[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You sit down to start a new campaign and the DM goes : >hey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: o rly.png (547 KB, 1096x616) Image search: [Google]
o rly.png
547 KB, 1096x616
You sit down to start a new campaign and the DM goes :

>hey guys, it's a sandbox campaign. You start in a tavern. What do you do?

Someone askes : Why are we there?

>i don't know, why are you there?

Someone else askes : What's the world like?

>i don't know, what do you think the world is like?

What do you do?
>>
>>44499562
by the way just in case it wasn't clear, this is about a campaign in a traditional game system. the kind that is related to /tg/.
>>
Ask the DM if they actually put together a setting or if they're just winging this shit.
>>
>>44499562
Are you posting about Dungeon World, OP?
>>
>>44499562
>>hey guys, it's a sandbox campaign. You start in a tavern. What do you do?

Alright, time to prepare the expedition, how much can everybody carry, ive already got the pitons s..

>>i don't know, what do you think the world is like?

oh
>>
>>44499562
The fool has given me power to affect the setting outside of my character's interactions with it!

I shall use this power to make myself obscenely rich through a number of complicated plans that never quite work out!
>>
>>44499562
>What do you do?

Have fun.
>>
>>44499562
I proceed to study quantuum mechanics in this world and rise to divinity through it.
Game over.
Reality get bent.
>>
>>44499583
>a campaign in a traditional game system.
derail the game into Hunter x Hunter: Greedy Island arc
>>
>hey guys, it's a sandbox campaign. You start in a tavern. What do you do?

Slip a few digits in the barmaid

Here to get drunk and fuck beer serving wenches while hoping I don't catch a flesh destroying STD

The kind where you describe in detail how the barmaid slurps on my dick for the next twenty minutes complete with sound effects.
>>
Well, I think the tavern sits on the back of a whale. Anyone object to being on a whale?
>>
>>44500013

So long as you don't object to me fucking its blowhole.
>>
>>44500013
I completely agree with this notion, as long as the Whale is swimming in an ocean of beer.
>>
>>44500013
And that whale is Albert Einstein.

Well, no, not really. That would be ridiculous, because Albert Einstein is a human. But the whale did discover special relativity and then use the profits to fulfil a lifelong dream of owning a tavern.
>>
>>44500013
This begs a questions - where's the petunias?
>>
>>44500053
All those fish are gonna be so wasted.
>>
So the campaign is about alcoholics on a whale who get their dicks sucked. This ones starts like my regulars tend to end.
>>
>>44500053
And here we are, in a tavern, on a beer whale on the elemental plane of Beer. Why would you have a Tavern on the elemental plane of beer? Well, its a meeting place more than a place to buy beer, as beer is free wherever you go. Travelers come around to Taverns in order to meet and talk and organise themselves. I, for one, am looking for some intrepid lads brave enough to help crew my submersable, The Jaegar as we plumb the depths hunting the illusive giant cocktail shrimp
>>
>>44500053
Man, why do we even have taverns if the sea is made out of beer?

Wait, in this world, is a tavern where you go to drink something that DOESN'T have alcohol? When you're completely sick of the whiskey rivers and tequila rain, you go to a tavern and order a tall glass of orange juice.
>>
>>44500030
Why not? It has seven.
As long as we ride this mega whale through the stars to the Clockwork plane and fight against temporal dragons, I'm good.
>>
>>44499562
semi fair enough its a sandbox where you come from doesent matter
but this is inexcusable i have no problem with consulting with your group when worldbuilding but thats a whole other level
>>
>>44500076
Have the Dragons of Time kidnapped princess Cocktail Shrimp and locked her away in the legendary Happy Hour?
>>
The setting is modern/futuristic with giant floating islands. Each island houses one country for our current world and look almost exactly like the shape they are in our world.
>>
guyz it's the world with vikingz :DD

vikingz were so awesum we are the chosen Odin's berserkirs and we raid and kill xD
>>
>>44500083
We are now playing in a setting called Booze Hounds, where we play adventurous drinkers who traverse the planes on the lookout for wenches and tales to tell. The party in called drinking buddies, and the classes are based around types of alcohol.
>>
>>44500089
Yes, with the help of our vodka wizard and wine cleric we can banish the spell that binds the hostage, while the beerbarian fights the Time Dragon
>>
>>44499562
Bar fight.
>>
>>44500072
>cocktail shrimp
o i am laffin
>>
>>44500107
with bourbon sour thieves and craft beer monks?
>>
>>44499562
Are you sure thats tjhe case and its maybe an onnocent new dm just trying to please. Maybe youbshould take it up with your dm instead of complaining on /tg/
>>
>>44500352
i had a guy who introduced himself as an experienced DM once and then he just sat and watchd a group of mostly newbies RP food eating in confusion for 2 hours because he wanted to do a sandbox campaign.
>>
>I sit everyone down to start a new campaign and I, the DM, introduce a handful of plot hooks. What do you do?
>Players: "We don't know what to do."
>I throw out suggestions, clues and mysteries via NPCs and events.
>Players: "There's nothing to doooooo."
And another night of my life is wasted.
>>
>>44499562
Have fun, although we probably would need to play a few rounds of zombie cinema or npc to get get the creativity on.
>>
>>44500072
>>44500073
>beerwhales always have "taverns" on their backs
>the "tavern" is a joke name the residents of the plane invented to prank newcomers
>the structure is actually a part of the beerwhale's body, as is the bartender
>the beerwhale naturally produces different beverages which are all perfectly safe to drink
>this factiltates a symbiotic relationship: travelers get free drinks, the beerwhale gets company
>>
>>44500065
Orbiting around whale.
>>
>>44499562

I AM THE SHARMAT
I AM OLDER THAN MUSIC
WHAT I BRING IS LIGHT
WHAT I BRING IS A STAR
WHAT I BRING IS
AN ANCIENT SEA
WHEN YOU SLEEP YOU SEE ME
DANCING AT THE CORE
IT IS NOT A BLIGHT
IT IS MY HOUSE
I PUT A STAR
INTO THE WORLD'S MOUTH
TO MURDER IT
TEAR DOWN THE PYLONS
MY BLIND FISH
SWIM IN THE NEW
PHLOGISTON
TEAR DOWN THE PYLONS
MY DEAF MOONS
SING AND BURN
AND ORBIT ME
I AM OLDER THAN MUSIC
WHAT I BRING IS LIGHT
WHAT I BRING IS A STAR
WHAT I BRING IS
AN ANCIENT SEA
>>
>>44501135
The best thing to do with these players is to make them part of an organizations and start with them receiving a mission that they have to do.
>>
>>44499655
>>
>>44501198

Man, beerwhales sound like total bros.
>>
>>44499639
>i don't know what do you think?
>>
>>44499562
Buy equipment for an adventure, and set off in the direction of any interesting scenery.
See if I can get a map.

Time for an adventure.
>>
>>44500243
And beerbarians
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 398x269) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 398x269
>>44499970
>The kind where you describe in detail how the barmaid slurps on my dick for the next twenty minutes complete with sound effects.

Ok. The barmaid takes you upstairs, and proceeds to do the following.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_TAjzd03PY
>>
>>44501135
every time they turn down a hook, make the next one more obvious. here's my usual levels:

1: hint. like "you hear a rumor as you pass by"

2: direct mention. a character mentions a plot hook as they talk to them, but doesn't directly ask them to deal with it, like offhandedly mentioning the weird howling in that building he works in.

3: request. Someone actively asks them to deal with a situation, like the guy asks them to investigate the howling.

4: pay. same as 3, but a reward is specifically mentioned, like a sign saying "100 GOLD TO WHOSOEVER DISCOVERS THE CAUSE OF THE MYSTERIOUS HOWLING AND PUTS AN END TO IT"

5: order/threat. Something indirectly threatens or implies some kind of punishment if they don't deal with the situation. like "the sheriff is pissed that your bard screwed his daughter, but he's willing to look past it if you go deal with whatever is howling"

6: Direct involvement. Something immediately directly pulls them into the plot, like a werewolf jumps out and mauls the bard.
>>
>>44499562
>why are we there?
Drink, pick up wenches, possibly find work. good place for someone without a fucking job to find work.
>what is the world like?
rocks and trees, birds. orcs. elves. occasional monster. no wellfare though. so ya'll in a tavern...
>>
>>44499562
"So there I was, runnin me arse away from this huge fooken dragen, it's fire-tongue nippin at mah heels, when suddenly a crack o' tunder came snappin down the mountain side, triggerin an avalanche I naught seen since I was a wee lad. Damned white run swept the two of us up, down into the valley below. Clung to each oter like little lasses we did, struggling to keep ar heads above the cold death carrying us down to the river.

"Down and down we went until, CRASH, right into the frozen stream, shattering the ice, submerged in a thick slosh o freezing water and packed snow. What felt like hours passed and as my lungs begun to give out, the flailing oh wing and tail sent me shooting outa that icy tomb.

"As I tank'd the gods and turned to head back up the mountain a cry so tortured brought me round. The poor beast, flailing, trapped beneath the snow and ice. My virtues got the best of me, and, pulling out me ice pick and a length oh rope, I sunk snagged onto the scaly tail of that great monster, and with a great roar, pulled him loose from that roaring river.

The gnome pats a small winged lizard sleeping calmly on his lap.

"And that's how we ended up here. True story, dat, just ask Ahjel, she'll tell you herself.
>>
>>44501321
that would of worked better if you had posted it before the others in the therad ran with the freedom and made the awesome beer whale setting seed
>>
>>44501198
It could be using the Tavern to attract adventurers to help protect it from predators and the thriving beerwhalers
>>
>>44506201

You mean people are hunting the majestic beerwhales?

Fuck THOSE guys.
>>
>GM only tells you about the tavern
>The world is nothing but the tavern
>Proceed to have a month long adventure discovering every minute detail of the tavern, rooms constantly being added as our imagination adds more detail to the tavern

Pretty easy way to set up an infinite dungeon desu
>>
>>44506282
Yeah apparently the elves are really into it they say the meat gained versus lives taken is morally efficient. But we all know they want them for the cosmetics industry
>>
>>44499562
I start a new character. Randomly roll race and class. Pick an alignment at random.

Wait to see his response.
>>
>>44499956
I'd be down for that
>>
>>44506577
his backstory is a mad libs.
>>
>>44499562

I had something like this once. Turned into a shitfest.

>Joining new group
>Wanted to get input about the world before I made my character
>DM gives me this kind of poleaxed stare, and then saying it slowly and loudly, says that it's a sandbox.
>Come again?
>Yeah, it's a SANDBOX stupid, so I should make whatever I want and he'll build the world around it.
>Ask him if he has prepared anything whatsoever.
>He starts yelling at me and I leave the group.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.