[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Halo Universe could destroy 40k with one simple thing(s)...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 16
File: halo-ring.jpg (34 KB, 525x325) Image search: [Google]
halo-ring.jpg
34 KB, 525x325
The Halo Universe could destroy 40k with one simple thing(s)...
>>
>>44471600
Lack of poking fun at its own pulp stupidity? Although I suppose 40Ks been steadily dying for years from that.
>>
>>44471600
>one simple thing(s)...
What's that?
>>
>>44471907
It's a black ring, signifying a metaphorical withered or burnt wedding band, or in other words, broken marriage and potentially alimony.
>>
>>44471600
>ring installations activate, destroying all intelligent life
>humans wiped out save for those in the warp at the time of activation
>orks wiped out, regrow within the week to find do that the squigs have taken over
>Eldar craftworlds unaffected thanks to psi-shielding, corsairs and exodites wiped out
>dark Eldar unaffected
>tau wiped out
>tyranids 99.9% unaffected, but since that 0.1% the higher-tier synapse creatures their loss is a doozy
>necrons don't immediately even notice
>who the fuck knows how chaos is going to react
>Necrons finally notice, poke a couple of glowing specks on a display, and the stars nearest each ring go supernova
>>
>>44472179
So more or less the War in Heaven gets kicked up again, but this time with Tyranids, Slaanesh, and a split Eldar.
>>
>>44472179
>regrow within the week to find do that the squigs have taken over
>regrow

literally how

They were all simultaneously exterminated
>>
File: 1444071540719.png (654 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1444071540719.png
654 KB, 680x510
>>44472021
>>
>>44472904
The spores they grow from don't have complex nervous systems which is what the Halos target. So they survive the same way the flood do.
>>
>>44472965
Yeah even in-story they acknowledge that the Forerunners fucked up pretty bad with the Halo rings because they didn't do the one thing they were supposed to
>>
>>44472179
wouldn't the tyrannids still be wiped out or did they change the rings targeting organisms with complex nervous systems to something else
>>44472904
so long as there's ork spores they will regrow and the squigs wouldn't take over they would do squig thigns until the gretchin showed up
>>
>>44472965
the flood only exists because the forerunners kept samples in stasis to study once they came out of slipspace dyson spheres.
>>44473764
the purpose of the rings wasn't to kill the flood, it was to kill the food that the flood was feeding, o, which it did exactly as it was planned to.
>>
>>44473926
Well apparently it didn't work well enough
>>
>>44472904
There would be plenty of orks in the warp in Roks and space hulks, they'll eventually come out of Warp.
>>
>>44473990
no no no, it did work. all sentient life in the 25,000 lightyear radius of each ring was killed off, iwth the only sentient living things left in forerunner installations.

>>44472179
i would argue that even Eldar in craftowrld would be affected, since the only way of avoiding it is to not be in real space at the time of activation.

the nids would also be affected as well

Sentient =/= sapient.
>>
>>44473926
It was to kill the food source and the more advanced flood forms like the Graveminds. They couldn't make a weapon to completely kill all flood down to their most basic form with out completely wiping out ALL life in the galaxy.
>>
>>44474099
can cratfworlds enter the warp?
>>
>>44473990
It worked, but they kept a few samples on the installations for the monitors to study, and then the covenant came along and fucked things up as always
>>
>>44474171
why would they leave them alive and risk them escaping after the measures they took to defeat them the first time
>>
>>44474117
and without the food to sustain the flood (for whatever reason that they need to constantly have an influx of biomass), they died off over the 100,000 years after the war. the only surviving flood there were are located in forerunner instalations

>>44474125
don't know, but unless their in the Webway or the Warp, their getting hit by the ring pulse
>>
>>44473876
An individual combat-breed tyranid has a nerve system about as sophisticated as an insect's. Their "brain" is basically just a receiver for psychic commands from synapse creatures and the Hive Mind. I'm not familiar with Halo lore, but even if Halo pulses deep-fry anything insect or higher in terms of nerve-sophistication, the most primitive units of the Tyranid race are like plants and fungi: and their primary purpose is to assemble other Tyranids. I don't think that the Halo arrays would annihilate the Tyranids: only wound them.
>>
>>44474193
because SCIENCE

here you have a thing that nearly destroyed your civilization, something that your galactic rivals found a way to defeat, but you couldn't beat them, and Daddy left them the keys to the galaxy instead of you

are you really going to let some 'backwards' apes show you up?
>>
File: 40kspacebattle.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1080) Image search: [Google]
40kspacebattle.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1080
>"Captain, we've found a large piece of Xeno technology."
>"Put it on screen."
>big screen shows Halo on it
>"Should I contact the Mechanicus about it?"
>"No, just blast it to oblivian."
>"Ah eh, sir."
>halo is destroyed by space hulk payload
Done
>>
>>44474198
>and without the food to sustain the flood (for whatever reason that they need to constantly have an influx of biomass), they died off over the 100,000 years after the war. the only surviving flood there were are located in forerunner instalations
And back to the point, the reason the orcs would survive is because like the flood their most basic spore form would not be killed off by the Halos, but unlike the flood they would be able to recover on their own.
>>
>>44474260
yes if its something as dangerous as the flood
>>
File: 1433645300936.gif (3 MB, 357x324) Image search: [Google]
1433645300936.gif
3 MB, 357x324
>>44474261
>>
>>44474125
It doesn't matter if the Craftworld can get into the Warp/webway or not. It doesn't have an organic central nervous system.

What matters is if the Farseers can get enough warning before the ring activation to get the craftworlds population into the webway in time. If so, they can just turn around and come back out right after the ring effect passes.
>>
>>44474323
You're right. Totally right. But the forerunner military leader was full of hubris and jelly as fuck.

Also they wanted to find some way of combating the flood or a similar thing just in case.....Well.....like I said, covenant poked their noses even after being told by their "Oracle" to not do that shit
>>
>>44474405
he was the diadect right or was he some kind of engineer construction guy?
>>
>>44474262
yeah i completely agree with you. it would take a few thousand years before they reach levels that they were at before, but they would eventually be back, probably using a shit ton of looted imperial stuff.

im not saying the orks as a species would be wiped out, just all the organisms above a certain tier.

>>44474384
i doubt they have enough time to get all their population off the craftworlds. they would certainly get alot of them off, but they wouldn't get completely away
>>
>>44474261

And that activates the ark (which is a decent way away on the edge of the galaxy) which prepares the remaining halos to be fired at once from it
>>
okay real talk, I'm not trying to start a shitpost war but who would win
The flood or Tyranids?
the flood can operate on microscopic levels and can gain the intelligence of their absorbed species, but I assume Tyranids can make some new Gaunts that are flood immune or something. That and the tyranids have psychic individuals
>>
>>44474437
That all depends on how good the Farseers are at seeing the future.
>>
>>44474458
tyrannids they can adapt quicker and that logic bomb thing the grave mind does wouldn't affect the tyrannids
>>
>>44474434
Yeah, I think he was the Builder, and his waifu the Librarian. But he also pretty much commanded the military side of things. Things get hazy. 343i is weird.

>>44474458
I would say nids. There are just so much more of them. Numbers alone
>>
>>44474458
How powerful are flood starships ?

Because any fight between them will likely be won in space, with who ever controls space keeping the other faction on the ground and picking them off a planet at a time with overwhelming numbers.
>>
>>44474556
Flood don't really build things. They infect and take them over. So how powerful 'their' starships are depends on whom they steal them from.
>>
>>44474478
true
>>44474458
tyranid would be curious about the flood, before deciding to mess around with them like the Forerunners did before experiencing an outbreak as the flood learn how to subsume control on a biological level. once the flood amass enough biomass to get a Gravemind, (who will have psychic powers due to absorbing Tyranid synapse creatures) is when things get murky

it would evolve into who can corrupt who fastest, but the Flood would start experimenting on the other species of the Galaxy and start taking over their ships, and adding them to their fleets.

the Tyranids stay purely biological in war, but the Flood are gonna incorporate ships that they take form the other species.

>>44474521
The Ur-Didact was a different caste than Faber, who was part of the Builders. hi Wife was part of the lifeshaper caste and stood opposed to Faber and his ring building
>>
>>44474556
Flood don't have starship. They infect the crew of starships and then add biomass
>>
>>44474521
>>44474521
yea the plot went all over the place when halo 4 came around and the lore around the forerunners and the flood was expanded
>>
OP your post reminded me of those shitty internet ads.
>Halo can cure your Tyranid infection with this one easy trick that the Prophets AND Inquisition don't want you to know about. Click to find out! Also: you won't believe what these grunts did with an ordinary food nipple.
>>
>>44471600
That's not really a simple thing.
>>
>>44474458
Depends.

Flood in the height of their power VS Tyranids?

Or a small flood infection on one planet VS Small tyranid force on another planet in the same solar system?
>>
>>44474458
Neither. Theyd corrupt the shit out of each other to a point unrecognizable.
And no matter that, WE still lose.
>>
>>44474602
Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. Used to be all into the halo lore, but I think the last book I read was glasslands. As far as halo 4, kind of dozed off at some parts
>>
File: 1365635036847.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1365635036847.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>44474261
The idea is that the ring would be activated before the imperium even found out about it.
>>
>>44472179
Why would necrons blow up the rings though? They pretty much did most of their jobs for them, plus they can be modified to fuck up the rest of the galaxy.
>>
>>44474384
OP here

no warning. Nobody in 40k would know of their existence or purpose, a complete surprise. Like a US drone hitting Taliban.

This is just a big "Fuck you, W40K universe" thread

Also it's interesting to see how the universe would be affected see>>44472179
>>
>>44471600
Halo rings only destroy intelligent life, anon. Their effect on 40k would be greatly diminished.
>>
>>44474261
>oblivian
>Ah eh
I don't even
>>
>>44472179
The Rings don't just kill intelligent life. Their effect destroys all life forms of significant biomass.

Only microorganisms are walking away, and non-organics.
>>
>>44477839
So how long ago were the rings fired?
>>
>>44478195
100,000 years before the events of Halo
>>
>>44478195
I think 100,000 years. Rapid evolution was carried out by Forerunner AI forcing the remaining "samples" to grow quickly afterward.
>>
>>44478276
>>44478244
When were the stored humans and aliens introduced to the planets reduced to microbial life?

Because we have records of human settlement dating quite far back and I doubt even accelerated evolution turns a primordial soup into a prehistoric world in an instant.
>>
>>44478339
>Because we have records of human settlement dating quite far back and I doubt even accelerated evolution turns a primordial soup into a prehistoric world in an instant

Forerunners man. Forerunners.
>>
File: Slartibartfast.jpg (47 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Slartibartfast.jpg
47 KB, 600x450
>>44478375
Did that include introducing fake skeletons and screwing with the carbon dating to make it look like humans were indigenous to Earth?
>>
>>44478435
Those remains were probably the humans who lived on earth previously. Before the Rings fired. And apparently did not make the last shuttle offworld.
>>
>>44478435
earth was still the homeworld before they took the stars in the ancient human empire. they didn't have to fabricate anything on earth other than erasing the last 6 to 10 thousand years of history on the earth
>>
>>44476837
Because they can.
>>
>>44478469
So they just dug up all evidence of old human tech and all the evidence of a massive extinction level event that reduced the planet to primordial soup 100,000 years ago?

Or 343 Industries is just full of shit and haven't thought anything through?
>>
>>44478503
It's funny that the Forerunners decided to save everyone else, including their enemies, but not themselves. Obviously they had the tech. But no, lets be all Tolkien elves and go quietly into the night, because the age of man is upon us.
>>
>>44478529
>343
Go fuck yourself. All this shit was Bungie's lore before 343 made it all suck.

Also, all the old human tech is still there, just buried in the sand, until a few centuries from now when the unified Earth government will dig it up and use it to fight rebels and then Covenant.
>>
>>44478589
>All this shit was Bungie's lore before 343 made it all suck.

Source? Because I've heard Bungie's version to be quite different from what 343 ended up going with. Besides, whether or not it was, Bungie didn't exactly make it take center stage. Maybe even they knew how wack that shit was.

>all the old human tech is still there

Yet prior to current events, not a single piece of trash or tech was discovered, yet we have fossils dating back hundreds of millions of years.
>>
>>44478576
they were planning on saving themselves. they built fuck huge Micro Dyson spheres to hide in, even had a more massive version of the Ark to hold a major portion of the population, but it was attacked by the Flood. it was the final battle of the war, everything was going to shit, so the Didact said 'fuck it' and pushed the button when the minimal amount of life workers needed to re-seed the galaxy were safe and killed everything.
>>
>>44478697
>Yet prior to current events, not a single piece of trash or tech was discovered, yet we have fossils dating back hundreds of millions of years
Please tell me you don't think the events of Halo are real history. No shit we haven't found any of it yet!
>>
You know, pretty shitty plan on the foreruneers part. "They can't kill us if we kill ourselves first!" I mean, I get burnt ground.....but c'mon
>>
>>44476856
The thing about prescience is things that would have no warning, have warning. Farseers, and anyone psychically gifted enough, would be warned.

Far seers can see pretty far.
>>
>>44474099
>, since the only way of avoiding it is to not be in real space at the time of activation.
In the Halo universe. Why wouldn't psychic shielding work, since it uses non-realspace energies?
>>
>>44478785
Forerunners.
>>
>>44478728
Anon, even a fictional setting can have its own history, you know. Single Forerunner structure in a remote location buried deep can go undiscovered. Wiping all life from a planet does not make the structures and everyday items of a space faring civilization just disappear even in 100,000 years.
>>
>>44474458
Near the end of the Forerunner-Flood war the flood evolved Keyminds which are basically Graveminds the size of a planet. One of these fuckers could out think and out perform the best AI's the Forerunners had and there were dozens if not hundreds of them. The Keyminds gained access to Precursor tech like the star roads which basically let them bend physics over their knee and spank it like a disobedient child until it did what they told it too. If their facing the Flood at the height of its power I'd say the Tyranids are pretty fucked.
>>
>>44478807
Old Ones have bigger dicks than Forerunners, and they made the Eldar, so the Eldar win GG no re.
>>
>>44478785
because Psychic shielding requires you to be advanced enough synapticly to influence the warp, and if you are advanced enough to develop psychic abilities you can damn be sure that the weapon that relies on killing advanced organics is going to go though the shield held up by brain power
>>
>>44471600
The Flood and 'Nids merge and break out of the setting, invading other ones and consuming everything.

Pretty soon we have to deal with a Phyrexian-Eldrazi-Sliver-Flood-Nid-Xenomorph-Borg-Hollow-Sith-Spiral Nemesis-Reaper-D.Reaper-Metroid hybrid that has all of the Infinity Stones, the entire Tri-Force, has absorbed every Pokemon, has all of the God cards, has all the powers of the Sage of Six Paths, and can create Kyrptonite on the fly.

It is roughly 600 AU in radius and has an average mass of about 1.865e+60kg.

However, it does not posses the powers of love, friendship, courage, and hope, so it can be beaten.
>>
>>44478815
Halo 3 had it covered. They did leave shit behind. They terraformed earth so theres around a mile or so of earth between any real tech. ONI found some and even made a protocol for it that meant killing everybody and anybody that MIGHT have seen someone who might have seen someone who might know about it then cover it all up and keep the tech. That giant tack ship thing was always buried in africa just waiting for shit to dig it up. It just so happens the covenant were the first to do so.
>>
>>44478835
Nah m8. Precursors.
>>
>>44473926
>>44474117
>>44474198
Do any of you motherfuckers even Halo Legends? The halo rings kill off the flood AND their food source.

>>44472179
Realistically, I'd say humans are gone, orks are gone, eldar are gone, tau are gone, nids are gone, any demons etc that were outside of the warp are gone.

Anything that was currently in the warp at the time is safe, necrons are probably safe? I don't know enough fluff about them. Are their bodies entirely robotic or do they still have a brain and/or other gooey bits inside? If they're entirely robotic, then they go unharmed, being effectively AI, which were unaffected (as shown by the monitors throughout the series)
>>
>>44478857
Where is the fucking +1 button?
>>
>>44471600
In all honesty, when in each? Current Halo stands no chance against 40k whereas Ancient Halo is beyond War in the Heavens level.
>>
>>44474125
I bet Slaanesh would love if that happened.
>>
>>44472179
>Destroying intelligent life
>40k
So it's totally useless?
>>
>>44479007
Current halo's getting pretty stronk:
Warning: Spoilers used for their actual, intended purpose
Each "guardian" is said to be able to effectively police an unruly solar system. Cortana unearthed DOZENS of these. And for something to be unruly enough for the forerunners to give a shit means it's gotta be pretty damn serious. Plus the entire notion of immortal AI is pretty scary. Then again, if the whole "fountain of youth for AIs" thing works on the necrons...
>>
>>44474458
When? What resources? In terms of potential, the Flood have the advantage. Let's say that the Tyranids successfully conquer a Craftworld. That's plenty of Eldar DNA but not technology. The Flood however can infect technology somewhat. Assuming that the Flood take over a Craftworld, there may be Flood in the Webway. The Ancient Halo Flood would stomp the Nids. Current Halo Flood would be stomped by the Nids.
>>
>>44479057
Still, that's nothing compared to Ancient Halo. I wonder how the Emperor would feel about Ancient Humanity in Halo.
>>
>>44478928
On Reddit, I think.
>>
>>44478857
One punch man then proceeds to fuck them all up.
>>
>>44478903
Necrons are souls bonded to godmetal.

No meat or brains.
>>
>>44479058
I don't think flood really infect tech, though they're smart enough to use it, at least when they have a gravemind set up.

There's no real difference between current flood and ancient flood, other than size, which we don't know how big the flood were when they chased the humans to the forerunners, other than "probably fuckhuge", and then at their peak before the halo rings were activated, they were approximately 25% of the mass in the galaxy. And while yeah, more flood means more intelligence for the gravemind, there's still a cap. They either couldn't or didn't feel like reproducing forerunner tech, and the flood infectors were still just balloons with needles attached, there were just a lot more of them. And the more combat forms are always "whatever they can get their hands on"

So the question is not "when and what resources", it's "with how much biomass?", which we should assume equal for both parties, in which case I'd give the advantage to the flood, due to the fact that by the time the nids evolve some kind of immunity to direct takeovers, the flood would've already assimilated enough of them to win by sheer numbers.
>>
Yes, nothing can stop the ricocheting unstoppable sniper l33t skillz 420 multi-kills
>>
>>44479120
>thatsthejoke.
>>
>>44479057
>called "Guardians"
>whole shit about Locke and MC ducking it out
>you don't get to fight a single Guardian
>Locke and MC have a little brawl, then are buddies
>cliffhanger ending
>another character that should have died ages ago keeps on living
>>
>>44479146
See, Halo's like, two or three notches up from 40k on the scale of science fiction hardness. I want to say that Halo's psykers (didact, etc) are really just using hyper-advanced tech to do things that look like psychic powers. The religious group in halo are shown to be following a great lie, and there's not much in halo supporting the concept of a soul. One could say that the halo rings actually destroy anything with a soul, and that the whole intelligent life bit was just how they understood it. In that case the necrons would die, their godmetal bodies left behind.
>>
File: High_Charity_Infested.jpg (158 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
High_Charity_Infested.jpg
158 KB, 1920x1080
>>44479172
>infect technology
I remember High Charity being infected. Cortana's the single most annoying Halo 3 level IMO.
>Difference is size
But that matters a lot here. The older Flood had plenty of Keyminds & Precursor technology.
>same resources
I'm unsure what resources. I.e. Which race's DNA.
>>
>>44476856
cute that you've established you know next to nothing of 40k lore then I suppose?

Considering most demons in setting are literally born of each and every thought or emotion ever had by anything, there would be a family fucking tree leading up to the existence or sudden appearance of the halos. These beings live in the warp along with the dark eldar, most chaos forces, the necrons who fuck the place up with their mere presence, and every human craft in transit (which is not actually a definable number given the sheer vastness of the Imperium.) I'll be nice and say you have enough rings to nuke all of the materium, but as >>44472179
pointed out, that would be maybe a third of the existing setting.
>>
>>44479251
That would imply halo rings are capable of destroying souls, which is even sillier than how necrons work.
>>
>>44479203
>Called "halo"
>you don't get to fight a single halo

>>44479271
>cortana's interruptions
I don't think they ever explained what those were. They were indeed annoying though

The default resources for both the flood and the nids is "the biomass of the enemy and their territory". We start them off with the same amount of biomass and place them on opposite ends of a neutral planet. If we're cutting off the nids from their hivemind then the flood don't get a gravemind, otherwise they do. We're trying to give them as equal a start as possible here, or so I'm assuming
>>
>>44479251
>the necrons would die

You're wanking too hard m8.

Literally the only thing they cannot do.
>>
>>44479338
>cortana moments
Yeah, I didn't like gameplay being interrupted.

Overall I see them as Cortana's communicating with Chief. In Cortana(level) especially you can definitely see the rampancy start. She starts questioning what she's doing and more. Gravemind l think is similar.

It's a strange feeling when /tg/ has better discussions on this topic than shit like /v/.
>>
>>44479407
I got the feeling the Cortana moments were the Gravemind torturing her and broadcasting choice moments to MC to throw him off his game.
>>
>>44479485
Possibly. We see plenty of both Cortana and Gravemind moments on Cortana's level.
>>
>>44479338
>you don't get to fight a single halo

What game did you play, because that's exactly what you do in Halo 1. You fight the Halo, its defences, and in the end destroy it. In Guardians you just run around looking for the Guardians and finding them just as the teleport away. Nothing related to them is ever resolved.
>>
>>44479607
You fight the Flood on it, the Covenant aliens who worship them & were aided by 343 Guilty Spark.
>>
>>44479635
Then you fight 343 and the Halo defences when you don't go through with the plan. And blow up Pillar of Autumn to destroy Halo.
>>
File: NEC.jpg (71 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
NEC.jpg
71 KB, 480x360
>>44471600
Could it? Could it really?
>>
>Ancient Halo could shit on War in Heaven 40k
>Ancient Halo could shit on the worst a setting where everything is an overpowered, model pushing God Sue
>A thread full of contrarian Grognards does not object
OK. Someone has to educate me on Ancient Halo, what kind of shit can they pull?
>>
>>44479774
Imagine a universe filled with people who's individual personal power exceeds that of the Abrahamic God.

They make the Hindu deities look like a joke.
>>
>>44472021
If only I could post a slow clap.
>>
>>44471600
now i dont have much knowledge of halo but dont those things operate in groups.
>>
>>44479774
We talking flood or precursors or preprecursors. Cause plain precursors are arouns 4.7 on the kardeshev scale. Theres hints they just up and made their own Nth dimension universe and gave humanity not te keys to the galaxy but the universe. Their lesser offspring forerunners can make galaxy whiping machines and can force forward or backward evolution in any creature in seconds, make structures out of pure mental power, harden and give light weight, and teleport wholly. Humanity was stated as having the same tech level or better. The only reason ancient humanity got fucked was the war against the flood then simultaneously against the forerunners.
>>
>>44479251
That's fucking dumb and so are you.
>>
>>44479788
So what's MC's power level seeing that he punched one of those übergods dead?
>>
Aren't humans in Halo basically descendants of precursors? And the Covenant knows this and doesn't wanna admit they fucked up by basically attacking their gods? So, Halos wouldn't do shit to humanity in 40k anyway. It'd be your average DAoT device that was lost and the Mechanicum would sit around jerking off over it for a few millenia.
>>
>>44479885
That's the with the MC. He's a PC, he has plot and fan armor.

He's a force beyond the understanding of anything within that universe.
>>
>>44471907
Love
>>
>>44479819
Not quite. You push a button to activate the halo rings (their intended use had them all going off simultaneously). Each ring erases all life within some distance (I don't know the exact amount). When all activated at once, the galaxy becomes 100% lifeless. Though you can still activate just one or two for a more localized effect.

>>44479885
If you're referring to the didact, mister chef didn't beat him. Cortana made some hardlight copies of herself and made him trip and fall into... I can't remember what it was, a black hole or a reactor or something, which john later blew up with a nuke
>>
>>44474193
As I recall, it's because the Flood originally came from outside the galaxy, so even destroying all the Flood in the galaxy doesn't guarantee they can't still come back later anyway. Keeping some to study means those who inherit their legacy may find a way to defeat future infestations without having to resort to killing everything.
>>
>>44479926
>mister chef didn't beat him

Yeah, he did. Cortana tied him down with some energy bullshit and then MC got up and punched him in the chest with a grenade, which wounded him enough that he fell into the vortex below.

An übergod defeated by a simple grenade punch.
>>
>>44479885
Technically low but he's got these god genes that nicer forerunners his in humanities genes of not only theirs but ancient humanities and precursor genes as well. Chief just happens to have the god gene purely expressed making him the Reclaimer this gives him some basic super powers most comic book heroes have like Right Place Right Time, and Unnatural Luck. These combined means that so long as he keeps actively attempting something it will eventually happen especially on forerunner tech due to it being based on precursor tech and to a lesser extent covenant tech being based on forerunner tech. He recently got a serious evolutionary boost unlocking his new as yet unknown powers and abilities. Suffice it to say he's extraordinarily durable (fell from orbit and broke only 2 ribs and its hinted from other spartans that the big hunk of metal he rode down landed on him on impact causing the damage) and strong enough to throw around tanks. He also has An Underdog Always wins. This is easily visible in his ever increasing abilities thanks to his increased exposure to precursor power.
Shit gets complicated.
>>
>>44479967
He's only Ãœber when his tech suit works. Cortana shut all that shit down so now you're just dealing with hercules sans indestructibility
>>
>>44479930
Which reminds me, what DID end up happening to the flood post 3? We blew up the ark, yeah, but earth was still covered in flood, wasn't it?

>>44479979
His armor helps a lot as well. You know that huge redesign between 3 and 4? It's the same suit, it just automagically adapts (to what stimuli, while he was in cryosleep? Who knows). Plus being a Spartan II gives him some flat bonuses (faster reflexes, a good 20% taller, a LOT stonger)
>>
>>44478818
Do you have a source? Not saying you're wrong, but I've been into Halo lore a lot and never heard of this. Sounds very interesting.
>>
>>44480101
Technically his reflexes currently sit at infinite. During adrenaline they get spartan time. Time simultaneously slows down by around 400% for them to gather information and speeds up an equal amount for them to act upon it. Besides making literally no sense its pretty sound. As spartans get older this increases as the gene mods fully set and the body adapts to the new hardware currently setting it firmly in the almost unimaginable mode. Then he got that power boost and its safe to say he's a god. He just needs a god suit to go with it and we got a new universal ruler.
>>
>>44480148
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Key_Mind
>>
File: dead-space-brethren-moon.jpg (116 KB, 937x728) Image search: [Google]
dead-space-brethren-moon.jpg
116 KB, 937x728
>>44478818
>Graveminds the size of a planet

Brother!
>>
>>44480197
Planet. P L A N E T. Go play outside or something necromoon.
>>
>>44480224
>moons are always tiny
>planets are always bit

Dude, even in our solar system there are moons bigger than planets.
>>
>>44480101
>You know that huge redesign between 3 and 4? It's the same suit, it just automagically adapts
No it doesn't 343 made up some bullshit that cortana had been upgrading his suit with nanomachines while he was asleep.
>>
File: micromachines_dad.png (563 KB, 867x766) Image search: [Google]
micromachines_dad.png
563 KB, 867x766
>>44480307
>>
>>44480101
>Which reminds me, what DID end up happening to the flood post 3? We blew up the ark, yeah, but earth was still covered in flood, wasn't it?
Actually Earth didn't get covered in Flood. A good bit of flood landed on it but the Arbiter "glassed half a continent" to contain and eliminate the infection before it got out of control. UNSC forces on Earth were not particularly happy about this, but every one who were familiar with what the Flood does agreed it was the smart move.
>>
>>44472179
Necrons do actually have something akin to a nervous system, so they would be affected. That said, it would only be a difference for the 1% of their 'race' that is still able to take independent action - the nobles, crypteks, etc.

Tyranids would also be 100% affected because the Halo Array doesn't just kill higher-thinkers, it destroys the neural pathways of lesser thinking beings too.

Eldar would be the only race to survive in any meaningful fashion, as, like you said, they have psi-shielding - but more importantly, they have an incredible early-warning system that something as huge as a Halo Array activation would light up on like nothing else. Corsairs and Craftworld Eldar would almost certainly retreat into the Webway until the event is over, and most Exodites have the means to do so as well.

Halo Array activation would mean Elfhammer 40,000: Even More Wave Serpents Edition.
>>
>>44481182
One thing about the nids would be the whole coming from outside our galaxy thing, so there would be nids still outside, which given the whole array's galactic range wouldn't be affected. So yeah, elfhammer for a while, then the rest of the nids come in to nom on a much less defended galaxy.

Unless I've got something wrong about Halo, only really played the first two and part of 3.
>>
>>44481182
Necrons are literally AI in a body of grey goo. AI modelled to copy the mind of what was once a living being but still AI. They also exist false necrons, which are necrons whose mind were created from scratch to emulate one of a necrontyr hero dead at the moment of biotransference.

If the halo system don't touch AI or computers then the most it can do is piss off some Overlords by kill their living slaves.

Also as already said in this thread Orks and Tyranids have base form that are just spore or microorganisms. At best you kill all the grown member of their races and leave those to repopulate.
>>
>>44481182
>Necrons do actually have something akin to a nervous system, so they would be affected

The halo array leave technology intact. A circuit is a circuit, you can't say that in a computer is not affected but in a robot it's akin to a nervous system and so it count.

Also learn some biology, the way nerves transmit electricity has nothing in common with the way a metal whire do it.
>>
>>44476837
All the Necrons hoping to reverse the biotransferance are going to be passed as fuck, all the ones who wanted to conquer and rule the lesser races as a new empire are going to feel cheated, many would feel threatened that a weapon of such scale and scope would exist outside their own making, many would be insulted that any race but their own could build such a weapon, and every single one of them would rather see them destroyed than fall I to the hands of a rival dynasty.
>>
>>44479146
Incorrect, Necrons are soulless. The C'Tan munched their souls during the Biotransferance, leaving only an AI shell of thought. Even then, 90% of Necrons were working-class scum who got shitty bodies and one floppy disc's worth of space for their personality, making them just straight-up robots. The highest echelons of Necron society got near-perfect replicas of their minds, but still lost their souls.
>>
>>44481572
>>44481602
Pretty sure Necrons are beyond the use of wires for their internal systems.

And they're referred to as living metal, so, I'm not really sure they can be said to be totally dissimilar from biological creatures. There's definitely a difference between them and straight-up robots.
>>
>>44481794
They should already know that other races can build stuff like the Halo array.

Old Ones and Eldar used shit more advanced than the Halo stations back in the day. Eldar apparently still have a lot of their ancient superweapons squirreled away - like Necrons, they just don't use them because it would run counter to their ultimate aims.
>>
>>44471600
>Yo, found yo mamas hula-hoop
>>
>>44481572
Necron bodies house the conscious minds of the Necrontyr. That was the whole point of the biotransference. Not a simple copy and upload, but the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machine. The lower class the model, of course, the less sophisticated the systems and the more dull the mind. Warriors are little more than automatons with only hints of personality and of their former selves, which accounts for them having some sense of self-preservation. High ranking members, however, are completely as they were before.

>>44482144
It's really a mess when it comes to Necrons. They got wires hanging from their guts while at the same time they're made out of grey goo. They're suppose to be more advanced than mere robots, but then again glitches and solar flares can fuck them.

It really depends on who's writing about them. Are they SkyNet terminators or are they grey goo Cthulhu.
>>
>>44474602
>it would evolve into who can corrupt who fastest
except as soon as the first nid encountered a single flood spore every single nid from that hive ship would be replaced with ones that are 100% immune to the flood
>>
>>44474602
>tyranid would be curious about the flood,
Tyranids aren't "curious".
>deciding to mess around with them
Tyranids don't "mess around" with anything.

The Tyranids would eat them and keep eating them.
>yeah but gravemind
Yeah but zoanthropes. And Malanthropes. And every other psychic strain of 'nid. Don't forget that these things are birthed by the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands or millions in a hive fleet.

I'm not saying that one is particularly better than the other, but what I'm really saying is that your description of the 'nids is like a Saturday Morning cartoon villain.
>>
>>44484065
Wouldn't a flood infected nid just be a worse form of nid even to other nids? Flood convert and improve the already existing organism. Seems like it would just be a never ending process of the nid just feeding the flood.
>>
>>44484497
The issue is though that as soon as one nid is infected the hivemind would know EXACTLY how flood spores works and the exact process they use to hijack anything they infect. It's like when the imperium drops virus bombs on hive ships, anything you do to the nids only works once.
>>
>>44471600
>one
Can't you count to seven any more?
Man, public education really is failing these days.
>>
>>44472965
Not even nervous systems. It effects all biological lifeforms above a particular mass. Ork spores still survive because they are small enough but the squigs are going bye bye along with everything else at the time.

Anyway, when the spores grow, the first things to pop up are squigs and snotlings, then gretchin and finally orks.
>>
>>44474437
Every Craftworld has hundreds of Webway portals dotted all over it and the rear of the Craftworld has an enormous one just for ships to use.
Evacuation would be amazingly quick.

>>44476856
>Psychic Oracles who's entire job is predicting the future as acurately as possible can't predict this because I said so.
What are you, twelve?
>>
>>44478339
Welcome to the biggest plothole in the entire franchise
>>
I'm pretty sure the forerunners could beat most of the 40k factions without their big dumb space donuts. their tanks were supposed to be able to glass continents in one shot
>>
I could beat every faction in halo and 40k by myself.
Fookin fight me irl marines.
Though desu a retarded toddler could beat a tau in melee
>>
>>44486088
Oh yeah? 1 stick versus you. Stick wins.
>>
I am halo.
>>
>>44482172
>They should already know that other races can build stuff like the Halo array
I'm sorry, I should rephrase: they'd be threatened and insulted by the fact that a race they never knew existed managed to construct weapons approaching their own.
>>
>>44484912
>but the squigs are going bye bye along with everything else at the time
Not necessarily. Some squigs are very small.

Imagine the plight of the hairsquigs, starving by the billion as the orks they're bonded to die. The poor, sad gobsquigs going unchewed.
>>
>>44486765
Unless they're single cells they're fucked.
>>
Just a reminder that Halo includes a race called the precursors that would consider the c'tan and the old ones weaklings.

They went extinct because they wanted to find out what going extinct was like.

Then one of their corpses accidentally The Flood
>>
>>44471600
>>44476763
>>44476856
You're talking of a setting were people constantly have visions of the future, a mass extinction event with halos would be foresaw by the Emperor, the grey knights, segmentum command, space marines, eldars, necrons, chaos space marines and daemons.

Then a great peril to the imperium would be stopped, the farseers would have diverted the peril to someone else, the dynasties would maintain their reign supreme, chaos marines would have debilitate one front on the imperium and maintain the status quo of the setting...just as planned.
>>
>>44478837
At the end they can just go through the webway and give the middle finger to the halos, and yes craftworlds can move through the webway.
>>
I think it's safer to say that the Halo rings fit perfectly *into* 40k than that either one is superior than the other.
>>
>>44480008
So an A.I. created by a way lesser species managed to out done every counter measure the übergod had and let him exposed to a deathblow?
>>
>>44488169
Said lesser species was favored by the Forerunners (minus Didact) & Cortana was based off Halsey, a human of great importance. The fight was by no means fair on either side & the Didact left the battle intact & barely a scratch on his armor despite the nuke.
>>
>>44488443
>the Didact left the battle intact & barely a scratch on his armor despite the nuke.
What?
>>
File: Untitled.png (928 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
928 KB, 640x960
>>44488482
Surprisingly so. He later reappeared in a comic where he slaughtered multiple Spartan squads rather easily.
>>
>>44479251
How do you in say both that all the "magic" and "psychic" powers in the setting are just advanced tech and that the setting doesn't have much evidence for souls being a thing and then say in the very same sentence that the halos can destroy souls. How the fuck can they destroy something that doesn't exist in their setting?
>>
>>44471600
Well, they'd be able theoretically to do alot of damage to everything in 40k but the 'crons, same goes for 30k, the halos alone probably would 't do that much to the crons and old ones during war in heaven, though the entie halo seeting could pack a punch against them and fuck knows how it would do against pre fall eldar and dark age humanity, because we know fuck all about how powerful they where other than the already ridiciulous 40k imperium and 40k eldar look like kiddie stuff comapred to pre fall eldar and DAoT humanity.
>>
>>44479788
The abrhamic God is all powerful dumbass. You can't be more powerful than the most powerful thing possible.
>>
>>44488546
They are what? Spartans 3-4? Not great feat, they are cannon fodder Spartans.
>>
>>44488546
>Forerunner armour is so tough it can survive being directly nuked!
>Forerunner combat sentinels are fragile as fuck, though.
What the fuck, 343?
>>
>>44489870
4s are more than fodder. They're not 2s but beyond 3s. The Didact took on Chief and easily kicked his ass on first encounter. Of course they stood no chance.
>>44490958
A Forerunner is much more valuable than shit they churn out in seconds. The Forerunners' industry is extremely, author doesn't know what the word scale means, big.
>>
>>44491418
>A Forerunner is much more valuable than shit they churn out in seconds.
Even so, the difference between 'survives a nuke with a scratch' and 'dies to a few assault rifle bullets' in unbelievably vast. If the Flood had already absorbed forerunner warriors with that kind of armour, Sentinels would have been useless.
>>
>>44486824
>I don't know shit about 40k lore
Both c'tan and old ones mastered reality before giving it the finger, they even mastered dying and then resurrect, that had to make weapons to kill immortal beings.
>>
>>44489870
He killed Black Team, 4 Spartan IIs, with his bare hands
He was about to crush Chief's head while inside the helmet but the monitor shot him in the back.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (417 KB, 747x303) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
417 KB, 747x303
>>44489870
He killed some IVs beforehand, & then proceeded to kick Blue Team + Chief's ass. This includes Kelly, Linda & Fredric.
>>
>>44491482
The Sentinels were little more than support. They're supposed to not get hit due to smaller size & be strong in large groups. A single Forerunner Warrior-Servant could mentally command tons of Sentinels, Drones, Promethean Knights, etc.
>>
>>44492176
Again, useless.
It doesn't matter how many there are if they can't actually hurt the enemy.
>>
File: 1442704463275.jpg (20 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1442704463275.jpg
20 KB, 250x250
>>44482144
Necrodermis is called living metal because it's made out of nanomachines you fucking retard.

The amount of people who haven't read a lick of 40k material is disgusting.
>>
>>44492197
They still could depending on some factors. First off, the Sentinels were made for standard defence from other shit, not exactly handling other Forerunners. They're kinda like the Planetary Defense Force, if they can handle things then great but if not then they stall until help arrives. The later Flood-Forerunner War Flood demolished many Sentinels.

Secondly, they're still capable of some massive firepower depending on unit. On Onyx, those Sentinels had energy shields, A.I. that learns as it fights, and can combine to unleash amazing results. About 49 (Bungie & their love for 7) can combine and vaporize large Covenant ships easily. On Onyx there were about trillions of these things.
>>
File: Wraithguard.jpg (299 KB, 600x882) Image search: [Google]
Wraithguard.jpg
299 KB, 600x882
>>44491671
There is several things that could kill him with one shot however.
>>
>>44492595
>On Onyx there were about trillions of these things.
Then why did they not replace all sentinels with those, if they could be so easily mass-produced?
>>
>>44492449
>it's made out of nanomachines you fucking retard.
ACTUALLY to quote the 7th edition codex
"[T]here are almost as many ways to manipulate matter as there are Crypteks. Captive phase-gates, subatomic infusers and temporal loop shrouds can all exhibit similar effects to nanoscarab swarms. To an Overlord, how these abilities work are of little concern, as long as they do."
>>
>>44492449
THANKYOU.gif
>>
>>44492700
You missed the part above that sentence where they go on for a full paragraph about nanoscarabs being necrodermis.
>>
>>44492595
no no no, the planet didn't house the sentinels

it was MADE of sentinels, the parts that were not made of them were forerunner buildings to house the sentinel production and the entrance to the shield world
>>
>>44478857
>>44479134
>Pretty soon we have to deal with a Phyrexian-Eldrazi-Sliver-Flood-Nid-Xenomorph-Borg-Hollow-Sith-Spiral Nemesis-Reaper-D.Reaper-Metroid hybrid that has all of the Infinity Stones, the entire Tri-Force, has absorbed every Pokemon, has all of the God cards, has all the powers of the Sage of Six Paths, and can create Kyrptonite on the fly.

>One Punch Man: "Ok."
>>
>>44479788
>Imagine a universe filled with people who's individual personal power exceeds that of the Abrahamic God.

Trying too hard m8
>>
>>44471600
>Tyranids
Most aren't even in the milky way yet and would be unaffected

>Orks
Spores would be unaffected and they would just be reborn.

>Humans
Those on the fringes of the galaxy, in the warp, or in voidshield protected hive citys / fortress worlds would probably be fine.

>CWEldar
Those in the webway would be fine, most are located near the galaxy fringe, and the weapons may not be able to penetrate psychic shielding.
At worst all wraith constructs would still be fine until they are retrieved by surviving members..

>Corsairs
See CWE

>Dark Eldar
Completely fine in the webway

>Adeptus Mechanicus
Those in the warp are fine, and I would be shocked if forge worlds aren't heavily shielded.

>Tau
Probably fucked shield worlds / space ports might survive.

>Chaos
100% a-okay in the warp and those in real space are likely immune to neural affects.

>CSM
See chaos

>Space Marines
Those in the warp or stationed in shielded areas survive, geneseed vaults 100% fine in order to rebuild.

>Necrons
Don't even notice they have done worse after they won the war in heaven.
Did I miss any?
>>
>>44493392
you missed the part where I was saying there was an almost infinite amount of ways they do it other than nanoscarabs.
>>
>>44493715
What makes you think the shields could do anything at all? They didn't do anything to help the inhabitants of the halo universe.
>>
>>44494227
As I recall, shields in 40k are not conventional "wall made of energy" shields, but rather plop anything that hits them into the Warp. You don't stop the blast, you just send it somewhere you don't particularly care about.
>>
>>44494553
I admittedly don't know much about 40k technology, which is why I asked, but you can pierce them, right? And if you can piece them with a force LESS than a galaxy-wide explosion, I figure a galaxy wide explosion would also do the trick.
>>
>>44494683
I'd have to dig out some books to remind myself, but I think they need to recharge after each hit; it only takes a moment, but if you fire a load of shots or a continuous stream of energy, then you get past it that way. There's no way to "overpower" them, since they're just portals, so unless there's lore saying otherwise I'm unaware of, a shield can shunt off any amount of damage as long as it all happens at the same time. The question then is what a Halo shot actually does, which I don't think we know.
>>
>>44494839
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Shield
>>
>>44494683
Gellar fields essentially create a pocket dimension around the ship, impassable by creatures if the immaterial realm called the warp. Point being, they simply leave reality when they notice a large, dangerous energy anomaly building. Can't really hit what isn't there.

In the case of a ship that couldn't make the jump in time things start getting a bit vague. Ship-to-ship combat in 40k is about as nuts as the rest of the setting; psykers will attempt to mind control key crew or set magic fire to key systems, cogboys are firing guns the size of cities at each other, space marines are loading up on ship sized torpedoes and boarding enemy crafts with them, and that's just off the top of my head. To my understanding many of these weapons have to either be designed to fire across both realms, or fire an amount of energy or mass with enough power to threaten the structural integrity of a solar body. At most, it seems a halo can destroy the atmosphere and surface of a planet? That's nothing to sneeze at, sure, but I'm not sure I'd call that a threat to crafts designed to literally fly through an ever burning hellscape.
>>
>>44495275
The Halo Array destroyed ALL complex life in the galaxy that wasn't in another dimension at the time or out of range, and there was only one place in the whole galaxy that was out of range.
So those Gellar Feilds would probably protect the ships since they involve moving the ship to another dimension, but they would have to be on at the instant the explosion hit to do so.
>>
>>44492698
Why not arm every Imperial Guardsman with Plasma guns if they're coming off the production line in millions? A single Forerunner Warrior-Servant can command millions of machines at a time. Even trillions might not be enough to go around.
>>
>>44495822
Well the guardsman one is easy they have to arm trillions+ of guardsmen not millions.
>>
>>44495379
Void shields which are the things that shunt attacks to other dimension are mounted on anything considered remotely valuable such as, ships, large cities, space ports, (some) large tanks, and have front line portable shield generators, and in the case of forge worlds the entire planets.

If sending the attack to another dimension would protect them from the halo array then worst case scenario nearly all food production planets (agri worlds) would likely get fucked which would leave to most hive cities starving.
Best case scenario local commanders use brains and resources to repopulate agri worlds (unlikely).
>>
File: 1443797090151.jpg (104 KB, 634x949) Image search: [Google]
1443797090151.jpg
104 KB, 634x949
> Tfw when this thread was made with the intention of pure fanwank
> hurr durr my universe could destroy yours with a simple thing

OP confirmed for autistic and knowing shit about 40k.
>>
>>44479883
I'm not sure if I could be a good day to be a good day w the best thing ever is when you have to be a good day to be a good time to get a good day
>>
File: 1374371142863.jpg (817 KB, 3000x1181) Image search: [Google]
1374371142863.jpg
817 KB, 3000x1181
Where do the flood stand in the 40k universe?
>>
>>44496673
The Forerunners also had a rather big population. Exact numbers? I don't know. But there are still many before the rings blew up everything.
>>
>>44499911
Varying heavily on available resources. The way they are now? Cannon fodder. During their prime? Every Tyranid in the universe wouldn't stand a chance.
>>
>>44501062
Lets say we have a multi gravemind situation, where each gravemind works together for the good of the flood.
>>
>>44501088
Still rather vague. Is it enough for a Keymind? Did they pop up & latch onto an entire Imperial Guard Regiment or something? Multiple Graveminds is enough for them to play great mind games but not too much. If the Precursors were influencing them like in the Forerunner Trilogy then they could shat out plans that'd make Tzeentch orgasm so hard that Slaanesh would be out of a job. (Just as planned?)
>>
>People sayin shit like nids outnumbering flood
Ha ha.
Nah.
Both tyranids and the flood are explicitly extragalactic invaders who have destroyed who knows how many galaxies before coming to this one.
Assume them to be at least even in number, on the universal scale.
Thread replies: 205
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.