[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Savage Worlds thread? Is the Deluxe version of the Fantasy Companion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ejpg-e1334094166456.jpg (102 KB, 499x691) Image search: [Google]
ejpg-e1334094166456.jpg
102 KB, 499x691
Savage Worlds thread?

Is the Deluxe version of the Fantasy Companion meaningfully different from the older version? I can't seem to find a PDF of it anywhere and I'm tempted to buy it, but I'm not sure if it's going to actually be useful to me.
>>
>>44520956
I've used the Explorer's Edition Fantasy Companion with the Deluxe Edition rules with basically no hassle. I can't say for sure if the Deluxe Edition of the Fantasy Companion has any changes to it, as I don't have it either. But it if you like, OP. I'm afraid I can't help you here.

This thread is actually rather topical. Yesterday I revised a Savage Worlds setting I've been working on for over a year or so, on and off.
>>
>>44520956
There's a new edition of the fantasy companion?
>>
Bolt can no longer be charged to do 3d6 damage.
Guts as a skill is gone.
That's about it. Very little else impacts a standard fantasy game.
>>
Any good alternate initiative systems? I detest cards.
>>
>>44522844
I've had limited success with 1d20, 20s counting as Jokers.

Key word here is "limited."
>>
>>44522844
Try a small pachinko machine.

Does anyone know if there's a ruleset for running a game centered around kaiju and giant robots as unstoppable forces of nature and conquest?
>>
>>44520956
I've been thinking of running my next fantasy campaign in SW since D&D has issues (which we've all gone over enough for me to not mention here), and I was wondering what I should keep in mind. What is the system known for? What are known strengths and flaws? Am I making a huge mistake?
>>
>>44523412
Do it. You never know until you try.
>>
>>44523080
>kaiju and giant robots as unstoppable forces of nature and conquest

I dunno about the unstoppable forces bit, but the SciFi Companion has rules for mecha. So if you're looking to run a game wherein your PCs cancel the apocalypse, that might be worth a look.
>>
>>44523412
You are not. The main thing to keep in mind is that Savage Worlds is built more towards the idea of "pulp." Expect fast action. If your PCs roll well, expect important NPCs and monsters and such to go down in a few rounds (though there's a handful of ways to get around this).

Point being, expect things to be fast. Expect a fantasy action movie, basically.
>>
>>44524623
Alright, thanks. I was hoping for something dangerous, since at least a third of my usual players have the explicit pet peeve of enemies with too much health. Any tips for how to make enemies durable when they need to be though? Because once in a while I'm going to need to throw a huge golem at them or something that shouldn't go down fast.
>>
>>44524741
>Any tips for how to make enemies durable when they need to be though?

A high Toughness score, including any Armor they've got, for starters. That'll make it much more difficult to damage them. Similarly, upping their Fighting skill will increase their Parry, making them harder to hit in close combat.

Be careful with this option, though, because your players will catch on quickly that they're not doing anything to it. And if they don't feel like there's a reason to it other than "the GM wants us to suffer," they won't be pleased. A good compromise can be seen in the sample demons in the Fantasy Companion: the "Demon" ability, among other things, reduces the damage they take from non-magical attacks by half...unless the damage was caused by cold iron, which deals full damage.

Another tactic for a Savage Worlds GM that I, unfortunately, often forget about myself is that you get Bennies too. I believe the GM gets a pool of 1 Benny per PC that can be used for any character, and each of your NPC Wild Cards gets 2 as well. As such, Baron Evildoom von Satancultist can make Soak rolls to avoid damage just like the PCs can.
>>
>>44524925
>you get Bennies too.
This brings me to my main point in that prior post, which, like the moron I am, I forgot to bring up.

Look through the rulebook. Find all of those little rules the players can use to their advantage. Things like darkness penalties and ganging up rules and such. Like the attached pdf.

Smart PCs will use tactics like these. So, assuming that what they're fighting is also smart, why wouldn't they use tactics like this as well?

One of the few times my Savage Worlds group, who consistently had excellent rolls throughout the entire campaign, had issues was when I finally buckled down, had my Wild Cards spend Bennies and make Soak rolls, and used intelligent strategies.
>>
File: Combat Survival Guide.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Combat Survival Guide.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44525057
And I forgot to attach the fucking .pdf.

Kill me, please. Just stop me right now.
>>
>>44524925
>>44525057
Thanks for the advice. And don't worry, I'll be careful with really tough enemies, as I mostly intend them to be the "run don't fight" challenges. The kind of thing where one shows up and the entire party goes "oh shit".
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.