[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: Boil.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Boil.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
Ban 8ED and 9ED Edition, the Sequel.
>>
File: Choke.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Choke.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>Ban Blood Moon because while it wrecks Tron and Amulet Bloom (which is great), it also randomly snipes tricolor decks like Jund and Abzan, who need the greedy manabase to be competitive.

>Banning Blood Moon makes Amulet Bloom and Tron broken, so ban Summer Bloom and ban Urza Tron.

>The only notable cards left in 8ED and 9ED are Choke, Boil and Boiling Seas. Might as well ban them because literally nobody likes these cards. Sleight of Hand also gets removed, but Wizards loves nerfing Storm even if it sucks.
>>
>>44521770
Why not play something that makes all lands islands in addition to their types
OH WAIT
>>
If we ban 8th and 9th we ban this deck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJBPXZp1og&list=PL04lbfeNAaS_UMjEqI16SLYT2DRfdHJIh
>>
File: Boiling Seas.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Boiling Seas.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>44521770
Predicted effect (ignoring metagame shift):

>Affinity unchanged
>Burn unchanged
>Jund buff
>UR Twin nerf
>Tron dead
>Amulet Bloom dead
>Merfolk buff
>Infect unchanged
>Abzan buff
>Grixis Twin buff
>Scapeshift buff
>Grixis buff
>Living End unchanged
>Naya Company nerf
>Atarka Zoo nerf (Kird Ape)
>Bogles unchanged
>Abzan Company unchanged
>Knightfall unchanged
>Ad Nauseam nerf (Sleight of Hand)
>Elves unchanged
>Grixis Delver buff

Predicted metagame shift:
>BGx is the premier deck for a while (like Pro Tour FRF), but people will realize it still doesn't have the tools to crush EVERYTHING. Still needs to fight for its wins.
>URx Twin lays low for a while (early BGx dominance), but people soon realize it's an excellent deck in a format trying to beat BGx.
>Burn punishes the greedy manabases and remains strong.
>Affinity/Merfolk/Infect/LivingEnd/NayaCompany/AtarkaZoo/Bogles/AbzanCompany/Knightfall/AdNauseam/Elves's role is mostly unchanged.
>Grixis gets more attention and starts competiting with Jund and Abzan for the premier fair deck role
>Scapeshift is pretty well positionned in a BGx meta. Gets more attention.
>Grixis Delver becomes mostly overshadowed by Grixis (like now) and is worse in a BGx meta.

Overall these changes sound pretty good for the format's health (and look much less toxic than Tron, Amulet Bloom and Blood Moon's effect).

I might have missed a few things, but the big lines are there.
>>
>>44521770
Jund and Junk are still doing well even with blood moon, I don't really get your point
>>
>>44522065
It's a kinda reddit-tier discussion. Wizards won't remove random sets from the cardpool.
>>
>>44522065
They are getting more and more abandonned every day. They're good decks but it is much, MUCH easier to play a linear deck in this current iteration of the meta because of BGx's and Grixis's Blood Moon, Tron and Amulet Bloom weaknesses. Sure the decks have a hard time trying to beat everything, but these particular cards/decks make it impossible to encourage a fair deck meta.
>>
>>44522107
I don't think they're getting abandoned at all, decks only run 4 Moon but Jund and Junk easily run 4 Decay and they can still Inquisition or Thoughtseize and grab it, plus those decks run like 5 basics so they can fetch them early on since their cards aren't that color intensive.
>>
>>44522107
Nobody plays BGx because it costs 2k$, BG can easily deal with blood moon with maindeck decay, inquisition and thoughtseize.
>>
File: modern_december2015.png (11 KB, 279x467) Image search: [Google]
modern_december2015.png
11 KB, 279x467
Red line means "below this line are the decks that flicker between Tier 2 and Tier 3 depending on the month"

Jund and Abzan look fine. UR Twin is surprisingly high (as high as Affinity!). Tron is as high as Burn/Jund/Abzan, which is a scary thought. The other decks have fallen a little bit.

Tron looks crazy well-positionned right now.
>>
>>44522206
Should I keep one main or no? I don't reaaaaally want to take up sideboard space when one main basically works as a crappier forest
>>
Just a question. By a longshot say I win a GP Qualifier and I get 2 byes, then lets say I win another GP Qualifier in another week and win 2 byes. Do those byes stack so I have 4 byes or is it just a flat 2 byes only?
>>
>>44521770
I see nothing wrong with any of this.
>>
>>44521763
>>44521770
>>44522032
>>>/standard/ >>>/hearthstone/
>>
What's the most budget, functional modern deck possible right now?

With budget I mean below 50€.
>>
>>44522808
Probably Bogles, mono G aggro, or mono G infect.
>>
>>44522808
maybe like a pongify or a polymorph deck that uses the zendikons to morph into a really big creature. it's UG but you could run like emrakul if you had it

Also that's not budget, budget is 200~
>>
>>44522808
Its impossible to build a good modern deck for below 50. Restore balance is about 70 though if you wanna bump your price up.
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper
here are a bunch of budget decks
>>
>>44521770
>I just hate tron edition
>My deck can't deal with that deck, so it must be banned edition
Go back to reddit
>>
what's the meme deck of /tg/? I think it's either merfolk or infect
>>
>>44522955
Its restore balance
>>
>>44522936
Pretty sure the point of the post was to ban Blood Moon and make sure this banning doesn't keep anything overpowered.
>>
>>44522955
Tier 1 decks can't be meme decks. Do people still shill rug loam?
>>
>>44523070
>people
It's one guy.
>>
>>44523085
I did it a few times as a joke
>>
>>44522955
It's not really a meme, but I think there's a couple people here (myself included) who play Esper control.
>>
>>44523352
Has anyone ever won with esper control. In current modern full on creatures+removals feel so much better and esper even has some of the best ones.
>>
>>44522855
Mono G stompy is pretty close on being a good deck tho. Altho it feels like a bad burn.
>>
>>44522955
Probably Mono-Green.
>>
>>44523420
I win with it at FNM all the time, but there are a lot of bad match ups (Tron, Burn, Ad Nauseum, Bogles) that make it hard to take to a big tourney. Also, even your good match ups require a lot of skill to win. There are no buys with Esper. Still, it's a fun deck and you still see it pull top 16/32 at GPs and Opens occasionally.
>>
>>44523029
>banning blood moon
You are everything wrong with the game.
>>
About to go a friendly and unofficial Modern tournament for the firs time ever. Wish me luck.
>>
>>44523736
Good luck, whatcha playing?
>>
>>44523773

Kinda a Red/Black Mardu style Aggro deck. Even though Atleast half the players are better than me, all but one don't really play Modern, usually playing EDH instead.
>>
>>44523849
>EDH
This word makes me cringe. I spent hundreds on this awful boring format
>>
>>44524138
>Spending money on EDH
>Literally Leftover Unplayable Cards: The Format
>>
>>44524217
depends on who and how you build bro
>>
MEMEDECKS PILOTED BY NECKBEARDS PROOF ON STREAM
>>
>>44524315
Come again please
>>
>>44521763
The format you want to play is called Extended.
>>
Can anyone supply me with info on this question? >>44522507
>>
>>44524696
you get 2
>>
>>44523510
>There are no buys with Esper.
BGx is pretty close to feeling like a bye for me, desu.
>>
>Mono black eldrazi

So we can confirm that modern is just play the most linear thing you can and hope no one can stop you?
>>
>>44524315
>Got past Grixis Control like its nothing
>Even through a Crumble to Dust, where Tron folds

Shit might be real. Time to start buyouts now.
>>
>>44524860
>deck playing 4 maindeck relic of progenitus beat grixis
STOP THE PRESSES!
>>
>>44523352
my brother from another mother

I keep hopping around with my sideboard, I want to play Surgical but then I need Duress but if I do I can't play Clique which is like the best SB card possible
>>
>>44524916
no tasigur?
>>
>mono black eldrazi took over LGS
>pushed out twin/BGx/Tron
>all the poorfags picked up Eldrazi
>meta is now Burn vs. Eldrazi and nothing else

why even live
>>
>>44524860
To be fair, the deck does NOTHING without Relic/Claw. He had it so everything went well.
>>
>>44524940
You basically want no creatures game 1. Make all their removal dead draws until you can activate colonnade/Gideon with counter backup. Also playing Logic Knot together with Tasigur is difficult
>>
>>44524943
build mono white enchantment prison with 4 leyline of sanctity main
>>
>>44524961
fair enough, 2 logic knot is definitely extensive, I found running 1 logic knot with two tasigurs was hard already. I like your build
>>
>>44523352
The only enemy of esper control: Burn and bolt
>>
>>44524940
Tasigur is bad if you're not playing lightning bolt. Tasigur is the kind of card you want to shit out early with cheap 1 mana spells and put on a fast clock. If you get a couple of hits in, you can easily end the game with bolt snap bolt. You don't have that reach in Esper, so Tasigur is a lot worse than you think he is.

Not that anon, but if Tasigur is your only threat he's going to be a lightning rod for removal

Tasigur functions much better when he's one of many threats. Grixis runs Snappy/Tar Pit/Angler/Mom and pop/etc. so you can't just focus all your removal on one dude. In Esper, he'd be literally the only threat, so he's nowhere near as useful.

Another function of tasigur is that his ability works best with cheap spells that have a huge impact on the board (Bolt, for example). Esper's average mana cost (This is why Esper Control lists run 4 spell snares, its one of the few cheap interactive spells available to the archtype) is higher than Grixis so this won't be true for you. Also, you're just going to get back Supreme Verdict more often than not which is so awful.

Esper lists are also not that graveyard reliant. Its not uncommon for Esper to have rest in peace in the sb, including Tasigur makes you a lot weaker to graveyard hate. Snap/Logic Knot are the only cards in Esper that rely on the graveyard, and if someone wants to bring in marginal graveyard hate against you, let them.

tl;dr Tasigur belongs in Grixis, not Esper
>>
>>44523352
>>44524916
Have either of you tried Ojutai?
>>
>>44524716

Thankyou
>>
>>44525010
Burn's difficulty is overstated. Its not an easy matchup, but its winnable and Tron is far worse for the deck than Burn will ever be.

Optimal lists of Esper run 4 spell snare, which hits all of the "big" cards from Burn (Eidolon/Boros Charm/Command/Skullcrack), and along with Knot, you can counter the scary stuff. Path the guides/spears as they pop up and don't make dumb mistakes.

Also, a lot of burn players are really bad. Like, really bad. There are games against burn I'd have lost if my opponent was intelligent but they played their role wrong and got punished.
>>
>>44524943
>>pushed out twin/BGx/Tron
Eldrazi isn't pushing shit. Your players are just bad.
>>
>>44523085
every once in a while I'll jokingly suggest rug loam
>>
>>44525054
>Tasigur belongs in Grixis, not Esper
he actually belongs to Sultai though
>>
>>44524989
Thanks! I really like Logic Knot, it's the only counter in modern that's useful for the entire game. It's also very good at making people super salty from my experience. What is your sideboard btw? I'm still not satisfied with mine

>>44525108
Yeah, and I didn't like him much in Esper. I think he's much better in UW control

>>44525121
This, although I run 3 Snares atm. Burn is very winnable but Tron is just a complete disaster
>>
>>44525108
Lilly kind of shits on Ojutai.

I have Baneslayer Angel in my sb as my fatty of choice.

Ojutai is better in the UW build with Angel, Finks, etc. where you are more proactive and can use his ability to dig for more threats.

In Esper, you care about stabilization. Ojutai doesn't stabilize the board against Zoo and make racing impossible. Against midrange, you don't even need Ojutai, because the White Sun Zenith/Collonade plan is more than good enough to get the job done. He's overkill vs. BGx.

Baneslayer is a huge lifelinking threat that can't be raced against aggro and aggro decks usually board out any removal they had in g1 that's not burn. If you resolve a baneslayer against zoo and they don't have path immediately or any burn, you win on the spot.
>>
>>44525171
I mean that Sultai/Esper doesn't have the kind of reach to make use of him like Grixis does. Without reach, Tasigur gets a lot worse.
>>
"Your mum's so foul, I could probably tap her for black mana."

>actual words spoken during modern night at my local today
>>
>>44525227
lmao
context?
>>
>>44521763
When will this meme die. Those sets are fine, for fuck sake just stop trying to make Jund and the others the best decks in the format because they are fine. Just because you are beat by decks that are cheaper does not mean they are OP
>>
>>44525171
in sultai he's the shit
>>44525175
Honestly my sideboard was mostly anti-burn. My meta is fucked because it's almost all burn. At some points I even went and just started maindecking anti-burn stuff.
But:
>2 rest for the weary
>2 dragon claw
>2 dispel
>2 stony silence
>1 wrath of god (I think you might want to consider this card, as it gets around regenerate (if thrun is in your meta))
>1 batterskull
>3 timely reinforcements
>1 dragonlord ojutai
>1 free spot for different tech or more anti burn depending on the night
>>
>>44523352
Playing against esper control is my favorite matchup as a u Tron player. Control mirrors are the best, and you got to love going to time
>>
Would Past In Flames be good in Jeskai Ascendancy combo?

Also, will eldrazi replace tron?
>>
>>44525283
>When will this meme die
after the ban update happens

every ban update has some baseless ban/unban prediction that gets parrotted by everyone. Last time it was a Snapcaster ban
>>
>>44525308
>>1 wrath of god (I think you might want to consider this card, as it gets around regenerate (if thrun is in your meta))

Once I played against some random shaman tribal deck and it shit out a t3 Thrun.

I still won that game. Had no wrath of god.

http://deckstats.net/deck-8715510-fcd9ee20036216c29cc94f16c59dde67.html
>>
>>44525334
I don't remember that. Last time it was all scrubs whining about amulet.
>>
>>44525321
>Would Past In Flames be good in Jeskai Ascendancy combo?
Usually when you have the mana for it, you are at a point where you can't lose. It doesn't enable you to combo out unlike your other spells, however.

>Also, will eldrazi replace tron?
Nope. You work harder than Tron to play worse cards than Tron.
>>
>>44525357
lol, how'd you cuck them?
>>
>>44525259

Two lads were having casual games near the entrance to the bathroom, guy #1 was playing mono-red goblin aggro, guy #2 was playing some variation of blue and white, I think it might have been Esper. Anyway, guy #2 Cyclonic Rift'd the guy's goblins, and he made a quip about his mum so he responded with that.

It looked like a pretty good game but I was busy playing Commander so I didn't really see much of it.
>>
>>44525308
that is a LOT of burn hate lol. You could maybe play 1-2 Timely Reinforcements main, I did that for a while and it's decent against any deck that beats down as a wincon. I'm personally more afraid of Merfolk than Thrun so if I add WoG it'd be as the fifth Wrath

>>44525357
All 4 Logic Knots seems excessive desu. At the very least I'd suggest playing all 8 fetches
>>
>>44525416
Cryptic Command/Snap loops while I keep hitting land drops then I cast White Sun for a decent amount and have a stream of chump blockers while Collonade kills him.
>>
>>44525434
last time I played at fnm I had 4 rounds of burn. More than half the people here play it so my sideboard at this point should be in my deck
>>44525459
That's actually quite refreshing to hear. I love snap-cryptic loops. It gives so much power to the late game
>>
File: 1449608530516.jpg (50 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1449608530516.jpg
50 KB, 550x550
>>44525459
>Cryptic Command/Snap loops
is there a better feeling in magic
>>
File: help.png (840 KB, 1319x379) Image search: [Google]
help.png
840 KB, 1319x379
These cards has to be in a tier 1 deck somewhere.
Help a noob out and tell me what it's called.
>>
>>44525434
I run 4 logic knots because I can't run more than 4 spell snares. I need more interaction that starts on turn 2 and knot is the best you have in that slot.

I'm almost never tapping out on my turn and I don't use my graveyard that much. You'd be surprised how often you can snipe people with Knot, even while running 4.
>>
who's ready for the SFM unban?
>>
>>44525532
Champion of Lambholt seems crazy too with it.
>>
>>44525538
I like Remand for that. It's of course not a true counter, but the cantrip really helps and lategame it's still useful against flashback/delve spells, winning counter wars, and in case of emergency just cycling it

This >>44524916 is my list (although Im fiddling with my sideboard at this very moment)
>>
>>44525511
remanding a flashbacked cryptic.
>>
>>44523352

White Sun Zenith or Empty the Pits? Changing WWW to BBBB lets you delve away everything not claimed by logic knot or snapcaster and get a lot more tokens for the trouble

Only change to the mana base would be switching a single plains for the UB manland (which would be another win con by itself) or for a basic swamp
>>
>>44525595
Remands pretty bad against anything aggressive though. Knot has always been the best card that fills the "This card is never bad in any matchup" role, unlike cards like Remand or Leak where they shine in some matchups but fail in others.

The only deck in the format where I've had issue delving for Knot is Tron, for obvious reasons.

In running 4 knots, I find my win% vs. aggro has increased more than it was with 2 knot and 2 remands.
>>
>>44525682
Part of the appeal of Zenith is that it shuffles into your library so you don't deck yourself when the game goes long. Empty the Pits can't do that.
>>
>>44521770
This change is objectively good.

>but i want to play Blood Moon *cries*

It makes the game worse every time it's cast against a non-Tron non-Amulet deck. I'm not playing these faggot decks, let me play fair Magic.
>>
>>44525682
White Sun's Zenith goes back to the deck, which isn't irrelevant in super grindy attrition matchups (I've had this be relevant against Abzan, for example).

Empty the pits makes you weaker to grave hate, and you can't run Rest in Peace in your sb anymore.

Tar Pit is kind of redundant in Esper. Tar Pit is basically a worse collonade with the upside being easier to activate. Tar Pit achieves the same function as collonade but it dies to bolt.

Double Plains in sb games lets you cast Verdict/Baneslayer/Elpseth against blood moon.dec if you fetch them early enough. Verdict is the one that's clearly the most important, but being able to cast those is kind of important.

I run Godless Shrine over basic swamp because I run thoughtseize in the sb. Being able to go Flooded Strand -> Shrine -> Thoughtseize against Storm/Amulet/Ad Naus/whatever combo deck in post board games is really important, since combo is what Esper Control is the deck's worst matchups.

Also good fucking luck trying to hit quadruple black in Esper. My deck has 1 godless shrine, 2 watery graves and 2 drowned catacombs. The deck is built so that it only wants 1-2 black lands in play, mostly so it can cast Esper Charm.
>>44525794
Playing against UB mill is funny when you naturally draw your Zenith. They literally can't kill you. At worst, cast it for 0 to cycle in your deck.
>>
>>44525707
alright anon, I'll try out a third Logic Knot for a bit

btw, fun trick you can do with Remand and Esper Charm:
>they have two cards in hand
>cast a sorcery speed card
>in response, you cast Esper Charm Mindrotting them
>maintain priority, cast Remand on top of it
>spell gets remanded and then Esper Charm resolves before they get time to recast it
>>
>>44525885
That's a cool trick. I just stick to mind rotting someone after they cast K Command getting back their Tasigur.
>>
File: NO.jpg (155 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
155 KB, 500x375
>>44525321
>will eldrazi replace tron?
>>
>>44526128
>"BUT MUH KORN!"

Turn 3 Oblivion Sower seems to be more reliable.

Plus New Eldrazi can go into the deck as well, and Emmy may actually be playable now.
>>
>>44526272
I'd much rather face Oblivion Sower than Karn Liberated. Every time.
>>
With eldrazi doing dumb things, is it time for people to finally start playing rest in peace again?
>>
>>44526272
>>
>>44526332
rest in peace does nothing to eldrazi

kill yourself
>>
>>44526372
Maybe he meant Eldrazi players should play it
Would make sense
>>
relative noob here, getting back into it after many years of hiatus
where do you sell cards? is the whole buylist thing on some sites legit? i pulled a couple pricey cards (expeditions arid mesa foil x2) that i would rather get cash to buy more cards with than use.
>>
>>44526458
Be a bro and sell them to your lgs.
>>
File: 1277791494078.png (25 KB, 280x281) Image search: [Google]
1277791494078.png
25 KB, 280x281
>>44526368
Wurmcoil don't got shit on a follow-up Ulamog

>Mfw Sower takes a full set of tron lands from you.
>>
>>44526416
how do you beat eldrazi

just play burn/infect?
>>
>>44526533
How do you even cast sower after Karn? It's a shame you can't process your own cards.
>>
>>44526754
I went first you dolt.
>Implying I didn't thoughtseize your Karn already
>>
>>44526766
Not even the same guy bro. Don't be so defensive. You sound like you have massive penis envy.
>>
Arcbound Ravager buyout!
Fucking $85 now
>>
File: Untitled.png (284 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
284 KB, 1440x900
>>44526822
wut
>>
HAIR-STRUNG KOTO BUYOUT GET IN THERE NOW
>>
>>44526822
Might happen soon, but not happening right now.
>>
>>44526822
Everywhere I look its still bellow 40
>>
>>44526856
>gay sex with hats on
(You)
>>
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11216&d=263710&f=MO

What is this? How does it even win?
>>
are they gonna ban goryo?
>>
Why aren't the eldrazi memedecks just running Urzatron and accelerating? Like I don't get it, they need a single black mana to sometimes thoughtseize/iok and to get that T6 three drop out.

Is the entire deck literally pining to put a Temple and an Eye out by T3? Thats got to be the least efficient way to do that, and the deck has practically zero options past getting it off. The Eldrazi pilots seem super jizzed about dropping a terrible fatty less efficiently than Tron does.
>>
>>44527016

Me what? How does it fucking win, why all the cheap milling artifacts?
>>
>>44527032
(You)
>>
>>44527032

(You)
>>
>>44526990
I hope so. Turn 3 Emrakul is gross
>>
>>44527032
>cheap milling artifacts
Yeah. It doesn't exactly win in a timely manner or in a fashion one might expect.
>>
>>44527032
(You)
>>
File: 1411510925213.gif (3 MB, 440x359) Image search: [Google]
1411510925213.gif
3 MB, 440x359
>>44527154
>>44527077
>>44527040

ME WHAT
>>
>>44526990
discard their hand they said, counter their spells they said
>>
>>44527175
(You)
>>
>>44526992
I have no clue why the fuck anyone is hyping Eldrazi Midrange up.
It just sounds like a shitty version of Tron.
>>
>>44527202
It's new and cheap. That's the reason it got popular on MTGO and people misinterpreted.
>>
>>44527202
Maybe not everyone wants to play Tron
>>
>>44526992
>>44527202
Wouldn't BG tron be better?
>>
>Banning yet more useful shit in modern
>especially considering modern is already cancer
you are everything wrong with this game you dipshit redditor.
>>
>>44527242
I don't like Tron either, but I'd rather play something that puts up results.
>>
>>44527287
But I thought everyone keeps repeating "everything is playable in modern!!!" over and over again
>>
>>44527287
The deck was just discovered, how about you give it the benefit of the doubt
>>
>>44527298
It's playable, but it's shit.
>>
>>44527287
The vast majority of Eldrazi memedeck users are probably standard babies who think they're reinvented and revolutionized modern, because it neva bin dun befur.
>>
>>44527202

Jokes aside, the deck looks like it actually has a surprising amount of play to it. Its kind of amusing that people are loosing their shit over it, like, "How can this be a deck!? Isn't it just bad Tron!?" Its like they are trying to comprehend the lovcraftian monstrosities and failing. Totally in flavor.
>>
File: 1422927560106.jpg (69 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
1422927560106.jpg
69 KB, 480x680
>eye of ugins are 20$+

Why did I wait. And why no UB builds? The deck runs artifacts so you could be rocking thirst for knowledge to dig in for your lands. this is frustrating
>>
>>44526501
they will only give me 50 shekels a piece, online i can get 90. 100 or 180? easy call.
>>
>>44527246
I've considered splashing black but red offers a lot in terms of cheap interaction to stay alive against quick beats and more in terms of sideboard options. Enough that I put the idea of replacing red out of my mind.

>>44527440
Not enough artifacts for thirst I think. Don't you think green would be better though? Ancient stirrings would be a perfect fit and maybe one or two Sylvan Scrying wouldn't hurt either.
>>
File: 5154.jpg (104 KB, 1275x715) Image search: [Google]
5154.jpg
104 KB, 1275x715
>This guy's name
>>
>>44527202
At least blood moon is keeping us safe from these shitty meme decks.
>>
>>44527518
Eric is a perfectly respectable name anon. Don't be rude.
>>
>>44527484
What about GU as opposed to GR Tron? Casting Blight Herders while leaving mana open for mana leaks and delays
>>
>>44527581
Blue/Green Tron is basically Blue Tron splashing green for Loam/Ancient Stirrings, not a Green Tron deck splashing blue. The blue cards incentivize you to be playing more reactively.
>>
Reminder that black eldrazi is the best deck in the format.
>>
>>44527581
A friend of mine is running GU Tron right now but I wouldn't recommend it, the deck is super soft to any kind of aggro. The only reason is gets away with it half the time is because my meta is light on aggro but I believe he has yet to beat the resident affinity dude.
>>
>>44527581
Sounds cool in theory but Tron is too tightly built. If we introduce U, Blight herders, and counter magic, it genuinely becomes a different deck and would need to be rebuilt from the ground up.
>>
>>44525408
naw there was a ton of complaining about snappy that went nowhere. There are a lot of people who just want cards that hurt their decks banned.
>>
>>44527581
GR only plays Red for Pyorclasm. Having a cheap board wipe that won't touch your creatures is way better than counter spells.
>>
File: 54 (1).jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
54 (1).jpg
64 KB, 312x445
>>44527581
If you run U why not use Syncopate in addition to Delay.
Seems like it would be good with Scions
>>
>>44527704
I wrote it wrong but meant UG eldrazi to GR tron as delay has synergy with eldrazi
>>
>>44527704
>syncopate

spell burst is strictly better
>>
>>44527753
Spell Burst doesn't exile
>>
>>44527704
Holy semen demon
>>
>>44527753
syncopate has a qt though
>>
>>44527777
exiling doesn't matter when you can lock someone out of the game

shitty synergies are worse than raw power
>>
>>44527819
But leaving 4+ mana open every turn is shit
>>
File: Syncopate.jpg (161 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Syncopate.jpg
161 KB, 480x680
>>44527791
>>44527802
A little higher def for you fine gentlemen.
>>
>>44527855
leaving up mana for syncopate isn't shit?

if you want to play eldrazi, play the black version, don't play a shitty version of it
>>
>>44527884
I specifically mentioned the possibility of having Scions in play to help cast Syncopate
>>
>>44527927
yeah but syncopate is an objectively bad card so don't play it
>>
>>44527958
But it has synergy with the deck
>>
>>44527884
>if you want to play eldrazi, play the black version, don't play a shitty version of it

the deck just became a thing, its far too early to name any other version as shitty
>>
where was /tg/ when jund was kill
>>
>>44528003
>I was at home eat smegma butter
>>
>>44527990
Don't play bad cards for the sake of synergy. That's what bad players do.
>>
>>44528026
Then the deck shouldn't run Delay???
>>
>>44528026
>affinity players are bad
>>
>>44528043
I mean I get free wins vs. affinity all the time so yeah
>>
>>44527096
>hope so. Turn 3 Emrakul is gross
>goryo

you mean through the bitch, right ?
>>
>>44528096
You can use Goryo's Vengeance on Emrakul.
>>
>>44528026
Yea man! Only good stuff decks allowed
>>
Why am I stupidly excited over the Eldrazi Black deck?
>>
>>44528208
Because you hate interaction.
>>
>>44528208
Because it's something new
>>
>>44528249
It... looks pretty interactive?
>>
>>44526878
I cant possibly ever see that card being bought for anything
>>
>>44528268
what is a fair deck going to do to beat Sower into Ulamog?
>>
>>44528282
Thanks
>>
>>44528304
Well, you can interact with the opponent though :^)
>>
File: 545453.jpg (75 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
545453.jpg
75 KB, 620x400
Soon...
>>
>>44528425
... The price will drop back to like 30 when it's not unbanned
>>
>>44528459
how do you feel now that jund is unplayable in modern
>>
>>44528476
Jund hasn't been good in modern for a solid year now anyway.
>>44528459
It will also jump to $80 if it's unbanned
>>
>>44528476
It's not? I assume you're talking about mono black eldrazi's rise. It is
A. Still super new and finding its place in the modern meta and
B. Will never see play in my meta

>>44528502
You right. Which sucks for those who want it. Promo will help it be a bit cheaper though, like Griselbrand
>>
>>44528502
Jund took it's place back from Junk when DTK came out. It's been tier 1 for the past several months.
Tron is running wild now, so Jund is falling off again.
>>
>>44525208
I know what you meant, I was joking about him being the Sultai Khan in FRF
>>
>>44528547
Jund is tier one but it hasn't been winning anything.
>>
>>44527096
>I want to only play creatures and turn them sideways
okay
>>
>>44526980
>What is this? How does it even win?
Did you just start playing Modern?
>>
>>44526980
Your opponent comes in and gives you a pillow.

Then he askes what time you want him to wake you up while he rapes your deck.
>>
>>44526980
You get out Lantern of insight as fast as possible, when the opponent is about to draw a land, you mill them. You have hand removal and some light burn/removal to take care of any early aggro.

Keep milling lands until they cry.
>>
>>44528125
Yes, I'm dumb : in response to trigger.
>>
>>44528568
I know. Every new player in my meta is playing Tron, and it's impossible to top anymore since I get paired against that shit at least twice a night.
I've broken down and started building Grixis Twin
>>
>>44528737
>telling everybody that tron was really fucking good and had great potential in 2010
>nobody listened
>now its 2016 and everyone and their grandmothers are running tron
>>
>>44528723
>>44526980
As someone who regularely plays lantern control, it's often the opposite.

They draw nothing BUT lands, and cards they can't use. Like beaters and creature removal.

Of course, if they start the game manascrewed, I'll make sure they stay that way.
>>
I hope tons of people show up with tron to charlotte; I'm bringing infect
>>
>>44528806
>Like beaters and creature removal.

I'm guessing the circumstances changes depending on the deck?

What would you mill against delver?
>>
>>44528779
What did Tron look like in 2010? I know this deck has been around for a long time but I started playing it after we got all the baller threats it has now.
>>
>>44528925
K-command. Any sideboard cards I imagine. Beats if your bridge isn't online.
>>
>>44528998
it was just post
>>
>>44528925
Burn spells
Snapcaster Mage
Gitaxian Probe (Not that important) / Serum Visions
Kolaghans Command

If I have complete control (multiple mill cards), I'll probably mill your counterspells as well, but it's not important.
If you run Cryptic Command I also make sure you don't draw that.
Hurkyl's Recall postboard
>>
>>44528998
GR tron without Karn, wormcoil engine or spellskite.

Mind you Scars of Mirrodin was just released and tron at the time had access to Steel Hellkite and sundering titan

Mono U tron was more on par.
>>
>grishoalbrand wins round 6 2-0
>>
>>44529177
Deck is trash
>>
>tfw you're rooting for as many non-interactive decks as possible to take modern over so wizards will print better interactive spells
>>
>>44528998
It didn't run any of the urza lands, instead abused cloudposts/glimmerposts, ramped up and green sun zenith/through the breach into prime time, terasterdon and Emrakrul recursions.
>>
File: tamiyo.jpg (40 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
tamiyo.jpg
40 KB, 200x285
What's a good use for her? Any solid decks or combos she can go in?
>>
>>44529337
EDH.

No, really. Sorry.
>>
is grishoalbrand the best deck to bully people with?
>>
5 mana walkers basically have to give you crazy value or win the game immediately
>>
>>44529354
damn, she's really cool.
>>
File: Defiance.jpg (79 KB, 620x840) Image search: [Google]
Defiance.jpg
79 KB, 620x840
Is Think Twice a legitimate card to use in a blue deck or is it pure modern general meme
>>
>>44529380
keranos is an example of this
>>
>>44529423
Draw 2 cards for 5 mana

It's ass
>>
>>44529039
>>44529025
>>44528925
It's really simple as to what I can let you draw and what I can't, really.

I don't want you to interact with me, that is my goal.

Creatures that don't have abilities that screw me over (Qasali Pridemage, Fulminator Mage, Snapcaster, etc. are good examples of creatures I DON'T want you to draw.)

Second is card draw/tutors. I really REALLY do not want you to draw that. Draw 1 effects are no big deal, as I can control what you draw, but the moment you get to dig two deep, I can't stop you from getting that second card. A Sphinx's Revelation can often just lose me the game. You might draw the artifact removal you needed.

Third: Removal that hits my cards. Artifact removal and land destruction essentially. I give zero fucks about creature removal. I give zero fucks about hand disruption beyond turn 3 as my hand will be empty. Artifact removal is bad, land destruction is bad, GY disruption is annoying but not terrible (please don't sideboard in graveyard disruption for game 2 unless you are siding out dead cards for it. I don't care if you leyline of the void me, it's just a minor inconvenience.)

Fourth: Planeswalkers. Not a huge threat as I do have many ways of dealing with them. Abrupt Decay, Ghirapur, Pyrite Spellbomb and most importantly: Pithing Needle.

It may seem like there are many cards I can't let people draw, but the deck is surprisingly resilient. Sure, you'll probably draw one or two of the above throughout the game. You probably have some in your hand from the start. Truth is, most of your removal is going to hit my Spellskite or be regenerated by a Welding Jar, which is going to come back into play next turn using Academy Ruins.
As I mentioned earlier, Pithing Needle is amazing in this deck. Each pithing needle I draw is one more card I no longer need to mill, as your planeswalker or pridemage now doesn't do shit.

Once kept a 3x pithing needle hand against RG tron and had him concede turn 2. Stone, Ugin, Karn, GG.
>>
>>44529438
Next time you play a blue deck keep track of how many turns go by when you didn't used 2 mana at the end of your opponents turn.
>>
>>44525511
Cruel ultimatum -> Snapcaster, flashback Cruel Ultimatum.

Narset -2 on Savor the Moment is a nice feeling too. ESPECIALLY if you have another walker in play.
>>
>>44529469
Only dweebs play blue
>>
>>44529450
Why doesn't lantern control see more play?
>>
>>44529438
You use Think Twice so you can grind through thoughtseize and Inquisition and Lilliana. There's really no other card in blue that does that in modern.
>>
>>44525866
>let me play fair magic
> modern
how new
>>
>>44529337
I have an Esper planeswalkers deck that runs a singleton of Liliana Vess but also runs 3-4 Liliana of the Veil, she MIGHT be a better 5 drop (though Jace, Memory Adept might be too)
>>
>>44529522
so only Dweebs win?
>>
>>44529450
Tip of the hat for the insight anon. I gotta say, the deck makes me a little nervous. Prison strategies are not what I would expect to find in modern. I hope it gets buffed. I hope they unban preordain to potentially make things a little more tricky for you.
>>
>>44529611
No but they have superiority complexes
>>
>>44529337
I want to pull off some sort of Whispering Madness / labratory maniac mill combo.
>>
>>44529536
It straight out loses to Jund.

Remember the categories I described above?

Here's the cards I can't let jund draw:
Dark Confidant
Scavenging Ooze
Abrupt Decay
Kolaghan's Command
Liliana of the veil
Maelstrom Pulse
Lightning Bolt
Ghost Quarter

Cards that are devastating in their opening hand:
Thoughtseize
Inquisition of Kozilek

They even sideboard multiple Ancient Grudges, which is a really harsh card for Lantern Control as it will always be able to hit something.

Their entire fucking deck is designed to strip you naked, kick you while you're down and torture you to death.

Also, while Tron can be decided quickly if I get some pithing needles, Tron in its entirity consists of draw/tutoring/handfixing. There's not really much you want them to draw.

Burn is also pretty hard as they can sometimes get you low enough before you set up a lockdown that one or two topdecked burn spells can finish you off. Game two is FAR better here though due to Pyroclasm and the wonderful Sun Droplet
>>
Reminder that if you aren't playing twin in a competitive modern environment, you're a retard.
>>
>>44529757
Just wait until Splinter Twin gets banned :^)
>>
>>44529757
I wish more people were playing Twin in my meta.
Jund dominates Twin.
>>
>>44529757
I play infect bc the twin players in my meta try to bolt my dudes mid combat and the affinity players sac their board to ravager when I have green up / forget to activate spellskite and this one dude insists mono blue tron is a good deck
>>
>>44529862
>playing Jund in a Tron/Eldrazi metagame
>>
>>44529921
you're playing against bad twin players, you bolt the infecters on the end step unless you're facing lethal.
>>
>>44528587
Never said that,fuckwit.

You'd rather play creatures them win without the turning sideways step?
>>
>>44529367
Depends on your definition of bully I suppose. If you want a slow roll bully play lantern control
>>
>>44530041
oh definitely. they're horrible. I was just explaining to that dude who thinks modern should be ur twin mirror match: the format why I'm not on that deck.
>>
>>44529423
I would only play it in the Draw-Go Esper shell, and there it is absolutely essential. Don't leave home without 4.
>>
>>44530174
Well I mean, if you're playing a fair deck and its not twin, why are you even playing modern?
>>
>>44530227
>twin
>fair
>>
>>44530253
if twin isn't fair then there are no good fair decks in modern
>>
>>44530310
It's not a fair deck.
>>
>>44530332
then there are no good fair decks
>>
>>44530348
Jund is one.
>>
>>44530348
>>44530310
Jund is a fair deck and is tier 1.

Of course, I assume by "good" you meant "I think twin is the only good deck in modern".
>>
>>44530365
>Jund being good in a Tron metagame

that's a funny joke anon
>>
>>44530391
Burn is good
Infect is good
Amulet is good
Twin is good

Jund is not. It can't beat a t3 Karn, which if you can't deal with, you should put the deck down.
>>
>>44530402
Son, that's not what he said. Pay attention now.
>>
You chucklefucks kept acting like the stats on top8 are indicative of what people are playing at the shop level. No one plays tron in my area.
Except for me.
>>
>>44530430
Does that mean all midrange isn't good? Because nearly all midrange loses to Tron. Not how it works desu imo.
also noone plays tron here so I'm good to go
>>
>>44530491
I can't imagine a modern metagame where Tron isn't a huge chunk of the room
>>
>>44530491
some fat neckbeard plays tron at my shop
>>
>>44530491
Well my LGS is nothing but grinders that follows top8 like the fucking gospel.

It's like a carbon copy of mtgtop8. Heavily represented by Affinity, Tron, Twin, Jund and Burn with like 1 or 2 people playing each of the tier 2 decks.

Tier 3 / Rogue decks are nonexistant with the exception of myself. Although I regularely just get stomped for trying to bring silly shit like defender combo decks or Seance ETB.
>>
>>44530563
Why would you play midrange in a format where you can die on turn 3-4?
>>
>>44530568
Then you haven't been playing modern for long enough.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.