[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is, by GW's account, their biggest selling miniature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
This is, by GW's account, their biggest selling miniature lf the year.
Lying much?
>>
>>44501963
It is their biggest miniature....

But it was limited to 500, so in terms of quantity, it is a blatant lie.

source on their statement?
>>
>>44501963
I dunno, that miniature does look pretty big. And they are selling it.
>>
Citation needed.
>>
>>44502048
this desu senpai
>>
>>44502045
>but it was limited to 500.
Sauce on that? They are still producing and selling the model.....
>>
File: 1451539059788.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1451539059788.gif
1 MB, 640x360
>>44502045
>mfw Chinaman still sells it, and will continue to sell it
Feels great to have no pressure due to the "Limited Edition" buzzword
>>
I think it might be possible that their target audience really is collectors, and not gamers. It's just that the gamers tend to be more vocal than the collectors.
>>
File: 99811466017_Smaug01.jpg (83 KB, 920x950) Image search: [Google]
99811466017_Smaug01.jpg
83 KB, 920x950
big mini 4u
>>
>>44502099
initially it was limited to 500. it re-released recently.
>>
>That shitty Wyvern design
Why did Peter Jackson have to ruin everything? The older LotR dragon models that GW made had four legs and everything.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-01-19-35-33.png (639 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-01-19-35-33.png
639 KB, 1080x1920
>>44502045
OP here, here's the source.
>>
FYI Games workshop has retained the LOTR license.

Smaug sold a fuckton and will continue to sell a fuckton. The only reason it was "limited" to 500 was because that was the number they had in time for last Christmas. It was always going to be around for a while.
>>
>>44502507
Anon it's a play on words. He IS the biggest selling miniature. As in the largest figure they are selling.
>>
>>44502189
Because Wyverns are dragons, you dumbfuck. Wyvern originally a heraldry term for dragon from some country or another, and then Gary Gygax in all his his retardation decided that dragons were one thing and wyverns were another, and now scrubs like you shovel this shit down their throat without question and act like children because it doesn't have 4 legs like your fantasy novel books say.

Smaug's design is fine, you fucking neckbeard
>>
>>44502189
Because it looks better when animated, that's it.
More serpentine, less dog looking, if it had the morphology of lizards instead it would look goofy.

D&D dragonologists need to stop whining.
>>
>>44502189
muh realistic magic abomination created by super Satan in the darkest depths of the world from corrupted animals and beings breed over millennia.

>>44502585
Wyverns are shitty pathetic lesser dragons.
>>
>>44502585
>Bitching about fantasy novel books
>When this character is from a fantasy novel book.

>>44502590
>More serpentine
Should I post Tolkien's drawing of Smaug?

The first dragons in LoTR were basically hypnotic crocodiles, too.
>>
>>44501963
Lying way too much or applying more criteria on top of what we know.
Best selling may mean more things over most copies sold: most copies sold in a certain time frame, most copies sold in relation to price, most copies sold in stores or considering their online orders only, or a mix of these.

What we know is that Smaug did run out rapidly and had multiple reruns.
Plus we know that GW is not releasing the actual data on this and that the results may as well be biased towards what they want customers and resellers to believe of their products.
>>
I'm talking movements, good luck animating that dragon concept with the target of it having a good balance between realism and evocation.

Look, me too I'm a sucker for 4 legged dragons, but Smaug does look good and manages to hit the right spots, not having 2 more legs is not the big deal people make it to be.
>>
>>44502792
>>44502633
>>
>>44502792
If you want something easy to animate, you go for the larger and more impressive four legged one. My only point was that desiring Smaug to be serpentine, you can't go more serpentine than his original design without chopping off his limbs.

You don't get to decide what's a big deal for some people, anyway. Some people don't like wyverns.
>>
>>44502856
And I'm telling you that if they animated the dragon to be 4 legged its movements would be less serpentine, it's right there in their design notes.
4 legged dragons are not inherently more impressive, nor easier to animate, in fact animating a skeletal structure with 4 legs and 2 wings is intuitively more difficult than the 2 legs and 2 wings we have plenty of homologues for.

>there's no reason for it being a big deal apart my desire for it to be such.
And why, for grace, do dragons with only 2 wings and 2 legs, are to not be liked for the 4 legs + wings combination?
Since preferences have reasons too.
>>
>>44503247
That statement was referring to you saying Tolkien's Smaug would be hard to animate. Thus the comparison was between the classic "giant dinosaur with wings" and the "snake with legs and wings", not with the wyvern design.

>4 legged dragons are not inherently more impressive
Not looking like a scaly chicken is quite a bit more impressive.

>And why, for grace, do dragons with only 2 wings and 2 legs, are to not be liked for the 4 legs + wings combination?
Is this even English?
>>
>>44501963
GW has completed the lengthy transition from hobby/game house to soulless corporation. You can not trust them to be honest and forthright.
>>
>>44502585
>Gary Gygax in all his his retardation decided that dragons were one thing and wyverns were another
There was actually nothing "retarded" about that, you ignorant shit. He wanted to stat a bunch of different varieties of dragon. Understandable, he didn't want to call them Dragon Type 1, Dragon Type 2, Dragon Type 3 etc. So he just used previously existing words for dragon. Makes perfect fucking sense.

Now, the people who complain about Smaug being a wyvern are complete idiots, since wyvern is literally just a synonym for dragon, but that doesn't excuse you being equally as stupid and loud mouthed as they are.
>>
>>44502584
>GW making puns and shit

No anon, that would make sense and be in line with what they've done in the past. No, the only explanation is that GW is a greedy Jew company that lies and cheats and doesn't know anything about anything.
>>
File: dragonheart-draco.png (581 KB, 850x361) Image search: [Google]
dragonheart-draco.png
581 KB, 850x361
>>44503872
>So instead of calling me "Dragon" in your tongue... you'll call me "Dragon" in some other tongue.
>>
File: F.png (252 KB, 969x563) Image search: [Google]
F.png
252 KB, 969x563
H-he will come back as a super figure like Archaon right?

right?
>>
>>44502137
How much does chinaman sell them for?

Been out of tabletop for a while but I always found the whole "chinese recasters being cheaper and better quality" thing great to see.
>>
>>44502584
Except they were doing a count down based on the amount of times that miniature sold, with Tactical marines being 2nd and skitarii third.
Note the wording: biggest-selling, not biggest selling.
They do say it's the biggest, but they claim this model is the one that sold the most. Mlre than tactical marines. Come on, I'm not trying to say they're doing EVUL, that's them just trying, and failing, to sell a model that sold terribly.
>>
>>44502144
>think it might be possible that their target audience really is collectors

Almost certainly for that model at least.
>>
>>44504971
I weep for the neckbeard that will try to find and play a game of Lotr or Hobbit AND play this model.
>>
>>44502151
>martin freeman mini

can we use this thing as a substitute for a bilbo model?
>>
>>44504906
$136. More than I would like to pay for a model, but still a fraction of the original price of $490.
>>
>>44504817
>plastic beastmen get rounded up as shit tier rabble in the armies of Chaos
>non-plastic beastmen get removed

Search your feelings, anon.
>>
>>44504906
They really aren't better quality it's pretty hit or miss depending on the model
>>
>>44504971
This. Don't know how many Smaug models there are, but I can't imagine the GW one is in the most expensive range, given the size.
>>
File: le skeptical policeman face.gif (756 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
le skeptical policeman face.gif
756 KB, 300x169
>>44504906
>Chinaman
>better quality
>>
>>44504638
This is pretty common in fantasy.
>>
File: 99811466017_Smaug06.jpg (136 KB, 920x950) Image search: [Google]
99811466017_Smaug06.jpg
136 KB, 920x950
>>44505009
I assume it's a separate piece, so sure, I guess.
>>
>>44502507
>Worth every penny
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>44505298
God those coins are so shit. Smaug doesn't have a goard of gold, he has a hard of gold painted ash trays made by children.
>>
>>44502189
That was cumberbatch's idea, not Jackson.
>>
>>44502718
>Plus we know that GW is not releasing the actual data on this and that the results may as well be biased towards what they want customers and resellers to believe of their products.
In other words, a lie.
>>
>>44505057
It's possible, because it's unlikely that other Smaug models had to be to scale.

It was a specific licencing requirement for GW's LotR licence that models (well, Smaug at least, I don't know about the Balrog or Mumak or anything else) had to be to scale with Bilbo.

Which explains why it took so long, and why it was done to scale after all.
>>
>>44501963
>we will never have Del Toro's Hobbit or Lord of the Ring films and models

Why live
>>
>>44502585

Wyvern was a heraldry term for dragon, yes, but it referred to a specific dragon design. Namely, two legs, wings, and a barbed tail. The name was used to distinguish it from another heraldic device- appropriately called a dragon- which is more similar to the widely known European dragon, complete with all four limbs and a pair of wings.

In other words, you got one small part right, but everything else wrong. Dumbfuck.

Pic related, heraldic wyvern.
>>
>>44501963
>big miniature
Has anyone ever played big miniature golf? There's far too much walking for me.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.