[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Universe (Lore Discussion Only)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: 1450392127098.jpg (46 KB, 447x539) Image search: [Google]
1450392127098.jpg
46 KB, 447x539
Is it safe to assume that by the time of Episode 7, the New Republic had already been declining for some time, with the First Order riding a general wave of discontent and uncertainty?

Seems like the Order was already on its way to being the most dominant political force in the galaxy, with the Republic maybe never actually taking off because its leaders were only any good at being resistance fighters, unable fill the power vacuum and return the old system to its former glory. They may have even intentionally tried to be less centralized so people wouldn't think they were forging yet another empire.

This would help explain why the Resistance was probably the only major force left opposing the Order, with secret backing by a waning, impotent and woefully disorganized Republic.

That was my impression anyway. Seems like the Republic went too soft on former Imperials and other renegade threats, while not being all that effective at governing themselves.

Without strong and decisive leadership, systems eventually started turning back to fascism.
>>
>Star Wars thread (no talking about traditional games plz)

Are you legit mentally handicapped?
>>
>>44481489
Not only are you in the wrong part of 4chan, you're in the wrong website entirely.

This is why Reddot is a thing.
>>
>>44481489
All threads are /tg/ related, OP, but there is a decorum to be observed. You need to say "stat me" or "what if there was a campaign here?" or "quest" or "40k", and then its all okay.
>>
what would TR-8R's stats be in WH40K?
>>
>>44481489
I thought the first order was an imperial remnant faction
>>
>>
>>44482464

Legitimate question, is his name actually TR-8R, because if it is the actual name of that guy, I just got super fucking happy.
>>
For me it seems that Republic was going great until about 15 years before TFA. Then some sort of shitstorm has happened and is started to go down. First Order, being a empire remnant shard seized the opportunity to become a biggest power in galaxy.
>>
>>44483107
What I don't get is how the supposed fragment of the Empire, with a fraction of the resources, managed to build the Super Death Star and still be able to pay its grunts.
>>
>>44483170
Grunts likely aren't payed. These ones were taken at birth and indoctrinated.
>>
>>44483170
Maybe they didn't build it.
>>
>>44483234
Well then you're taking on the job of feeding them yourself, which would just cost more.
>>
>>44483361
... you believe that it's cheaper to pay an army enough for them to provide themselves with food rather than only feed them on an institutional level?
>>
>>44481660
>>44481511
Where should lore discussion go?
/tv/?
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>44482078
10/10
>>
>>44481489
I got the feeling the First Order was more of a cult or a terrorist cell - A particularly large and effective one that built a superweapon without anyone knowing it, but on a galactic scale they're relatively small politically and ideologically.

The speak and the way they refer to Snopes just screams cult, and despite their apparent size you have to remember to think galactically - Having a couple of planets is relatively small change, the CIS did that back in the Prequel trilogy and they were far from the dominant force in the galaxy.

I do want to know why the New Republic felt they couldn't officially challenge the First Order, but perhaps the FO was the legitimate planetary governance in their area and they didn't want to look like they were just doing what the Empire was doing, butting their heads into everyone's business with military force instead of diplomatic force. That's why the Resistance had to be an unofficial anti-Order force, which the First Order took as a declaration of war and blew up their planet.

It'll be interesting to see whether any of this gets any fleshing out in the next movie, but I have a feeling that all of the interesting ramifications are going to be in novelizations and background prose. I mean, who wants to watch a Star Wars movie that's mostly politics, anyways?
>>
>>44483507
>who wants to watch a Star Wars movie that's mostly politics

I see what you did there friend. The prequels seemed like Lucas jerking off democracy to an unprecedented extent.
>>
I have a feeling that the star forge may be revealed to be a thing.
>>
>>44481489
It seems that way because the whole movie is woefully retarded and has none of the worldbuilding of the originals.
The republic never fucking appears except to get shot at. Imperial remnant doesn't appear, ever. First order and resistance would be the major players in the galaxy from what can be seen. It's dumb, and it's hard to draw intelligent conclusions from that much stupidity.
>>
>>44481489
Ironically in the old EU it had the opposite problem of being to hardliners against former imperials creating a whole crap load of people with nowhere to go but imperial remnants
>>
Something that really bothered me is that the Republic forces were called the "Resistance" implying there's a lack of support from the government despite the fact they're all part of the Republic military and the whole point of the Rebel Alliance in the original trilogy was to restore the Republic.

At a guess, this is JJ trying to make the nod (one of about 50 others) to the originals where the heroes are the plucky underdogs. That doesn't work in a setting where the good guys won though and became the legitimate authorities. Seriously, why not just send a Republic fleet and call it what it is? A Republic fleet despatched to deal with a threat to the safety of the citizens of the Republic.
>>
>>44483891

That's because the Resistance doesn't have the support of the New Republic. At least openly. There almost a kin to a state sponsored terror cell.
>>
>>44481489
The First Order is dead, if you use a planet killing super weapon then the fear of that weapon is the only thing keeping the rest of the galaxy from killing you before you can kill them, if you lose that weapon then everyone's out to get you before you can build another. As it stands now there's no way any "neutral" planet would try and keep the First Order safe and even without the New Republic fleet the rest of the galaxy should be looking to take them out.
>>
>>44484118
unless they're bad guys in which case they will do stupid things because they're evil
>>
>>44483949
When Leia Organa, hero of the Rebellion, and probably holder of a significant position in the new government, is acting as General and commanding officer for the unit, though it may not be said openly, everyone knows the Republic are supporting them.

My issue with it though is how it's left completely unexplained if they are unofficially official, or actually official.
>>
>>44484118
Hail Hydra
>>
>>44481489

I've always thought that the first order was the hardcore right wing, kind of like senators and congressmen voted in by TX and TN. They just launched a coup towards the end as the Republic refused to kick them out because democracy.
>>
>>44483100

It's not, it came from IMDB. JJ isn't that clever.
>>
>>44481489
>with the Republic maybe never actually taking off because its leaders were only any good at being resistance fighters
You know, wasn't most of the Rebellion's political power centered on an around Alderaan?I'm guessing that the Rebellion probably lost most of its people most capable of managing the New Republic in A New Hope. I mean, what leadership do we see in the movies? By Hoth, the Rebellion seems like it's mostly run and commanded by military officers. I doubt that those men and women could transition easily into managing a galaxy-wide Republic, and I doubt the Empire with its cronyism had many people who could also be trusted post-war to manage anything.
Grand Moff Tarkin was a real fucking evil genius, I think. Basically crippled the Rebellion.

Do we know of any other planets or organizations with public presence who survived post-Republic and kept or developed sympathies with the Rebellion?
>>
>>44483234
Yeah but you have to pay whoever raises and indoctrinates them
>>
The real question you should be asking is why the hell is there still a Resistance when they freaking won? What kind of paramilitary organisation is Leia running that the Galactic Republic were just happy to have her standing around doing nothing?
>>
>>44484229
It's a problem that we will need additional material to clear that up, I'm not arguing against that, but I believe that that will happen.
>>
The First Order is more cartoonish than silver-age superhero comics. They exist and do bad stuff because an enemy has to exist for the already-planned story to happen. They blew up a bunch of planets out of nowhere because they needed to establish that they were evil and powerful. There is no actual ideology or purpose beyond 100% meta reasons. Only thing that bothered me about the movie really.
>>
>>44486508
I suppose this is kinda true. At least then Alderran was blown up they suspected that there was a rebel base there, but it was as much that as it was an example out of defiance towards the empire. I never quite got why they just blew up 3 planets. Unless one of those actually was Couresant (the main hub of the republic of course) then I can kiiiiiind of see why.
>>
>>44485513
Nah, new EU says that they're Imperial Remnants who gathered together in the Unknown Regions
>>
>>44486508
As opposed to the empire, who's motivations were totally reasonable and explained in depth. I mean, it's not like the emperor wasn't the most cartoonish, one note, and over the top villain ever put to celluloid, is it?
>>
File: 1451599350813.jpg (84 KB, 659x659) Image search: [Google]
1451599350813.jpg
84 KB, 659x659
>>44489092

The Emperor you say?
>>
take the shit to /lit/
>>
>>44489280
/lit/ is a shithole, though.
>>
>>44483585
One can only hope.

>>44483891
If I remember correctly from a previous discussion, the Republic is more or less demilitarized for one reason or another.
>>
>>44489280
>/lit/
>the discussion isn't about literature
>>
>>44489355

>/tg/
>the discussion isn't about traditional games. It's just a thinly veiled excuse to have no integrity and talk about a movie.
>>
File: 1423834440075.jpg (48 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
1423834440075.jpg
48 KB, 400x302
>>44489389
>integrity
>/tg/
>4chan

Pic related.
>>
>>44489389
Not saying it belongs here either.
>>
>>44489505
>>44489389
/sf/ when?
>>
>>44489574
/samefag/?
>>
>>44489591
/science fiction/
>>
>>44489628
But we already have a board for that >>>/trash/
>>
Besides the witches of Dathomir, are there any other big non-Jedi, non-Sith force schools? The curved spectrum philosophy 101 of Jedi v Sith is cool and all, but I'd like to know more about people who don't buy in to that shit.
>>
File: Ewoks.jpg (54 KB, 500x412) Image search: [Google]
Ewoks.jpg
54 KB, 500x412
How would you feel about Ewoks being brought back in episode 8? I'm not saying having them as major characters, but an Ewok hanging in a cantina, or as member of Leia's army would be rad. Maybe as part of a battle, shooting stormtroopers with a mini blaster rifle?

Also how long, realistically would it take for Ewoks to integrate with galactic society if exposed at the end of jedi? They were pretty smart, just kind of primitive.
>>
>>44489628
Star Wars isn't really sci-fi, though. It's fantasy in space.
>>
>>44489698
Lots of little ones, no really big orders. The Dathomir Nightsisters are pretty small on a galactic scale as well.
The only big ones that come to mind are the Jensaarai, the Potentium, the White Current or Fallanasii or whatever they were, the Sorcerers of Tund, Palawa, and maybe the Grey Jedi
>>
>>44483507
The fighting between the Resistance and the First Order seemed to be almost like a proxy war to me - The FO definitely seemed small change territory wise, but they had to have some major funding to make Death Star the Third (and apparently trick out all their TIE fighters).

It kind of makes sense, since there's no way the Republic could up and start ruling over the entire galaxy, the Empire had way too much infrastructure to be taken out just by losing a few of their leaders. In order for there to be some level of peace in the galaxy, the Republic and what's left of the Empire made some kind of treaty and are technically at peace.

Now, since the Empire has funding but can't directly challenge the Republic, it'd make sense for them to secretly channel funding to a group opposing the Republic, either forming the First Order or just funding an already present group.

At this point it'd be a politically difficult situation for the Republic to openly fight the FO, since it's pretty obvious they're getting Imperial funding, and the formerly rebel military of the Republic was better at guerrilla warfare anyway, so it'd be easier to just fund a small resistance group to fight the war for them. So now we have a space cold war with the two powers just fighting each other through proxy groups.

Hopefully something gets fleshed out in the next movie, at least some idea of what happened after the war. I mean, if the Empire did up and kick the bucket than this theory goes right out the window.
>>
why is it riot troopers have always had shock poles but then they make this 20 times to small shield/break your wrist combo
>>
>>44489769
in new canon, empire is gone and FO was formed by remnants, supposedly as if the Nazis had escaped to Argentina and rebuilt in secret.
>>
>>44483507
>Having a couple of planets is relatively small change, the CIS did that back in the Prequel trilogy and they were far from the dominant force in the galaxy.

I think people are forgetting just how mind-blowingly huge the Star Wars galaxy really is (just like all galaxies really). In the Clone Wars tv series, the leader of Mandalore at one point casually mentions that she's leading a non-aligned group of systems that aren't siding with either the Republic or CIS. There's 1,500 systems in that group. If a minor group of un-aligned worlds is 1,500 strong, then the numbers of worlds on both sides must be immense. The opening scrawl in episode 2 states that "several thousand" star systems have joined CIS.

In light of all that, it's not surprising that The New Order can go relatively un-noticed. We know little about the state of the galaxy between The Battle of Endor and TFA, but it's not hard to imagine the Republic having their hands full trying to police that many systems, especially given that the Empire doubtless had plenty of resources left over that would be seized by regional warlords.
>>
>>44483170
>>44483234
>>44486170
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries

The new order are basically the Ottomans.
>>
>>44483170
My head-canon is that technology has advanced enough that while the super death star might be better than the old one (debatable) it required significantly less resources to create. Like how making a computer of the level of a calculator is nothing nowadays, but would be a huge undertaking decades ago.
>>44483234
That's not how it works, retard. Money has no worth in itself. It's the actual things you buy with money that matter. And that's what's in short supply.
>>
>>44483432
Yes a general discussion of a primarily film based franchise should go in /tv/
>>
>>44481660

That sounds like something...a redditor would say.
>>
>>44490518
>giving a shit about Reddit
Oh sorry, I'll leave you and the other /b/tards to it then, shall I?
>>
>Phasma enters a room alone
>She walks over to a communication console and begins a transmission to a figure off camera
>"Admiral, the First Order has been dealt a crippling blow. The remnants will now have no choice but to join us"
>Camera Pans to reveal Grand Admiral Thrawn
>>
>>44491284
WOAH SO COOL
Shame it will never, ever happen.
>>
>>44490511
Go to /tv/ and you'll see why Star Wars threads are better off here. They are a step above /v/ermin.
>>
>this is allowed but the pokemon threads aren't
they were at least posting in-character
>>
>>44492395
this
>>
>>44491284
that would indeed be far better then anything we'l see from Empire strikes back 2.0, with new and improved jedi!
>>
>>44492395
There's a reason it was moved to /vp/ anon. And posting in character was quite a large part of it.
>>
>>44489769
The new books already confirmed that the Empire as we knew it is gone however, there are multiple factions like the FO that consider themselves successor to the Empire. We probably won't see them in the new trilogy though.
>>
>>44492370
Too bad. The rule is written. You don't get to break it just because the intended place for such discussion has cooties.
The name of the board is "traditional games", not "literally every topic imaginable". If the mods didn't want boundaries, there would just be one big board.
>>
>>44494695
Seeing as this thread is still here, I guess they don't
>>
>>44490119

Thing is, I feel like the writers of the movies are unaware of this as well, given that the New Republic and its fleet can apparently be totally destroyed by blowing up 4 planets.
>>
Is it just me or is Kylo lacking in the WIS department?
>Kylo, bring me the complete box set of Firefly!
>>Hey, I got you this chick who saw a couple episodes instead, we cool?
>>
>>44483100
Supposedly in the novel he's FN-2004, one of Finn's squad mates you see in the beginning of the movie.
>>
The First Order, AFAIK, is an imperial remnant that reunited under Snoke in a corner of the galaxy after a decade of infighting. After the Emperor died, the Empire - which was still huge and well armed - fragmented into moffs fighting each other over the peices while the new republic retook and fortified the core systems.

When Snoke appeared he unified the remaining peices of the Empire, but by that point it was a small fraction of its former size. A decade of war and attrition combined with the prospect of fighting a new and rejuvenated Empire brought the Republic to the peace table, and an uneasy cold war/cease fire settled across the Galaxy. Meanwhile, despite the fact that the NR was a democracy and therefore subject to war fatigue doesn't mean it was stupid, so they began to engage in a proxy war with TFO via propping up independent states and funding The Resistance - very much like the West did with eastern Europe and the Middle east post WW2.

Still, given the time to consolidate and recover, the first order was able to build up a sizable military force, and despite the official peace between them and the republic they considered them their true enemies. So they struck at the Republics fleet stationed at those planets you see vaped, TNRs naval power via the Mon calamari always being a strong suit.

Basically, TFO = Neo Nazis x the ottomans x Soviet Russia, and TNR = Britain, US, and NATO. The Sun Gun attack = Pearl Harbour
>>
>>44497563

>After the Emperor died, the Empire - which was still huge and well armed - fragmented into moffs fighting each other over the peices while the new republic retook and fortified the core systems.

Wow, what a compelling story that totally hasn't been told before!
>>
>>44497598
I assume you're being sarcastic because this is what has happened to just about every terrestrial Empire in history?
>>
From this fucking love story told against the back drop of the original trilogy book I'm reading, the Empire and the Republic separated and made a treaty to avoid each other, while the Imperial Remnants rebuilt in the unknown regions.

If I had to guess I'd say this First Order is a Fanatical sect of the Empire, just as the Resistance is a sect of the Republic. Think like the Empire in Legacy which really wanted nothing to do with the Dark Side or the Sith, with Darth Krayt being the Snoke. If true I'd guess the next movie might involve Snoke taking power and turning the Order focused Empire full Sheev.
>>
>>44497634
I don't think Snoke would have attacked if he didn't have all the remaining Imperial moffs in line, he seems too reasonable for that
>>
>>44497612

I was referring to Gilad Pellaeon, Sate Pestage, Ysanne Isard, Natasi Daala, Mitth'raw'nuruodo, Jerec, Galak Fyyar and others.
>>
>>44486508
So you just didn't pay attention then?

How did so many people miss the fact that strike was meant to remove the main Republic fleet?
>>
>>44497707

And where were we shown the main fleet being destroyed in the film, exactly?

Oh, sure, we are TOLD that they are destroyed, but all I saw were some planets blowing up.

How the FUCK does planets blowing up destroy the FLEET, which is in SPACE?
>>
>>44497714
Thanks for proving my point.

The fleet is in orbit around those worlds and is destroyed on screen, when an entire planet explodes instantly there tends to be collateral.
>>
What if Snoke is an Exar Kun like figure.
>>
>>44481489
My understanding was that the New Republic and the First Order had an armistice, as they were both crawling back from the brink and neither wanted an open conflict. The resistance existed as a splinter group to keep the first order in check, funded and supported in secret by the Republic. Once Starkiller Station was in place, the First Order could perform a decisive and crippling attack against the New Republic's fleets and leaders.
>>
>>44497723

Blowing up a planet =/= blowing up a ship

So you're telling me that the ENTIRE REPUBLIC FLEET, the FLEET OF THE REPUBLIC, in ALL ITS ENTIRETY, was in low orbit around the destroyed planets?

GREAT SCRIPT GUYS GOOD JOB
>>
>>44481489
Its fucking explained in the credit intro.

The New Republic and the Empire enter in to an armistice after a terrible Empire defeat. The Empire is more of a subjugated nation wherein they cannot have a military. From this the First Order springs, a para-military organisation aiming to restore the Galactic Empire to its old glory.

To combat this and maintain the appearances of peace, the New Republic create the Resistance, a special task force dedicated to hunting down the First Order and, presumably, any other Empire-aligned faction.
>>
File: tumblr_lkdpw84YY01qd58j4o1_500.gif (496 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lkdpw84YY01qd58j4o1_500.gif
496 KB, 500x385
>>44489389
Let's say OP had put the following sentance in the begining of his post
"I'm running a Edge of the Empire game set durring the time of the new mive and have been doing some theory crafting on the Political Climate of that era"
Everything else would be exactaly the same, the lore of Star Wars IS the lore of many /tg/ games. So I have to ask, how can you talk about one without talking about the other when they are the same exact thing?
>>
>>44497778
So if they did an alternate history film where the Japanese somehow had the bomb and nuked Hawaii without warning you would call bullshit if this crippled the US Pacific Fleet?

Nobody said 'the entire fleet of the Republic' except you.
>>
>>44497778
It's likely meant as an analogue to the pearl harbour bombing, which would have legit anihilated Americas fleet if not for a random exercise by some ships
>>
>>44497904

They literally said it in the film. They LITERALLY said that the Republic fleet is destroyed.

Stop it with your fucking false equivilency argument about Japan or some shit, who even gives a flying fuck about that, are you a complete fucking moron? We're talking about a fucking children's space movie you complete retard.
>>
>>44497930
If this is a children's movie why are you quibbling over the logistical details of an entire fleet being stationed in one system?
>>
>>44497930
A space movie from a franchise based on WW2 films with an Axis pastiche villain yes. See >>44497916, its obvious if you are not stupid.
>>
>>44497959

There is zero analog between blowing up the center of a spacefaring government and attacking an island.
>>
>>44497959
>based on WW2 films

I want this meme to end.

Star Wars is based on Japanese films.

>B-BUT MUH DOGFIGHTING MOMENTS IN A NEW HOPE ARE CLEARLY BASED ON THEM

The story of A New Hope is taken directly from the Japanese.
>>
>>44497982
Now you're being willfully obtuse. Stop trolling anon you're gonna have a bad time
>>
>>44497996
A new hope and the OT are based on Samurai movies yes.

JJ Abrahms however had openly said the Nazis and the Neo Nazis are the inspiration for the first order. Different trilogy, different rules
>>
>>44497982
First strike intended to cripple a powerful fleet and allow a government freedom of action to achieve their strategic and political goals.

No, no relation whatsoever.

>>44497996
And you are being wilfully obtuse if you are pretending its just the dogfighting that is WW2 influenced.
>>
Its beyond me why we didnt get to watch the Sith/Imperials devour each other. What a great chance to explore the ideology and motivations behind the Sith and those who follow them.

Not a thing about the First Order is explained in the movie besides them being A defeated remnant of the Empire. What about the other remnants? Why is the First Order the top dog of the Sith? Who the fuck are the Knights of Ren, why was that never explained? Who is Snoke? He's never been mentioned before in anything, why are we supposed to be afraid of him? Whats his motivations? Why is there a rivalry between Kylo Ren and the Imperial general? Who is Phasma and why should we care and why is she a pushover? Why are the First Order stealing children to raise as troopers? They have entire planets backing them already. How did the First Order manage to build an entire fucking fortress planet without the Resistance, whose sole job is to monitor the First Order, finding out?

TFA raised so many questions but in a bad way. There are no hints of greater workings behind the scenes, no exposition of the world and how its changed. Its a Sci-Fi action movie with a bland, cliche story and plot-armoured characters.
>>
>>44497634
How the fuck can Snoke take power?

The First Order was defeated in the first movie, utterly defeated. Sure the leaders might still live but if they pull another fucking planet fortress from nowhere it would just compound the lazy writing.
>>
>>44498033

Yeah, and since their planet blew up, all of their ships blew up as well, accoridng to this fucking retard >>44497723

The ENTIRE First Order is now destroyed. Good going, JJ
>>
>>44498024
>Why are the First Order stealing children to raise as troopers?

That one is so fucking obvious its suspicious you even asked.
>>
>>44489713
It would be absolutely, totally pointless. Disney retconned the battle of Endor completely, having an ewok turn up would just be a nod to something that isnt even canon anymore. TFA and the new story is a clusterfuck of references, meme-behaviour and plain bad writing already without adding short wookies to the list.
>>
>>44498024
That was my biggest problem with what I considered an otherwise great movie, the complete lack of anything being explained. However, consider the following.

1. J J Abrahms is a fucking hack and a miserable person who believes strongly in a concept called The Mystery Box. The Mystery Box dictates that the less you tell an audience, the more engaged they are. This and shiny shit are his tell tale, wherever he can he tells the audience nothing and lets them draw their own conclusions. In a well written suspense or horror movie this is a great idea, but he applies it to EVERYTHING. His influence on the director of Godzilla, incidentally, is why we don't see any monstet fighting until the very fucking end. It's insufferable.

2. Disney was clearly aiming this at children, and conventional wisdom is kids movies cannot clock in at more than. 90 minutes or you lose the audience. This was nearly an hour longer than that, from their perspective the production was likely already bloated and overly long.

3. A great deal of the explanation will probably come via non cinema supplementals like TV shows, comics, toys etc. Star Wars is Disney's test bed for taking the Marvel expanded universe concept beyond just movies and into every facet of marketing.

4. It's obvious they were fucking terrified of this movie a d potential backlash and took as few risks as possible, making it almost shot for shot a retread of New Hope for securities sake.
>>
>>44498047
All I said was that the fleet they mention blows up on screen, do you get off on being retarded on purpose?

I never claimed every single ship in Republic space spontaneously combusted, that was all you. Are you mad because other people paid more attention to the film than you?
>>
>>44481489
If you are correct, then it seems that the Galaxy is damned to neverending conflict until the next tyrannical force takes over
>>
>>44498066
>Disney retconning ewoks

This had to be false, the ewoks are iconic and marketable and part of the OT. All of that spells MONEY to Disney
>>
>>44489954
The Empire isn't gone. The Empire is under an armistice which states they cannot have a military. The First Order was the Empires response, either that or the Empire is funding them.

No way in fucking hell a rebel faction could build a fortress planet in 30 years without outside help.
>>
>>44498066
>Disney retconned the battle of Endor completely,

I have seen some big lies on the internet in my time but this is the biggest one I have seen this year.
>>
>>44498068
>do you get off on being retarded on purpose?

Attacking the person instead of the argument is shitposting.
>>
>>44498073
Traditionally, a lot of star wars media portrays galactic events as very cyclical, so you aren't far off
>>
>>44498059
How.
How is it obvious, explain it to me please I clearly have missed something important.
>>
>>44498047
Thaaank you.

At this point the setup seems to be about a Star Wars galaxy absolutely FRACTURED with dozens of factions. If JJ does it right what comes next could be some of the greatest stories told in Star Wars. TFA was bumpy as all hell with poor plot and characters but it sets the grand stage. The only two factions in the galaxy capable of uniting it destroyed each other. Now the galaxy should fall to anarchy with hundreds of independant empires and alliances forming, with our main characters right at the center of it all trying to re-unite the Republic.
>>
>>44498047
I sincerely doubt the first order has been wiped out, much as the Empire wasn't at the end of A New Hope.

Given the way this is going, the first order are going to stick around for two more movies until Snoke is killed inside their OTHER suoerweapon by a repentant Kylo Ren

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
>>44498127
But JJ won't be directing the next two films.
>>
>>44498148
Thank god
>>
>>44498165
If you saw the the other two directors for VIII and IX, you'll take that back.
>>
>>44481489
This is not explained well in the movie at all, but what happened beteen episodes VI and VII was this:
>After the destruction of the 2nd Death Star over Endor, the Empire was largely defeated and dissolved, making way for a new Galactic Republic. The Rebel Alliance had won
>Remnants of the old Empire fled the charted reaches of the galaxy to the Unknown Reaches outside of the Republic's influence and began to conquer small colonies on the fringes of the galaxy, providing resources for the remnants who would later call themselves the First Order under the guidance of a new leader revealed to them out in the fringes, Supreme Leader Snoke
>The Galactic Republic did not see this small group of Empire remnants at the edge of the galaxy as a threat and largely ignored them and demilitarized the Republic
>However, notable leaders of what was previously the Rebel Alliance still recognized the group as a threat, and formed a small cell at the edge of the galaxy to stand vigil against the First Order, this group became known as the Resistance
The entire movie takes place at the ass end of the galaxy in the small region under the First Order's sphere of influence. Starkiller base is still bullshit but supposedly they were able to build it because they were so far away from the Republic that nobody knew about it.
>>
>>44498173
W-what?
>>
>>44498183
This makes more sense, though I had assumed starkiller base was just another one of the emperors wacky projects they found and finished, recalling that the original death star was being worked on as early as the beginning of the clone war
>>
>>44498188
The next one is "literally who"

He directed all of 6 movies with only two of them being notable. Looper (a meme movie because it's premise is on time travel) and Brick from a decade ago.
>>
>>44498183
Also the Galactic Republic is centered around Courascant just like it was in the prequel era, this planet and a few others nearby are the ones that we see destroyed in the movie
>>
File: 1451186339116.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1451186339116.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>44498218
That's not true, Coruscant is fine.
>>
>>44498218
Did anyone else feel kinda shocked to see fucking Courasesnt just fucking blown the fuck off like that?

So much happened on that planet.
>>
>>44498218
False, the capital of the New Republic rotates between member states and was in fact http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hosnian_Prime during the movie.

Basicly, everything between ep6 and ep7 has all the leading members take utterly retarded decisions to setup ep7
>>
>>44498255
To defend the movie, the republic is a democracy, and democracies are notorious for being retarded and short sighted. Like Churchill said, its the worst form of government - except for all the other forms of government
>>
>>44498276
That's a pretty stupid way to defend the movie. No government would utterly demilitarize and devolve it's military to local police security forces in the aftermath of a major war that is not even complete, where major factions are still out there fighting. This is the kind a DEFEATED faction thus, when terms are imposed on it by another faction.
Abrams writing is something noone should excuse. Especially since the old canon had Mothma devolving security to local sectors as a major plot point in the success of the New Republic, while also maintaining a republic fleet.
>>
File: 7Jq3k[1].jpg (352 KB, 1527x1600) Image search: [Google]
7Jq3k[1].jpg
352 KB, 1527x1600
>>44498276
>>
>>44498298
Sounds like that's exactly what they did, maintain a republic fleet.

Which got blown the fuck up
>>
>>44498249
>Did anyone else feel kinda shocked to see fucking Courasesnt just fucking blown the fuck off like that?

I know I was, until they name-dropped the actual planet that was blown up that you clearly didn't pay attention to.
>>
>>44498183
I love how the First Order is basically the North Korea version of the Galactic Empire, surprising everyone with it's sudden acquisition of nuclear weapons.
>>
>>44498081
If said person is being a retard no, it really isn't.

>THIS DIDNT HAPPEN
>But yes it actually did, they said it. Maybe you missed it?
>NO IT DIDNT FUCKING HAPPEN WRRRBLAGHAGHARHNGHAERG
>Yes, it did happen, quit being a retard, retard.
>DONT CALL ME A RETARD ITS OFF TOPIC
>then don't be a retard.
>>
>>44498217
>meme movie
You don't actually know what that means, do you.
>>
>>44498217
He has directed some of the best episodes of breaking bad, though
>>
>>44498621
I liked Looper myself.
>>
File: 1364941363359.jpg (445 KB, 800x642) Image search: [Google]
1364941363359.jpg
445 KB, 800x642
>>44483507
>A particularly large and effective one that built a superweapon without anyone knowing it, but on a galactic scale they're relatively small politically and ideologically
>built a PLANET SIZED super weapon without anyone knowing about it
Bravo JJ.
>>
>>44497875
The problem is OP didn't do that, and I've been here too long to assume good intentions.
Can I post a thread about a piece of dog shit stuck under my shoe, and say IT'S IMPLIED TO BE WORLDBUILDING INSPIRATION FOR PIECE OF DOG SHIT RPG SETTING when called out for literal shit posting?
Either literally every topic imaginable is traditional games, or only traditional games are traditional games. Black and white. Consistency. Justice.
>>
>>44497982

Well not to mention that planet was where the Senate of the New Republic was based as well.

So it was more like if Japan Nuked DC and for some reason the bulk of the fleet was there.
>>
>>44498817

To be fair, and I'll admit this is kind of a shit excuse, they didn't build the whole planet, they just built a fuck huge cannon on an existing one.
>>
>>44486178
>The real question you should be asking is why the hell is there still a Resistance when they freaking won?

The Resistance != The Rebellion/Rebel Alliance

When the second Death Star was destroyed and Vader and Palpatine killed, there were still thousands of Imperial starships that needed to be dealt with. Plus in the resulting power vacuum, high ranking officers would have carved out regions of space to rule. Recall that in A New Hope, Palpatine had dissolved the senate and Alderaan was destroyed so reestablishing the Republic would not be as simple as calling up all the senators and telling them to show up on Monday for work.

The Resistance is a resistance network in First Order space. It just so happens that they are being funded/supported by the new Republic.

>What kind of paramilitary organisation is Leia running that the Galactic Republic were just happy to have her standing around doing nothing?

Maybe her experience was more useful as an "adviser" to the Resistance than chairing a sub-committee.
>>
>>44486660
>Unless one of those actually was Couresant (the main hub of the republic of course) then I can kiiiiiind of see why.

According to Wookipedia (who got it from the novelization of The Force Awakens), the New Republic senate meets on different planets. One of the planets The New Order destroyed was the current host to the New Republic Senate.
>>
>>44498371

I thought it was coruscant as well. It would have been pretty ballsy if it were.
>>
>>44498033
>The First Order was defeated in the first movie, utterly defeated. Sure the leaders might still live but if they pull another fucking planet fortress from nowhere it would just compound the lazy writing.

Nobody ever said how large the First order was. Their mega weapon was destroyed and so were thousands of soldiers but Ren escaped and presumably so did the General and probably Phasma as well (dropped down a garbage chute but radioed for rescue).

The Nimitz and its carrier group got destroyed. Oh no, the US Navy has been defeated!
>>
>>44498073
>If you are correct, then it seems that the Galaxy is damned to neverending conflict until the next tyrannical force takes over

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.salon.com/2015/12/24/from_a_new_hope_to_no_hope_at_all_star_wars_tolkien_and_the_sinister_and_depressing_reality_of_expanded_universes/
>>
>>44500012
I'll just bet that you're still booty-blasted they rejected your janitor application for the nth time due to being a colossal faggot.

>MUH BLACK AND WHITE
>FUN IS NOT ALLOWED

The mods we have already do a decent job according to the rules set down. If I didn't know any better I'd say you were from /v/. You are literally that banner that reads "Noooooo! Stop enjoying things!"
>>
>>44481489

The hoops JJ had to jump through to make ep7 the exact same as ep4...
>>
Jesus it's even worse than the prequels in its own way. The prequels had needless overexposition while here we get no explanations whatsoever. If you don't read the background (battle of Jakku, Imperial-republican concordate) you're pretty much left wondering WTF was happening on screen. I think there should be a scene that explains the background of the FO beyond HURR SPACE NAZIS!!
Like a scene where Space Hitler and his lieutenants argue with the Moff Council (the actual leaders of the Imperial Remanant). The Moffs want to uphold peace with the Republic for at least another decade so that they can have the time to rebuild their strength and then take over the Galaxy. Hux angrily yells at them about how their passivity, infighting and rigidity was what ended the Empire after Endor. His position is that the First Order is ready now and that the war has been delayed to long already. The Moffs are outraged and think he's a foolish youngling. One of the Moffs scolds him because he's subservient to a what appears to him to be a mumbo-jumbo con artist and needs to share his office with an angsty teen. Hux then goes on an angry rant about how true Nietzschean Ãœbermensch don't need the Force or other such stupidities to succeed and how he hates Ren. He blames the Moffs to be such decreipt old farts that he had to ally with Force users.
Also the scene should make it clear that the Empire is nothing but stable with incessant squabbles between Moffs/Warlords and different factions.

What do you think /tg/?
>>
>>44484229
Background material reveals that as Senator/President/Whatever of the New Republic Leia strongly supported an open war against the New Order, but was ostracized as an old warhawk so she retired from politics and founded the Resistance on her own money.
>>
>>44486024
Sulust as a whole (Suuro Sub, the Aldeeran refugees and the Sulustan Syndical Unions) seemed pretty competent and was pro-republic by the end of the Galactic Civil War.
>>
>>44500654
That sounds pretty good until the end. It could be done with pretty quickly. I still like to think that the Imperial Remnants have some sense of unity among themselves, but IDK.
>>
>>44498067
Its a series, dumb ass. There will be further episodes where everything will be gradually explained. God. People born after 2000 sure have no patience.
>>
File: DDDD.jpg (77 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
DDDD.jpg
77 KB, 480x446
>>44489713
>let's bring back the worst decision of the original trilogy!
>>
>>44497598
>>44497612
Meh this is something that's been on the table since Alexander's death, might as well use it.
>>
>>44500654
>If you don't read the background (battle of Jakku, Imperial-republican concordate) you're pretty much left wondering WTF was happening on screen.

I've read none of that, but I never felt like I wasn't keeping up with what was going on. It's a remnant of the Empire, obviously a bit radicalised by the Empire going down the drain. There, done.

When it ain't broke, don't force in yet another ANH callout to fix it, even if you've modified it a bit.
>>
File: CLEAR_AS_DAY.png (44 KB, 480x620) Image search: [Google]
CLEAR_AS_DAY.png
44 KB, 480x620
>>44500471
>according to the rules set down
These rules?
Fun is allowed. Off topic is not.
>>
File: 1451516316703.png (165 KB, 355x642) Image search: [Google]
1451516316703.png
165 KB, 355x642
>>44500729
>>
>>44491284
I would suck JJ.abrams dick if it happened.
But I'm not taking a big risk here.
>>
>>44498248
So Rakata Prime is Canon?
>>
>>44500654
Is this the actual case in the books? Where can I read this?
>>
>>44500729
That is not an excuse for poor storytelling. There can be mysteries but if a movie can not stand on it's own exposition it's poorly written. This is fudged in the sequel because people excuse it more but it shouldn't, a well done squeal sequel should allow you to see that movie without seeing the first but give you more if you saw the previous movie.
>>
>>44483585
Honestly the Star Forge would be more interesting than the Death Star 2.0
>>
>>44502276
>Death Star 3.0

FTFY
>>
>>44500012
that's not the question, the question is "what would the difference be?" my point was HAD OP did that this discussion would have been EXACTALY the same barring that single scentance in the begining.

Star Wars is the lore of Edge of the Empire (and many others) so talking about Star Wars IS talking about the lore of Edge of the Empire because IT'S THE SAME LORE.
>>
>>44500307
It also would have been pretty retarded, given that the Empire controls the inner rim and core worlds of which Coruscant is one. It is still the center of the Empire and the capital.
>>
>>44500654
They actually had the opportunity to do that when Tarkin 2.0 was doing his big, screaming speech to the Stormtroopers, but instead they went with weird shit like "the New Republic lies to its citizens" rather than "this is why we are pissed at the New Republic and are going to blow them up". Missed worldbuilding opportunity right there.
>>
>>44502407
Death Star in ROJ was more like Death Star 1.2, now with better grate protection!
>>
>>44502538
I think my least favorite thing about Tarkin 2 is how when when Death Star 3 starts exploding, he runs to Snoke like a whiny bitch and begs him to tell him what to do. Would have been a nice time to see a competent commander taking charge of his men, but then he probably would've left Kylo behind.
>>
>>44500776

>board games
Star Wars: Rebellion
>paper games (I'm assuming that means pen and paper RPGs but could be wrong)
WEG Star Wars
>War Games
X-Wing
>Card Games
Star Wars TCG

Explain how one could talk about the setting of those /tg/ games without talking about the movies when the movies ARE the setting of those games.

Now if people were talking about casting, or box office earnings, or something like that you'd have a point, but that's not the case here.
>>
>>44502573
>now with better grate protection!

So much better than instead of it being big enough for a torpedo, it's now big enough to fit several ships!
>>
>>44502538
This movie was probably the shittiest Star Wars movie in the world building department
>>
>>44502622
Snoke takes the whole First Order thing really well. They only talk to him when something's gone wrong (so they're in constant communication) but he never seems angry, never punishes anyone, and even gives orders that try to save some of those that work for him. He seems uncharacteristically Good Boss for a Big Bad.
>>
>>44498298
the republic did just that in the background material after thinking the wiped out the sith leading to the republic becoming corrupt and complacent
>>
>>44502622
The point of both kylo and hux is that they're aren't super competent badasses. They're kids trying to fill the shoes they've inherited.

It's funny, people keep complaining about how much of a rip off TFA is of ANH but then they make suggestions that would just make it even more so.
>>
>>44502695
Only the most autistic of mouth breathers gives a shit about star wars world building.
>>
>>44505170
This. The whole point of Ren is that he's a half competent punk kid who's outclassed and barely tolerated by his coworkers. They're repeating history because he's a Vader fanboy and no one has any other ideas.

Rey isn't much better, the striking thing about their fight is that neither one is particularly good with a lightsaber.
>>
>>44483507
They probably did what the US has been doing; arming rebel groups to fight proxy wars because they don't wasn't to be the government who enters another war that soon.

Which would make the FO ISIS
>>
>>44481489
Or whoever wrote it is a hack. The empire made sense. First Order just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>44501420
This actually makes me so happy. With Kylo ripping off of Revan's outfit, and now Rakata prime being canon, I feel like all my work in Kotor 1 & 2 was actually worth it.

What if the Rakatans become part of the plot of 8&9?
>>
>>44505868
If KOTOR is canon, does that mean Tatooine is still the secret bombed-out homeworld of humanity?

>capcha: Select all images of bodies of water
Snarky little git.
>>
>>44505743
Indeed. It at least made sense why the Empire did a lot of things because they were the only real organization with any sort of power during the OT. Blowing up Alderaan? Who's going to stop us? Keeping the Death Star a secret? Much easier to do so when you are essentially the only "government" and can just declare it classified. When you have multiple factions jockeying for power, it becomes much harder to do that kind of shit without one of your neighbors taking advantage of you.
>>
One thing that I noticed in terms of plot complications in TFA is that the existence of weapons like Starkiller Base is going to make it almost impossible to maintain an interstellar civilization anywhere in the galaxy. At least with the Death Star it had to be in the system in order to blow up a planet. With the Starkiller Base you can essentially blow up a planet from the other side of the galaxy from the comfort of your space couch (look at the galaxy map).

What this basically means is it is nearly impossible to establish any form of political body, because the minute you piss someone off, they'll just go snipe the star of your capital system unless there is some resource of value on the planet. And the fact that Starkiller base was essentially built by a group with essentially no budget (literally described as akin to the Nazis in exile that fled to South America) and was not found out until the weapon was already fired, suggests that it is really easy to build these things if you have a readily available star and planet.
>>
>>44506146
if the kotor fluff is to be beleived tatooine was the human home world, but they emigrated after the rakatans stole all the water, and invaded coruscant.

honestly i prefer the kotor and EU pre republic stuff. it feels more mystical and interesting.
>>
>>44506451

Well, the Nazis had all that Nazi gold. And maybe the Empire had started to build the Starkiller Base before the Battle of Endor?
But yeah, the whole Base was just insanely stupid in every possible sense.
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 640x1136
>>44481489
Help me choose the personality and tactics for my campaign's BBEG. He's an Emperor's Hand. The players will fight two inquisitors before he shows up

Here's his lightsaber
>>
>>44489741
It's very much sci-fi, specifically pulp science fiction.
>>
>>44501345
Screencapped just in case.
>>
File: LaJ9Kmo.gif (998 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
LaJ9Kmo.gif
998 KB, 500x250
>>
>>44506973
So what is it in Star Wars, wookie gold?
>>
>>44497659
They don't exists anymore.
>>
>>44511132
They never existed.

They are in the same state of existence they always were in.

Fiction.
>>
>>44498217
Looper was great, kid.
>>
>>44506451
Not only that, the ensuing arms race from here on out should therefore consist entirely of star systems pooling all their resources into building as many Death Stars as possible, while simply foregoing fleets altogether since their effectiveness as a deterrent has been categorically disproven.

What's the point of still having battleships when everyone has supercarriers? Actually scratch that, this is more like everyone having a thermonuclear arsenal.
>>
>>44506451
Starkiller base was built into a planet with a Ilum/Lothal sized Cache of Kyber Crystals.

Assuming it WASN'T built into Illum itself there are only two known planets with the resources to be turned into new Starkiller bases.

But yeah the new canon really fucked itself with the Starkiller tech.
>>
How is the MC-18 so much more expensive than the Deepwater class when it's generally a smaller weaker brother?

I guess maybe the Deepwater wouldn't have the custom slot? Which almost doesn't seem right.
>>
>>44498146
>Kylo Ren will be redeemed
>Rey will go darkside
>>
>>44515877
I'm already on board with whatever they do with kylo because he's an awkward goof. And having the [strong female protagonist] go dark side would probably be just enough to get me interested in them.

I don't think they'll do that, though.
>>
From what we saw in the movie I figured Starkiller base was just some sort of prototype Death Star. I mean it was cannibalizing it's own sun for power, how many shots did they think they could make with that?
>>
>>44516071
hyperdrive
>>
>>44516071
It's plasma beam was apparently capable of ftl travel since they sniped the Republic from the edge of the galaxy, there's no real reason it couldn't absorb energy from faraway stars
>>
>>44505743
>writer of Raiders of the Lost Ark
First Order is the largest faction and builds a base in their territory. Since they use eugenics and brainwashing the only reason the base is found is Finn.

It's New Hope but more plausible.
>>
>>44517271
>It's New Hope but more plausible.
ignoring the hyperdrive equipped laser beam, I guess
>>
>>44517346
That might be the dumbest quibble to have with Starkiller, mostly because as a "technology is magic" super weapon it has everything it needs covered compared to anything else in a universe with force users and any hyperspace travel at all.
>>
Why do so many people want novels of exposition in the new movies? Name one fully fleshed out aspect of world building in the original trilogy, because there was none. The entire influence behind Star Wars is character driven adventures, and since the main cast knows nothing about the conflict they were dragged into there is little reason the audience should know.

Fury Road being the prime example of this, and if someone is going to come in and start talking shit about that movie then there was never any hope.
>>
>>44490511
Or /b/ if you really wanna deal with teenagers.
>>
>>44481489
>Is it safe to assume that by the time of Episode 7, the New Republic had already been declining for some time, with the First Order riding a general wave of discontent and uncertainty?
I think that it is safe to say a few things.
1. The Empire fell into disarray and multiple different factions; the First Order being the victorious
2. The Battle of Jakku meant a peace treaty with the imperial remnants.
3. The New Republic was just as corrupt as you'd expect from a Galactic ISIS (pirates, mercs, thieves, smugglers, conmen..).

>Seems like the Order was already on its way to being the most dominant political force in the galaxy
They just lost their biggest asset - aside from force. We have only seen one Star Destroyer, and they did think of the Republic Fleet as a major threat. Resistance lost half their fleet - if it was all they had, anyways.

I'd say that there are no major forces in the galaxy at the moment, but FO has the largest standing army. It means that they could use the next decade or so to just eat up a system after system to bloat themselves, but it really depends on how centralized the New Republic was.

Hopefully we see new factions arise. Say, Hutts or somebody taking the CIS factories to proper use again. As a contesting force in EU, at least.

----

EU = New Republic
Russia = FO
Resistance = AZOV
This way it becomes clear that New Republic failed.
>>
>>44517557
>EU = New Republic
Russia = FO
Resistance = AZOV
Media and narrative is the same in both Universes. Odd..
>>
>>44489713
GET OFF THIS BOARD GEORGE
>>
>>44517432
Just saying, the death star is much more plausible. In scale and also in effect.

Building an enormous space station with a powerful laser is one thing, hollowing out a planet so it can shoot star lasers instantly across large areas of the entire galaxy is another.
>>
What if the planet Starkiller base was made in was already hollow and it was then filled with a gigantic jury-rigged laser cannon using 30 years of slave labor?
>>
Quick question for a scenario I'm writing. Did the Empire ever employ droids in battle? All we see in the movies are stormtroopers (and those droid probes on Hoth) but maybe there's something in the EU.
>>
>>44490496
there is considerable difference between destroying one planet, and destroying many planets from great range
much much more than the difference between a calculator and pc
>>
>>44491284
That would be amazing and precisely why it will never happen.
>>
>>44497930
>They LITERALLY said that the Republic fleet is destroyed.

You do understand anon that every navy of sufficient size has NUMEROUS FLEETS right?
>>
>>44518071
USA alone has 11 Aircraft carriers and that requires a significant support force.
>>
>>44483891
> Seriously, why not just send a Republic fleet and call it what it is?

Because the Republic is mostly demilitarized. You can thank Mon Mothma for that. That's not conjecture, that's actually what she did in the post-RotJ books we have because she was worried about a central government having too much power. What little fleet the Republic had died to Starkiller base.
>>
>>44518379

Sure but the EU is no longer canon.
>>
>>44497076
The Republic had dismantled most of its fleet in favor of each planetary system having its own fleet. It's hardly far-fetched that the bulk of what remained was kept in orbit around whatever systems contained the Senate at the time to protect them from any Remnant attacks.
>>
>>44517432
This. It's just as fucking plausible as any other fucking laser beam that can destroy a planet: i.e. not at all. So you either bitch about the two Death Stars being implausible too, or you shut the fuck up and accept this is science fantasy and technology does what it does in order to drive the plot.
>>
>>44518418
That's in the new canon, anon.
>>
>>44518449
Yup. Aftermath, to be specific. The Republic is NOT the USA. It's more akin to the UN at this point.
>>
>>44518449

From the novel I take it?
>>
>>44518488
See >>44518485
>>
>>44518520

Where can a list of the new canon be found?
>>
>>44519209
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/timeline_of_canon_media
>>
>>44489713
Only as the Lieutenant Kettch, attached to suit of Poe Dameron, flying a hijacked TIE Fighter.
Yub yub, Commander.
>>
>>44500471

Honestly considering the number of threads on /v/ which are basically about posting pictures of female (and sometimes male) characters with the only connection being that they're from video games (Neptunia threads are a good example), there are probably a decent number of people who don't give a shit. I'm one of them.

The threads I've seen backlash from some people towards were/are console war threads, gamergate threads, threads for a certain game that overflow the board, and years back when there was inane shit like tipping threads.
>>
>>44514097
Exactly. Though in this case it would be the equivalent of if every two-bit military junta or terrorist group could build a state-of-the-art nuke in their basement.

It also raises the uncomfortable question of what is the galaxy going to do when it runs out of stars and or habitable planets from the mass ecocide from shooting at each other. Though that problem was present with the Death Star too.

>>44514466
Sauce? Wookiepedia gives nothing.
>>
>>44517472
The opening scrawl between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back perfectly establishes all you need to know going in.

>So, yeah, the rebels blew up the Death Star
>Except Darth Vader's back, and he's hella pissed
>So the rebels are trying to stay low by hiding out on this ice ball called Hoth.

A New Hope did a pretty good job at establishing the setting as well. But its hard to see how we went from everyone partying at Endor following the destruction of the second Death Star to the situation in The Force Awakens.
>>
>>44519873
>It also raises the uncomfortable question of what is the galaxy going to do when it runs out of stars and or habitable planets from the mass ecocide from shooting at each other. Though that problem was present with the Death Star too.

It's pretty much M.A.D, those super weapons will probably work like nukes, as in most reasonable factions will only use them as deterrent
>>
>>44520154
Problem is neither the Empire nor First Order were very reasonable.
>>
File: 1448989740141.jpg (24 KB, 496x499) Image search: [Google]
1448989740141.jpg
24 KB, 496x499
>>44481489
Star wars isn't /tg/
>>
>>44519946
Why? Nobody with any sense expected the Empire to just evaporate completely because the Emperor died.
>>
>>44483170

It was just a base built into a planet, right? The whole planet wasn't a station.
>>
File: I see no difference.png (3 MB, 1280x1578) Image search: [Google]
I see no difference.png
3 MB, 1280x1578
>>44503023
Snoke is curious with that. He actually doesn't seem that much of a Sith. Hell, even Kylo Ben is not as Bad Boss as Vader were, as even when utterly pissed he prefers to vent off his rage on surrounding rather than Force Choke his subordinates.
Though he likely plays with his dolls, imitating Vader's voice when he accepted Captain Needa's apology. Pic VERY related.
>>
>>44520912
>He actually doesn't seem that much of a Sith.

He's probably not a Sith.
>>
>>44521305
And he disregard Rule of Two. Although I do hope that the rest of the Knights of Ren are simply less powerful in the Force than Kylo Ren, as if he is setting the standard of their strength as their commander, then they are going to be disappointing.
Unless it's a position he have ensured, but overall his training is not over.
>>
>>44517737
Woah, woah, woah.

You think one of the all time physics-breaking-est super weapons in any movie is more plausible than Starkiller base? At least the Starkiller base has an appropriate scale, an energy source, a weak point that required both an air strike and targeted bombing to damage, and even only blew up because it had a literal star in the center. The death star (and worse, the partially built Death Star) were never anything but the most heinous space magic.

Star Wars should always be over-the-top villain plans and rag-tag good guys cracking wise as they casually commit genocides.
>>
>>44491284
The question is: how did she get out of the trash compactor and off planet before it blew?
>>
>>44497393
He's short-sighted, so I suppose so. He gets the idea that Rey has seen the map and he can't just suck it out of her brain like he did with Poe, so he's like "fuck dealing with the droid, let's roll."

If Rey weren't The Chosen One, it probably would've worked, honestly.
>>
>>44521462

Perhaps her helmet had a communications device of some sort in it.
>>
>>44497727
Nah, he's actually the White Orc from the Hobbit movies, who got lost through a dimensional portal.
>>
>>44498024
>Its beyond me why we didnt get to watch the Sith/Imperials devour each other. What a great chance to explore the ideology and motivations behind the Sith and those who follow them.
I would've really liked a more nuanced Sith. I mean, Kylo and Snoke don't really refer to themselves as Sith, but it's clear they're meant to be. And basically what they are are puppy-kicking evil.

I get that the movies are marketed towards kids, but I feel like the OT Dark Siders were at least a little more fleshed out than the FO was.
>>
>>44502624
You can theoretically, in the infinite realm of possibility, make a traditional game about anything. See here. >>44500012
There are several licensed Marvel tabletop games too, but discussion of Marvel comics from a purely comics perspective belongs in /co/ because the games are ADAPTATIONS, not the main product.
All you have to do is explicitly write "how do I use this lore in a game" to frame it in the correct context.
If I start a thread about Spongebob the TV show on a cooking board and never mention cooking once, it's off topic, even if somewhere in the world there exists a cake shaped like Spongebob.
>>
>>44515877
>>Kylo Ren will be redeemed
I don't think they'd be able to pull that off after Han, unless it was a self-sacrifice situation.

Do you think Kylo knows about Vader's own self-sacrifice moment, given how much of a fanboy he is?
>>
>>44521525
That would imply Stormtroopers are competent, and we can't have that in a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>44521693
>Do you think Kylo knows about Vader's own self-sacrifice moment, given how much of a fanboy he is?

He was Luke's nephew so almost certainly.
>>
>>44494695
>start a fantasy setting discussion thread on /tg/
>get banned for being "off topic"
>>
>>44491284
It's about as likely as her being a redhead.
>>
>>44521920
>too stupid or lazy to write "in a game" or "stat me" in your off topic thread
>>
>>44522043
>cant figure out that a thread is /tg/ related unless explictly spoonfed

Reminds me of the mods who will ban you for posting an anime screenshot on /a/ because "i couldn't figure out this was a thread about the anime in the screenshot! it's not my fault! he didn't tell me!".
>>
>>>/tv/
>>44518073
>>
>>44522090
>post a thread about a literal piece of dog shit stuck under my shoe
>other anons think it's off topic
>IT'S IMPLIED TO BE WORLDBUILDING INSPIRATION FOR PIECE OF DOG SHIT RPG SETTING YOU AUTIST FEDORA KEK TUMBLR THE NEXT MLP MEME ANIME CANCER!!!
>>
>>44522185
>complaining about the piece of dogshit setting
But there are a lot of fans of 40k on this board, anon
>>
>>44522239
>40k
You misspelled "Exalted'', anon.
>>
>>44522185
The fact that you're trying this hard screams "troll."
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.