[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to run a game set during the Three Kingdoms period but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
I want to run a game set during the Three Kingdoms period but i am not sure what system to use. I have been told Exalted would be the best but would that mean all the players would have to be solar?

I was also thinking about Legends of The Wu Lin but i am not sure it how it handles mass combat, any suggestions would really help me out.
>>
>>44502091
GURPS
>>
Make your own apocalypse world hack
>>
>>44502091
Exalted is a bit of a bad choice at the moment, since the new edition is the first to be not complete trash, but at present the choices for characters are Solars and dirty peasant mortals.

LotW handles mass combat in a weird way: a group of people is statted out as a single character, and given a rank similar to the rank used for PCs. Of the two, I'd suggest LotW.

GURPS might work, but it puts a lot on the GM to look through splats for the rules they want to use, so it might not be best if you're new to the system. Other generic systems tend to be a bit lighter on rules, but that may be a selling point.
>>
>>44502155
i will have a look into that system thanks
>>
>>44502212
i will have a look at doing it with LotW then GURPS may be a bit to much of a slog for me
>>
>>44502091
If you're looking to run it like straight-up Dynasty Warriors then LotW can do it. Named characters with unique models are full-blown regular statted characters. Generic lieutenant-type guys are Lesser Legends. The swarms of rank-and-file soldiers are Minions.
>>
LotW is trash tho.

You can't be a big armored dude like that one guy in DW without being hit with penalties, combat is fucking slow as fuck with how the damage system works it's one big pingfest until you can bruteforce more than one ping and the actual wounding system/ general status effect while flexible in fluffing is really mechanically boring. You'll be simple modifiers to energy regen rolls (breathing) or to general rolls. There's other effects but they're PC centered and thus only the GM will use them.

Then there is utter lack of support for making your Internals aka Kung Fu magic which is pertinent since it's one half of your fighting ability but also is something that allows you to further customize your dude.

Have you tried Qin?
>>
>>44502827
>Then there is utter lack of support for making your Internals aka Kung Fu magic
What?
>>
>>44502091
>nostalgia from Nintendo days playing romance of the three kingdoms
>>
I ran one in Fantasycraft, worked out real well.
Doesn't require any additional rules at all.
Works for both Dynasty Warriors style play, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms (the show) style; or anything in between just using different campaign qualities. Not many classes that aren't easily fluffed either.
>>
>>44502827

You haven't played LotW. If you have, you're amazingly incompetent.

You're right that the core rules don't really support heavy armour being a good option. It's a fair point, and reducing the penalties for wearing it can make sense in some games. Then again? While armour can be ignored by too many things (IMO), it still provides you a huge amount of defence against the most common kinds of direct physical attack.

The combat system is complex, but it's only slow at first. After you get past the (admittedly steep) learning curve, it's an elegant and involved system which does high action cinematic combat better than any other RPG I've seen. It'll put off people who prefer more rules light games like the various *world systems, but for people who enjoy mechanical meat there's plenty to play with, all put together in an interesting and thematic way.

Meanwhile, there's a guide to making your own Internals in the back of the book, with plenty of examples and already made systems on the Wulin Legends wiki being there to use for inspiration or to make use of if you wish.

LotW is not a perfect system, but your post really didn't touch on any of the major issues. The worst mechanical imbalance in core is Heaven's Lightning being too good and Elemental Chi being too efficient, while the biggest issue overall is the dogshit quality editing which makes it significantly harder to get into than it should be.
>>
File: 3kingdomsHY.webm (3 MB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
3kingdomsHY.webm
3 MB, 720x400
>>44502091
you have amazing taste, anon.

may all your campaigns be blessed by heaven!
>>
Have you had a look at Qin, The Warring States?

I've never played it, but a friend of mine rates it as one of his favourite RPGs.
>>
File: guan yu ART.jpg (126 KB, 694x850) Image search: [Google]
guan yu ART.jpg
126 KB, 694x850
bump.

must have R3K on /tg/
>>
pAGE 10 BUMP!
>>
Brp or rq6 +celestial empire + martial arts +dragon lines?

Req empires should take care of your empire /mass combat needs.
>>
>>44503903
Buzzwords the post

Your system is garbage

There is no learning curve just poorly written trash on what amounts to glorified freeform.
>>
>>44503903
A good fix to elemental chi would be making it not an addition, but a replacement of "normal" chi gained with each breath.

Another problem with Wulin is Fire Sutra being trash (and, amusingly enough, a counter to heaven's lightning) but there is a semi-official fix from the author.

Overall, Wulin is more suited to smaller-scale campaigns, but it can do dynasty warriors without much stretching.

>>44509789
M8 are you even trying
>>
>>44509876
Wulin is trash.

quit shilling this crap game for a dead company
>>
>>44502091
L5R? I have not played it yet but it's set in not!Medieval Asia. Coudl probably be used for what you want with a few tweaks.

I like ASoIaF RP for semi-realistic medieval stuff. But it's set in !Europe.
>>
>>44504704
The problem with Qin is that you die way too easy to replicate the Three Kingdoms feel; it's a fairly realistic combat system and stuff like "running on water" and "deflecting arrows" is a high difficulty skill rather then something really easy to do.
Qin also doesn't support massive numbers of enemies fighting just one hero of amazing quality very well at all.
>>
>>44503812
OP here ,so does Fantasycraft handle mass combat well?? i really want the players to feel like they can stomp most common troops and then face off against Enemy generals in crazy duels
>>
>>44509789
Bait the post.

Your argument is garbage.

There's not even a real argument, just poorly written trash which amounts to glorified keyboard slapping.
>>
>>44509987
i was looking into L5R because it handles the honor system well and has a good solid 1v1 system but i am not sure how to implement the big battles
>>
>>44509987
Well, more like not!Medieval Japan on the mainland instead of on an island; L5R makes grand claims to being "not Japan", but the culture, language, society, belief system, monsters, terms of address (this one is important because it's unique to Japan), historical personages, deities, eating habits, clothing, belief system, government, caste system, and reasons for said caste system are all very obviously Japanese.

There are precisely four things about Rokugan that aren't Japanese-derived from the get-go, and AEG used the "not Asia" thing as an excuse when someone pointed out that they unironically named an entire family "the Otaku" and because they were shit at Japanese they didn't even realize what they were doing.
>>
>>44509987
As a huge L5R fan I'd recommend against that. The system is neck deep in its fantasy not-Japan and not super great for other cultural settings.
>>
>>44510129
"Honor" as L5R defines it is literally entirely based around Bushido.
Honor as the Three Kingdoms defines it is based off of more nebulous Chinese concepts such as Confucianism and Buddhism, along with a good helping of the Code of Xia in fiction.
>>
>>44510126
In the time it took you to post you could have learned a better system
>>
I want to crush these guys from Xi Liang that only know how to trample shit with their horses, every offensive, counter offensive, plan and fort they just... trample it. They just fucking charge everything with their horses, somehow it works
WHAT
DO?
>>
>>44510082

Have you tried ORE and the Reign game? There's a more setting agnostic version called Reign:Enchirodon which I can link if you wish
>>
>>44510251
if you could shoot me a link i would appreciate it.
>>
>>44510251
http://www.mediafire.com/view/67s40mjvmdnn3sl/ORE_Toolkit.pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ludrdepxjqnxx8/Reign+Enchiridion.pdf

I gave the tool kit link cuz you might need to homerule shit in to make it feel more DW in regards to mooks
>>
File: 8e4054f8.jpg (41 KB, 527x399) Image search: [Google]
8e4054f8.jpg
41 KB, 527x399
>>44510459
thanks a lot this looks really interesting
>>
>>44510236
have you tried crossbow gunlines from concealment?

it's what Sun Quan would do.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>44502091
why is the name included romance, i cant fucking understand the marketing ppl?
>>
>>44504683
disappoint due to no sound
>>
>>44502091
Do you want Romance of the Three Kingdoms(Dynasty Warriors) or Record of the Three Kingdoms(RTKXIII)
>>
>>44518492
Because Romance doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>44518533
I am looking to run Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I want the players to rise though the ranks of there chosen lord , I want to throw some kingdom/army management in too but nothing to grand.
>>
>>44519059
I don't really think any RPG is good at the Heroes wading through an ocean of mooks to get to their duel with the only other guy around who has a name. You'll most likely want something like GURPS or Riddle of Steel which has a lot of combat options in the 1v1 sphere but then hand-wave the mooks. Alternatively you could use GURPS and give all special people a few ranks of Altered Time Rate and large stat boost for free to simulate the difference between heroes and fodder.
>>
>>44504683
What is this and where can I watch it? Because it looks kind of amazing.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.