[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you often play as archetypes that are completely different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 26
File: 1349996312231.jpg (448 KB, 697x749) Image search: [Google]
1349996312231.jpg
448 KB, 697x749
Do you often play as archetypes that are completely different in game that what you are in reality?

For example, IRL I am fairly well built from being shit like a Mover, Lumberjack, Construction worker, etc... and I find for some reason the majority of characters I make in game tend to be lithe athletic or nimble characters, which is often pretty much the exact opposite of me most of the time.

Anyone else do this?
>>
I play interesting characters while, IRL, I am boring
>>
I like playing girly girls.

I'm not very girly.
>>
>>44526027
Are you even a girl? I think you get bonus points if you're not even a girl.
>>
File: dhfghhf.jpg (34 KB, 427x231) Image search: [Google]
dhfghhf.jpg
34 KB, 427x231
>>44525809
>>
>>44525778
I enjoy playing the pitiful and disadvantaged. I am currently playing a young and plain serf housewife given to the party by her brother after the death of her husband and destruction of her village.

I doubt she'll last long.
>>
I'm a banker IRL.

In games, I play Good characters instead.
>>
I try to vary the archetypes I play in games, although there are a few recurring themes I come back to.

I was raised agnostic and never felt any particular draw to faith of any kind, but I love playing characters who are true believers in something. Having that soul deep confidence and faith in a higher power is interesting to explore, although I try not to overdo it or to make it a caricature of religious people.
>>
File: heeehehehehehhehehhe.gif (2 MB, 228x128) Image search: [Google]
heeehehehehehhehehhe.gif
2 MB, 228x128
>>44526119
>>
I've always been pretty "popular" so to speak, but I tend to make my characters outsiders or give them some other sort of social crippling.
>>
I usually play a super uptight paladin, but in reality I am quite laid back about others choices and beliefs.
>>
File: cossack_by_urbanmelon_d6si8q9.jpg (148 KB, 656x1000) Image search: [Google]
cossack_by_urbanmelon_d6si8q9.jpg
148 KB, 656x1000
I play fervently religious zealots and manly men. Not always at the same time.
I am an atheist irl, and the only thing I do that's manly is I can barbeque like a champ.
I mean, if gods are confirmed real, why the fuck wouldn't you devote your life to them?
>>
IRL I'm generally considered intelligent and charismatic, but physically I'd probably lack agility due to a skeletal injury I suffered during an accident, with above average strength and toughness because I work out.

In games I generally play very agile characters with intelligence and charisma as dump stats.
>>
>>44526120
>>44528498
>>44530534
Wow, lots of non-religious types playing believers, and here I am adding to the list. Atheist with a tendency toward playing paldains, inqisitors, priests and the like. Also not girly at all but my current PC is a seductive yet misandrist priestess of Lilith.
>>
>>44525778
I'm a pretty tall dude, like, 6'5", but I tend to gravitate towards the smaller races like halflings, gnomes, and dwarves.

I just think short people are funny I guess.
>>
I tend to either play foaming at the mouth berserkers or ultra zealous religious types, but in reality I'm a generally really calm agnostic
>>
Agile, not-too-well-read, socially adept in games.
Maladroit, well-read (probably not by /tg/'s high standards but for most people), socially awkward in real life.
>>
>>44530993

Huh, very interesting that this seems to be a trend.
>>
In games and in LARP I always try and make sure none of my characters are too alike. That's where I get enjoyment from my characters, by trying something new each time, and having fun with whatever that turns out to be.
>>
>>44531200
What about the other way around? Religious players playing decidedly non-religious characters?
I myself am religious, and am currently playing a tiefling sorcerer made extremely uncomfortable by holy things, to the point of being rude to nice priests and refusing to stay in the church for free (offered by the priest), instead shelling out money for lodging. Like you >>44526120 I'm doing my best not to be a caricature, so I made his noble upbringing give him a sense of decorum.
Though I will be playing a paladin for the first time in a future campaign
>>
>>44526027
>>44530993
I think part of it is that you get to explore not onlu what you are not, but what you are opposed to in an ideological sense.

Atheism isn't just something you think, it's a direct response to a question and to every other answer to that question: "Q - Does God, a god, or the gods exist? A - No."
Anecdotally, the tomboys I've met have usually not just disliked wearing dresses and skirts and frilly things personally, but that they were actively dumb and no one should wear them (again not in a militancy way, just a "my opinions are right" way).
>>
>>44531200
To many atheists, there is nothing more wonderful, and nothing more bitterly unattainable, than a gentle, virtuous, and just divinity for them to place their trust in.
>>
>>44531340
i'm a religious person, but i can't imagine playing an atheist character in a fantasy setting, gods are just too obviously present

>>44531200
maybe it's just crusader hype who knows, i mean come on, you have to be the most fedora-tier hater of religion to not enjoy smiting some heathens every now and then.
>>
>>44531506

This resonates with me, as a lifelong agnostic. True faith in a loving god sounds amazing, even if I personally can't accept it as part of my worldview.
>>
File: 1437737493810.png (162 KB, 596x641) Image search: [Google]
1437737493810.png
162 KB, 596x641
>>44531506
man, that smited my religious heart in two, that's such a sad thing
>>
>>44531486
Indeed, and I personally wonder if it might also indicate a deeper need to believe in something in more than a purely intellectual sense. Perhaps on some primal level there's a deeply human urge to hope, to need and believe in something more, and we atheists explore it through our characters sometimes.
>>
>>44531626
it's my theory as well, i have always believed that humanity is naturally drawn to religion, no matter what, it's part of our very reality as humans and has shaped this world more than anything else, it's no wonder that even the most staunch atheists somehow find a small connection to it.

also crusaders
i mean
come on
look at him
he's fucking badass
>>
I usually play a borderline alcoholic veteran of lost wars, with some sort of rule for Fearless or the equivalent. Not because he's brave, but wracked by survivors guilt and so very tired of life.

Sometimes they get a happy ending.
>>
File: feel-feel dolls.jpg (188 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
feel-feel dolls.jpg
188 KB, 960x720
>>44531524
I think everyone wants to be a crusader, really. Even the height of fedora considers himself a crusader of sorts.
What it really comes down to is that we want 1) for the world to be black and white, good and evil with convenient ways of determining them (Detect Good/Evil, anyone?), heroes and villains; and 2) to be able to solve the problem of evil with the most primal of methods: lethal violence.
I mean, really, guys: Why doesn't Batman just kill the Joker?
>>44531506
Fuck, I didn't want to read this post but it's too real
>>44531582
Feels good, man. Sometimes. Other times I look at the things I do and feel ashamed/embarassed that God loves a wretch like me. It's like Harry Osborn being Peter Parker's best friend - Harry is cool and rich and a good guy, Peter Parker is an autistic nerd with a secret vindictive streak and a complete asshole when he knows someone can't really hurt him back (him wearing a mask and all) - in short, a victim of bullying who immediately becomes the bully when he gets the chance. Peter Parker's not really worth being friends with, but Harry hangs out with him anyway, because he cares about him.
Amazing grace is one hell of a drug.
>>
>>44531506
Bullshit.
>>
>>44531800
man, this thread just became one of the biggest feels threads i've ever seen

>>44531832
and then comes that guy
>>
>>44525778
I generally play brave, rather impetuous characters.

I'm neither one- certainly not impetuous, anyway.
>>
>>44525778

I play a lot of Halflings and Goblins despite being the big token black guy.

I also play a lot of religious characters despite not being religious or spiritual myself. I'm especially fond of characters with religious taboos and self imposed reatrictions. I do find religion, self discipline, and examples of extreme conviction in all its forms, fascinating though.

I also like playing over rhe hill and celibate characters even though I'm only 30 and married.
>>
>>44525778
For some reason I find it really difficult to play as characters that aren't like me at least a little bit. I don't really know why, and I would love to play as someone who's completely different from myself, but aspects of my own personality always seem to make their way in there mid-game.
>>
>>44526027
This.

I am a big fat guy and I have a beard and I shave my head. I have a loud beefy manvoice and eyebrows that are sometimes mistaken for caterpillars. I enjoy playing girly characters but can only get away with it online.

>>44525809
Also this.
>>
>>44532208
I guess that's how it is for everybody. They say artists put themselves into their work - maybe it's that you cannot impart that which you do not possess.
When Bill Watterson asked if any characters in Calvin and Hobbes were based on himself, he said that "All of my characters are half-me".
>>
File: 1449552440392.gif (341 KB, 375x266) Image search: [Google]
1449552440392.gif
341 KB, 375x266
>>44526119
>>
File: 1320971753893.png (7 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1320971753893.png
7 KB, 400x400
>>44531506
>tfw your only options are cold hard unfeeling science or fallible books written by fallible men who are just pushing political agendas through parables

I have no fedora and I must tip
>>
I have so much trouble playing characters unlike myself. First a dwarf fighter. Then came the halfling fighter. Then the human barbarian. I do similar things in video games, too. I grabbed the character sheet for the barbarian thinking, "Right, let's make something different. Ranged, frail." Just couldn't do it.

I can't even manage a character "worse" than True Neutral and even that guy is borderline good. I can't wrap my head around it for some reason.
>>
>>44532937
>Right, let's make something different. Ranged, frail.
I'm really sweating with my caster, I really don't like being squishy
>>
>>44525778
I'm a chubby, wide-set short guy who would be short and stumpy even if he lost the weight, stronger than average, FAR stronger than other chubby dumplings of my size, a well groomed beard and a fondness for strong drink, engineering and simple-but-elegant geometric aesthetics.

I have never played a dwarf in my life.
>>
>>44525778
I like starting most relevent events in my character's backstories in adulthood, usually just because overly elaborate childhood backstories just end up being marysue shit or edgy nonsense. But most of the weird/bad/good/dramatic shit that has ever happened to me happened as a kid and my adult life has been totally uneventful.
>>
I am very tall and mostly thin, with a bit of skinnyfat tissue around the middle. I am in the process of getting a degree in CS, and will most likely go on to be chained to a desk by my white collar. I wish I could be swole, but I lack the self discipline to see it come to pass. I am an autistic asshole who gets easily wound up over nothing, stumbles over words and has difficulty not treating everything as a competition and controlling jealousy.

I tend to play stocky, brick shithouse/bear wrestler characters. They are usually skilled manual laborers or low level NCOs, very solidly blue collar, who are at peace with their standing in life and enjoy the simple things it has to offer without shame. Typically easy going, they are inclined to take life as it comes and are quite emotionally stable.
>>
No, I usually play as an asshole.
>>
>>44531626
>>44531712
Studies have shown that the human brain is more or less hardwired to want/believe in some form of divinity
>>
>>44535154
The trick is to see yourself as divine.
>>
>>44535154
Pretty much. Our brains are hardwired to find patterns as a survival mechanism - recognizing the pattern of rustling grass that means "tiger" can be the difference between life and death - and the most common pattern in the world is "cause and effect." We see an effect, the world we live in, and try to find a cause. When we can't find a cause that satisfies us, we make one up. Hence, a pattern of our own creation that outlines in great detail the way the universe works.
>>
I play rangers. My dexterity is shit. My aim is shit even in vidya or a nerf gun. I couldn't survive in the woods mire then 2 days. I also suck at hiding.
>>
>>44535154
Studies have shown that vaccines cause autism, video games cause violence and video games decrease violence. Studies have shown that coffee is simultaneously good and bad for you, that the best way to raise a child is to treat him like a pet and that 90% of Americans support total confiscation of all weaponry.

Studies are evidence, and not all studies are conducted properly. May I have a source?
>>
>>44531524
>playing an atheist character in a fantasy setting
Just play a character who refuses the gods for one reason or another.
Just because they are there doesn't mean you have to worship them.

>>44531486
>"Q - Does God, a god, or the gods exist? A - No."
It can also be answered with "A- I have yet to see proof"

>>44531712
>it's my theory as well
You have questions that you can't answer.
You can search harder or you can believe the answers are beyond your reach.

Also, atheist but interested in playing a Paladin. Fuck druids and their cold unfeeling nature.
It can do without me, i can do without it.
>>
>>44535563
>vaccines cause autism
Maybe when they consisted of pumping heavy metals in pregnant women

>video games cause violence
they can trigger latent shit. But it's not the game's fault

>video games decrease violence
Oh boy. Another "Releasing X through a harmless activity" VS "Doing that is still indulging" debate waiting to happen

>coffee is simultaneously good and bad for you
This is true. It also happens with medicine. Secondary effects and all that.

Have no idea if you made up the rest or not. But i respect your search for sources.
>>
>>44535563
>May I have a source?
No, but simply because I don't feel like sorting thorough all the google results of "Human brain belief" but I do remember enough of it to say >>44535285 has it right, it's a byproduct of our pattern recognition being skewed to false positives and the human mind's tendency to anthropomorphize things
>>
>>44525778
>Playing as yourself
Only mary-sue inserters, fanfic writers, and furries who can't contain themselves do this.
>>
>>44535672
Actually it can't. An answer is a matter of certainty, uncertainty is not a valid answer, it's the same as not answering at all. It's a simple question as to a perfectly binary status and those are the only two answers. Your action taken in answering the question may be to be uncertain but the answer itself can not be uncertainty.
>>
>>44535672
>It can also be answered with "A- I have yet to see proof"
That's what I said. It's an answer to both the question and to other answers to the question.
>>
File: this is what you sound like.jpg (48 KB, 846x468) Image search: [Google]
this is what you sound like.jpg
48 KB, 846x468
>>44535154
Whenever someone argues "muh human nature" it makes me want to bash his skull in, claim his woman for my own and steal his finest loincloth.
>>
>>44535910
But what the fuck is the point of making something up?
>>
>>44531486
>Atheism isn't just something you think, it's a direct response to a question and to every other answer to that question: "Q - Does God, a god, or the gods exist? A - No."

But that's not true. Atheism is a lack of belief in god, not a belief that there is no god. Much like a badger or a slab of granite, I do not believe in god.
>>
>>44535910
Now you're making shit up. "I don't know" and "I don't give a fuck" and "get away from me, you godbothering asshole, before I crack open your skull and let the air out" are all valid answers.
>>
>>44526027
>>44532607
roleplaying the opposite gender has always been a tough thing to do in tabletops, half the problem comes from you being physically different so it comes off as wrong, the other half comes from wierding out your friends because the big fat baritone wants to roleplay as some small lithe maiden with feminine moans and cries.
>>
>>44535910
MU
That's you answer if you want one.
Or, if you've read Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question" then you probably can imagine what's my actual answer.

Since the answer to this question is VERY important in our everyday life and i don't have enough data to answer that question, i can't behave as it has been answered affirmatively.
That means i am an atheist because the althernative is not satisfactory, for me.
Emphasis in "for me"

I still want to play a Paladin of a good god and not be a douche.
>>
>>44525778
I'm a big fat guy who's always felt restrained by the fact I can't just beat people up and take what I want. I like playing ogres. I guess I get no points.
>>
File: Fighin' Whities.png (103 KB, 400x269) Image search: [Google]
Fighin' Whities.png
103 KB, 400x269
>>44531983
>halflings and goblins
>noted for their ability and willingness to steal
>I'm black irl
I don't think that counts anon.
>>
>>44525778
My second-longest-running character (2-3 years) was for a forum RP, where I played a young-ish, softspoken woman, who was traveling the world to look for her missing brother.

My longest-running character (5½ years) was a haughty, occasionally brash and headstrong AD&D 1e half-elf, drawn to the adventuring life partially because of the local culture, partially for revenge for my mother, taken before her time.

I am the typical grognard, fully bearded ALREADY GOING GREY AT 31 WTF, with a decent gut and matching rack. I'm neither haughty nor softspoken; I'm fairly chill most of the time, though I can be loud and obnoxious when the situation calls for it.
>>
>>44536389

My characters don't steal. When I do play rogues, theyre always assassins, snipers, merchants, explorers, swashbucklers, or spies.

In fact, I don't think my characters have ever really stolen anything unless you count standard murderhobo stuff.
>>
>>44532607
You're a disgusting creature, and so being something idealized appeals to your cracked psyche
>>
File: the_god_helmet.jpg (34 KB, 259x265) Image search: [Google]
the_god_helmet.jpg
34 KB, 259x265
>>44535285
It's not pattern recognition, it's an actual "god" feeling. It's a physiological thing that can be stimulated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet
>>
I don't think I play any one archetype or personality frequently enough for that to apply. I have been told all my characters are "decisive" though. I guess I just want to do things as opposed to sitting on my ass and procrastinating...

>different in game that what you are in reality
...Shit. I guess it does apply.
>>
File: Why-Am-I-Still-Alive.jpg (12 KB, 151x160) Image search: [Google]
Why-Am-I-Still-Alive.jpg
12 KB, 151x160
Yeah, I like playing characters who are competent and in control.
>>
>>44526108
Are you me?
>>
>>44525778
I am a soldier, I enjoy playing fighters.

Likewise my group is split between people who play what they do and others who play what they cannot / do not do.

Its a mix.
>>
>>44531486
I love playing religious characters, but I'm a self-hating agnostic who despises professed atheists in real life, Anon-sama.
>>
File: Absolutely Heretical.png (593 KB, 1185x1029) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely Heretical.png
593 KB, 1185x1029
>>44531583
Don't pity the damned, Anon. They chose this fate.
>>
>>44536172
>moans and cries

There's your problem, Anon.
>>
>>44531506
Meh
As far as I can remember from when I was younger and still believed, all it did was add fear and anxiety (Am I being a good person? Will I go to Hell for this?)
>>
>>44541271
I imagine that's what led you to atheism in the first place. You have never known loving divinity, only the fantasy of it. If you had really believed that were possible you wouldn't have abandoned it.
>>
>>44525778
My characters tend to be evil (in a mundane/ petty way, not raping and pillaging) and have poor impulse control. I just enjoy giving in to the worst aspects of humanity without real-world consequences, and save my LGness for IRL
>>
File: Onlyasjack.jpg (56 KB, 1379x996) Image search: [Google]
Onlyasjack.jpg
56 KB, 1379x996
>>44531506
This is super true, and super depressing. I always wanted to believe, but the rock had no handholds. How does one cling to something so slick and unobtainable?
>>
File: 1431817774164.png (591 KB, 900x850) Image search: [Google]
1431817774164.png
591 KB, 900x850
>>44532878
What about a system of faith that brings the glory and warmth of divinity into perfection of cold hard unfeeling science?
pic related.
AVE DEUS MACHINA
>>
>>44542301
I know exactly where divinity comes from. It comes from us.

That knowledge is more profound, more comforting and more liberating than any amount of religious dogma could ever be.

People believe in gods and prophets because they don't believe in themselves.
>>
>>44543552
>knowledge
>comforting

Knowledge is horrifying, Anon.
>>
>>44525778
I can't stop reading even for a day. Never played wizards.

My last character was 30 years older than my real me, a war veteran, disciplined and responsible.

He also had a love interest... I, you see, bye.
>>
>>44530534
Chicken heart?

Cow heart beef?

Sauce with cow tongue?

Pig knee?

Fish on a bamboo stick?

És gaúcho?
>>
>>44531506
As an agnostic, it would be nice to say something besides a well-thought "I don't know".
>>
File: 1447695681363.jpg (152 KB, 910x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447695681363.jpg
152 KB, 910x1024
I'm a skinny tall man who isn't all that ugly if I may say so myself (although that might just be my narcissism)

Whenever I'm not self-inserting myself into the game I prefer playing as women
I've always thought them as more appealing and interesting characters
I theorize my waifufaggotry has assimilated itself with my narcissism, or that I deep down personally may just want to be a girl, or perhaps I just like imagining girls most of my time
>>
>>44538223
This is the kind of shit that sounds great until you experience it then your timeline turns into a horror movie
>>
Me
>Tall
>Fairly broad
>Bit of a gut
>Foreigner
>ex-army
>responsible with a few serious commitments

>Want to play fabulous bard/thief types with no sense of responsibilities or even vaguely serious at times.
>Also, stilettos and switchblades as they are the coolest of pokey things
>>
Another atheist who likes to play DEUS VULT here.

I find the idea of zealous devotion extremely fascinating, and I'm too sane to do it in reality so I pretend.
>>
>all these atheist queers pretending to be real heroes

Makes me sick
>>
>>44525778
I play characters which have goals , ideals and motivations
>>
>>44526119
oy vey
>>
>>44545470
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

we're all neighbours, here
>>
>>44548215
>anon dropped:
>1 Amen
>1 Hallelujah
>>
>>44543646
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
Ecclesiastes 1:18
>>
>>44550953
Nothing new under the sun, etc
Besides, suffering is for everybody.
>Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures;yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away. - Psalm 90:10
Psalms and Ecclesiastes are as real as it gets. David had some dark shit happen in his life, some of it self-inflicted, ans Ecclesiastes is Solomon's full-on crisis of faith.
>>
File: copernicus.jpg (242 KB, 1249x797) Image search: [Google]
copernicus.jpg
242 KB, 1249x797
>>44550953
>God knows everything
Fuck.
>>
>>44525778
I tend to play faces and leaders - it's to the the point that when I played a character who had absolutely no business being the defacto leader, the other players floundered to get the game under control. In real life, I'm an antisocial introvert who wants zero responsibility.

I also play handsome jocks but I'm only an okay looking nerd.
>>
>>44525809
fucking LOL lmao
>>
File: whitemage.png (826 KB, 876x1297) Image search: [Google]
whitemage.png
826 KB, 876x1297
>>44525778
>Do you often play as archetypes that are completely different in game that what you are in reality?

Actually, yeah. IRL I'm in the Army and know how to use all kinds of different guns. For some reason I feel myself gravitating towards "healer" types in RPGs.
>>
>reserved and shy in real life
>always attempt to play dynamic characters with backstories and motivations
>never speak up ingame
>most characters just come off as stoic at best, silent at worst, even if they were originally supposed to be overbearing chatterboxes
just kill me, please
>>
>>44551393
>that face
>those hands
lolwat
>>
File: 1361853134533.jpg (43 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1361853134533.jpg
43 KB, 500x461
>>44552516
>>
>>44525778
That sounds similar to myself. I'm a broad man of very average height, yet I tend to play very (like John Cleese+) tall skinny characters. Hair, face and leg type (long and thick) tend to be preserved.
>>
I like to be competent in games where as I am very useless irl
>>
skimpy armor for both genders? I like
>>
>>44552539
>What are gloves
>>
>>44552720
I don't know, but last I checked you're not supposed to wear 5 layers of them all at once to give yourself gorilla mitts
>>
>>44525778
I absolutely love big beefy paladins and crusaders in games but I'm a scrawny atheist who's also boring IRL
>>
File: Ifightformyfriends.png (346 KB, 1008x792) Image search: [Google]
Ifightformyfriends.png
346 KB, 1008x792
I usually end up playing a sarcastic funny guy martial class that always ends up as the party face even when I don't want it to that fights for his friends.
>>
File: imrrrrr.jpg (11 KB, 207x243) Image search: [Google]
imrrrrr.jpg
11 KB, 207x243
I play a psychopathic rogue usually, the kind who is calm and collect, is very cool, but when they do flip out they eviscerate everything..

A rogue fits my personality well...
>>
>>44553488
Intelligent, nihilistic, and with a wicked sense of humor?
>>
>>44535983
I'd be more offended for being told I have an old computer than for being called a caveman.
>>
>>44553020 Basically everyone in Final Fantasy Tactics (/ Advanced (/2)) is wearing thick gloves.
>>
File: 3333333.jpg (92 KB, 530x334) Image search: [Google]
3333333.jpg
92 KB, 530x334
>>44553729
exactly, doesn't forget the cynical sarcasm, like this guy.
>>
>>44525778
I play an 18 STR and DEX Fighter in Baldur's Gate.

I'm always the first guy to charge into battle, pulverizing enemies with my Morningstar +1 and Composite Longbow, protecting the weaker members while they support me from behind. Outside of battle, I'm always happy to do the right thing, and find any way I can to use my 30,000+ gold to help random NPCs who probably work all week for 2 coppers.

In real life, I have zero upper body strength, bald at 24, have no idea what to do in life, live with my dad while buying my own food and stuff with whatever job I have ATM.

People consider me very likeable, and I'm clever, funny and always go out of my way to be kind to others. However, I'm also inherently selfish and pretty lazy.

I picked Fighter-types as a kid, because I liked how they could wear all the armor, use any weapon and become unbelievably strong.

Maybe I pick them so I can feel competent and have other people depend on and look up to me, unlike how I feel in real life where I always need help.
>>
>>44525778
Seeing as I'm not a cute anthro female, yes I do play as different characters than myself
>>
>>44525778
I'm 25, kinda fat, frugal when it comes to clothing, and I try to be responsible when it comes to my choices and work.
I love playing overdressed old dudes(like 70) that let curiosity screw with their futures. Usually ex warriors losing power with age and resorting to magic so they can gish their way into trouble.
>>
>>44531200
Well, those fantasy settings usually have compelling evidence if not final proof of the existence of their gods. Atheists usually pride themselves in believeing the scientific method. If god Is proven then there's no need for our kind of atheism. You could make apatheist characters, but a full on atheist on dnd for instance would be stupid
>>
>>44555164
Except for the baldness (I'm merely receding) you seem to be me, Anon.
>>
>>44555470
>Atheists usually pride themselves in believeing the scientific method.
I think that's a bit more of a modern thing than anything
>>
>>44555792
I did mean modern atheists. The ones of yore probably didn't play dnd.
>>
>>44525778
Eh, sometimes?
It varies
>>
>>44525778
Giant man here, I play as manly men in all shapes and forms, from rugged thieves to dashing paladins. Of course, I'd secretly love to play a female character, but I'm much too ashamed of potentially being called a pervert by my group. That's not to say I don't love the characters I do play, just that I'm limited by my own ego
>>
>>44538223
This article is saying that the God helmet is full of shit though
>>
I am a big (poorly) bearded man.

I fucking love cute things - like turn into a squealing bitch over hello kitty stuff... but I generally keep very quiet about it, unless I'm around my young nieces to have tea parties.

One of my last characters in a D&D game was a female Half-Orc bard(geisha) with a special prestige class that allowed me to draw on nymph like powers and literally blind people with how beautiful my character was. People would murder other people for a chance to earn my favor. Elves wrote poetry over my beauty. The matron of my house was a ~350 year old elf geisha (a bard) who bought my character at the tender age of about four or so and groomed me to be the star of the house, before letting me go out on adventures. My geisha was totally adorkable but refined and cultured - she was also genuinely nice and never really manipulated people in bad faith.

It was fun as all hell, but it got strange looks from some of the other characters.
>>
>>44538223
Nice peer-reviewed double blind study, faggot.
Did you even read the article?
>>
>>44525778
In real life, I'm very cautious and tend to overthink situations.

In character, I make an effort to take risks, act impulsively, and "say yes" since it helps keep the pace going and makes for some daring stunts that make good stories.
>>
I always play girl, well, not always, but the majority of my characters are girls, but i like to think this is to add variety to a group of all guys (and because I'm a pervert as well)
The characters are incredibly varied, but most of them are capable of being sneaky and have proficiency in being dexterous, like I am in real life
>>
>>44543552
>People believe in gods and prophets because they don't believe in themselves
That is exactly why it's not comforting. We are alone and put our faith in imaginings rather than ourselves
>>
>>44559142
>I'm not always the little girl, but when Ivam I'm a sneaky little shit
>>
>>44531582
>>44543417
>>44531506

I think atheists who say they want to believe don't really want to believe, because if you have to believe then it isn't real. They want the real facts to be more comforting. In D&D and most other fantasy games, you don't really have to believe in deities because they clearly and evidently exist. You only have to believe in a deity in the same way you believe in a loved one: by using firsthand experience and inductive reasoning to predict how they're likely to behave in the future.

I'm in that camp. Of course it would be nice if there were some kind of friendly powerful space monster who protects life in the universe, but so far all claims of such a monster's existence have been unsubstantiated.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.