstories and you can make anything gold.
>>
>>44529519
>Suddenly huge object from base ship deployed
>we decide to move it towards the enemy
>fail
>its a nuke and we are next to it
>still make it out, cause Plot Armor

Le fail forward faec :^D
>>
>>44530936
>if played well

Well there you go. You're a player. Why should he give you the benefit of the doubt?

It's not interesting, it's not cool, it's just a magnet for That Guys.
>>
>>44531823

My beef with a lot of WoD stuff. The writers shill their characters every chance they get, and basically expect the players to stand around going "gosh, we're really impressed, please tell us again how amazing you are".

There's stuff like that in every system with its own metaplot and characters, sure, but it seemed like White Wolf had it especially hard for a while.
>>
>>44530401
Did you play the Baten Kaitos games? I really enjoyed them.
>>
>>44530279
Sounds like you're That GM, anon.
There is nothing left to ruin in that shit of a campaign. Anon said "salvage".
If the players can finally get some enjoyment out of an otherwise shitty campaign, that's a good thing.
>>
>>44528560
>Setting is massive and the starting town can only be traversed through various means of transport that the DM uses to set us on course.

Oh my god he literally railroaded you!
>>
>>44531547
Anon I hate your DM friend. I hope you tell him how much of a fuckwit he is.
>>
>>44532948
In every sense of the word. There teleportation gates (magic) around this massive city which seemed to never send us where we wanted to go instead to where the nearest plot hook was. Whenever we utilized other forms of transportation (horse drawn carriage or walking) we would be attacked or it would somehow lead us straight into a plot hook.
>>
>>44530075

Don't worry anon. Even if you're shit at first you will improve if you put in the effort to do so.
>>
>>44533042

Christ. It's like every session is the one where you have to get on a boat.
>>
>>44531508

Alignments aren't that bad in DND 5e now. They liberalized it so it is now "the sum of your characters previous actions" rather than a compass on what you should be doing.
>>
>>44530773
Your DM is so passive-aggressive I have to wonder if he can even look at you when you play, or if he has to sit backwards the entire time and look at the table with some kind of angled mirror. Jesus tap-dancing Christ. It's not even about saying "no Evil characters," this is a parent who doesn't want their kid eating sweets going and poisoning some candy before offering it to him, what the fuck.
>>
>>44528560
>taking 6 sessions to quit the shitshow
>not dropping it the second the lvl30 DMPC shows up
For shame, anon. Repeat after me: "No game is better than a bad game."
>>
>>44533180
That is what literally everyone who is competent says alignments are supposed to be for mortals, anyway. Only Outsiders should have their personality dictated by their alignment, instead of the other way around. How fucking hard is this?
>>
>>44533222
Trips do confirm the correctness of that statement, but the GM is a friend so I wanted to at least try to support him in his efforts to be a DM.
>>
>>44531904
Was it a cyberpunk game?
>>
>>44533334
Nope. Pathfinder.
>>
>that DM that constantly tried to get our elf sorceress into sexy situations

We cut that shit out after the first session. Jesus Christ that was annoying, especially for my first time.
>>
>>44533042
Other than the rationality of talking things out like adults, the only solution seems to be going into a session and doing nothing, recording the entire thing, and then later playing it back for the DM so that he can see how little involvement his players have, before asking if he really wants them to be there anymore.
>>
>>44532873
Or they could be mature and talk to the GM about the issues, then quit if/when he keeps being an ass. "Salvaging" the campaign would make the players just as bad as the GM, and honestly I doubt anyone is going to enjoy it. They're probably just going to all get angry.
Becoming That Guy isn't a good way to deal with That GM.

Also, while Old Man Henderson is a funny, well written story, it is in no way indicative of reality.
>>
>>44533351
The only music I've found appropriate for Pathfinder is the BGM of Paper Mario, played at very low volume.
>>
>>44533207
Whenever the character comes up he just awkwardly jokingly goes "Well, it was a bold move trying to play an evil character in a good campaign, Anon" or something of the like.

But this was awhile ago and I've gotten over it. I was kind of noticeably peeved for a month or so about it and cut of discussion about the character whenever I could because it wasn't my goal to shit on the entire campaign because I didn't get to finish up said character.
>>
>>44533308
Then if that's the case, have you tried telling him that his campaign was a shitty fanfiction you had no involvement in instead of just saying your excuses and leaving.

Friends don't let other friends be terrible GMs. Either he realizes the error of his ways and tries to improve or comes to the obvious conclusion that he just wanted to be a fucking player instead and calls it quits. In both scenarios no one has to sit trough awful games again.
>>
>>44533370
Sadly, he blames lack of player involvement and interest on players and not his session. I quit when I confronted him about the flaws of his campaign and he told me that as a player, I shouldn't be telling him how to DM. Actually made me pretty pissed because I thought he would be more willing to improve his campaign.

>>44533385
Yeah I'm not stating that I agree with that method of solving the issue. If it were me I would confront him as a group and if he was unwilling to change. I would just drop the campaign. They haven't played it in a while so it's possible that's what they decided.
>>
>>44532819

I played Origins, it was pretty cool.

Got stuck on the final boss because my party was almost strong enough to take him down but IIRC I couldn't leave and train them more so I quit
>>
>>44533464
I think it's just the logical inconsistency the whole thing presents that bugs me. Is this Holy Kill Squad just out there, all the time, killing bad guys that they know are there because their Omniscient god points them out? If so, why is the party needed? Clearly the big man upstairs has this, even though he can't just hand-wave Evil away himself, but rather sends his goon squad to stomp them with their automatic victory powers. Why is whatever adventure the party is on even a factor if these guys are around?
>>
>>44533133

It started out weird and got better. I had to think on my toes a couple of times.

It's probably bad but the first "boss" I made ended up being way too weak for my players so I secretly added some health to it without them knowing... It still didn't help because they still stomped it... Which tells me I need to buff up my mobs quite a bit.
>>
>>44533514
>Hah, the joke's on you, peons! You joined my game under the ASSUMPTION you would be playing and not merely observing as I masterfully roleplayed every position! Now sit back and enjoy the sho--wait where are you going? What do you mean start your own game?

>please come back
>>
>>44533627
Truer than it sounds. He has in many cases RP'd to himself and gotten annoyed when players tried to interject.
>>
>>44533617
I had a similar problem, but I'd say it's better than accidentally squishing your players with something too strong.
>>
>>44533679
Seriously, why even be present at that point? Just tell him to write down what happened that session so you can burn it later.
>>
>>44533464
Seriously.
When it's your turn to GM, just up and drop a rock on his character's head that does enough damage to instantly kill him, and if he says anything about it, just say "Yeah that really sucks, doesn't it?" and leave it at that.
>>
>>44533569

I think it's hilarious that they specifically targeted the one bad guy who was ostensibly aiding their cause by cooperating with the party.

They only target evil when it tries to help people, it seems-uncooperative evil is left for those "adventurer" plebs to clean up.
>>
>>44533617
I've done that too. The players never found out and had fun, but after a while I just turned it into "hit it until I feel like it should die". There was no chance of them dying against it because of how poorly designed the enemy was, and it was a recognizable mid-boss that my players got kind of hyped for, so I wanted it to be at least somewhat memorable.

The most deadly things were always the things I least expected, like some dogs, or floor tiles.
>>
>>44533569
There was some plot contrivance about them all being so big and badass that all the evil gods and major cults keep tabs on them so it'd be too OBVIOUS if they started solving all the problems. The whole "If these guys are more good than we are and way more powerful than we are then why do they need us?" was the first thing the other dudes asked (as I was dealing with making a new character because I was fucking DEAD).

There were some other, mealy mouthed answers about why I was killed by them (one of them thought I was rude!) but I put it in the bad GMing thread for a reason. It sucked and I hated it in an otherwise good game.
>>
>>44533720
No no, tell him it was a bold move playing a character who has a head in a campaign with rocks.
>>
>>44533682

Yeah I had mentioned on this board that I was short players and most people just said tune it to your low player count rather than adding your own NPC to the party.

Well we had two no shows so it was just two players and myself, so I did the unthinkable and added said NPC who sat back and supported (his role is specifically making the players better at their jobs), cannot talk (he had a bad run in with a cult who cut out his tongue) so therefore can barely add anything social-wise. Players didn't mind him, and I'm too terrified of him turning into a DMPC speshul snowflake scenario to actually make him do anything more than perception roles and combat support.

>>44533809

Oh I like the "hit it until I feel like it should die" approach. I might have to use that next time, especially because in a few islands they'll be up against a lich (it's like the BIG boss of the section of "story") and I'm fully expecting it to not be balanced enough to give them a fun challenge.

>or floor tiles.

wat
>>
>>44529809
LotR isn't a setting you play in because it's balanced. There's no fucking way you're going to balance and elf vs. a hobbit. It's a game you play in for the setting, and in that setting elves suffer from exactly what the GM described.
>>
>>44533944
Flubbing things isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you don't over do it, aren't too obvious about it, and do it to make the game more entertaining for the players. You have to play it by ear based on how they act, monitor their reactions and adjust accordingly.

The floor tiles were earlier in the same dungeon. The whole thing was Zelda themed, since I figured the players would appreciate it. I tired to adapt classic Zelda enemies, traps, and puzzles to D&D. Some things worked better than other, and the room with the flying floor tiles was probably the worst. The enemy I had to buff was a Darknut.
Surprisingly the Peahat worked very well.
>>
>>44533543
Origins is the better game, but both are good. At least you made it to the final boss. I remember the tears when the game launched and people went to the second disk under leveled only to find it starts with a boss fight and nowhere to train. I think the word got out fast that you should prep before switching and I always leave a save at the final dungeon door. The plot of the flying islands was interesting to me though and having played the first first the little hints and references were a treat.
>>
God I mean worldbuilding is awesome, the more robust your world the better, but why do people think they need to front load all their lore?

Just let it be known as it becomes pertinent to the game.
>>
>>44529809
>The fabric of Arda is against you
Legolas disapprove.
>>
>>44534030

We see through your ruse bad DM! Now go away! The fabric of Adra wills you to take a dump on your mom's torso!
>>
>>44529880
Good, because your story is boring.
Relevant, but boring.
>>
>>44534264
Remember the troll that was about to kill Aragorn in the last battle and Legolas couldn't get to him in time? And only the Ring getting destroyed and Sauron eating the big one saved him?

Yeah.
>>
>>44534310
Yeah, could really have been summed up with "GM let this one character play pokers for entire sessions, giving him massive quantities of money while we all sat there with nothing interesting to do."
>>
>>44534287
I don't GM LotR because it's a boring-ass setting, in no small part because of shit like that. It's highly mapped out and there's very little upwards potential for the PCs unless you're willing to alter Middle Earth "history."
>>
>>44534337
>>44534337
If there is more poker than roleplay. You're not roleplaying, you're just playing poker. OR WORSE. WATCHING IT.
>>
>>44534353
The Children of Húrin is one of the best settings.
>>
>>44534207
Even having it figured out to that extent before hand rubs me the wrong way. The best campaigns that I or anyone I know have been in have had major setting details determined based on things the players said or did in the first couple of sessions.
In my current campaign there's a thriving caste of performers and entertainers in the world's biggest city, because my character used to be a circus performer.
In another, much goofier game that the other players were in the world's primary crop and monetary unit was spaghetti, because of a dispute that the PCs had in the first session over meatballs.
>>
>>44533385
Salvaging a bad campaign doesn't make the players as bad as the GM though.
>>
>>44534610
Do you understand what "salvaging" is supposed to mean in this context? They aren't trying to make the best of it, they're going to purposefully try to piss of the GM in a misguided attempt at catharsis.
>>
>>44534651
Except that does salvage the campaign. Not for the GM, of course, but fuck him, he's the reason it's shit in the first place.
>>
Guys I'm signing up to a campaign that one of my friends who's new to GMing is gonna be running, and the first thing he does into making the campaign is develop a fully fleshed GMPC at level 10 who "could solo the party if you fought them" despite them being a scholarly character. I'm quite an experienced GM and I'm trying to subtly hint that what he's doing is fucking moronic but he's not taking the hints, and I can't just quit because he's one of my best friends. What do?
>>
>>44534754
I'd keep arguing, but at this point the argument's just turned into "it's good" "no, it's bad", "not, it's good", and I don't want to shit up the thread.
>>
>>44534788
Tell him in a calm, non-insulting manner that this is a bad idea, and try to explain why.
>>
File: 1422601675378.png (554 KB, 925x3373) Image search: [Google]
1422601675378.png
554 KB, 925x3373
>>
>>44534904

>Not revealing the spoilers

Literally Beyond Shit tier screencapping there
>>
>First year of GMing
>Wacraft Homebrew basically just after Warcraft 3.
>Meta, meta everywhere
>THIS IS NOT VIDYA.
>Everyone is that guy.
>Very first action. Bullet in the master of griffin.
>Sentenced to death.
>Cannot even try to explain this was an accident.
>Beheaded.
>Rage, rage everywhere, everytime.
>I'm harsh. No one got to lvl2. Every PC lost at least 5 characters.
>Months later they are all bored because "i'm an horrible GM".

>Totally new setting, high fantasy.
>PC who shoot the master of griffin GMing.
>I want to see what happens if I break the game.
>Leave the group.
>Go next town.
>It's a town-monastery shit.
>fireball.gif
>repeat until bored
>Town is on fire.
>Everyone is blaming me.
>"It's the candle"
>roll 20
>Left town without a scratch.

>Back to Warcraft.
>Everyone is like "it's a better setting, more coherent universe, etc".
>Except PC who shoot the master of griffin and his GF "my setting is better meh"
>We never played his again.
>He tries different settings. D&D1, Runequest, Dungeon.
>Some were good, some not.
>We never played on the same setting/system each session, he changed it every time.
>"d100 is better, more balanced game, not homebrew, not boring"
>"I'M A JUST GM"
>Always give reward for nothing.
>We start in a shop. We buy our stuff.
>Cast sleep on vendor
>Everyone is mad on me "You want to break the game again"
>success
>"What a good plan anon"
>Tsh.mp3
>Looooooooting.
>Week later "new setting".

>Meanwhile, developped my homebrew, rulebook, choose your dice system, only physical characteristics. General lore knowledge is accepted You know what you know.
>Meta gaming is heavily punished.
>Rock falls...
>My setting is 4 years old, he evolved.
>His is always changing, we're always playing new characters, no one is "IN" the game.
>Everyone plays chaotic evil in his setting.
>Murderhobos.gif
>In mine everyone want at least to discuss, even in position of domination.

Conclusion is coming, limit reached.
>>
>>44535628
>I know i'm not an excellent GM. But my friend don't even know what railroad is because they are totally free of action. They have quest, but if they want to do whatever they want they can. They have main and subquest, relations with NPC, bought or tamed animals.
>On the other side, my system is homebrew, everyone is like "it's not really solid RP". But they are all liking it.
>Griffin guy became a better GM on the other side, but he always complain on my system "meh, mine is better".

>We're both that guy to each other I think.
>>
>>44535628
I have other stories of my bad skills of GMing if you want.
>>
>We let our resident That Guy DM some years ago.
>He instructed us on our "The Exalted and the Vile" group page to create two characters for two parties: one Exalted, one Vile.
>The idea was to do one session with the Exalted party, another with the Vile, then we would vote on which one to continue the campaign with.
>The page also warned us "For every choice, there is a consequence." Slight cringe.
>We all shoot down his two party idea because making characters takes forever and nobody wants to make one that you'd only use once before killing. Plus, we'd all vote in advance anyway so we'd know which one to put actual effort into.
>He concedes, I take this as a good sign.
>I was dating (and am now married to) his sister, who was also a player in this game.
>She told me that for all three months of winter break, he was holed up in his room building and planning the campaign.
>I was still inexperienced in D&D and did not take this for the ill omen of railroading that it was.
>First session: We're watching a parade in a castle town we see a bunch of Yuan-Ti laying siege to a temple.
>We five people who have never met spring into action, because really, only the kind of person that would intervene would be a player character.
>There were like 30 Yuan-Ti, which meant that if you missed an attack, you had to wait like 10 minutes to be able to miss again.
>Pretty understandable rookie DM mistake. He just thought that bigger meant more epic.
>Get inside the temple. Between the entrance and the back is us, an assload MORE Yuan-Ti, and a Yuan-Ti high priest about to sacrifice some chick on her own altar.
>Our Cleric, realizing that sacrificial rituals need a spoken incantation, casts Zone of Silence at the altar, buying us and the victim some time.
>DM is confused. Cleric explains the logistics of this rather simple concept.
>DM invokes Rule Zero and declares that Zone of Silence does not have any adverse effect on the sacrifice because reasons.
(Continued)
>>
>>44536088
>The rest of us use our actions to attack the first row of Yuan-Ti.
>End of the round.
>DM hesitates and says "The high priest's dagger sinks into the woman on the altar and she dies in agony... shit, wasn't expecting this to happen. She's an important NPC."
>He's a massive stickler for the rules (except in preventing an actually good plan from working), so after the battle, he finds some Martyr-based prestige class because this woman had PC stats.
>He does this huge, elaborate workaround so she could come back as a ghost and give some exposition.
>We do something else that he didn't expect: we ask questions like "How and why was a war band of Yuan-Ti able to sneak into a castle town?"
>Cleric has a thing that lets him ask his god 20 yes or no questions.
>We very quickly deduce that the king is secretly evil and let the Yuan-Ti in.
>DM looks a bit crushed.
>"Ho, adventurers! The king urgently asks for an audience with you!"
>On the way to the castle, get stopped the shrubbery woman from Quest for the Holy Grail (no, really) who warns me that "Things are not as they seem and that there may be more to the king's request than there seems."
>He's still trying to foreshadow the twist ending because that's what the script says.
>The king is "greatly disturbed" by Yuan-Ti attacking in the heart of his own city. He sends us to gather *gag* the four elemental crystals and bring them to the shadow of the northern plain. It's somewhere north.
>Cleric uses a thing to let him ask his god a short answer question "Okay, we've already figured out the king's evil stupid plan and he's sending us on a fool's errand hoping we all get killed before we figure out his plan. What should we do?"
>DM stump
>"...I think you should *humor* the king."
>I shout "CHOO CHOO!"
(Continued)
>>
>>44536396
>He sends us to gather the four elemental crystals and bring them to the shadow of the northern plain. It's somewhere north.
It's like I'm playing Final Fantasy again. Maybe the sacrifice came back thanks to Chaos.
>>
>Peasant game, me and another player get kidnapped by kobolds
>Have to live as kobold slaves for a long portion of the game, treated horribly throughout
>Probably the worst being forced to breed so they can give the offspring to a dragon, though her character being milked a definite negative highlight
>Eventually manage to escape of our own volition against DM efforts

The messed up thing is, she found a way to make the game of us as slaves last like 10 sessions before we escaped, and she would have kept the kobold slave plotline going if we hadn't.
>>
>>44536396
>Slog through getting the 4 elemental crystals and bringing them to the northern plain.
>PC from a previous campaign who ascended to godhood personally showed up to tell us that the king has fooled us all.
>Apparently, he sent us on a fool's errand hoping we would all get killed before we figured out his plan.
>DUN DUN DUNNNN!
>"He's enacting the final phase of his plan, you'll never make it time! Thankfully, I'm a god and can whisk you to the front gates."
>The guards see us and have orders to kill us on sight, so our Paladin tries to diplomacy them. He can't.
>It's not that the guards are mind-controlled, or are too zealous to listen, Paladin simply "can't" talk to them.
>A gate slams shut that will not open unless the guards are all dead.
>Cleric teleports us to the other side.
>When the DM protests, Cleric reminds him that it can't open until the guards are dead, so they're just stuck. lulz
>We get to the massive throne room where the king reveals that he was secretly evil the whole time.
>He reveals that he let the Yuan-Ti into the city.
>He reveals that he sent us on a fool's errand hoping we would all get killed before we figured out his plan.
>We have to die now.
>"Several Yuan-Ti tribes come in through the windows."
>200.
>Goddamned 200 Yuan-Ti.
>After we had that very understanding talk about 30 being too much and he conceded.
>200.
>"But wait! Hope is not lost! Some allies like that ghost chick and her friend show up! So does a goddamned dragon that you helped out!"
>He rolls initiative. For everything.
>I'm not exaggerating.
>We plead him to stop. We tell him that we already have several foolproof ways to kill every single Yuan-Ti on the field and help him save face.
>This goes on for almost 30 minutes and we start to leave.
>He rolls faster, hoping that maybe if he finishes soon, we'll sit back down.
>Finally, only after rolling ALL 200, does he relent and have the dragon kill pretty much all of them with a single breath attack.
(Continued)
>>
File: 1446794917355.png (72 KB, 353x439) Image search: [Google]
1446794917355.png
72 KB, 353x439
>>44536679
>He rolls initiative. For everything.
what the fuck
>>
>>44536679
>We decide to sit through this one last fight even though we're all pretty pissed.
>DM is also pretty tense.
>One of the bad guys is right next to the dragon and moves away.
>The Fighter, who is remarkably adept at recovering from bad moods, perks up "The dragon gets an attack of opportunity!"
>DM: "No he doesn't."
>Wait, what?
>The DM is obviously trying to just move on to the next character's turn, but I put my foot down and demand to know why the dragon doesn't get an AoO.
>DM: "He holds his action."
>Blank stares all around.
>Cleric tells him that the campaign has officially fallen apart and everybody starts packing to leave.
>DM, wanting to wrap everything up before we walk out, fast forwards through the battle.
>Tells us that we've basically been granted control of the kingdom.
>Just to highlight how goddamned retarded this was, I immediately annex the entire kingdom to the elven realm because I was an elven secret agent.
>Glory to the Elder Race.

Epilogue: A few weeks later, his sister told me that she was looking for something in his room and found his notes for the game, torn in half and discarded in a box.
>>
>>44536850
Big mistakes all around but also kind of sad because he just seemed excited to do this campaign and didn't know how to adapt to circumstances.

Less a shit DM and more just a hopeless, pitiable rookie too attached to his initial idea.
>>
File: 9QzkAr7.png (208 KB, 336x355) Image search: [Google]
9QzkAr7.png
208 KB, 336x355
>>44536769

My best friend's brother does this shit. The battles will take 2-3 hours to complete, and that's with speeding things up. Absolute bull crap.

>level 5 campaign
>armys on the battlefield casting meteor swarms
>>
File: DMPC.jpg (533 KB, 1244x2098) Image search: [Google]
DMPC.jpg
533 KB, 1244x2098
>>
File: Furry Rape Planet.png (125 KB, 1901x988) Image search: [Google]
Furry Rape Planet.png
125 KB, 1901x988
>>
>Doing a small gave via text on Skype with a notoriously bad DM in our circle of friends.
>I just heard stories, but heard he was really passionate and tried.
>Roll up an albino sword-sage ronin type on a quest for honor after failing her sensei. Just to give him some room for plot hooks since he didn't have a strong narrative in mind
>Starts off okay, lot of detail in the world and me and some other player set off on adventure
>Start to notice there's no real world around us. Lots of detail on tiny things but no real world.
>Random piss-easy encounters and expensive loot that wasn't really all that great (Oh boy a mithral katana!)
>Just us going down a set piece of random places and random encounters with decent and sometimes interesting description
>NO PLOT
>Eventually find a camp of abandoned anime cat girls that are all like eight years old
>They adopt to themselves to my character like she is their mother
>Game is now about me carting along over a half-dozen anime cat girls and taking care of them
>Duck out FAST

I just wanted to restore my honor and be a badass kensai.
>>
File: Pig Fucker.png (153 KB, 992x1880) Image search: [Google]
Pig Fucker.png
153 KB, 992x1880
>>
File: Thwarting the magical realm.png (263 KB, 1360x1776) Image search: [Google]
Thwarting the magical realm.png
263 KB, 1360x1776
>>
>>44536088
>>44536396
>>44536679
>>44536850
I kind of feel sorry for him. He tried so hard, but it just wasn't enough.
>>
File: 1345176595146.jpg (82 KB, 1150x720) Image search: [Google]
1345176595146.jpg
82 KB, 1150x720
>>44536850
I suppose I should feel bad but I really don't.

There are a few important street rules in being a DM:
Don't waste your players' time.
Always remember that this is the players' story. Not yours.
Do not ever write stupid long overarching plots because it completely contradicts with the notion of this being the players' story in the first place.
Oh, and don't rape the PCs.

That guy clearly had no respect for your time and zero consideration for the rest of the group's enjoyment, the thought didn't even enter his mind. He was just jerking off to his own shitty fanfiction, probably doesn't even have any idea why his campaign failed so badly.
>>
>>44529809
That's like bitching that non-blunt weapons are for shit against skeletons. The Elf has one weakness and he has it laid out for you and you bitch about it? When it's lore-accurate weakness? Are you retarded or something? He didn't even say that he would cheat it, he said "you will screw up somehow when the chips are down."
>>
>>44537032
>that lewd ending

Pffhahaha.
>>
>>44530130
that's good advice but it doesn't always work. Back when I was a pretty shitty DM running really hard games for the sake of my ego, I always asked what people liked and what they would change at the end. Nobody said make it less hard, they always said stuff like "I liked the roleplaying and the cool locations", they skirt the issue and didn't tell me that they didn't like the game, until one day they just quit.
>>
>>44530936
It depends on the game and the players. The best peice of advice I can give to players is to hide their alignment until it is comes up in game (via a spell, or something like that). I had the unfortunate experience of being metagamed to death by another player who knew my alignment and deemed me a threat, even though all I did in character was "accidentally injure a party member (who immediately after I risked life and limb to save [for profit]) and set off a trap by accident. It was not fun, and I use it as a warning for player who want to try it.
>>
>>44536850
>A few weeks later, his sister told me that she was looking for something in his room and found his notes for the game, torn in half and discarded in a box.
Ouch
>>
>>44537032
That is the greatest story I've ever read.
>>
>>44533334
>cyberpunk game
>dubstep/nightcore
PICK FUCKING ONE

Actual, appropriate cyberpunk music:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y8DekFFCE5c
Also acceptable: Lazerhawk, Mega Drive, Dan Terminus, Garth Knight, Carpenter Brut, basically anything by John Carpenter, almost anything from the Hotline Miami 1 and 2 soundtracks.
>>
>>44539696
>no mention of Miami Nights 1984 or Power Glove
>>
File: 1387601768298.png (376 KB, 900x702) Image search: [Google]
1387601768298.png
376 KB, 900x702
Was a recent campaign online in skype, still ongoing. Is a bit fun, but seems to be pretty redic.

Naruto in a more Modern setting, something like 1980's.

> Start date is August 1st, 1981 in reference to MTV's first music video.
> Have to go to highschool and normal school
> The gameplay is nice, has a few neat social mechanics.
> Have a timeskip after the holidays, it is day 2, November 1984.
> Riding the bus, had to do something really quick so didn't get to pick my seat, so get sat next to my game's best friend Whatever.jpg.
> Seat is in the mid rows and the bus driver has the tunes on silently, can't seem to hear it due to bad roll and students talking.
> Hoshigaki bully girl is bopping her head singing the lyrics.
> Is Gee by some Korean Pop band.
> Bus stops at crosswalk, man stabs a woman and runs with the purse in bad neighborhood, but he knows we won't get off the bus to stop him because were going to real school.
> Fucking railroad.
> New song plays as we get closer to school
> One of the PCs actually requests the bus driver turns it up, finally hear it, but they end up still unable to hear it.
> "What you get for sitting in the back and not speccing a little into hearing feats, sorry."
> It's playing more K-pop, think it's a joke or not actually caring about Japanese culture.
> Radio goes to static, explosion can be heard.
> Oshit.jpeg
> Turns head to look out window to see radio tower got blown the fuck up.
> Hear jets flying overhead.
> More explosions setting the city of fire, music seems to be gone but wouldn't matter because the fucking war siren is blarring over the city.
> Bail out the bus as it swerves into a sidewalk, doors opening to make a mad dash for the school.
> Road ahead gets carpet bombed for some reason, screaming NPC and death everywhere.
> Stay in school, teachers tell us to hide under desks with books over our heads.
> I refuse cause I know it won't work but the Teacher pestering me to do, so I cave in.

Cont. if people want.
>>
>>44539892
Well of course people want you to continue we aint gay
>>
>>44539892
>Cont. if people want.

You don;t start telling a story then attention whore, if you want upvotes go to reddit.

Now finish the story so I can go to bed
>>
>>44528560
I want to be a terrible DM.

How do I do that?

Can I be a rules lawyer, as the DM?
>>
>>44539892
>As soon as I get under my desk, bullets spray through a few of the windows.
>Fucking plot armor
> PC who didn't join us to class comes in with butcher knives and stuff to help fight since gear is at home.
> Pcs start to band together and head out the door ignoring the teacher.
> Head for abandoned second floor, find nothing useful besides a pipe saw and "cover" due to renovations, student goes back to save NPC students while we wait at door aiming to head back to home area which is away from the war.
> Look at that, NPC Chuunin came to bail us out.
> Get railroaded out the door because the student told the chuunin where we went
> Go into sewer, fuunin hidden under street graffiti, dispels the wall to reveal secret path.
> Chuunin tells us how it was lucky they had found us and is glad we didn't head out on our own.
> Session ends after being told to pack up our things we want to take.
> Dosen't give us any tips on what we might need to take.
> Packs everything I can think of, extra clothes, toothpaste, my handsign scroll, etc.

> Next session
>Meet tall ass perv wearing red tinted glasses and short chipper woman, along with rugged Kage.
> Go through line, have to sit through a few Npcs having back and forths.
> I just want to see the new area so damn bad.
> The tall man is brother to the kage, attempts to smoothtalk the Samurai instructor.
> Gets shut down.
> Other player starts fangirling over him rp'ly after finding out he's both a jounin and Kage's brother.
> Gets given the red shades as a gift, but for the most part i'm just sitting here waiting for this social circle jerk to end.
>Go downstairs and get ushered to new temp dorm.
> Has water damaged carpets, few bunk beds, a dining room table for 6, Couch with a tv stand having only a poster showing the handsigns.
>Was split up into two groups, the ninjas in one room, the samurais in the other.
> Told to wait here until the evening, opening up "Free rp and Adjustment RP among ourselves."
>>
>>44540069
>How do I do that?

Listen to what foreverplayers on /tg/ say good GMs do.
>>
>>44534484
>In another, much goofier game that the other players were in the world's primary crop and monetary unit was spaghetti, because of a dispute that the PCs had in the first session over meatballs.

A world where spaghetti spilling out of your pockets means you're rich... /b/ would love that.
>>
>>44540094
> Open a door in the room, reveals a commons area for both groups to meet and creates a chat with everyone in it who enters.
>Wander into Samurai Side, they had a dick drawn on their wall, but one of the samurai PCs fixed it up by making it an elephant.
> Rp'ly win board game with players as time passes for a minutes.
> Guy barges in, Has a seven swordsman like blade and is brooding Sasuke-like shit, but Hozuki.
> Tells us to not interact with the Samurai players because were better than they are
> Also tells us if they do interact poorly towards us, to tell him so he can correct the issue.
> "But what about my Sister, were related by blood!"
> "Then i'll remove your blood, if you think that's a problem."
> Too fucking edgy
> Get told to go to class, two of the ninja players ignore the rule and talk to the Samurais.
> Samurais tell how they were forced to crawl on the ground and were hazed by the guy.
> Enter class, to learn henge, nobody except one person was able to learn it this session because everyone has a 0.5 genjutsu (By choice, wouldn't blame the GM on this since he did warn about skipping on Gen score.)
> Only learn Henge, nothing else
> This game is soo fucking slow
> "When do we fight the war?"
> "You guys are just barely scrapping at average adult male in skill, and are still in the last year as academy students, it might be a little."
> ARRGH
> Ends the night by letting us free rp after the session like usual.

This is where were up to now, but it's been so damn long and yet we haven't gotten a lot of action besides school bullies and eachother and were just now learning our jutsus.
I mean damn, I just feel like we'll never get into that war.
>>
>>44528560
That 200 meters in the OP image is even worse when you realize they were in a moving vehicle the whole time.
>>
>>44539768
Guy you replied to here.

Yes.

Just yes.
>>
>>44540163
Make your own action you stupid fuck, shit talk that one guy and rub butter on the floor in front of a door so someone trips.
>>
>>44539696
Perturbator

muh nigga
>>
>>44540229
If you call that action.
Were not getting to fight much besides spars and beating up kids.

I just want to go kill some Communists, damn.
>>
>>44540163
>e session like usual.
>This is where were up to now, but it's been so damn long and yet we haven't gotten a lot of action besides school bullies and eachother and were just now learning our jutsus.
>I mean damn, I just feel like we'll never get into that

Isn't naruto already 1980ish tech, or was it more the infrastructure like roads with buses and trains?

I was hoping for more, so far it looks like your GM at least understands pacing, even if he;s implementing it kinda poorly
>>
>>44540270
Yeah, we got more infastructure added in, such as subways and cafes.
The world is only one city, but it is kind of big and in depth, like one of the PCs is playing a weeaboo and took a few of us to a Neko maid cafe, where the dm had to gen up some maid and speak to the whole party in cat puns while taking their order.

Another time we got to go to an old school arcade and used our handsign skill stat and whatnot to play pacman or w.e.
>>
>>44540295
That actually sounds pretty interesting, so there is only the city, ravnica style? or is it just the city and the grey unknowns?

It sounds like more an issue of what you expected and how it opened vs what you;re actually getting to do in it. Did you talk to your gm and other players about this?
>>
File: Synthwave.png (137 KB, 2267x595) Image search: [Google]
Synthwave.png
137 KB, 2267x595
>>44540226
>found a synthwave torrent once, but can never find it again
Is it a good selection?
>>
File: 10 commandments of a good GM.png (557 KB, 1014x3387) Image search: [Google]
10 commandments of a good GM.png
557 KB, 1014x3387
>>44533944
here anon
>>
>>44540325
One big city, it has a bunch of fleshed out districts with lore, even the Religous district has this kind of thing where the Muramasa is sitting there, apparently suspended by an acient seal to contain it which I imagine is an item one of us will get down the road.

The outskirts are fleshed out, and the whole plot is pretty much us ninjas and Samurais are reduced to a dying breed in the central antique part of the city, roughly a total of only 30 of us left since a foreign goverment like the USA came in and banned the Nation's military excluding the Ninjas and Samurai families who are grandfathered in (Until they leave) so after awhile most of them kind of moved on or whatever leaving us with being the last batch to be trained unless we decide to have kids or w.e

A military base with the foreign power exists off the beach, but we got ushered off the beach in the evening by the military one day and some outside city limit districts exist, but we haven't gone to them, like a lumberyard and an industrial plant.
>>
>>44540370
so the foreign power was another district taking over?

I'm a bit confused.

Anyway, thanks for finishing, gonna wait a bit for a reply then pass out
>>
>>44540455
No, like there is a whole world but we can't really go into it.

It's just the military of another world power came in and took over this nation, and the city it takes place in has a military base set up by said power to keep checks and order on it.

So like a US military base in Japan, type of thing, but then make it more domineering on the population since it enforces cerfews and laws on the population.
>>
>>44540508
Ah, sounds good then, I was thinking that the whole world was a single city, not the game world,

Thanks
>>
>>44540527
Yeah, I feel it is pretty limiting since it probably means no plane rides to different places, least right now. But the city is pretty well put together with festivals and businesses to keep it going well-but I guess they are probably gone now, given the bombings.
>>
>>44540333
Yes, it very much is.
>>
>>44536396
>I shout "CHOO CHOO!"
That's pretty darn rude of you anon
>>
>>44530773
I had something like this happen to me.

One of my buddies (who was playing a good character at the time) pointed out the horseshit in the GM sending archangels out to get me. He said something like, "Yeah, okay, so Anon's character is a sneaky shit, but where are these archangels when we're fighting the real bad guys who are trying to destroy reality? Why aren't they going up against all the real threats, or at the very least helping us out? Where is the consistency and logic in this?"

Didn't save my character, but everyone else at the table agreed that I got a raw deal, so when I was making my new character, I wound up getting a ton of freebies.
>>
>>44536982
>>level 5 campaign
>>armys on the battlefield casting meteor swarms
That actually sounds like a lot of crazy fun.

>be level 5 new recruits
>thrown into trench warfare where wizards are casting meteor swarms on both sides and you're struggling to survive
>>
People should really sit down as a group and work out what each person 8s looking for before hand, so you know what is supposed to be going on and how much railroading the players are okay with, as well as how characters should be played.
>>
>>44540767
It's pretty darn rude, but when you already know the king is a bad guy as told by the gods, and someone pops up and says "the king might be a bad guy but play along with him" what are you going to do? It's obvious that the GM hasn't a clue what to do if the plot gets derailed.
>>
Hey guys, how would you feel if you were playing with a GM who used a poker game in one of the encounters with a local gangster and his dim witted lackey and the PC drew a hand of 5 aces and the gangster and his man argue because the lackey doesn't know how to stack cards right? And i would be using a physical deck with 5 aces. Is that cheesy, is it too much? It would bring a little comedic balance to the grimdark story im trying to orchestrate.
>>
>>44541616
That'd be a fun prop and I would be mildly amused and happy that you went to such lengths for that entertainment, though I would worry it'd be something you linger on too much.

I would give each player a hand and only one special 5 aces hand, so everyone gets to be involved, but other than that, go for it.
>>
>>44541650
It'll just be a one time thing and I'll add in all the pc's in it. And i'll add duplicates of cards for all the PC's hands so they go "Lol whut somethings wrong this deck is stacked."
>>
File: How to avoid Magical realms.png (184 KB, 839x1083) Image search: [Google]
How to avoid Magical realms.png
184 KB, 839x1083
>>44537214
>>44537259
>>44537099
In the same vein of this magical realm shit, here's something I really liked recently.
>>
>>44539696
Perturbator
Keepin' it real nigguh.
>>
Every time I read through these threads I feel like finding some excuse to cancel on my friends
>>
>>44537259
D:
>>
>>44536850
Man he fell into ALL the common pitfalls of a new DM

>Plans a single plot instead of a sandbox
>Doesn't expect player agency
>Fails to grasp fundamentals of game design
>>
>>ITT Ungrateful, entitled Players complain.
>>
File: Read the thread.gif (983 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Read the thread.gif
983 KB, 500x281
>>44543064
>>
>>44529717
Did you ever find out why poker pc got such special treatment?
>>
>>44542975
There's literally nothing wrong with not running a sandbox campaign. Sandboxes are annoying, difficult, and take a lot of effort to maintain.
>>
>>44530075
I'm not saying don't plan for your sessions, but no improv is far worse than bad improv.
(And the best way to get good at improvising is to do a ton of it.)
>>
>>44543273
On the other hand, you still need fallbacks if your BBEG gets shot first session because the paladin uses detect evil after the rogue steals his false alignment artifact.
>>
>>44543736

See >>44530283

The first island we did was the tutorial island to get the players used to combat, perception rolls, knowledge rolls, and stuff like that. Later on there will be more chance for improv stuff and I'm expecting to have to think on my feet with my players (they're all new to D&D but most of them are the type to try to think of odd things to do in the game that I didn't prepare for).
>>
>>44540264
Join up with the Samurai kids and become delinquents
>>
>>44531778
my sphsycic powers tell me... yes, you had mage friend... and he died? yes, yes it is all so clear...
the mage died... and the giant ran off into the forest... and you pursued the giant that just one shotted a PC...

no anon you are the autism
>>
>>44533464
people are suggesting rocks when you DM, but i have a better idea.
going off of what >>44533569 said, just have the holy kill squad in there. have them fuck that guy over, purely by chance. just keep doing it unil hes making minmaxed evil characters just to fight them.
then you can pull a neat story reveal that they were really the evil or some shit
>>
>>44533809
well, now you have to tell the story. how did they die to floor tiles?
>>
>>44528560
Sounds exactly like a game I joined years back, only the GM quit by the 8th session... because he got dropped out of uni because he couldn't be bothered to do any work.

Had exactly the same problems. Why do GM's do this bullshit?
>>
>>44534904
that story is still beautiful.
>lvl 40 commoner
>>
>>44534788
UPDATE to this: The GM had us over to his house today to roll up our characters, but for our character's physical appearance he made us use the FATAL system to determine our features. Luckily I rolled up a pretty normal, though abnormally large dicked and hunky character (fitting for my tanky ardent), but another player rolled a shortstacked nigger loli and the other is a hermaphrodite. The GMPC has also been revealed to be a catgirl and the GM has secretly rolled for our character's fetishes.

Stay tuned folks, this game might be a full Magical Realm deal with FATAL rules. Me and the loli player are already planning how we can try and Henderson the game should things get too much.
>>
>>44544435
>playing FATAL
I hope you're not thinking about staying friends with that guy.
>>
>>44533180
Allingment is bad?
If you don't know whether your character is evil or not..why the fuck are you playing?
>hurrr I wanna do what I want!!
>fine then. Play cn or ne and stick to it
>>
>>44534030
Amen.

Same with any setting, IMO.
You don't play a (x) class for 'balance', you play it because that is what you want to play.
>>
File: d59.jpg (53 KB, 720x471) Image search: [Google]
d59.jpg
53 KB, 720x471
>>44531606
>Being this childish and petty
>>
>>44544280
There's not much of a story, the dungeon was Zelda themed, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, and one of the Zelda rooms I tried to adapt was the room where the floor tiles fly at you. This didn't work at all in D&D, as there wasn't anything for the players to do aside from get hit repeatedly. In the end my poorly thought out exercise in statistics ended with way more hits on the players than expected, and was the closest thing to a TPK in the whole campaign.
>>
>>44544497
We're playing 3.5e, using FATAL for character appearance. Though if anything more FATAL leaks in Im going to an hero all over his gaming table.
>>
>>44544957
If he manages to use the rules from FATAL I'd be more impressed than anything. They aren't even internally consistent. I'm not sure they're even complete, and what is there is over complicated to the point of being incomprehensible.
>>
>>44543814
That's why you should always run a contained sandbox. Give the players freedom to do what they want in the overarching plot, but have ways on hand to shoo them back to a major thread if they start losing interest or if they are running off in an inane direction.
>>
>>44534904
Wow, what shit group and shit DM.
Also nice way to completely fuck over the retard DM by actually using a legit way to kill the big bad.
>>
File: 1446254796762.jpg (39 KB, 389x600) Image search: [Google]
1446254796762.jpg
39 KB, 389x600
>>44539696
Gob bless you, anon
now I know who to throw my money at
>>
>>44529279
because i'd rather play with myself with spectators than watch several players's pathetic attempt at "roleplaying"
>>
>>44543814
This why my BBEG is going to have about 7-8 identical copies of himself running around causing havoc and trying to make more of himself. Kill one, 2 more rise to take their place.
>>
>refuse to say anything about the campaign
>only that we not minmax
>kay
>every antagonist ever has DR over the roof to our attacks and even immunity to some of them
>"kek, this is your fault for picking these weak clases"
>>
File: Falcon.jpg (22 KB, 584x321) Image search: [Google]
Falcon.jpg
22 KB, 584x321
>>44545891

>Explicitly tells you not to build powerful characters
>Trots out extremely powerful enemies
>Laughs at your inability to beat them with weak characters
>Find which kidney he likes the most
>Punch him in it
>>
>>44530773
I get not wanting evil characters or a character that works with an evil antagonist cult, but.... why did the DM have an NPC approach you with a job offer from them if he didn't want that?!
>>
Want a fucking terrible DM story?

>We have been in a game for literally 4 years
>We started out on the literally level 1 road to adventure.
>We have done some shit. Alot of shit.
>DM introduces his psychotic girlfriend
I have, as a side note, put plenty of that girl stories in various threads here about her. Shes 48 years old, has broken items at the table from anger over dice, has cried loudly and openly, and hes literally chased females away from our area. She plays a half angel, half demon scion of a deity who sent choirs to back her up. But i digress
>Ok, rest of the group hates her, but we had about 3 years invested at this point
>We roleplay circles around her, DM just dumping bullshit powerful items
>Whatever. its our stories that are important. We are all setting up end game well.
>She starts taking the show. All our quests are stopped. We are helping her do things
>Still bend it to our goals.
>4 years now. We have put up with this cunt for a year to see the end of our story

This morning.....
>"Looking to start a 5e campaign. My regular campaign has been postponed. But looking to start fresh."

When asked he just goes, "Can you join? Bummer". His fucking cunt of a girlfriend only like splaying with people who want her to be in the spotlight. I know for a fact he cancelled it because she told him to. After 4 fucking years of well placed plans, out the fucking window. Its a mix of relief and anger.
>>
>>44530773
Chaotic Neutral: When you want to commit atrocities but don't want to set off anyone's Detect Evil radar.
>>
>>44546405
Couldn't one of you take up the mantle of DM and continue your game? Just make your character the DMPC
I'm sure your friends will be grateful, and you can get the ending you deserve.
>>
>>44546473
I think we are all just so disgusted at this point that its sort of a lost cause. we started to lose hope when all of our goals somehow hindged on wether or not she was able to do what she wanted. It was so bad to the point that the DM didnt know jack aboiut what we wanted to do but would explain in huge detail about half demon cunt girlfriend. We mostly lead it in our direction strictly on roleplay and intrigue that would cause the GM alot of discredit if he pulled shit out of his ass to stop it.

Guy wasnt a bad GM, was actually pretty cool old school kind of guy, but it turned into him just playing out the bitches fanfic.
>>
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 67x100) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 67x100
>>44546548
At least take heart in that no one will want to play the 5e game. Not for long anyone. The moment they hear 'my girlfriend' and 'half angle half demon' they'll be out of there like a bat out of hell. (Hopefully)
No one else will suffer like you did.
>>
File: i have sad.png (80 KB, 450x480) Image search: [Google]
i have sad.png
80 KB, 450x480
>>44546405
Oh hey! I remember you!

Sounds like the campaign finally met a shitty end... sorry to hear that man.
>>
File: 1450839693996.jpg (29 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
1450839693996.jpg
29 KB, 384x384
>Group is discussing character actions during a moment of downtime
>GM gets massively triggered by one of them and unironically declares that rocks fall

Who knew someone secretly having a dick would be such a big deal?
>>
File: 1371324042181.jpg (11 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1371324042181.jpg
11 KB, 251x242
>>44547365
Another player in this group. This needs elaboration:

>Group heavily collaborates on backstories and character relations, game is very character driven, GM is cool with this and generally a great guy
>Two of our PCs end up in a relationship together
>Never any weird stuff ingame, it's mostly played off as comic relief, everyone loves it and has a giggle at their shenanigans
>We always keep the lewd stuff to private chats
>Important character development happened in one of these lewder off screen sessions which we reference later on since the developments were important
>GM wants logs because it's not canon if he didn't see/approve the mini session that occured
>Gets butthurt when he realizes the character development involved one of the characters' insecurities about having a penis (the character in question was female, hence why the situation was awkward), a character trait he didn't know about or approve of
>GM immediately just TPKs us because he's an insecure cunt and doesn't have an open mind
>mfw
>>
How do you two know you're from the same group? You talked about posting this together?
>>
>>44547532
IRC Boogeyman
>>
>new to GMing
>group is close friends so I'm not that worried about angering them and they know they can tell me if I'm not making the game fun for them

I'm still constantly afraid of ruining this for them. I'm also pretty bad at making shit up on the spot if they start diverging to much from the story. How horrible am I if I told them the the first couple of sessions will be a bit railroaded so I can set everything up and then they'll have more freedom? I'm talking with them about their characters so I can tweak the story so and make it seem that what will happen is something their characters would do but I still feel kinda bad.
>>
>>44547503
I feel ya... but frogposting is bad, anon.
>>
>>44531638
HEY FUCK OFF THE MEMES ARE GOOD
>>
I've had a few doozies in my time, but the one I always remember is from my first 3.5 game. Happened a couple of years ago, and was the second game I had ever been in

>Guy from the dorm offers to run a D&D game, knows that people are interested
>3.5, which many of us hadn't played before, but we had the core books to look through
>Game starts, everyone is still not comfortable roleplaying, but we get the hang of it
>Retrieve the six mystical Plot Orbs, find out we have to place them in six temples, all over the world to bring back some gods to fight evil cosmic horror.
>We get stuck travelling around, going in order from temple to temple, killing whatever dumb boss we kill in two rounds, and activating the orbs to get magic weapons that no one wanted
>This goes on, eventually we get skipped up to level 20 for the last session, with all the gods and armies and whatever the fuck else assembled
>Eldritch abomination is scheduled to appear. It was the gnome mayor from the first village. Even though it was supposed to be sealed away for thousands of years
>Stops time except for us, so all the sessions we wasted collecting gods was for naught.
>Rogue pickpockets a watch off him, I Transmute Metal to Wood, hoping to break it and and the effect
>"Oh, that was just a normal pocketwatch it didn't do anything"
>Half the group kills themselves, the others decide to ride out into the new universe he was creating.
>>
>>44547621
My general strategy is to tell them the basis of the campaign is X, so make character that will have a reason to do/be X.

Ex.:
You're all going to meet as military recruits, make sure you characters have reasons for joining the military.

The setting is based on the Roanoke Expedition, make sure you have reasons for joining a trip to the new world.

You're all going to be members of the Cartographer's guild, a major organization of explorers and adventurers, make sure you have reason to join them.
>>
>>44547625
>using an image on an an imageboard is bad, anon
>>
>>44547895
>frogposters are the cancers of tg
And you've just proven my point.
>>
>>44547625
That's an acceptable frog image anon, get your shit straight.
>>
>>44539892
Eh, I think I was being a bit bitchy last night.
Dm is a pretty good one, Total boss as worldbuilding and manages to actually simulate 20+ NPCS that are actually interesting and not just nameless civilians.

I was just a bit upset by the lack of action immediately, but I guess the start was slow to allow build up and relations, though i'd have rather just went in hacking and fireballing Communists, to be honest.
>>
File: fullretardarmor.jpg (712 KB, 700x3200) Image search: [Google]
fullretardarmor.jpg
712 KB, 700x3200
>Playing AD&D with my friends since 10 years
>The only DM is a good guy, but also a control freak
>One day, he decided that we needed more players (we were already six)
>He's starting to play with younger players. We're around 25 and they're around 17-20
>Compared to our main characters, they're of course in late. So he's giving too many XP, magic items and shit, just in order to bring them in the main campaign, with us.
>This campaign is about a dragon "who's soon to be god". Even Tiamat is shit compared to him
>Six months later, these guys are more powerful than any older player
>We're upset but the DM is unable to erase his mistakes. So he's going full retard.
>Now, he tries to "boost" the older guys with some "sets" (usually, an armor and a weapon, tied together for some reasons)
>The first "sets" are overpowered as fuck
>Everyone is upset, so he's slowly giving a set to each player "because you'll need to be powerful if you want to kill this dragon"
>Of course, my turn is coming.
>Pic related, this is an armor with a shield and a sword for my paladin. It's in french but as you can see, it's full of statistics.
>After one year without killing the fucking dragon, everyone has his set. Now, even a basic attack is full of maths and all the older players has stopped playing, while the youngers are happy with that.

On the bright side, i've spent six months to fuck the hottie from the new group
>>
>>44548231
Why not just wean them off and say something like, the magic from the sets are slowly fading or something along the lines,
>>
>>44530540
try telling this to some people on /tg/. If they aren't allowed to play their special snowflake, überpowerful, loli, shit characters and break the world they will start shouting about railroading; not caring that they are ruining the game for everyone else.
>>
>>44548321
Because the DM, who was a huge control freak, was unable to accept the fact that we didn't loved his fucking sets.
And of course, every armor was impossible to remove. For exemple, my armor was full of syringes, planted in my character's body and "if you remove it, you'll die instantly.
At the end, when we stopped playing, he was thinking of an adventure where each characters was supposed to bring his set in a giant volcano...
>>
File: 1434075070039.png (206 KB, 719x720) Image search: [Google]
1434075070039.png
206 KB, 719x720
>>44548231
I'm a french speaker, but this chicken scratch is completely fucking impossible to decipher.

And even if it were readable, I think I'd sooner want to hit the DM in the balls with the largest zucchini that I can find than indulge myself to two entire pages worth of bullshit stats for bullshit magic items.
>>
>>44542094
>not listening to VHS Glitch
>>
>>44547503

Can't blame him for wanting to get rid of your magical realm, faggot.
>>
File: fullretardagain.jpg (863 KB, 700x4046) Image search: [Google]
fullretardagain.jpg
863 KB, 700x4046
>>44548562
But wait, there's more.
I've completely forgot this armor, made for an other character. 3 pages. 3 fucking pages for a single armor.
>>
>>44549308
Can someone who speaks French translate this? I sadly cannot due to learning Spanish instead of French.
>>
Long-winded, but relevant story about the last time I tried playing 3.5. It was with a bunch of friends of the DM, so I knew most of the people at least socially, but had only ever played with two of them.

>DM tells us to roll up level 12 characters for a "very high fantasy" setting (his words), where the entire world is split into many small islands because of some cataclysm many eons ago
>He goes on about how it's going to have a heavy seafaring theme, which I guess makes sense, but also constantly drops hints about some pseudo-nippon island chain. I guess this was his reasoning for allowing shit like monks or something? It does play in later, but why he pushed it is beyond me
>Insists we munchkin, with ANY 3.5 book available, as this will be a hard campaign, but also insists we play "diverse and different" races to make sure the game is "interesting," whatever that means
>Seeing as there's so much ocean, I ask if I can make a generic qt3.14 mermaid bard, using that prestige class that lets you take sorcerer spells later on so I wouldn't be totally useless (I forget it's name, it's been a while)
>Tell him I want to play her super chummy, the "I wanna be friends with everybody" type, and will pretty much play the role of support slut
>The DM LOVES this, and goes on special snowflaking her far more than I ever would, making her a relative of the now eternally slumbering seadragon goddess or something, and that's why I'm so awesome
>Sure, why not?
>Good friend, one of the ones I've played with, rolls a half dragon knight, and plays it up that he's protecting my character because of her noble bloodline, and again the DM creams himself
>Bit homo, but I play along because I think the idea is cute, and I'm a fag for that shit
>DM wants us to join the party already knowing each other so it works for our story, and we agree, not knowing what anyone else is, and ensures us we'll all work together great
>>
>>44549408
>First session starts a few days later, and after being told to wait in the living room for like an hour, the DM drags us into a tavern (whoo!) where 4 humans and a duskling await us
>Two clerics, a paladin/fighter thing (never asked), an unbearable That Guy I've met only once before playing a CN sorcerer, and the other guy I've played with is a duskling totemist
>Immediately get verbally assaulted IC, because these guys, save for the totemist who they apparently just met, are sailors, and they hate me for being a mermaid... for some reason
>Get told by the GM right there that sirens are merfolk in his setting, and that everyone will hate me no matter where I go. Because, again, reasons
>Decide to try and play along with my now apparently crippling social weakness, and get the "Oh well, I guess we'll tolerate you" speech from the other PCs

>Sessions continue as my character is pretty much told to fuck off and not participate in any sort of mediation or social event, while the game is pretty much turned into ship sailing simulator, with the occasional pirate attack and tavern visit to be railroaded to the next port, all the while the CN sorcerer is made party leader for no other good reason then he says "I know these parts!" and the DM nods
>The clerics and paladin players just outright leave (though they were assholes, maybe I should've taken their hint), but a group friend I actually knew really well and actually liked joins up as a horribly unoptimized mess of what was apparently a character he ran from a few campaigns with the same DM a while back that fizzled out
>...which the sorcerer somehow knows because only now do we learn this is a character he's been running in the DM's other campaigns with other people since level 2, thanks to the new guy telling us this and the DM shamefully admitting to
>Besides all this, I still stick around
>>
>>44549451
>Sometime around session 4, my character gets kidnapped and killed, without my say in any of this, as a shit attempt to push the knight's story along
>DM plays this up like an apology for making me a social pariah, and lets me roll a new character at the party level of now 14 who the party will meet when they go to weebland
>As an obvious joke, I made a warforged Monk/Ninja/Shadowsage abomination of a cyborg ninja narutard weeb wet dream, mostly just to piss on the DM's setting and handed it to him along with all the techniques I took from the weeb magic book
>He did say any 3.5 book, right?
>The DM is surprisingly cool with it, in the midset that "Hah, rogues are weak" for some bizarre reason
>The next few sessions turn into my character solo-ing encounters and bosses because the DM can't find a way to stop my character from using his weeb magic and turning pretty basic ass pirates into demonstrations of the instant kills from MGR
>Rules Of Nature.mp3
>All the while, the rest of the party, including myself to an extent, is left shit on story-wise because it is now completely obvious the story revolves around sorcerer
>>
>>44549502
>Eventually, we encounter the king of the pirates, who is feared from nation to nation for his super scary magic items or something generic, even though he was never mentioned earlier
>The DM sets up his table with a bunch of small boxes as boats and claims this will be a very long drawn out naval battle
>I decide "Yeah, fuck that" and teleport from boat to boat worse than anime bullshit and eventually appear at the command ship where the king is for some reason at the wheel steering
>Passing all of my stealth checks, using weeb techniques, and just genuinely being lucky with my rolls, the DM nods as I confirm that no one knows I'm there and go for a sneak attack on the pirate king
>DM allows it
>Telports behind, unzips katana, "nothing personnel" etc. etc.
>I roll a nat-fucking-20, and using my incredibly shitty named techniques, I do something retarded like 367 damage
>We all sit there patiently, as the DM just looks dumbfounded at the number I just said
>Demands to see my character sheet, and then spends the next 15 minutes demanding answers for shit he apparently had no clue even existed, even though I showed him my sheet before even introducing the character and made sure to get the okay
>I was being petty by making the character, yeah, but I don't cheat
>Gets all in a tizzy and OPENLY ADMITS that the socerer was supposed to kill what I now realize was his endgame BBEG
>Oops
>>
>>44549566
>Now, with this knowledge, That Guy CN Sorcerer chimes in that it was bullshit that my character was better than his
>DM retcons my stabbing, and without any say in it, my character is instead left "dumbfounded and confused!" as pirate king grabs his blade before it enters him, apparently able to see me the entire time
>The DM has him pull out some magic amulet, while still holding my sword, and uses it to cast greater teleportation or some shit, making his entire fleet just disappear as a free action
>My warforged is just left bobbing in the water, with a blade that apparently was "snapped in half by the pirate king's immense strength"
>The DM tells me right then and there he "won't allow" my character anymore, and that I have to roll a new one

Needless to say, I just stopped showing up, and the other players save for That Guy followed suit. To this day (that was almost 2 years ago), the DM still doesn't get why we just bailed on his campaign
>>
>>44547503
While the GM certainly overreacted, you really should get characters approved by the GM before playing. That's just common courtesy.
>>
>>44540333
>No VHS Glitch
Inferior Mortal
>>
>>44545608
See, while there are better ways of doing a plot, you are already much better a GM at someone who says "no, you don't stab the BBEG in the neck, you let him go after he laughs about his evil evil plot."
>>
>>44549308
>sim jewel above the head
>>
>>44529809
What are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>44549614

Good thing that you left. And you should be honest with this shitty gm. I would do that in front of That Guy anyway.
>>
File: 1449713149002.png (319 KB, 315x400) Image search: [Google]
1449713149002.png
319 KB, 315x400
>>44537214
>i turn into a moped. beep beep!
>>
>>44549308
For the essentials things on first page :
Angel's set

A tiara who give immunity to blindness, illusions and mental control. She also allows to read the alignements, cast some "eternal light" and detect any dangers.

A mantle who gives a better armor class against the evil creatures, allows to fly really fast, turn the undeads, devils and demons. Cure the diseases, curses and heal the wounds.

The breastplate also gives a better armor class against the evil creatures, allows to teleport with one person "in a safe place". There also a passive healing (5HP each round...), an immunity to "every fire and electricity spells" while poisons and ice spells are doing half damages. Oh and the owner just need to sleep one hour each night, while and don't need to drink and eat. And you can also breath underwater.
>>
>>44546405
She broke stuff from being angry at dice? Ok, my curiosity is picked now, is it possible to find any of those threads on the suptg-archive, and if yes, what do I search?
>>
>game of Inquisitor with some old friends in HS
>DM is excited to start DMing
>I'm excited to start playing
>other party members border after making characters
>start telling the DM they do stupid shit
>DM allows it
>gets exceedingly worse
>"you walk into the store, the shopkeeper see's you're with the inquisition and greets you accordingly"
>'greetings inquisitor, we have just about anything you can think of'
>"I order a slurpie"
>this is 40k dude, they don't have slurpies
>"well I want a slurpie"
"Yeah, me too"
>well okay, you guys order slurpies then

Admittedly, the DM isn't completely at fault here, but if the fucker just said no every now and again the game would have actually been fun. Little bit of railroading, but not a bad premise
>>
>>44528560
have you considered not playing dnd
>>
>>44549982
What's in the OP can easily be applied to any system if you change a few words.
>>
>>44543213
He not only knew when to hold em, he also knew when to fold em. Sadly, it seems no one knew when to walk away, or when to run.
>>
>>44547625
I long for the day I can retire to the countryside and collect rare Pepes.
>>
>>44548154
[citation needed]
>>
>>44549830
Second page

Wristbands who gives a better armor class, two more attacks for each rounds, some lightning to cast, a telekinetic power for moving 500 Kg of shits and split waters like fucking Moise.

A tabard, because of World of Warcraft... So, more armor class, can detect the level of anyone, their weapons and alignments. There's also an immunity to disintegration, mental control, poison, charm, a better resistance to paralysis and a "small chance" (2% for each wisdom and intelligence points) to detect the invisible things.

The sandals grant an immunity of... falling? Well, you can't fall on the ground with those shits. You can also do some "fabulous leaps", between 50 and 100 meter, run two time faster than any horse and walk on the water, like fucking Jesus.

The sword grants a better damages against evil shit. But if you point her somewhere, you can grow plants, clear the sky, repulse any animals, split any kinds of rocks and curse any creatures.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.