[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys, I've been playing a lot of Dragon Warrior I know that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: dragon-quest-82[1].jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dragon-quest-82[1].jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Guys, I've been playing a lot of Dragon Warrior I know that's not the original name, but I'm avoiding filters here, and now I'm hankering for that old Japanese Console RPG experience, and while I like 5th edition, it's not quite doing it for me. Is there an RPG out there that would suit me?

Needs:
>Class based
>Uses MP instead of slots or something extravegant
>Simple skill/combat resolution mechanic
>Enough depth that building your character takes some thought and reading of the system and actually building, but not enough that you spend more than one, one-and-a-half hours pouring over mountains of texts for one build path

Wants/Preferences:
>Item tree (This sword is better than this sword, as opposed to all swords do the same damage unless they are magical)
>Simple monster creation
>Something that isn't based on d6.

Is there ANYTHING out there like that?
>>
>>44507713
Bumping for Dragon Quest. Don't give a shit about crunch, but hoping for fluff. Got any of that, OP?
>>
>>44508538
Fluff? Dragon Quest? What exactly would you be looking for?
>>
>>44508703
I played and beat the first one way long ago. Tried the second and third, but couldn't muster patience for them. 8 was next, then 9 (my favorite) then tried the one for the wii. As far as I know, the only thing that remains constant from one game to another is the monsters and music. Those are easy, but I want something more like a story plot.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>44508770
Story seems to be completely dependant on game, as outside of the "trilogys" that the games have going for them, there really honestly isn't much consistent lore between the games aside from monsters like Slimes and the Demon Kings.

I will say that DQ I through III had a very interesting story, especially the spoiler at the end where you find out that you've been controlling the hero of legend all this time and this is actually a prequel to one
>>
>>44507713
I suggest Super Console.
>>
>>44508983
>$10 indie game
I imagine it's hard to find a pdf for this floating around. Can you tell me more?
>>
>>44509063
Yeah, it's super hard to find.
First, you type "Super Console pdf" into Google.
Then, you click the very first link.
It took me 1/1200 hours to find it.
>>
>>44509210
I actually came to tell your snarky ass I found it.

Either way, thank you for telling me about it, but I don't think it's quite the system I need. Thank you though.
>>
>>44507713
Google: Red Box Hack
It's nice, in it's own strange way.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.