[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yay-Nay game: Classes and races
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: yaynay.jpg (116 KB, 567x570) Image search: [Google]
yaynay.jpg
116 KB, 567x570
The game is simple: you post a brief idea about a class, a race or something else, whatever, others will respond with 'yay' if they like it and 'nay' if they don't.
And then we start the discussionings.

I'll start:
>a race of old disgruntled robots in a fantasy setting
>they look like rusty 80ies robots with screw and light bulbs
>they all have a magical core, but know little of how they were made or what they are
>they mostly act like little children, but sometimes carry out a single task for ages (like guarding a place)
>It's not a post-apoc setting
>>
a bird
>>
>>44518912
yay
>>
>>44518446

OP is a fag
>>
>>44518912
what kind of bird?
>>44519036
What did I do to earn fagdom?
>>
>>44519041
flirty bird
>>
only doubles can decide if a class or race is worthy. this thread is full heresy
>>
>>44518446
Nay, I feel to be useful they would have been designed with either greater learning capacities so would be more adult like or less learning capacities and be more mindless construct like.

>setting/magic geography idea
>upward flows of magic energies raise huge pillars of stone from the ground of centuries
>these tend to be upwards of a mile tall
>they tend to grow in clusters like a bizarre forest
>have entire unique ecosystems dwelling in their upper reaches
>segments can break off and can exists as floating islands for centuries because of residual magic energies
>>
>>44518446
Nay. Also your description sounds more like 1950s than 80s, 80s robots would look like choppy animatronics ala Terminator or Luke's robot hand in Star Wars.

An early industrial/steampunk setting where the wealthy heartland of the kingdom where all the industry and science happens are seperated from the shitty mining and farming towns by a giant wall and to only way for the prole PCs to get over it is by stealing an airship.
>>
>>44519141
Yay, sounds interesting but the heartland probably would be pretty shitty in it''s own way due to all the industry clustered there cause awful pollution problems.
>>
>>44519127
It's not that kind of game, it's just a brainstorm. I might not have been clear enough about that part.

>>44519140
Yay, might even be stealing this.

>>44519141
Nay. Sounds like it's just a dystopian Marxist setting. I think you should also give your players more options, but that's just a personal taste in gming
>>
File: bird.png (10 KB, 769x796) Image search: [Google]
bird.png
10 KB, 769x796
>>44519065
yay
>>
>>44519187
>Yay, might even be stealing this.
Have at. I'm not the DMing type but would like some of my better ideas to be put to use by some one.
>>
>>44518446
nay
>>44519140
yay
>>44519141
nay
>>
>>44519244
great. Players just started out on a cluster of floating islands and then fell down to a larger landmass, so with a bit of fiddling this could work just fine.
>>
>>44518446
Anything that's fucking furry bullshit or treads towards mary sue levels of perfectionism is automatically a nay
>>
>>44519127
dubsfagotry is cancer
>>
>>44520073
A race of super strong, smart and fast animal people that have innate spell casting like dragons and are all hermaphrodites who's sole purpose for existing is for raping this anon's PCs.
>>
>>44520073
Nay
(are you talking about those robots? Because they are in no way furry or perfect)
>>44520358
Nay
>>44520396
Nay
>>
Space gypsy robots.

They live their entire lives on large ships which wander around trading and scavenging for parts and power. In order to get by, they produce folk art, special machines, or some other unique sort of thing to trade with other races. Individuals almost never leave their home ship unless traded to a different ship to secure a bond between two clans. Each ship/clan has its own unique take on the race's history, lore, and origins, none of which seem realistic at all.

They are divided roughly in half into those capable with hardware and those capable with software. A pair of them will get together to build new ones to reproduce, passing on their own unique methods of making hardware and AI. The process goes in steps, beginning with a roomba-like robot and gradually moving to a humanoid about the size of an average human. At the end of their "life" cycle, their memory banks are removed and integrated with the ship's database.

Since their arms, buttons, switches, ports, wires, etc. are used in the creation of new 'bots, they are viewed as similar to genitals and covered in cloth. This applies not only to the robots themselves but also to their ships--the inside of one of their ships is filled with tons of blankets, wrappings, carpets, etc., all covering every single switchboard, button, control panel, etc. except when absolutely necessary for use.
>>
>>44518446
>>44518912
>>44519065
>>44522456
Nay.
>>
Class: Spellscribe

Spellscribes cannot cast their own spells. However, they are able to learn nearly any spell or spell-like ability. By analyzing a spell their are hit with, they can learn the nature of its essence. They can then scribe special scrolls which describe, in absolutely stunning, perfect, incomprehensible detail the exact nature of the spell. By reading this scroll later, a spellscribe can activate the spell, which is absolutely identical in power, caster level, etc. to the one he was hit with in the first place. However, if the spell is too powerful, he may be unable to analyze it in the first place.

Because of the nature of a spellscribe's scrolls, they cannot be read by anyone who has not studied spellscripture. Spellscribes other than the one who wrote the scroll must also make a check to understand it, as each spellscribe has his own unique way of interpreting magic.
>>
Runestones as weapons. This was a dream I had once. I dreamed that if you carved special runes into a small stone, the stone itself would have powerful magic inherently. In my dream, I was a martial artist-like guy who held two of these while fighting, trying to just touch my opponent with them. It reminded me of the Gun Kata from that movie Equilibrium with Christian Bale. I don't know what would have happened in my dream if I was successful, but I imagine it would have been fatal or at least damaging.

I think you could also have some that blow up, like those written bomb papers in Naruto. Throwing them seems like a reasonable option too.
>>
>>44522456
Yay, but don't call them gypsies. Not Sjw-reasons, it would just diminish their character.
>>44522550
Yay
You don't happen to have read the classes-worldbuilding thread yesterday and looked at a certain class called 'papermancer', do ya?
Because this seems like an improved version of the idea I posted
>>44522943
Yay on the runes
Nay on the bombs
could they be carved on anything else than a rock?
>>
>>44518446
Brain slugs at war with a race of shape shifting centaurs.
>>
>>44523096
you'll need to elaborate
>>
>>44518446
Beastmen are occasionally born by humans (due to a side effect of magic use), and live isolated and in fear of adventurers on the lower slope of mountains. They protect their territory and accept any human bringing another beastman they birthed with open arms, but force the human to leave ASAP.

Since it is magic, the beastmen can be various levels of horror and various levels of anthro and have no set features besides animalistic. Humans with minor beastial features can live in human society (secretly or not), but humans still are still shitty to them.
>>
>>44523091
Dunno, in my dream they were smooth stones (as if pulled from a stream) just large enough to grip securely in your hand with enough exposed surface to hit someone with, like if you tried to strike open-handed with the base of your palm (martial arts style).
In retrospect this idea probably owes more to Full Metal Alchemist that I considered before...
>>
>>44523204
>Beastmen are occasionally born by humans
my furradar went off.
>>
>>44523160
Well the brain slugs are parasites that overtake their host's brain and use their body, intelligent creatures result in a more complete take over but they could also take over an animal and execute more rudimentary commands.

Through what basically amounts to magic, the centaurs are able to shape shift into other creatures they have touched for a few minutes. They can change for a long time, but not infinite or they get stuck in that form.
>>
>>44523239
You must hate folklore then
>>
File: Snid Compilation Downsize.png (282 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
Snid Compilation Downsize.png
282 KB, 1000x625
>crustacean people
>don't die of old age and never stop growing
>prone to attempt things way above their pay grade ("Hey Bjorgas watch me kill this dragon!")
>kingship is determined by whoever killed the previous king
>many different kinds based off of different crabs
>everytime you post anything about them on /tg/ people make South Park jokes that you've heard dozens of times already
>>
>>44523204
I hate that minor feature bullshit, all beastpeople shoould be cool beasts, not catpeople or stupid bullshit like that.
>>
>>44523364
Yay
>>
>>44523382
I wasn't talking cat girls, more like Minotaur... But I see it now
>>
>>44523364
yay
>>
>>44523272
nay.
>>
Goblinoids are a product of trolls' reincarnation ritual with different degrees of success, from animalistic goblins, to highly-advanced humans
>>
>>44527569
yay?
Tell more about these trolls and their ritual.
>>
>>44527745
There's no resurrection/reincarnation magic in the setting - once the soul is gone, it's gone. Trolls were being wiped out in a genocidal war and as the last "fuck you" created a ritual that "suspends" a soul in a material plane using elder magic (the kind best not fucked with). The results were mixed: while ritual technically succeeded, the souls got reborn 1000+ years later, erraticaly and without memories, finding "hosts" and mutating them into (hopefully) humanoid appearance.

500 years later we have a whole lot of goblinoid species, with their cultures and civilizations (if they're smart enough to have any). Humans are among the three most successful ones and the only ones to improve upon precursors' aspects (magical aptitude; humans, and not elves, are the most magical race in my setting.)
>>
>>44523091
>You don't happen to have read the classes-worldbuilding thread yesterday and looked at a certain class called 'papermancer', do ya?
No, I've had this idea bouncing around for a while. What was the papermancer like?
>>
Haflings reskinned into Fishlings for a D&D 5e campaign that takes place entirely underwater. The campaign itself is inspired by Sword and Planet tales and stylistically can be described like Dark Sun, but underwater. They're so incredibly varied in appearances that the two "subraces" are just general genotypes of the many small humanoid fish things. They're the most populous playable race, with Humans right after them.
>>
>>44518446
>Hard scifi setting set in the solar system, where humanizy has not yet invented FTL or CTL drives yet.
>massive population spike caused migration from earth to first self sustaining moon colony and space stations orbing earth.
> still not enough space/materials
> companies begin to capture asteroids that fly past earth and mine them for materials, especially raw stuff like platinum or rare earths or whatever
> turns out that doing mining this way is fucking cheap because the space colonies are already storing tonns of fuel in orbit for manouvers, Nervas make things easier too.
> lot of companiea begin to fight over who get's which asteroid as it passea by, first companies decide to leave solar system in order to hunt for bigger and more expensive asteroids, expensive as fuck, but still worth it, because you don't have to pay nearly as many taxes to the asteroid tracking commitee to get the papers for a flyby asteroid
> try to save money by building asteroid bases out of earths sphere of influence
> shit goes majorly wrong with close flyby asteroid
> explosion aboard massive mining barge, not time to manouver, crew dead instantly
> explosion knocks asteroid on intercept course
> fuckhuge ball of stone splits in two halfs, one hits Cuba, resulting Tsunami fucks up massive parts of America, other half impacts Denmark, massive fires spread across northern Europe, pol is happy
>earth is fucked, massive climate change, humanity stuck in space, no resupply from dead home, layer of ashes make landing impossible
> some of the survivors team up and go to Mars, set up Olympus society in Mars orbit/on Mars surface
> humanity survives, earth still dead and inhospitable, moon now humanity's home
> humans spread to Jupiter moons/ saturn rings, all independent societies that sometimes trade
>>
File: adam_rbt_attack.gif (21 KB, 196x196) Image search: [Google]
adam_rbt_attack.gif
21 KB, 196x196
>>44518446
Shining force.
>>
File: Goblin Slave.jpg (118 KB, 809x988) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Slave.jpg
118 KB, 809x988
Goblins are a trash race made from whenever humans spill their seed on the ground. Semen is meant to be semi-magical in this setting and crossbreeds are common, but goblins are shit and cum. Because they are made at least partially via masturbation it explains why they will never, ever be eradicated.
>>
>>44532053
Nay, and a go away.

For a second, I was hoping you were going in the direction of the Spontaneous Generation belief held in medieval times, where rats could be spawned from rags left in a pile in dark place, and that goblins were literally a trash race that spawned from heaps of garbage, but instead you decided to take the "17 year olds first time on 4chan" route.
>>
>>44532156

That is what people believe creates Goblins yes, but the seed is magical.

You countered my edge with more edge. What shame.
>>
File: 1451213794491.png (189 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1451213794491.png
189 KB, 480x360
>>44532053
>>
>>44530952
Yay or nay?
>>
File: Natives burial.jpg (539 KB, 1280x880) Image search: [Google]
Natives burial.jpg
539 KB, 1280x880
Everyone in the world believes in a semi-Egyptian style afterlife where some of your physical goods and things you have sacrificed and/or had buried with you get transferred to you in the afterlife.

This is also convenient for making dungeons ala tombs and crypts more common.
>>
>>44532323

>post le magical realm meme when the concept wasn't magical realm in the slightest

/tg/ has fallen.
>>
>>44529272
Wizard that could only cast spells from characters on scrolls and paper, different pieces of paper can be put together for different results, origami-based spells are the most basic.
>>
>>44533624
>Setting about magical semen and masturbation
>Don't accuse me of magical realm teeg!
>>
>>44538383

>What is mythology
>What are tieflings, minotaurs and elf elves
>What is an ounce of creativity
>>
An actual dual-shield class
>2 throwing shields
>Parries stun instead of deal damage
>Not actually tanky, spends most of the time dodging when both shields are thrown
>Can throw shield to intercept ranged/spell attack
>Shieldbash for stuns+damage
>Knee-spikes for damage/coup de grace
>>
>>44538565
You can get creative without semen my friend.
>>
File: FF5-BlueMage.png (95 KB, 258x205) Image search: [Google]
FF5-BlueMage.png
95 KB, 258x205
>>44522550
So one of these
>>
>>44538749
Yay.
>>
>>44532468
Nay unless you can elaborate more
>>
>>44532672
I'd buy it, it'd make more sense as to why there's loot and traps and shit.
>>
>>44531667
Yay
I would also love the idea of huge goldrush-mafiapirate fights over different asteroids.
And I would want to integrate teams of scavengers who would descend to the dangerous earth, hoping to make it out alive with some relics. A simple box of cornflakes would be worth a fortune, but the risk would be great enough to compensate.
>>
>>44528246
Scientology?
>>
>>44523204
nay
>>
>>44540499
never thought of it like that.
>>
>>44539462
Elaborate on the setting or Fishlings?

Setting wise it's a post-apocalyptic fantasy in the vein of Dark Sun. Something or someone caused the sinking of the world long ago, and society has adapted since then. Chiefly there is little paper or fabric from the time before, having dissolved long ago. Must knowledge has been lost because of this, only carvings and sculptures of stone, metal, even glass, remain. Metal itself is rare as well, hardly used for armor. Copper and Bronze are mostly the remnants of ancient weapons, with precious metals and stones worn as items of power or station. Most armor and weapons are made of more brittle materials, like bone, stone, and shell.

It's unknown when Fishlings emerged, it seems they have always been here. They're similar to numerous fish colonies of the ocean, but small and humanoid is figure. So varied are their kind that statistically they're divided into the lighter and most agile, and the stouter and more hardy. They often coexist with other peoples, the relationship being anything from mutual aid or ally, to being slaves, servants, or even food. They live in small colonies in reefs of coral or in the remnants of huge dead things, like whales. Not known to be fighters or warriors, they would rather run and hide from enemies or predators. Some however have learned to fend for themselves quite well, but these are the exceptional few.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.