[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be into fatansy, science fiction and games all life >internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mi1mfbjDFD1r3gqtzo5_250.gif (806 KB, 245x175) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mi1mfbjDFD1r3gqtzo5_250.gif
806 KB, 245x175
>be into fatansy, science fiction and games all life
>internet is thing
>have a nice idea that could turn very well into a book, game, videogame whatever.
>write it down
>it's actually not that bad
>it's the one thing i'm proud of
>look for someone to review it
>too bad, i only know 1 person
>time to use internet
>not English, can't use big website, since i can't translate the work
>look for websites in my native language
>all empty, or dead
>look for competitions
>none, only random stuff about theater and poetry
>time to use facebook or something
>only pages about got and lotr
>i'll use fucking reddit
>my native language has only 5 people talking about random shit.
>mfw
What should i do? buy a fucking microphone and open a youtube channel? It's the only website where you can get more than one visualization in my native country, and it has nothing to do with the medium.
or should i just send it to professional writers and editors until someone give a shit about it?

how to enter in the market general i guess.
>>
You got far enough to post about your issues on 4chan in English. Maybe you should bite the bullet and struggle through English-speaking websites to get feedback.
>>
>>44523028
Agreed.
Give it a try.
Post a description here, let's see it.
>>
>>44523028
i wouldn't mind, but i lack the skill to do that.
one can't really translate a artistic project with a knowledge of english gained in school and on the internet,

if only i was born american
>>
>>44523133
well i can do that, but what would be the point.
if you read the description of a product you can be inspired, but it really does not affect the quality of the product itself.

i'll use the source i took inspiration from as name, so i'll skip the part "totally ripped of from x"
anyway the core of the idea was a low fantasy setting about ideologies done rights, not characters
an "not really roman empire" imploded 200 years before and there are not national states around, the "not christian religion" has not spread yet, and concept of vassals and loyalty toward your lord is not the most important trait of a good human being.

The point of the story is exactly this, a "not actually Charlemagne" tries to enact the "totally not rennovatio imperii", bringing closer and closer the allies until they take a oath of loyalty and become a vassals. The "not christ/ Paulus von Tarsus" bring a new religion that spread, using "not Charlemagne" as holy king.

There are a couple of other twists here and there, like "not charlemagne" realizing what a printing press could mean to his project and killing "not gutenberg", but the main points remains the following
>for the first time, since the fall of the not roman empire, people start to take back the lands claimed by the wilderness
>kings trying to reinvent themself in a "not europe" that has no idea what to do
>the spread of a monotheistic religion

all while keeping the typical low fantasy things, like armies hitting each other in the face, and shit.
>>
>>44522996
>or should i just send it to professional writers and editors until someone give a shit about it?

The usual way to get published is to send a manuscript with a coverring letter explaining any relevent qualifications you have to a Literary Agent who will go on to sell your book or story to various outlets that they are aware of and you are not.

Failing that, try sending the manuscripts to publishers who publish things similar to what you have written.
>>
>>44522996
Same here Anon. I'm writing a little homebrew and i was considering the option to show it on the chan, sadly it's in french. What's your native language Anon?
>>
>>44523567
i think i'll end up doing that.
too bad i did not managed to get much feedback.

o well, it's my fault if i only have friends that are not really interested, i guess.
>>
>>44523141
Shut the fuck up, you faget. Man up and fucking learn. What are you? Brazilian? Chinese? l don't care. English is the easiest fucking language. ln a month you can learn tons of stuff. The rest is practice. And if you gonna keep complaining give your skype and l'll fucking teach you myself. Fucking faggot piece of shit.
>>
>>44523820
>The rest is practice
yeah i'm sure it is, but i don't really want to translate 90k words 5 times until "it's good enough".
especially since i did not yet tried the alternatives.
>>
>>44523876
i mean, if translating a book was a normal thing for the author it would happen often, for not english people. While i can't really think one author that does that.

that is the part that makes me think it's not the optimal route
>>
>>44523934
Translating books is a time-consuming affair, since you have to get somebody that
a) is fluent in both languages
b) wants to devote an enormous amount of time to basically re-writing a book, and
c) is a good author in their own right

And then you have the simple fact that there is already a shitload of high profile authors in English that exist. It's not easy.

I'd say that you should try and contact an agent, if it really is good, and they'll help you through the steps that get your baby published.

If it's not ready then, well, you can go to bookstores and look around at local writing / poetry / art events and try and network so that you can get feedback. I know it's rough, but you don't have a lot of options here.
>>
>>44524119
> you can go to bookstores and look around at local writing / poetry / art events and try and network so that you can get feedback
actually not a bad idea. i used to live on a mountain until some time ago, so that wasn't really an option. that's way i went for the internet idea first. Now it's acutally something i could do.

i guess one could say i fell for the intenet meme.
>>
File: English Armada.png (331 KB, 317x1431) Image search: [Google]
English Armada.png
331 KB, 317x1431
>>44523934
>While i can't really think one author that does that.

Stanislav Lem is the one that immediately comes to mind - his english translations are so good precisely because he translated his original polish work into english himself in most cases (largely because of what happened with the solaris translation, where the english translator for some reason used a french translation of the original polish and then cut importants bits of the story and never let go of the english language written publishing rights to this very day).

Just because something isn't common, doesn't mean you'll neccesary be bad at it. But it's perfectly reasonable to leave that as a last resort while you have other options open to you.
>>
>>44522996
>could turn very well into a book, game, videogame whatever
suuuure it could, buddy
>>
>>44524493
or it couldn't
that is way i was looking for someone to tell me if it's shit or not.
>>
>>44523820
>English is the easiest fucking language

It's a massive clusterfuck for non-natives.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.