[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GURPS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: GGv03.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GGv03.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Too much math edition.

Previous thread: >>44319350

GURPS 4th edition Books:
https://mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ
https://mega.nz/#F!RcJUHApY!uVGhU1FAZaWQAURsfrOgyQ!8cgQgBpL

Older Books:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qiq29z073l9zs/GURPS
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fvkg5h94x1k1m/GURPS

Additional resources in the PDF.
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 06.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 06.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Latest version of the vehicle collection. Now with watercraft!
>>
File: 1433814488084.png (2 MB, 3242x1741) Image search: [Google]
1433814488084.png
2 MB, 3242x1741
I always thought it was not really possible to have a monster that could challenge modern military fire teams directly without nonsense like force fields or outright invisibility.

Then I saw this abomination.
>>
File: Statblock - Predator - MH5.png (3 MB, 2739x1473) Image search: [Google]
Statblock - Predator - MH5.png
3 MB, 2739x1473
>>44482338

Monster Hunters is all about challenging a party of 400+ point murder machines.

Even for those guys a Chryssalid-Xenomorph hybrid is a bit of a scare, though they really slowed down their reproduction cycle. I'd be quite tempted to ramp it back up.
>>
>>44482298
Do you need any help with vehicle collection? I want to try my hand statting some stuff, like helicopters.
>>
Hey guys, what's the best way to represent a trigger that is required n times?
For example, injury is considered a very common, dangerous trigger, so it is worth -15% if one injury is enough to trigger the effect. What if an effect requires three injuries in short order?

I used this formula:
1-(1-value of trigger limitation)^quantity_needed_for_trigger = 1-(1-.15)^3 = 38%.
The other thought is that I could consider it a less common trigger than simple injury, and just move it up the scale from very common to either common or occasional, in which case it would be either -30%, or -45%.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>44483763

That would be great!

Do you need any guidance about how to do it or are you confident enough to just get on with it?
>>
Hey GURPS general, what advantages do I need to create a classical "energy being"? I guess Insubstantiality is a given, but what else should it have?
>>
>>44485447

Look up "Elemental meta-traits" on page 262, a fire elemental is pretty much the same as an energy being, right?
>>
File: yes, yes I am.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
yes, yes I am.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>44485656
>a fire elemental is pretty much the same as an energy being, right?
I... don't know? Is it?
I mean, fire is actually plasma right? Ionized gas in which the electrons break off of their orbits, yadda, yadda... or am I wrong?
I don't remember learning this at school.
Stupid third-world public education.
>>
>>44484460

Probably best to just class it as whatever category seems like the best fit. Adding more math to a number which is pretty much just someone's guess in the first place seems pointless. I'd just say 'common'.

>>44485447
Depends on what exactly you think a 'classical energy being' can do... the only thing which seems really essential is that it's either got Insubstantiality (possibly with a limitation that it can still be hurt by some forms of energy) or Injury Tolerance (Diffuse).

Most energy beings should have Doesn't Breathe. Fire elementals and the like will reduce that to Oxygen Absorption. Many of them will have Doesn't Eat or Drink and if they don't they will have a feature that they 'eat' some kind of energy.

Immunity to Metabolic Hazards seems likely for most of the ones in fiction, although I could imagine that there are equivalent things to poison and bacteria in the 'ecosystem' of evolved energy beings. However, in most sources Energy Beings tend to be normal aliens who have 'ascended to a higher plane of existence' so they probably don't have energy germs.

Doesn't Sleep would seem to suit them, as would Unaging. Energy Beings are meant to be beyond the limitations of the flesh.

I don't think you need vacuum support, improved g-tolerance or pressure support if you are insubstantial. If you do need them, then most energy being will have them.

Energy beings in fiction all seem able to float wherever they fancy, so Flight (Space Flight) will be near universal.

They also tend to have pretty impressive mental abilities. High IQ, Indomitable, Unfazeable, Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator, 3-D Spatial Sense, Absolute Timing, Compartmentalised Mind and a shit load of psi powers would be pretty standard.

Finally, they often have the full range of arrogant-alien disadvantages. Callous, Clueless, Code of Honor (Non-interference in the material world), Disciplines of Faith (Mysticism), Hidebound, Intolerance (Lesser Beings), Low Empathy, etc...
>>
>>44485805

Fire is mostly just hot, glowing gas and dust. Very hot fire might contain some plasma, but most of what you see coming out of burning wood is just normal matter.

Of course sci-fi energy beings aren't really made of energy in the sense of magnetic fields and photons. They are basically just space ghosts.
>>
>>44485805

What people usually mean when they talk about "energy beings" is beings made of "energy", but the problem is, energy always has to have a form, be it kinetic energy, radiation, potential energy, chemically bound energy, or whatever. Humans for example contain a LOT of energy in various different forms.

"Pure energy" and thus "energy beings" doesn't make sense, even as a concept. The energy has to have a type, and this is usually radiation (photons, heat, like for example Marvel's Living Laser) in which case Fire Elemental template is close, but it could be any other form of energy really. (for a kinetic energy being, you could have a swirling whirlwind, replace the burning aura with a crushing one, for energy bound as mass and chemical reactions, you get for example a human).
>>
>>44485428
Of course! I found some guidelines in Pyramid Vehicles, but I would like to know how do you do it.
>>
>>44486413
>photons
Wait. Photons are the particles that make up light, right? So instead of saying that it's a "energy being" would it be more plausible to say that it's a being "made of light"? Which is basically the same thing as almost every alien who is said to be a "energy being" or "ascended to another level of existence" is basically just a fluorescent lamp.
>>
>>44486242
>>44484460
I hashed it out with someone else a while ago. The consensus we drew was Occasional due to the setting having a lot of fighting, but not a lot of opportunities to sustain that many wounds in such a short amount of time.

So the answer I went with, "depends on the setting," and for myself specifically, "occasionally."
>>
>>44486570

OK, first of all you need to try and find the following information about the vehicle you want to stat up: Empty weight (without fuel and supplies, but including fittings). Carrying capacity (people and cargo) or maximum weight. Fuel tank capacity and typical fuel consumption. Thickness of hull or armour (i's not usually possible to get this information for civilian vehicles, but it's generally not important for them). Maximum speed. Some measure of acceleration or something that can be used to calculate it (like motive thrust). Size. Cost (when new).

Now you can calculate your stats.

We start of with ST/HP. This is derived from empty weight. Make sure you have accounted for the weight of fuel, etc. when calculating empty weight. Also, be careful if weight is listed in tons, because there are two kinds of ton: short tons (2,000 lbs) and long tons (2,240 lbs.): try to check the weight in kg if you aren't sure which your source is using.

The formula for ST/HP is ((w^(1/3))*4) where w is the empty weight in pounds. That is, you take the cube root of the vehicles weight and multiply that by four.

Then work out the Load. This is just the weight which the vehicle would usually be carrying when fully loaded in short tons. Assume each person onboard is 0.1 ton and cargo is 100 cubic feet per ton. Don't be too concerned about cargo being just right; assume the 200 lbs. per person covers glove compartments, hand luggage, etc. Round off to the nearest 0.05 tons. Don't include fuel in this number.

Then do the LWt. this is simply the total loaded weight in short tons. Add the Load figure to the empty weight and include the weight of any fuel, etc. that would usually be carried.

SM just needs you to know the longest dimension of the vehicle and look it up on the size/speed/range table. Remember to use the higher number if it falls between two values and add +1 SM for boxy objects like cars (aircraft usually aren't boxy enough to count, I think)
>>
>>44486413
At least I would say that "energy being" refers to something that lacks rest mass.
>>
>>44486656
Photons make up all radiant energy. Radio waves, microwaves, light. As far as 'pure energy' creatures, I suppose you could say they are patterns of energy kept ordered either by their own gravitational and electromagnetic effects or via a material container.

In the latter case, you might call a AI a 'pure energy' creature that lives in the environment of a computer. Something similar might be a light creature that lives in a crystal or mirrors.

But yeah, just a floating blob of glowy shit with magic powers doesn't make very much sense.
>>
>>44486570
>>44487767

Occ. is simply how many seat/spaces there are for people. the first number is the crew needed to operate the vehicle and it's systems (including navigators, radiomen, gunners, etc.) and supervise or care for them (officers, cooks, surgeons, etc.) the second is for passengers and crew who aren't needed to operate the vehicle (stewards, marines).

Range is a little bit tricky. Sometimes the source will list the range, in which case just use that. If you have a miles per gallon figure you can multiply that by the fuel tank capacity (but make sure you are using the same gallons for both). If you don't have that, you can try to estimate using GURPS Vehicles. Look up the type of engine and how much power it produces to see what it's fuel consumption per hour would be. Then multiply fuel consumption per hour by cruising speed (see Basic Set page 466 for cruising speed guidelines). Assume road travel for land vehicles.

Cost usually requires some research. Once you've got a price, you need to convert it to GURPS dollars. I use the website measuringworth.com - GURPS$ are equivalent to 2005 US dollars.

Locations just need to be looked up on BS p. 463.

DR is slightly tricky. The guideline is that 25mm of RHA (a type of steel armour) is equal to DR 70. Get an average figure for the front facing and the rear and side facings. If the veihcle isn't armoured, just give it DR 3-8 depending on how tough it seems, usually 4.

Move might require some calculation. Top speed is usually fairly easy to find, just remember that it's in yards per second. Basic move is harder. If there's a listed 0-60 mph speed, you can use that to calculate basic move: roughly 30/a where 'a' is the 0-60 time. If you don't have a published number for acceleration it's a bit more difficult. For an aircraft you can estimate basic move with (t/w)*10 where t is the motive thrust and w is the vehicle weight (it doesn't matter what units, so long as they are both the same).
>>
>>44488129
Helicopter (forward) thrust is about 1.6 lbs. per kW of motor power, apparently. If you don't know the motor power, then divide the rotor's lift capacity by 10 to estimate it.

HT is a matter of guesswork, mostly. Go with 11 if in doubt. If the vehicle has a reputation for being very reliable, 12, if it's delicate or unreliable 10. High-performance vehicles are usually 1 worse.

Hnd./SR is also mostly guesswork. Use existing statlines from published materials as a guideline. Really big things generally have lower Hnd. and higher SR. Pyramid 34 might be helpful.

Finally, you need to do a write-up. Describe the vehicle. Give a few notes about it's history and what makes it interesting or significant. Write it's country of origin (if not sure, go with the country of whichever company built it; so a ford van which was designed in Britain by a German and built in Brazil is still listed as USA) and the years it was produced (from the first one being available to the last, don't include when it was being built but not yet available).
>>
>>44488361
Here is a link to GURPS Vehicles in case you want to look up some stuff in there.

https://mega.nz/#!S11GSDAZ!68jVudMr9frioOg82iDn0DS-OE8l7VTM21aJt-hfDAw
>>
File: uh13-i.jpg (9 KB, 355x198) Image search: [Google]
uh13-i.jpg
9 KB, 355x198
>>44487767
>>44488129
Okay, let me try that step by step with H-13.

Empty weight: 827 kg (1823 pounds)
Carrying capacity: 1 passenger or 2 litters. Max takeoff weight is 2950 lb.
Fuel tank capacity: 216 liters. Range is 416 kilometers
Thickness of hull - what hull?
Maximum speed - 169 km/h.
Some measure of acceleration - well, I found the motor power (227 kW), so we can work with that. I also have climb rate (244 m/min)
Size - 9.90 by 2.72 meters.
Cost - $38K in 1953 (around $280K in 2005 dollars).

Now, the stats.
TL 7
ST/HP 49
Hnd/SR +2
HT 11f
Move 2/51
LWt. 1.5
Load 0.5
SM +4
Occ. 1+1 (1+2 with litters)
DR 3
Range 258 miles
Cost $280K
Locations GH2R
Stall 0

And, by the way, my calculations check up with existing helicopters in High-Tech! I'll compile tables and writeups into .doc when finished. Right now, I'm planning to write at least Fl. 282, UH-13/Bell-47, Bell 206, Mi-8, Chinook, Mi-26 and Apache. If I manage to finish this, I will try to write more helis (I want more attack helis and some European helis).
>>
>>44488843
Looks pretty good. Only problem I can spot is the Load.

If max takeoff weight is 2950 lbs, fuel is about 380 lbs. and empty weight is 1823 lbs, then there is only about 750 lbs. for carrying capacity, so Load should be 0.4 I think.
>>
>>44489126
Yeah, right, it was actually 0.44, but I rounded it up for some reason.
>>
>>44488129
Important question:
>For an aircraft you can estimate basic move with (t/w)*10 where t is the motive thrust and w is the vehicle weight
Is this loaded weight?
>>
Hey, don't die on me
>>
>>44482338
Oh
My
Fucking
God

That is glorious and being used in my next session.
I was struggling to find a nice alien otherworldly enemy to throw at cyberpunk in tl9^ fighting elder cults, but this is amazingly fitting :D
>>
File: vought-sik_vs-300.jpg (34 KB, 452x270) Image search: [Google]
vought-sik_vs-300.jpg
34 KB, 452x270
>>44489126
Okay, Vehicular anon. I finished everything but attack helicopters for now. Some notes:
1. Formatting sucks. I assume that you would format it as you want when you put it into your PDF.
2. I wasn't sure whether acceleration is calculated with empty or maximum weight, so I calculated both. Values in tables are for empty weight, if I'm wrong and it's maximum weight - just replace everything higher than 2 with 2.
3. I wasn't able to find some prices. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Also, Mi-26 is a fucking bargain. Also I need to find specifications for CH-47A, so we could have a TL7 heavy helicopter.
4. I may add some helicopters, I need to decide which ones. Huey is obvious choice, but I also want some non-American and non-Soviet helicopters (good thing I found about Puma, it is really great helicopter for adventurers). Some Russian non-Mil helicopters would also be nice.
5. Attack helicopters. They require most effort - they are chock-full of electronics (and I am already skimping too much on them), and they require new weapons. Still, it seems that I need to stat at least four vehicles:
AH-1 Cobra - because it's the only TL7 designated attack helicopter
AH-64 Apache - because it's most produced attack helicopter
Ka-52 - because it's Russian helicopter not made by Mil, and it is exported heavily
Eurocopter Tiger - because we have too much American and Russian stuff already.

https://mega.nz/#fm/6U9FDJLT
>>
Don't lose the thread, guys
>>
How do you guys think a Hotline Miami campaign could be worked?
>>
>>44493971
Awesome stuff, Anon.

I always calculate accel with top / normal load weight. This might be a bit inconsistent with acceleration calculated from 0-60 figures which are usually done with only a driver, but I think the formula is a little generous anyway so it should balance out. Since aircraft are almost always calculated by the formula and cars almost always by 0-60 figures (and use a different formula anyway) it should keep things consistent within the classes and that's the most important thing, I think.

Prices for military stuff are often difficult to find and problematic anyway; the 'unit cost' can be much higher than the export cost, because the government usually has to cover the development costs and various forms of 'pork' added. In most cases PCs aren't going to be buying helicopter gunships and the like anyway; they will simply be given them. Once we've got a few examples, we can probably guess a reasonable price. Worst case scenario, we use the prices from Mass Combat.

Several of the vehicles I did have mostly guesswork prices: the Panzer II, Kettentrad, Präsident, Electrobat, most of the buses, the desert patrol vehicle and the UAZ. There are a couple of bikes I haven't even entered a price for. I tried using Vehicles to estimate the prices in some cases, but I'm not convinced it's any more accurate than simply picking a reasonable looking figure.
>>
>>44493971
>https://mega.nz/#fm/6U9FDJLT

That link doesn't seem to go anywhere, Anon. Did you mean to like to a copy of your vehicles?
>>
>>44498849
Hmm, weird. Try this link then
http://rghost dot net/7ZVwHBR85
>>
>>44500379
>http://rghost dot net/7ZVwHBR85

That works. The write-ups look good, Anon.

I'm currently researching fighters and ground attack planes, trying to decide which ones to write up. I got held up for a bit on watercraft and eventually decided to take a break because it was proving frustrating trying to find good data.
>>
>>44500853
>ground attack planes
IL-2, Stuka, A-1 Skyraider, Su-25, A-10, Super Tucano
>>
>>44496546
Lots of ultraviolence. It's already broken down to 1 second combat, so make sure you players have a poor sense of reality and let them buy up brawling and targeted attacks to crazy levels.
>>
Don't you die on me
>>
File: 0_b2725_4996a5f0_XL.jpg (69 KB, 800x541) Image search: [Google]
0_b2725_4996a5f0_XL.jpg
69 KB, 800x541
>>44500853
Phew! I'm done with helicopter stats, aside from some prices. I added UH-1 (because it's so iconic) and Ka-26 (because it's too fun not to add, plus Kamov deserves more respect). Also all attack helicopters. Only thing left is weapon stats.

http://rghost dot net/85bDSz4Mw

Right now I need:
M197 cannon (I think I can make it out of Vulcan)
Hydra 70 pods (I also can make them out of existing pod from HT)
Three 30mm cannons which I have no idea how to make (if only I had stats for at least one 30mm cannon)
AGM0114 Hellfire missiles
Russian anti-tank and AA missiles
Russian 130mm unguided rockets
>>
>>44504788
Quick-and-dirty method of doing weapon damage is to find a similar weapon in a smaller calibre and just multiply damage by the difference in projectile diameter. So if you have a 20mm gun with a 70 calibres long barrel and you want to find the damage of a 30mm gun with a 70 calibres barrel, just multiply the 20mm damage by 1.5. This works for shaped charges too (so long as the explosive type, relative charge mass, etc. are all the same) but normal explosions are more like d^1.5 (i.e. square root of [relative diameter cubed]) and fuck knows how they do frag damage.

The vehicles book has a more detailed system, but explosive damage is a bit different in 4th ed, so be cautious.

Or (for solid projectiles only, so limited use when designing missiles, etc.) google 'gurps ballistics' for some serious math.
>>
So does DF work for most fantasy campaigns, or is it exclusively dungeon crawling? Also, is it good?
>>
>>44506143
>So does DF work for most fantasy campaigns
Despite what SJGames themselves think, yes, very yes. Use templates from Henchmen if default templates are too strong for you. Hell, you can use those templates in historic and even TL5 campaigns!
>Also, is it good
It's best thing that ever happened to GURPS
>>
Do you think a lifepath system a la Traveller would work with GURPS? What about a wfrp style career advancement thing
>>
>>44506504
What's more important is
"would a life path system work for you in your game?"

GURPS can handle whatever you want it to. If you want your players to have randomly determined life paths, then by all means go ahead. As long as they're on board with it too.
>>
>>44506504
>What about a wfrp style career advancement thing
You can already use DF to have something similar - GM can limit players to take advances only from their template and DF:Power Ups. I think you can do something similar with Henchmen - you must choose yourself both 125-point template and fitting 250-point template, and you can switch to 250-point class as soon as your character get minimum requirements for it.
>>
>>44506143
What sort of fantasy campaign were you thinking of? Most people tend to gravitate towards dungeon heavy if not dungeon exclusive campaigns (e.g. track the necromancer through his catacombs, find the secret cure in the ruins of Ak'Tech, get the shrine maiden to the Nymph's Tear crystal situated at the bottom of the Temple of Deep Water, etc.), which are just fine for DF; a party of three to six adventuring types visiting exotic, dangerous, and monster-filled locales work with DF, whether they're there for loot or plot reasons. Most of the rules and assumptions are there to make adventuring fun, profitable, and easy to play out; it ignores most of the realistic bits of GURPS and outright tells you "no you can't do X because X is too boring/complex for ass-kicking adventurers," especially in terms of economics.

Now, if you want your game to be The West Wing: Elves and Dwarves Edition, DF isn't the best thing to use, as again most of the rules cut down on non-adventuring stuff like talking to people, hashing out trade agreements, and plotting out the most economical caravan routes.

>tl;dr if your campaign-in-the-making would make sense as a D&D game, it'll work in DF

Also yes DF is hella awesome.
>>
>>44506504
Action 4: Specialists breaks up the templates into a 100-point base template (to ensure you have enough basic universal competency to survive a cinematic action-move game) and a bunch of mini-templates worth 25-50 points. You could then divide them up into lifepath segments (depending on how you answer "where did your character grow up?" you would pick one of a handful of packages before moving onto the next segment).
>>
>>44506504
Yep.

I made a bunch of 5-10 point career package templates (some of which included stuff like "3 points to put towards Combat Reflexes" so you could stay in the occupation for 5 years and come out a vet or pay 12 points out of pocket and be a natural after 1 year). I also used the motivational lenses from Monster Hunters.

It all worked like a charm. For the annual lifepath events (ala Cyberpunk 2020, et al) you didn't have to buy a beneficial option (think more that it unlocked an opportunity) but you did get any negative options rolled (but could buy them off with points). I really liked how it worked and my players seemed to also. I recommend you give it a try.
>>
Anyone have DF guilds?
>>
>>44507760

Not that guy but I'd like to see your stuff if you've still got it.
>>
How do you deal with the situation where some characters in the party have a Duty and others don't, or or characters have different Duties? Is that just the sort of thing that should generally be vetoed at character creation?
>>
>>44509119
>some characters in the party have a Duty and others don't
It's basically the same as having a paladin in D&D party. It can go wrong, but only if GM wants it to go wrong.
>characters have different Duties?
As long as the organizations the characters have duties to are not currently in violent conflict with each other, it may still work out. Think of the group as joint force from several organizations (think X-Com or Man from UNCLE). And of course it gives the ability for you, the GM, to mess with players, by giving them secret orders to backstab each other and such.
>>
>>44509446
>And of course it gives the ability for you, the GM, to mess with players, by giving them secret orders to backstab each other and such.
For suitable shadowy organizations, I'm a fan of "do this innocuous thing without letting the rest of the party know." Tell this homeless bum at the corner of 5th and Main that the parakeet flies at dawn, pick up coffee from the girl at the donut shop and leave on the third table at the cafe down the street, stuff like that. Then, later down the line, it turns out the bum was a sleeper agent waiting to be activated, and the coffee cup had sensitive information written on the inside. It gives the PC an extra to-do without causing internal party conflict and drama every single time the Duty comes up. If the Duty is always hazardous, then it normally requires offing someone.
>>
File: ManeuversPosture.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ManeuversPosture.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Do these sound like okay rules to use for an exceptionally gritty dark fantasy game that won't fuck everything up with unplayable detail?
-Last Gasp (Simplified)
-Bleeding and Bloodloss
-DR as Dice
-Grazes
-Extra Effort
-Most of the expanded combat options from Martial Arts
-PER rolls in combat (ignore the roll if effective PER is 16+)
-Shields as cover (holding your shield close halves the DB but all incoming attacks from the shield side have a (DB+1)-in-6 chance of hitting the shield instead)

I'm going to use poker chips and the simplified version of Last Gasp from the author's blog. I'm also setting the AP:FP ratio to 5:1. I don't expect PER rolls to be a thing 95% of the time, I just included it to make chameleon/shadowy enemies (as well as sneaky PCs) more threatening. I'll be giving out pic related and the expanded hit locations list so I hope the combat options aren't too much.

The group I'm planning on running this with is a mixed bag of experienced GURPSfags, rookie GURPSfags, and one guy new to RPGs in general. I'm hoping that myself and the two more experienced players can keep things for getting too intense for the others, but I'm worried I might be overdoing it. I really don't want to fuck up and souring not only my pet system but potentially all RPGs for the newbie.

How much should I tone down the rules?
>>
>>44507898

It's in the OP.

https://mega.nz/#!P5sgxIRA!mYthOAUQ7x03bGoIvXZ_qML9zHdHs3-JIzDlRAXVV58
>>
>>44512823
I don't think DR as Dice would be that good. Most people wont be doing more than 1d6 damage. It works better for ultra tech and supers where people are throwing around 6d6 damage and DR 20 without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>44508237
I've still got it. It needs cleaning up before I'd post it anywhere. If work doesn't kick my butt I'll see about posting it somewhere.
>>
>>44509119
I always gave the character(s) with Duty an extra assignment. If everyone is doing this thing then the guy with Duty also has to plant these files or steal a widget or delver this package at 4 p.m. Thursday to the girl in the train station wearing the big purple hat.
>>
Does anyone have an idea for how to write up something like the paths from Mage? Or Dragon blooded from Exalted?
>>
>>44515629
Ritual Magic or Path Magic is specifically trying to model something similar to Mage.

Don't know about Exalted at all though.
>>
>>44482338
I hope you brought grenade launchers.
>>
>>44512823
>Grazes
Are those from 3/34 Alternate GURPS (Ten tweaks to customize combat)?
What are Per- and shield-rules, any blog/forum posts, pyramids on that?
Oh, and what about 'Edged weapons and blunt trauma'?
>>
>>44516869
Yeah grazes are from that.
PER rolls in combat are from Cole's Dodge This article in the Gunplay issue expanded to attack as well as defense rolls.
Shields as cover is a rules nugget from TBone's Gaming Diner blog.
I figured edged weapons and blunt trauma wasn't really worth the extra step since I had newbies in the group.

>>44515310
Crunching the numbers, DR as dice makes DR more effective than static stuff, so I was hoping I could sneak in more PC survivability. I see what you mean though. I'll probably drop it.
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 07.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 07.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Added two planes and three guns. Also corrected a number of small errors.

I will add Anon's helicopters soon. Anon, if you want me to do the weapons for them, I can. I need to figure out rockets and bombs for the planes anyway.
>>
>>44520535
Okay, I tried to stat guns that I could, but my brain is melting. I will appreciate if you finish the rest. Some notes:
- No need to stat Shturm-VU, you can copy it from article in Pyramid 3-57
- S-13 rocket only includes HE variant. Apparently the default version is bunker buster, and I have no idea how to stat that
- AH-1 Cobra uses M61 Vulcan now. Hey, it was actually used on it, so no need to stat another gun.
- I fixed Move on all helicopters
http://rghost dot net/6JTw8xF5k
>>
>>44520535
Note somewhere that ShKAS uses special version of 7.62×54mmR round with double crimping and more durable casing - it can be used in infantry 7.62×54mmR weapons, but normal 7.62×54mmR cartridge cannot be used in ShKAS.
>>
>>44521849

Thanks, anon. I actually overlooked that (and the fact that API was standard ammunition) even though it's in Wikipedia.
>>
>>44520535

Greetings, fellow Anon GURPSer.

I have a few vehicle requests that i'd love for you to fulfill, should you have the time, patience, and mental energy to spare. Seeing any one of them properly statted would be lovely.

1. A URAL truck (preferably the 4320 Model).

2. The M1078 LMTV Light Utility Truck.

3. Any early 1990s Jeep Wrangler.

4. A late production (1980s) Willys Jeep CJ-7.

Should you require any help, i'll chip in however I can.
>>
>>44523828
Helicopter anon here - I may try my hand at them later. I also planned to stat some Russian cars
>>
>>44517983
Hmm, that's weird. I see 'Edged Weapons' rule as one of the most efficient (additional steps versus realistic appearance) optional rule, yet your Perception rule/Last Gasp (even simplified) is somehow not an 'extra step' for newbies?
Obviously, it is down to preference. But I just love that rule, simple enough but adds a lot to the feeling of armor.

The Perception rule I don't see adding much. I tried using Last Gasp, actively wanted to like it. Used both pyramid and blog variants, because default combat lacked the 'flurries/lulls' feeling. Ended up just buffing Evaluate – much simpler, similar effect.

Re: shield cover. Why can't it just be represented by All-Out Defence (Increased Block)?
>>
>>44525081
I'll consider edged weapons. While it doesn't have any extra steps beyond checking to see if damage > 2*DR, it will appear almost constantly. PER rolls on the other hand will only come up in specific circumstances so I see it slowing down most of the game.
As for the cover, it has two benefits: it makes AOA a tad less suicidal and (this is the main reason I included it) it lets those hunks of steel and wood be useful against attacks you didn't see coming like a arrow from the shadows. I always thought it was weird that those huge protective surfaces effectively disappear if you can't actively defend; the surface area alone should give some passive protection.
>>
>Love Biotech.
>>
>>44523828
Sorry, anon, I decided to stat Jeep CJ-5 instead, because CJ-7 is too close to Wrangler, and I want to cover as many time periods as possible.
>>
Let's say that you have the power of "Tactile Telekinesis" that is stated as ST+10 (Psychokinesis, -10%; Costs FP 1, -5%) [85]. But now let's say that this power don't actually increases your durability, so you stay with your normal HP value. How does this work? Do I just buy down HP? Or am I doing it the wrong way?
>>
>>44531029
You're right. Buy up ST and down HP for a net 8 points/level.
>>
>>44531669
But then how would that work? Is there a No HP -x% limitation that I don't know about?
>>
>>44532009
ST is +/-10 points/level, HP is +/-2 points per level. With the -10% Psi limitation on ST, that drops to 9 points/level, and selling the extra HP off further drops it to effectively 7 points/level.
>>
Okay, guys, I need help - I wrote some stats, but I need write-ups for:
Jeep CJ-5
Jeep Wrangler TJ
M35 cargo truck
M1078 LMTV Light Utility Truck
>>
>>44532102
So I just sell back the HP directly? How do I write this up?
>ST +10, (Psychokinesis, -10%; No HP -10) [80]
>>
>>44520701
>AH-1 Cobra uses M61 Vulcan now.

No, it uses the M197. Three barrels instead of six, lighter, 1/4 the rate of fire.
>>
>>44532772
According to Wiki, it used both. I assume that M197 was used on Vietnam-era models, and I originally wrote it as such, but then I got lazy and decided to use gun that already has stats (though I imagine that M197 would be really easy to stat, unlike those fucking 30mm autocannons with their alphabet soup of ammunition)
>>
>>44532189
ST +10 (Psi, -10%) [90]
HP -10 [-20]

The final net cost is [70] but the +ST and -HP are written out as two separate traits.
>>
>>44533782
But what if the ST isn't always on? Like in the Costs FP >>44531029 here, does it change the price?
>>
Is it kosher to base Debt off of income or current Cost of Living, rather than starting Wealth? If so, should that modify the value of the disadvantage?

I'm trying to model guild dues as a percentage of a character's monthly income.
>>
>>44520535
>>44523828
Okay, another bunch of stats and some write-ups.

I am taking suggestions. Right now I need some vans and civilian trucks. Preferably something that is popular and widespread, or iconic, or at least interesting and useful for adventurers.
http://rghost dot net/7gYJM7zlc
>>
>>44532871
What wiki are you reading that says it used both? It never flew with the M61.
>>
>>44520535
Oh, and by the way, I think you overpriced ground attack planes. According to some sources I found, production cost of IL-2 began at 236 thousand rubles, and lowered to 165 thousand rubles in 1943. Highest estimate I could find puts it to 1 million rubles, and it comes from some apocryphal story. Vodka price in 1940 was 11.5 rubles per bottle, and bottle of liquor costs $6 in GURPS, so we can assume that GURPS dollar is roughly equal to two 1940s rubles. If we add weapons, and assume that it is market price, it still wouldn't cost more than $1M. I think that Skyraider should also be way cheaper.

>>44535255
Hmm, weird, it actually didn't. I was sure I've seen it somewhere. I guess you're right then.
>>
>>44482229
Anyone know of any GURPS actual plays, podcasts or anything along those lines?
>>
>>44526962
For someone who is playing almost exclusively TL3, is it a fun read? Maybe it will inspire me to finally make an XCOM campaign..
>>
Anyone happen to have Pyramid 3/44? I want to see the Last Gasp rules, see.
>>
>>44538126
Guess what? It's in the OP
>>
>>44535515

Skyraider price is based on real world cost, but the Il-2 was pretty much guesswork.

There's probably a better method of estimating cost than going from a single commodity, but it's better than guesswork... do you happen to know how big a bottle of vodka it was?
>>
>>44535515

OK, it seems that soviet currency was a complete mess and it's difficult to translate it into normal money due to it not actually following market value... but going by official exchange rates (which seem likely to over-value the Ruble) it looks like 200 thousand roubles would be something like 35 thousand 1940 USD, which is about half a million 2005 USD / GURPS $. So the Il-2 does seem to be over-priced (assuming your initial data is good).

Looking back at my notes for the Skyraider, the price was based on one pretty questionable source, so I'm not confident that it's accurate at all. On the other hand, it's at least consistent with the Mustang in High-Tech. I guess it's possible that American manufacturing was simply more expensive than Russian, but that seems unlikely...
>>
>>44540356

It just occurred to me that the soviet cost figure might be the cost of building one plane, while the US figure is based on total costs of building all the planes (including R&D and factory construction) divided by the number built.

I'm not sure which figure would be better suited to a GURPS price.

It's also probably relevant that there were ten times as many Il-2s built as Skyraiders. If the US spread it's fixed costs over another 30,000 planes the individual price would probably be much lower.
>>
>>44541332
>>44540356
>>44541332
Vodka conversion is not a perfect way to do it, but it is good enough for "quick and dirty" estimate.

>I'm not sure which figure would be better suited to a GURPS price.
Something in between. I think GURPS price is how much you need to pay if you want to buy one for yourself. State owned factories will build military equipment for lowest price possible, while private factories are usually jacking the price up since government pays for it anyway.
>>
>>44544195
The basic economic premise in GURPS is more or less $1 (gurps) = a loaf of basic bread.
>>
>>44544303
>he thinks bread is more important than vodka
>>
>>44544303
I can't find bread prices in 1940s (and I don't think it would be useful due to wartime shortages and rationing), but cheapest loaf of bread (either 1kg loaf of rye bread or 0.4kg long loaf of wheat bread) in 1961 USSR does costs around 1/6 of basic vodka in 0.5l bottle.
>>
Helicopter Anon, how did you estimate the armour on the attack helicopters?

According to Boeing the Apache can survive hits from 23mm (although it isn't specific about which 23mm, I'm going to guess something like 20 dice of damage in GURPS, but possibly not close range, so it could be less) in vital areas and .50 calibre elsewhere (again, no idea at what range).

It's apparently got about 2,500 lbs. of titanium, boron carbide and kevlar protecting it. Rough estimate, I'd say it's about 300 square feet overall, with maybe 130 square feet being heavily protected. Going by armour weights in G:Vehicles and assuming boron carbide, etc. is 'advanced', that seems like maybe 40/25, which is just enough to take what Boeing claims so long as they aren't AP rounds and they are beyond 1/2 Damage range (about a mile, which seems like a reasonable range to expect a helicopter to be shot from).
>>
>>44544642
To be fair, I just took the armor values from article on Hind in Pyramid. I think helicopter armor only offers complete protection against small arms and fragments. Apache can survive hits from 23mm because it was built with redundancy, so if some systems are damaged, it can still return to the base. DR25 protects against anything up to 12.7mm at 1/2D range, and softens the blows from 23mm. Then again, Hind article mentions that it has wounding modifier of x2 instead of x3 on vitals - I assume same applies to Apache. All in all, it checks up with this claim:
>According to Boeing, every part of the helicopter can survive 12.7-mm rounds, and vital engine and rotor components can withstand 23-mm fire.
>>
>>44532105

Do you mean descriptions of each vehicle? I can do that.
>>
The only rpg I ever played in my life is GURPS.
This weekend, I played D&D 5E with my nephews for the first time; they didn't know how to play it either, they got it for christmas (actually I gave it to them for christmas because "GURPS is too hard")

I didn't really feel like it was that much easier from a player's perspective than D&D. Some things are so far abstracted, it seemed kinda confusing that one stat covered an enemy's ability to dodge, absorb damage, and was also contested against your ability to hit, basically melting accuracy, armor, and evasion into one roll... but to compound my frustrations, the kids (high school and middle school) seemed to absolutely refuse to read the manual, so it might not entirely be the system's fault, but it seemed really hard to teach basic concepts like, "Roll dice, add hit modifier, if AC or better, roll damage" Like they forgot every single turn what to do.

Skills are so insanely broad, and choices are so crazy scant when it comes to character stat development, but I will admit that it is simpler with less of a learning curve than GURPS, with the caveat that it seems simpler to the point of being flawed.
I do think it seemed a lot easier from a GM's perspective though... because there are not a lot of choices to make, or player decisions to veto. It also seems like leveling up is a lot easier... because you are basically told what you get, and that's that.

All I'm saying is that, in a totally anecdotal way, I think the first RPG *you* learn is the easiest.

Long Story Short: D&D seems a lot easier for GMs, but much more constrained; more or less the same for players, but much more constrained.
>>
>>44545468
Yes. As other anon puts it:
>you need to do a write-up. Describe the vehicle. Give a few notes about it's history and what makes it interesting or significant
>>
>>44544993
Hmm... it does seem perverse to give the Apache (which has no real reputation for toughness that I'm aware of) better armour than the Hind (which is famous for being a 'flying tank') but the sheer weight of armour and the materials used seem to indicate that there is some really strong protection there. It's over a metric ton of armour on a fairly small aircraft and not just steel but titanium, super-hard ceramics and aramid fibre, which has to qualify as at least standard composite / laminate armour.

Here's a 3rd edition build of an Apache using the vehicles system which manages to get DR 45 all over: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=44994

So I think I'm going to boost it's DR to something like 15-25 baseline and 30-40 for the crew, vitals and rotors. That still leaves it vulnerable to heavy machine guns (or ordinary rifles with AP ammo) at less than a mile. I don't think I can really go any lower and stay consistent with the 2,500 lbs. of armour (which might be bullshit... I got the number from wikipedia and their source is some book which doesn't look massively credible...)
>>
>>44534571
I'd say that guild dues are just part of the income for that job, same as income tax or something. If it means you earn significantly less, then that's just reduced wealth.

A Debt disadvantage is something that you need to pay off even when you don't have income.
>>
>>44546656
Well, the idea about Hind is that it certainly was tough, but it also used steel instead of advanced materials available today, and it also had passenger cabin, which also required protection. Since modern attack helicopters are smaller and use modern materials, I think we can assume that they have DR40 on cabin, HT 12 and x2 wounding modifier on vitals. I saw claims that entire Tiger fuselage is made of armor (and the usual claims about sustaining 23mm hits), but since it is an inferior helicopter in general, I can assume that it has DR 25 body at best. As for 23mm hits - sustaining doesn't means resisting, so all helicopters would have to rely on HP and HT to survive instead.
>>
What's that quality or advantage or whatever that makes it so you can't actually lose an item, and that it will always come back to you or give you a chance to get it back?

Thanks
>>
>>44547808
Signature Equipment
>>
If a character has the Machine trait and Doesn't Eat or Drink, can they already operate 24/7 or do they need to take Doesn't Sleep separately?

Also, are there any sourcebooks that are good for building robot characters?
>>
GCS just released a new version that says it fixes the annoying bit with the skill defaults, and lets you manually switch defaults instead of requiring you to basically mangle the data to force the default you want.
>>
Evenin' /tg/, got a question. A friend of mine is looking to start a Supers game up in the coming weeks and I was wonder if you had a few pointers for someone that's never played GURPS before? Its also the first time the GM's run a game in the system, so its going to be a learning experience for the lot of us.

For anyone that cares, I'm looking to play a Biomass Manipulator/Body horror hero akin to Alex Mercer/James Keller from the prototype series.
>>
>>44548839

Nope, you'll need to take Doesn't Sleep separately. As a machine, you don't suffer the FP-loss of missed sleep though (since you don't have FP), just the other side effects.

As for books, all I can think of is Ultra Tech, and I'm mostly thinking of cybernetic implants and a drone templates here and there, which can be used as inspiration for what a robot character can do.
>>
>>44549645

Don't let this experience influence your thoughts on the system as a whole too much.

Supers is one of the hardest things you can run in GURPS, and it's incredibly hard to balance characters and skills against each other unless you're very familiar with the system.
>>
>>44549645

If you can only use certain advantages at a time, alternate advantages is a huge discount that lets you pay full price for the most expensive ability, and get the rest 80% off.

I never played prototype, but injury tolerance homogenous (difficult/impossible to injure important internal organs) or diffuse (You are like a body of liquid or smoke and are really hard to hit except with things like explosions or spray attacks) can be incredibly useful if this campaign is combat intense.

Might look at independent body parts and regrowth if part of your abilities allow severed appendages to continue to attack.

Looking at random pictures of the guy on GIS, you might want some kind of switchable DR to represent his body hardening, and switchable claws and talons, or innate attacks to represent those abilities. If you have problems statting out a somewhat difficult ability, you can probably link a gameplay video and someone here will probably be able to figure out a GURPS point value for it.

You might want to look at the chapters in GURPS: Powers that describe defining power sources; I think yours sounds like "Biological" but it's interesting if you want to think about the realistic limitations and advantages of your abilities.
>>
>>44548839
The rules for building robodies are all in the Basic Set. If you want examples, though, the Transhuman Space books will work nicely. Transhuman Space: Shell-Tech is a huge catalog updating any robot body that ever showed up in Transhuman Space throughout its existence to 4e. It's just the templates/statblocks, though. If you want fluff information, you will need to pirate some of the old 3e books.
>>
>>44549917

My friends and I are trying to branch out in the way of systems. We're mostly accustom to D20's like DnD and Pathfinder, with some play in NWoD, but we're pretty open about all of it. We're not the types to easily get up in a huff, so I'm hoping this should be fun, even if its a bit of a slow start on our ends wrapping our heads around the rules.

>>44550000

Many thanks, these'll help me focus in on what I'm looking for in my reading.

Also, that's a nice get you got there.
>>
>>44549645
It can be slow in practice because you'll be constantly changing your characters traits, but this is my go-to "body horror" ability.

>Morph (Improvised Form, +100%; Mass Conservation, -20%; Cannot Memorize Forms, -50%; Needs Sample, -50%) [80+0.8 points/additional point]

What the above does is let you shapeshift, adding and subtracting physical advantages as the situation calls for it. Normally, Morph is limited to pre-existing templates (e.g. bird, dog, orc, martian, etc.), but Improvised lets you, essentially, make up new templates on the spot, including stuff like "the same as any other human, but with a sick stretching tentacle arm with a stinger on the end." The basic version of the advantage is caps out at 0-point templates; every point you add to yourself has to be balanced with a point taken away; if you're going to Alex Mercer style, nearly all your templates will include Horrific Appearance [-24]. Pump more in though, and you can leave yourself with a positive point balance; throwing 100 points into his advantage will let you make templates with a final cost of 25 points or less.

Mass Conservation is there because you're just reshaping yourself; no adding weight to become a 3000-lb. deathgorilla or whisking it all away to sneak around as a tiny mouse. While Morph normally allows for a perfect copying of a target's appearance, Needs Sample at the -50% level means you need to consume basically their entire body to copy them, The Thing style. Further, Cannot Memorize Forms means you can't save the form for later use; you can disguise yourself as a specific person once and once only after killing and eating them. You can still try and reshape yourself to match someone, but your power will only give you +4 to the roll instead of automatic victory. You can always make yourself look *different* though.
>>
Damn, researching civilian trucks is pretty hard, due to the sheer amount of models they have.
>>
Hey, GURPS general, I have a player telling me that all armour in the system should have the Semi- Ablative quality (I'll post its description ahead for ease). I don't think that's super correct, considering the only time they mention that is when dealing with trauma plates, and that's specifically only for those. But, then again, I'm not sure as I'm not an expert in the field of ballistics. What's your take, GURPS general?

Semi-Ablative: When an attack
strikes semi-ablative DR, every 10
points of basic damage rolled
removes one point of DR, regardless
of whether the attack penetrates DR.
Lost DR “heals” as for Ablative (and
you cannot combine the two). -20%.
>>
File: Damage to Armor.png (305 KB, 685x912) Image search: [Google]
Damage to Armor.png
305 KB, 685x912
>>44555174

Show him pic related from Low-Tech Companion 2.
>>
>>44555462
Jesus, that seems really annoying to implement, but no doubt he'll want me to. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: 1449162090771.jpg (21 KB, 176x310) Image search: [Google]
1449162090771.jpg
21 KB, 176x310
I'm fairly new to GURPS, played a couple of games as a player, now I want to run a zombie apocalypse game. What sourcebooks should I use, and if you have any other advice about how to set it up or run it I would greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>44556784
>What sourcebooks should I use
GURPS Zombies
>>
>>44556784
Zombies, maybe Action. Other books like high-tech just depend on the setting.

I'm running a cataclysm DDA-inspired campaign right now with bits of high-tech and psionics, but most of what you want can be done with the basic set. I'd take a look at Zombies just to get a feel of basic stats and what sort of zeds you want though.
>>
File: Duel-e1383012334831.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Duel-e1383012334831.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Okay, I'm done statting the trucks. Who would've thought that it would be so hard to stat civilian vehicles? But I had to ditch Mack R Series and replace Volvo F89 with MAZ-500 because I couldn't find specs, and most non-Russian vehicles are pieced together from several sources (I found most W900 specification on Russian site, of all places). And W900 trailer load still looks wonky to me. Also I still need write-ups for Wrangler TJ, M35 cargo truck and LMTV.

http://rghost dot net/7knVHSYFs
>>
>>44545691

My apologies for the late reply (the weather was contentious and I couldn't get back home soon enough).

I'll attend to those writeups as soon as I can.
>>
>>44556784
I ran a very successful zombie apocalypse game, and I found GURPS zombies to be both almost impossible to fucking find, and not really in line with what I wanted.

You might be better off statting zombies yourself and focusing on other rulebooks.
>>
File: GURPS Aztecs.jpg (98 KB, 403x538) Image search: [Google]
GURPS Aztecs.jpg
98 KB, 403x538
>>
File: WillyBridgeBurning_3379.png (148 KB, 315x367) Image search: [Google]
WillyBridgeBurning_3379.png
148 KB, 315x367
Just bumping to say this:
Vehicle anons, you are very good people, and I like you.

In a random note, I'm trying to create a Loadout for WW2 troops, in a setting where Germany won the Great War (Kaiserreich). Anyone has any suggestions on how equipment would change?
>>
>>44567059
German loadout will probably include an SMG based on MP-28. French had some semi-auto rifles in WW1, and since Germany will be able to take them and also won't be bound by the terms of Treaty of Versailles, they will most likely develop their own semi-auto rifle, or even invent assault rifle earlier. Overall they will be much better equipped than Nazis.
American and British loadouts shouldn't change much.
Soviet loadout also wouldn't be much different, but if they will enter the WW2 later than in OTL, they may also have enough time to replace their Mosin rifles with SVT-40. Or they may work on Avtomat Fedorova and get their own assault rifle earlier. If the Kurchevsky would be taken out of the picture through alternative-history shenanigans, they may also end up having recoilless rifle in WW2.
>>
>>44567445

Aah yes, the Automatic Fedora.

Truly the most Euphoric of guns.
>>
>>44567445
My main problem lies with the equipment and 'armor'. Germany's victory in WW1 was because of their Stormtroopers, so troops should be equipped to assault - but I have no idea how armors would be. I though of using the tables from Pyramid 3-85, but I still feel like there's something 'missing'.
>>
>>44545645
This entirely explains why GURPS isn't the most popular. People don't want to read to enable themselves to have fun.
>>
Is there a way to make melee (or at least a melee character) viable in higher TL settings?
>>
>>44567777
In Ultra-tech, yes. Decent armor and superfine-vibro-blades makes them useful. For everyother thing, Zap Glove and Judo, then trick your GM so that every judo parry/throw you make cause 2d damage.
>>
>>44567625
Actually, German stormtrooper armor is right in the High-Tech. Soviets used something similar in WW2 (Storm sapper brigades).

>>44567777
Make the campaign set in Britain
>>
>>44567059
>>44567445
The Kaiserreich world is imho even more entrenched (HUAHUEHUAHUE) in the idea that WW2 will be like WW1 than our world was.

>>44567777
Teleportation/very high speed or "the setting just works that way" like Dune.
>>
>>44567847
What I dislike on the Sentry Armor is it's weight. you can make a better armor as a Front Only, High-TL Steel Heavy Plate (DR 18F, 12 lbs). Only difference would be cost - which in a military game (players will be the first paratroopers batallion on the German Army) is kinda irrelevant.
>>
>>44567938
Well, the Soviet SN-42 breastplate weighs around 8 lb, and is good enough to stop 9mm bullet from SMG, bayonet strike or fragmentation (as well as glancing long-range rifle bullets). SN-46 version was even thicker, but I can't find it's weight anywhere. I assume that your DR-18F 12 lb breastplate is a good representation.
>>
Anyone ever ran a mecha game with mechs as player characters on the decade/century scale and another character sheet for pilots?
How did it go? Anything to avoid/not forget?
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 08.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 08.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I'm afraid I had an attack of autism and felt the need to pretty much re-do the entire Apache build that Anon had kindly done already... on the plus side, most of our figures line up pretty well.

Will add more of his vehicles soon, as well as actually doing some original work.

Currently trying to figure out rules for trailers and sidecars which aren't retarded. I might have to ignore the ST-based encumbrance system entirely and just say 'when towing a trailer up to half the vehicles weight it is 20% slower and at -1 Hnd' or something. I don't fucking know...
>>
>>44568341
Treat the sidecar as a Gadget, so it ads only 50% of its weight.

>>44568176
So... use the soviet figures as general ideas for the german equipment?
>>
>>44568402
Or just use the armor constructor from Pyramid. I brought up SN-42 to show up that GURPS rules check out with real life.
>>
>>44567698
Well, in that post I said that they refused to read the d&d manuals... That said, I also noticed that the starter set d&d manuals were longer than the lite GURPS manual, so in terms of learning curve, it might be better... But the d&d starter set does have a spell list and abbreviated bestiary.

In my opinion, besides the lookup table for thrust/swing damage, and the list of hit location effects, GURPS seems easier to remember and learn because everything is consistent. The weird formula for GURPS dodge is just about as weird as the formula for calculating d&d magic saves, and the slight complexity of skill difficulty levels matches the complexity of proficiency level.

Honestly, anywhere in GURPS where I feel like there honestly might be too much complexity for a newbie, I found out d&d didn't really do anything that actually made it easier.

But my perception is compromised, like I said, by the fact that I'm biased because GURPS is my first system. That said, I don't think it is significantly more complex than d&d, and where it is more complex, it is only because of optional rules that almost always add commiserate depth if those options and that depth is important.
>>
>>44568499
GURPS wasn't my first RPG and I found it easier to learn to than D&D. Most stuff in GURPS make sense, some of D&D's stuff are just too abstracted for me.
>>
So it happened again...
I.. Got... Nerfed...
But this time its special. My mage may not take crossbows because of a whiny player claiming I steal her niche with 1 point in a fukken weapon. Its not the systems fault its the player and the GM listening to her...

I have 1 pts to spare with my one eyed support mage. I want to fuck with the group.
Im considering getting a sling and putting my self in the other end of the fight and hurling stones at the enemy.
That way Im useless and have a chance of hitting my own team mates.
Any better ideas?
>>
>>44568772
That's funny. Crossbow always seemed to me to be the option for players that specifically didn't specialize in long range; just a "you should have a ranged weapon because everyone needs one, but you don't want to invest enough points in bow to make it useful" skill, so you can put a check mark on the list of skills for all bases a character should nominally cover.

I guess, depending on the magic system being used, I'd put the point in innate attack, but that being the super obvious answer, there must be a reason that's a bad idea.
If you really want to go the shitty passive aggressive route, as support mage, learn an ability that makes the area dark under the premise of lowering the opponent's accuracy, but for the purpose of lowering the other player's accuracy.
>>
>>44568483
Allright. So shall it be. Should the other equipment like LBV, ammo pouches, and such, be the same as it were for the Wehrmacht?
>>
>>44568772
Point out to her that you can't shoot your crossbow more than once per combat.
>>
File: Antonov_An-4_(An-2V).jpg (324 KB, 1019x538) Image search: [Google]
Antonov_An-4_(An-2V).jpg
324 KB, 1019x538
>>44568341
Don't forget to include the trucks from here>>44559136

Also I'm planning to stat An-2. I just drop it in the thread when I'm done.
>>
>>44569334
>Also I'm planning to stat An-2. I just drop it in the thread when I'm done.

Cool, I had meant to do it but got sidetracked. It should have between 3 and 3.5 lbs. of 'thrust' per kW of engine power, so probably 2 yps/s basic move.
>>
Does anyone have any idea what year exactly the GIAT M781 was available from?
>>
If anyone feels like helping with the vehicle project but doesn't want to do any number crunching, one thing which would be really helpful is some flavour text for ordinary cars, trucks and bikes. It gets very difficult to say anything interesting after a few entries, especially if you're not an /o/ type.
>>
>>44568275
Points earned are for pilots.

Handwave the costs for mechs, but track a sheet at minimum.

Give you players incremental upgrades. States something yourself. Give them a pick and choose list.
>>
>>44570291
Did you actually play that way?
Did you make mechs use pre-existing weapons or have players create innate attack?
>>
>>44570383
>>44570291
I always thought mechas were supposed to be made like starships. There's eve a Pyramid about it.
>>
>>44570813
There are multiple approaches. Mechs as spaceships is one, as second characters is another, and as pilotable NPC allies is the last popular approach I know of.
>>
>>44569264
I really did try, shed have none of it.

>>44569014
Thats a good one. Im trying to find something totally broken and out of character now. Ill keep this one in mind.
Im considering making write out a list of the things Im allowed to take skills in now.
>>
File: img_8687.jpg (121 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
img_8687.jpg
121 KB, 1024x683
An-2 (Russia, 1948-present)

TL 7
ST/HP 78
Hnd/SR +2/3
HT 12f
Move 2/143
Lwt. 5.8
Load 1.4
SM +5
Occ 2+12
DR 4
Range 1200
Cost $100K
Location g3W2Wi

Despite its dated looks, this single-motor biplane is efficient, easy to maintain aircraft that played important role in bringing civilization to the most remote corners of Russia and was actively used as transport and cropduster. More then 17000 were built - while it was discontinued in USSR in 1971, Poland kept producing them until 2002 and China makes them even today. One of the main design goals was to make controls as easy and forgiving as possible - it is almost impossible to stall it or put it into uncontrollable spin, and despite having official stall speed of 18 yards/s, it can hover or even fly backwards in strong wind. Unfortunately, it is also notorious for causing motion sickness in even the toughest of passengers. It is also built to be used on any airfield, no matter how unprepared it is - it has on-board fuel pump and only needs 235-yard runway. Wheels can be replaced with skis during winter. Balloon interceptor version has machine gun turret and searchlight (Location g3Wt2Wi). AN-4 is a floatplane version of AN-2 (Location g2R2Wi, Load 1.2).
>>
>>44570813
I just reaaally don't like 4e Spaceships, I'd rather use 3e Vehicles.
>>
>>44578730
Talking about Spaceships, do you guys use the usual, or the Interstellar Wars? Are there any other?
>>
>>44557708
Out of curiosity, what're you actually doing in your Cata game? The game proper is very, uh... open-ended once you've gotten through the first day, in the sense that there's nothing to do really. I'm not sure how you'd make it a proper campaign.
>>
After looking over the rules, I found out search is not the skill to be using to have the party go look around and find something in the city.

What skill would I have my party members test against to go and search a small town for something. An example would be the party of inquisition acolytes are looking for the building in the city that has the cultists hiding at it.

Would it just be a flat perception roll?
>>
Are there any benefits of using one-handed weapons with nothing in the left hand? Obviously it is not better than having a shield or two-handed weapon, but still
>>
>>44579909
You could treat that as a couple of other rolls. Obervation to... observe, Fast-talk/Acting to get information from someone. Just take the long way.

>>44579946
Less weight, for one. If he uses a Fencing weapon, that means he probably gets that sweet fencing-retreat. Also useful for unplanned situations: grab the X, throw the Y, press the Z.
>>
>>44579909

Observation and Intelligence Analysis are what I use for general investigation.

In a city, Urban Survival will let you narrow down the search area to places that seem suited to the purpose.

Streetwise can deal with asking around (as can any social skill) and spotting suspicious activity (and distinguishing suspicious criminal activity from suspicious cult activity). Likewise Criminology lets you take a good guess at the methods and thinking they will be using which can offer insights.

Search doesn't let you cover a whole city, but it does let you quickly go over an alleyway looking for cult runes or bits of robe snagged on a railing or something. Useful once you've narrowed it down to a few likely locations.

Hidden Lore (Cults) or Theology might let you identify a cultist. Then you can follow him with Shadowing or grab him and use Interrogation.

>>44579946

One obvious one is that an empty hand lets you use grappling skills. Very handy if you get into close combat.
>>
>>44579901
Enable static NPCs and go find the refugee shelter, Anon.
>>
>>44579946
GURPS: Gladiator introduces a rule called Focused Defense that lets fighters alter their stance to present one side (bonus to block/parry with the presented side, but it's easier to hit) and deny the other (harder to hit that side, but penalty to block/parry with that hand and you lose a yard of reach); though it was introduced in the Gladiator book, you probably recognize this is the typical fencing pose.

Someone fighting with a one-handed weapon and their empty hand denied wouldn't really lose anything from that hand being empty and would probably enjoy the +1 to Parry. Since their denied side is harder to hit, they could probably get away with less armor (or even no armor) on the denied arm/leg, which would improve encumbrance. Though focused defense certainly is useful without a free hand (I used it to good effect with my not!hoppolite, presenting the shield-side and stabbing people with my longspear), I can definitely see it being useful for fighters using only a single one-handed weapon.
>>
Is there a system for making your own spells for the magic as skills system?
I really need it...
>>
>>44584767
Not really. There is an article on converting skills to powers, and using that, one can invert it and potentially make a reverse conversion. Mostly, it comes down to eyeballing it.
>>
>>44584767
Not really, and that's one of the reasons why so many flock to alternate magic systems where you can make your own spells easily. That being said, there are some routes to consider:

-Adjustable Spells (p. T39): +1 energy and -1 skill allows up to +5% worth of enhancements to apply to a spell (e.g. for +4 energy and -4 skill, a wizard could cast Lightning Bolt with No Signature (+20%), enabling him to shoot invisible bolts). However, this is both pretty punishing and doesn't let you make/learn spell variants permanently, everything is one-off.
-Adjustable Spell Techniques: same system, but you can buy the variant spell as an Average technique to help with the skill penalty. It doesn't do jack shit for the higher energy costs though.
-Magical Invention (p. T10): while this looks good on paper, in practice using the inventing rules for creating new spells requires too many blind calls by the GM with no real guidelines given for me to feel comfortable recommending.
>>
File: ShiteMage.png (114 KB, 233x228) Image search: [Google]
ShiteMage.png
114 KB, 233x228
>>44584870
>>44584911

That blows pretty hard... At least I can laugh at the magic books art.
>>
>>44585099
>feels mage man
>>
>>44585346

The damage spells are dinky,
there are so many weird situational (albeit funny) spells.
And you effectively start with 6 fatique points. Id get a crossbow but Im the whiner from earlier.
Im considering giving my one eyed support mage a orc double axe or throwing knives, Im looking for a really bad weapon to default with.
Like something hilariously bad.

Originally Id want some darkness-ish attack but there really is no way of getting that. And I hate how you use 3 fatique points on a fire ball that everyone dodges anyways.
>>
Wondering if American helicopter gunships should have the Fragile (Explosive) disadvantage as well as Fragile (Flammable). As far as I can tell, none of them have extra protection on their magazines and they carry a lot of explosive ammunition.
>>
>>44585579

Would that more be some hit location thing?
>>
>>44581802
True, I've gone through that and the ranch. Unfortunately, the vault crashes my game in the only save I've made it that far (enabled experimental Z-levels, which... doesn't work), so I can't continue.
>>
>>44585579

Compared to their total weight, they don't carry that much explosives, and high explosives won't detonate by a direct hit, modern military stuff is extremely stable, to the point where wood is far easier to ignite.
>>
>>44585532
You can get a 1 FP discount when you reach level 15,20,25, etc.

And you can get IQ minus will and perception for 10 points, or Magery for 10 points which can help *at least* reach skill level 15 with a single point in a spell to always have at least a 1 FP discount.
Also, always get recover energy to 15 at least. It is priced as a skill, but it is really a passive ability to regen FP.
Darkness and Blackout don't have that many prerequisites... but they look pretty expensive FP wise according to the area effect cost rules.

Guess the only thing for it is amassing some huge energy reserves either in character points, items, or otherwise.
>>
>>44586004

I have IQ 15, magery 3 and HT 12.
I start at 16 assuming its only a hard spell which is pretty baller.
I just want a non fatique point consuming attack that isnt shit. My character is DX 9 and ST 10 so its poopy regardless.
Ive made the mistake of not focussing on a college per say but having tons of small very circumstantial spells, entirely my mistake.
I kinda started blundering around when I noticed I couldnt find any cool spells for a more night and darkness themed character.
Im just missing something to attack with for a darkness based witch.

Im only gonna throw one point in whatever terrible weapon I can find to annoy everyone and so I can point to it and tell the tale of how I once again got something showed down my throat.
Sling is also a good candidate, Ill spend the entire combat aiming and trying to get a roll of 3.
Also neither the GM nor his GF can greek so the Gastraphetes is a good way of showing them digitus impudicus for that one point.
>>
>>44586132

Also Im considering beelining for manastones.
>>
>>44586132
>>44586151
Taking Reduced FP Cost on, say, Fireball is always pretty useful, as is a cheap as fuck Innate with the Magic source. Other than that, just put 1 point into Hard spells and 2 into Very Hard spells and bump your IQ or Magery instead. Cheaper and easier that way.
>>
>>44588138

Oh its going to be cheap enough...
As I said my biggest problem is I want some themed attack spell.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CastingAShadow?from=Main.DarkIsEdgy
Warning infinite time sing.

And my innate attack starts at 9, which is the freaking suck.
>>
>>44545691

I am working on the "M1078 LMTV" writeup at the moment.
>>
>>44588401

You are good and you should feel good.
Just thought you should know.
>>
>>44585579
I think explosive ammunition should only come into play if you specifically target it. Even then, it is pretty hard to detonate modern explosives.

And by the way, should it even have Fragile (Flammable)? Automatic fire extinguishers and self-sealing fuel tanks existed at least since WW2.
>>
>>44588987

It's hard to detonate modern explosives compared to black powder or something, yes. But high velocity impacts and hot fire can combine to make them go up. Note that it is a pretty rare thing (only on a critical failure) and a lot of modern fighting vehicles in high-tech have a 'x' on their HT score.

As for being flammable, I'd say it's a fairly safe bet. Self-sealing tanks can only do so much on a vehicle which is built as light as possible (with much of it's structure made from flammable aluminium), has fuel tanks much larger than a ground vehicle, full of stuff which is more flammable than ordinary gasoline, has loads of electronics, an engine which runs really hot, is full of explosives and propellant (which are flammable even if they aren't inclined to explode)...
>>
>>44589349
By the way, I'm planning to stat APCs now. I think it would be Sd Kfz 251 (maybe also M3), BTR-40, BTR-80, M113, and some modern 8-wheeled APC (Stryker or LAV III, maybe).
>>
>>44589670
Look at the VAB for some modern-country variety, maybe.
>>
>>44588265
Well, you've got a problem, then. Maybe taking the Innate Attack skill with Based On IQ and Source: Magic would help? Then you can just buy an innate attack. I'd recommend Corrosion, Toxin or Huge Piercing for an edge beam.
>>
>>44589670
For the WW2 ones it's worth checking the 3rd edition books for things like DR. Saves a bit of effort with the research.
>>
>>44590718
I don't have WW2 3e books on hand right now. Can you check DR for M3 and Hanomag for me?
>>
>>44584911

The battlefield magic Pyramid did Essential Spells, and used a much kinder version of the adjustable spells rules for them that I prefer.
>>
File: anon~.png (639 KB, 1574x992) Image search: [Google]
anon~.png
639 KB, 1574x992
>>44590761
>>
>>44591110
So, DR 20-25 all-around? Seems a little small. I may bump it to DR30 for front.
>>
File: Vehicle Collection 09.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Vehicle Collection 09.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44591176

Bear in mind that they weren't really combat vehicles in the same way that modern APCs are. I'm fairly confident that the numbers in those books are good because they will have been checked by Hans and he is serious about his vehicle research.

Anyway, latest version of the collection. I still haven't made much progress adding your good work to it, I'm afraid.

What I have done is add a 'vehicle component' section to cover stuff which I couldn't find described in High-Tech and explain some things which might not be obvious.

I'm still struggling to find dates for some weapon systems, which is annoying me.
>>
Is strength 11 to little for a melee fighter?
>>
>>44591999
ST 13 is often considered a bare minimum, as it gives two dice on swing damage. Still, if you are using thrust weapon, the difference between ST 11 and ST 13 is just one point of damage, and you can compensate for low damage with high skill (targeted attacks to vitals and armor chinks) and/or Weapon Master (damage bonus and Rapid Strikes). But don't forget that higher ST also has many bonuses, such as higher HP and BL.
Fun fact - you can't use "and/or" if you are writing official GURPS book
>>
>>44591999
Breakpoints are 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17

If you have access to weapon master, go for 13 or 17 (for additional Swing dice).

If you don't have access to Weapon Master, you're obviously not playing in a cinematic campaign, and 11 is great, probably even more worthwhile than 13.
If you DO have access to WM, you're in a high-point game, and ST 13 is a bare minimum if you want to be effective. Don't bother with 14, 15 or 16 though, either stick with 13 or go all the way to 17.
>>
>>44591999
It depends on a couple things, mostly scale, point levels, and the approach you're taking to fighting. It's worth remembering that ST 12 is considered really strong, basically the village strongman for your typical tiny fantasy villages. While you won't be the strongest man on the beach, even ST 11 puts you ahead of most others. As for point values, if you're 400-point badasses expected to tussle with demons, then yes ST 11 is pretty goddamn wimpy, the wizard should have that much. If you're a 75/-50 fantasy mercenary, though, it's not terrible; not great but not terrible. Similarly, expanding on what >>44592264 said, your less-than-stellar ST can be supported by putting those points into other places and playing to those other strengths. You won't be wading into combat hacking foes left and right like a barbarian, and your BL probably won't support superheavy invulnerability-granting armor. You'll also be missing out on is higher ST weapons like some 2H Axe/Maces, 2H Swords, and Polearms, but that's about it. That still leaves other options, though, like Reach+Shield to (relatively) safely nickel and dime enemies to death, using Tactics and/or Stealth to exploit what you have to deadly effect, and general high levels of skill to take down tough brutes.
>>
>>44571537
it sounds like you'd be better off not playing with these people,
>>
>>44592763

What's the point of ST 12? It gives you +1 Sw damage compared to ST 11, nothing else.
>>
>>44592950
Nothing much mechanically, but it's borderline exceptional according to Basic Set and Kromm's forum posts. ST 12 is around the point where a character's strength "is so great that his friends talk about it."
>>
>>44593260

So you're really buying ST 12 in the hopes that your GM will acknowledge it more often than he would if you just bought ST 11?

Such a scenario is bound to come up once or twice every campaign or so, ST 13 and ST 11 on the other hand gives you a mechanical benefit every fight you're in.
>>
>>44592950
Well, it is an increase of 1 afterall. Additional hit point, around 20% increase in damage and encumbrance, more pulling and grappling power (a lot of grappling checks depend on ST, even more with Power Grappling perk). You can use stronger bows, and some melee weapons without penalty (greatsword, great axe, morningstar, some poleaxes, lance).

In other words, you are a bit stronger; it really shows in a historical/realistic campaign. Probably nothing gamechanging for overpowered DF, though.
>>
>>44593397
No all I'm giving is one of the benchmarks for realistic characters and NPCs. If his game is low power or realistic (which I would assume if he's entertaining the idea of an ST 11 melee fighter) then that's worth noting. I didn't even recommend increasing ST 12. Get your panties out of a bunch.
>>
>>44592934

They are usually quite nice and Im not entirely sure whats up all of a sudden.
>>
>>44593437

>Additional hit point
Worth 3 points, regardless of ST.
>around 20% increase in damage and encumbrance
In Swing damage only, Thrust damage is unchanged. 4 lbs really doesn't give you much.
>more pulling and grappling power (a lot of grappling checks depend on ST, even more with Power Grappling perk). You can use stronger bows, and some melee weapons without penalty (greatsword, great axe, morningstar, some poleaxes, lance).
+1 Swing damage, which doesn't affect bows, a ST 12 bow is identical to a ST 13 bow. Also, "Huge Weapons" is a 1 point perk.
>>
>>44593566

Why on earth would he ever consider the idea of ST 12 though, when ST 11 and ST 13 are comparably WAY more powerful?
>>
>>44593651
Take regular bows, get a retardedly complex set up using that Low-Tech companion and use enchanted arrows. If the player moans, say you're just using an alternate method of landing your spells at distance. If that doesn't pass, then an Innate Attack with the Magic source, Melee (ST-Based) and Based On Alternate Stat (IQ) might work. Buff yourself to high hell with magic and wade into melee. Hell, building a wand or scepter or something into a sword will let you land touch spells with your weapon, making you even more of a menace to deal with.
>>
>>44593871
Could also use that Pyramid issue - 3/33, I think it was?
>>
So, hit locations with full-auto fire. How exactly does it work? I can't find anything written on it, and all of it hitting the same location seems weird to me.
>>
>>44595038
First shot hits the desired location, the rest are assumed to hit the torso or a random location as per the DM's ruling (random location requires more rolling but tends to favor survivability; yeah you can get a round to the eye if your roll is shit, but it's more likely to end up in the arm or leg where it'll be crippling but less lethal).
>>
>>44595155
Is that the official ruling? If so, could you tell me what page it could be found on? Thanks.
>>
To hell with hit locations, how do the Rapid Fire rules work with explosive weapons? Single explosion is bad enough, but when you have several of them? Hoo boy.
>>
>>44595347
Well shit, maybe it's a houserule? I swear it was official but I can't fucking find it. Maybe I just assumed because suppression fire is random hit location. There are posts on the forums by the devs that hold the same position I did (e.g. PK's post here: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=1696) but yeah, my bad, there's no official ruling, oddly enough.

>>44595415
It's fucking brutal, but that makes a lot of sense. Just make sure to track missed shots.
>>
>>44596305
Nah, I was talking about sheer amount of rolls you need to make with every explosion. Our group had to ban frag grenades for that exact reason.
>>
>>44596489
>sheer amount of rolls you need to make with every explosion
If you're talking about the rules for scatter, that's only if you're attacking the ground around a target; explosive rounds would be treated like normal bullets.

>frag
Fragmentation is slow as fuck on the table, though, so you're right about that taking forever to roll out. I say concussive or bust and just ignore frag damage.
>>
>>44596637
Nah, scatter is the least of a problem (especially since it doesn't come into play that often). Damage rolls are much worse. And then there are HT rolls, which are absolutely required for smaller grenades to be useful. Removing frag makes things barely manageable.
>>
>>44597003
I guess I've never read the rules on explosives closely. That's fucking stupid, you're already rolling to determine the size of the fucking blast, why reroll damage for every individual caught in it? For what it's worth, I've run it as one universal damage roll and divided it by distance as normal and haven't had any serious problems with it. What do you mean about HT rolls?

I'm starting to see what you mean about explosives being a bitch and a half to handle without serious houseruling what the fuck.
>>
>>44597263
To be fair, having to roll separately makes sense, because all grenades are supposed to have same amount of explosives into them and have same explosion radius, so the damage depends on the position. And explosion radius is not rolled, it is always the 2 x amount of damage dice. Also you can save time by rolling only once for several NPCs.
>>
File: XFullDisparo.jpg (239 KB, 974x643) Image search: [Google]
XFullDisparo.jpg
239 KB, 974x643
Say, is there any enhancement that lets you charge up a more powerful Innate Attack?
>>
>>44597856
I think there is such enhancement, but I can't remember which. You can just build a powerful attack that requires several rounds of preparation, and then build less powerful version as Alternate Power
>>
>>44597402
Holy FUCK I'm retarded. I don't even know how I misread these rules so badly. I thought you rolled for the initial burst, you hit everyone in damage*2 yards and then divided the damage by 3*yards of distance.

Jesus Christ. At least most of my games haven't seen a lot of explosives yet.
>>
>>44598190
Don't feel bad. My first campaign I somehow managed to completely miss rapid-fire attacks scoring hits based on margin of success on a single roll.

I made the machinegunner roll for each individual bullet. Fifteen rolls each time he attacked.
>>
>>44598366
First time we played, we somehow completely missed range penalties and then assumed that the only penalty for long range shooting is damage getting halved. We then wondered why ranges in weapon tables are so big, so we decided that they are in feet, not yards, and should be divided by three. Read the rules carefully, kids.
>>
>>44482229
Can GURPS 4th handle Kotodama use?
>>
>>44599066
>Kotodama or kototama (言霊?, lit. "word spirit/soul") refers to the Japanese belief that mystical powers dwell in words and names. English translations include "soul of language", "spirit of language", "power of language", "power word", "magic word", and "sacred sound". The notion of kotodama presupposes that sounds can magically affect objects, and that ritual word usages can influence our environment, body, mind, and soul.
Check Thaumatology, it had something similar.
>>
>>44599240
Will do, thanks.
>>
File: burning gojira.jpg (148 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
burning gojira.jpg
148 KB, 667x1000
Is there a way of altering the damage from Fragile (Explosive) from crushing to burning?
I want the character to explode in a big fireball.
Oh, if there is a way of increasing range of the explosion it would be great too.
>>
>>44599395
>>44599240
It seems you might've been thinking of Syntactic Magic. This should be close enough, thanks.
>>
>>44599578
I imagine that having a burning explosion instead of a crushing one could reasonably be treated as a special effect, since burning and crushing are roughly equivalent in value according to Innate Attack and anyway the kind of damage your death explosion deals doesn't really effect the disadvantageousness involved in suddenly, automatically, and irreversibly dying on a bad major wound roll, which is what you seem to be getting the points for mainly.
>>
File: kung_size.jpg (184 KB, 813x576) Image search: [Google]
kung_size.jpg
184 KB, 813x576
>>44559136

Anon, could you possibly do a write up of the KUNG trailer system? They seem interesting, but information in English is hard to find (googling 'kung' with pretty much anything just seems to get lots of kung-fu references).
>>
File: KUNG-HISTORY2-01-copy.jpg (68 KB, 560x419) Image search: [Google]
KUNG-HISTORY2-01-copy.jpg
68 KB, 560x419
>>44601847
Researching that in Russian is only slightly easier, since not only it does finds kung-fu references, but "kung" is also a genericized term for any hard canopy or heated van in Russia, so it also finds lots of used pickup ads. Still, I found a good article, and that's what I got from it.

KUNG is acronym for Body "Kuzov", Universal, Normal (Null) Gauge. Normal Gauge means it can be transported over European railways. Whole family of KUNG van bodies and trailers were developed in 1953-1968. The hull is made of sandwich of plywood, wooden panels, thermal insulation and steel sheets. All seams and windows (if there are any) are sealed. All models have air filtering and ventilation unit, electric lamps and heating system of some kind (ranging from electric heaters to wood-burning stoves) and can provide accommodation. Those were the only van bodies actually designated as KUNG - you can recognize them by round roof. They were cheap and easy to make, but also heavy, and sealing wasn't complete. In 60s, two new series were developed - K series (frameless, sandwich of aluminum, reinforced styrofoam panels and plywood) and KM-series (welded metal frame, aluminum sheets, foam insulator and plywood), which were lighter and had better sealing; ventilation systems also provide pressurization since 70s. Vans on your picture seem to be K-series ("П" stands for "Пpицeп", trailer; "ПП" stands for "Пoлyпpицeп", semi-trailer); both series are visually indistinguishable.
http://www.gruzovikpress.ru/article/3219-istoriya-poyavleniya-kuzovov-universalnyh-nulevogo-normalnogo-gabarita-chto-takoe-kung/
>>
>>44599578
>>44599810
Incendiary is a +10% enhancement that basically gives crushing damage all the benefits of burning damage.
Area of effect is a +50% enhancement which doubles the radius of the area of effect.
The explosion does 6d damage * HP/10
In powers it recommends that if you'd like to add an enhancement to a natural attack, stat it as an advantage, costing it as if the damage was an innate attack.
If the bearer of the disadvantage has max hp of 10, this is a 6d crushing attack, which would normally cost 30 points. So the "Incendiary Explosion" advantage would cost 3 points. The advantage "Increased Area of Effect Explosion" likewise would double the area of effect for 15 points a level.
Seems like overall, this will make Fragile (Brittle) actually cost points.
>>
>>44602675
>normally
Since it's only going to happen if the character dies, you can safely divide the cost of the innate attack by 5; basically you're applying the logic of the Favor advantage (single-use Ally) to a different advantage.

I've heard a few others on the official forum say that this kind of death-explosion would probably be fine as a mere perk since you're only going to see any use out of it if your character dies.
>>
>>44603270
Sure; I definitely agree with the 1/5 cost thing since it is a 1 use ability. Though I personally wouldn't know if I would call it a mere perk, because if we stretch it to some weird limits, it would probably cause some problems if we stretched this beyond all logical limits if someone had a robot ally that, when destroyed, would explode with the force of an atomic bomb.
>>
>>44599578
Is this for your character or some badguy thing?
>>
>>44603270
This is from one of the dev's blogs. While not a perk, costs are significantly reduced from the base.
>>
So /gurpsgen/, I'm building some psionic abilities using Psionic Powers as a leaping-off point and wanted to add a Teleportation power based on Snatcher. Here's what I want it to do:

>Choose an object within 10 yards, pay 2 FP and make IQ roll
>If the roll is successful, item appears in your hand
>If the item is held by someone else, they can resist with their ST vs your IQ

The first one I came up with was:

Snatcher (Range Limit: 10 yards, -50%; Recall, -25%; Teleportation, -10%) [16]

but Recall can't take objects that aren't yours and the Range Limit limitation is only intended for Warp. Range Limit in particular gives such a massive discount I'm not convinced that it's fair to apply it to this. My other attempt, after searching the SJG forums for a solution, was:

Telekinesis 15 (Attraction Only, -60%; Teleportation, -10%) [22.5]

I initially wasn't happy with using TK for what's supposed to be a teleportation power, but the fact that TK naturally only works at 10 yards, has no restrictions on what you can and can't affect, and treats your TK level as ST for the Quick Contest is making me warm up to it.

Any advice?
>>
>>44500379

Anon, have you got any idea what the difference between the Flight Technician and the Flight Engineer for the Mi-26 is?

In English the two terms seem to mean the same job (basically a guy who makes sure the engines and stuff are all in working order while the aircraft is in the air), but it seems weird that there would be two names for similar roles. Is it maybe a translation issue from Russian?
>>
>>44605142
From GURPS Supers:
Affliction
See pp. B35-36
To teleport people or objects without teleporting yourself at the same time, buy Affliction (Advantage: Warp). To send objects away from yourself only, take Affliction with Melee Attack, Range C (-35%). To teleport people or objects to yourself only, base the Affliction on Warp with a special form of the Anchored limitation, worth -40%: anchored to your own body. To limit this to small objects, add Exoteleport (p. 30) to Warp, and possibly some level of Extra Carrying Capacity. Then use the lower-cost version of Warp to determine the percentage for the Advantage modifier.
>>
Could I make a variant on ST-based, for a Will-Based melee Fatigue attack? Some sort of psi-sword like thing.
>>
>>44607178
I've never seen it done before, but if I had to, I'd stat it as a regular strength based attack, and then add the modifier based on will attribute.
>>
>>44606452
Affliction 1 (Warp, +1000%; Anchored, you only, -50%; Reduced Max Range 10, -30%; Accessibility, only on items that can fit in your hand and weigh less than 5 lb., -80%; Based on Wielder's ST, +20%; Requires IQ roll, -10%; Costs 2 FP, -10%) [99]

The only bit that's not 100% RAW is replacing the item's HT-based resistance roll with a wielder's ST roll, as it doesn't always apply (e.g. unattended objects). However, I don't think that removal of a resistance roll is wholly unfair as you still need to roll IQ to do it in the first place.
>>
Do you think GURPS would work well for a campaign based on Infinity (the skirmish game, not the Disney thing)? What books would I need
>>
>>44608598
Need more information aboit Infinity to advice something.
>>
I'm kinda looking for an inverse of the limitation Blockable.

I'm not sure if it exists anywhere, but would it be reasonable to say an enhancement to make an attack that can only be defended against by a subset of active defenses would cost less than irresistible attack?

For example, a fireball that outputs a great deal of convective heat might not be turned by a shield, but could be dodged; or some kinda psychic/magic energy bolt that might be too big to sidestep, but for reasons (I just want it to work that way) it dissipates safely if blocked by a shield.

I was thinking the fair value of this might be 1/3rd of the value of irresistible attack, or it might be 75 percent of the value of irresistible attack, following the guidance on p.99 of powers for the accessibility modifier. It might just be a 20% because most innate attacks are normally only dodge-able, but trading the dodge capability for a block capability would be similar to the "based on a different attribute" enhancement. Any opinions or references to an example?
>>
>>44608620
Sci-fi future. Humanity can travel through deep space via gates/wormholes, and reached out to about a dozen habitable systems by now. Humanity is still balkanized, not just by nation but by corporate allegiances too. There's also contact with another alien culture who want to annex humanity into their empires. Military action is never overt, as diplomats maintain an appearance of civility while "rogue insurgents" are dealt with "police actions" among the colonies, and "unsanctioned criminals" are eliminated with "unfortunately" too little evidence to identify them. While the main powers of humanity fight a constant cold war, an interstellar Combined Army seeks to conquer and assimilate humanity's knowledge and technology.
>>
>>44608688
GURPS generally works well with most sci-fi settings, although you may need to adjust stats of weapons/armor to have the right feel from combat. GURPS Basic Set is a must (as always), Ultra Tech (for equipment) and Space (for space-related rules) highly recommended, I would also look at Tactical Shooting to improve combat and Powers to make characters easier.
>>
>>44608688
Tldr its a kind of anime-y cyberpunk setting. Lots of kind of crazy shit. Combat Catholic priests, neo-imperial Chinese ninjas, scottamericarussiafrench werewolves, ancient Greek heroes recreated as cyborgs, etc. Kind of cinematic but also kind of grounded as far as abilities gk
>>
>>44608598
As a battlefield: Ultra-Tech, a 32 GB folder of booty pics, maybe Martial Arts for crusaders and certain ALEPH units (though the basic rules are enough for most any other melee-focused character).
As a whole setting: The above, plus Social Engineering (and maybe SE: Boardroom and Curia) as the game focuses on shadow-skirmishes meshing with financial and political drama. Maybe Spaceships.

>>44608620
Skirmish-level wargame with a post-cyberpunk setting. Open warfare is no longer a huge issue, as the real global powers, mostly megacorps of varying flavors, prefer to settle things with closed door meetings. When those fail, small elite teams of soldiers and saboteurs get called in to deal with things quickly, quietly, and most of all deniably. Power-armored TAGs rub shoulders with infantry, hackers, thermo-optically camouflaged troopers, etc.

There's also some evil aliens that are right around the corner, plus some less evil ones really into bioengineering.
>>
>>44608669

You're probably thinking of "No active defense allowed", not "Irresistible Attack", Irresistible Attack is the one that ignores DR.

Remember there's Cone and Area Effect, with those you can for example make a wide bolt of energy that is too wide for most people to dodge out of, and you can add Blockable on top of that.

Other than that, I think +20% is too generous. Everyone and their mother can dodge, usually relatively reliably if they hit the dirt, while a block from a shield is only usable once per round, only effective from front and shield-arm side, and requires the shield-bearer to have a readied shield - Most people don't.
>>
>>44608576

I looked up the modifier in Supers (from >>44606970) and Anchored should be applied to the Warp, not the Affliction. Either way, the Exoteleport power in Psionic Powers uses the same thing, and applying the Anchored limitation is pointless because the Warp used for Exoteleport already costs the minimum of 20 points. You get less utility for the same points.

The only way to get it cheaper is to do the thing from the Limitations Power-Ups book where a GM can declare a lower minimum. Good thing I'm the GM.
>>
How would you do RIFTS in GURPS?
>>
File: 800px-BTR-152-latrun-2.jpg (123 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
800px-BTR-152-latrun-2.jpg
123 KB, 800x600
Every time I try to stat new type of vehicle, I meet new type of problem. For example - I can't find empty weight or load of most APCs. And then there is a Load - apparently, you can hang two tons of armor on VAB or who knows how many tons of armor on Stryker and call it a day.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.