[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Blood Moon.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Blood Moon.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
"Ban 8ED and 9ED" Edition

The trick to beat the UR creatureland is to burn in response to the first switch.
>currently 1/4
>"activate"
>Lightning Bolt in response
>"activate in response" means it becomes a 4/1 before Lightning Bolt resolves. Kills the creatureland.
>"ok" means the 1/4 takes 3 damage, then becomes a 4/1. Kills the creatureland.
>>
File: Modern Tier 1&2.jpg (116 KB, 915x1568) Image search: [Google]
Modern Tier 1&2.jpg
116 KB, 915x1568
What do you play from the top tiers?
>>
>implying a 2 card, turn 4 combo that wins you the game on the spot isn't degenerate
>>
>>44506560
>burn and twin have a lowre day 2 percentage
weird
>>
>>44506608
Burn folds easier post-game 1
I don't know about Twin thoug
>>
>>44506365
Fucking scrubs.
If moon is banned, the only decks around will be 4-5c good stuff.
Just like standard. Go play that if a simple card like blood moon beats you this bad
>>
>>44506608
burn makes sense because people have burn hate because they don't like losing to it. Once you get to the top tables, too much burn hate to punch through.

Twin I'm guessing is because a lot of linear decks are responding to Twin's presence in their sbs.
>>
so with all the discussion of SBA in the last thread, I'm confused.

A creature can die if it has taken lethal damage before the full stack resolves. But I've also heard people say that Tarmogoyf can survive a bolt at 2/3 since SBA is after both the bolt and goyf's trigger.
>>
>>44506365
Just goes to show how shitty the new UR Manland is.
>Too Expensive for any UR deck in Modern
>Doesn't fly
>Can be bolted/kolaghan's commanded/gutshotted easily
>>
>>44506707
Goyf checks the yard at all times, so once bolt hits the yard, it grows to 3/4 the exact same time it has 3 damage on it
>>
>>44506560
>Affinity
>Burn
>UR Twin
>Jund

Also own the pieces for Abzan, Grixis Twin, Scapeshift, Grixis, Naya Company, Atarka Zoo, Abzan Company, Knightfall and Grixis Delver. I try to focus on UR Twin as of late, however.
>>
>>44506707
>goyf's trigger.
What trigger?
>>
>>44506707
static ability lad
>>
>>44506658
Blood Moon doesn't kill those decks. It's Burn.

Blood Moon just randomly steals games. You have to hope you draw your fetchlands/basics or a solid answer in your opening hand or else you are prone to an early Moon blowout.
>>
File: jegan thumbs up.png (102 KB, 540x515) Image search: [Google]
jegan thumbs up.png
102 KB, 540x515
>>44506743
>>44506774
>>44506803

That explains it. Thanks
>>
>>44506707
the same SBA that checks to see if goyf is kill will also update his P/T for the new card in the graveyard and make the damage no longer lethal.
>>
>>44507200
that's due to the timestamp thing right?
>>
Why is modern Ponder green now

and a useless enchantment for some reason
>>
>>44507310
Because Wizards wants to show Legacy Enchantress some love.
>>
Im asking here because I dont know where else.
Everyone is talking about pucatrade with the "100 1€ cards to a 100€ card", but arent you wasting a massive amount of shipping costs if you send a lot of people really cheap cards?
>>
>ban blood mood
>unban SFM and BBE
>amulet is fair
>>
File: ds_shit.jpg (40 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ds_shit.jpg
40 KB, 600x600
>>44507381
>thinking amulet is unfair

altough I agree that banning blood moon is retarded
>>
>>44507381
I expect some nerf to amulet at least

WotC doesnt like tier1 decks that often win turn 3
>>
>>44507381
>spell snare the summer bloom
>oh shit bloom doesn't cast titan until like turn 5 at the earliest
>>
>>44507379
seconding this question
>>
>>44507396
Thank you so much for that reaction image.
>>
File: ds_frampt_laughing.jpg (32 KB, 569x472) Image search: [Google]
ds_frampt_laughing.jpg
32 KB, 569x472
>>44507459
no problem
>>
>>44507310
>Modern Ponder Green
It's:

G - Sorcery
Anticipate, but only choose a creature, a land or a planeswalker.

Not as exciting as you think.
>>
>>44506836
Maybe you should stop being so greedy if blood moon blows you out.
>>
>>44507568
>play deck with only basic lands
>have to play shitty cards because you can't play a multicolor deck so you don't lose to blood moon

>play with good cards, only 2 color deck
>still lose to bm because you need utility lands to not lose to specific things but now you auto-lose to moon
>>
>>44507568
It doesn't blow me out lol, I play UR Twin. I play it a lot and it's never good Magic.

I'm totally fine with having solid hate for Land-dependant strategies like Tron, Amulet and Scapeshift. What bothers me is when I bring it in against Jund/Abzan/Grixis/AdNauseam for random snipes and most often than not it works.

I play Blood Moon and acknowledge its brokenness.
>>
Someone I Was talking to was telling me that Sleight is better than Visions in Infect but I don't think he's right because his logic was that drawing a card can give you a dead draw as opposed to just grabbing a card but my argument was that infect has less dead cards than other decks and odds are you'll grab another pump spell which is a good answer, plus you don't always have the mana to Sleight/Visions and then use that card, usually you need to leave mana to feint or play a vines or blessing so the way i see it is visions lets you dig deeper which is fine because post-board games go longer and you can usually buy yourself a turn or two
>>
>What you want to see banned
some amulet thing, splinter twin

>What you want to see unbanned
SFM, sword of the meek

>What you expect to be banned
some amulet thing

>what you expect to be unbanned
nothing

Also I really hope all these blood moon ban rumors are wrong
>>
>>44507661
>I play it a lot
I mean Blood Moon. UR Twin as a deck is fucking awesome. The Turn 4 combo is rare (disruption and variance) but the Control/Tempo game is crazy fun.
>>
Would thopter combo be that great in modern?
>>
>>44507724
It'd be good, not amazing.
>>
Can I just say the sight of speculators buying out modern cards is the most hilarious thing. And they're always completely out of left field.
>>
>>44507379
Probably, plus pucatrade's a scam anyways

>>44507694
I doubt blood moon will eat a ban. Its a free wins card but it doesn't completely dominate the format. Its in the sideboard of like, Twin, and some other shit that I cant remember.
>>
File: Grixis Midrange-Control.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Grixis Midrange-Control.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>44506560
Playing Grixis Mid-Con lately.
It's damn fun with the intricate lines of play.
I highly recommend it.
>>
>>44507744
would it be good enough to be tier 1 is what i mean
it's not an infinite and it costs quite a bit of mana, plus it can be boarded against.
>>
>>44507770
>pucatrade scam
care to elaborate? Looks like a really nice way to get/get rid off bulk cards but shipping costs is really a killer
>>
>>44507724
probably playable but it blows my mind it's still banned now Abrupt Decay exists
>>
File: 24234234234.jpg (10 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
24234234234.jpg
10 KB, 222x227
>people wanting amulet bloom to be banned

I guess the way more consistent twin is okay though right?
>>
>>44507773
Artifact/Grave hate shuts off the combo

Esper Gifts will include the thopter/sword combo into its deck and it'll play it and it'll be a fine thing to be doing but it won't dominate modern.

It might push gifts into tier 2, but that's it.
>>
>>44507814
twin can't win t3

that said I'd love to see twin banned just because Im sick of seeing it, it's been tier1 for as long as modern exists
>>
>>44507496
I don't know. It means you can tech Nicol Bolas into Tron, for one thing.
>>
>>44507840
If twin gets axed, interaction will go away entirely in modern.
>>
>>44507840
the T2 titans (which result in T3 wins) are so exaggerated. You literally need fucking 4 cards on your opening hand / draw into to make it work
>>
>>44507791
Shipping is one of the biggest factors, along with the fact that fakes are getting better and better. I have online traded once in private forums and that was enough for me.
>>
>>44507866
Look Mom, I'm exaggerating!
>>
>>44507869
You know in a game of magic you start out with 7 cards in hand, right? That's like 3 more than what you need to win. Wtf are you smoking
>>
>>44507415
>WotC doesnt like tier1 decks that often win turn 3
So infect, affinity and Karn will be ban'd ?
>>
>>44507927
Twin keeps linear decks meta share in check. The main limiting factor on what a hyper linear deck can do is constrained by the possibility of turn 4 twin.

Without twin, what in the world is going to stop them? Jund? Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>44507933
Ah I forgot how you always have 4 of the cards you need in your opening hand.
>>
>>44507933
Run the odds of how often you have amulet, bounce land, titan, and summer bloom and another non-bounce land to play amulet are in your opening 7

Then kill yourself
>>
>>44507936
infect is on and off with being tier1 and I'd say is much easier to interact with than bloom

T3 karn is not a T3 win even though it's close

>>44507967
opening 8, really. Plus you can mulligan
>>
>>44507771
>dat playmat
>>
>>44507598
Time to address a common misconception: playing basic lands doesn't mean you have a non-greedy mana base. Not playing color intensive spells does.
>>
>>44508059
this.
Twin, Burn and Affinity all have Blood Moon in side/mainboard, and neither of them play only basic lands...
>>
>>44508059
>don't play color intensive spells
so you're saying play bad cards instead of good ones? You'll still lose to the blood moon player then because his average card is better than yours.

I'm curious what your idea of a non-greedy manabase looks like.
>>
>>44507840
I can win turn 3 with robots
>>
>>44508105
If you're expecting to cast abrupt decay, terminate, liliana and kitchen finks all in the same deck your mana base will be greedy.

I run grixis delver: all of my spells have a single color requirement, i only need an island and a swamp to cast most of my spells. I can fetch a dual for red because blood moon does nothing for that
>>
>>44507995
>much easier to interact with than bloom

>terminate titan
>pte titan
>counter bloom
>destroy amulet
>discard

Whatever; it won't change the meta and the frustration to lose against a "flash exarch, tap this, my turn ? twin ? resolves ? ..."
>>
>>44508105
>so you're saying play bad cards instead of good ones

although you're being a strawmanny little bitch, this is kind of the point yeah

You can't just go full retard 4c goodstuff unless you also have a way to deal with blood moon. Imagine you're brewing a 2color deck but might want to splash for sideboard cards. If you do you will also have to need a way to deal with blood moon. It adds a level of depth to deckbuilding further than "just play morest goodest cards"
>>
>>44508195
>terminate titan
>pte titan
work on twin as well, with the difference that a resolved titan immediately sets them up for the next one by getting Tolaria West from the etb trigger

>counter bloom
Not every deck plays blue, most have to rely on removal, in which case see above

>destroy amulet
Not mainboard, whilst creature removal always is. Also not all colors get it

>discard
works on twin as well
>>
>>44508160
Im sure your mom is very proud of you
>>
>>44508192
And if you don't play those cards, then you need to be playing something incredibly linear and non-interactive to succeed. You're basically saying "fuck interaction". Try playing any kind of interactive deck without those cards. Its atrocious.

>>44508192
>I run grixis delver
So you play a bad deck?

>>44508208
see, my issue with this is if you just play a 2 color deck, you don't have the card quality necessary to try and play an interactive game plan. 1-2 color decks are just for combo/aggro decks that don't need a lot of stuff. Anything else needs to play a lot of colors to cover up your weaknesses.
>>
>>44508310
The most interactive tier1 deck in modern is 2 colors
>>
>>44508374
An "I win the game" button that slots perfectly in your deck does a lot to help with that.

Or are you just trying to subtly say if you aren't trying to kill on turn 2-3 you should just play Twin instead? That doesn't do a lot to dissuade the common belief that modern is a largely non-interactive format
>>
>>44508261
a resolved but killed titan is not a thing : you have to pay the pact if you did'nt play the titan from your starting hand.

Every colors can handle the pieces of the "combo".

Twin can counter the removals with dispel, negate, snare...
>>
>>44508427
>complete and utter strawman again
stop replying to things nobody said

Twin having an I-win button does not refute that it's one of the most interactive decks in modern right now. Your statement that you need 3 colors to interact is bullshit

And even if it was true it still doens't refute what I'm saying: you're making a 2C deck but you have a weakness to X so you could fix that by splashing a color but then you get a BM weakness. Deciding which one is more valuable takes deck building skills
>>
>>44508516
People who are smarter than you and more successful in magic disagree. I wonder whose opinion I should take more seriously, yours or theirs?

>And even if it was true it still doens't refute what I'm saying: you're making a 2C deck but you have a weakness to X so you could fix that by splashing a color but then you get a BM weakness. Deciding which one is more valuable takes deck building skills

So, given the choice between a 2c interactive deck that can't beat linear decks or interactive decks because of bad card quality, or an extremely linear deck that can beat anything in the format by turn 3, which should I choose. Hmmmmm. Maybe if I played another color, but then I lose to blood moon. Guess I should just not bother interacting with my opponent then.
>>
>>44507866
Implying affinity vs jund isn't interactive.
Implying Grixis vs Merfolk isn't interactive.
Implying Burn in general isn't interactive.
>>
>>44508468
Yes Twin is a good deck, arguably the best deck

However every deck has SOME way to interact with it mainboard, which is not the case for amulet

>resolved titan immediately reloads for the second one, even if this requires paying pact mana
>requires your shields to be up as early as turn 2 or you risk instantly losing, twin gives you an extra turn
>works with lands which are tough to interact with in modern
>tons of tutoring for a toolbox of stuff you might need for a certain situation like Cavern of Souls, lifegain, chump blockers, wraths

I'm not arguing that titan is better than twin because it isn't, but the fact that turn3 wins aren't that uncommon and that many decks just have no proper way of dealing with it makes me expect ta tthere will be a ban soon
>>
ITT people don't know what interactive means
>>
>>44508615
why are you makign up all these fairytale arguments I never made if you can just quote some pro to do the talking for you?

and if that is the deck design choice that you make then so be it, I can't say if it's the correct one in this hypothetical scenario though
>>
>>44508651
Jund would be unplayable with twin gone.

>>44508694
That includes you.
>>
>>44507866

i dont understand this opinion at all

every single game of modern ive ever played or watched had lots and lots of creatures getting lightning bolted, permanents getting abrupt decayed, spells getting mana leaked, artifacts getting kolaghan's commanded, cards getting thoughtsiezed, etc etc etc

what more do you want?
>>
>>44508742
do you live in some kind of ivory tower

my meta is zoo vs. tron and that's it
>>
>>44508742
I WANNA PLAY TWIN

PLEASE DONT REMOVE TWIN

ITS FAIR I PROMISE

IT HOLDS UP MODERN ITS CRITICAL TO THE BALANCE OF THE WHOLE FORMAT SKILL INTENSIVE HIGH RISK HIGH REWARD MY INTERACTION PLEASE BAN EVERYTHING ELSE THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!
>>
/tg/ really is bad at magic
>>
>>44508820
>I lost the argument time to pretend I'm somebody else
>>
>>44508310
>if I can't run a greedy mana base I can't have fun

That's fine, just stop acting like it's the worlds fault that you lose to blood moon. A less greedy Jund build would focus on one color, like being base black. If you can't cast your spells reliably without running all dual lands, or at least cast them off a basic, your manabase is bad. This is fine, but that's your decks weakness. Its ok for other decks to exploit this.

A less greedy jund wouldn't run double green spells, would cut the mana intensive spells for the less powerful ones which are less hard on the mana. Ultimate price instead of terminate and stuff like that.
>>
>>44508615
BUZZWORDS!
>>
File: 1406311362119.png (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1406311362119.png
65 KB, 640x480
>>44508858
>Ultimate price instead of terminate
>>
>>44508919
>I don't want to play a weaker card when there's a stronger card available

Playing more color intensive spells has a cost
>>
>>44508858
Jund only (most of the time) loses to blood moon when you don't expect it. It's super easy to fetch around it for your first few turns, then just abrupt decay it when they windmill slam their free win enchantment.
>>
File: wefdwef.png (127 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
wefdwef.png
127 KB, 223x311
So people ITT are talking about banning twin. How bad would it be if they banned just exarch, effectively making them run bounding krasis?
>>
>>44508970
Ultimate Price is unplayable even in monoblackremovalspells.dec
>>
>>44509010
Would make the deck a lot weaker as their combo now dies to bolt, but also locks them into RUG which I dont plike compared to all the variants we have right now

Twin doesn't really need to be banned but honestly I'd be happy to see it go because Im just tired of it. Ban Splinter Twin so they're forced to play Kiki, maybe UWR twin makes a return
>>
>>44508982
The problem is that sometimes you'll fetch swamp forest, then draw overgrown tomb and be stuck with red cards in hand. It is easy to play around, but if you don't want to play around it you can build around it. Is the "ban bm" argument just /tg/ being bad at magic?
>>
>>44509010
They'd have to switch to RUG twin, which is like $1700
>>
>>44509024
Then go for the throat. Argument remains unchanged
>>
>>44509057
People are already playing UWR twin again.
>>
>>44509091
To succes? I haven't paid much attention to the meta lately since Im busy with other stuff
>>
>>44509128
Won an open not too long ago. It's been topping ever since.
>>
>>44509128
jeskai twin won a gp

white has some gr8 sb cards m8
>>
so in response to lili's -2, i can activate a blinkmoth just to sac it right?
>>
>>44509010
Pestermite exists
>>
>>44509060
Blood moon in particular makes people upset. Twin in particular makes people upset because it can top deck wins when it doesn't deserve to win. People hate it for those reasons usually. And yeah there are cards I want banned just because they upset me but I'm not vocal about it (except inkmoth nexus fuck you inkmoth nexus)
>>
>>44509159
You can, but that's what they want you to do, since Jund can't hit those with Abrupt Decay.
>>
>>44509171
Well yeah, I was just wondering if I could. I figured I could but I double check any rules now desu
>>
>>44509057
That's the idea, making their combo die to bolt. They'd have to play more carefully. People's main complaint against the deck is >>44508195
"flash exarch, tap this, my turn ? twin ? resolves ? ..."
>>
>>44509164
So? Most people run about 6 combo pieces for twin. I've seen some "all out combo" variants run the full 4x mite 4x exarch.
>>
>>44509169
I think people hate twin because it defines the format and people like to believe that any deck can be tier 1, even though that's not true.

Is inkmoth just because you lose to it?
>>
>>44509252
>Is inkmoth just because you lose to it?
Yes, sort of. I dislike both the decks its big in, infect and affinity, with a passion. Its totally opinionated but they irritate me to no end.
>>
File: UWRtwin.png (11 KB, 284x499) Image search: [Google]
UWRtwin.png
11 KB, 284x499
>>44509155
>>44509152
That's pretty sick. I used to jam this at my FNM but lately without much succes so I've been playing merfolk and esper control
>>
When does modern season begin? Is there usually an announcement for it?
>>
>>44509060
>Is the "ban bm" argument just /tg/ being bad at magic?
Yes.
>>
>>44509309
don't you play Jund? Your infect matchup is supposed to be p good for you.
>>
>>44509593
It is, I've only ever lost to the deck one or twice. But God do I hate playing against it. It's just not fun
>>
>>44509593
To be fair, inkmoth is the hardest card for jund to deal with>>44509593
>>
As an infect player, yeah Jund is pretty tough especially game 1 because it has so much disruption, but if you can get an infecter to stick you can snatch a quick victory, especially if they don't have turn 3 Lili
Affinity is still my worst matchup though
>>
File: Me-irl.jpg (20 KB, 402x251) Image search: [Google]
Me-irl.jpg
20 KB, 402x251
>>44509678
True. The times I've accidentally terminated a creature while having an abrupt decay in hand against inkmoth were traumatizing.
>>
>>44509724
as an affinity player, it's kind of funny to me when I can drop a t2 etched champion, and the glistener elf is struck there doing nothing. Blighted agent is a problem though. But I can usually outrace blighted agent unless you get the t2 agent, t3 become immense nut draw.
>>
>>44507771
Jaces? Do I bite the bullet or wait?
>>
>>44509848
literally the only way to win against affinity for me is to pray to fucking christ that you drew a shitty hand and that i drew like a turn 1 hierarch and a bunch of fetches to get a blighted agent become immense and a mutagenic growth win on turn 3. after board it gets a bit better because i've been splashing in white but seriously it's hard as shit.
>>
>>44509861
He might go down after rotation, but keep in mind that Thoughtsieze hasn't.
>>
>>44509974
but Thoughtseize is a modern staple, jace doesnt get played nearly as often
>>
>>44509861
Probably gonna have to pick this one up while hes still cheap(ish).

Come next season though expect him to rise to infinity+1 dollars.

You're seeing a new Goyf in the making.
>>
>>44509993
not just a modern staple, but highly played in legacy too. pick out their force of will? Yes please.
>>
>>44509337
3 kikis? That's a bit much imo
>>
>>44510066
Its at 3% metashare in the last 2 months in legacy, and at 4,1% in modern its nowhere near a staple
>>
>>44510032
Fuck. It's close to $90 here in Canada.
>>
>>44510142

>thoughtsieze isnt a modern staple

well fuck me, what even is a modern staple now? is it just abrupt decay and nothing else?
>>
>>44510220
Tarmogoyf, Snapcaster, Bolt
>>
>>44510220
uh we are misundersanting each other. I was talking about jace and didnt realize you were replying to the thoughtseize part
>>
>>44510142
Its always going to be playable. Shardless bug and deathblade want it
>>
File: Grixis Playmat.jpg (799 KB, 3252x1968) Image search: [Google]
Grixis Playmat.jpg
799 KB, 3252x1968
>>44508020
>>
>>44510066
>not just a modern staple
I hardly think baby jace can be called a modern staple, the only decks that use him best are the ever tier sinking (outside of Twin) Grixis decks.
>>
>>44510390
see >>44510242
That anon was saying thoughtsieze is a modern staple.
>>
What's a good playmat? I haven't been to any events and I don't want to look like a loser with a mat from an event I didn't go to
>>
>>44510505
Who cares no one is going to grill you on what events you've been to
>>
>>44510717
they will though since they know I haven't gone to any
>>
>>44510791
then just get a normal playmat and not a GP/Gameday one?
>>
>>44510505
I just use a Kruphix ultrapro one. I've never heard people talk about playmats at the LGS besides "nice playmat" or "I love that character" if its non-mtg. I have a competitive lgs too so it's not like people don't have them.
>>
>>44510791
Just pick one for the art you like and then say "i like the art"
easy.
I have a crucible of worlds playmat but i didnt participate in the event.
>>
>>44510801
I've borrowed some people's and they're really nice which is why I wanted a similar one
>>44510843
that can work i suppose, it's just that a lot of the players I play with probably DID go to the event
>>44510807
could work too
>>
>>44510505
These 2 new playmats I have my eye on are pretty good.

John Avon Faraway Island
http://i.imgur.com/Zn4PC9K.jpg
Ultra Pro Emeria Shepard
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Pro-Magic-Battle-for-Zendikar-playmat-Emeria-Shepard-v3-86292-/111775551492

They are both on their way so I can't actually tell you if they are well made but ultra pro is pretty much the standard for good playmats, as opposed to their sleeves. The reverse is true for Dragonshield.
>>
>>44510866
Faraway Island one is killer, link me that nigga
>>
>>44510855
I doubt anyone will care desu. And if they do they're massive autists who probably use the word poser unironically.

>>44510897
Yeah this
>>
>>44510917
>>44510897
for eurofags
https://www.magickartenmarkt.de/Products/Playmats/John+Avon+Art%3A+Farway+Island+Playmat
>>
>>44510505
Nobody gives a shit which events you've attended.

My advice? Find yourself some high resolution art that you find appealing and just have it used to print a custom playmat.

http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-playmat

If someone compliments you on your mat, then just say thanks. If you're feeling adventurous, then compliment them in return. No reason to lose your spaghetti.
>>
Scalding Tarn buyout.

Act fast.
Act fast.
Act fast.
>>
File: 1445110439515.jpg (146 KB, 578x737) Image search: [Google]
1445110439515.jpg
146 KB, 578x737
>>44511080
Again? This is fucking hilarious
>120 and rising
>>
>>44511080
jfc stop
who the fuck bought out scalding tarn
and i was reluctant to buy them at 80
glad i sold mine last time they were 100
>>
>>44511080
what cunt keeps doing this shit? I'm almost convinced it's a singular person at this point
>>
>>44508820
I go to Reddit to check up on spoilers and /tg/ is a lot better than that wretched place.
>>
>>44511272
>better than reddit
That's not exactly a high bar that you're setting there.
>>
I have all of affinity in seperate pieces, including opals and glimmervoid, except Arcbound Ravager. Do you think that's good enough for FNM level play? I'm using 2 spellskites, a fourth etched champion (i'd be running 3), and 3rd steel overseer in it's place.
Or should I just say fuck it and run stompy or some other poorfag deck?
I just don't want to shill $200 for a playset of a single card.
>>
>>44510505
On a side note, if I turn up to a GP with card sleeves of an anime girl, and a playmat of said girl, what would peoples reactions be?
At Fnms it makes people mad
>>
>>44511732
kek are you speaking from experience?
>>
>>44511751
Yes, the group I play with is very anti-weeb
>>
>>44511732
Are you a greasy autist?

If not, literally no one would care.
>>
>>44511767
one of the guys at my group used to wear gaudy contact lenses to be edgy but apart from that it's all weirdos or middle aged nerds
>>
>>44511772
What if all my basic lands were alters with said girl
>>
>>44511864
You must really love your waifu then.
>>
>>44511864
If it changes the art you cant play at a GP
>>
>>44511864
post pics so we can r8 your waifu
besides my wallet already has my waifu on it
>>
File: images.jpg (28 KB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
28 KB, 471x312
>>44511881
And I will forever
>>
>>44511918
Does that VN get better? I started it and it seemed pretty boring, and twintails there was the only interesting one
>>
File: 1395685586722.png (375 KB, 752x588) Image search: [Google]
1395685586722.png
375 KB, 752x588
>>44511918
>twintails
>fang
>bracelet
>pack of some kind

Good taste anon
>>
>>44511974
It gets a lot better, depending on the route you choose
Its very much similar to Katawa Shoujo but more emotional, I recommend twintail route or Yumiko route. Amane and Sachi routes arent too bad, and I cant tolerate makina long enough to do her route
>>
>>44512018
Thanks anon, I'll try it again tomorrow now that I can use my steam controller instead of a KB/M.
>>
File: Great....jpg (162 KB, 963x864) Image search: [Google]
Great....jpg
162 KB, 963x864
>>
>>44512063
Bear in mind it doesnt finish there, and there is no "correct" ending. Itll seem an entirely unfinished VN unless you can read Japanese and the sequels
The untranslated sequels have a harem ending
>>
>>44512118
oh wonderfullll

>>44512086
and this used to be a safe time for modern cards
>>
>>44512086
This is getting fucking ridiculous. Is there any way to fight this price gouging?
>>
>>44512239
Buy your staples now. It has always been the trick.
>>
>>44512142
They are being translated though. Just not done yet
>>44512239
If wizards were smart, they would properly reprint a lot of legacy and modern staples at 20 dollars a booster. They would make a lot of money, and piss off a total of about 10 people
>>
>>44512006
Michiru Matsushima, pseudo-tsundere that is literally the biggest pushover of a qt ever
>>
>>44511910
on basic lands you can get away with pretty much anything if the art matches the color of the land
>>
>>44506560

I have a Gruul Zoo. Just got into the game, so I have <3,000 cards. Vast majority (by sheer chance + trend) were Gruul. That's why I built around it.

It's not *the best*, but I seldom lose locally with it. One friend and I play a few games every night after work. He has seven decks, and I only have my one. So far we've probably played somewhere around 100 games (3 - 4 games a night for 4+ months on work days) and I have only lost twice.

The first time I lost I was manatapped. Had an astonishing three lands. Still put up somewhat of a decent fight. After that, I adjusted and reassessed what I needed and what I wanted.

Next time I lost I was only pulling out low-end shit. Simple fuck up with shuffling. All the good cards sat at the bottom, so I couldn't do shit. Got absolutely raped.

Played against other guys at work. They like it. Say I should enter local tournaments but meh. I'd rather build my skill and refine my cards more first.
>>
>>44512733

>only lost twice in 100 games

dude i call bullshit

why would your friend continue to get dominated every night, and not build at least 1 deck out of 7 to stand a chance?

you must be a dirty liar

like maybe your deck is good in real life, but i dont believe you have a friend who is that stupid and bad at the game
>>
>>44511910
confirmed for autist. only name and text box must be legible, art alters are at judge's decision. feyg
>>
>>44512972

>didnt know an obscure rule correctly
>must be an autist

only on 4chan
>>
>>44512988
u kno it bby. but for real its pretty standard high level tournament knowledge. you dont fuck with foils or alters or shtty sleeves by then cause any posible infraction is pantsshittingly annoying
>>
>>44512972
http://wiki.magicjudges.org/en/w/Card_Alteration

>When your event is run at Competitive REL, more care is required. As the focus shifts to more competitive play, we care that the card is easier to discern. Misleading art modifications shouldn't be allowed at the event.

So it is up to judges but ur super cyoote yaoi anime alters aren't allowed
>>
>>44513089
yeah and they have some weird semi guidelines like the cards cant give you hints or play information and yeah, must be discernible. subtle alters and art extensions that maintain text are the best options imo
>>
>>44513089
i guess he could use them if it wasnt intrusive but he couldnt play in camera
>>
>>44513161
yeah extensions are the best if you want to take them to competitive play often

>>44513184
Yeah, they specifically say
>At Professional REL events, modifications should be low level. WotC is very proud of Magic and of the art and artists it selects. Cards shown on video coverage should show this art, and it should also be obvious to viewers which card is being shown, with a single glance.
>>
>>44513089
The rule as it as written is not how it is enforced. If you have a basic forest that has weird art, they are not going to care. If you have a trinket mage that looks like a bob, that's clearly cheating. Think about the spirit of the law, not the letter of it.
>>
>>44513231
Well yeah at like regular REL its fine, but if they cant recognise the card as what it is would result in something like
>f the art alteration makes the card too hard to recognize in your opinion, don't let that keep the player from playing in the event, but instead use an educational approach to prevent the player from bringing the same card again to the next event, and tell him to make sure his opponents are very aware of what card he's playing when he plays it.
>>
50$ spellskite buyout when?
>>
>>44513231
if the alter on the forest causes them to believe it is some other type of land or card then yes it is problematic. there was an issue with old german forests that ppl played, cant remember the edotion, they had plains or plains-like art and thus became banned to play w due to tricking ppl
>>
>>44513297
Basics are all I get altered, no one really cares about those. The pro tour and GPs are all about marketing, so they don't want you bringing alters of your Jace's or rhinos. The art on alters is supposed to look like the original art, so you get to do the most with basic lands.
>>
>>44513336
If you do them full art, i leave the big ass tree on the bottom so that people know its a forest. But yeah, getting a bunch of volcanoes on your plains is going to make you look like a tool
>>
File: 5415.jpg (44 KB, 492x642) Image search: [Google]
5415.jpg
44 KB, 492x642
>>44510505
>Looking like a loser without a playmat from an event
>Wanting to display your power level before the match even begins
>>
>>44513495
;_; i know
>>
>>44513419
yeah but the sitches with those forests was a mispint of the art so they jad the same art as a plains in the set. mjx that with being german language and you have problems
>>
>>44511272
Just so far today, I've seen /tg/ need priority, the stack, and casting something in response to something else all explained to them at a second grade reading level.

/tg/ is awful at Magic. (But they're still better than Reddit.)
>>
>>44511193
the dude offering 38k for someone to use seance got mad nobody took up his offer so now he's trying to ruin modern
>>
>>44514181
i thought somebody actually did take that offer
>>
>>44514206
He backed out because it was a ruse
>>
>>44514082
>yfw I accidentally baited out bad players by saying that the new man land was a shit card.

Not that it isn't a shit card, but boy were these retards showing their lack of experience.
>>
>>44511080
>Buying out Scalding Tarn

I don't have that kind of money.

Oh well, I'll just stay away from Izzet colors until a Scalding Tarn reprint happens.
>>
scalding tarn buyout? Fucking seriously? I was just about to take the plunge into modern with grixis control. I even spent the past few days playing with a proxy list to make sure I liked it and I did and now shits getting fucked up. I guess I better buy my snapcasters before they buy those out too
>>
File: 104734[1].jpg (26 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
104734[1].jpg
26 KB, 200x285
Would it be good or bad to speculate on this card now?

Sitting at under $1
>>
>>44514472
Card only gets better with time.

But that time can take a while. Look at Glittering Wish.

Depends how cheap you can get them and how much you trust its power.
>>
>>44511732
I've heard of people doing this sort of thing for the distraction value.
>>
>>44512086
Tarn over 110? Goddamn am I happy I picked mine up when I did.
>>
>>44512086
What site is this?
>>
>>44513219
The GP is competitive REL until the second day, im not likely to make it to the second day playing Elves anyway, plus other players are far better than me
>>44512847
Honestly if hes playing Zoo vs some casual shitbrew decks, I wouldn't be surprised
My Gw Enduring Scalelord combo deck has noteriety in my group for being able to beat you down in 4-5 turns, I rarely lose with it despite it being complete and utter dogshit
I dont think ive ever lost with Elves, except when I play against actual modern decks
>>
>>44514769
Mtggoldfish.com

Movers.
>>
>>44511080
>>44511171
Still at $85 on coolstuff if you need them
>>
File: 1445637470230.jpg (100 KB, 458x750) Image search: [Google]
1445637470230.jpg
100 KB, 458x750
NEW MODERN MASTERS WHEN?
>>
anyone /g/ here? could I run modo through something like winebox on my work computer or is it completely out of the question?
>>
>>44514908
2017 probably.
>>
anyone else on that grixis delver hype train?
>>
>>44515369
Is Grixis Twin a thing again? That's cool I might start playing it again then
>>
>>44515210
On OSX I use Parallels; my linux machine, however, was far too feeble for me to even think about trying to run MODO on it.

You could, of course, simply try.
>>
What does fish do against Burn? They race so goddamn fast it hurts. I always feel like I'm a turn behind too slow.
>>
>>44515369
Why not just play grixis twin?
>>
What is this Eldrazi modern deck I've been hearing about lately?
>>
>>44515387
I'm about to break down and just build Grixis Twin since everyone new in my meta is just playing Tron.
It's fucking impossible to top with Jund now since I get paired with Tron 2-3 times a night.
>>
>>44515533
Er, I meant Grixis Delver but I'm tired. Also that super sucks, worst part is is that not even Twin is favored over tron anymore. I feel bad for any meta with more than one Tron deck.
>>
>>44515533

what makes grixis twin better against tron than jund?
>>
>>44515626
I just wanna play Grixis since I have all the expensive black cards already, and I want to use my Jaces in something.
Twin is better against Tron than Jund since it can win before they shove Karn, Wurmcoil, and Ugin up your ass.
>>
How should I adjust my landbase to splash in white in infect? And by splash I mean I'm running 4 white cards in sideboard (2 leyline 2 stony) for some basic but tough matchups
I have 8 fetches, 1 arbor, 2 forest, 3 pool, 2 haven, and the 4 nexuses. I was thinking go with 2 pool 1 garden and then a garden instead of something else or just try it with 1 garden and rely on the hierarch for white.
>>
>>44515529
Bad Tron.
It just uses 4x Eldrazi temple 3-4x Eye of ugin to "ramp" into big eldrazis, throw in some black and urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, splash another color and you have a deck. It became "relevant" in these threads because some sperg did a buyout on Eye of Ugin making it look like the deck was a real deal but it isn't, at least not for now, once some pros start brewing with it and we get the full set for Oath we'll see what the deck is really capable of.
>>
>>44515533
If the meta is that heavy tron just build even a bootleg infect and go to town.
>>
So how do I make this pile better? Was thinking of going down to 2 thought scours and adding another soulflayer target, preferably with indestructible.
>>
>>44516048
durr

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/soulflayer-pile/
>>
>>44516048
Gifts packages make every yard strategy better.

1x noxious revival
1x unburial rites
1x some other creature
4x gifts ungiven
>>
>>44516064
idk do a gifts thing or do a dredge thing mate
>>
What is considered a good matchup against tron? I play affinity and I feel like I don't have mouch trouble against them. As long as they don't draw more than one pyroclasm that is. Though i like to drop a ensoul artifact on a flyer just to fuck with them.
>>
File: betterspreadem.jpg (929 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
betterspreadem.jpg
929 KB, 1280x960
>>44516224
Infect, Burn, Twin, and Affinity are all good against Tron. Merfolk is decent too.

Tron just kills any "fair" Aggro, Midrange, or Control strategy though. You better be able to kill T3 or pack a combo if you want to beat Tron.
>>
>>44516224
Most aggro, burn, combos like grishoalbrand and bloom, twin's okay. Tron eats midrange because instead of casting a 3 drop on turn three they're playing karn or wurmcoil engine.

Tron lands were a mistake. Posts were a bigger mistake.
>>
>>44506560
Currently playing Merfolk, was playing Naya Company and Jund, but it was getting extremely boring. One the biggest factors is that I can play with my favorite card, Silvergill Adept.

Shit looks pretty baller in German foil.
>>
>scalding tarn down to 87
>>
>>44516224
Anything that can run bloodmoons has a fair shot.
>>
>>44515298
OK THANKS SKELE
>>
why did silence go from 10$ to 6 like overnight? it still seems good
>>
>>44516610
see thats weird. I run R/G tron and blood moon, while annoying, never seems to be that much of a problem. Most people don't run it main and anything that can bring it in against me means I side in natures claim. plus even If I don't have NC, an O-stone takes care of the problem.
>>
>>44507274
No,this has absolutely nothing to do with timestamps
>>
What does UR twin do against slaughter games? Side in kiki and cross its fingers?
>>
>>44513161
Doesn't Craig Wescoe have something written on his Phyrexian Revokers?
>>
>>44517006
Side out the combo and beat you anyway.
>>
>>44515298
I can't wait for Liliana of the Veil to not get reprinted again.
>>
>>44506560
Got my Merfolk finished. Merrow Reejerey is a pretty fun card.
>>
>>44517109
So, play tarmotwin.
>>
>imagine a world where modern starts with 10th edition
>no blood moon
>no weird super specific color hosers
>no tron
>no ensnaring bridge
>>
>>44517251
Don't u say that
>>
>>44517315
I believe that's called "fairies: the format"
>>
>>44515791
Replace a breeding pool with a GW shock
>>
>>44517085
Its ok as long as it's not very specific matchup advice. Some guy I keep seeing ran brainstorm that said "remember the lessons of pt Honolulu"
>>
>>44517305
Ofcourse. Tarmogoyf is the best blue creature after all.
>>
>>44517478
He's trying to run a double white card, i think that calls for a heavy splash
>>
I honestly don't get the hate for blood moon. It's like calling sweepers broken if you over-commit creatures to the board every game.
>>
>>44517536
Exactly. And /tg/ sucks at magic. Therefore...
>>
>>44517536
The thing is that you can't not "overextend" when playing a big mana deck (Tron can fetch a Forest, still needs to draw Nature's Claim or stay alive until hardcast O-Stone) and sniping free wins because you happened to draw your side card while the other guy didn't is boring.
>>
>>44507719
The threat of the combo though. Very oppressive.
>>
>>44517863
That's no different than dredge folding to graveyard hate.
>>
>>44510372
My african wizard.
(inked gaming ?)
>>
>>44517863
Isn't this the difference between fair and unfair decks? If you're all-in on a particular strategy, every so often someone's going to have the answer to that strategy and you cannot win. The tradeoff is all the wins taken by dominating with the strategy when it works. Since RG tron and bloomtitan aim to dominate by turn 3 it's a coin flip.
>>
>>44519119

>Isn't this the difference between fair and unfair decks?

That's not what the difference between a "fair" and "unfair" deck is. Fair decks try to win within the rules of MTG, unfair decks play cards that circumvent or break the rules of MTG and allow you to win in other ways. e.g Jund is a "fair" deck while a deck like Ad Nauseam is an "unfair" deck(can win on on 0 or less life and doesn't lose the game on that turn)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.