[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I selfishly pursue selflessness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: 1451698044196.jpg (15 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
1451698044196.jpg
15 KB, 170x170
How do I selfishly pursue selflessness?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
>>44515033
>"The only way to get a knighthood these days is through charity work."
>>
>>44515033
Help people that don't want you too.
>>
>>44515033
>What are the poor and needed but the entry fee into heaven? We must aid them for they are the means of my salvation.
>>
>>44515033
Become the pope.
>>
>>44515272
Why would becoming a Sith Lord have anything to do with selflessness?
>>
>>44515033
Everyone who does good deeds because it feels good is this.
Also, people who give to charity for tax breaks, or act generously for the reputation.
>>
File: Boomerang Force.jpg (578 KB, 1101x1642) Image search: [Google]
Boomerang Force.jpg
578 KB, 1101x1642
>>44515033

Like this.
>>
I have someone in my game that keeps trying to shit on my character for going rough ways to help people (letting party members fight and come to compromise instead of carrying them through it, saying harsh things at times that might not be appropriate but are worth hearing, etc.) while trying to be Shirou expy. It's so annoying annoying as fuck.
>>
By helping people not because you want to, but because doing it is the only way you feel like a whole, unbroken person even if it's only for a single fleeting moment until the you once again feel like the broken boy who for all intents and purposes died in that incident all those years ago.
>>
>>44515033

I suffer from mental health problems, and it sucked before I had treatment, medication etc.

As a result, I started volunteering with a mental health charity because I knew how much going through mental illness sucked and wanted to do something to improve mental health. It was a selfless goal that I pursued for selfish reasons.
>>
File: Trust_no_one.jpg (207 KB, 1480x1110) Image search: [Google]
Trust_no_one.jpg
207 KB, 1480x1110
>>44515701
Just because you're correct doesn't mean you're right.
>>
>>44515802
I'm not saying we should discourage these people, I'm just saying that selfless people barely actually exist. As long as people are being helped, who cares why the person is helping them?
Unless it's Oprah, fuck Oprah.
>>
>>44515100
/thread
This is exactly the sort of character you want for such a concept
>>
>>44515033
>Have a character who wants to gain some group of people's trust for some reason
>oh fuck I'm a terrible liar/ can't hide my bloodlust/ mind reading is common in the setting
>try to find get a conscious so people will trust you
>the only way you know how to gain a conscious is to forcibly take it from someone's soul
>do it, maybe murder the guy afterwards
>feel guilt afterwards
>rest of character arc is about how you integrate and understand 'moral' motivations, whether or not you accept moral motivation as transcendent and above selfish ones and how you see yourself from before you got a conscious.
>>44515154
Is also a good take.
>>
>>44515033
By seigi no mikata. And then you will sword.
>>
File: alpha watt.png (643 KB, 1097x1600) Image search: [Google]
alpha watt.png
643 KB, 1097x1600
>>44515033
>>
How about, your selflessness causes you to constantly put your self in danger and to focus on helping others, and its hurts your friends and family. You never have time for them, and they're always worrying about you
>>
>>44516445
That's not selfishness, it's just a conflict of priorities. In fact, I'd argue that helping fewer people for your friends and family's sake would be more selfish, since you'd be prioritizing the people that personally effect you over everyone else.
>>
>>44516445
spider man plz
>>
>>44515033
As it so happens, I murdered a man once and got sent to jail. I did it impressively enough though that the king gave me pardon for a simple job. Turns out that people don't mind bloody violence so much that directed at crooks much worse than the man doing it, and so I've taken quite nicely to this whole knight thing that gives me an excuse to turn men into corpses.
>>
>>44515100
That's not pursuing selflessness through selfishness though. That's using what appears to be a selfless act to achieve a selfish goal.

>>44515033
>How do I selfishly pursue selflessness?
You can't, OP. That's an oxymoron. Selfishness means to put your own happiness and well-being before the happiness and well-being of others and selflessness is the exact opposite; to put the happiness and well-being of others before your own. To pursue one through the other would be just as impossible as for a metal rod to be coldwarm or for it to be shortlong.
>>
File: mr.png (84 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
mr.png
84 KB, 475x475
>>44515033
Why do that, when you can selflessly pursue selfishness?
>>
File: Federation.jpg (439 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Federation.jpg
439 KB, 1920x1080
>>44515033
Exist in a Utopian post-scarcity society, where the only way to one-up everyone else and show off is by giving more selflessly of yourself to help the poor disenfranchised outsiders than any of your neighbors.
>>
>>44515756
You're not alone anon. We're all here for you.
>>
>>44515033
There's selflesness in a bottle; you can dump it in the water supply and make the world a better place, or you can drink it and become wholly selfness and transcend into nirvana.

Then you drink the bottle.
>>
>>44515033
Like this?
>>
>>44518166
Then what about people who gain happiness from giving other people happiness?
>>
Injustify yourself.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.