[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you let someone play the child of a demon lord who is now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 28
File: faa9a584ff29cc4d203a07911eb7c796.jpg (571 KB, 1200x1680) Image search: [Google]
faa9a584ff29cc4d203a07911eb7c796.jpg
571 KB, 1200x1680
Would you let someone play the child of a demon lord who is now undergoing a rebellious teen phase and trying to be a paladin?
>>
File: Story_Image_3.jpg (191 KB, 616x275) Image search: [Google]
Story_Image_3.jpg
191 KB, 616x275
>>44493376
Do you smite the child of a demon lord if they try to become a paladin?
>>
>>44493376
Sure, why not? Have him show up once in a while ala Raven's father in Teen Titans Go! Shenanigans ensue.
>>
File: D3_Mao_Bust_01.jpg (365 KB, 1115x1000) Image search: [Google]
D3_Mao_Bust_01.jpg
365 KB, 1115x1000
>>44493376
Yes
>>
>>44493824
No, you help them do it right.
>>
>>44493376
I ask the player three questions:
- Why was the character accepted into a paladin order ?
- How do they plan to have the characters upbringing affect how easily they stay on the path of good ?
- How do they think NPCs who know about the characters parent will treat the character ?

If they give answers that show they have thought about the conflict between being a paladin and being the child of a demon lord will play out, both in the mind of the character and in the mind of NPCs, I'll let them play it.

If they leave me thinking that they plan to mostly ignore one of those elements after the game starts, I'll probably reject the character concept.
>>
File: This Post.gif (345 KB, 222x183) Image search: [Google]
This Post.gif
345 KB, 222x183
>>44493376
>Child of a demon lord
So right off the bat this retarded character is basically a Mary Sue with a super special demon dad and/or demon powers.

>Rebellious teen phase
Fuck me, I can feel the shitty animu angst from here.

>Trying to be a paladin
So basically a paladin order just let a demon join because why not? (Oh wait, rules don't apply to Sues) Also I guess the whole EVIL DEMONIC NATURE thing never causes problems ever. Yeah... that's cool I guess. You've basically reduced "demon" to being an excuse for free powers that doesn't actually mean anything beyond that.

In short, no, I wouldn't let any of my players EVER play something so retarded. In fact, I;d probably consider kicking the player from the group if this wasn't the first time they've been this retarded.
>>
>>44496616
>You've basically reduced "demon" to being an excuse for free powers that doesn't actually mean anything beyond that.

But anon, that's how all modern fantasy is anyways.
>>
>>44496616
Yep, let's go and play male human fighters who "did merc work" for their background.
>>
>>44496642
>Hurr, false-equivalent strawman argument. I win!
>>
>>44496642
Hey now. My merc is a female.
>>
>demon
>paladin

NOPE
>>
>>44493376
>Implying a paladin is something you can just do for funsies, rather than a lifelong commitment that you dedicate your entire body, soul, and self to wholeheartedly.

God, it's like kids who play Call of Duty and suddenly think they're qualified to be Navy Seals.
>>
Play it off as more mundane than it seems and maybe. Less obviously rebellious and more an evil demonspawn feeling legitimately bad about being an incarnation of evil. More existential than "I hate my dad WAHHHH".
>>
>>44496616
>You've basically reduced "demon" to being an excuse for free powers that doesn't actually mean anything beyond that.
That's all it's ever been.
>>
>>44496681
Do you think being a Navy Seal is a lifelong commitment for some reason?
>>
>>44496735
No, but it's not something you can do just because you think Seals are cool or wana use to get back at daddy.
>>
Would it be better if the demon lord was Zuggtmoy and the child was a cute mushroom girl/boy?
>>
File: 1451272414941.jpg (80 KB, 475x474) Image search: [Google]
1451272414941.jpg
80 KB, 475x474
>>44496806
You've literally just made it worse.
>>
>>44496774
Are you implying people don't become Navy Seals specifically because it's cool?

Because you're wrong.
>>
>>44493376
There are other ways to be a rebellious teen than being a Paladin. I'm pretty sure the whole "channeling holy energy" thing would kill you, depending on the setting. It's generally a think that causes demons to turn to ashes, so yeah...

Honestly, the idea sounds tryhard. Not terrible... just tryhard and not well thought-out.
>>44496489 had the right idea, otherwise I gotta agree with everyone who said this just sounds like an awful idea stolen from some angsty anime purely because "rule of cool".
>>
>>44493376
I know this is just a bait thread to get people talking about your gay anime shit, but no, I wouldn't let someone play that.
>>
>>44493376
on but thats only because i dont let people play child characters i have never been able to find a way work the stats for them that feels right.
>>
>>44496616
>So basically a paladin order just let a demon join because why not?
now most of what you said i can see where your coming from but thats just retarded

any paliden order who would turn away somebody just because of there species is not a true order

a paliden always does what is right even if they know it will most likely end horribly.
>>
>>44496642
now thats something i wont allow unless we are starting above level 1.
>>
>>44496944
To be fair, "rebellious teen phase" doesn't necessary imply child. The character could be like 15 or 16, combined with ZOMG FREE DEMON POWERS could give them stats equivalent to (if not better than) an adult.

But let's be honest, given how people have recieved this idea so far, OP probably just wants to play his loli waifu-bait demon girl who looks 12 but it's OK cos she's really like 10,000.
>>
>>44493376
Oh I would. Most of my players are well aware I use people's backgrounds. Especially if I can have a player bring a level 30 or so character into the game constantly.

Demon cult sacrificing innocents? Just to leave a message he wants you to come home for dinner. If you don't he'll do it again. You have his word he'll let you go back to it.

Your new boyfriend slaughtered? Well of course, he wasn't good enough for you. You can do better.

You try to fight back? Well now your character is kidnapped and we can have a fun "rescue misson from hell".

Not to mention that everyone will distrust her. She's not going to be pretty in the eyes of the world. horns, scales and tail is creepy and feels weird. Enjoy being an outcast that's tormented by an evil god being.
>>
>>44496986
>The character could be like 15 or 16, combined with ZOMG FREE DEMON POWERS could give them stats equivalent to (if not better than) an adult.

3.PF makes 15 the age of adulthood.
>>
>>44497021
>3.PF

That's a bigger problem than any character backstories.
>>
>>44496681
Heck, maybe that's part of the character. They don't have a clue how a Paladin actually operates or what they dedicate themselves too, they're just doing what they guess it's like. I'd argue the character is most interesting that way, because any real paladins they meet would be at odds with them not only over their race, but their flawed imitation of their code as well.
>>
>>44497058
I will concede, if you were going to go about it at all, this would be the way to do it. I'd actually be OK with this.
>>
>>44493376

Good chance they'll die rather quickly, what with the stat penalties for being a child combined with physically damaging themselves every time they attempt a holy move; I'd just let the concept explode on itself in front of the player's face to tell him why it's a bad idea.

Now, if they're a /paladin in training/, (a squire), I might give them more leeway...
>>
>>44497206
I don't think you understand how D&D works.
>>
File: basic1_lg.jpg (54 KB, 500x662) Image search: [Google]
basic1_lg.jpg
54 KB, 500x662
>>44497218

I never said I was playing D&D.
>>
>>44497218
>Playing DnD
That's a bigger problem than any character backstory.
>>
>>44497232
GURPS 4e is actually one of the most child PC-friendly systems out there because of the way the rules for kids work.
>>
>>44496806
Yes, especially if it's a qt boy
>>
Why does this concept get /tg/ so bootybothered?
>>
>>44493376
Yes.
>>
>>44498651
Some fa/tg/uys are vehemently opposed to anything they perceive as 'weebshit', regardless of its quality or actual weeaboosity.

Much like how some of the most ardent anti-gay activists are closet homosexuals themselves.
>>
>>44493376

No. Because.
>Demons aren't "teens" and don't have "phases", they're manifestations of elemental evil.
>You don't choose to become a Paladin, you are chosen.
>Being a Paladin requires a truly noble heart, a righteous and just soul. Not something you do just to rebel.

Shit character, shit player, gtfo my game.
>>
>>44493376
No because demon lord is a retarded JRPG cliché and my setting ain't got none of that garbage
>>
>>44498801
This, thank you. This is what I was trying to explain earlier.
>>
>>44493376
Yup, sounds fun.
>>
>>44493376
Maybe? My current game has a demon that's been building a little town full of their Tiefling children (and whatever the other parent is, if they want to stick around)

It might fall a little flat given that the demon itself isn't exactly pushing everyone to be evil, just efficient, and of course if they decide to send people after the Paladin kid then they'd be aiming to kill - personal freedom, fine, but you don't leave town permanently without the express permission of the Arch-Parent.
>>
Sounds potentially funny, would allow in a light hearted game
>>
>>44498801
All of those are campaign setting related things, not universal rules. The character concept is inherently funny, so I don't see why not let give it a go. You play with people you like and trust afterall, don't you?
>>
>>44499223

>Inherently funny

Maybe if you're 13.
>>
If I ever run a dumb animu comedy game. Expect dad to appear out of nowhere and fry everything in a two-mile radius every time he thinks something's wrong. Or just remind you to BRUSH YOUR TEETH.
>>
>>44498801
>Demons aren't "teens" and don't have "phases", they're manifestations of elemental evil.

Completely untrue. "Liveborn" outsiders start as infants and grow up as mortals do.
>>
Yes, definitely.
>>
>>44498691
But what's so weeb about it?
>>
>>44496489
>- Why was the character accepted into a paladin order ?

You don't have to enter an order to be a paladin.
>>
>>44493376
No, because rebelliousness is inimical to the ideals of a paladin, and taints their attempt with worldly desires. Same result as those who try to become paladins in search of fame, wealth, glory, or authority.

Now, if the child's motivation is an honest, God-given calling to do Good, than they are welcome to join the order.
>>
>>44493376
I am always down for a story about someone learning the true meaning of JUSTICE.
>>
Am Picturing some kid who doesn't really know what being a paladin is And really full of them self

And unless their told paladins don't do some bad thing they still do it

Beating up random people, lying cheating and the like

> What do you mean Paladins don't Lie... I mean of course I knew that I was testing you

Oh and their smite evil is just them swinging their weapon harder and covered in hell fire
>>
>>44496489
The first one can be pretty easily ignored though, once the game starts. Even if a paladin did have to join an order in that setting, once they get their powers, they usually can be a free agent, answering only to their god. And it's not like it's that hard to justify in the first place, unless your paladins are "1: detect evil. 2: if yes, go to 3, if no, go to 1. 3: smite evil, go to 1."

Otherwise I heartily agree with you.
>>
>>44500092
Do paladins have to join orders?
>>
>>44500119
Paladins don't worship gods.

Learn to D&D.
>>
>>44500245
In most editions they do, or at least are empowered by them. And if they aren't, like in 4e, or 5e, they have an even looser "leash".
>>
>>44500320
>In most editions they do, or at least are empowered by them.
[citation needed]

4e is the only edition where paladins worship gods.
>>
>>44493376
>Would you let someone play (a) child

No. Get your Magical Realm faggotry out of my fucking TTRPG
>>
>>44500225
While it's not strictly necessary, usually a measure of organization is implied by the term "paladin." A one-off holy warrior outside an established religious structure is more often called a Champion or Chosen.
>>
>>44500454
But in D&D, they're paladins.
>>
>Allowing Paladins to begin with
Yeah sure lets all be magic superknights of the gods
Hell, lets just play gods
Fuck it throw out the whole rolebook you have divine powers just ask to win and you will
Why even fucking bother mr wizard man it's not like you even wanted a game to begin with it seems
>>
File: 1449753208334.jpg (1003 KB, 1342x1020) Image search: [Google]
1449753208334.jpg
1003 KB, 1342x1020
>>44500118
>smite evil is just them swinging their weapon harder and covered in hell fire
I fuckin love it.
>>
>>44500480
True enough, but D&D isn't the sum of all fantasy.
>>
>>44500564
that movie was alright, but this poster comes out a little misleading
>>
>>44493376
If I trust them, in a heartbeat
>>
>>44496866

you are wrong because those faggots never make past the first day.

they lack the discipline to preserve
>>
>>44500322
So...are they just tsundere to their gods in the other editions?
>stupid god of fire, it's not like I want to burn heretics in your name, I just needed a patron to bless off on it...
>STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT...baka.
>>
File: Why.gif (482 KB, 152x129) Image search: [Google]
Why.gif
482 KB, 152x129
>>44496965
>A palidin always does what is right even if they know it will most likely end horribly.

No, that's just retarded and those orders don't exist anymore for good reason.
>>
>>44493376
I have a player with just such a PC in my current game. Has had one unexpected run in with his dad where the PC rescued a few brainwashed sacrifices and is now unsure of how to go about breaking them of the conditioning that makes them all super happy about the idea of being sacrificed.
>>
>>44499447

Take your fanfiction out of this thread.
>>
>>44498820

But they appeared in D&D long before Japan got a hold on them.
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>44500245
>>44500322
>>
File: 1451661720856.jpg (70 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1451661720856.jpg
70 KB, 720x720
>>44500031

Young female + Anime Art = Weeb = Asspained grognards and fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>44500921
I know in 5e, paladins gain their power from the conviction required to constantly follow such a strict oath at all times, rather than the thing they're sworn to itself.

This means that there are a lot of paladins who are sworn to gods, but there are also ones that are sworn just to the concept of justice, or something similar.

There's even an oath which is based around swearing yourself to a lord or monarch.
>>
>>44500040
True. But they still need to get the training and powers from somewhere. So if I ask that question and they tell me how the powers and training was obtained without joining an order, and it shows that the player thought about it, I'd accept it. For example:
>I figured it out on my own.
Fuck no.
> I haven't figured out that yet.
I start each campaign with character creation session. Players discuss their character concepts with each other and gets their concept approved by me before they put anything on paper. I've yet to refuse a character idea, but I've had a few time when I've asked players to go into more detail before saying yes.

The player would have until the end of that discussion to answer the question.

> Found a Paladin willing to train me despite knowing who I was.
> Tricked a Paladin into thinking I was someone else so that he would train me.
> Bribed a teacher into training me.
Those three would get a yes from me.

>>44496616
>So right off the bat this retarded character is basically a Mary Sue with a super special demon dad and/or demon powers.
If I was GMing, their backstory wouldn't give them access to any choices that other characters couldn't make during character creation. At most they could justify a taking race that is harder to see becoming a Paladin.

As for the father, yes he's a powerful contact for a PC to have. But, like any other contact a PC has, his willingness to help is under my control. He's probably a bit upset about his child becoming a Paladin. Which makes his a rather interesting NPC for me to use.

Even if the player/PC would rather avoid him.
>>
>>44500921
No, D&D paladins get their powers from JUSTICE and RESPONSIBILITY. They tend towards religion because they want to ask gods for their advice on the right course of action.

Individual settings sometimes change this so that they're directly empowered by gods though (e.g. Forgotten Realms, where atheism is considered so morally abhorrent that even beings made out of pure evil are disgusted by it).
>>
>>44503673

See, this is how I know you're a shit DM:

> Found a Paladin willing to train me despite knowing who I was.
No Paladin would train a demon spawn going through a rebellious phase. What's more, Paladins don't get their powers from training, only their martial ability.
> Tricked a Paladin into thinking I was someone else so that he would train me.
That's how you become a shitty Fighter, not a Paladin
> Bribed a teacher into training me.
Bribed a Paladin? Yeah, that's gonna happen.
>>
>>44503831
"Purists" make the shittiest GMs.

"Hey what if I made a dwarf who is an inventior and builds planes"
>no you can't, dwarves are scholars of the Stone who respect mining tradition, as written by N'vili'n'g L'o etc.
"What if I made a Warforged who has a portal to Earth in his chest"
> no you can't because rule 63 on p 4 states that Warforged are created only by the method of B'waa in the blah blah blah

Basically if you let some dumb generic concept thing get in the way of a cool idea, you're doing it wrong.

Why couldn't he bribe a paladin if he wanted to? There's like dozens of ways to justify how that could happen.
>>
>>44498801
>>Demons aren't "teens" and don't have "phases", they're manifestations of elemental evil.
This is wrong. There's plenty of settings where they are just a regular species.
>>You don't choose to become a Paladin, you are chosen.
This is also wrong, it's a minority of settings that do it that way.
>>Being a Paladin requires a truly noble heart, a righteous and just soul. Not something you do just to rebel.
Again wrong. All it requires is the proper alignment... most of the time. Sometimes it doesn't even require that much.
>>
>>44503831

>No Paladin would train a demon spawn going through a rebellious phase.

Eh, it would be worth a shot. To see if it sticks and they become a force for good rather than evil.
>>
>>44503831
Why not? I mean, if they're going to turn evil they aren't going to be able to use their paladin powers, are they. There's nothing to lose.
>>
>>44503831
obiwan trained anakin
>>
>>44502115
>fanfiction

Go read 2e Faces of Evil: The Fiends.
>>
>>44504151
You're exactly the kind of faggot GM that fudges dice, entirely ruining the point of an RPG in the first place. If you want freeform, fuck off to Gaia.
>>
>>44508300
Not fudging dice entirely ruins the point of an RPG. If the GM doesn't do it then it's just a numbers simulator.
>>
>>44508929
If you fudge dice, then you're broken the only reason to use dice, the randomization factor, and they forever become a shitty prop to the story you're dragging your players through, rather than a role-playing game.
>>
>>44496616
It's basically just a tiefling paladin, take the holy sword out of your ass.
>>
>>44500740
That's really not true either.
>>
>>44509097
No. Randomization is important, but dramatic predetermination is also important. You need both, not just one or the other.
>>
File: 75593-127902-hellboy.jpg (37 KB, 500x640) Image search: [Google]
75593-127902-hellboy.jpg
37 KB, 500x640
You know if OP had used this picture instead of some animu fanart shit you would all be having a serious discussion about the merits instead of whining like a bunch of fucking babies that can't get over the fact nobody uses Guygax logic anymore. I hope you all realize how retarded you are.
>>
>>44493376
That actually sounds kind of fun. It's a better campaign motivation than "I'm a monk from a man punching temple," or "I'm a rogue from a face stabbing guild" which is what my fucking players always use. Would allow and appreciate.
>>
File: 1451511269946.jpg (56 KB, 800x753) Image search: [Google]
1451511269946.jpg
56 KB, 800x753
>>44496648
Fallacy Fallacy, your using a meme logic argument also
>>
>>44497254
Do tell?
>>
>>44507697
Faces of Evil definitely does not mesh with fiends being paladins and does not mesh with 3e parameters of outsiders. Using "outsiders" with Faces of Evil fluff is as disingenuous as using 2e's take on healing being necromancy as proof that Animate Dead isn't evil.
>>
>>44493376
I'd work with him on a the background, but it'd probably be a comedic, high powered game.

I can already see it now, though, demon kid rebel and prays to a good god to get him out of hell because it is so boring there; he gets knocked out by an angel and tossed in the back of a holy unmarked van and thrown into the material realm, with a piece of paper on his chest telling him he has to act like a paladin or the god's blessing is withdrawn and he gets sucked back to the underworld by his dad... and his dad is pissed off.
>>
>>44509968
If we're bringing 3.X into this, show me where 3.X says that fiends can't give birth to fiends the mortal way.
>>
>>44510259
You said outsiders (a 3e term), and we were on the topic of fiends becoming paladins (also just a 3e thing), two elements that indicate you weren't talking about 2e. So I didn't bring 3e into this, you did.
>>
>>44500405
>You can't play as anything that has ever been born and/or raised by parental guardians
faggot
>>
>>44510283
Let's talk 3e then.

Where does 3e say that fiends never ever EVER produce kids the mortal way?
>>
>>44510377
It doesn't, and explicitly states that erinyes do, as do unique devils. You are correct.
>>
>>44493376
nope, we are playing delta green
>>
>>44496616
>So right off the bat this retarded character is basically a Mary Sue with a super special demon dad and/or demon powers.
Demon dad disowns the kid and the kid is too young to have demon powers. Where's your creativity, friend?
>>
This sounds like it would actually be pretty fun if done right. The kid is initially just going through the motions, doing good just to get back at daddy, then slowly growing to enjoy the gratitude and goodwill that comes from playing the hero, eventually 'going native' with the mortals.
Then daddy shows up, and the party now has two bbeg to deal with. Possibly simultaneously. Maybe three, if someone else has ties to the Mob or some other bad-guy organization. If I'm truly feeling like a dick, the party will be given a choice between letting daddy drag her home and stick her in timeout, or having to fight demonic enemies for the remainder of the campaign.
As for powers... just say that he,s/she's using her demon powers to mimic paladin powers; deception is something demons are supposed to be good at, after all. Switch "holy" for "evil" where relevant, if you're feeling nitpicky.
>>
>>44496806
>Implying a girl can have a mushroom
>>
>>44511125
Seems almost fitting that she's a devil's tooth mushroom.
>>
>>44500740
You literally don't have any idea what you're talking about.
Literally the only reason to become a seal (or any special operations force for that matter) is because it's cool.
It's not like it pays better or has better time off or gets you special benefits.
>>
File: 1451591160243.jpg (3 MB, 2448x2933) Image search: [Google]
1451591160243.jpg
3 MB, 2448x2933
>>44510921
>deception is something demons are supposed to be good at, after all

And it is a powerful agent to the uninitiated, much like theatricality.
>>
>>44498801
>You don't choose to become a Paladin, you are chosen.
what shit tier paladins
>>
>>44500092
that is true

still worth trying to teach her and see if she does have that under the guise of rebelion.
>>
>>44493872
>Teen Titans Go
>Not the original
Anon pls
>>
>>44503831
the paladin would not so much be there to train the demon as to instill paladin ideals in her
>>
>>44504151
while both of those things should probably be shot down its for very difrent reasons
>>
>>44510259
now im not sure whos side im supporting here but
fiendish codex 1 hordes of the abyss page 7 PHYSIOLOGY, BASIC FUNCTIONS, Reproduction

it does later go on to say that special demons such as the demon lords can reproduce sexualy but i havent found that part yet and it may have been in fiendish codex 2 or possibly some other book.

half fiends are made sexually though
>>
How about a teifling becoming a paladin. Like, driven by some notion to repent for the sins of their ancestors.
I imagine self harm and bondage might be involved, also being preachy over any little sin.
>>
>>44493376
>Would you let someone play the child of a demon lord who is now undergoing a rebellious teen phase and trying to be a paladin?
There's nothing really wrong with it, so I wouldn't mind it if the other players also had outlandish characters. It just depends on the tone of the game. It wouldn't really fit if the rest of the party is regular humans and a dwarf or something like that. So I'd ask the others to either step it up or that one player to tone it down.

Maybe it could become a paladin misfits campaign. Stuff like half-fiends and fey creatures like pixies, all trying to follow their dreams and become paladins. Nobody takes them seriously for obvious reasons. Except paladin powers turn out to not be granted by gods, they are granted by the paradox inherent in perfect Lawful Good. So obviously they end up making even better paladins.
>>
>>44493376
That sounds hilarious, yes.

I might give some more scrutiny since our group has some... history with demons, but if it checked out, sure.
>>
>>44514751
I haven't watched Go! but I assume Trygon shows up more often and with less impact, given the lessened emphasis on plot, so perhaps they meant what they said.
>>
File: 1440015609996.gif (967 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
1440015609996.gif
967 KB, 245x180
>>44493376
I'm always down for folks playing odd character. One of the most entertaining games I was in, a guy played a warforged necromancer who was having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that he couldn't die in the traditional way, and was therefore fascinated with death in all its aspects.

So as long as it was played straight, hell yeah I'm okay with it.
>>
>>44516978
Reminds me of the often reposted vampire priests of a sun god.
>>
>>44500118
This is how it should be done.

No Paladin powers
only a vague idea of what paladins are
just a demon kid tearing shit up whilst making inaccurate speeches about truth justice and the holy way.
>>
>>44517120
Yes, but if the kid actually got some real paladin exposure they could still become one. As awkward as that journey might be.
>>
I get the hate, but people aren't seeing the possibilities.

The character could be a wannabe paladin, who isn't a member of any actual order, and lies about it. The character wouldn't really understand what being a paladin meant other than talking about "The light" and "Slaying evil".

So play the character like any other Chaotic Evil demon, but one who constantly pretends to be the hero. You can even have the character realize that there's more to being a paladin than killing things, try to become moral, but fails at it because the character is a fucking demon. Make it very obvious to everyone that this whole "I'm such a paladin XD" thing is just a phase, and when the character gets over it, you'll have an ultra powerful demon lord that might kill you out of sheer bordom.

You can also have the character be pathetically weak, due to refusing to use it's demon powers, but none of the party wants to make fun of the character, trying to buy time to get some mcguffin that lets you kill it/seal it's powers.

The sealing powers one works well too, because you could bring the character back later as an antagonist who wants to get revenge on the party for making it a weakling mortal.
>>
>>44505096
Your setting's a shit, go away.

>>44514684
Looks like you weren't righteous enough, kid.
>>
>>44504151

You're a fucking idiot. Chickenshit crazy doesn't mean original, interesting or cool. It means stupid.

Your examples are fucking stupid and you're stupid. Now get out.

>Why couldn't he bribe a paladin if he wanted to

What part of DEUS VULT don't you get?
>>
>>44517807
Well fuck you too, imma go play a Mind Flayer Barbarian!
>>
File: 1449523576573.jpg (80 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
1449523576573.jpg
80 KB, 500x599
>>44493376
Sure. It'd be great to be some priest or whatever trying to teach a dumb rebel demon kid to be a Paladin on the sly from your own best inference, and watching them fuck up as they try their best.

Even better is that being a Paladin would probably neuter all of their powers, so they can't even fall back on that.

They'll probably end up getting their ass WHOOPED by some Blackguard, giving the shit a taste of their former life's medicine, and god knows most other Paladins who barely uphold the code would attack anyways. Good times for everyone.
>>
>>44517964
Would totally work. A wild child that got abandoned but somehow survived for plot reasons. Never developed psionics beyond basics. Probably still evil.

Wasn't there plenty of people theorizing that stuff like barbarian rage and paladin powers are just psionics anyway? It's close enough.
>>
>>44518003
>Even better is that being a Paladin would probably neuter all of their powers
Why would it do that? That's like saying a paladin is incapable of committing evil instead of just being unwilling to commit it.
>>
>>44518005
On a slightly related note, do Mind Flayer tentacles actually regrow if they are cut off?
>>
File: 1392013504525.jpg (89 KB, 800x1091) Image search: [Google]
1392013504525.jpg
89 KB, 800x1091
>>44518013
For a fun plot reason to not have a literal demon roaming around with all the other Level 1s? To teach the lesson of humility? To show that the very act of committing to the sacrifice of the Paladin, when you're a born being of living darkness, comes at a serious cost because this isn't playing around you little rebel petulant demon fuck?

C'mon man. A little critical and creative thinking.
>>
>>44518036
I actually like you anon.
>>
>>44518036
>For a fun plot reason to not have a literal demon roaming around with all the other Level 1s? To teach the lesson of humility? To show that the very act of committing to the sacrifice of the Paladin, when you're a born being of living darkness, comes at a serious cost because this isn't playing around you little rebel petulant demon fuck?
I don't like any of those. It's supposed to be a half-fiend, not a tiefling. If you're lumping it in with level 1 humans fresh off a farm then there's the problem. You should get the other players to also make outlandish characters instead.
>>
File: 1442222565227.jpg (154 KB, 650x919) Image search: [Google]
1442222565227.jpg
154 KB, 650x919
>>44518055
Well, I like you too. I'm just saying from a meta perspective it'd be a fine way for there to be a Demon Paladin, if allowing the holy mantle to fall on you comes at the cost of "Yeah sorry unless you fuck this up and go full Blackguard, you have none of those awesome demon powers now, welcome to the mortal game. You gotta do it like the rest of us."

Then you could have plot points where they do get some demon powers back. Only they seem weirdly bright and feathery now.
>>
>>44518075
Hey, you do what you want, it all depends on your system and game anyways. If I was setting this up though I'd use it as an excuse to have some grand demon lord's kid roaming with the dirt farmers and having to learn from knife-wound one to drag it out and start doing the right thing. That way you could have such an insane idea but still work it fine, and allow for some neat upgrades later when they're earned.
>>
>>44518096
No, see, you're "working it in" by just not working it in. That's the problem.
>>
>>44493376
say , because the demonic powers interfere with divine ones , they had to seal them away to allow here to be paladin without other problems

this makes her as powerful as regular paladin , but without "free demon powers"
>>
>>44493376
Aw fuck yes.

Someone get in that faggot son of a redneck who's undergoing a rebellious phase and being a tranny, the dwarven teenager who has decided to go sober and shave his beard, and a teenage girl who's sick of her mom's #yesallwomen bullshit and has decided to become a born again christian and engage ONLY in monogamous relationships with upper middle class white anglo saxon protestant men

We will be the TEENAGE-EST
*wears comfortable tracksuit IRONICALLY as commentary on how society expects irony to take the form of tight-fitting tshirts with logos on them*
>>
>>44518220
>the dwarven teenager who has decided to go sober and shave his beard
This one made me laugh more than the others, thank you.
>>
File: 1444783358848.png (4 KB, 569x146) Image search: [Google]
1444783358848.png
4 KB, 569x146
>>44518220
>entire party of what every culture and race considers their idea of a rebel edgy teen

OH GOD NO

YOU WOULDN'T
>>
File: 1322112881748.png (269 KB, 496x421) Image search: [Google]
1322112881748.png
269 KB, 496x421
>>44518220
>Christian girl ends up with the tranny
>Dwarf ends up adopted by elves who can't tell the difference
>Demon Paladin actually has to step up and control these dumbfucks and falls ass backwards into being a lawful party leader out of the sheer necessity to stay alive

A happy end, sure. But more importantly, we need maximum parental disappointment here.
>>
>>44518173
Don't the "free" demon powers come with a massive level adjustment or similar anyway?
>>
>>44493376
I'd love if being Divine was what demons considered 'edgy'

>Demon Lord: "Son, we really need to talk about this phase you're going through."
>Son (Wearing glowing armor with six wings of light and a halo): "It's not a phase dad, it's who I am!"
>>
>>44493376
See no problem in here. As long as she won't go lawful stupid or stupid good.

And I would make sure of it that she'd turn into legit lawful good.
>>
>>44493376
No. If you can't create an interesting character concept without becoming some supernatural being intimately related to the rulers of Hell, you should piss off.
>>
>>44518680
Maybe if she gets to a high enough level, she should face the personal challenge of whether or not she should smite her demon family members.
>>
>>44518693
I'm sure you are a fun guy to have as DM.
>>
>>44509662

Wouldn't have changed a thing, as Hellboy is completely irrelevant when discussing D&D where fiends are literally EVIL given form and will never be anything but evil.
>>
>>44518771
>fiends are literally EVIL given form and will never be anything but evil.
yes, and?
>>
That's fucking hilarious, the opposite would be cringeworthy
>>
>>44518818
And it makes Hellboy irrelevant and also makes this thread likewise irrelevant, since fiends don't have children (not counting Cambions, Tieflings or other beings that are NOT fiends) or any drive or interest to turn Good.
>>
>>44518771
He didn't mention D&D , so there's that.
>>
>>44518852

If no setting is specified, assume D&D. Especially with Paladins being mentioned.

Otherwise, again, we come to the conclusion of the thread being pointless since there's no fucking discussion to be had when without a specified setting you can't argue for or against. It's only "lol in my setting actually.." the thread.
>>
>>44518876

We still get that, because loads of people don't use the standard settings for their games.
>>
>>44518876
Time for a poser:
>Can a Paladin who follows a deity that is not strictly speaking lawful and/or good be called a paladin at all.
>>
>>44518919
That'd be a Cleric/Fighter
>>
>>44518975
So a demon kid who thinks they're a paladin, but really they're just a cleric/fighter. Also they're really bad at being a cleric.

I'd be down for this.
>>
>>44518841
No, see, what happened is, the demon child got hit by a permanent charm effect of a thrallherd, who likes goody two shoes paladins to corrupt.

So the demon goes and tries to be a paladin, so it can be corrupted again, but somehow loses track of that in the meantime.

EASY.
>>
File: 984653546.png (207 KB, 500x606) Image search: [Google]
984653546.png
207 KB, 500x606
>>44493376
>Would you let someone play the child of a demon lord who is now undergoing a rebellious teen phase and trying to be a paladin?
Why can't they just be a tiefling? Why do they have to be a teenage demon? Why do they have to be undergoing a rebellious teen phase? Can't they be young adults instead? Why do they want to be paladins? Why can't they just be awesome fighters with powers of darkness that use said powers to do good instead?

Also, why do they remind me of pic relates so incredibly much?
>>
>>44509914

Basically they're just going to be a bit weaker and have fewer skills, but as it's point-buy, that can easily be made up for with other advantages such as Luck, some kind of social status "child" (which comes with a lot of protection in many societies) and so on.
>>
File: 1450097330522.png (454 KB, 715x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450097330522.png
454 KB, 715x1000
So much buttmad from people who just scream "You arent doing my generic shit, its badwrong."

Any idea can work fine, if the player behind it is competent and the GM knows how to improvise and has imagination. But then we have to remember that neckbeard GMs in /tg/ cannot either improvise or have imagination.
>>
>>44493376
We're playing WoD though, and we agreed there'd not be more than one Lucifuge in the party.
>>
>>44509515
The biggest problem with your argument is assuming that crunch and fluff are the same and should be handled as such.

I'm more likely to be flexible if it has to do with roleplaying than I am with hard rules. The former is the meat, the latter the bones.
>>
>>44513174
>It's not like it pays better
Wait, seriously?
>>
>>44500092
>No, because rebelliousness is inimical to the ideals of a paladin, and taints their attempt with worldly desires. Same result as those who try to become paladins in search of fame, wealth, glory, or authority.
>Now, if the child's motivation is an honest, God-given calling to do Good, than they are welcome to join the order.
I was about to post that.

Indeed Paladinhood is not a "phase."
>>
>>44520995
It does. SOCOM offers some very nice reenlistment bonuses, like in the $100000 range nice.
>>
>>44516907
I did. He shows up in one episode just because Raven didn't get him anything for Father's Day.

The original was better, but Go doesn't take itself very seriously, so you end up with episodes like that and Leg Day.
>>
>>44496965
>Different than whoever posted before
>any paliden order who would turn away somebody just because of there species is not a true order

Paladin and Clergy orders can and will turn away anyone who they don't believe will spread their ideologies or will cause harm to their order. Or even if simply if they don't think the candidate will send the right message by appearance.

Which is NOT the same as turning someone away. If asked any order will likely prove aid, shelter, food, and other kinds of helps IF required. Helping a Demon child see the light of their chosen deity? Very likely the child will have some of the high priests aiding in it in such a conversation. However that doesn't mean a membership.

Now if the demon child just picked up a blade and started claiming themselves as a chosen of whatever power. No one can stop them. But again, doesn't make them part of an order.
>>
File: 1451629484598.jpg (440 KB, 1052x1436) Image search: [Google]
1451629484598.jpg
440 KB, 1052x1436
>>44493376
>a paladin?
Paladin of who?
>>
>>44520733
That's a lot of projecting right there. And I'm not even considering the fact that you included yourself in this, since you too are a fa/tg/uy.
>>
>>44521643
>That's a lot of projecting right there.
Not at all. This thread is pretty clear in its message.
>since you too are a fa/tg/uy.
I guess I am special then, when I let players suggest things instead demonize them for having imagination.
>>
>>44518013
Traditional Paladins are bound to justice and righteousness by their oaths. Whether or not it is their power source, their oaths are the keystone of their power, and if they break those oaths, they fall and lose their power.

It seems reasonable to say that because they are imbued with power derived from oaths of justice and righteousness, any intrinsic powers connected to or powered by elemental evil would cause some sort of internal metaphysical conflict. And because our ex-demon princess swore the oath of her own free will, perhaps that conflict will resolve in the favor of good, sealing her evil powers.

Whether or not her evil powers return if she falls is up for further speculation.
>>
File: 135468323457.png (167 KB, 393x349) Image search: [Google]
135468323457.png
167 KB, 393x349
>>44521692
>I guess I am special then
You have no idea
>>
File: a2c36149d692835591a664cc4e7ae6fb.jpg (426 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
a2c36149d692835591a664cc4e7ae6fb.jpg
426 KB, 1000x1414
>>44521873
This is /tg/, not /v/. Sorry buddy, I think you are more needed there.
>>
>>44521979
Your banter really needs more work. Perhaps you should stop thinking about your oh so speshul snowflakes and work on that a little bit more.
>>
>>44522016
Okay, you win. Everyone should play human fighters and elf wizards. Anything else is special snowflake for weeaboos. Man, your girlfriend must really love you since she sticks around with such an accepting and open minded person.
>>
>>44522099
>Everyone should play human fighters and elf wizards.
Great, now you're at assuming things already? Geeze louise, you're really a bright one aren't you?
>>
>>44520733
>>44521643
>>44521692
>>44521873
>>44521979
>>44522016
>>44522099
>>44522139
I'm not even sure who's trolling who anymore.
>>
>>44522149
Other one was atleast posting tits.
>>
>>44522149
Flip a coin
>>
>>44521112
So how would you roll that kind of pop ups in a show that does take itself seriously? Every time the demon dad comes he'd have to destroy something?
>>
>>44496616
>>Rebellious teen phase
>Fuck me, I can feel the shitty animu angst from here.
I remember playing character with that.
He ended up dying at the city, where his dad came to look for him.
>>
>>44522215
That's the only positive things he added to the thread, I agree.
>>
>>44522298
And the other was a whiny cunt.

Fuck this thread is a mess. Mods please.
>>
>>44522393
You must still be talking about the one posting tits.

I was only pointing out the flaws in his reasoning, so that he could stop being wrong.
>>
>>44493376
>female paladin
No.
>>
>>44522258
Maybe, possibly with him popping up at the BBEG's lair in a summoning circle telling her to be at dinner on Sunday or something before disappearing.
>>
>>44522459
>>44499444
>>44497010
I really like this concept: I think this would go very well with the game overall, if I had to run with it.
>>44501206
kek
>>
>>44522258
The whole premise wouldn't work in a setting that took itself seriously. The elder demon would just whack the kid over the head with one of its penises and tell it to go back to being a demon.
>>
>>44518707
Indeed. Have her face difficult challenges...but first she'd need to expand her wisdom and intellect, as well polish her moral views in order for her to avoid going into Black and White insanity.
>>
>>44493376
no. in my games the party consists of human rogue, dwarf fighter and elf ranger.

don't like it, go home
>>
>>44521858
>It seems reasonable to say that because they are imbued with power derived from oaths of justice and righteousness, any intrinsic powers connected to or powered by elemental evil would cause some sort of internal metaphysical conflict.
No it doesn't. A tiefling palading wouldn't have any of the tiefling bonuses in that case, but that's just not the case anywhere where they crop up.

The most you could get away with, if you ask me, is making any inherently evil powers completely not allowed for the half-fiend to use, or they fall. Sort of like a regular paladin shouldn't use poison.

>Whether or not her evil powers return if she falls is up for further speculation.
That's not how they work. They wouldn't go anywhere, she (?) just wasn't using them because of her oaths.
>>
>>44525772
Look at this mongoloid. This is what people in this thread are. No magic, nothing special. Just your grimderp normality.
>>
>>44496681
What if that was part of the character? They really are just a rebellious kid that doesn't understand the commitment they're making and thus must decide if they really will dedicate themselves to this or admit it's just a phase.
>>
>>44519417
Who is that in pic related?
>>
>>44528557
How DOES D&D treat heroes-in-training? It's a step above a level 0 commoner, but it's not enough to be a level 1 PC class.

I'd probably allow it if I scaled the game so that low-level characters are literally apprentices in some sort of Adventurer Academy or the like. Not an entirely serious campaign, obviously.
>>
>>44493376
If I trust the player not to fuck up too much, why not, just stat it as a tiefling I guess.
Just like many things depend on the setting, many others depend on the players.
>>
I like this.
Kid is dedicated to the idea, even though they have no idea what they're doing, later learning the truth of Paladins and possibly becoming one.
Meanwhile dad is mad but thinks it is just a phase, and they'll come and stay home for their bumps soon enough.
In the meantime he takes the role of a minor antagonist, causing problems in the world to tell them stuff like "family meeting next week".
I wouldn't make them the high king, though. Maybe a duke?
Thread replies: 201
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.