[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/ MTG Adversary General 6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 18
File: Newest Guide.png (763 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Newest Guide.png
763 KB, 1280x720
Adversary is a new, custom format for Magic: The Gathering intended to be played over Cockatrice.
Update 4 is live!

>How is it played?
http://pastebin.com/4JUSJp01
In Adversary, players select an Adversary card from an existing archive, or create their own. These Adversaries enter play from turn one, and possess abilities that change the way the game is played. If you've ever tried out Vanguard, you'll feel right at home. Adversary uses 61-card decks (including the Adversary card). The format is Modern Singleton.

>How are Adversaries balanced?
Each Adversary is assigned three values: a life total, a starting hand size, and a level. The life total and starting hand size are used to balance Adversaries based on the power of their abilities. In the event that they cannot be effectively balanced this way, Adversaries are also assigned a level, indicating that they are only suited for play against Adversaries of a similar level.

>How can I make my own Adversary?
Post your desired rules text, color identity, illustration and artist-to-credit in this thread and I might make it for you! Alternatively, make it yourself in Photoshop or an MTG card creation program. I will then add it to the .xml file and it will become available to everyone.

>What is Cockatrice and where do I download it?
http://www.woogerworks.com/

>Adversary Files and Installation Guide
http://pastebin.com/TCGtFAXF

>Player List
http://pastebin.com/m05wzSJF

>Level Guideline
http://pastebin.com/4fV7y17f

>Scorpio's New Photoshop Template
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qht78l5bjfunl7m/Adversary%20Template.psd?dl=0

>Obligatory Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTeRLM_ki84&list=PL1A0CA0B29E547F8A

>IRC
https://client01.chat.mibbit.com/
Server: Rizon [webirc] | Channel: #MTGAdversary

>Previous Thread
>>44428369
>>
File: Cards1.jpg (3 MB, 3720x2078) Image search: [Google]
Cards1.jpg
3 MB, 3720x2078
This update was 100% balancing changes, so here's a changelog:

>Ananta Seshou's life has been reduced to 25 from 30, and hand size has been increased to 4 from 3.
>Azchiti now needs to tap to activate his abilities. His level has been reduced to 2.
>The life cost for Bestel's tap ability has been reduced to 4 from 5. He no longer takes damage equal to damage prevented.
>Candidate now has to pay 3 life to tap a creature instead of 1. His first activated ability now costs {3}{B} from {2}{B}.
>Chroma no longer accumulates peace counters as turns pass without players losing life. Instead, she now pays {W}{U}{R}{B}{G} to put a peace counter on herself.
1/5
>>
File: Cards2.jpg (3 MB, 3720x2078) Image search: [Google]
Cards2.jpg
3 MB, 3720x2078
>Elania's starting life has been reduced to 12 from 16.
>Fina's starting life has been increased to 19 from 18.
>Flekto Magh must now tap to activate his ability.
>Hezornak's spell cost discount now affects Eldrazi spells, not colorless spells. His land exile ability costs 5 to activate, increased from 4. His creature wipe ability costs {7}, changed from {4}{B}{B}. His name has been changed from Hezornak, Planar Devourer to Hezornak, Dread Progeny, with his artwork changed to something more fitting for a level 4 (and less pixellated).
>Ignis has been overhauled. Instead of gradually putting -1/-1 counters on all creatures, he has a new ability. '{R}: Deal 1 damage to each creature and each player.'
>The cost of Jera's activated ability has been increased from {X} to {X}{X}, and he must now remove X order counters, increased from 1.
>>
File: Cards3.jpg (3 MB, 3720x2078) Image search: [Google]
Cards3.jpg
3 MB, 3720x2078
>Khan's starting life has been reduced to 22 from 30, and his color identity has changed to BRGW from WBR.
>Kypris' level has been reduced to 2 from 3.
>Lamahk's second ability now costs {2}{B}{B}, increased from {B}{B}.
>Mihails' ability now costs {4}, increased from {2}.
>Olag Nar must now tap to activate his ability.
>>
File: Cards4.jpg (3 MB, 3720x2078) Image search: [Google]
Cards4.jpg
3 MB, 3720x2078
>Reeve's starting life has been increased to 17 from 15, and his starting hand has been increased to 8 from 7.
>Runna's ability now triggers when she has 7 or less life, and she now gains 3 life instead of 4. Her starting life has been increased to 24.
>Seraph's hand size has been reduced to 6 from 7.
>>
File: Cards5.jpg (3 MB, 3720x2078) Image search: [Google]
Cards5.jpg
3 MB, 3720x2078
>Teren's ability now costs {X}{X} to activate, increased from {X}.
>Tulaway's level has been increased to 2. His ability now grants '{T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool' to all creatures he controls, rather than just Tulaway himself.
>Dralnu, Void Channeler's name has been changed to Urndal, Void Channeler, with his artwork also changed to distance him from the existing MTG Dralnu. His discount on instant and sorcery spells has been reduced to 1 from 2, while his level has been reduced to 2 from 3. His life total has been increased to 21 from 15 and his hand size has been increased to 9 from 7.
>Virgel must now discard a card in addition to tapping to activate her ability.
>>
With that out of the way, I will now be accepting new Adversaries. The rate at which new ones are added might be a little slower now so that balancing can still take priority. For example, it used to be that I was adding 15 new Adversaries per update. Now it will be somewhere between 5 to 10 new Adversaries. And as always, people who are actively playing Adversary on Cockatrice will take priority. (Sorry, Burger. You know we love you.)
>>
File: g1.jpg (785 KB, 4125x523) Image search: [Google]
g1.jpg
785 KB, 4125x523
well here's the full selection of dudes
I fixed a couple wording/balancing issues on a few of them
my top three are 2, 7, and 9, but I would prefer the one people like the most to be added
>>
>>44482706
>Elania in charge of living up to her fantasy (maybe just restrict it to combat damage?)
>Fina in charge of...
>>44482729
>Khan in charge of being level 2
>Mihails in charge of being useful
>>44482741
>Fina in charge of competing with other level 1s
>Seraph in charge of not being your waifu
>>44482756
Not sure if Virgel cares about the nerf. I suppose it doesn't matter much, at level 4.
>>
Just in time for the new year. I'm sad that I can't have muh instant mutation removal, but I suppose it's needed.
>>
>>44483074
>Iorah Karas the Sophist

>Adversary – (W/U)

>Whenever an opponent casts a sorcery or instant spell choose one:
• Detain target nonland permanent
• Counter said spell unless its controller pays (2).

>{22/6}

>"Rip and Tear" Igor, the Mad

>Hellbent – Creatures you control have deathtouch as long as you have no cards in hand.
>(R/B): Target player discards a card, then deals one damage to target creature or opponent.

>{26/3}

>Elsa, Selesnya Auramancer

>Adversary – (W/G)

>Whenever you'd cast an Aura spell, populate the target of said enchantment if you control it.

>{17/9}

>Forchak the Hateful

>Adversary – (R/G)

>Creatures you control have trample.
>Creatures in your hand have Bloodthirst X, where X is the combined ammount of damage dealt to all opponents this turn.

>{22/6}

>Salome of the Victory Cry

>Adversary – (W/R)

>Battalion – Whenever three or more creatures attack, they obtain protection from the color of your choice for this turn.

>{14/7}

>Tav Morek, Master Artificer

>Adversary – (U/R)

>Artifact spells you cast have replicate (2)(X), where (X) is their converted mana cost.

>{10/10}

>Moya, Wings of the Mardu

>Adversary – (W/B/R)

>Every creature you control attacks each turn if able.
>Raid – If a creature attacked this turn return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.
>Creatures you control have "(R): creature obtains +1/+0 until the end of turn".

>{26/7}
>>
>>44484673
Mistagged. Correct tag is >>44482788
>>
>>44484673
Small fix for Igor:

>Hellbent – Creatures you control have deathtouch and menace as long as you have no cards in hand.
>>
>>44484673
Another fix for Tav Morek

>Artifact spells you cast have replicate (U)(R)(X), where (X) is their converted mana cost.
>>
I still want opinions on my sliver Adversary

>Exxytat, Sliver Progenitor

>Adversary - (WURBG)

>Sliver spells you cast cost (1) less.
>(4),(T): Target creature is a sliver among other types.

>(15/5)
>>
>>44483074
6, 8 and Obstinate are the coolest. I don't think 6 needs the "any player" nerf on it though.
>>
>>44482788
Just two old pitches so that they finally make it in.

>Jareth, the Goblin King (3)
>Adversary – (B/R/G)
>Goblins you control gain +2/+0 and have haste.
>Whenever you cast a goblin spell add a Magic Dance counter on Jareth.
>Remove three Magic Dance counters from Jareth: Populate.
>"You remind me of the babe".
>{12/7}

>Na'Zaram, Lost Chronolord
>Adversary – (U/G)
>Skip your draw step and add a Timeshift counter on Na'Zaram.
>Remove a Timeshift counter from Na'Zaram, (T): Search a card from your library and add it to your hand.
>Remove three Timeshift counters from Na'Zaram: Gain a turn after this one.
>{20/10}

Na'Zaram ain't so broken as you may think. The need for lands makes sure you'll be frequently searching for them to keep your head above the water.
>>
>>44484812
What tier were you thinking? The 1 less stuff for slivers is kinda bananas.

Like you could just play Xenograft and/or Conspiracy and turn everything into Slivers. Anything costing (1) is now free. Absurdly dank as fuck Hexproof shit is now a Sliver too.

Pretty scary DESU
>>
>>44484812
I'd do just one change, lowering the price of the activated ability to (3)(T)
>>
Just downloaded the complete set, what's the deal with Entity? Are there extra purple cards besides Rift somewhere?
>>
>>44484971
but you can just shut someone out of the game for paying next to nothing
here's a fun scenario that assumes you go first
T1 land pass, 4 cards in hand
Other player plays land, you blow it up
T2 land pass, 2 cards in hand
Other player plays land, you blow it up and then deal 2 damage to him
rinse repeat in 2 turn intervals
assuming they have no one drops, leyline of sanctity, or some other junk, they are basically done
>>
>>44484812
>>44485023
Reducing the cost of the already cheap a/f sliver really is pretty damn powerful. Let my suggest an alternate ability instead.

>Creatures you control are Slivers in addition to all their creature types.

If you don't like it let me make a brand new pitch.

>Chucklefuck, General of the Allied Forces
>Adversary – (W/U/B/R/G)
>All creatures you control are Allies in addition to all their creature types.
>Cohort – Whenever activating an ability would require you to tap a creature you may tap another one you control instead.
>>
>>44485020
Hot opinions, coming in.

Issues with Jareth :
- Green?
- Stupid strong. +2 *and* Haste is crazy already, especially when you add essentially-free populate (rewarded for playing your deck the way you would anyway).
- Not to be no-fun-allowed, but I doubt anyone wants to put a literal-rip-from-a-movie character into Adversary. Opens the door to adding shit like Goku, Superman, etc. You should at least thinly attempt to veil your expy.

Suggestions : Remove either Green or Black depending on the flavor angle you're going for. Remove the +2. Make it so you have to {T} and remove 3 counters, so you can't just pull like 9 counters off and ejaculate directly into your opponent's face.

Na'Zaram is absolutely broken. You can just skip your draw step, add the counter, tap Na, look for a land, add it to your hand, and play it immediately. It basically reads right now as "Tutor whatever you want, for free, without any repercussion". You're still adding a card to your hand every turn, just like a normal player, except you get to look for it. How is that not broken?
>>
>>44485175
There are not. Entity is a one-off for novelty factor and setting the stage for possible (but not guaranteed) expansion on the purple concept later.

If you're a new player, post your Cockatrice name and I'll add you to the list, as well as introduce you to all the others.
>>
Also I'd like to announce Adversary tournament is a go.

It'll be celebrated in more or less 2 weeks from now, so if you haven't voted in the Adversary picking poll do so now.

http://strawpoll.me/6387629
http://strawpoll.me/6387782

I must write an email for the shop giving out all the details and they'll even give the event publicity of their own to get as much people to participate as possible, which means I may increase the amount of deck from 4 for levels 1-3 to 6 for levels 1-4.
>>
File: 1389445346993.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1389445346993.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
Since we need a bit of padding out in some areas, I'm gonna try to fill a slot;

Those of the Mire (1)
Adversary - B

Whenever a creature(s) dies, you may tap this card. If you do, search your library for a Swamp card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

17 / 7
Artist: George Kamitani

Name and art is placeholder of course.
>>
>>44485407
Wow. This is kind of an honor.
Make sure to print out the Adversaries as close as possible to the deadline, by the way, since more balancing will likely follow soon.
>>
>>44485407
>http://strawpoll.me/6387782

>Azchtchi is L2 now
>no option for Thrash

Shit list desu.
>>
>>44482729
That's one hell of a nerf for Mihails, isn't it?
>>
>>44485265
>Jareth
B-but my dank memes... Bowie is so cool too!

Also, he was designed to be lvl4. It was only later that I was told he should be lvl3. Maybe he should be left as it is and made a lvl4. We need a bigger lvl4 pool anyways.

>Na'Zaram
NERF INCOMING.

>Remove two Timeshift counters from Na'Zaram, (T): Search a card from your library and add it to your hand.

There, it should be balanced now.
>>
>>44485563
He could take infinite turns with one extra turn spell.
>>
>>44485407
Needs to be altered for the moved-around Adversaries.
>>
>>44485495
Maybe I should make a new poll including all the adversaries and allowing for multiple choices. You know what?, I'm gonna go ahead and do it.

Someone please list all lvl2, lvl3 and lvl4 Adversaries including Spike's for me pls. I can't remember them all from the top of my head.
>>
>>44485642
>>44485642
You know what?, I'll just make one list with all the Adversaries levels 1 to 4, that way it won't be affected by balance updates.

... List of all the Adversaries pls?
>>
>>44485756
You can find them all above in the 5 images I posted. The only one omitted is Entity.
>>
>>44485429
Quick change:
The ability now costs 2 life in addition to tapping Those of the mire, so it now looks something along the lines of;

"Morbid - Tap this card and pay 2 life; search your library for a Swamp card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library."

Or something to that effect, if someone could or would work it better, keyword optional but may make things look nicer.
>>
>>44485839
Morbid is only used for when a card ALREADY does something, and does something more/different with a death. For an Adversary, this should read

"Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may {T} Those of the Mire, and pay 2 life. If you do, search your library for a Swamp card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library."

I would personally make it non-token creature, and lower the life cost to 1 though.
>>
>>44485819
Oh ye. How were Spike's called tho?
>>
>>44486029
I'm not sure those are fit for a tournament.
>>
File: 194594_1.jpg (87 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
194594_1.jpg
87 KB, 265x370
>>44485970
>>
>>44485572
The problem now is that Na'Zaram is now uttlery fucked because he skips his draw step in order to gain a token. Your opponent gets two turns for every one he gets.

You should change it to :

>Na'Zaram, Lost Chronolord [3]
>Adversary – (U/G)
>You may skip your draw step. If you do, place a Timeshift counter on Na'Zaram, Lost Chronolord.
>Remove two Timeshift counters from Na'Zaram, (T): Search a card from your library and add it to your hand.
>Remove three Timeshift counters from Na'Zaram, (T): Gain a turn after this one.
>{20/7}
>>
>>44486141
Raise the hand to 10 and I think that might just be the perfect lvl5

I really want him to be lvl5.
>>
>>44486064
I want to add at least Karesh, he is my favourite Adversary.

I figured it'd be unfair to include him in the poll without includibg the others.
>>
>>44486264
Fair enough. One moment, I'll download them and tell you the names.
>>
>>44486264
Galossa, The Mother Tree
Karesh, of the Spiders Stategem
Morrow, Lich Seer
Tarrask, Roil Singularity
The Nameless King
>>
>>44486264
They aren't exactly perfectly fit, but if you insist.
Karesh, of the Spider's Stategem
Morrow, Lich Seer
Tarrask, Roil Singularity
Galossa, The Mother Tree
The Nameless King
>>
>>44486070
That card is silly. Why put the word Morbid on it at all if you're going to write the full text on it too?
>>
>>44486214
OH.

You never said he was level 5. My bad.

If it's level five, then yeah, let that nigga search for cards whenever he wants. The way you originally presented him is totally fine for level 5. Hell, he's probably fine as he was for level 4.
>>
Thrash {3}
Adversary {G/B}

At the beginning of your upkeep put put a 1/1 ooze tokens onto the battlefield, they have defender.

{G}{B} TAP: sac X oozes, and make a Big Slime token with the power and toughness of all oozes combined and gains, "when this token dies put X Ooze tokens with defender onto the battlefield where x is its power"

Reward combining, rewards sacing, rewards resaccing
>>
>>44486439
Is there a reason not to
>>
>NEW POLL NEW POLL NEW POLL
NEW POLL NEW POLL NEW POLL
>NEW POLL NEW POLL NEW POLL

http://strawpoll.me/6415327

The new poll is multiple choice and includes a selection of 30 Adversaries because it wouldn't let me add more.
>>
>>44486459
Yeah, he was created to enlarge and more or less define how powerful a lvl5 should be.

He's broken, but we need more broken niggas up there so people won't make niggas too broken.
>>
khan is balanced
>>
>>44482729
Would bumping Kypris up to level 3 but making her second ability trigger off any creature you control becoming monstrous work?
>>
>>44487884
Why would we want her at level 3 specifically?
>>
>>44488035
Could Ananta get a hand of 5?

1 card fo' head.
>>
>2016
>Still making le ebin year maymay posts

Happy new tear faggots.
>>
>>44488054
Ananta needs new fugging art
>>
>>44489227
Suck my dick his art is awesome.

Now but really, I picked his art for avariety of reasons, first off, the hoods that give it the serpentine aspect an hydra born and raised among the Orochi would be expected to have, then the tranquil aspect it has, very against the savagery of your average MTG hydra and very much like the learned scholar Ananta is and finally because the name comes from Vishnu's multi headed infinite cobra upon which he sleeps.
>>
>>44489748
But it's fucking already MTG card art you triple nigger.
>>
File: Bad ass dwarf by JMD3.jpg (86 KB, 640x535) Image search: [Google]
Bad ass dwarf by JMD3.jpg
86 KB, 640x535
I present to you the brainchild of me and Thug :

Dif, Impatient Drunk [1]
R

{T} : Draw a card, then discard a card at random.

20 / 8
>>
>>44482678
>Hexproof in WB
>Extra combat phases in Bant
The color pie, motherfucker, do you speak it?

>>44482678
>>44482706
>>44482729
>>44482741
>>44482756
>Tapping shit in the command zone
Not a thing. Only cards on the battlefield can be tapped.

>>44482706
>Granting static abilities of other cards
Don't do this ever. Xenograft would let you put Tarmogoyf and Lhurgoyf onto the same creature, and that breaks the game.

>>44482741
>Gaining life before the game begins
Just put a star in place of her starting life total and say that the die roll determines your starting life total. You can't gain life before life totals are determined--and, if you could, your life total would then reset to your starting life total, and you'd lose. Not to mention what she does to those cards that refer to starting life total in order to balance them for commander.

>>44482741
Restrictions on when you can activate an ability come at the end of the ability.

>>44482756
A paragraph is a single ability. Renown guy currently is written such that creatures you control without renow have renown 1 only when a creature you control becomes renowned.
>>
>>44490394
This is adversary, not EDH. There is no Command Zone here. Adversaries are not commanders. And they are not cards. They're comparable to Emblems in that they do not exist in any state related to the stack or board. Only the player of an Adversary deck can interact directly with his Adversary, with the exception of the stupid purple memes.
>>
>>44490419
>This is adversary, not EDH. There is no Command Zone here. Adversaries are not commanders. And they are not cards. They're comparable to Emblems in that they do not exist in any state related to the stack or board.
>Emblems
...you mean the things that exist in the Command Zone?
>>
>>44490457
>comparable to Emblems

Not "these are identical to emblems".
>>
>>44490419
If you're going to be making shit up for a game, you should at least learn how the game works.

Everything exists in a zone. All zones exist at all times, regardless of format. The Command Zone is where commanders go when not on the battlefield, yes, but it's also where Emblems, Schemes, and Planes exist. And where Adversaries would.
>>
>>44490523
Not that anon, and you're right here, but Adversaries are just kinda handwaved to be able to be tapped in the command zone.

I mean, just add a rule to the format.

>Adversaries can have counters placed on them and be tapped in the command zone.
>>
>>44490523

Considering that EDH existed before WotC decided to rip it off, call it Commander, and hijack the notion to even create the "Command Zone", you can get fucked.

And if Ob Nixilis can create an emblem that reads "You get an emblem with "{1}{B}, Sacrifice a creature: You gain X life and draw X cards, where X is the sacrificed creature's power."", I don't see what the big deal about creating TAPPABLE emblems is. It's still an activated ability.

And Adversaries go wherever the fuck we want them to. We could make a brand new zone, called the Adversary Zone, where only adversaries go, and where you can in fact, tap them.

New made up content = new made up rules.
>>
>>44490419
The rules literally specify that only permanents can be tapped. It doesn't matter what zone it's in, it's not a permanent unless it's on the battlefield. The action literally cannot be performed.
>>
>>44490582
Okay.

So a rule of Adversary is that permanents CAN be tapped.
>>
>>44490582
>Dumbrule 104.5
>Adversaries can be tapped while not being a permanent.

It's so intuitive, and you're being an anal fuck about a rule that doesn't break anything. Tapping an Adversary has *zero* detrimental effect to the other rules and interactions of the game.
>>
>>44490598
err. Adversaries can be tapped. It's just a rule.
>>
>>44490565
>>44490574
See >>44490582

Counters are fine, mind you--counters can go on cards in other zones, as per suspend, Lightning Storm, and Skullbriar.

It'd need to be a new keyword action, with a new symbol. Or you could just define adversary abilities such that only one can be activated each turn, like planeswalkers, and just drop the tap symbol.

But, unless they're permanents, no tapping.
>>
>>44490582
If you want to be super pedantic, we could just make a new symbol {F}, which is Flooping, and turn the card counter-clockwise instead of clockwise, which is for all intensive purposes, identical to being tapped, just in the other direction.

Would you feel better?

(I'm still not changing it)
>>
>>44490613
>>44490617
Why not make an adversary that lets you tap the top card of your library to do something, then? What's stopping you?
>>
>>44490631
Or. Alternatively. We just add a rule to the format that allows you to tap Adversaries regardless of which zone they are in, and don't fuck with new keywords or symbols.
>>
>>44490631
We're keeping the tapping, because it's intuitive, and limits it to once a turn without needing to write in all kinds of dumb reminder text and other shit.

Literally just needs an addendum in the Adversary Rule.

"Adversaries start play in the Adversary Zone. Things in the adversary zone can be tapped regardless if they are permanents or not."

Done.
>>
>>44490653
Nothing. Same way WotC could print a card that does the same thing, as card text always trumps the rules of the game.

But they won't do that for the same reasons we won't do what you describe.
>>
>>44490653
Nothing is stopping us. And we could. Maybe I will.

Maybe you could tap it and gain mana, but when you draw the card, it stays tapped sideways in your hand, and if you play it that turn, it comes into play tapped.

I'd actually be fine with this. It would untap on your untap step per normal by next turn if it stayed in your hand though.
>>
>>44490654
>>44490635
>breaking the rules for literally no reason, rather than figuring out how to make it work
Not a particularly inspiring trait to see in people aspiring to design something.
>>
>>44490683
>it stays tapped sideways in your hand, and if you play it that turn, it comes into play tapped.

I think I seriously want to make this a thing
>>
>>44490705
People are already playing the game, enjoying the game, and creating more content for it. It's not something WotC will pick up and steal like EDH, and if they do, then they can deal with it. It works fine as it is, and not one person has complained about it in the 50+ matches I've had.

I don't give a fuck if your autistic ass isn't inspired by any traits or not. Sod off if you don't like it.
>>
>>44490670
Actually? No. A card can tell you to do something, but the rules of the game can then prevent you. You can't discard a card if you have no cards in hand. It just fails to happen. Same thing would occur with "tap the top card of your library."

So...no, there's no analogy to what you're doing.
>>
>>44490736
Enjoy the same rise and fall as Tiny Leaders, then.
>>
>>44490746
There was absolutely no rule for having an EDH Commander start the game in play prior to WotC stealing EDH and making one.

You could not just have a card in a non-existent zone when the game started. People did it anyways. They did not rewrite the text of every single legendary to have it return to the zone when destroyed and cost two more. People did it anyway.

Just get used to it and relax. Tappable Adversaries are staying, regardless of how you feel.
>>
>>44490705
Not looking to inspire, and I'm not the curator of the format. Just saying that it's doable with a new rule, and that tapping Adversaries is probably more intuitive than pretty much any other solution we could dream of.

It's there already, after all.

>>44490746
Except in those situations, the rules of the game have no recourse when the action fails but to make your action fail.

If you added rules to facilitate what happens when tapping the top card of your library does, then you absolutely could tap the top card of your library.

>>44490772
Nobody playing and brewing for this format has any delusion of it going anywhere beyond the tiny niche of players it has. Certainly not going anywhere near the scale of Tiny Leaders.
>>
>>44490709
>>44490683
Doesn't work, for reasons other than he's talking about. Cards become new objects when they change zones. That IS a thing, and can't be changed without legitimately fucking a lot of things up. You'd never be able to draw another card because it would never stop being the top card of your library, and other weird shit.
>>
>>44490772
Tiny Leaders still gets played on Cockatrice, so, okay.
>>
>>44490800
It'd work fine.

Ever played Unhinged or Unglued? I shouldn't be able to make another player go buy me a drink, but I did. Just relax and stop being autistic.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 462x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 462x579
>>44490150
Shieeeeet. Post the card. Is it good card?
>>
File: OgIvYkq.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
OgIvYkq.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
>>44491466
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 375x523
>>44491509
It IS good card.

Apologies for any dumb shit I may or may not post, I'm gonna get high as FUCK. Stonna' fo evah
>>
>>44492013
>Can afford weed
>Can't afford a shitbox to play Cockatrice
>>
>>44492038
Dude.

Its a question of priorities.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>44492064
;)
>>
>>44492085
Dank.
>>
>>44492095
>Somagnum, the Herb Blazer

>Adversary – (G/R)

>(G/R)(G/R): Sacrifice a forest: Tap all non-green creatures. They don't untap during their controller's upkeep step and gain "(2): Untap this creature".
>(G)(T): Destroy all enchantments attached to target creature.

>{23/7}
>>
>>44493224
PD: by Burg. Pimp & Nerdy.
>>
>>44493224
>Damana, Attuned with the Roil

>Adversary – (U/R)
>Enchantments, instants and sorceries in your hand have "Surge – (X) -( 2) where X is this Spell's converted mana cost".

>{15/8}
>>
>>44493892
>Sanjid the Cowardly

>Adversary – (U/W/R in that exact order)

>Whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks you, you may return target creature you control to your hand.

>{30 he's hard to catch / 10 UR2SLOW}
>>
>>44494026
& Knuckles.
>>
>>44494026
>Raging Benjarl, the Rightfully Upset

>Adversary – (R/B/G)

>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under you control you may select a target creature an opponent owns. The two creatures fight.
>Whenever a creature you own fights, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

>{26/5}
>>
>>44494225
>Avatar of Me

>Adversary – (W/U/B/R/G)

>(T): Put a 6/6 legendary creature token named "You", it has Haste, Indestructible, Hexproof and Lifelink. Exile it at the end of turn.

>{20/7}
>>
>>44494351
>God of Fire – Manitou Djinn

>Adversary – (R)
>All creatures you control have "(R): Creature gains +1/+0 until the end of turn".
>Sacrifice a creature, (T): Gain (X) mana where (X) is equivalent to its converted mana cost.

>{10/12}
>>
>>44493892
>>44494026
>>44494055
>>44494225
>>44494351
>>44494631
Jesus.
>>
>>44494631
>Cheetus, God of Cheese

>Adversary – (G/W)

>As long as your devotion to (G/W) is superior to seven, creatures you control obtain "(4): This creature obtains +3/+3 and Lifelink until the end of turn".

>{27/6}
>>
>>44494873
Like?
>>
>>44495075
why
>>
>>44495233
Becuz.
>>
>>44495349
...Aaaaand I sobbered up. To bed I go.
>>
>>44495428
rip.
>>
>>44482788
Okay, here is my first shot at adversaries:

>Asgar, Phyrexian High Inquisitor

>Adversary - WBG

>{W}: Creatures you control gain infect until the end of the turn.
>{T}: Proliferate.

>15/7
>>
>>44495712
That should have been WUG (the white shard), since white is the center color in this.

And I can't really find a good picture for a phyrexian.
>>
>>44490394
>Extra combat phases in Bant
>The color pie, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Yes. It's called 'Finest Hour'.

>Granting static abilities of other cards
>Don't do this ever. Xenograft would let you put Tarmogoyf and Lhurgoyf onto the same creature, and that breaks the game.
I asked people to provide me with possible Fina gamebreaks two threads ago, and nobody was able to. All of the cards you've mentioned aren't in Fina's color identity, so she can't use them.

>Pim, Trilias and Seraph concerns
Thank you, I'll be addressing these in the next update.

Saving the most unprofessional response for last:
>Not a thing. Only cards on the battlefield can be tapped.
First they weren't permanents, so people complained that permanents can't be tapped. Then they were permanents, so people complained that they couldn't be targeted. Then they were put in a new zone called the Adverse Zone where they were permanents that could be tapped but couldn't be targeted, and people complained about not using the Command Zone. Then they were put in the Command Zone, and now people are complaining that cards in the Command Zone can't be tapped.

I understand your complaints, but at this point it has become abundantly clear that there is no way to do this that won't trigger people. I have changed the rules like a dozen times in response to people's complaints, and everytime it just inspires a new set of complaints.

I don't want to be rude, but here is a thought: as a custom format without official Wizards support, it is IMPOSSIBLE that Adversary will ever fit neatly within the existing rules. Impossible. No matter what we do or how we do it, there will ALWAYS be a conflict of some sort that people can point out. It is inevitable.

So let's just accept that fact and roll with the least distracting handwave, or at the least the handwave that has most recently been established following a chain of all-encompassing complaints.
>>
>>44495712
Interesting idea. What about a static 'creatures you control have infect' ability, accompanied with the activated proliferate at, say, {1}{W}{U}{G}?

Then again... If you were going to pick an Adversary like this, your first thought would probably be to include existing Infect creatures in it, if only because it makes sense in a Phyrexian deck. The ability essentially takes any thought out of deckbuilding because your creatures are going to synergize no matter what.

If you could come up with an ability that capitalizes on Infect while still forcing you to build an effective Infect deck to begin with, that would be more appealing. The problem there is that making Infect any better than it already is could shoot you straight up to level 4.
>>
>>44498753
Thanks for the feedback.

I thought about reducing colors to avoid level 4, making the adversary pure white. White also solves my art problem, since Elesh Norn is the face of white Phyrexia.

Gating the player out of G and B makes Infect not so damn effective. There are still enough viable artifacts creatures with infect and and some white creatures.

All in all I like her in the current form. The Counter ability is over-costed by design, since proper deck building should get you around it. It is basically a panic button.

>Elesh Norn, High Inquisitor
>Adversary - W
>Creatures you control with +1/+1 counter on them have Infect.
>{3}{W}: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
>15/7
>Artist: hyperionwitch
>>
>>44499816
Just thought about it... This seems more interesting:
>{W}{W}{T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
>>
File: elesh-norn.jpg (86 KB, 620x509) Image search: [Google]
elesh-norn.jpg
86 KB, 620x509
>>44499816
I found of her a picture I like more. Especially since I realized that the one I picked before looks underwhelming in a card frame.

I made slight adjustments. I have no real idea how strong she could be.

>Adversary - W
>Creatures with +1/+1 counter you control have Infect.
>{W}{W}, {T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
>15/6
>>
>>44501327
That looks like it could be wicked nasty and pretty fun to play, but I would have to test it to know how nasty.
Mono White Infect also happens to be my favorite infect as well.
>>
>>44493224
>>44493892
>>44494026
>>44494225
>>44494351
>>44494631
>>44495075
... Despite the... Uh... Oddities of these entries, they actually are quite original. They have fairly creative concepts in both mechanics and flavor and seem both simple & fun.

I mean, they'd need changes...

... But it just might work.
>>
friendly reminder to talk about the game
>>
>>44501969
Fixed, undank versions

>Somagnum the Herbalist

>Adversary – (G/R)

>(G/R)(G/R): Sacrifice a forest: Tap all non-green creatures. They don't untap during their controller's upkeep step and gain "(2): Untap this creature".
>3(G)(T): Destroy all enchantments attached to target creature.

>{23/7}

>Damana, Attuned with the Roil

>Adversary – (U/R)
>Enchantments, instants and sorceries in your hand have "Surge – (X) -( 2) where X is this Spell's converted mana cost".

>{15/8}

>Hans the Cowardly

>Adversary – (U/W/R)

>Whenever a creature an opponent controls attacks you, you may return target creature you control to your hand.

>{22/7}

>Benharl, Raging Berserk

>Adversary – (R/B/G)

>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under you control you may select a target creature an opponent owns. The two creatures fight.
>Whenever a creature you own fights, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

>{26/5}

>Avatar of Me

>Adversary – (W/U/B/R/G)

>(5)(T): Put a 6/6 legendary creature token named "You", it has Haste, Indestructible, Hexproof and Lifelink. Loose 1 life for every point of damage taken by "You". Remove the token from play at the end of turn.

>{20/7}

>God of Fire – Manitou Djinn

>Adversary – (R)
>All creatures you control have "(R): This creature gains +1/+0 until the end of turn".
>Sacrifice a creature, (T): Add (X) mana to your mana pool where (X) is equivalent to the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost.

>{10/12}

>Etchesus, God of Growth

>Adversary – (G/W)

>As long as your devotion to (G/W) is superior to seven, creatures you control obtain "(3)(G): This creature obtains +3/+3 and Lifelink until the end of turn".

>{27/6}
>>
>>44501327
I couldn't located the creator of this image. But I found another beautiful Elesh drawing. If someone could help me to put this into a card. I don't have access to photoshop. I usually use MSE to create my magic cards.

>Adversary - W
>Creatures with +1/+1 counter you control have Infect.
>{W}{W}, {T}: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
>15/6
>Artist: Side34 (deviantart)

>>44501810
Thanks, and good to hear. :)
>>
File: elesh_norn_by_side34-d7nl0kt.png (592 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
elesh_norn_by_side34-d7nl0kt.png
592 KB, 1000x707
>>44506612
argh forgot the picture
>>
>>44501327
That's official MtG art.
>>
>>44507587
I have never seen this card, or never noticed it. But yes that would explain my trouble to find a clear source for this image...

Anyway I like the new one I found better and it features non-professional artists which is a plus in my book.
>>
>Actually read yeaterday's posts
I'll never go into 4chan high again.
>>
>>44507905
thank jesus
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.