[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are knives deadly in your setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 16
Are knives deadly in your setting?
>>
>>44526771
My current setting is in the Stone-age with a strong focus on shamanism and the power of the spirits/ancestors/nature, focused through icons and relics. A pot of pure Springwater to summon rain spirits, amulets of brimstone to ward off burning ghosts, a club of bone and stone channels the strength of the one whose bone was used, etc.

A metal knife would be like a loose nuke in Syria. Everybody would want that shit. It'd give you exclusive access to a domain of spirits no-one has ever seen.
>>
File: 1451269286434.gif (2 MB, 624x335) Image search: [Google]
1451269286434.gif
2 MB, 624x335
Depends. Get jumped by some lowlife thug with a rusty shank? You're going down, but you'll probably live as long as he didn't hit anything important. Get your throat slit by someone who knows how to use one? Hope the party knows where you are so they can find your body.

Pic semi-related.
>>
>>44526771

Isn't this more of a system question than a setting question?
>>
>>44526928
I want to play your setting Anon
>>
>>44526771
About as deadly as any other pointy bit of metal.
>>
>>44526771
No, oddly enough. Everything is impervious to any blade less than two fingers across and a foot in length.
Once it's dead, knives acna be used on the corpse but until then even babies have a knife proof field.
>>
They certainly can be. One of the most dangerous people to have been encountered in our game was an octopus woman skilled a very close unarmed and knife combat. Getting that close was pretty much a death sentence for anyone.
>>
>>44526942
>managing a perfect Missing Kid into a Scottsdale Rapes and finish with a Perfect Storm
Best feeling in the world.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
>>44526963
>>
>>44526994

I don't understand.
>>
>>44526991
Are these pretentious names for sword flourishes or something? Names for game tropes?
>>
Yes, they do lethal damage
>>
>>44527056

They're listed on the side of the news bar, these are just a bunch of short news bits on a rundown list for when there's no big story to really cover.
>>
>>44526771
Yeah, but so is 3 inches of water.
>>
>>44526771

They're 1d4+modifier so it really depends on how many hit points you have.

Or if it's a magic knife, because you don't want to fuck around with those.
>>
>>44526771
My setting is Monsters and Other Childish Things, they're dangerous to children and people but they'd get you fucking arrested. They'd work on monsters to but if you get in a knife fight with a monster you WILL lose. Hell if you get into any fight with a monster that doesn't involve another monster you'll lose.
>>
>>44526928

Iron in some mythologies is seen as a killer of spirits, fey, and gods, that metaphorically the progression of man and his ability to shape the world actively destroys the mythical nature of the world around him.

It could be literally true in that setting, where Iron is indeed the spirit-killer, and those whom it scars are separated from the spirit world forever. In this instance, it would be the ultimate power, and also be the ultimate game-changer, with the PCs tasked with either using it responsibly or destroying it.

Also, see mouseguard for something similar.
>>
File: tumblr_n3oglkG0Qp1r7emyeo1_1280.jpg (259 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3oglkG0Qp1r7emyeo1_1280.jpg
259 KB, 1280x853
>>44526771
I run GURPS so knives are in fact ridiculously deadly, as is everything else.
>>
>>44527146
>"3 inches of water"
This unique enchanted knife handle is rather unusual, as it clearly has no place for a blade to be fitted. Placing into water will cause the handle to gather the water into the shape of a knife with all the sharpness and material strength of a high quality blade.
Using it in the traditional manner can be useful to avoid leaving tracers of easily scryable blood. More interestingly however is if the blade is held flat against the mouth, the blade's water will actively seek to choke the victim until death. Once used in this manner, the handle must be resubmerged for a fresh blade.
It is believed the Empress of Goranth may have been slayed by this blades having apparently died of drowning on a trip into the interior desert, but it has never been proven.
>>
>>44527271

Sounds unrealistic desu, knives aren't really deadly in the real world anymore due to overwhelming police presence and trauma care.
>>
>>44527323
>is this nigga serious
Three inches of abdominal penetration is still fatal, anon.
>>
File: litany against bait.png (17 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
litany against bait.png
17 KB, 600x600
>>44527323
>>
>>44527323
Anon there can be 200 cops and medic staff right out the door and that's not going to save you if I shove a few inches of metal into your ribs a few dozen times
>>
>>44527027
Idiots post fedoras whenever they get triggered.
>>
>>44526963
i guess so
>>
File: 1447817437821.gif (572 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1447817437821.gif
572 KB, 320x240
>>44526928
This is some good shit, anon, you should be proud
>>
>>44527323
the thug stabs the anon in the head with the steal blade tearing the skin and jaming the skull through the brain

i i havent auctualy played dwarf fortress in a while.
>>
File: 1447122372760.jpg (54 KB, 625x262) Image search: [Google]
1447122372760.jpg
54 KB, 625x262
>>44527323
>>
File: 1370283158662.jpg (179 KB, 700x469) Image search: [Google]
1370283158662.jpg
179 KB, 700x469
>>44527253
This is how I do it. Cold iron fucks faeries up hardcore, but it's metal that you can't work hot or with also-worked tools, since then you introduce magic to the metal by doing that and it becomes just plain worked iron, which annoys fae but doesn't eat at their flesh like freezing cold acid. So you either have to beat raw iron ore with inferior tools or your bare hands into something that can kill, or find a natural sharp 'blade' of it, or find a meteor or deep deep magma deposit where it's still hot and you can trick it into a shape with cold hand work and maybe a stone cast or two.

Otherwise, the fae have their own magic metals, and then there's a divine metal that EVERYONE, everyone, wants badly enough to murder kingdoms over a single chunk of the stuff; since it's part divine, it essentially acts as a wonder material for anything you use it for, weapon, armor, magic, electronics, you name it.
>>
>>44527276
I'm stealing this, just giving you a heads-up
>>
>>44527358
>>44527372
>>44527525
>>44527529

Guys, the "to be honest" that got word-filtered should have tipped you off desu
>>
>>44527757

What are you talking about senpai
>>
>>44527743
OC knife pls donut steel and use in settings to have fun and fluff out worlds with. pls no I will write in my blog and tell the internet warlocks to curse your dwnload spd.

Yeah but really I like odd artifacts in the world. Stuff enchanters and outsiders made for non-obvious reasons or relic items that have picked up magic.
>>
File: Imperialknights.jpg (187 KB, 477x651) Image search: [Google]
Imperialknights.jpg
187 KB, 477x651
>>44527276
Unrelated but it reminded me I need to keep working on my knightly order of Jedi-knockoffs who all use 'swords' that are actually industrial ultratech water cutters that they modified for melee.
>>
>>44527917
Do they all have huge water tanks on their backs, with hoses going down to the weapon?
>>
>>44527674
>So you either have to beat raw iron ore

Iron ore is a rock. Iron is a metal. No amount of hammering will turn the ore into the metal. Lots of heat and charcoal is what it takes.
>>
>>44527961
Nope. Since it's ultratech, they don't need those; normally they're just huge saws meant to cleave through metal and the like by recycling a stream of water through the device at incredibly high speeds and pressures. Thus, you can 'modify' the blade by using different liquids which are compatible with the system, but you eventually have to refill it since you lose a little water every time you hit something.

Some DO use backpacks though, for modified blades, or to have a supply around for a huge fight or huge target.
>>
>>44527989
Yeah yeah I know. Nobody cares about those details in the game. What matters is 'oh this is made of cold iron, great, we need to conserve the hell out of this for when the faeries come running in'
>>
>>44527253
> the progression of man and his ability to shape the world actively destroys the mythical nature of the world around him.

You could take it the opposite way. As man learns more about the world and his ability to shape it, previously unseen spirits and mythic qualities become apparent.

Some are overjoyed at humankind, and our ability to bring them new uses and experiences. Others are not so friendly.
>>
My GURPS character got stabbed while dealing with a plane hijacking in her last mission, It put her down, but she still had enough left in her thanks to advantages to finish the struggle in the cockpit.

She was functionally incapacitated, but the flight carried a well-stocked medical kit, and there was, as there tends to be in these scenarios, a doctor on board.

So yes, knives are lethal, but as with a lot of life-threatening injuries, prompt medical attention can make a lot of difference. Assuming you aren't killed immediately.
>>
>>44526771
Gurps 4e, a supers game built around martial arts.

In the hands of the average person or goon, no. In the hands of a PC-tier or higher fighter, a knife is 4-5 times as deadly as an assault rifle. It hits as hard if not harder, is more accurate, and can deflect bullets.
>>
File: 1311603778372.jpg (91 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1311603778372.jpg
91 KB, 323x323
>>44528932
>In the hands of a PC-tier or higher fighter, a knife is 4-5 times as deadly as an assault rifle. It hits as hard if not harder, is more accurate, and can deflect bullets.

Last time I checked knives don't have a range of 500+ yards and travel at supersonic speeds
>>
>>44528994
Then you haven't checked while supers were using them.
>>
>>44528994

Many people claim that a knife is a shitty weapon.

In most systems, that's correct as no mather how good the combat stats are, they're still melee.

Besides, most GMs get pissed off when you ghost their security checkpoint because you convinced the party that you didn't have to solve every encounter with a driveby.
>>
File: 1446401031806.jpg (41 KB, 520x536) Image search: [Google]
1446401031806.jpg
41 KB, 520x536
>>44528994
>>44529037

Bullets can be parried, and can't be used to make deceptive attacks past -1-that's a penalty to the defender's defence roll. So against a PC-level or more skilled person, if you fire full auto on them from an ambush, they will whip around, draw their knife, and expertly deflect all the bullets (or dodge, if they're feeling less showy). If they're feeling real showy, they'll catch the bullets mid-flight too.

Knives and other melee weapons have no cap on their deceptive attack modifiers, so they can do -3 or -4 to the defender's roll-if you're good enough. And the people who are good enough to parry bullets are good enough to do insanely hard to follow knife techniques.

The gun relies less on personal ability, which is great for people who can't do supers bullshit. It's a liability for people who can.
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg?1.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg?1.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>44529571
>>Bullets can be parried, and can't be used to make deceptive attacks past -1-that's a penalty to the defender's defence roll. So against a PC-level or more skilled person, if you fire full auto on them from an ambush, they will whip around, draw their knife, and expertly deflect all the bullets (or dodge, if they're feeling less showy). If they're feeling real showy, they'll catch the bullets mid-flight too.

This bullshit reads like pic related wrote it.
>>
>>44526991
Took me a second, but you magnificent bastard

Setting? Yea, I like knives and other such precision weapons to be scary, with slitting throats and sneak attacks to spines doing what they should. System? ehhh I'm running LotFP so I just hourserule these things into play with the occasional dice to tell me you hit.

Now when I get my hands on the Band of Bastards demo today, it'll be an entirely different ballgame. Deadly shanking, yes please
>>
File: Saitama_OK.jpg (29 KB, 375x305) Image search: [Google]
Saitama_OK.jpg
29 KB, 375x305
>>44529620

Mind you, it's not *easy* to learn how to parry bullets. Supers bullshit and all. But it is a thing a starting PC can do, and thus any baseline character of import in this game can do. It's a GURPS game about people with wizard magic and insane kung-fu abilities hopping across dimensions to fight injustice; it is not about gunplay. Guns do not have to be, and should not be, viable options for combat use.

It's certainly very unrealistic, but when doing a sort of fightmans anime/fighting game rpg, it's very much appropriate.
>>
>>44529788
So it IS pic related.
>>
1d4+str or dex modifier, so it depends on the person
>>
>>44529788
>people with wizard magic and insane kung-fu abilities hopping across dimensions to fight injustice

To each their own and all that, but damn that's retarded
>>
>>44529788

Colo claw aka saganfan83 detected
>>
Yes, Knives can be very deadly.
>>
>>44529620
I guess Mgr would really trigger you
>>
File: K4_gg.jpg (415 KB, 1600x1084) Image search: [Google]
K4_gg.jpg
415 KB, 1600x1084
>>44529620
>>44529877
>>44529822
>>44528994

do you people not like CUHRAZEE?
>>
>>44527073

Usually just a d6 hand to hand killing attack, they'll kill someone unarmored or even armoured if you don't have resistant defense. Thier first fight was againt a 50 strength brick with a bowie knife, he messed up a powersuit pretty bad, the mentalist had to take him down.
>>
>>44526771
>>44526928
>>44526942

> tfw my BBEG is actually a guy that jumps from the shadows and shanks you with a rusty sharpenned spoon he may or may not have ridden in his anus.
>>
>>44526771
No, but if you're using one it will hit where you want it to, and advantage of getting up close. Which means in some circumstances actually yes.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.