[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newbie DM needs advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: carrot.jpg (28 KB, 293x300) Image search: [Google]
carrot.jpg
28 KB, 293x300
I have a PC who used Intelligence as a dump stat. But whenever I throw a mystery, a puzzle, or any other situation that requires serious thinking at the party, the player will use his "real life" Intelligence to solve the puzzle with his character. How do I discourage that?
>>
>I have a PC who used Strength as a dump stat. But whenever I throw a locked door, a heavy weight, or any other situation that requires serious muscle at the party, the player will use his "real life" Strength to solve the puzzle with his character. How do I discourage that?

OP, you don't need to post a picture of yourself to make a thread.
>>
>>44486318
You're comparing apples to carburetors. Way to go.
>>
>How do I discourage that?

"If you don't stop doing this, I'm going to remove you from the group."
>>
>>44486273
"Alright, but now what would your character say or think?"
>>
File: 1391198760700.jpg (84 KB, 1062x574) Image search: [Google]
1391198760700.jpg
84 KB, 1062x574
>>44486273

"That is a very interesting thought there. A lot of moving parts going on. Now, how high was your int again?"

That or, y'know, talk to him like an adult and explain why this doesn't work the way he thinks it does.
>>
>>44486396
>You're comparing apples to carburetors.
How so?
>>
>>44486396
>You're comparing apples to carburetors. Way to go.
Rather, he is comparing carrots to animals.
>>
"Give me an Idea Roll?"

"But I just told you how to solve X."

"Yes YOU did but Fishsticks the Barbarian has an intelligence of 8, you fuck nut."

Also, at least change the OP image when you pull shit out of the archives. Some of us do in fact have a memory longer than 2 months and can identify a repost.
>>
Have him roll his intelligence. He has to pass the role to use his idea. Difficulty based upon how complex the idea is.
>>
>>44486631
So INT 8 characters are too dumb to think for themselves?
>>
>>44486631
Play literally what the fuck. A 9 is the same modifier as a 8 so are you saying that marginally below average citizens are too stupid to breath and fail to pick no on a "do you want to be murdered" quiz 12 out of 20 times because hey didn't roll high enough?
>>
>>44486903
Mechanically, a INT 8 character is not the power house of knowledge that his player wants him to be.

If the STR 8 bard cant lift a 90lb rock, the INT 8 meatstick cant solve every problem with his mind.
>>
>>44486972
Non elite monsters and npc's have an array of 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8.

The simpleton who put 9 or 8 into intelligence is not going to know the answer to King McGuffin's secret tomb door in the distant land of Makebelieve unless he went out of his way to find it before going on the adventure.
>>
Have a care about throwing things at the group that depend on real life intelligence to solve.
This is why puzzles generally don't work; it's not the characters solving it, it's the players.
>>
>>44486273
Generally what I do, is if I think it's a little above their intelligence, I say "But is your character smart enough to know that?" and make them pass an intelligence saving throw DC 10
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.