[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's even the point of this race? Everything dark eldars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: Hellions2.jpg (234 KB, 1252x876) Image search: [Google]
Hellions2.jpg
234 KB, 1252x876
What's even the point of this race? Everything dark eldars do Chaos does better they have no own gimmick, nothing that catches attention people hate on Tau but at least Tau have their own personality instead of being worse Slaanesh cult mixed with tamer Khorne one.
>>
>>44500549
>Worse Slaanesh

Anon, you don't read a lot of Dark Eldar lore, do you? Elder Dark Eldar fucking laugh at Slaaneshi Cults like they're children pretending to be edgy.
>>
>>44500549
>Everything dark eldars do Chaos does better
You're not playing tabletop, are you?
>>
>>44500594
DE are every bit as bad on the TT as CSM, probably even worse.
>>
chaos are psychos due to the chaos gods twisting your soul. i like D eldar because its just a culture of cruelty. even if they didnt need to feed off pain one would still twist the knife in your gut just to see the look in your eyes
>>
>>44500549

>that pic

Oh god I wish Hellions had usable rules, fucking hate GW some times.
>>
>>44500830
How would you fix Hellions if you could?
>>
>>44500549
Their point is being the best fuck off mon'keigh
>>
>>44500549
Dark Eldar are the only faction that is grimdark, but doesn't forget that 40k is supposed to be tongue-and-cheek about it. A lot of the crazy evil stuff they do is also hilarious in just how over-the-top and petty it is.

Unlike most of the other factions of the game, including Chaos, where the writers seem to have forgotten that 40k is supposed to have some humor accompany the grimdark. The Militarum Tempestus codex being the worst offender.
>>
>>44500549
GW made 40k to be fantasy in space, normal elves are there, they wanted dark elves too.

Factions are not about being completely different from one another, or half of them wouldn't be space marines.
>>
>>44502533
I've been out of the loop for a while. What's so bad about the Militarum Tempestus book? (Had to look up what the fuck that was)
>>
>>44500549
Most human interaction with Eldar is with these guys.
>>
>>44505321
It's like it was written by a 14-year-old that thinks 40k lore is supposed to be taken seriously. Every other page is dedicated to how serious and grimdark the Schola Progeniums are, retcons commissars into being so by-the-book-lawful into full stupidity (there's a story where a commissar and a squad of Catachan were sent to extract an Imperial governor from a warzone, discover that he's a heretic, and the commissar forces the Catachan to fight to the last man to defend the heretic governor because they were ordered to extract him, even though most commissars would probably execute him and take evidence of his heresy back to command as proof).

The grimdark wouldn't be so bad---after all, it IS the point of the setting---if the writing were more tongue-in-cheek about it all like, again, the Dark Eldar codex, but it's written so earnestly and straightforward without any of that "crosses the line twice" flavor.
>>
>>44500549
But they're far more amusing than Chaos. They have a grand old time cruising around the galaxy doing horrid things to dumb monkeys and then buggering off back to their city. Pretty much everything they do is just for the hell of it and their plans sometimes get almost Joker-like in how absurd they are. They're like a race of cheesy supervillains and it's awesome.
>>
>>44505745
You really can't derive that much comedy from brainwashed unaugmented orphan supersoldiers.
>>
>>44506266
This. I mean, look at the guys in OP's pic, they look like spikier versions of the Green Goblin.
>>
BDSM Elves, anon. They are just a fapbait faction.
>>
>>44500830
all rules are usable, find usable players
>>
>>44505745

Yeah. It also managed to deal a bad hand to the SOB without even mentioning them when the Schola is where the SOB are supposed to recruit from too.

It was just generally a bad idea.
>>
>>44500549
>waaah why do they give me more options
I will never understand these threads.
>>
>>44500549

They're dark elves moron
>>
File: Cenobite.jpg (116 KB, 716x1116) Image search: [Google]
Cenobite.jpg
116 KB, 716x1116
>Not liking space cenobites
>>
>>44506936
cenobites were mutilating themselves as well

Dark Eldars mutilate others
>>
>>44500549
They play nothing like chaos.

Also they fulfill an important place in world building; they're a secondary power. A believable universe had more than just the all powerful empress doing eternal grim horrific apocalyptic war, it had bands of dickbags who steal stuff and kill people for fun.

Basically the Dark Eldar are 40K bandits.
>>
File: Haemonculus.png (3 MB, 968x1414) Image search: [Google]
Haemonculus.png
3 MB, 968x1414
>>44507003
U wot m8? Self-harm is prevalent among the Dark Eldar.
>>
>>44506266
Most of the really good stuff is apparently in the cults supplement. I'm considering restarting 40k and picking up my DE again, does GW sell those on paper or are they just digital?
>>
IIRC a Dark Eldar can mutilate or inflict pain to himself if there is no one near him for a very long time
>>
>>44507104
Haemonculus are abnormally fucked up most regular Dark Eldars don't hurt themselves.
>>
>>44507162
They do, they also have what would be considered horrifying surgery performed on themselves basically to break the monotony.
>>
File: laughingeldar.jpg (32 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
laughingeldar.jpg
32 KB, 400x358
>>44507105
>buying codexes
>>
File: DE.png (1 MB, 998x649) Image search: [Google]
DE.png
1 MB, 998x649
>>44507165
It's true that the haemonculi are more fucked up than your average Deldar, but it is not uncommon for even regular rank and file warriors to inflict minor lacerations upon themselves to encourage the formation of scar tissue, which lends them a more intimidating appearance.
>>
File: heretic dost thou even lift.png (236 KB, 505x208) Image search: [Google]
heretic dost thou even lift.png
236 KB, 505x208
>>44502533
>>44505745
So what's this?
>>
>>44507303
Is there a better option? I like physical copies for handing to opponents, or at least I did back when they were £8 a pop.
>>
>>44507317
Well there also how they secure their armor to themselves with barbed hooks.
>>
>>44507510
Just pirate them and put the files on your ereader/ipad/whatever. Physical copies are for old men.
>>
>>44507322
Well damn, I must've missed that. That's actually pretty hilarious.
>>
>>44507544
I could do but I'd rather have the physical copies for my shelf. Anyway, I take it that means the supplements are digital only
>>
File: Angry_Marine_Smackdown.jpg (915 KB, 1200x1713) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Marine_Smackdown.jpg
915 KB, 1200x1713
>>44506349
you're kidding right?
>>
>>44507617
More like "Try to give GW as little money as you can". But no, they do sell physical copies, but only online.
>>
So what's in the Coven book? New fluff and formations only?
>>
>>44500549
Bogeymen in space
>>
>>44505745
Wait, the commissar asked them to do what? And he wasn't "disappeared" by the Catachans?
>>
>>44500549
Mobility, advanced technology.
>>
File: avatar.jpg (3 KB, 89x89) Image search: [Google]
3 KB, 89x89
>>44507165
>Armor hooked on to the flesh with barbs
>DEldar don't hurt themselves

Did your Commissar tell you that?
>>
File: Orkz.jpg (128 KB, 800x720) Image search: [Google]
Orkz.jpg
128 KB, 800x720
>>44500549
They have their own aesthetic. >>44502533
>Dark Eldar are the only faction that is grimdark, but doesn't forget that 40k is supposed to be tongue-and-cheek about it.
U wot m8? Demz fightin wurdz.
>>
>>44510715
I wouldn't call orks grim dark
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.