[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to know when you enter the Magical Realm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1383347551841.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1383347551841.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
Sup /tg/. Got a question about a homebrew monster race I'm thinking up for my setting.
The setting is more or less modern, post alien contact, which came in the from of alien spaceship wreckage. Part of the wreckage was device that would transform you on a genetic level into essentially a superhuman. Generally, people really don't like those who become superhumans, so they mistreated a lot. But the drawbacks go further, in that mating with a regular human doesn't create the expected half-human half-alien hybrid, but a horrible tentacle monster whose bite turns other humans into horrible tentacle monsters.
Is this a little too weird? I'm struggling to come up with common grade monsters for the PCs to fight against aside from other humans, but this is the best I've been able to come up with aside from random space amoebas and what is basically the T-virus.
>>
>>44498752
What's the general genre of the game?

Also magical realm is in the description and how hard you dwell on things.
The players may accuse you of jacking "super+non super = horrible monster offspring" from Werewolf but it ain't exactly magical realm.
>>
File: 1433873253592.jpg (132 KB, 1649x931) Image search: [Google]
1433873253592.jpg
132 KB, 1649x931
>>44498918
>What's the general genre of the game?
Sort of like Shadowrun, I guess, just without the things that make shadowrun interesting (magic, fantasy species etc.).

>The players may accuse you of jacking "super+non super = horrible monster offspring" from Werewolf but it ain't exactly magical realm.
Dunno what that is. Since the monsters are spawned at least initially through human pregnancy, I wasn't sure if anyone would think that too weird. I wasn't planning on dwelling on it, but some people might get hung up about it, especially since the off-humans would be playable characters.
>>
>>44498990
Okay, for that tone, saying "there be horrible things in this world. Here's one of them." is not off kilter.
They may be creeped out, for which depending on how hard they react you either say "it's horror, buckle up" or dial it down.

You may have a guy that is mad paranoid about magical realms, you can shut em down with "what, you were planning to fuck bitches? It's not this kind of game."
>>
>>44499026

That would be.... a surprising turn-around from "potential magical realm" into "absolutly not magical realm"

But I wonder why those offsprings wouldn't be killed asap? Basically already during pregnancy. You still should cover this logical flaw.
>>
>>44499197
Current explanation is that they wouldn't be appear pregnant until the birth occurs. More like chestbursters I guess, except lower.

Some people might even try to protect the offspring due to a kind of fucked up paternal/maternal instinct.
>>
>>44499197

you could say that initially the baby is humanlike, in everything, even with MRI, and all kind of normal exams. You'd need a direct DNA exam of the offspring while it's still in the womb to tell it's a hybrid, or something more "futuristic".
After the baby is born it has a VERY (let's say 98%?) high chance of collapsing under it's unstable nature and becoming one of those monsters.
So, while there still will be paranoia about all this thing, there is still the need to check out the baby. Since the superhuman are shunned some could hide their nature and sleep around, maybe impregnating women and running away.

To know the possible result of her pregnancy a woman would need to do said test, but unless there is healtcare in this magical realm a lot of people would not be able to afford taking it. Example, very low-tier prostitutes, impregnated by the superhoomans looking for an easy fuck.
You could say that the test is mandatory, but it's still hard to force everyone everywhere, as there still will be illegal immigrants, runaways, etcetera.
This would make the tentacle plage a thing much more common in the poorer districts, even in orphanage where abandoned children are literally a biological time-bomb.
On the other hand, in the case of superwomen, what i said about the test could still be appliable, but 1) the woman could not want to abort hoping in the very slight chance of the baby being stable, 2) some psycho bitches enjoy being broodmothers and shit like that (hell that could even be one of the villains) .

There are a lot of possibilities.
>>
File: 1354212178082.jpg (19 KB, 198x254) Image search: [Google]
1354212178082.jpg
19 KB, 198x254
>>44499405
>you could say that initially the baby is humanlike, in everything, even with MRI, and all kind of normal exams. You'd need a direct DNA exam of the offspring while it's still in the womb to tell it's a hybrid, or something more "futuristic".
>After the baby is born it has a VERY (let's say 98%?) high chance of collapsing under it's unstable nature and becoming one of those monsters.
I like this. I was thinking of letting their be rumours of a slight chance of a not monster-spawn being born, just enough to entertain someone crazy and desperate enough to try. I like the idea that there's even a possibility for a kid to start growing up and bursting into tentacles later in life. The paranoia would be immense.

>To know the possible result of her pregnancy a woman would need to do said test, but unless there is healtcare in this magical realm a lot of people would not be able to afford taking it.
The things that cause the change was spread worldwide by the crash, so the quality of healthcare varies by region. "superhumans" is also kind of a misnomer on my part; they aren't that superior to humans, they are mostly just very pretty.

>You could say that the test is mandatory, but it's still hard to force everyone everywhere, as there still will be illegal immigrants, runaways, etcetera.
Yeah, and I want these creatures to be a scourge of the earth as well as a common enemy, so the idea that they can't be contained by their nature is a key point I've been looking for.
>>
>>44498752
>How to know when you enter the Magical Realm
If it at all seems sexual to you, then it's Magical Realm and your only priority is to flail, scream, and leave while calling everyone perverted freaks.
>>
>>44498752
well that depends do you have a fetish for horrible tentacle monsters.
>>
>>44499576

still that guy here

to add panic to panic, you could say that there is not set point where it's safe. It could happen at 3 days or at 14 years. As bonus, the trasformation would be ISTANTLY triggered at death, so if people picked up torch and pitchfork and started killing a bunch of toddleers in orphanage just to be sure it could end VERY VERY BADLY
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.