[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some nice non-traditional settings? I think those are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: Endless-Legend-Vaulters-Rush.jpg (783 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Endless-Legend-Vaulters-Rush.jpg
783 KB, 1920x1080
What are some nice non-traditional settings? I think those are pretty neat.

I'm a big fan of the Endless series' Auriga. It's from a video game, not anything /tg/, though I feel it could be a neat setting for a pen and paper game.

Auriga is a planet left in turmoil from the acts of an ancient race known as the Endless, they used it as a testing grounds and a research facility. In the events of the game Dungeon of the Endless, humans arrive on the planet from a crashed prison ship, these prisoners and crew members go onto to become the inhabitants of this planet, alongside a few other sentients, with the Draken, a race of humanoid dragons, being the only true native sentients of the planet, other species being aliens or products of genetic manipulation done by the Endless.

All magic in the universe stems from what they call dust, which also happens to be the universe's currency. Dust is actually a creation of the Endless, a type of nanomachine that reacts to those who know how to manipulate it, giving the impression of magic.

A lot of seemingly fantasy things have a sci-fi explanation to them, the massive bunker complex the Vaulters live in are the labs and facilities of the Endless, the Haunts, a minor faction of ghosts are actually the corrupted remnants of the Virtual Endless, a faction of the Endless that used dust to turn themselves into beings of energy and data, the Broken Lords are a faction that consists of animated suits of armor, sustained by the consumption of dust, or the life energy of living beings, they were reduced to this state by a mistake while researching dust, and had managed to virtualize themselves in the same way the Endless did, but without the proper technology to manage such a thing. Without a computer or anything to house their personalities they become bound to the only thing they had, suits of armor. The Cultists are a race of old Endless robots, commanded by their Queen, who is really an insane AI built to manage to worker bots.
>>
>>44483747

Well it all depends on what you call "traditional".

GURPS Infinite Worlds is pretty awesome IMO because you can segue into it from pretty much any other game, and use it as a framework to have any two games cross over.

Transhuman Space was non-traditional.... right up until games inspired by it came out (adding more edgy and magical gaming elements to make it more mainstream).

The more alien a setting, the more you need fiction to anchor it.
>>
File: n5KB6bi.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
n5KB6bi.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>44483747
>>
File: Endless_Legend_Artwork_6.jpg (261 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Endless_Legend_Artwork_6.jpg
261 KB, 1920x1080
>Vaulters

Tsk! You're a real fuckin' scrub, aren't you?
>>
File: 1438683355225.png (31 KB, 501x636) Image search: [Google]
1438683355225.png
31 KB, 501x636
>>44485440
>Roving Jews
>DECLARE WAR
>>
>>44485473

OY VEY! I SWEAR I'M NOT ATTACKING YOU! IT'S THOSE DAMN MERCENARIES!
>>
File: 1441234085491.png (718 KB, 903x595) Image search: [Google]
1441234085491.png
718 KB, 903x595
>>44485499
DOESN'T MATTER

DESTROY ALL WHO CAN BAN ME FROM THE MARKET
>>
>>44485529
Go ahead, declare war on me. That won't un-ban you from the market.
>>
File: 1437502748880.jpg (50 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1437502748880.jpg
50 KB, 500x375
>>44485560
If I completely wipe out your faction it will.
>>
>>44485602
I'll give you one chance, to guess exactly what isn't going to happen, in relation to what you said.
>>
File: 289130_2015-01-29_00001.png (2 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
289130_2015-01-29_00001.png
2 MB, 1680x1050
>>44485634
WAR
>>
>/tg/ has better video game threads than /v/

Typical.
>>
File: Swagger Lords.gif (81 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Swagger Lords.gif
81 KB, 400x225
Just busy earning.
>>
Frankly I've always wanted to play an RPG set on Auriga. Kinda writes itself.
>>
>>44487892
You know, just the other day I was wondering why anyone would use Alternity for a fantasy setting, and here we are. Break out the FX books and even if you want to go straight from Dungeon of the Endless to Endless Space, you're pretty much set.
>>
>>44483747

One thing I found interesting was that while dust gave the Broken Lords and Ended physical form, it's implied that they really are souls bound to what amounts to robotic bodies.

Though, why do the Broken Lords need dust to repair themselves while the Ended naturally regenerate?
>>
>>44485440

>They die
>Everyone that isn't the Vaulters or Broken Lords dies

>>44485529

That's why you don't get on his bad side.
>>
>>44490571
The Ended are true Virtual Endless, just corrupted. The Broken Lords had an improper and dirty virtualization and didn't actually know what they were doing, so it's a flawed process.
>>
>>44490595
>or Broken Lords
How do they survive?
>>
>>44491434

Presumably they either snuck aboard the Vaulters' ship or found one of their own, but one can rarely encounter them in Endless Space, confirming that at least some of them managed to get out of dodge. It's a bit saddening too, as had they actually gone through their quest completely they would have figured out how to save Auriga.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.