[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does your character carry all their shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: encumbrance.jpg (66 KB, 448x820) Image search: [Google]
encumbrance.jpg
66 KB, 448x820
How does your character carry all their shit?
>>
Bag of holding motherfuckers. Always save up to get one first thing.
>>
Riding dog with lots of pouches on the saddle
>>
Stuff it in the car.
>>
Hammer space
>>
File: 1448848396600.jpg (161 KB, 478x689) Image search: [Google]
1448848396600.jpg
161 KB, 478x689
>wearing iron boots
>sinks

>carrying iron boots
>doesn't sink
>>
>>44521061
The boots are clearly magic, you can see it in the equipping animation. They just manifest around his normal shoes.
>>
>>44520845
Heavy repeater has a 3-point harness, so it stays at the low ready, electrostaff is strapped to the side of my backpack, and everything else is either in the backpack or in one of a number of pouches on my belt or my vest.
>>
Squires, Pages and indentured family servants. They also carry my Sergeant's equipment.
>>
In their colon like any normal person.
>>
>>44520853
Bags of holding are cheap idea.
"Oh, we have no clue how your character can have all this stuff like in a video game without having him encumbered, let's explain it by magic!"
Your equipment is a part of your character, if it isn't worth carrying around, leave it behind.
>>
>>44521348

Glad someone else thinks this. Managing your character gets you connected with that character, and I hate it when players immediately ask for cop outs like a bag of holding.
>>
>>44521395
Sounds like someone fucked up and forgot their bag of holding, and is now jelly as shit.

Seriously though, you come off as insisting that someone narrate their three day travel through the wasteland, or spend time narrating their bathroom trips.

"But the constipation from iron rations really connects you with your character, and I really hate when players immediately cop out by asking me to stop narrating my character straining to shit for 3 hours".
>>
>>44521515
>not restricting your diet to food your character has access to.
>not immersing yourself by pooping how your character poops.
Filthy casual.
>>
>>44520853
What do you do when you're playing a game/setting where bags of holding don't exist/aren't easily accessible just because you have money?
>>
>>44521569
It's a bit hard to play while simulating dysentery.
>>
>>44520845

Wagon and horses.

Also, you'll need a few henchmen to guard it when you and your team head into dungeons.

Honestly, if in low-magic setting your party doesn't look like a caravan, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>44521578
Servants, Saddlebags, and inventory slots.

I mean, really, this post is pretty much bait for >>44521515
>>44521395
>>44521348

FAGS of Holding, LAWLS, AMIRIGHT GUYS!?!?

But IDK, hammerspace and shit are acceptable. Maybe a high-tech dimensional warper that teleports shit to and from your vault. Or making everything be hard-light projections that you have to find schematics for to upgrade them.
>>
Sometimes a camel or prehistoric flightless murderbird and at least once a giant talking spider-crab, but usually just a regular mule.

Just strap it on there.

It's a fucking mule, they exist for 2 reasons:
1) To carry your shit.
2) Horses are sex perverts.
>>
>>44520845
A handy haversack, of course. Not that I use much of my stuff, as I spend most of the time as a large horse or a dire lion
I carry party members from time to time, too
>>
>>44521515

Not at all, I just think space management can be a simple and effective tool for keeping players in touch with both their characters and the game. Something like a bag of holding is so lazy and at this point unimaginative. It's designed to ensure players can always have their way, which is fun until you get bored of the perfect scenario you're in. Just like getting bored of living in an amusement park, items like a bag of holding diminish the value of the legitimate rewards and adventures players experience.

That being said I don't hate them, I just hate their liberal distribution. It's much better as a hard earned reward rather than something that's just thrown at lvl 3 players by a lazy GM. Of course if your campaign is a silly one, there's no issue with handing them out so that players can get creative.
>>
File: 14658579652.jpg (86 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
14658579652.jpg
86 KB, 500x628
>>44521348
>>
File: image.jpg (799 KB, 2680x3094) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
799 KB, 2680x3094
>>44520845
Depends. Character I made for a campaign soon doesn't have much to carry. He's got a small bag with rations, water, food for his monitor lizard and some other provisions. He's got sleeping gear strapped to one side, and his spare whackers and sword sheathed on his belt
>>
>>44521679
I only use space management for low-fantasy or other games where resource control is relevant to the game mechanics.

I rely on the players role-playing their characters to stay in touch with the characters and the game.

I've even *FUCKING SHOCKING GASP* played narrative based games - without any dice rolling!

And had it be fairly serious.

Murderous =/= serious.

I also use bags of holding when I don't want to do a shit-ton of work keeping track of petty details.
>>
>>44521826

That's fair. I suppose what's really important is the setting and the attitude of the players taking part.
>>
>>44521860
True. You don't know pain until one of your players tries to put a shit ton of stones from a field wall into the bag of holding "for reasons"
>>
>>44520845
He has a house and a locked door, knows where to get himself a mule and wagon for carting stolen goods from the enemy, rewards from the kind and the like, and manages his inventory like a sane person would.

Seriously, Elder Scrolls Kleptomania isn't very practical in TRPGs and unappealing in vidya.
>>
>>44521348
Bags of holding predate videogames that have inventories.
>>
>>44520845
Hirelings. Also literal pack mules.
>>
>>44520845
They have servants and horses
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99j0zLuNhi8
>>
>>44520845
belts pockets backpacks and bags of holding.

look at some wayne reynolds arent and you will get a good idea
>>
>>44521061
You can carry stuff while swimming if you can flop your limbs.

Ironboots limit your leg mobility to a crawl.
>>
Has the thirsty orc girl with a crush on him to do it.
>>
>>44521630
>I spend most of the time as a large horse or a dire lion

Fucking druids, I swear.
>>
>>44520845
Cart/Wagon/Carriage
Ludicrous strength
Saddle bags
Backpack
Pouches
Hirelings
Extradimensional storage space
He doesn't, he teleports it back
Magical levitation
Magical weight reduction
Flat out hoping the GM doesn't give a shit

I've used all of the above
>>
>>44526247
Not a bad explanation, but I think >>44521131
is right, especially in Twilight Princess.

You go from weighing maybe 150 lbs or so to over 1000 lbs.
>>
File: 1421527098186.gif (2 MB, 449x266) Image search: [Google]
1421527098186.gif
2 MB, 449x266
>>44521061
All of Link's equipment is magic. Note how it sticks with him when he travels through time and even sticks with him when he returns from death (die in Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 and you'll go back to the start of the game having lost all of your rupees and bombs but keeping all of your items). Items, masks and heart containers exist outside of time, or Link has some sort of magic ability to take these with him.
>>
>>44520845
That's what lackeys are for.
>>
File: dysentery.jpg (28 KB, 500x289) Image search: [Google]
dysentery.jpg
28 KB, 500x289
I mod The Oregon Trail to work as a mini-game for whatever TTRPG I want to play.

The idea of a dwarf with half a ton of gear strapped to his back, fighting at optimum effectiveness, all day, while simultaneously marching all day, and eating 1 (one) ration to do it, strikes me as absolutely ludicrous.

The Oregon Trail on the other hand is, was, and forever shall be, Fun™. So it's a cool solution to the problem.
>>
>>44520845
In a backpack.
>>
In our drakkar.
>>
>>44521751
love when people use this image. nothing improves a conversation like a repost of someone elses asinine non-contribution.
>>
Anyway, the answer for where my current characters put equipment they're not using right now is: on the pack horse or with the squire; in the car; back at the lab or miniaturized and stuck in a belt pouch.
>>
>>44521348
I like the idea of an entire village of Halflings (or was it Kender?) who live inside a bag of holding. Shit was hilarious at the time.
>>
Bags of holding, or equivalents. One of my PCs carries his positions like Gilgamesh from fate, just pulling things out of hammerspace.

When bags of holding are not available, the answer is manservants and slaves. And in one particular instance, a mastodon.
>>
>>44535697
possessions*
>>
Give everything to the druid, it merges with his form when wildshaped, can move normally.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.