[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How comes roleplaying games are considered such a poor medium
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
How comes roleplaying games are considered such a poor medium to run drama/relationship based stories (that is, where combat or investigation or solving those external challenges is considered secondary to the character interactions and their personal problems)? I think we're past the age where we'd consider any show that doesn't involve gunfighting to be an inane soap opera. Wouldn't RPGs lend themselves especially well to those, at least on paper?
>>
>>44519312
Yeah, but why make a game out of it, with rules and restrictions, when you can just go into improv drama?
And who would come together on a Saturday night to play a realistic drama? Not every player has those capabilities to make it truly realistic and you probably get some drama already everyday. The reason why series like house MD works as a single narrative, but I doubt adding interactive aspects to them can be done in a good and meaningful way.
>>
>>44519312
>Wouldn't RPGs lend themselves especially well to those, at least on paper
>drama/relationship based stories
You don't need a game to RP. Most people can Role Play just fine, and enjoy it. At that point, the Game part of the RPG gets in the way of immersing oneself in the character.

You don't need the RP interrupted to find a GM adjudicating "you wooed Sandra successfully, your bond has gone from 'close friends' to 'potential fuckbuddies' and you can distribute three relationship points towards finding out knowledge about her, such as her weak spots in bed if you so choose" after roleplaying your character whispering sweet nothings in Sandra's ear over the course of a movie.
>>
>>44519312
>I think we're past the age where we'd consider any show that doesn't involve gunfighting to be an inane soap opera

your new games journalism is showing, fuck off back to undertale
>>
>>44519312
There are games that do exactly what you want. Unfortunately, the D&D crowd tends to dismiss them out of sheer ignorance, because they don't fit the "standard" idea of RPGs. See >>44519365 and >>44519388.

I suggest taking a look at Primetime Adventures and Fiasco.
>>
File: Fiasco_cover.gif (52 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
Fiasco_cover.gif
52 KB, 250x375
>How comes roleplaying games are considered such a poor medium to run drama/relationship based stories

Have you tried not playing DnD?
>>
>>44519406
>The D&D crowd
>sheer ignorance
Well, those statements were insulting.
>>
>>44519404
...What?
>>
>>44519312
>How comes roleplaying games are considered such a poor medium to run drama/relationship based stories (that is, where combat or investigation or solving those external challenges is considered secondary to the character interactions and their personal problems)? I think we're past the age where we'd consider any show that doesn't involve gunfighting to be an inane soap opera. Wouldn't RPGs lend themselves especially well to those, at least on paper?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Constellations
>>
Because for a lot of us, our hobbies and relaxing with friends time are there to get us the fuck away from drama and relationships.

I've never really seen many people try to argue that RPGs are a bad medium for such things. It's just not why a large portion of the hobby plays them.
>>
>>44519423
They are meant to be. First two posts in the thread are the usual ignorant drivel from people who have only experienced one game in their lives. I might be wrong in assuming they are D&D players, but those arguments usually come up in D&D threads.
Not all D&D players are bad. Some D&D players however are unable to see that the world doesn't end with D&D.
>>
>>44521455
I have to agree with this.

Fiasco is more than just a little known in the hobby, and there are a ton of limited to no violence TTRPGs out there.
>>
>>44519365
>And who would come together on a Saturday night to play a realistic drama?

Theatre types?
>>
>>44522762
Aka faggots
>>
>>44519413

Pretty much. There's a few great systems for exactly this kind of thing.
>>
>>44519406
D&d crowd dismisses them, because they aren't into faggotry.
>>
We've got a few: Fiasco, Prime Time Adventures, and Drama System for starters. They're just not popular for the same reason that supernatural monster of the week shows rule the airwaves along with sitcoms: most folks want light entertainment and escapism. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it is what it is.
>>
File: 1339091214389.jpg (79 KB, 257x374) Image search: [Google]
1339091214389.jpg
79 KB, 257x374
>>44522881
>they aren't into faggotry.
>D&d crowd
>>
>>44522881
>My manliness depends on what kind of pretend elfgames I play

Sure, man.
>>
>>44519312

Hillfolk/Dramasystem is literally built for this and works like a dream. Monsterhearts (and other Powered by the Apocalypse games) are also damn good at drama, and there are plenty of FATE builds without combat skills.

The ganes are out there, OP.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.