[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lenore, the game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10
File: lenore.png (1 MB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
lenore.png
1 MB, 800x800
Alright, ladies and gents as promised, I appear offering forth the starts of a new Lenore and more importantly a Lenore based game. One of grit and survival on everyone's favorite Alien hell hole. So, to begin and explain:
>This is Lenore, but not the Lenore of past threads, it is based roughly two centuries into a possible future where things didn't go as planned. Most of the world is still stuck at a medieval to early industrial state for a myriad number of reasons.
> The confederacy is dead, /tg/ lives on but the coalition of city-states that live there have largely fallen apart.
>the focus for now will be on where /tg/, /k/ /b/ and a several other boards are. This is a large chunk of land and can be chewed on forawhile.
>this game will be using Kartharsys/Degenesis as the base as its a pretty simple straightforward system and suits me fine to use.

That said, without further ado. Welcome back to Lenore.
>>
File: rider_by_myriancipher.jpg (430 KB, 993x804) Image search: [Google]
rider_by_myriancipher.jpg
430 KB, 993x804
>>44526625
I'm assuming the waves finally stopped at some point and all that delicious technology long dead, disassembled and decayed.
>>
>>44526625
As with Degenesis the core of Lenore's game will focus around the three Cs Culture, concept and Cult. Cultures are to some extent laid out. They need fluff but they are as follows.

>Tagadem: what was once a vast jungle has been at least in places tamed. A land of strange extremes it was once home to the Confederacy. In its highest days it's men plied the seas and traveled the world. That was a century ago. Now, the jungles push back and the cults desperately try to hold onto past glories.(mostly /tg/)

>Kulda: The northern Forests on the eastern half of the vast northern bay. Here the Merchant cult of the Kventri play games of economics and the eginigmatic Kalashasa monks reside.

>Yanking: The island nations off the coast of tagadem. The coast lines are plagued by pirates that ply the waters from this bustling land. Traders run up and down the coast bringing in exotic goods and slaves.

>Berahm: The lands comprised from the east coast to the mountains and down to the start of the jungles. Berahm is now mostly vast field of orange-gold grass.

>>44526818
long since passed. Its been two hundred years since the last wave.
>>
File: scalewolf_by_myriancipher.jpg (155 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
scalewolf_by_myriancipher.jpg
155 KB, 1024x765
>>44526840
How about a brief historical update? History will direct the flow and give us an idea of where things are going.
Without an idea of how or why things changed the way they did, it may as well be an entirely new setting.
>>
File: 1389300219359.png (3 MB, 1500x1084) Image search: [Google]
1389300219359.png
3 MB, 1500x1084
>>44526840
obviously these need some fleshing out(as well as mechanical bonuses etc). But they are a starting point. That said, some major cults as currently stands.

>The Guilders: When the confederacy fell the guilders were born. From the ashes of a stillborn nation a thirst for order took hold. The guilds of Kog along with Central Supply over time coalesced into the cult that now controls several large cities in Tagadem. They desperately work to instill civilized life among the people creating vast public works and bringing roads, bridges and law where they travel too. Sometimes by force.

>The rangers: Once it was said the Rangers dwelled in the cities and were part of the Guilders. That time has long since passed. Residing in a mountain fortress, the redcloaks ply their bloody trade across Tagadem patrolling roads for bandits and beasts alike.

>The Kventri: There is no greater sin to the Kventri than charity. Nothing is given without its due pay. Merchant princes that trade gold tipped bullets known as rounds. They've bought their way to power in what was once /k/ and /trv/. Here they create grandiose works of art, and architecture to flaunt their wealth. The South, is a ripe fruit in their eyes waiting to plucked.

>The Kalashasa: The gun-monks. Within their forge-monestaries they craft weapons of a more elegant age. Within the forests of the north they make bloody art with them.

>The Kaidan: (cadia)

>Terahni: The Terahn follow the path laid out by the first Heirophant during the dissolution of the Confederacy. This path, and the worship of the Holy Sol have led to much headbutting with other cults over of the years especially after the taking of much of north-east Tagadem.

>Settlers: minor tribes and cults, clanners by another name.
>>
>>44527037
fair point. Give me a tic on that. Anything so far sticking out as too much?
>>
A brief if not entirely complete history of northern Lenore:
>The waves finally end, their number far less than any had expected leaving milling confusion as to the fate of the other 4channers yet to come.
>The Confederacy and K/trv empires meet through the Rayon road. Openings to trade begin when:
> something from the Bay awakens. A vast pillar of light is visible for a split second in the northern hemisphere followed by a cataclysmic explosion in space. For the next several weeks debris rains down across the planet much of it metal.
>The Confed and /k/ attempt to settle things out after both sides had incidents of forces attacking each other while retrieving materials from the Debris fields.
>In /b/ a warlord arises in the Bubos and proceeds to rally clans to itself, shattering a peace treaty laid out by now several decades in the past. The horde marches south at the time of the pillar.
>A young man named Matthias sees it and the explosion as a sign of things to come and begins the Cult of the Terran.
>Cadia finds itself beaten back and calling for aid as the horde begins to breach the long tested fortress city. The confed desperately marches men to their aid.
>When asked for aid, /k/ is nowhere to be found having instead took the opportunity to expand their borders into /b/ and /tg/.
>/b/ is repulsed at incredible losses to both sides and Cadia left all but in ruins. In the background the Confed is facing greater and greater stress from within. Cities demanding more power and the growing Cult of the Terran resulting in several smaller settlements declaring secession.
>>
File: Yowler1.jpg (112 KB, 1807x1009) Image search: [Google]
Yowler1.jpg
112 KB, 1807x1009
>>44527057
The names are a bit odd, but language drifts over time, unless it's a reference I'm not getting.

Also I don't think cult is the right term for some of these, I think they cease being cults at the point they're controlling large swaths of land and cities, maybe Tribes or some odd form of government.
>>
>>44527282
>Cadia, licks its wounds and vows to never let this happen again. The Meritocracy takes on a fervor and the Kaidan are in essence born.
>In the North /k/ finds itself repulsed from /b/ not by men but by swarms of Formori that seem to have awaken beneath cities all at once. The defeated armies retreat and watch as the automatons move towards what is suspected to be the /b/ city.
>A roving pack of bandits known as the Kalashniks encounters a man who would enlighten them.
>The cult of the Terran begins to exercise its muscle. Matthias, dubbed the first Heliophant recovers an OOPART, a stave with a blue-green stone from a crater. Wielding this 'gift of the Holy Sol' the religion begins in earnest to establish itself. Claiming village after village.
>The Confed, battered and nervous finds that the /y/kings have returned to plague their coasts after a long lull.
>The Cult of the Terran moves on the Northwest, an army of villagers, former rangers, townguard and even the odd /b/arbarian reach the plateau en masse and claim ButterRoot Keep and surrounding villages for themselves with little resistance.
>The Confed mobilizes the rangers, who assault those they had called kinsmen.
>During the battle The Heliophant performs 'a miracle' The staff causes a second pillar of light to appear. This time from the sky ending the battle and earning them a Pyrrhic victory as a second lake is formed and Butterroot keep is renamed to(I got nothing something earth related?).
>The confed desperate to assert itself pushes the rangers for another attack.
>>
>>44527313
that's kinda what I figured Tagadem for example is a horrible bastardization of Traditionalgame.
>>
>>44527528
>>44527508
Yeah, I'm starting to see where the names are coming from now.

>second lake
Chesapeake?
>>
>>44527508
>The rangers, beaten and at this point suffering immense losses...refuse. All across the Confed Red cloaks pack up and leave for the mountains. The mass desertion leaves the cities without an army.
>Raider tribes begin to appear within the Confederacy and banditry pushes many smaller settlements into collapse.
>In Kog, a coup is brewing among the working class. The guilders begin to form from the ranks of those who feel the confederacy has lost its way.
>The heart of the confederacy erupts in civil war and Kog, the Apiary and River City are over run by those that would become the Guilders, the confederate leadership imprisoned or banished from their lands.
>The Heliophant, leaves behind several cryptic messages and prophecies before perishing. His body does not decay and is seated within the Heart of the Religions new capital, stave in hand.
>The Confed in shambles, is declared dead. The guilds rename themselves the Guilders and begin a systematic overhaul of laws and policy even as battles wage in smaller villages.
>the Kaidan look on in horror as their parent nation consumes itself and insitute the meritocracy. Shoring both its borders in the South and North securing the land between /b/ and /tg/ with a vast network of fortresses.
>The rangers appear in fleeting among the wilds, quelling the worst of the raiders that threaten small villages before vanishing.
>In the north the Kalashasa establish their first gun temple. Within they forge some of the most advanced weapons of the world, non are for sale but services might be bought.
>/k/ seeing reletive stability begins to find their economy languishing without expansion. Several wealthy individuals see the advantage in letting it wallow and push through polices of isolation even as they begin to establish massive trading houses. These men go on to create the Cult of the Merchant, the Kventri.
>several decades pass without incident.

>>44527661
I thought butterland had a nearby lake?
>>
File: banner of the tards.png (199 KB, 787x162) Image search: [Google]
banner of the tards.png
199 KB, 787x162
>>44527841
>Rumors spread of sightings of people rumored to be from Earth, they are fleeting and unsupported.
>The Cult of the Terran(now Terahn) take interest.
>The rangers make themselves known, to the Guilders. Embittered at the confederacy and those that took that mantle they declare themselves and the land surrounding their fortress keeps in the mountains independent of Guilder control.
>the Guilders abide by this and go so far as to hire Rangers out as mercenaries within their territories.
>The cult of Terahn motivated by prophecies from the Heliophant begin to make ventures outside their established lands, securing OOPARTs, in particular mote stones.
>The Kventri 'buy' the empire the merchant cult now controls more than ninety percent of the legislation and is backed by Kalashasa mercenaries who search and claim any old world weapons in the hands of the populous to bring back to Gun temples for study/worship.
>The Kaidan, now expanded to the point of claiming what was once Bubonicus open their gates for the first time to the guilders for trade.
>The guilders control a much reduced form of their former homeland. Kognusuan is renamed The Kog and declared Captial of the small holdings they still cling too.
>in the Southern swamps of Tagedem the Fedan build settlements and remove Guilder presences. Declaring they are the rightful heirs to the land and will decide their own fate after having the Confederacy evicted them in the past.
>Federan is founded and openly trades with the Yanking, a society of island traders and privateers in the islands off the coast.
>present day.
>>
File: 1302618444253.png (19 KB, 300x150) Image search: [Google]
1302618444253.png
19 KB, 300x150
>>44528075
As always, critiques, thoughts, and comments are welcome.

And holy crap I just realized how bored at work I gotta be to make all this shit up.
>>
>>44528126
Did anything ever come of all the kids being violet eyed red heads?
>>
>>44528383
I almost forgot that I'll touch on that when I get back in like fifteen minutes.
>>
>>44528411
>phenotyping
Humanity on Lenore has undergone a myriad number of minor changes. Though purely cosmetic, children with each passing generation showed new and oft times odd colors of eyes,hair and even skin tones.

This was especially true among the Kaidan who had remained isolated for several decades. The people that emerged from behind the walls were a swarthy lot, with flaming red hair and eyes of various violet hues. Though those in Tagadem had gained a darker more Mediterranean complexion and with some rarity bore violet eyes and red hair it had never been to such levels as among the Kaidan.

In the north Those among the Kventri cherished the children born with Yellow-gold eyes saying they were touched by the 'market' and would become or coming into substantial wealth. Blond children with yellow eyes especially were favored.

The Terahn view these people as touched by sin from birth and shun them even as mother bear children with startling green eyes with more frequency, the circle of Venus has now begun to inspect the purity of these bloodlines to ensure they are truly 'Terahnic'.

In the Northern wilds, children with some frequency are born with eyes the color of blood and hair to match they are prized by their tribes and said to be blessed with immense strength and vigour..should child die it is of no import there are always more to be had though.
>>
>>44528748
and christ I think made the Terahn the space-kkk by accident...fuck.
>>
>>44528860
There's always going to be hate groups.
>>
>>44528936
good point, The Terahn fit that bill pretty well. but yeah that's the history and as for using Cult that's just Kartharsys terminology we can certainly come up with a term if need be. Though I feel like there should either be one or two more or they need to be more spread out.
>>
So the guilders are the successor to the confederacy? What's the extent of their lands within /tg/?
>>
>>44529109
yes they are, admittedly they sorta kicked the confederacy to pieces and took it over, but their holdings are Kognusuan(renamed The Kog), River City, The Mining Town, and several Coastal holdings though those are tenuous. The confederacy basically fell apart into small holdfasts and larger towns allying with whoever was nearby and wasn't going to murder/rape them. Right now the Guilders are finally at a point where its feasible for them to start expanding again.
>>
>>44529195
mind you, this was after the Confederacy basically pissed away any support they had. by the point the Guilders move to action it'd suffered several major defeats and had two regions basically secede and wasn't doing much about internal issues such as bandits and corruption.
>>
>>44529336
Well, it's not easy maintaining much of anything when your primary military force says they've had enough of your shit and packs up and heads for the hills.

Though that leaves the question of how the Rangers fed themselves, the mountains were pretty bare if I remember right Though some say the region was awash in crazy people on a caffeine high
>>
>>44529195
RIP Boatmurdered.

Also I'm guessing the /y/kings are no longer raiders by the description of the Yanking. Does that mean that their subjugated boards are now independent? Although I doubt /out/ will come into play in the game, what with their hellhole island.
>>
>>44529466
and also builder forts. But really, by this point the rangers were so diminished that there might have been a thousand on a good day. The Terahn's 'miracle' basically wiped out the majority of fighting men leaving your older rangers that couldn't fight and wet behind the ears recruits that likely hadn't finished training. I'd also imagine that the Kaidan took some in as the meritocracy would welcome fighting men and ya know genetic diversity.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9 KB, 277x182) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9 KB, 277x182
>>44529529
haven't gotten far beyond Yanking is /y/ and several of the island boards. I wasn't around much for that actually.
>>44529466
well of course 008 how else do you think they replenished their numbers.
>>
>be a guilder that gets to see mysterious kaidan with their exotic women.
>Spend a week trekking through jungle because there's no goddamn roads anymore.
>Get attacked by bandits because there's no goddamn law anymore
>Finally reach the walls of Kaidan manned by soldiers.
>gates open and you're greeted by red haired Italians with purple eyes.

fuck this planet.
>>
Order is what matters. These words shaped the Guilders after their coup. in The Kog they levelled buildings and reshaped the streets so they were laid out in a more orderly fashion. Putting people to work. Ensuring they were never given a chance to lay about. Zoning laws were created in a matter of hours and the Kog became a well oiled machine as it was rebuilt with the Guilder in mind. The citizens are well fed and paid in the gem, a currency left over from the Confederacy days and still employed throughout the land.

In River City law came less readily. Arbites put criminals into work camps and had them break rock as the city was rebuilt with the Guilder in mind. Though still rotten the port town now has clean streets and proper on paper appearances. Roads were built in straight lines, through hills and valleys with no consideration for topography or flooding. Bridges were mended and small holdfasts brought to speed as Guilder reps arrived backed by arbiters dressed in black armor. Those that resisted were not welcomed into the Guilder way of life and told to leave so proper citizens might inhabit them.

Order by any cost, this is what the Guilder has faith in.
>>
>>44529529
it mentions privateers, it might be that /y/kings are out there but largely they've settled down sorta like how vikings would raid people but also were well known elsewhere to trade.
>>
>>44529933
I'd hate to think Kog lost its gaming culture and nightlife.
>>
>>44530274
doubtful if anything there's likely districts dedicated just to that. The Guilders by nature were the people in those places. Also was thinking should there be a faction based around that? A group of information brokers/smugglers/dealers of jitter that also happen to be /tg/s storyteller caste?
>>
>>44526625
Lenore!

LENOOOORE!
>>
>>44530274
>>44530312
The Mythus:
When the Confed fell, the people needed hope, diversions. The Mythus filled this void. They'd always been there, singing and dancing. Hosting games of chance and games of the fantastic. But now, they were something more. They were troubadours and Bards banded together under a banner. United by a common goal, hope. Hope for a better tomorrow one where men and women might enjoy flights of fancy without worry. So the Mythus makes bargains, gains information and smuggles goods to the people..for a price of course.

Taverns and bars line streets and in windows and frames their symbol is visible to the watchful the mythus is wherever merriment is to be had now, though some say they've always been.
>>
>>44530496
"You the new kid?"
A dour bard, wrapped in merry clothing, on his fingers silk gloves embroidered to look like yowler eyes.
Nervously he nods. between the pair a crumple leaf of paper on it,a name a date, a place. Information for payroll.
In the back they go past fanciful beast like lions and apes crafted of wood and leather and feather. Other actors smile and nod, friendly and welcoming even as outside the first of the crowd begins to arrive.

He pays no mind to the guilder being led to a secluded corner by a young woman with hair the color of Sargam grass and smiles as he's handed a small lacquered case. The bard nods as the young many takes them. He's shaking.

"They say you're lucky."

Another nervous nod. Inside the box something rattles about. The man smiles.

"Good because our GM's a dick."
>>
>>44530667
The curtains part, in the middle of the stage a man of the Mythus, a GM. His vest brocade and upon a rolling cart books passed from one to the next. the crowd cheers, and he relishes the sound.

"Tonight, we have a most excellent treat dear audience!" He bellows back to the spectators."A bold party, a fearsome dungeon! I present, The Tomb of Horrors!"

The roar shakes dust from Rafters as the PCs enter, and behind them the player. Smiling he opens the case revealing dice worn by use to a fine polish each lovingly crafted. The game has begun.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Lenore!

LENOOOORE!
>>
>>44530907
Haha, I could see winning the tomb of horrors ends up being like winning the lottery.
>>
>>44531176
The tomb of horrors an adventure broken out once a year in The Kog. the original has been lost to the jungle now only beautifully illuminated copies remain. By lottery the Mythus picks someone to play. Should they win, they get the entire nights proceedings from the box office...this has happened once.
>>
so...after all of well that. Is there still any interest in taking this thing back up?
>>
>>44531999
It's become an interesting setting but I'm not sure where to take it.
>>
>>44532070
This desu. Were you wanting writefags or something?
>>
File: Yowler2.jpg (185 KB, 987x810) Image search: [Google]
Yowler2.jpg
185 KB, 987x810
>>
>>44534667
definitely and possibly help fleshing out stuff like Yanking and Berahm as I'm not sure what might be up there. Also minor factions and the like would be awesome too.
>>
>>44532070
>>44534667
I'll also admit to that. it needs tinkering to make it into something that is ripe for exploring. I blame myself partly for this as I like a cohesive setting. My going idea is that the wave is coming back not as strongly as last time and perhaps far more randomly. People from the wrong boards appearing where they shouldn't be their memories fuzzy and their equipment scattered.
>>
>>44540336
I guess first on this list would be the regions themselves we know pretty well what /tg/land is like but what's changed in the past two hundred years? Have settlements grown, fallen to the side developed into their own and remain free of Guilder influence etc.
>>
>>44540336
Has been enough time to sort out the gender disparity?
>>
>>44540453
yeah, its been well over two hundred years at this point. Things are about equal across the board for everyone. Not saying it might not have led to weird cultural quirks though.
>>
>>44539081
fuck that's some nice art.
>>
>>44540336
If the waves resumed, all hell will break loose. The Terahn would fully mobilize, the Guilders scrambling to get their hands on lost knowledge and the Rangers would have to decide if they want to fulfill their ancient task of collecting and protecting the newbies never mind what's going on in the other regions. Hell, several smaller groups may try and make a move to gain power off the backs of the new arrivals. It's basically upending the entire setting again.
>>
>>44540569
sounds like it could be a fun way to go about things. Bigger question, are newbies allowed as players?
>>
>>44540594
I'd split the players. Have one group play a side and the others play newbies and go from there as they try and find a safe place.

For example, group A are a team of traders moving their small wagon between The Kog and a Kventri trade outpost for a big score when they stumble on one or two newbies and decide to help them. On their way they find themselves chased by Kalashasa mercs and Terahn zealots who will just kill the traders to cover their tracks and take the Terrans and all their gear. So now they must make their way through long forgotten back roads and open wilderness to get back to Guilder territory and maybe run into a skirmish group of Rangers along the way that may or may not help them. Of course there's also the random wilderness lunatic and the beasts of the wilds that haven't forgotten what early humanity did to their once great numbers.
>>
What has the Honeypot become ? Also cities like Catan and Monstergirlopolis ?
>>
>>44540705
I'm pretty sire the honeypot is in ranger hands now or at least watched over by them. Fedora land was left to rot and hasrecently bbecome resettled by the fedahn their ancestors
>>
>>44540717
>I'm pretty sire the honeypot is in ranger hands now or at least watched over by them.
Well the city used to work a lot with the rangers so there is that. That's a good base of operations.
>>
>>44540758
Likely why they fled there. In the timeline its implied the confer basically ran the rangers almost to ruin. Wonder what ever happened to the bugger's?
>>
>>44540783
Maybe assimilated within the mountain cities. They was already a lot of them immigrating to the Honeypot before. I'm pretty sure the northern mountains are like Switzerland now, with many cultures (ex-Confed, /b/ and Buggers) living together.
>>
And what of the shipyard, Pirate, and Smee? What of their legacy?
>>
>>44541057
Probably part of Kaidan or abandoned at some point.
>>
>>44541057
that or a port city for the Yanking
>>
Lets start small, I guess. I'm a horrible team leader it seems but yeah for now. Lets focus on one region at a time in particular /tg/'s or Tagadem and on its Cults/tribes/religions. Which leaves us. with the Guilders, Rangers, Terahnists and Mythus. The Kaidan we can leave off for now as they're more northwards. A big thing in Kartharsys is that each 'cult' is basically a class and usually has a few different roles that it can function in. These classes are divided up into Ranks that can branch off into various specialties overtime. For now Lets focus on Rangers and Guilders as they're likely the easiest to build up in that regard. What sort of specializations might they have, and what sort of rank structure would they have developed?
>>
>>44544078
typically at character creation most decently built pcs can reach rank three, which means the first two ranks are more along the lines of someone who's training. Its also at this point the Ranks tend to open up to specialties such as dedicated forms of combat, social buffs etc. So for a guilder maybe itd be something like this:
>Laborer
>Apprentice
>Mason/orator/doctor?
>higher rank
>higher rank
>top of the food chain in the cult.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.